Duncans in Jackson Co. MO Histories before 1923


Duncan research files of
Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson
the Genealogy Bug

Last revised November 23, 2007

HISTORIES before 1923

HISTORIES before 1923

1881 "The History of Jackson County, Missouri ... : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., biographical sketches ... history of Missouri, maps of Jackson County" pub. by Union Historical Co. (Los Angeles Public Library book 977.81 J13Hi; FHL book 977.841 H2h and films 962,549 item 1 and 1,000,293 item 2; late references not copied)
      No John D. Wallace & wife Nellie Duncan m. bef. 1838 (MAD: John C/D. Wallace and wife Nellie Duncan of St. Louis settled in Jackson Co. MO in 1838; he died in 1890's; a granddau. was Nell Wallace Brown, in newspaper article by Margaret Olwine in "The Kansas City Times" Wednesday, September 20, 1967, Newspaper Clipping; a daughter was Elizabeth Cynthia Wallace who died age 94, born Jackson Co. MO, from obit in Sept. or Nov. 9, 1938, "Intercity News" of Kansas City, Jackson Co. MO; from Iris Grimmett 3/1994)
      Pg.324-5: Petition, October, 1871, by Citizens of Sni-A-Bar Township against carrying firearms; signed by T.J. Duncan and R.W. Duncan among others.
      Pg.329: Van Buren Township. New Liberty Church was constituted in 1859 with the following named members: ... Elias Duncan and wife, Thornton Duncan and wife.
      Pg.763: Kansas City. WILLIAM G. DUNCAN was born in Fairfield Co. CT, in 1854, and was there principally reared. In 1875 removed to St. Paul, MN, where he resided for two years, and in 1877 came to Kansas City, which has since been his home. ...
      Pg.887, Blue Township: I.W. DUNCAN, Farmer and stock raiser, section 33, post-office Independence, was born in Nelson Co. KY, November 2, 1835, and was there reared on a farm, and partly educated in the common schools. He afterward attended the Central College of Danville, KY, graduating ... September, 1857, when he returned to his father's farm. There remained till July, 1873, when he immigrated to Jackson County ... He was married February 1, 1859, to Miss Susie Lee. She is a native of Boyle Co. KY, and was born December 27, 1841. They have had ten children, eight of whom are living: Ellis, Lee, Garnett, Robert W., Thomas G., Cameron, Mary E. and Annie C.
      Pg.932: Van Buren Township. WILLIAM CASH, farmer and hotel-keeper, Lone Jack, MO, was born in Wilkes Co. NC April 16, 1815, and was a son of Lewis and Mary Cash. At an early age he moved with his parents to Lincoln Co. KY. Lived in Lincoln Co. till about 17 years of age, then to Lexington 3 years, then Brucken (sic) Co. KY and worked at his trade for about 7 years. He was married July 7, 1840, to Miss Elizabeth Duncan, who was born in Pendleton Co. KY October 3, 1823, she being a daughter of Thornton and Mary Duncan. This couple then moved to Harrison Co. and remained there till they moved to MO, in 1856, when they settled in Benton Co. and lived there 8 years; thence to Cooper Co. MO and remained there until 1877, when they located in Lone Jack. Eleven children, six of whom are still living: Thornton, born Oct. 10, 1843; Oscar, Oct. 13, 1845; Mary E., Nov. 10, 1847; Milton, May 4, 1853; Ellen, April 29, 1858; John H., Jan. 8, 1861. ...

1896 "Memorial & Biographical Record of Kansas City and Jackson Co. MO" by Lewis Pub. Co. (Los Angeles Public Library book 977.81 J13Me; FHL book 977.841 D3m and FHL film 1000293 Item 3)
      No Duncan biography indexed
      Pg.554+: ZACH G. COOPER ... born September 8, 1815, on the old family homestead in Nelson Co. KY. His father was John Cooper, a native of Loudoun Co. VA, and his grandfather, Benjamin Cooper, was a native of England. The mother of our subject, who born the maiden name of Mary Duncan, was born in Loudoun county, and was a daughter of Harry Duncan, of Virginia. Both families removed to Kentucky when nothing but a fort marked the site of the city of Louisville. They settled in Nelson county, where the father of our subject was married and cleared a farm, spending his remaining days thereon. Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cooper, of whom three are now living: Mrs. Miranda Dugan, of Nelson Co. KY, whose son Thomas now owns the old family homestead there; Zach G.; and Benjamin, a very wealthy planter living in Louisiana, ....

1920 "History of Jackson Co. MO" by W.Z. Hickman (FHL book 977.841 H2hj; other Duncan references were late, after 1880)
      Pg.623-4: JOHN E. LIGHTFOOT, a Civil War veteran, and for many years a resident of Jackson Co, now deceased, was a native of KY; born in Pendleton Co. on Aug. 7, 1841, and died in Jackson Co. on March 4, 1919. He was a son of Frank and Louisa (Dunken) Lightfoot, both natives of TN. They moved to KY at an early day and there reared a family of five children, of whom John E. was the third in order of birth. John E. Lightfoot came to MO from KY in 1882, settled first in Johnson Co. 14 years, then Jackson Co., farmed; during Civil War served 3 years in Confederate cavalry under General Morgan; discharged at Mt. Sterling, KY; Democrat, member of Masonic lodge. Dec. 2, 1869, John E. Lightfoot married Miss Louisa Colvin, native of Harrison Co. KY, born Aug. 9, 1847, who now resides with her son Charles C. in Van Buren Twp, Jackson Co. John E. Lightfoot & wife had children: the eldest, a daughter, died infancy; Frank lives near Lone Jack; James in Pleasant Hill; Susan married William Cogswell and resides in Jackson Co.; May married Oliver Thompson and lives near Lone Jack; Ruth married William Ingrum and is now deceased; and Charles D., born Johnson Co. MO Oct. 10, 1885, married on Jan. 4, 1910, to Miss Bettie Perdue, native of Jackson Co., dau. of Daniel and Amanda (Tyler) Perdue ...

1908 "Kansas City, Missouri : its history and its people, 1808-1908" (Jackson Co.) by Carrie Westlake Whitney; pub. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co. (LH8312, HeritageQuest images 5/2007; FHL book 977.8411 H2w v.1-3 and film 1,036,833)
      Vol.I, pg.230 & 660: John A. Duncan, 3d lieutenant (of Craig Rifles, Civil War)
      Vol.I, pg.679: 1881, 1882 - W.G. Duncan a city Councilman
      Vol.II, pg.568: THOMAS M. BARHAM, ... born in Greene county, Missouri, February 10, 1867. His father, William F. Barham, was a prominent farmer and stockman, who married Tennessee Duncan. Both were natives of this state. The father is now deceased but the mother resides in Ash Grove, Missouri. The Barhams are one of the old families of this state, the grandfather, Thomas G. Barham, having settled in Greene county, Missouri, upon his removal from Virginia in 1828. ... (MAD: more on Thomas M. Barham, not copied here)
      Vol.III, pg.501-504: STEPHEN H. RAGAN, M.D., ... born in Texas, September 3, 1864, near Johnson Station in Tarrant county. ... son of Stephen C. Ragan ... [who] married Miss Josephine Chiles, a daughter of Alexander Chiles ... who became a pioneer settler of Jackson county, Missouri. Dr. Stephen H. Ragan ... on the 22d of November, 1885, Dr. Ragan was married in Jackson county to Miss Vena Duncan, a native of Kansas and a daughter of Thomas Duncan, who was born in Missouri but became a resident of Kansas during the pioneer epoch in its history. Dr. and Mrs. Ragan have three children: Walter H., who is attending the Western Dental College; Stephen T., a student in the University Medical College; and Alpha. ...
      Pg.651-652: SAMUEL F. FREEMAN, ... was a member of the Freeman-Duncan Transfer & Realty Company. He came to this city about 1870 and here remained up to the time of his demise. ... Samuel F. Freeman was then alone in business for a few years, while later William G. Duncan became his partner and the Freeman-Duncan Transfer & Realty Company was organized. The business is still conducted ... with Mr. Duncan as president, ...

1883 "The History of Cass and Bates counties, Missouri : containing a history of these counties, their cities, towns; biographical sketches of their citizens, general and local statistics, history of Missouri" pub. by National Historical Co. (Los Angeles Public Library book 977.81 C34Hi, and FHL book 977.84 H2h, Vol.2)
      Pg.685-686, Cass Co., Dolan Twp.: J.W. DUNCAN, farmer, section 22, is a native of Nelson Co. KY, and was born in 1829, being a son of Seth and Jane (Carter) Duncan. The former, originally from Martinsburgh [Berkeley Co.], Virginia, was born in February, 1800, and with his parents moved to Kentucky in 1805. He died May 16, 1849. His wife was also born in Nelson County, Kentucky, in 1800. She died January 16, 1849. They were married in 1822 and had a family of seven children: Thomas, William H., M.J., J.W., Stephen, John and R.C. The subject of this sketch was raised and educated in his native county, and began life for himself in 1849 as a farmer. In 1857 he went to Jackson Co. MO, and in the spring of 1870 came from there to Cass County, settling where he now resides. ... Mr. Duncan was married November 4, 1867, to Miss Lillie M. Anthony, a native of Morgan Co. MO, born in 1856. Her parents were William and Mellissa Anthony, Kentuckians by birth. Mrs. D. was raised and educated in Jackson Co. MO. They have four children: Rua C., Mary J., N.T. and Lucy M. They are both members of the Baptist Church.

ca1912 "Compendium of History and Biography of Linn Co. MO" by H. Taylor (FHL book 977.824 D3c; also from Louis Boone 10/1984)
      Pg.736-7: J.W. DUNCAN of Bucklin Township ... native of this State, born in Franklin Co. on February 16, 1844. .... His parents, Thomas J. and Margaret (Nelson) Duncan were also natives of that county and the mother died there in 1849 when her son J.W. was but 5 years old. .... In 1859 the father moved to MO and located in Jackson Co. There he died in 1903. (LB: dates are wrong) His father Elijah Duncan came to MO from TN and after a residence of some years in this state died in Holt Co. .... Mr. Duncan was first married in 1869 and by that union became the father of 10 children, all of whom are living. Their mother died in 1893, and in 1894 the father married a second wife, joining himself with Mrs. Crippen, a widow of this county. Have three children of whom two are living.

1906 "The Book of Missourians : the achievements and personnel of notable living men and women of Missouri in the opening decade of the twentieth century" ed. by M.L. Van Nada; pub. Chicago: T.J. Steele & Co. (LH10659, HeritageQuest images 5/2007; FHL film 1,651,390)
      Pg.450: STEPHEN HOOD RAGAN, M.D., born September 3, 1864, near Johnson Station, Tarrant county, Tex., son of Col. Stephen C. Ragan. ... Dr. Ragan was married November 22, 1885, to Miss Vena Duncan, a daughter of Thomas Duncan, who is a native of Missouri, and a pioneer settler of Wyandotte county, Kansas. Three children have been born, Walter, Stephen and Alpha Ragan. Business and residence address, 3034 Holmes, Kansas City, Missouri. (MAD: Kansas City, Jackson Co. MO)

1878 "The United States biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self-made men" (no editor given) Pub. New York. United States Biographical Pub. Co. (from Kathy D. Cawley by email 11/20/2005; also on FHL film 934926 Item 5)
      Missouri volume, pg.246, 246a (picture of Herman C. Duncan), 247, 248: REV. HERMAN COPE DUNCAN, KANSAS CITY [Jackson Co. MO].
      REV. HERMAN COPE DUNCAN is a native of Louisiana. On the paternal side he is a descendant of a long line of distinguished Scotchmen. His father's grandsire was an eminent promoter of the scheme to place Charles Edward, the last of the Stuarts, on the united throne of England and Scotland, and because of his prominence, after the disastrous battle of Culloden, he was banished and his estates confiscated. Reaching this country he settled in Massachusetts, and while residing there took part in the "Boston Tea Party." Subsequently he removed to Central Pennsylvania and afterward to Washington, Mason county, Kentucky. Several of his sons were distinguished in the Black Hawk war. His son David Duncan at one time resided near New Mardrid, Missouri Territory. Here Greer Brown Duncan, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born. His birthplace was annexed to the State of Kentucky by the violent earthquake of 1811, which changed the course of the Mississippi river. Greer Brown Duncan was admitted to the bar in Terre Haute, Indiana. Subsequently he removed to New Orleans, and won high rank in the social and political world. His universally successful defense of the property owners against the claims of the celebrated Myra Clark Gaines, and his advocacy of the rights of the cities of New Orleans and Baltimore in the matter of the McDonough estates, greatly distinguished him. Daniel Webster said, in addressing the Supreme Court of the United States in the latter suit, that Mr. Duncan was a zealous member of the vestry of Christ's Church, New Orleans, a prominent organizer in the diocese in the General (national) Convention. October 1, 1845, he married Mary Jane Cope, a native of Baltimore and daughter of Herman Cope, who was for many years treasurer of the General (national) Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Their only child, Herman Cope Duncan, the subject of this sketch, was born August 12, 1846. At an early age he was left an orphan, his mother dying January 10, 1856, and his father, June 25, 1858. He prepared for college at the Episcopal Academy, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was graduated with honors at the Pennsylvania University in 1867. Having given up the study of the law, for which profession he had begun to fit himself, he determined early in his junior year at college to seek holy orders; he deferred his application to be received as a candidate, however, until the latter part of 1866. He entered the Philadelphia Divinity School in September 1867, but soon after found that he could make greater progress in his studies by pursuing them in private. He accordingly applied for and received an honorable discharge from the seminary, and was enabled by due diligence to pass his examinations nearly two years ahead of his class. He received ordination as a deacon from the Bishop of Louisiana, J.P.B. Wilmer, D.D., in the Church of the Transfiguration, New York city, October 25, 1868. In the same year the Rev. H.C. Duncan was placed in charge of Emmanuel Church, New Orleans, where he officiated for fifteen months. He succeeded in paying off a large indebtedness on the parish and greatly increased the congregation. At the Diocesan Council of 1870 Mr. Duncan was made secretary of the diocese, to which office he was constantly reelected until he left the diocese. Several times mutatis mutandis the council adopted resolutions declaring
      "That the thanks of this council are eminently due and hearby tendered to the Rev Herman C. Duncan, for the faithful and able manner in which he was discharged his arduous duties."
      In December, 1870, he took charge of Calvary Church, New Orleans. He had to face another indebtedness, which was largely reduced during his ministration. In this parish, January 22, 1871, he was ordained priest by the Bishop of Louisiana, J.P.B. Wilmer, D.D. In April of the same year he was elected registrar and historian of the diocese. As to his administration, while in this office, the following resolution adopted by the Diocesan Council in 1876, after he had left the diocese, will speak for themselves:
      "Whereas, the Rev. Herman Cope Duncan, late registrar and historian, obtained and arranged a most complete and valuable collection of historical documents to be placed among the archives of this diocese; therefore be it
Resolved, that this council tender to its late registrar and historian its sincere thanks for his long, efficient and untiring service in that capacity."
      In 1872 he resigned the charge of Calvary Church and entered upon a missionary life in the Florida parishes of Louisiana. He spent twenty months in this work, filling eleven appointments each month. During this time he was instrumental in causing to be built three churches in Tangipahoa parish. The erection of the Grace Church, Hammond, one of the most ornate rural churches in the state, was the result of a stimulus of five hundred dollars procured by him from an unknown lady friend of New York city. Previous to this the people had felt unable to accomplish anything, nut with this help they succeeded in raising a sufficient sum to build a church valued at $3,500. His mission work, at this and other places in the field, was successful in laying the foundation for that permanent growth of the Church which is now being largely realized.
      In 1873 Mr. Duncan was elected a director of the Protestant Episcopal Association and also one of the diocesan board of trustees of endowment funds. He was at once elected secretary of the board, and while holding the office succeeded in inspiring a renewed zeal in the conduct of the board where before there had been so great a want of it that a meeting had not been held for several years. In 1874 he returned to his old field of labor in the Sixth District of New Orleans. In the meantime a new parish called St. Mark's Church had been developed from Emmanuel Church, and of this he took charge. The parish was overwhelmingly in debt, but he succeeding in reuniting the two parishes under the name of St. George's Church, and left it at the time of his resignation, October 1875, unencumbered. In April, 1875, Mr. Duncan was elected trustee of the Church Education Society of Louisiana and in the same year a member of the Board of Missions of the General (National) Church.
      In November, 1875, he removed to Illinois and became rector of the Bishop Whitehouse Memorial Church, Chicago, which position he held for some nine months, when he returned to New Orleans and took temporary charge of Christ Church, the parent parish of the Southwest. Here he remained during the summer. While in this charge he was called to the rectorship of Grace Church, Kansas City. He was personally unknown to any of the parishioners of this charge, and was elected entirely on the ground of his reputation. He accepted the invitation and entered upon his duties, October, 1876. He was almost immediately thereafter appointed by the bishop of the diocese, dean of the missionary district of Kansas City, embracing the counties of Jackson, Platte, Clay, Lafayette, Cass and Johnson. He organized the convocation in January, 1877. Grace Church is enjoying a great degree of prosperity under his administration.
      In 1870 Mr. Duncan was elected a fellow of the New Orleans Academy of Sciences, and subsequently was made chairman of the scientific section of philology, in which position he filled the usual lecture requirements. He is Past Master of Jefferson Lodge, No. 191, A.F. & A.M. of New Orleans, and Past M.E. High Priest of Kansas City Royal Arch Chapter. He has organized and is Thrice Illustrious Master of Palace Council, No. 21, Royal and Select Masters, Kansas City; Prelate of Kansas City Commandery No. 10, and is Past Grand Prelate of the Grand Commandery Knights Templar of Louisiana. He has held the office of Grand Chaplain of the Grand Council of the State of Louisiana, and has recently been elected to the same position in Missouri. During the existence of the McEnery government, from 1872 to 1876, Mr. Duncan was Chaplain of the Senate of Louisiana. During the winter of 1878 Mr. Duncan was elected Chaplain of Co. A. Jackson County National Guards.
      In character, Mr. Duncan displays great individuality. It is evident that he copies from no one, but hews out his own path. The legal acumen necessary in abstruse investigation he has evidently inherited from his distinguished father. Tenacity of purpose and boldness of enterprise he possesses in an eminent degree, and his record shows that he has remarkable executive ability. The chosen purpose of his life seized hold of his brain with the grip of doom. His power to achieve great things lay in his intense resoluteness, which made him proof against all confusing and diverting influences. He formed at the outset of his career a solemn purpose to make the most and best of the powers which God had given him, and to turn to the best possible account every outward advantage within his reach. This purpose has carried with it the assent of the reason, the approval of the conscience and the sober judgment of the intellect, and to-day we see few men of his age his equal and none his superior.

1921 "Montana, its story and biography : a history of aboriginal and territorial Montana and three decades of statehood" by L.E. Munson, ed. by Tom Stout; pub. Chicago: American Historical Society (LH12734, HeritageQuest images 5/2007 & 8/2007; FHL book 978.6 H2s v.2 and film 1,000,175)
      Vol.III, pg.1014-1017: TYSON D. DUNCAN. ... one of the best known ranchmen, now retired, in the Flathead Valley. Mr. Duncan might be called twice a pioneer of Montana. He first came in the ... sixties, as one of the younger members of the Duncan family. Later, after an absence of a number of years, he returned again, and in the early eighties he and his wife were among the first to settled in the wonderful Flathead country, at what is now Kalispell. ... He is of pioneer American stock. About 1795 his grandfather migrated from Maryland to Kentucky, which had just been admitted to the Union but was still a part of the Western wilderness. The family lived there until 1817, and then with wife and five children, two sons and three daughters, the grandfather migrated to Howard County, Missouri, which marked another Western frontier. They made their home five miles east of Fayette, the county seat, and started the clearing of the land and the building of a home. About two years later, while out hunting, the grandfather Duncan was mistaken for a bear by a neighbor, and his death was one of the tragedies of the frontier community. ... The grandmother showed the courage of many pioneer women and with the aid of her boys eventually saw her ambition fulfilled for a comfortable home. The children grew up and married and settled down in homes of their own.
            When the family moved from Kentucky to Missouri, Ashley Duncan, the youngest son, was about nine years of age. Ashley Duncan remained in Howard County until 1848, when he bought a tract of land in the abandoned Mormon settlement in Northwest Missouri, at Far West, in Caldwell County, about seven miles from the county seat of Kingston. ... He and his family moved into that house in the spring of 1849 and lived there two or three years until he could erect a more suitable dwelling.
            At that time Tyson D. Duncan was about a year and a half old. He was born at the old home near Fayette, September 28, 1847, son of Ashley and Eliza (Sproul) Duncan. He was the twelfth of their thirteen children. Mr. Duncan's early memories and associations are all centered at the old neighborhood at Far West. He was early put to work, and at the age of fourteen was considered a good hand on the farm. ... In time all the Duncan boys went West except one who went South and entered the army, but returned after the war.
            Two of his brothers and two half-brothers and Mr. Duncan's only sister came to Montana in 1864. The party traveled overland with ox teams. Then in the spring of 1865, his father, having sold the farm, went to St. Joseph, and April 25th he and his wife and younger children, including Tyson, took passage on the steamer Cora bound for Fort Benton, Montana. ... About June 20th, relates Mr. Duncan, the boat landed at the mouth of the Maries River, where two of the Duncan boys were waiting with ox teams to take the family on to Helena. ... They reached Helena about July 10th, and within a month the family suffered the grievous loss of the death of the mother. ... The Duncan family located in the Boulder Valley, thirty miles south of Helena, and Tyson Duncan remained there until the following spring ... The next seventeen years of his life Mr. Duncan lived chiefly in Missouri, two years in Jackson County, in the vicinity of Kansas City. In November, 1868, he went to St.Clair County, Missouri, and there on November 25, 1869, married Miss Sarah Caton. It is appropriate to look ahead from that date just fifty years to November 25, 1919, when Mr. and Mrs. Duncan ... celebrated their golden wedding anniversary.
            During the early seventies Mr. Duncan spent two years in Colorado, six months in Bent County and the rest of the time at Silver Cliff in Custer County. In the spring of 1881, while in Missouri, Mr. Duncan contracted a severe case of western fever, and in February, 1882, having sold his little farm, he joined a party of about thirty bound for the West and Northwest. They left Kansas City March 1, 1882, ... to Rogue River Valley in Oregon. The stay in Oregon was brief, only ten days. Mr. Duncan ... continued his journey to Portland, and on the 30th of May took boat and went back up the Columbia River to The Dalles, thence taking the trail over the mountains to Montana. ... Here began his second period of pioneering in Montana. His plans being unsettled, Mrs. Duncan soon returned to Missouri, but he remained there until the following April, when ... to Flathead Valley ... April 16, 1883, they reached the Flathead Valley at the west side of the [Flathead] Lake. ... He filed a claim, stopped at Helena to complete the filing, about the first of June went on to Boulder Valley and assembled his possessions. ... Near Anaconda he took employment with a rancher, helping him put up hay, and about the 15th of August his wife joined him after coming from Missouri, and on the 27th of the same month they loaded their few belongings into a wagon and started for their new home in Flathead Valley ... reached September 9, 1883. ... His nearest neighbor and the first settler in that part of the valley was Nicholas P. Moon, who had located there about three years before. ... In the fall of 1884, Flathead Valley held its first election ... Missoula County, Mr. Duncan was elected justice [of the peace] ... the founding of the new Town of Kalispell, 15 April 1891 ... Politically Mr. Duncan gives his support to the democratic party, religiously he is a member of the Free Methodist Church and Mrs. Duncan is of the Presbyterian faith. ... (MAD: 1880 Custer Co. CO census indexed as "Lyson" Duncan)

1921 "Montana, its story and biography : a history of aboriginal and territorial Montana and three decades of statehood" by L.E. Munson, ed. by Tom Stout; pub. Chicago: American Historical Society (LH12734, HeritageQuest images 5/2007 & 8/2007; FHL book 978.6 H2s v.2 and film 1,000,175)
      Vol.II, pg.645: A.J. DUNCAN. Among the men who are representing their districts in offices of civic importance, ... is A.J. Duncan, the clerk and recorder of Lewis and Clark County. He has long been a leader in the local ranks of the democratic party, ... Mr. Duncan, who was born at Oak Grove in Jackson County, Missouri, in December, 1876, traces descent in the paternal line to Scotland, but during colonial times the family became established in the South, as did also his family on the maternal side, who were originally from England. The father of A.J. Duncan was Robert Duncan, born in November, 1834, near Frankfort, Kentucky, and died at Helena, Montana, in October, 1918. The parents of Robert Duncan removed to Jackson County, Missouri, as early as 1840, where they were among the pioneers, and where A.T. Duncan, the grandfather of A.J., was a farmer for many years. He died there shortly before the birth of his grandson. He had served in the campaign against the Indians. His wife bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Bywaters, and both she and her husband were born in Kentucky. (MAD: Helena, Lewis and Clark Co. MT; see Logan Co. KY)
            Robert W. Duncan, a son of these Missouri pioneers, was reared, educated and married in Jackson County, and there for many years he followed farming. In April, 1883, he came to Montana and located in the Prickly Pear Valley near Helena, where he resumed his farming operations and became one of the community's influential citizens. He finally retired from an active life and moved into Helena in 1900, where for eighteen years or until his death he lived in the enjoyment of the rewards of former toil. In 1854, during the days of the California gold excitement, he crossed the plains to that state and spent about eight years in placer mining, returning then to his home in Jackson County, Missouri. He upheld the principles and policies of the democratic party, was a devout and consistent member of the Baptist Church, and for many years enjoyed affiliations with the Masonic fraternity. He joined the order when but twenty-one years of age, ... When trouble arose between the North and South he enlisted for service in 1862 in the Confederate cause, ... been taken prisoner and later exchanged.
            In his early life Robert W. Duncan married Maria Joyce, who survives him and resides at Helena. She was born in Missouri in April, 1843. The following children were born to this union: J.M., a rancher in Richland County, Montana; Effie B., the wife of Thomas Matthews, who came to Montana with the pioneers of the '60s, and is now a retired rancher living at Bozeman; J.F., who is engaged in ranching in Richland County, Montana, near his brother J.M.; Eldridge Hill, who died during his youth; Eugene Herbert, who also died when young; A.J., of Helena; Lilborn, who died when young; Lula, the wife of Charles Grant, a merchant at Condon, Oregon; and Leona C., who resides with her mother in Helena, where she is serving as the deputy county clerk and recorder. During 1913 and 1916 she served as the county superintendent of schools for Sanders County.
            After training in the rural schools of Lewis and Clark County, A.J. Duncan entered the Montana Wesleyan University in Prickly Pear Valley, now known as the Montana Wesleyan College of Helena, where he spent about four years. After attaining his twenty-fourth year he left his father's ranch and came to Helena and was appointed deputy clerk and recorder of Lewis and Clark County in February, 1901. He filled that position for five years, or until the spring of 1906, when he was elected the city treasurer, ... and two years later in 1908 was reelected ... and served for four years. In the fall of 1910 he was defeated ... and then engaged in the real estate business. In November, 1912, Mr. Duncan was elected the clerk and recorder of Lewis and Clary County, ... and during the years of 1914-16-18 was returned to the office and is the present incumbent ...
            The home of Mr. Duncan is at 701 Sixth Avenue, Helena. He was married in 1905, in Bozeman, Montana, to Miss Esther Gullic, a daughter of F.B. and Martha (Wallis) Gullic. The father, who was a mine operator in California, died in that state, and the mother is now living in Helena. The two children of Mr. and Mrs. Duncan are Maria, born in April, 1907, and Robert Wallace, born in June, 1910. ...

1904 "An Illustrated history of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas Counties : with an outline of the early history of the state of Washington." by G Blanchet, G J Rains, Narcisse Raymond; pub. unknown: Whipporwill Publication, 197-?, 1166 pgs.; pub. Chicago : Interstate Pub. Co., 1904, 941 pgs. (LH12358, HeritageQuest images 5/2007, 7/2007 & 8/2007; FHL book 979.75 D3i and film 1,036,104 item 1 and 396,346)
      Pg.919: JOHN H. CASH, head blacksmith at Cle-Elum [Kittitas Co.], learned trade with his father and brothers at Lone Jack, Missouri, born at Kansas City in 1861. His father, William Cash, a blacksmith, born in North Carolina 1832 and raised in Kentucky, died June 13, 1891. The mother, Elizabeth (Duncan) Cash, was born in Kentucky in 1841, and died November 5, 1891. Her ancestors were Kentucky pioneers, and her father, Thornton Duncan, was a veteran in the Mexican war. ... (MAD: more on John H. Cash family & children not copied; dates as given) (MAD: see the 1881 History of Jackson Co. MO biography of William Cash on pg.932)

1883 "History of the State of Kansas : containing a full account of its growth from an uninhabited territory to a wealthy and important state; of its early settlements; a supplementary history and description of its counties, cities, towns and villages, their advantages, industries and commerce, to which are added biographical sketches and portraits of prominent men and early settlers" ed. by William G. Cutler, A.T. Andreas; pub. Chicago : A.T. Andreas (FHL book 978.1 H2hi 1976 & v.2; FHL film 982,248 items 1-2)
      Pg.470: Leavenworth Co., Sherman Twp. FRANK M. DUNCAN, merchant, block 2, in Linwood, came to Kansas in the fall of 1867. First located in Linwood, then called "Stranger" (and formerly Journey Cake), on the Delaware Indian Reserve. He was born near Keokuk, Iowa, November 17, 1856. He is the son of John S. and Annie Duncan. In 1859 his parents removed to Memphis, Tenn., and thence to Kansas City one year afterward. Remained at Kansas City seven years and then moved to Linwood. The summer of 1873 was spent at Grand Tower, Ill., and part of the year of 1875, at Oberlin, Ohio, where he learned telegraphy at college. He has been engaged in the railroad service for seven years; was with the K.P. road in Kansas until March, 1881, when he went to Colorado and engaged as Chief Clerk in the "Resident-Engineers" office, of the Denver and Rio Grande R.R. Served in this capacity thirteen months and then returned to Linwood and went to merchandising. He was married at Linwood, September 15, 1880 to Viola Tudhope, daughter of John and Mary Tudhope. She died October 31, same fall. She was a native of Ohio, and was twenty-three years of age at the time of her death. Mr. Duncan's father, John S. Duncan, deserves some mention in connection with this sketch. He was a man of unusual vigor and force of character. Was a native of Ohio; ran a saw mill in Kansas City five years, and from 1865 until the time of his death at Grand Tower, Ill., in 1873, lived at Linwood, Kansas. (MAD: 1860 Jackson Co. MO)
      Pg.776: Harvey Co., Newton. J.R. DUNCAN, M.D., was born in Logan County, Ky., six miles south of Russellville, November 1, 1815. In the spring of 1836 he came to Jackson County, Mo., remaining until the spring of 1840, and coming into Kansas in 1837 (MAD: dates as given), with the Missouri State Volunteers to drive the Osages from the western border of Missouri; while in Missouri he read medicine about one year in Glasgow and then returned to Kentucky to complete his medical education. He studied with Dr. A.S. Walker, of Scottville, Allen Co., Ky., and graduated from the medical department of the Transylvania University at Lexington, Ky. In January, 1845, he commenced practice at Jimtown, Monroe Co., Ky., where he remained until the fall of 1861, when he entered the army as a surgeon in the Ninth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, United States Army. He resigned his commission in February, 1862, and was subsequently with the Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, Fifth Indiana Cavalry, Thirteenth Kentucky Infantry, and Thirty-seventh Kentucky Mounted Infantry. He was mustered out December 29, 1864, and remained at Louisville until June 2, 1865. In August, 1863, he was elected State Senator from the Thirteenth Senatorial District, composed of Allen, Simpson and Monroe counties, having had assurances from the Secretary of War that he should be granted leave of absence to attend the sessions of the Legislature. He went to San Francisco June 2, 1864, and spent the three succeeding years west of the Rocky Mountains, but did not permanently locate anywhere. In April, 1868, he returned to Franklin, Simpson Co., Ky., and engaged in active practice until he came came (MAD: sic) to Newton in May, 1880. He was married in Allen County, Ky., May 8, 1845, to Catharine Dunn, a native of that county. Mrs. Duncan died October 15, 1855, leaving one child - Margaret Elizabeth, now Mrs. D.H. Roark, a resident of Harper County, Kan. He was married September 19, 1871, in Simpson County, Ky., to Elizabeth Harris, his present wife, a native of Simpson County, Ky. Dr. Duncan is Chairman of the Board of Examining Surgeons for Pensioners, Harvey County, Kan., a member of the Baptist Church, and also of the order of A.F. & A.M., Blue Lodge, Chapter Council and Commandery.

Return to the Jackson Co. MO Research File


Return to Index to Duncan Research Files in Missouri

Return to The Genealogy Bug's Home Page