St. Charles Families E-L

St. Charles Families   E-L

Home ] A History of Pioneer Families of Missouri ]


Users of this material should be aware of its limitations. It was not painstakingly researched. It should be used like an interview, i.e., as a clue to further research, rather than as an authoritative source. See Dorris Keeven's comments.

Disclaimer: The opinions on these pages are those of the writers and don't necessarily reflect my own views. More..

Biographical Material
The Black Book
John Jay Johns Journal
Notes on Families:
Orrick Johns
Pen of John Jay Johns
Pioneer Families of MO
St. Charles, MO
Tax Records

Carl Friedrich Gauss Page
Wilhelm Ahrens Speech
Scan of Letter from Gauss
G. Waldo Dunnington Article

Chambless, Sanderson, Simmons



A-B      C-D     E-L     M-P     R-Z     Others


COSHOW.-- William Coshow, a native of Wales, married MARY HUGHES, an Irish girl, and emigrating to America, settled in N.C. He went with DANIEL BOONE on one of his expeditions to KY., and was killed by the Indians at the head of the KY river. He had but one child, a son, named William. His widow married JONATHAN BRYAN, several years after the death of her first husband, and they came to St. Charles Co. in 1800. Her son was raised by his step-father, who loved him as one of his own children. He served in the war against the Indians, and afterward married ELIZABETH ZUMWALT, of St. Charles Co. They had 3 children: Andrew J., Phoebe A., and John B., all of whom are still living.

CAMPBELL.-- Dr. Samuel Campbell and his wife, SALLY ALEXANDER, were natives of Rockbridge Co., VA. They had 10 children, of whom William M., the subject of this sketch, was the 5th. He was born in Jan. 1805, and after having received a fair education at home, was placed under the instruction of REV. WM. GRAHAM, at what was then called the "Log College," but which was subsequently named Washington University, and is now known as Washington and Lee University, at Lexington, VA. Here he qualified himself for the practice of law, and at the age of 24, came to MO. with his brother-in-law, DR. ROBERT MCCLUER, who settled in St. charles Co. Young Campbell remained two years with his brother-in-law, hunting and amusing himself, and then went to St. Charles and commenced the practice of law. He remained in St. Charles until 1843, when he removed to St. Louis, where he died, Jan. 2, 1850. Mr. Campbell wielded a large influence in his adopted state, and served as a member of the legislature during the greater portion of his residence here. He was editor of the St. Charles Clarion, for some time, and also of the St. louis New Era, by which means his influence and reputation were greatly extended.

COTTLE. -- Warren Cottle, of Vermont, was a soldier in the war of 1812.  He had six children -- Warren, Ira, Oliver, Stephen, Marshall, and Letitia.  Warren was a physician, and came with his father to Missouri in 1799.  He married his cousin, Salome Cottle, and they had eight children -- Oliver, Alonzo, Fidelo, Alvora, Lorenzo, Paulina, Ora, and O'Fallon.  Ira also married his cousin, Suby Cottle, and they had six children -- Levi, Harriet, Warner, Ira, Joseph, and Mary J.  Oliver married Charity Lowe, and they raised thirteen children -- Royal, Leroy, Oliver, Mary, Orville, Priscilla, Lethe, Juliet, John, Ira, Julius, Ellen, and Cordelia.  Stephen married, but died without issue.  Marshall died single.  Letitia married and died childless.  Lorenzo Cottle, son of Dr. Warren Cottle, founded the town of Cottleville, in St. Charles county, in 1840. [p. 138]

COALTER.-- The ancestors of the Coalter family of St. Charles were members of the Presbyterian colony that settled in Augusta Co., VA. at an early date. From among them we have obtained the following names: David, John, Polly, Jane, and Ann. John was married 4 times. His 3rd wife was a MISS TUCKER, sister of JUDGE BEVERLY TUCKER, and half-sister of JOHN RANDOLPH, of Roanoke. They had 2 children - St. George and Elizabeth. The latter married JOHN RANDOLPH BRYANT, of Flovanna Co., VA. David married ANN CARMICLE, of S. C. and the names of their children were John D., Beverly T., Maria, Catharine, Fanny, Caroline, and Julia. Polly married JUDGE BEVERLY TUCKER, who became eminent as a jurist. They had no children. Jane married JOHN NAYLOR, of PA. They settled in KY., but removed to MO. in 1818. They had 7 children: James, John, William, Thomas, Caroline, Sophronia and Ann. The boys all died about the time they were grown. Ann married a MR. WARD, of KY. - Children of David Coalter.) John D. married MARY MEANES, of S. C. and settled in St. Charles Co., where he lived until 2 years prior to his death, when he removed to St. Louis. He had but one child. Mr. Coalter was a talented and influential attorney, and also a leading member of the legislature of his state. Beverly T. was a physician. He married ELIZABETH MCQUEEN, of Pike Co., where he resided. They had 3 children, one son and 2 daughters. Dr. Tucker was a gentleman of fine business qualifications. Maria married HON. WILLIAM C. PRESTON, of S. C., and died, leaving 1 daughter, who died when she was about grown. Catharine married JUDGE WILLIAM HARPER, of S. C., who removed to MO., and became judge of the court of Chancery. They had several children, but only one survives. Fannie married DR. DAVID H. MEANES, of S. C. The doctor removed to MO and remained a short time, and then returned to S. C., where his wife died. They had several children. Caroline married HAMILTON R. GAMBLE, of St. Louis. They had 2 sons and 1 daughter. Julia married HON. EDWARD BATES, and is now a widow, living in St. Louis. (Children of JANE NAYLOR nee COALTER.) Caroline Naylor married DR. WILLIAM B. NATT. They removed to Livingston, S. C., where Dr. N. died, leaving a widow and 5 children. Sophronia married JAMES W. BOOTH of Pike Co., MO; who subsequently removed to St. Louis, and became a commission merchant. Their children were: John N., Thomas, Edward B., and George. Ann married a MR. MCPHEETERS, who died, leaving two sons, James and Theophile, who removed to Mississippi, where they married and raised large families.

CASTLIO.-- John Castlio, of Tennessee, married a widow named Lowe, whose maiden name was Harrison.  They settled in St. Charles county in 1806.  The names of their children were -- Ruth, Lottie, Mahala, Sinai, John H., Nancy, and Hiram.  Lottie married William Keithley.  Ruth married Frank McDermid, who was killed at Callaway's defeat.  They had two children, Rhoda and Viletta.  Mahala married Benjamin Howell, and they had eleven children.  Sinai married Absalom Keithley, John H. married the widow of Capt. James Callaway, whose maiden name was Nancy Howell.  Nancy married Felix Scott.  Hiram died when he was about grown.   The names of John H. Castlio's children were -- John C., Fortunatus, Jasper N., Othaniel C., Hiram B., and Zerelda E.

CAMPBELL.-- James Campbell, of Scotland, settled in Essex county, Virginia, and married a Miss Montague. They had only one child, James, Jr.,  when Mr. Campbell died, and his widow married a Mr. Stubbs, of Richmond.  James, Jr., married Lucinda S. Gautkins, of Virginia, and they had ten children -- Mary M., Thacker, Charles G., Nancy H., Catharine L., James E., Elijah F., John, Caroline, and Lucy H.  Mrs. Campbell died, and her husband was married a second time to Catharine Heihm, of Lynchburg.  He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died in 1872, in his eighty-fifth year.  His widow still lives (1875), in her eightieth year, but is sorely afflicted, being both blind and deaf.  [p. 140]

CANNON.--  Joseph Cannon married Nancy Sitton, of North Carolina, and settled first in Tennessee, where he remained until 1811, when he removed to St. Charles county, Missouri. During the Indian war he and his family lived in Kennedy's Fort.  Mr. Cannon was a great hunter and Indian fighter, and had a great many adventures.  He once tracked a bear to a hollow log, and began to kindle a fire to smoke it out; but as he was stooping down to blow the flames, the bear sprang out of the log and threw him on his back, and then ran away. He was so badly scared that he never saw the bear any more. The names of Mr. Cannon's children were Phillip, Sarah, Rachel, Keziah, and Nancy.  Phillip married Elizabeth McCoy, and they had ten children -- George, Julia A., Rachel, William R., Nancy, Ellen, John, David M., Sarah, and Mathaneer.  Sarah married Jerry Beck; of Lincoln county, and is now a widow.  Rachel married Raphael Florthey, and lives in Iowa.  Nancy married John Creech, of Lincoln county.  Keziah died single.    [p.140]

CARTER.-- Thomas Carter, of VA., married JUDITH MCCRAWDY, and their children were Jesse, Thomas, Edward, Lawson, Christopher, and Dale. Thomas married NANCY HUTCHINGS, of VA., and settled in St. Charles Co. in 1836. Christopher married MARY SOIZES, whose father served 7 years in the revolutionary war. They settled in St. charles Co. in 1830. The names of their children were Frances, Rebecca, James, Jane, Christopher, Judy, Thomas M., Mary, George and Rolla. Thomas M. is the present sheriff of Lincoln County. (1875)

COLLINS.-- The father of William Collins was an Englishman. At an early age, William was bound out to learn the carpenter's trade, but becoming dissatisfied, he ran away and got married, which suited him better. He married JANE BLAKEY, of Warren Co., VA., and they had 6 children: George, John, Reuben, Fanny, Elizabeth and William. John married FANNY CURTLEY, and settled in Franklin Co., MO. George married JANE EDDINGS, of Warren Co., VA., and settled in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1825. They had 17 children: Sarah, Elizabeth, Frances, Smith, Eliza, Nancy, Clarissa, James, Elijah, Thomas, William, Tandy, George, Sandy, Jane, Mary and Joseph. Sandy, Joseph and Mary died before they were grown. Elizabeth, Eliza and Clarissa married and remained in VA. Sarah and Nancy married and settled in Warren Co., MO. Smith married EMILY WYATT, and moved to Oregon. Thomas, William and Frances settled in Henry Co., MO. Elijah settled in Arkansas, and George in Warren Co., MO.

COLLINS.-- Nicholas Collins, of England, married MARGARET LONG, of VA., and they had 2 children, John and Lucy. John married ELIZABETH YAGER, of VA., and settled in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1831. His children were Sarah, Lucinda, Mary, Ann, Elizabeth, William K., and John J., all of whom except Sarah and John, settled in St. Charles county.

CARR.-- Elijah Carr was of Irish descent. He settled first in Hagarstown, Maryland, and in 1798 removed to Shelby Co., KY., from whence, in 1829, he removed to St. Charles Co., MO., where he died in 1832. He kept a distillery, and was a keen, shrewd horse-trader. His children were Ruth, James and John. Ruth married WILLIAM BOYD, of MO. James was a zealous member of the old Baptist church, but joined the Missionary baptists when the division took place. He married SUSAN JONES, daughter of SILAS JONES of Shelby Co, KY, and they had 9 children: Sally, Elizabeth, Hellen, Mary R., John, William, Susan L., James and Eliza J. Mrs. Carr died in 1834, and he died in 1836. John Carr married MARY DORSEY, of KY., and they had 9 daughters. They lived at Louisville, KY., where Mr. Carr died in 1865.

COLLIER.-- The father of John and George Collier lived in the state of New Jersey, not far from the city of Philadelphia. He died when they were quite young, and their mother, being an energetic, industrious woman, determined to do the best she could for herself and family. She purchased two milk cows with the little money that her husband had left her, and opened a small dairy. It was not long until she owned and milked one hundred cows, and in a few years, had accumulated a handsome fortune. Desiring to come west, she sold her dairy and other property, and, in 1815, came to St. Charles, with her two sons and $40,000 in cash. The two boys, being no less energetic than their mother, supplied themselves with a small stock of goods, and for several years followed the tiresome and dangerous calling of country peddlers, carrying their goods on their backs. They made money, and in a few years, opened a store in St. Charles. here they rapidly augmented their means, and desiring to extend their business, they established a branch store at Troy, in Lincoln County, and shortly after, another in St. Louis. Mrs. Collier bought a residence in St. Chales, and kept several negro women busy making coarse shirts and various and various other kinds of garments, which her sons sold in their stores. She was a devoted Methodist, and as earnest and zealous in her religion as in everything else. She always entertained the Methodist ministers when they came to St. Charles, and kept a room in her house exclusively for their benefit, no one else being allowed to use it. In 1830 she had erected upon her own grounds, the first Methodist house of worship in St. Charles, which was occupied by her congregation for religious services, free of rent. She also authorized the occupancy of the house as a common school room reserving, by way of rent, the privilege of sending four pupils of her own selection, at the then customary tuition price of $1 per month, each. The school progressed so satisfactorily that Mrs. Collier determined to appropriate $5,000 to the building of a school house for Protestant children in the village; and after giving the subject mature deliberation, she broached it to her son, George. He not only heartily commended her plan, but desired to build the house himself - a larger and better one than $5,000 would procure - and that his mother's donation should constitute an endowment fund for the institution. This was agreed upon, and in 1834, that building, which has since been known as St. Charles College, was erected, at a cost, including the grounds, of $10,000. BERIAH CLELAND, well known to the older citizens of St. Charles, was the builder. The college was opened in 1835, under the presidency of REV. JOHN F. FIELDING; and for many years the President's salary was paid out of Mrs. Collier's private purse. The college prospered beyond expectation under the liberal patronage of its generous benefactor, who gave in all, fully $50,000 to the institution. George Collier did more for the cause of education in his adopted state, than any other man, and has received but little credit for it. The alumni of the college spread through Mississippi, Louisiana, and the western part of this state, and opening schools and other institutions of learning diffused the benefits of science and knowledge throughout an immense extent of country. Many of the leading men and educators of this state studied the science under the roof of his parent institution. Mrs. collier died in 1835, but made provision in her will for the carrying out of her part of the philanthropic enterprise. By some mistake the sum donated by her was lost, but it was promptly replaced by her son, and at his death, in 1852, he left an endowment of $10,000 for the college, on condition that the county court of St. Charles county donate a similar amount for the same purpose. The court complied with the requirements of the will, and the college was promptly endowed with $20,000. George Collier married FRIZE MORRISON, daughter of JAMES MORRISON, of St. Charles. She was a Catholic, and according to the rules of her church, could not be married by a protestant minister; but Mr. Collier, refusing to be married by a priest, the ceremony was performed by JUDGE BENJAMIN EMMONS. Mrs. Morrison wanted her daughter to be re-married by a priest of her church, but Mr. Collier objected, saying that he was married well enough to suit him, and then added, good-humoredly, that if she wanted her daughter back again, she could take her. But the old lady concluded to let the matter drop, and said nothing more about the second ceremony.

COLGIN.-- Daniel Colgin was a tailor by trade, and settled in St. Charles Co. (where the poor house now stands) in 1806. He made a deep cellar under his log cabin, and placed a trap door in the floor, just inside of the door, and every night when he went to bed, this trap door was unfastened, so that if the Indians attacked the house and broke the door open, they would fall into the cellar. He also kept an axe and a sledge hammer near his bed, to use in tapping Indians on the head; but his house was never attacked, and his ingenious contrivances were never brought into use. In 1812 he removed to St. charles, and opened a tailor's shop in that town. Here he dressed deer skins and manufactured them into pants and hunting shirts, from which he derived a comfortable income. In 1814 he was elected Justice of the peace, and made a rather eccentric officer. His dwelling house and shop were one and the same, and there was but one window in the house, which contained only two panes of glass. The old gentleman kept a pet bear chained in his yard, and the boys of the town used to torment the poor beast until it would become furious. One day while they were teasing the bear, it broke the chain, and ran the boys all off the place. After that, they let the bear alone. Colgin's wife was a native of KY., and his daughters were said to be the prettiest girls in St. Charles.

CRAIG.-- Rev. James Craig married a daughter of COL. NATHAN BOONE. He was a hard-shell Baptist preacher, and preached and taught school in St. Charles for several years. He baptised by immersion, in the Missouri river, the first person that ever received protestant baptism in St. Charles. The candidate was a colored woman named SUSAN MORRISON. DANIEL COLGIN assisted Mr. Craig to perform the ceremony by wading out into the river and measuring the depth of the water with his cane, singing as he went - "We are going down the river Jordan, As our Saviour went before." Revs. JOHN M. PECK AND TIMOTHY FLINT were present, and joined in the singing. 

CHRISTY. -- William Christy, Sr., and William Christy, Jr., were cousins, and natives of Pittsburgh, Pa.  In 1800 the elder settled in St. Louis, where he opened a hotel and made a fortune.  The younger was quartermaster for the troops at Bellefontaine during the war of 1812, and after the return of peace, he settled in St. Charles, and went into the mercantile business, which he followed two years.  He then went into politics, and was at different times clerk of the County and Circuit Courts.  He was also receiver and County Treasurer, and Clerk of the Supreme Court.  He married Constance St. Cyr. of St. Charles, and they had nine children -- William M., Ellen, Leville, Martha T., Israel R., Mary A., Eliza, Louisa, and Clarissa.  Mrs. Christy was well educated and did a great deal of writing for her husband.  They also kept boarders while the Legislature sat in St. Charles, and had so much patronage that they were compelled to hire beds from their country friends for the accommodation of their guests.  They paid 25 cents a week for the beds.  Mr. Christy had an apple tree in his yard that bore 40 bushels of apples one summer, and his son, William M., who was a little fellow at the time, sold them on the street, and to the members of the Legislature, at 25 cents per dozen, thus reaping a handsome income from the one apple tree.  William M. Christy is still living in St. Charles.  He served as sheriff and deputy sheriff of the county for sixteen years, and organized the first express company in St. Charles.  He acted as express agent for ten years. [p. 144]

CHARLESWORTH.-- Walter Charlesworth, of England, being captivated by the glowing tales of life in the new world, ran away from his parents at the age of 18 years, and came to America. He remained awhile at Wheeling, VA., and then went to St. Charlesville in Ohio, where he engaged in shipping pork to New Orleans and the west India islands. He married MARY A. YOUNG, and in 1827 he came to St. Charles, MO. They had 2 children: Walter J. and Eliza. The latter died, but the former is still living in St. Charles. Mrs. Charlesworth died sometime after the removal to St. Charles, and her husband subsequently married MARY ST. LOUIS, of Canada, who died, leaving no children. Charles Charlesworth, a brother of Walter, came from England with his wife in 1840, and settled in St. Charles. Here his wife went blind, and subsequently, when he started on his return to England, she died at New Orleans. They had 6 children: George, Martha, Ann, Charles, Mary and Hannah. 

CONOIER.-- Peter Conoier was a Frenchman, and settled on Marais Croche Lake at an early date. He was very fond of hunting wild hogs, which he lassoed, being so expert in that art that he could throw the lariat over any foot of the hog that he chose, while it was running at full speed. He was married three times, and had several children. One of his sons, named Joseph, while going to school, was chastised by the teacher, for some misdemeanor, and the old gentleman was greatly incensed thereat. He determined to whip the teacher in turn and went to the school house next morning for that purpose. Arriving at the school house, he drew his knife out and began to whet it on his foot, whereupon the teacher drew his knife, and invited him to "come on", if that were his game. But concluding that discretion was the better part of valor, he put up his knife, bade the teacher a polite good morning, and went home.

DARST.-- David Darst was born in Shenandoah Co., VA., Dec. 17, 1757, and died in St. Charles Co., MO. Dec. 2, 1826. He married ROSETTA HOLMAN, who was born in Maryland, Jan. 13, 1763, and died in Callaway Co., MO., Nov. 13, 1848. She was buried in a shroud of homespun wool, which she made with her own hands when she was about middle aged. Mr. Darst removed from VA. to Woodford Co., KY. in 1784, and in 1798 he left KY with his wife and 7 children, and settled in (now) St. Charles Co., MO., on what has since been known as Darst's Bottom. Some of the leading men of KY gave him a very complimentary letter to the Spanish authorities in St. Louis, which enabled him to obtain several grants of land for himself and his children. The names of his children were Mary, Elizabeth, Absalom, Isaac, Sarah, Jacob, Samuel, Nancy and David H. Mary married THOMAS SMITH of Callaway Co., and died; he then married her sister, ELIZABETH SMITH. Isaac married PHOEBE BRYAN, daughter of JONATHAN BRYAN. Sarah and Samuel died before they were grown. Jacob lived in Texas, and was killed at the side of COL. DAVEY CROCKETT at the battle of the Alamo. Nancy married COL. PATRICK EWING, of Callaway Co. David H. married MARY THOMPSON, and lived and died in Darst's Bottom. They had 13 children: Violet, Rosetta H., Margaret R., Elizabeth I., Nancy E., Harriet, Mary T., David A., Lorena, Henry, Martha, William and Julia. Mr. Darst was a very systematic man, and for many years, kept a book in which he recorded every birth and death and all important incidents that occurred in the community. This book would have been very interesting, but it was destroyed by fire several years ago.

DAY.-- Robert Day, of England, emigrated to America and settled in Maryland, where he had 2 sons born: Frank and Robert. The latter died while a boy. Frank moved to Wythe Co., VA., where he married MARY FORBISH. They had 12 children: Nancy, Polly, Aves, Peggy, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Jane, Frank, Jr., Nathaniel, George, Nilen and James. Nancy was killed by a horse. Polly married in KY., and settled in St. Louis in 1815. Aves died single. Peggy married SOLOMON WHITTLES, of St. Charles Co., MO. Jane married JOHN PROCTOR, and settled in Warren Co., MO. Frank, Nathaniel and George all died bachelors, in MO. Nilen married SUSAN WILSON. James married EMILY ROCHESTER, of VA., and settled in St. Charles Co., MO., from whence he removed to Lincoln Co., where he still resides. When quite a boy, he and a young friend of his spent a night at AMOS BURDINE's, and slept on a bed that had a buckskin tick. During the night they felt something very hard and uncomfortable in the bed under them, and determined to find out what it was. They had no knives to cut the tick with, so they gnawed a hole in it with their teeth, and drew out a buck's head with the horns attached, after which they did not wonder that they had slept uncomfortably. During the operation of drawing the horns out of the bed, the boys broke out several of their front teeth. Mr. Robert Day settled in Dog Prairie, St. Charles Co., in 1819, and spent the rest of his life there.

DAVIDSON.-- Andrew Davidson, of KY., came to MO. in 1811, but returned in 1813, and married SARAH JOHNSON. In 1830 he came back to MO. and settled in St. Charles Co. His children were Susan, Greenberry, William, Angeline, Eliza J., Salome, and John. The old gentleman was a great friend of the Indians, and in order to manifest his good feelings, he kept a lot of tobacco with which he would fill their pouches when they stopped at his house. One of his sons, a mischievous lad, poured a pound of gunpowder into the tobacco, and several of the Indians got their faces and noses burnt in attempting to smoke it. This, of course, was taken as a mortal offense, and it was with the greatest difficulty that Mr. Davidson kept the Indians from killing himself and his family.

DRUMMOND.-- James Drummond, of England, settled in Fauquier Co., Va., prior to the American Revolution and served in the patriot army during the war. He had 2 sons, James, Jr., and Milton, who came to MO. James married MARTHA LUCAS of VA., and settled in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1834. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. He had 7 children: Elias, Harrison, Mary, James, Catharine, William and Elizabeth. Mary married WILLIAM E. JACKSON, and settled in St. Charles Co. in 1835. Catharine married GEORGE M. RYAN, of VA., and is now living in St. Charles Co. William and Elizabeth died in VA. Elias lives in St. Louis. Harrison married ELIZABETH WILKINSON, and settled in St. Charles county in 1834. James settled in Mississippi.

DYER.-- John Dyer, of Greenbriar Co., VA., married a MISS ROLEY, and they had 6 children: George, James, John, Polly, Pauline and Marktina. George married MARGARET HAYDEN, of KY., and settled in Pike Co., MO. in 1838; in 1840 he removed to St. Charles county. His children were Rosana, Elvira, Mary J., William C., Eliza, Martin V., Lucy and Elizabeth. Rosana married PLEASANT COLBERT, of Lincoln Co. Elvira married DR. SIDNEY R. ENSAW, an Englishman, who settled in St. Charles Co. in 1836. Eliza married JAMES MCNANONE, of St. Louis Co., who died, and she afterward married JOHN J. STHALLSMITH, of St. Charles Co. Elizabeth married FREDERICK GRABENHORST, of St. Charles Co. Martin V. is a Catholic priest, and lives in New York.

DENNEY.-- Charles Denney, of Germany, settled within the limits of the state of MO. while the country belonged to Spain. He married RACHEL CLARK, and they had 8 children: Christine, Magdalene, Mary, Adeline, Ann, Charles, John and Raphael. Mr. Denney was an herb doctor, and treated the simpler classes of diseases. He was also something of a dentist, and pulled teeth for people when they came to him for that purpose. He lived on Dardenne creek, where he built a water mill, which supplied the people of the vicinity with meal and flour for many years. He finally grew tired of milling, and erected a distillery, but this did not pay so well, and he went back to his former occupation. In the meantime, is wife had lost her sight, but could still recognize her old acquaintances by their voice. She could give the history of every person in the county, and it was quite interesting to hear her converse about early times in MO. Denney finally sold his mill, and removed to the Fever River lead mines, where he was unfortunate, and lost all his property. He then returned to Dardenne, and with the assistance of his old neighbors, re-purchased his mill.

DAVIS.-- Lewis Davis, of Albemarle Co., VA., had 7 children: Edward, Matthew, Rachel, William, Rhoda, Martha and Virginia. Edward married MISS WALTON, of VA., and settled in St. charles Co., MO. in 1829. The names of his children were: Mary A., Joel A., and Lucy M. Mary A. married IRA SHANNON, of New York. Joel A. married FRANCES A GUTHRIE, of VA. Lucy M. married PETER RANDOLPH, of Va. Edward Davis was a blacksmith and had a shop on McCoy's creek. Like most of the early settlers, he was fond of a good article of whisky, and when his supply ran out he would take a sack of corn on his horse, go to the distillery, and have it made into whisky, without the fear of revenue officers before his eyes, for they had no such encumbrances then.



A-B      C-D     E-L     M-P     R-Z     Others



  Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.




Site Map
powered by FreeFind


Search my sites
     powered by FreeFind


What's New
powered by FreeFind   
Search WWW

Search this site for:

Comments, errata or suggestions? Email me

Last modified:Sunday, 09-Nov-2003 16:34:51 MST