St. Charles Families C-D

St. Charles Families  C-D

Home ] A History of Pioneer Families of Missouri ]


Users of this material should be aware of its limitations. It was not painstakingly researched. It should be used like an interview, i.e., as a clue to further research, rather than as an authoritative source. See Dorris Keeven's comments.

Disclaimer: The opinions on these pages are those of the writers and don't necessarily reflect my own views. More..

Biographical Material
The Black Book
John Jay Johns Journal
Notes on Families:
Orrick Johns
Pen of John Jay Johns
Pioneer Families of MO
St. Charles, MO
Tax Records

Carl Friedrich Gauss Page
Wilhelm Ahrens Speech
Scan of Letter from Gauss
G. Waldo Dunnington Article

Chambless, Sanderson, Simmons



A-B     C-D     E-L     M-P     R-Z     Others



ALLEN. -- William Allen, of Henry county, Virginia, was married twice.  The name of his second wife was Ann Smith, by whom he had Susan, Robert, Joseph, Pines and Frances.  Susan married William Wells, who was Probate Judge of Henry county, Virginia.  Robert was a talented man, and a fine orator, and represented his native county in the State Legislature for many years.  He married Celia Mullens, and their son, William L., was State Senator in Mississippi for a number of years.  Joseph S., the second son of Robert Allen, was a distinguished Methodist minister.  He settled in St. Charles county in 1828.  He was married twice, and by his first wife he had one son, named William.  The name of his second wife was Rachel May, and they had William M., Robert L., Elizabeth M., John P., Joseph J., Susan A., and Rachel.  William M. married Mary M. Shelton, and they had six children.  Mr. Allen represented his county in the House of representatives four years, and four years in the State Senate.  He was a prominent and influential citizen, and now resides in Wentzville, Missouri.  Robert L. was married first to Anna Pendleton, by whom he had five children.  After her death he married Louisa B. Harnett, and they had three children.  Mr. Allen was County Judge of Warren county for some time, and represented that county in the Legislature two years.  Elizabeth M. was married first to Henry Simpson, and after his death she married J. D. May.  She had three children.  John P., who was a physician, married his cousin, Martha L. Allen, and they had one child.  Joseph I. came to Missouri in 1850, and died soon after.  Susan A. died unmarried -- Pines, son of William Allen, was married first to Charlotte Bailey, of Tennessee, and settled in St. Charles county in 1829.  Their children were -- Robert B., Mary J., Joseph J., John B., Charles C., and Martha L.  Mr Allen was married the second time to Nancy Hughes, of Virginia, and they had Lucy A., Susan M., Pines H., William M., Smith B., and Columbus S.  Robert B. married Louisa Chambers, and they had ten children.  He was a prominent Methodist, and an influential citizen.  Mary J. married Marshall Bird, who settled in Missouri in 1833.  They had seven children.  Joseph H., married Sarah McClenny, and they had three children.  John B. was married first to Elizabeth Lacy, by whom he had four children.  He was married the second time to Lucy Harnett, and they had five children.  Mr. Allen is an attorney, and lives near Flint Hill.  He was a soldier in the Black Hawk war.  Charles C. married Fanny Pendleton, and they had but two children.  Martha L. was married first to John Taylor, and they had one child.  She was married the second time to Thomas H. Lacy.  They had no children. [p. 126]

ABINGTON.-- John Abington, of Scotland, came to America and settled in Montgomery Co., Maryland, sometime before the revolution. His wife was MARY WATSON. she died, leaving him a widower, after which he moved to Henry Co., VA. the names of his children were Bowles, Lucy, John, Elizabeth and Henry. Bowles, at the age of 18 years, joined the American army and served during the Rev. war. He married SARAH TAYLOR, daughter of WILLIAM TAYLOR and SARAH SCRUGGS, of VA., and they had 7 children: William N., John T., Susannah, Taylor, Bowles, Henry and Lucy. William N. was a Methodist preacher, and died in N.C. John T. married REBECCA TAYLOR, and settled in TN. Susannah married THOMAS TRAVIS, and settled in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1830. Taylor married AMANDA PENN. Bowles married MARY BALDRIDGE, and died 10 days after. Hon. Henry Abington, the only one of the family now living, married MARIA SMITH, and settled in the western part of St. Charles Co., where he now resides. He is an influential, public-spirited citizen; has served 3 terms in the legislature of his state, and has held the position of Justice of the peace for many years.

AYERS. -- Ebenezer Ayers came from one of the Eastern States, and settled on what is known as "the point," in St. Charles county, at a very early date.  He built the first horse-mill in that region of country.  He was also a large fruit-grower; and made a great deal of butter and cheese.  He lived in a large red house, in which the first Protestant sermon in "the point" was preached.  In 1804 he and James Flaugherty and John Woods were appointed Justices of the Peace for St. Charles district, being the first under the American government.  Mr. Ayers had four children, one son and three daughters.  Two of the latter died before they were grown.  The son, Ebenezer Davenport Ayers, married Louisiana Overall, and settled where Davenport, Iowa, now stands, the town being named for him.  His surviving sister, Hester Ayers, married Anthony C. Palmer, who was a ranger in the company commanded by Captain James Callaway.  Mr. Palmer was afterward elected sheriff of the county, and served one term.  He had a good education, was an excellent scribe, and taught school a number of years. [p. 127]

AUDRAIN.-- Peter Audrain was a native of France, but came to America at an early date, and settled in Penn., where he married MARGARET MOORE. He subsequently moved to Detroit, MI. where he became an influential citizen, and was marshal of the territory at the time of his death. He had 7 children, 3 of whom, James H., Peter G., and Margaret, settled in MO. James H. was born in PA., Dec. 29, 1782, and was married to MARY E. WELLS, of Louisville, KY., on Dec. 23, 1806. He settled at Fort Wayne, Ind., and engaged in merchandising. During the war of 1812, he was commissioned Captain of volunteers, and saw some hard service. He was afterward appointed Colonel of militia. In 1816, he moved his family to MO., in a flat-boat, and after remaining a short time at St. Louis, he settled on Peruque creek, in St. Charles Co., where he soon after built a mill and a distillery. The mill was run by a tread wheel, on which he worked young bulls, and he often had as many as 20 of these animals at one time. This led a loquacious citizen of the community to give it the name of "Bulls Hell Mill", by which it became generally known. In 1830, Col. Audrain was elected a member of the legislature, and died Nov. 10, 1831, at the house of GOV. CLARK, in St. Louis. His remains were conveyed to his home in a hearse, which was the first hearse ever seen in St. Charles Co. When Audrain Co. was organized in 1836, it was named in honor of Colonel Audrain. Mrs. Audrain died about 3 years after the death of her husband. Their children were Samuel W., Peter G., James H., Margaret, Benjamin O., Ann A., Francis B., Thomas B., and Mary F. The latter was born on the flat-boat in 1816, while they were ascending the Mississippi river. Col. Audrain, and his wife were baptized in Peruque creek, below his mill. The colonel was a very stout man, and won a wager of $10 in St. Charles one day, by carrying eight bushels f wheat, at one time, up three flights of stairs. 

BIGELOW.-- Moses Bigelow, the son of Zachariah Bigelow, of Pittsburg, Pa., came to St. Charles Co., Mo. in 1821. He married PARTHENA BRYAN, eldest daughter of JONATHAN BRYAN, who was a widow at the time, having previously married her cousin, JOSEPH BRYAN. Mr. Bigelow had $1,000 in cash when he came to MO, and by keeping that sum constantly at interest it made him a comfortable fortune before his death, which occurred in 1857. Several years before his death, his wife, while on a visit to a married daughter, was thrown from her horse while returning from church, and one of her limbs was so badly fractured that it had to be amputated. She however, outlived her husband, and died in 1873, of cancer. They had 6 children, James, Rufus, Rutia, Abner, Agnes and Phoebe. James was married 3 times, first to MARY E. HOPKINS, 2nd to her sister, AMANDA HOPKINS, and 3rd to ANGELINE CALLAWAY. Rufus married HENRIETTA EVERMAN. Rutia married CHARLES E. FERNEY. Abner married HULDA LOGAN. Agnes died single. Phoebe married FORTUNATUS CASTLIO.

BIGGS.-- Randall Biggs settled in St. Charles Co. in 1799. He married SUSAN PERKETT. They were both of German descent. Their children were William, Malinda, Lucretia, Elvira, Mary and Silas P.

BOWLES.-- John Bowles and his wife emigrated from England and settled in St. Mary's Co., MD. They had 7 children: William, John Baptist, Joseph, Jane, Susan, Henrietta and Mary. In 1789 John Baptist, Joseph, James and Mary moved to KY and settled in Scott Co. Joseph married ALICE RALEY, and lived and died in Washington Co., KY. Jane married IGNATIUS GREENWELL, and their son, Robert, married MARIA TWYMAN, and settled in St. Charles Co., MO. Mary married WILLIAM ROBERTS, and their daughter, Elizabeth, married JOHN BURKMAN, who settled in Montgomery Co., MO. John Baptist married HENRIETTA WHEATLEY, and they had 8 children: Walter, James, Leo, Clara, Elizabeth, Catharine, Matilda and Celicia. Walter married ROSA MCATEE, and settled in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1828. He was a soldier in the war o 1812, and is still living (1875), in his 87th year. James married SUSAN LUCKETT, and settled in St. Charles Co. in 1835. They had 6 children. Leo married TERESA MCATEE, and settled in St. Charles Co. in 1831. They had 7 children. Clara married DENNIS ONAN, and they lived in KY. Catharine married STEPHEN T. MCATEE, who settled in St. Charles Co. in 1834. They had 8 children. Mr. McAtee and his youngest son, George, died the same day, and were buried in the same grave. Matilda married WALTER BARNES, and they lived in KY. Celicia married JAMES W. DRURY, who settled in St. Charles Co. in 1835. They had 13 children.

BOYD.-- A Man named Boyd came from the northern part of Ireland, and settled in VA. at a very early date. In 1772 he was killed by the Indians, and left a widow and 3 children: William, Margaret and John. william was appointed Indian agent for the state of Mississippi, where he lived and died. Margaret married a man named GARVIN, and they settled in PA., where they raised a large family of children. Three of their sons, Alexander, John and Benjamin, settled in St. Charles Co. in 1822. Alexander married ANNA MATTISON, and their children were Margaret, Anna, Permelia, Jane, Alexander, and Fannie. John Boyd was quite young when his father was killed, and he was raised by a MR. GORDON of VA. During the Rev. war, he served as a ranger and scout in the American army. He was married in 1800 to ELIZABETH DAVIS, of VA., and they had 9 children: Gordon D., Cary A., William A., Margaret E., James H., Mary S., John N., Amasa P., and Maria. Gordon D. was a physician, and moved to Mississippi. He died of cholera in New Orleans, in 1832, while on his way to TX. Cary A. married ELIZABETH BAILEY, and settled in Pike Co., MO. William A. settled in St. Charles Co. in 1837. He married ELIZABETH POAGUE, of KY., and she died, leaving 8 children. Her father was a justice of the peace in St. Charles Co. for 10 years. Margaret E. married MAJOR JAMES G. BAILEY, a soldier of the war of 1812, and they settled in St. Charles Co. in 1830. She died, leaving 4 children. James H. lived in Jackson, Miss., where he engaged in the mercantile business, and was elected mayor of the town. Mary S. married EDMOND P. MATHEWS, of KY., and they settled in St. charles Co., MO. in 1836. She had 5 children, and is still living in Pike Co., MO. John N. settled in St. Charles Co. in 1839. He married MAHALEY HUGHES, and they both died, leaving 2 children. Amasa P. died in Mississippi. Maria died while a child.

BATES.--  Thomas F. Bates was an early settler of Goochland Co., VA. He was a Quaker, but when the war of the rev. commenced, he buried his religion in patriotism and became a soldier. He married CAROLINE M. WOODSON, and they had 12 children: Charles, Matilda, Tarleton, Fleming, Nancy, Richard, James W., Sarah, Margaret, Susan, Frederick, and Edward. Charles lived and died in VA. where he became eminent in the profession of law. Matilda married CAPTAIN GETT, and died, leaving a daughter (Caroline M.), who was adopted by her uncle, EDWARD BATES, and died in St. Louis. Tarleton was killed in a duel at Pittsburg, PA. Fleming lived in Northumberland Co., VA., of which he was county clerk. He left several children at his death. Nancy married THOMAS H. WALTON, who was killed by lightning. He left one son, Robert A., who came to MO. and married a daughter of HON. FREDERICK BATES. Richard studied law, but died young. He was an intimate friend of GEN. WINFIELD SCOTT, and had the promise of becoming a distinguished man. James W. lived and died in Arkansas. He was a delegate to Congress from that territory before its admission as a state. Sarah never married, but came with her mother, to MO. in 1818. Mrs. Bates died in 1845, aged 90 years. Margaret was married twice: first to JOHN SPEERS, and 2nd to DR. ORTON WHARTON, both of VA. She was left a widow the second time, and came to St. Charles Co., MO. in 1838. Susan died while a young lady, in VA. Frederick Bates was well educated and became a distinguished man. President Jefferson appointed him Secretary of the territory of Michigan, and about the commencement of the AARON BURR conspiracy, he was transferred to upper Louisiana, as Secretary of that Territory. He afterward became Governor of the territory of MO., and was the 2nd Governor of the state after its admission. He married NANCY BALL, a daughter of COLONEL JOHN S. BALL, who was a soldier of the war of 1812. Mr. Bates died in 1825, leaving four children: Emily C., Lucas Lee, Woodville, and Frederick, Jr. During the latter part of his life he resided in Lincoln Co. His daughter, Emily C., married ROBERT WALTON, and is now living in St. Charles, a widow. Lucas Lee married a daughter of SAMUEL CONWAY, and lives in St. Louis Co. Woodville died in his youth. Frederick, Jr., married LAVINIA MEREDITH, and died, leaving 1 child. His widow married SAMUEL CONWAY, who also died, and she then married a MR. KERNEY. Hon. Frederick Bates was Governor of the territory of upper Louisiana from May, 1807, to October, 1807; from Sept. 1809, to Sept. 1810; from Nov. 29, 1812, to Dec. 7, 1812; and he was Governor of the territory of MO from Dec. 12, 1812 to July, 1813. He was elected second Governor of the state of MO. in 1824, and died in 1825, before the expiration of his term. EDWARD BATES, brother of Frederick Bates, served as a private soldier in the war of 1812, having enlisted before he wa of age; but he was promoted to sergeant before the expiration of his term. He settled in St. Charles Co. in 1814m and on the 29th of May 1823, he wa married to JULIA D. COALTER daughter of HON. DAVID COALTER. They had 17 children. Mr. Bates was a man of a superior order of talents and held many positions of trust and influence during his life. He studied law under HON. RUFUS EASTON, and became eminent in his profession. He was distinguished for a faithful and conscientious discharge of every duty entrusted to him, whether great or small, and he possessed the confidence of all classes of his fellow citizens in the very highest degree. He represented St. Louis as a delegate in the first constitutional convention of MO.; served in the legislature and state senate for a number of years, and was a member of congress in 1826. At the commencement of PRESIDENT LINCOLN's administration, he was honored with a seat in the cabinet as attorney general. He died in 1870, in his 76th year. His widow is still living, in her 78th year.

BAUGH.-- The Baughs were doubtless of German descent; but there is no authentic record of the origin of the family, beyond the act that 3 brothers of that name settled near Jamestown, VA., at an early date. Abram, a son of one of these brothers, married JUDITH COLMAN, of Powhatan Co., and by her he had Joseph, Thomas M., Edsa, William, Alexander, Abram, Jesse, Mary, Judith and Rhoda. Joseph married NANCY GENTRY, and settled in Madison Co., KY. in 1781; and in 1816 he removed to St. Charles Co., MO. He served five years in the rev. war. His children were William, Benjamin, Judith, Alsey, Nancy, Mary, Patsey and Lucinda. William married SUSAN CARTER, of KY., and settled in St. Charles Co., MO. but removed from there to Montgomery Co. in 1832. His first wife died and he was married the second time to MRS. NANCY V. HASLIP, whose maiden name was CHAMBERS.

BRYAN.-- William Bryan, a native of Wales, came to America with Lord Baltimore, about the year 1650, and settled in Maryland. His wife was of Irish descent, and they had 3 children: William, Morgan and Daniel. Of the succeeding two or three generations of this family, nothing is definitely known, but early in the 18th century, WILLIAM BRYAN, a descendant of the original stock, settled in Roan Co., N.C. He married SALLY BRINGER, who was of German descent, and they had 11 children: William, Morgan, John, Sally, Daniel, Henry, Rebecca (who became the wife of DANIEL BOONE), Susan, George, James and Joseph. During the Rev. war, 6 of the sons served in the American army, and one (probably Joseph) cast his lot with the Tories. He was promoted to the position of Colonel, and served with Tarleton during his campaign in the Carolinas. On one occasion, his regiment of Tories, being in the advance, was attacked by the patriots and forced to retreat. As they were falling back in great confusion, they met Tarleton, who had heard the firing and accompanied by only a few of his staff officers, was riding leisurely toward the scene of conflict, blowing his bugle as he came. The patriots, hearing the sound of the bugle, and supposing that the entire British army was advancing upon them, gave up the pursuit and retired. When Bryan met Tarleton, he demanded, in an angry tone, why he had come alone, instead of marching his army to hi assistance. Tarleton replied that he wanted to "see how the d----d Tories would fight." This so enraged the Tory leader that he came near resigning his commission and retiring from the service, and would probably have done so if he could have returned home in safety. Two of the brothers who were in the American army (James and Morgan) were at the bloody battle of King's Mountain, and from the best information that we can obtain, their Tory brother fought against them in the same battle. The war feeling ran so high that they would have shot him if he had come within range of their rifles. Three of the brothers, (James, William, and Daniel) followed Daniel Boone to KY., and built Bryan's station, near Lexington. Shortly after their arrival, William and two other men left the fort and went some distance into the woods, for the purpose of obtaining a supply of game for the garrison. During their absence, they were attacked by the Indians; Bryan's companions were both killed and scalped, and he was shot through the knee with a rifle ball. But notwithstanding his severe and painful wound, he rode to the fort, a distance of 30 miles, through the thick woods and brush, and gave the alarm in time to save the place from falling into the hands of the Indians. They soon began to suffer greatly for provisions, being so closely watched by the Indians, that hunting parties did not dare to venture out, and they were reduced to the necessity of boiling and eating buffalo hides in order to avert starvation. James Bryan was a widower with six children at the time of the removal to KY., and it was his branch of the family that afterward came to MO., the descendants of the other two brothers remaining in KY. The names of his children were David, Susan, Jonathan, Polly, Henry and Rebecca. David married MARY POOR, and came to MO. in 1800. He settled near the present town of Marthasville, in Warren Co. His children were James, Morgan, Elizabeth, Mary, Willis, John, Susan, Drizella, Samuel and William K. Mr. Bryan reserved half an acre of ground near his house for a grave yard, and it was there that Daniel Boone and his wife were buried. He also had a large orchard, which he grew from apple seed that he carried from KY. in his vest pocket. Susan Bryan married ISRAEL GRANT, of KY. They had 3 children: James, William and Israel B. Jonathan married MARY COSBOW, a widow with 1 son, William. (her maiden name was MARY HUGHES) In 1800 he moved his family to MO. in a keel-boat, and landed at the mouth of Femme Osage creek, on Christmas day of that year. He settled first in Lincoln co., near the present town of Cap-au-gris, but there they were greatly exposed to attacks from the Indians, and the location proving to be a sickly one, he moved and settled on Femme Osage creek, near NATHAN BOONE's place, where he lived during the remainder of his life. In 1801 he built the first water mill west of the mississippi river. The stones were carried from KY on horseback, a spring branch supplied the water power, and an old musket barrel formed the aluice or water race. The children of Jonathan Bryan were Parthena, Phoebe, Nancy, Elijah, Abner, Mary, Alsey, James, Delila and Lavinia. Henry Bryan married ELIZABETH SPARKS, and settled in St. Charles Co. in 1808. They had 8 children: Susan, Joseph, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Cynthia, Johannah, John W., and Polly. Rebecca (daughter of James Bryan) married HUGH LOGAN, of KY. and they had 5 children: William, Alexander, Hugh, Henry and Mary. Mr. Logan died, and she was married the 2nd time to JAMES SMITH, of KY. They had 2 children when he also died; and in 1810, Jonathan and Henry Bryan moved their sister and her family to MO. She settled on South Bear creek, in Montgomery Co., and died 20 years later. Her two children by Smith were named Susan and James. Susan married a man named KING, and James married SUSAN ELLIS. 

BALDRIDGE.-- Robert Baldridge was a native of Ireland, but emigrated to America and settled in KY., where he married HANNAH FRUIT. He subsequently moved to MO., and was one of the first settlers of St. Charles Co. He obtained the Spanish grant of land on which Pond Fort was built. His children were Daniel, James, Malachi, John, Robert, Jr., Alexander, Elizabeth, Mary, Grace and Nancy. Malachi and two companions, Price and Lewis, were killed by the Indians while hunting on Loutre Prairie. Shortly after, Daniel, in order to have revenge for his brother's death, tracked a party of Indians to their camp at night, and shot their chief as h sat by the campfire. He then concealed himself in the tall grass, and watched the Indians searching for hi; but they failed to find him. James and John were successful business men, and always had money to loan. A man named HUTCHINGS once borrowed $300 in silver quarters from John, and carried the money home in a calico bag. Finding that he would not need it, he returned the money at the end of three months, and offered to pay interest. But Baldridge said he could not think of accepting interest from a man who had kept him money safe for him that length of time; "Because," said he, "If I had kept it, some rascal would have stolen it". When James died he had several boxes filled with gold and silver money. Robert, Jr., planted a cherry tree, and when it grew large enough, he had it manufactured into lumber, from which he had his coffin made, and when he died he was buried in it. Robert and John were rangers in CALLAWAY's company during the Indian war. After the close of the war, John moved to the Gasconade country, and built a large saw mill in the pineries; but it did not prove to be a paying investment, and subsequently passed into the hands of other parties. Elizabeth Baldridge married JOHN SCOTT, and their son, Hiram, was killed at Callaway's defeat. He was a man of great daring, and Callaway placed much confidence in him. Daniel married KATE HUFFMAN. James married MARGARET ZUMWALT. Robert, Jr., married PEGGY RYEBOLT. Grace married JOHN HOWELL, and Nancy married FREDERICK PRICE.

BURDINE - General Amos Burdine, as he was called, was a native of KY., where he married JENNIE DAVIDSON, and came to MO. in 1811. He settled in Dog prairie, St. Charles Co., and built his cabin on the JAMES MACKEY claim. Soon after he came to MO. the earthquakes at New Madrid occurred, and the shaking of the earth caused the boards that composed the roof of his cabin to rattle so, that he imagined there were Indians up there trying to get in. so, arousing his sons (for it was at night), they secured their guns and began to fire through the roof, which they so completely riddled with bullets that it would not turn the rain anymore. He was a believer in witches as were many of the early settlers, and used to brand his cattle in the forehead with a hot shoe hammer, to keep the witches from killing them. He had a flock of geese, and several of the birds died of some disease peculiar to the goose family. The General imagined that the witches had been at work; so he built a large log fire and commenced burning the dead birds, one by one. When the 3rd bird was thrown on the fire, it gave signs of life, and the general always declared that all the others came to life and flew around the fire and drove the witches away. On another occasion, he imagined that he had been shot in the hip with a hair ball, and called on a physician to have it extracted. But of course, no such ball could be found. Burdine was a great hunter, and killed more deer than any other half-dozen men in the vicinity. He used the skins of the animals that he killed for beds and bed clothing, which was a common thing among the people of that day. He had a habit of naming the trees in the woods where he killed deer, and his sons knew the woods so well, and the names of the different trees, that when he went them to bring the game in, they never had any trouble in finding it. His little pony, Ned, was so well trained that he knew when to run, walk, or stand still by the simple motion of the bridle, and, being as fond of hunting as his master, he never failed to obey commands. The general could mimic the cry of any animal or bird, and often imitated wolves or panthers for the purpose of scaring deer out of the brush, so he could shoot them. a party of hunters heard him one day, screaming like a panther, and imagining they were in close proximity to one of those ferocious animals, they put spurs to their horses and rode away for their lives. He gave names to nearly all of the streams in his vicinity, and Chain-of- rocks, on Cuivre, owes it appropriate title to him. Burdine was a man of medium size, but his wife was very large and heavy. One day he undertook to weigh her with a pair of old-fashioned steelyards. They were fastened to the rafters of the porch in front of his house, with a grape vine, and he tied another grape vine to the hook on the under side of the steelyard for his wife to sit in. Mounting on a barrel, so as to be high enough to handle the beam, he signaled to his wife that he was ready, and she took her seat. But immediately the beam ascended to the roof, carrying the general with it; and he hung suspended in the air until some members of the family came to his assistance and helped him down. Hon. WILLIAM M. CAMPBELL, of St. Charles, began to write a history of the general's life, but died before the book was completed. It would no doubt have afforded a rich mine of humor and adventures. The general's wife died of cholera in 1832. some years afterward, suit was commenced against him for the land on which he lived, the title being vested in another party. He lost the suit and his home and becoming dissatisfied with the new order of things in MO., he moved his large family to Arkansas, where they were not crowded with neighbors.

BOYD - John Boyd, of Ireland, came to America before the revolution. He had 2 sons, John and William. The latter was a gunsmith, and in the war of 1812 he was commissioned Captain of volunteers. In his company were 6 of his apprentices, all of whom were killed in the same battle. Capt. Boyd married RUTH CARR, of PA., and settled in Spencer Co., KY. in 1792. In 1829 he came to MO., and selecting a location in St. Charles Co., for his future residence, he returned to KY., but died before he had completed his arrangements for moving. His widow and children came to St. charles Co. in 1830. The names of his children were Elizabeth, John, Elijah, Hiram, Jane, James, Emeline, William, Ruth, Alexander T., and Thomas C. John married a MISS CLEMENS, Elijah married FANNIE THOMAS. Jane was married in KY. to JOSEPH BROWN. Emeline married JAMES COCHRAN, Aleck T. married MEDORA MCROBERTS. Thomas C. married RUTH ALLEN. Ruth married WADE MUNDAY. William went to California, and died there. James never married and died in St. charles Co. Hiram married REBECCA DATSON, of Lincoln Co. Elizabeth married ALEX. W. THOMAS, and settled in KY.

BALL.-- James Ball and his wife, NANCY SMITH, were natives of Fauquier Co., VA. The names of their children were Margaret, Judith, Sheltile, Taliaferro, Lucy, Elizabeth, James, John, and Casay. John, Sheltile, James and Nancy all settled in MO. John married ELIZABETH ELLIS, of VA., and settled in St. charles Co. in 1834. He is dead, but his wife survives. Nancy married WILLIAM ELLIS, and settled in St. charles Co. in 1835. James married PEGGY SMITH, and settled in St. Louis Co. in 1835. Sheltile married POLLY ELLIOTT, of VA., and settled in St. Louis Co., MO. in 1834. He died some time afterward, and his widow and children moved to St. Charles Co. The names of the children were John, Bernadotte, Benjamin, Sheltile, Jr., and Bushrod. The rest of the Boyd children, with the exception of James, who died of yellow fever in New Orleans, lived and died in Va.

BRAUN.-- Cipler Braun and his wife, MAGDALENE KEELER, were of Baden, Germany. They emigrated to America and settled in St. Charles Co. in 1832. Their children were Martin, Antoine, Clarissa, Agnes and Godfrey. All of these, with the exception of Martin, married and settled in St. Charles Co. Martin, while sick of fever, wandered into the woods, where he died, and his body was eaten by the hogs. His shirt, which his name upon it, was found sometime afterward, and except for that, his friends would never have known what became of him.

BROWNING.-- Daniel F. J. Browning was a native of KY., where he married a wealthy widow, from whom he afterward separated. He was always an unlucky man, and attributed his ill fortune to the fact that he once volunteered to hang a negro. The sheriff of the county where he lived, being averse to executing the criminal, offered $10 to anyone who would drive the cart from under him. Browning accepted the offer, and drove the cart from under the negro; but after that, his life became a burden to him. He lost his property, separated from his wife, and then came to MO., where he supported himself for several years by teaching school. He taught in White's Fort, and at several other places. during the Slicker war, he kept a ferry at Chain-of-Rocks, and was ordered by the Slickers not to put any anti-Slicker men across the river at that place. But he paid no attention to the order, and a party of Slickers went to his house one night to lynch him; but he heard them coming, and mounting his horse, swam the river and escaped. sometime afterward, a friend met him in Lincoln County and inquired where he was going. Browning pulled out a little pistol, about 2: long, and replied that he was "going to kill every d----d Slicker he met". But the places where he buried his dead have not been discovered.

BABER.-- Hiram Baber married a daughter of JESSE BOONE. He was sheriff of St. Charles Co. one term, and was a reckless, fun-loving sort of a man. He built a brick residence in St. Charles, and carved over the door, in large letters, "Root Hog, or Die". He moved from St. Charles to Jefferson City, and became one of the leading men of the state. He made a great deal of money, and spent it as freely as he made it. He would often, in braggadocio, light his pipe wit bank bills, to show how easily he could make money and how little he cared for it 



A-B     C-D     E-L     M-P     R-Z     Others



  Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.




Site Map
powered by FreeFind


Search my sites
     powered by FreeFind


What's New
powered by FreeFind   
Search WWW

Search this site for:

Comments, errata or suggestions? Email me

Last modified:Sunday, 09-Nov-2003 16:34:45 MST