St. Charles Families R-Z

St. Charles Families R-Z

Home ] A History of Pioneer Families of Missouri ]


Users of this material should be aware of its limitations. It was not painstakingly researched. It should be used like an interview, i.e., as a clue to further research, rather than as an authoritative source. See Dorris Keeven's comments.

Disclaimer: The opinions on these pages are those of the writers and don't necessarily reflect my own views. More..

Biographical Material
The Black Book
John Jay Johns Journal
Notes on Families:
Orrick Johns
Pen of John Jay Johns
Pioneer Families of MO
St. Charles, MO
Tax Records

Carl Friedrich Gauss Page
Wilhelm Ahrens Speech
Scan of Letter from Gauss
G. Waldo Dunnington Article

Chambless, Sanderson, Simmons



A-B     C-D     E-L     M-P     R-Z     Others



OTHER FAMILIES OF ST. CHARLES COUNTY The following additional histories of families in St. Charles county were obtained after the preceding pages of this work had gone to press.

ALEXANDER.-- The Alexanders were among the early colonial settlers. They located in VA. prior to the rev. and John Alexander, the first of whom we have any definite record, was an officer of the American army during the struggle for independence. His son, James H., who also was a VA. farmer, came to MO. in the fall of 1829, and settled on a farm in the lower part of Dardenne Prairie, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1836. His wife died in 1833. They left four children, two sons and two daughters, that latter being the younger. One of the sons, William Archibald, better known by the familiar name of Arch, was 12 years of age when his father died, having been born in Rockbridge Co., VA., June 15, 1824. He was taken back to VA. by a family of relatives, and educated for the legal profession. He devoted three years to study in the literary department of Washington College, now Washington and Lee University, when he returned to St. Louis and entered the law office of SPAULDING & TIFFNEY, as a student. The following year he was admitted to the bar, and began the practice of his profession in the office of HON. WILLIAM M. CAMPBELL, where he remained until the death of the latter. He then returned to VA. and spent a year in traveling through the south, when he came back to MO. and located in St. Charles. there he met with marked success, and was soon elected Public Administrator. He was subsequently elected to the office of Commissioner of Public Schools, and i 1870 was chosen Mayor of the city of St. Charles, an office which he filled with great credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. In 1872 he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of the county, and was re-elected in 1874. He possesses a pleasant address, a fine flow of language, a handsome personal appearance, and is universally popular. He was married Dec. 10, 1861, to AGNES BEHRENS, daughter of DR. HENRY and BERTHA BEHRENS, of St. Charles.

ANDERSON.-- Robert A. Anderson, of KY., settled in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1838. His wife was RACHEL GIVENS, of KY., by whom he had Harriet J., Margaret A., America, Alexander G., and Sarah L. Sarah and Margaret married PRESTON B. SCOTT, at present of St. Louis. America married ALCANA DELANA FORTUNATUS FLEMING TROUT, of Warren county, who was noted for his unusually numerous names and eccentric disposition. Major A. G. Anderson was married in Vernon County, to MARY ROBERTS, and they now live in St. Louis. He was a major in the famous first Missouri Brigade, on the confederate side, during the late war, and is well known all over the state. He is a man of fine address and more than ordinary ability.

ATKINSON.-- John Atkinson moved from Louisville, KY., and settled in St. Charles about the year 1843. Prior to that time, he was extensively engaged with his brother in the milling business at Louisville, KY., and Richmond, VA. He bought the large stone mill on the river bank in St. Charles from GEORGE COLLIER, and operated it successfully for many years. The flour manufactured by him attained a high reputation, in the south, and in New York and Liverpool; and it might be said with propriety that he was one of the first millers in the west who helped establish the reputation of St. Louis and St. Charles flour, and gave it that high standing it has since enjoyed, both at home and abroad. Contemporary with him, were EDWARD WALSH, A. W. FAGIN, and DENNIS MARKS, prominent millers of St. Louis, who, with him, may be said to have been the founders of the present immense milling business in St. Louis and St. Charles; an interest that has grown to such gigantic proportions and which has contributed so largely to the wealth and commercial prosperity of the two localities. About 1830 Mr. Atkinson purchased a large mill in Pekin, Illinois, intending to carry on both establishments, and had just completed thorough and extensive repairs on the property, when it was destroyed by fire, inflicting on him a severe loss from which he never fully recovered. He returned to St. Charles, and operated the mill there till about the breaking out of the war, after which he did not again engage in active business. During his business life in St. Charles, his operations were on a large scale, and gave employment to a great number of men in his mill and in connection with it. He was one of the most prominent and highly esteemed citizens of the place, and his memory is held in kind remembrance by the older people here, who knew him, and esteemed him in the highest degree or his sterling qualities as an upright, honorable business man, and for his genial and social traits. He married his first wife, VIRGINIA DAVIDSON, of Petersburg, VA., in Louisville, KY. She bore him 8 children, of whom only 3 are living: Robert and John, well known and prominent merchants of St. Charles, and Virginia, wife of E. E. CHASE, ESQ., an extensive hardware merchant of Edina, MO. His 2nd wife, formerly MISS LOCKWOOD, of Binghampton, N. Y., survives him. Mr. Atkinson was a gentleman of the old school, with the strictest sense of honor, a man of warm and generous impulses, charitable and kind hearted. He was a public spirited citizen, contributing liberally to all deserving enterprises, and taking a warm interest in all undertakings tending to advance the interests of his section of the country. He was one of the original projectors and a strong friend of the North Missouri Railroad, and lent his aid and influence toward securing its success. 

BARADA.-- Louis Barada was born in St. Louis, and settled with his parents in St. Charles about the year 1800, where he resided during the rest of his life. He died in March, 1852 and his wife died in Feb. 1873. Mr. Barada followed various occupations, but devoted most of his time to the butchering business and milling. He assisted in the building of the famous old stone flouring mill, in which he at one time owned an interest. He also helped to build the old stone Catholic church, and was one of its trustees for many years, serving in that capacity until his death. He married ELLEN GAGNON, by whom he had 11 children: Louis, Jr., Dansciene, Louise, Ann N., Mary, Pierre, Benoist, Ellen, John B., Lucille, and Eulalie. Louis, Jr., Dansciene, Benoist and Eulalie died in childhood, and Pierre died at the age of 10 years. Louise married DAVID KNOTT, who died in St. Louis in 1848. His widow still resides in that city. Ann N. married ANTOINE LEFAIVRE, who died in 1853; she is still living. Mary married CHARLES CORNOYER, who died in t. Louis in 1871, and his widow still resides there. Ellen was married twice; first to JOHN LEFAIVRE, who died two years afterward, and she subsequently married JOSEPH WIDEN, who died from injuries received from the explosion of the steamer George C. Wolf. His widow lives in St. Louis. John B. was a clerk on the steamer Robert, and died in St. Louis of yellow fever, contracted in new Orleans. Lucille married LUCIEN F. LACROIX, and died in St. Louis in 1863. Mr. LaCroix married again, and is living in Helena, Montana, publishing the Daily Independent. 

BOYSE.-- Matthew R. Boyse was born in Wexford Co., Ireland, in 1788. In 1814 he married ANN CULLIN, and in 1825 they emigrated to the United States. They settled first in Wheeling, VA., but came to St. Louis, MO. in 1827. In 1837 they removed to St. Charles, but returned to St. Louis in 1843, where they resided the rest of their lives. Mr. Boyse died Dec. 25, 1864, and his widow died in 1874, aged 79 years. They had 15 children, of whom the following lived to be grown: Mary, Ellen, John, Clement, Martin, Ann, Matthew, Jane and William. Mary married SAMUEL MAXWELL, of St. Louis, and died in 1872. Ellen married DANIEL EMERSON, of Dog Prairie, St. Charles county. John married MRS. MCKINNEY, whose maiden name was CELESTE CORNOYER, and died in 1868. Clement married MARTHA A. DRURY. Martin married JOHANNA CASEY, of Washington county. Ann married MICHAEL MCGUIRE, of St. Louis. Matthew married ELLEN MURPHY OF St. Louis, and died in 1857. Jane married JOHN O'BRIEN, of Lincoln Co.

CUNNINGHAM.-- Col. Thomas W. Cunningham came to St. Charles, from VA., in 1830. His life has always been governed by motives of purity and honesty, and there is no man in the county or state who enjoys the esteem and respect of his fellow-citizens in a higher degree than does Colonel Cunningham. Public duties entrusted to him have been as faithfully and carefully attended to as if they were his own private affairs; and it can be truly said of him that he has never shirked a responsibility or evaded a duty. He is now in his 77th year, has laid aside the cares of business, and enjoys himself in the society of his family and the companionship of his books. He has been a close student for many years, and his library is one of the rarest in the county. The first civil office to which the Colonel was elected was that of Public Surveyor of St. Charles county, a position which he filled for a number of years in the most satisfactory manner. He was subsequently chosen mayor of the city of St. Charles, and made one of the best executive officers the city ever had. During the Black Hawk war, he served as colonel of a regiment, and retained his sword until the late war between the North and South, when he was forced to reluctantly surrender it to the military authorities. Colonel Cunningham married ELIZABETH A. CHRISTMAN, of Lincoln County, and they had 6 children: Josepha, Theresa, Henry A., John C., Thomas S., and Bettie Barr. Josepha married J. H. AIKIN, of VA., and at present, resides in Warren Co., MO. Theresa and Bettie Barr died in infancy. Henry A. is a prominent attorney of St. Louis. He graduated at St. Charles College and studied law in his father's office. His success at the bar has been brilliant, and though a young man, he has acquired a considerable fortune. He has managed a number of cases with great ability in the United States Supreme court, is at present, a prominent candidate for Judge of the court of appeals of MO., and will probably be elected, as he is supported by Democrats and Republicans without regard to party affiliations. He has traveled extensively in the United States and Europe, is polished and gentlemanly in his manners, and universally popular. John C. Cunningham died at the age of 27 Thomas S. studied law in his father's office, was admitted to the bar, and is meeting with good success for a young attorney. He was elected to the office of Public administrator two years ago.

CUNNINGHAM - Edward C. Cunningham was born in Frederick County, Maryland, Feb. 22, 1809. He married MARGARET BUXTON, of Montgomery Co., Maryland, on the 27th of Jan., 1831, and emigrated to MO. in 1836. He remained one year inn St. Charles county, and then removed to Warren, but remained there only a short time, when he came back to St. charles, where he has since resided. In the spring of 1838, Mr. Cunningham was appointed Collector of revenues for the city of St. Charles, and the following August, was elected Constable of the township. In 1844, he was elected sheriff of the county, as an independent candidate, and was re-elected in 1846. since the expiration of his second term of office, he has been employed in various branches of business, such as farming, stock raising, dealing in stock, and butchering; and at present he is cultivating his farm near St. Charles, attending to the butcher's business, and operating a coal mine. He purchased the WARDLOW farm in 1847, and is still proprietor of the place. the stepping plank to the horse-block at his front gate was placed there by MR. WARDLOW, fourty-four years ago, and it is still sound and used for the same purpose. In 1845, Mr. Cunningham introduced a new variety of wheat, from Frederick County, Maryland, called the Zimmerman, which has since become the standard wheat of St. Charles county, and has given a reputation to the wheat and flour of that county, which extends over a large portion of the civilized world. In 1840 he imported from Albany, N. Y., the first Berkshire hogs that had ever been introduced into St. Charles county, and since that time, the county has become celebrated for its fine pork. By his first wife, Mr. Cunningham had 4 children: mary, Nancy E., Charles W., and Margaret S. Mary and Margaret S. died in infancy. Nancy E. died in her 13th year and Charles W. died in his 18th year. Mrs. Cunningham died Aug. 28, 1836, and her husband afterward married ELIZABETH SLAGLE, of Frederick Co., Maryland, by whom he had Sarah N., Frederick S., Edward L., Ann E., John M., and Elizabeth S. Ann F., Elizabeth S. and Sarah N. died in infancy. Frederick S. married ANN TAYLOR. He was at one time postmaster of St. Charles, but, being in bad health, he resigned the office and went to California, where he died on April 23, 1865. His widow afterward married CHARLES A. CUNNINGHAM, and now resides in Carrollton, MO. Edward L. married MARY STEWART, and lives in Texas. John M. is in business with his father. Mrs. Cunningham died May 1, 1854, and on the 21st of Dec., 1854, he married TERESA JOHNSON, of Cumberland, Maryland, who died Aug. 16, 1855.

CRUSE.-- Francis and Elizabeth Cruse were natives of Prussia. They emigrated to America and settled in St. Charles county in 1834, and were married soon after. They had 5 children. Mrs. Cruse died in 1844, but Mr. Cruse survived until 1853. Their eldest son, Joseph, was born Oct. 20, 1837, and is now a prominent citizen of his native county. He learned the carpenter's trade at the age of 16, with F. SMITH & CO., of St. Louis; but preferring agricultural pursuits, he purchased a farm in Cuivre township, where he has since resided. He has been three times elected to the office of Justice of the peace in his township, and was appointed notary public by GOV. FLETCHER in 1871. In 1870 he was elected one of the judges of the county court, and at the expiration of his first term, was re-elected to the same position. He has made a faithful and efficient officer, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizen. He is a leading member of the Catholic Church, and possesses a friendly, sociable disposition. He was married in 1860 to JOSEPHINE BECKMAN.

DURFEE. -- Rev. Thomas Durfee came to St. Charles from Fall River, Mass., in 1827.  He was a graduate of Brown University, Rhode Island, and of the Theological Seminary at Andover, Mass.  In 1828 he was married to Miss Ann Glenday, who was a niece of Thomas Lindsay, and then living with him.  Mr. Durfee lived several years after his marriage in callaway county, as pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Auxvassee.  He afterward returned to St. Charles, and was agent of the American Bible Society, and in 1833 -- the great cholera year -- he died at the house of Thomas Lindsay.  Mr. Durfee was a man of great worth and a fine preacher.  He left two daughters, Jane S., who afterwards was married to John Jay Johns, and Margaret Lindsay, who is now the wife of E. P. Borden, of Philadelphia.  Mrs. Durfee, after the death of her husband, continued to live with her uncle, Thomas Lindsay, till his death in 1843.  At her uncle's death she was, by his will, possessed of his old homestead, where she continued to reside till 1850, when she went to live with her son-in-law, John Jay Johns, with whom she still resides.  She is a great enthusiast on the subject of education, and is using her means freely in educating her grand children.  Her eldest daughter, Mrs. Johns, was educated at Monticello, Ills., and Mrs. Borden at Bradford Seminary, in Massachusetts. [p. 202]

HILBERT.-- Jacob F. Hilbert and wife came from Carlile, Cumberland Co., PA., to St. Charles county in July, 1836. For about 7 years after his arrival in that county, Mr. Hilbert was engaged in the distilling business with his brother, John; but it did not prove remunerative, and he removed to the city of St. Charles, where he remained until his death, which occurred May 7, 1848. In 1843 he acted as deputy sheriff of the county, and Councilman for the city of St. Charles. He was afterward elected assessor of the county, and was performing the duties of that office at the time of his death. He married CRESENTIA YEALLY, of PA., before his removal to MO., and they had 5 children, three of whom are living, viz: Julius, Jerome and Jacob. Mr. H. was upright and prompt in all his transactions with his fellowmen, and his death was an irreparable loss to the community. His estimable widow lives in the house that he purchased 33 years ago. John Hilbert, a brother of Jacob, settled in St. Charles county in 1836. He came from Elizabethtown, PA. During his residence in St. Charles, he held the various offices of constable, councilman and mayor, and always discharged his duties in a conscientious manner and to the best of his ability. He possessed considerable force of character, and was firm in his adherence to principle and the measures which he deemed just and right. He married ELIZA CLOSE, and they raised 5 children. He died in 1871, and his widow resides in St. Louis. Aloyscus Z Hilbert, another brother, came from Rochester, N.Y. to Franklin Co., MO., in 1826, where he married SARAH JOHNSON, and with his wife, removed to St. Charles. He had the reputation of being one of the best millers in the west and did the first stone dressing that was ever done on the buhrs of the old COLLIER mill. He was a member of the firm of WOODS & HILBERT, flour manufacturers, of New Orleans, twenty seven years ago; and during MAYOR PRATT's administration, he was flour inspector of st. louis. His first wife died, and he afterward married MRS. MARTHA SPENCER, who now resides in Iowa. Mr. Hilbert was killed in St. Louis, in 1873, by a fall down a flight of stairs at the hotel where he was stopping. He received a wound in the head from which he died in an hour. He had gained an extended reputation as a miller, and among his effects were found strong letters of recommendation from Messeurs. CHOUTEAU, JULES and FELIX VALLE, and J. & E. WALSH, the latter stating that the popularity of their brand of flour in the south and south America was due in no small degree, to the skill and intelligent services of Mr. Hilbert. 

MCROBERTS.-- John McRoberts and wife settled in Lincoln Co., KY., about 1785. They had a son named George, who married SALLY EMBREE, by whom he had Milton, Fannie, Harvey, Nancy S., Preston, John, Harrison, Julia A., and Mary B. In 1824 they removed to MO. and settled in Boone county, where Mr. McRoberts and his son, Harvey, died the same year. The widow and the rest of the children then returned to KY., but in 1828 they came back to MO. and settled in St. Charles county. In the meantime, Milton had married HARRIET LOGAN, and settled in St. Charles co. in 1826. Nancy married FRANK HUN, who settled in St. Charles county in 1830. Preston married FANNIE WADE, of Lincoln County. John returned to KY., married NANCY MASSEY, and remained in that state. Harrison was married twice; first to HARRIET J. ANDERSON, and second to RACHEL E. PHILLIPS, Julia A. married BENJAMIN WALKER.

PHILLIPS.--Jenkin Phillips, of VA., married RACHEL GRUBB, by whom he had Rhoda, William, Benjamin, Rachel and Jenkin, Jr. Mrs. Phillips died in Va., and her husband, with his son, Jenkin, Jr., and daughter Rhoda, settled in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1838, where he died in 1837. Jenkin, Jr., was married twice; first to MARGARET KINNEAR, who died in 1844; and second to MARTHA SMITH. Rhoda died single, in 1844.



A-B     C-D     E-L     M-P     R-Z     Others



  Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.




Site Map
powered by FreeFind


Search my sites
     powered by FreeFind


What's New
powered by FreeFind   
Search WWW

Search this site for:

Comments, errata or suggestions? Email me

Last modified:Sunday, 09-Nov-2003 16:34:55 MST