A group of early Swedish settlers first met for worship in an old schoolhouse one mile east of Kiron in the territory that is now known as “Old Kiron”. Under the leadership of the Rev. J. Telleen of Des Moines they held their first service. These first Swedish settlers came to the community in 1867 and at that time they were called “Separatists”, having separated from the Church of Sweden. They organized the first Swedish Baptist church in 1868. A theological student by the name of Joseph Swenson was the first one stationed here to preach.
In 1875, the present Bethel Lutheran congregation was organized with 25 charter members. Six other were admitted later in the year, making a total of 31.
A. P. Lindblad, who served for 30 years as a deacon in the church, arrived in 1874. After working hard on his farm through the week, he often would fill the pulpit on Sunday and preach a wonderful sermon.
Meetings were held six months in the schoolhouse in Old Kiron and the other six months in the schoolhouse two miles north in Sac county. The building of the church was begun in 1879, but for some reason it was not completed until two years later. For this reason it was not dedicated until it was remodeled in 1888.
A theological student, J. A. Martin, came during the summer of 1915. In the fall a call was issued to the Rev. N. E. Glad of Council Bluffs, who served both in Odebolt and in Bethel. He remained in charge until 1926. Since that time the following ministers have served: Rev. Harry Lindberg, 1927 - 30; Rev. Anton Linden, 1930 - 33; Rev. G. Dagner, 1935; Rev. Herbert Johnson, 1935 to the present.
At the present time the membership consists of 158 adult members and 37 children.