P. H. (Patrick Henry) THOMSON, farmer, P. O. Donerail of Harricane Hall, whose portrait appears in this work, was b. Aug. 31, 1819, being the eldest of a family born to W. (William) Z. and Sarah E. (Quarles) Thomson, which consisted of P. H. and a dau. named Sarah J. Q. Our subject was m. May 9, 1839, to Julia M. Farnsworth, who was b. July 1822, near Boston, Mass., dau. of Prof. Ren. (or Ran.) J. and Maria (Ripley) Farnsworth. The Farnsworth family trace their genealogy back to Samuel Farnsworth, was a native of England. On her mother's side, Mrs. Thomson traces back to the year 1638, when one William Ripley, in company with other gentlemen, emigrated from Hingham, England, to the United States, settled in Mass., and founded the place known as Hingham. The Thomson family trace their descent from Samuel Thomson, who was born in Avondale (a parish), Scotland, May 5, 1613. He had three sons and two daughters, John, William, Samuel, Jane and Annie. William was b. April 5, 1635, married and had 3 children, Samuel, John and Jane, the former of whom was b. Nov. 3, 1667. He also married and had two children, Samuel and William. The former was born Dec. 13, 1691, and in the spring of 1717, he emigrated to Virginia from Wales. He belonged to the sect called Anabaptists, and emigrated on account of persecution. In 1726, he married Mary McDonal, a Scotch woman who bore him a son, William, on Aug. 13, 1727, in Spottsylvania, (sic) Virginia. He m. a lady named Rodes and by her had 12 children; Annie, Rodes, Mary, William, Clifton, Asa, John, Eunice ("Unity"), Elizabeth, Lydia, David and Sarah. Clifton, the fifth child, was born Oct. 15, 1761, Spotts. Co., Va. He m. Mary Ragland, dau. of John Ragland, Feb. 28, 1788. By her he had Sarah R., Louisa, Annie, William Z., Martha O., Mary A., Clifton, and Letitia. William Z., our subject's father, m. Sarah A. E. Quarles, dau. of Roger and Jane (Thomson) Quarles, the latter a daughter of Rodes Thomson, the marriage taking place Dec. 10, 1817. To Patrick H. (our subject) and wife were born Ann E., Maria R., Rodes, Franklin F., William C., Sarah P. Q., Roger Q., Clifton R., Ellen P., Minnie H., P. Henry and P. Henry, Jr., of whom the following are deceased: Maria R., Franklin F., Clifton R., and P. Henry. Sarah J. Q. was m. July 5, 1840 to Thomas B. Warner, and to them were born four children., W. H. being the only one surviving. Mr. Thomson has a large tract of land, consisting of 1,500 acres, which he inherited from his father. He is a member of the Cane Run Baptist Church, and a member of the Masonic fraternity, Blue Lodge, R. A. M. and Knights Templer.
JAMES K. THOMSON was the son of Clifton Thomson, who, born in 1761, came to Kentucky during the early settlement and died of cholera in 1833. He was twice married, his first wife being Mary Ragland, born in 1768, and his second, Eliza Ford, born in 1777. The first marriage occurred in 1788, and of it were the following children: Sallie R., born in 1788; Louisa, born in 1790; Annie, born in 1792; William, born in 1793; Martha, born in 1798; Mary Ann, born in 1801, and C. Rodes Thomson, born in 1803, and shot in the court house at Mount Sterling in 1845. The second marriage occurred in 1810, and of it were born a daughter and a son. The former, Emma F., born January 15, 1813, the wife of Dr. W. G. Offutt; James K., the son, born March 2, 1816, grew up on his father's farm, on which he lived till his death. Married, in 1839, Susan T. Ford, who was born in September, 1819, and died in 1852, leaving one son, James C., now living in Parkersburg, W. Va. The widower took as his second wife, on October 9, 1855, a sister of the first. This lady, Mildred A. Ford, was born in Bourbon County, and her parents James and Ann Ford, were early Virginian settlers on Green Creek. Mrs. Thomson's father died in September, 1856, her mother in 1866, and her husband September 20, 1868. Thus was she left parentless and widowed, but with one son, Frank, who still lives on the homestead, four miles from Lexington, on the Maysville pike, where Mrs. Thomson own 400 acres of rich blue grass land, known as "Shady Side Farm." She is a member of the Main Street (Lexington) Christian Church.
COL. CICERO COLEMAN, farmer, P. O. Chilesburg,
was born in Fayette Co., Ky, October 7, 1833. His father, Horace
Coleman, emigrated from Spotsylvania County, Va., about 1810,
and settled in Fayette, where he married Nancy, (Ann Ellis, widow
of Capt. John W. Thomson) daughter of (Capt.) William (& Elizabeth
Shipp) Ellis, also from Virginia. The young Cicero grew up on
the farm and was fairly educated in his youth. In the fall of
1862, he entered the Confederate service as Lieutenant Colonel
of Col. Cluke's regiment, the Eighth Kentucky Calvary, in Gen.
Morgan's command, with which he acted in many of its dasing movements,
being wounded at Hartsville, Tenn. He was Acting Colonel while
Cluke was Acting Brigadier General and at Cluke's death, at Johnson
Island, became Colonel of the regiment. He was captured at Cheshire,
Ohio, during Morgan's memorable raid into that State; remained
ten days at Johnson's Island, whence he was removed with about
sixty-five of his brother officers to the Ohio Penitentiary; and
thence, after about eight months' imprisonment, to Fort Delaware,
where he was confined for a year then being sent to Richmond for
exchange, which could not be effected, he was paroled about a
month before Gen. Lee's surrender, after which he made his way
through Virginia to Kentucky. Arriving home on June 15, 1865,
he returned to work on the farm on which he was born, eight and
one-half miles from Lexington, of which farm he has been the owner
since his father's death. His widowed mother is still living at
the advanced age of eighty-three years. In December, 1867, he
married Miss Eva Field, of Boone County, Mo., and they have one
child named Horace, now eleven years of age. Col. Coleman is an
uncompromising Democrat, is a member of the Masonic fraternity
and the Odd Fellows, and belongs to the Baptist Church at David's
Fork. His wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Salem,
in Clark County. On his farm of 200 acres, to which is given the
name "Maple Grove," Col. Coleman breeds superior Short
Horn cattle, and the best of Cotswold sheep, from imported stock.
He recently spent some months in Colorado, winding up an estate
of a brother in law.
(He had a full brother, Marquis.)