Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)

The Goldendale Sentinel, Goldendale, WA., April 13, 1950, page 1


     Saturday, April 22, Grace Lutheran Church of Klickitat, will observe the 25th anniversary of the congregation's founding. The special anniversary committee has announced that a two-day observance of the event will be held with special gatherings on the evening of April 22 and the morning of April 23 at the church. Former pastors of the congregation, the Rev. R.A. Tschirley, now of Wenatchee and the Rev. E.R. Schramm, now of Bremerton will return to speak at special anniversary services. All former members and friends of the congregation are being asked to take part in the observance.
     The history of Grace Lutheran Church goes back to the time when a group of Lutherans took up residence in Klickitat to work for the newly located J. Neils Lumber company. Their request for Lutheran service brought the Rev. W.F. Georg, then secretary of missions for the Oregon-Washington District of the Missouri Synod, to Klickitat for the first service in February, 1924. Twenty-seven people attended the service held in Hubbard's Hall. It is significant that of this number twelve are still in membership today. This original membership has now grown to include 136 souls and 96 communicants.
     Formal organization of Grace Lutheran Church took place on April 22, 1925, when a constitution was adopted. Signers at that time were: Hugo Schmidt, W.H. Rathert, H. Wickman Sr., G. Steindorf, G.F. Neils, and C. Ulbricht. All charter members with the exception of H. Wickman, sr., who passed away in December, 1949, are still in membership. Since its inception Grace Church has held membership in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and has come to hold a respected position among Northwest congregations in support of Northwest District and General Synodical endeavors.
     In addition to its first pastor, the Rev. Kempf, Grace Church has been served by Pastor R. Tschirley from March, 1929 till November, 1933, by Pastor E. Schramm from February, 1934 till November 1944, and since January, 1945 by the present pastor, the Rev. D.C. Schroeder.
     During the years Grace congregation has held its worship service at several locations; Hubbard's Hall, the public school building, its first chapel, 1928 to 1940, and the present chapel since 1940. The present church structure, designed by F.R. Webber of New York, is an outstanding example of Cape Cod Colonial design and ranks among the finest chapels in the Northwest.
     Last fall a beautiful parsonage of Cape Cod Colonial architecture was added to the church property. Men of the congregation are at present giving hundreds of hours of volunteer labor in landscaping this new property. A special anniversary project has also been carried out by members in renovating the church basement.
     In the course of its existence Grace Lutheran Church has always maintained a program of Christian education. Sunday School, Saturday School, Vacation Bible School, Junior and Senior Bible Classes, and weekly Church membership classes for young and old have been conducted. Among its organizations the congregation numbers the Ladies Aid, the Fellowship Club and the Walther League.

The Goldendale Sentinel, Goldendale, WA., April 27, 1950, page 6


     Former members and friends of Grace Lutheran Church of Klickitat it joined the congregation during the past weekend in observing the 25th anniversary of the congregation's founding. Guests from Bremerton, Washougal and Goldendale in Washington and Lebanon, Portland and Hubbard in Oregon were present. Some 270 persons attended special services on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. The Rev. Frederick Riess, pastor of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church of Washougal and a 'son' of Grace Church, and the Rev. E.R. Schramm, pastor of Memorial Lutheran Church of Bremerton and pastor of Grace Church from 1934 to 1944, were the principal speakers.
     Reminiscing and renewing of old acquaintances marked the social hour held in the church basement Saturday evening after the anniversary service. Gerhard Neils was master of ceremonies and presented speakers E.R. Schramm, F. Riess, C. Ulbricht and D.C. Schroeder. Refreshments served by the Ladies Aid were highlighted by a special anniversary cake featuring the symbol of Grace Lutheran, the motto of the anniversary observance - Soli Deo Gloria -- and surmounted by an _____ replica of the present church building. A potluck dinner Sunday afternoon at the clubroom concluded the anniversary program. Unable to attend because of illness were the Rev. W.A. Georg, who conducted the first service for Grace congregation and the Rev. R.A. Tschirley, pastor of Grace Church from 1929 to 1933.

©  Jeffrey L. Elmer