Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Historic Placenames of the Family of Walsh
Index: Home | Walsh History | Walsh Biographies | Walsh Arms | WWW Walshes | Contact

Historic Placenames of the
Family of Walsh (Walshe)

Abberley     (Worcestershire, England)
Henry VIII granted Abberley to his Groom of the King's Chamber, Walter Walsh whose family lived at nearby Shelsley. The Walshes held Abberley for over 175 years, but not without interruption. Queen Elizabeth I took it away to give to a favourite, but after a law suit it was restored to the Walshes. Joseph Walsh fought on the Royalist side at the Battle of Worcester on September 3rd, 1651 and later suffered imprisonment for his loyalty to the Crown.
Source: Internet history for Abberley Hall

Balally     (Taney parish, County Dublin)
After having been, about 1334, in the possession of Maurice Howell and Gregory Taunton, already mentioned as tenants to the Priory of the Holy Trinity for the lands of Cabinteely and Brenanstown, the lands of Balally, came into the possession of the Walshes of Carrickmines. Like other lands bordering on the mountains, those of Balally suffered much from "wars and casualties of fortune," and in a grant from the Crown in 1407 to William Walsh it was conditioned that he should build a small castle upon them. Although a considerable time elapsed before its completion, this castle was ultimately erected, and became the residence of a branch of the Walsh family. In 1546 Thomas Walsh, who was then in possession of three houses and eighty-one acres in Balally, besides the castle, died there, and was succeeded by his son, John, then a minor; in 1597 William Walsh was in possession, and in 1641 James Walsh was seized of the castle and lands, as well as of those of Edmondstown, near Rathfarnham. After James Walsh's death in 1646 his son, Henry, disposed of Balally for �700 to Mr. John Borr, of Dublin.
Source: A History of the County Dublin by Francis Elrington Ball.

Ballycaroge     (Kilrossanty parish, County Waterford)
A castle belonging to the Walsh family, as described by Samuel Lewis in his 1837 book, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. A Sir Nicholas Walshe of Bally Keerogue, died about 1615? According to the Walsh historian, J.C. Walsh, Ballycarrickmore can be identified definitely with Ballykeroge, one of the properties of the Waterford family of Walsh.

Ballyhale     (Derrynahinch parish, Kilkenny)
In Irish "Baile Heil", or Howel's homestead, is a townland covering an area of 368 acres in Derrynahinch parish of County Kilkenny. Howel was a christian name peculiar to the Walshes of the Mountains and Ballyhale is referred to as Howellstown in 14th century documents. The old Walshe castle adjoins the present Catholic church. The village is comparatively modern containing only a dozen houses in 1800. Skarra rock, i.e. Scairbh, a high river-ledge, is a small subdivision near the Little Arrigle river and Tulach, a hill, is the area west of the creamery with Moin mhor Commons, a district name, opposite. Blessing of trean water by the priest in Spring against wire worm attacks on corn crops is customary here.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Ballykilcavan     (County Laois)
Just outside Stradbally in County Laois is Ballykilcavan, the home of the Walsh Kemmis family. The land was bought from the Hartepoles in 1639 by the Walshs of the Mountain, a Kilkenny clan. The present house incorporates the late 17th century house built by the second Walsh to live there but it was enlarged and modernised both at the beginning and at the end of the 18th century, though the latter improvements were never completed due to the rebellion of 1798.
Source: Country Houses of Laois -

Ballynacooly     (Killahy parish, Kilkenny)
Baile na culach, or place of angle, covers 158 acres in Killahy parish of County Kilkenny. There is a long angle in the north of this townland. Ballynacooly castle, of which little remains, was Walsh property and James Walsh paid 2/- hearth money for his house here in 1664.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Belline     (Fiddown parish, Kilkenny)
Belline House was a country manor built by Peter Walsh of Piltown in the late 18th century. Peter was descended from the Walshes of Knockmoylan and of Fanningstown, his 4th great grandparents stated as Philip Walsh and Eleanor Butler. The manor house was later bought by Frederick Ponsonby, 3rd Earl of Bessborough.
Source: Walsh of Fanningstown, Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland - publ. 1912

Carrickbyrne     (Newbawn parish, Bantry barony, County Wexford)
At Carrickbyrne is the townland of Courthoyle which remembers the name of the 'Howels' who lived there in early days. This was a family referred to in early records using Howel as a patronymic, e.g. Howel son of Stephen, Oliver son of Howel, etc. It is believed they were ancestors to the Walsh of the Mountain family, the early records recording the lands of these 'Howels' in the hands of the Walsh family in later times. In 1247 Howel de Karcbren who held 1/2 knight's fee in 1247 at Carrickbyrne. In 1324 Howel son of Stephen held the fee at Carrickbyrne. In 1361 Oliver son of Howell fitz Stephen held the lordship of Lotheran in Kilkenny. In 1371 Walter son of Walter son of Oliver Howel transferred his possession in Kilkenny to Geoffrey son of Nicholas Howell Walshe. In 1425 the heir of Oliver Howell held the fee at Carrickbyrne. About 1600 the lands of Carrickbyrne were held by Walter Walsh of Castlehowel (Walsh of the Mountain family).
Source: Knights' Fees in Counties Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny, by Eric St. John Brooks - publ. 1950

Carrickmines     (Tully parish, County Dublin)
All that's left of Carrickmines castle, formerly Carrigmayne (Little Plain of Rocks), in Dublin County is a stretch of wall. It is of massive proportions, and contains a loophole or window. This fragment is all that remains of a strongly-fortified castle, which was erected at Carrickmines, after the English Conquest, to protect the south marches of the City of Dublin. The area of Carrickmines was said to be a Walsh residence very early after the Norman Invasion of Ireland in the late twelfth century. David Walsh was said to have been made Baron of Carrickmines by King Henry II in 1172, however the tenant in chief there for centuries was the Archbishop of Dublin. Henry Walsh was the 'their captain' in 1441 at Carrigmayne. The lands of Carrickmines, which were held direct from the Crown by military service, had been conveyed to his grandfather, Henry, son of Adam Walsh, by John and David Walsh, and had come subsequently into the possession of his father, William Walsh, who, in 1407, was residing on part of them called Symondstown. Henry Walsh had succeeded to the lands in 1420, as a minor. The 16th century found the Walshes in occupation, either as tenants or owners, of a very wide extent of country, and they had become one of the most important families on the southern side of Dublin
Sources: Dublin Castles web site, J. C. Walsh's book "Walsh 1170-1690", and A History of the County Dublin by Francis Elrington Ball.

Castlebanny     (Derrynahinch parish, Kilkenny)
Cailean an bhainne, or castle of the milk or milking, is a townland covering 20,69 acres of Derrynahinch parish. Castlebanny was a hill fortress of the Walshes. It stood just where the two ranges of hills come together. This wide hill area extending over the mountain ridge and bordering Coolnahau on the eastern slope may have derived its name from hill dairying. There is a hamlet marked on the Ordinance Survey sheet. The ruined castle is locally called the Caiseal and near it by the roadside is a small rath. Old residents here state that Jack o' the Lantern moves along the mountain on dark nights.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985
and The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh by J.C. Walsh

Castlegannon     (Derrynahinch parish, Kilkenny)
In Irish "Cailean Gheannain", or Gannon's stone fortress, is a townland covering 970 acres in Derrynahinch parish of County Kilkenny. This caiseal and Castlebanny were hill fortresses of the Walshes. Kilcredy, i.e. Cill Chreide, St. Crede's church now in ruins is in Castlegannon lower hamlet (Kilcredy is not a townland) and there is also an upper hamlet and one small rath. Carrigan states that Kilcredy is probably one of the oldest churches in the Diocese of Ossory and that it was appropriated to the Priory of Kells early in the 13th century. Carriag mhor was a wooded area until 1942 and the Coill lia, the grey wood, and Sliabh an cheannai, the castle-jobber's mountain, are local names; also Sean na Sidheog's corner named after a local queer character. The Roadstone Company is now working the Gray Wood quarry.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Castlehale     (Castle Hoyle or Hoel or Howel)
Castlehale, in the Barony of Kells, is said to have been a square castle flanked by four towers. It stood at the northern end of the mountain, overlooking the plain northeast of Kilmaganny. On the distant northern horizon other mountains are in view. First constructed by Howel (or Hoyle) Walsh (aka Haylen Brenagh) in the thirteenth century, it deserved to be ranked among the chief residences of the county Kilkenny.
Appearing in arms against Cromwell, circa 1650, the Walsh clan there was defeated. Many were executed on the spot and buried at the foot of the hill near the castle. Later, in making a road in the area the late Mr. G. Reade (circa 1800) discovered the bones, and caused a sweep to be formed, which marks the place. Since that time none of the family have existed as landed proprietors, but the name is frequent among the country people.
Source: The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh by J.C. Walsh
Read more at The Legacy of Castlehale

Castlemorris     (Aghavillar parish, Kilkenny)
Diore lia, a grey wood. Area 512 acres. The Morris family got a grant of land here in 1653, almost certainly Walsh possessions before the Confiscations, as the Morrises and Reades got grants of the Walsh lands in old Rossaney at this time....
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Clonassy     (Kilmacow parish, Kilkenny)
Cluain Easa, meadow of the Assy river, area 1,054 acres. The Assy or Poulanassy river rising in Barnadown, Aughavillar parish, flows southwards through Harristown and Garrygaug joining Derrylecky river here at Clonassy. The waterfall on the river must have given its name to this and to Poulanassy townland. Carrigan states that the ancient church called Sean-Eaglais, stood "by the stepping stones of Assy river" and that the church and churchyard were uprooted in 1850; also that a pillar stone north of the church on the by-road to Garrygaug is known as Cloch an tsaidiura, the soldier's stone, and also as Cloch an phalmaire, the pilgrim's stone. Only traces of the foundations of Clonassy castle, owned by Robert Walshe, Lord of the Mountain, who was slain at the Siege of Limerick 1690, remain in a field called Pairc an chaisleain. Robert was one time M.P. for Kilkenny.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Cloone     (Kilmoganny parish, Kilkenny)
Cluain, a meadow. Area 374 acres. The name is recorded in 15th century documents as Cluain Stallain and as Cluain Sheain Bhhui, believed to be one of the Walshes. Cloone castle, in ruins, was Walshe property to 1446, then given to Jerpoint Abbey and to the Ormonde family at the suppression of the abbey.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985
"Clone Castle, the revenues of which were given to Jerpoint Abbey, was nevertheless known as Cloone MacShaneboy or Cloone of the son of yellow John (Walsh)."
Source: Statistical Observations Relative to the County of Kilkenny - William Tighe 1802
The early 19th century maps of Aher and Clements corroborate the former name of the townland of Clone as Clanmacshaneboy or Cluone.

Derrylecky     (Derrynahinch parish, Kilkenny)
Doire leacach, the flaggy oak-grove, covers an area of 827 acres of Derrynahinch parish. This district is mostly mountain and rough pasture usually called the Derrylecky Bogs. The Old Dairy here was a mountain booley of the Walshes, Derrynahinch. Coolaun mountain adjoins the bogs eastward and Ucht na gcearc, the hill-brow of the grouse is a subdivision. Fields in this area are Carraig na mbuachailli; Carraig na sionnach; Carraig Anderson; Moin ghiuis, the fir bog; and Poet O'Neill's field. The late William Henebry recalled twenty houses here 60 years ago -- only two now.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Derrynahinch     (Derrynahinch parish, Kilkenny)
Doire na hinse, or oak-grove of the holm, covers an area of 992 acres in the parish of Derrynahinch. It is given as Ath Dhoire na hInse in the Red Book of Ossory. The ancient church, in ruins, is in the Church field beside Derrynahinch House, the home of the Walshe family over a long period. St. Mocheallog was patron of the church and two holy-water fonts belonging to it are still in Ballyhale church. There is a well called Tobar geal, a clear spring. Caureisk is a subdivision of Upper Derrynahinch where there was an ancient enclosure of eight upright stones with a circumference of 60 yards, now long destroyed, called Leaba Dhiarmada agus Grainne and locally known as Long Darby's grave. Fields in the area are Coill Bheag, a little wood, and Cul Thaidhg, Tadg's hill.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Earlsrath     (townland in Kilbeacon parish, Kilkenny)
At Earlsrath, Rath Iarla, Earl's or de Earley's rath, near Kilbeacon in the parish of Mullinavat, there was "a very large fort, oblong and surrounded by a deep fosse, formerly filled with water, with a bank about 20 feet high, formerly faced with square stones." The area was about 75 yards by 55. Some historians claim that this was the scene of a great battle, long before the Norman invasion (circa 1170). It was a spot that had to be controlled by those who had interests to protect above and below it, and was doubtless one of the first Walsh strongholds. The Walsh owner managed to save it at the time of the confiscation (circa 1653). The property was about 2,000 acres in 1800 when Mary Walsh, a widow, had it. The last of the family, Miss Alice, died in 1884, aged 91, after endowing a convent in Mullinavat.
Source: History of the Diocese of Ossory - Rev. Dr. Carrigan, 1905
and The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh by J.C. Walsh

Garrygaug     (Muckalee parish, Kilkenny)
Garrai Dhathog, Little David's garden, area 494 acres. This is the name given in 16th century documents. Muckalee ancient church, almost levelled, and the churchyard are here. St. Canice was the patron and a pattern was formerly held in his honour in the church field. Carrigan states that a Walshe castle once stood in the townland but there is now no trace of it. Knock is a subdivision and there is a well called Tobar an bhile, well of the tree.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Grange Castle     (Mooncoin parish, Kilkenny)
In the parish of Mooncoin, Grange Castle was the seat of another of the younger branches of Walsh. Pierce Walsh was given the Abbey of Owney, in Limerick, when Henry VIII decided that the monasteries should be taken into the King's hand. This castle at Grange was a square keep, roughly built, and very old, with walls five and a half feet thick.
Source: The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh by J.C. Walsh

Grange     (Pollrone parish, Kilkenny)
Grainseach, a grange, area 639 acres. The ruined castle at Grange village belonged to the Walshes of the Mountain. Fields are Carraig an lin(O); Coniceir, a rabbit warren; and the Culog, back land.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Harristown     (Muckalee parish, Kilkenny)
Baile hAnnnrai, Henry or Harry's homestead, area 629 acres. This is an upland district (the highest point 600 ft.), west of the main Kilkenny/Waterford road and is Pobal an Bhreathnaigh, the territory of the Walshes. The Breathnach Mor forfeited this townland and Kilmog in 1653. Our greatest cromleac, Leac an Scail, the warrior's tombstone, is here on the Kilmogue border. It is a simple structure with a sloping cap-stone resting on three upright pillar stones to an elevation of 18 feet at the highest point. The cap-stone is 14 feet long, 11 feet wide and 2 1/2 feet thick with an estimated weight of 25 tons. It is attributed to the Neolithic period but nothing is known of it other than its name. Cluain leacht, the cairn meadow, is the name of the field by the cromleac, and other fields are Ban ard; Currach; Currach Mor; Garrai aitinn; Gleann an tsruthain, the stream glen; Moin Bheagl; Moin fhada; Pairc mhor; Seangharrai and Tulan na ngabhar, the goat's knoll. There are two raths.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Inchacarran     (Killahy parish, Kilkenny)
Inse an charainn, or holm of the stone-pile, covers an area of 118 acres in Killahy parish of Kilkenny. The destroyed structure, close to Mullinavat and near the angle of the Assy and Black rivers is said to have been the residence of Sean MacBhaiteir Breathnach (1580 - 1660), aka John MacWalter Walsh, Bard of the Walshe Mountains and one of the most important and powerful gaelic poets of that age. In 1664 it is recorded that Inchacarran was given to a Cromwellian. John MacWalter had a dance tune called ''Tatter Jack Walsh'' named after him. He was buried in Kilbeacon cemetery. The site of the original castle was located in the field beside the parish GAA grounds.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985
William Tighe described Inchicarin in his 1802 Statistical Observations as "one of their [the Walses] principal residences was at Inchicaran in the valley opposite to Millinivat, where the foundations remain of an oblong court, and a square building; a large fosse without could be filled with water by a rapid stream from an adjoining glen.

Jerpoint Abbey         (Co. Kilkenny)
The church harbours some very fine sculptured tombs including those of Katerine Poher and Robert Walsh (died 1501). To Robert Walsh was ascribed the title of "Baron of Shancaher", or of Oldcourt. His parents, Edmund Walsh and Johanna le Botiller, were also buried at Jerpoint. On March 9, 1446, Robert's grandfather, Richard Walsh, made a grant to the Abbey of Jerpoint of his lands of Clone, in the barony of Kells, and Ballycheskin in Knocktopher, thereby enabling the Cisternian monks to build the tower of the Abbey.
Source: The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh by J.C. Walsh

Kilcraggan         (Ballytarsney parish, Kilkenny)
Not far from Waterford, Kilcraggan was another Walsh branch family residence. How long they had been at this place can be inferred from the fact that John Walsh, son of William, son of John, son of William, son of Adam, was one of the constables of the barony of Iverk in the year 1608.
Source: The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh by J.C. Walsh

Kilcreggan     (Ballytarsney parish, Kilkenny)
Cill creagain, church of the rocky land. Area 370 acres. There is a field called Croichtin in which Carrigan states the ancient church and churchyard stood, both long obliterated. Kilcraggan ruined castle belonged to the Walshes, Lords of the Mountain. Kilcraggan village is north of the road and avenue leading to Silversprings House. Other fields are Garrai Mhac Oda; Pairc an chrainn; and Tobar na hadhairce, well of the horn, but perhaps should be Tobat na deirce, well of the alms.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Kilgobbin     (Kilgobbin parish, Co. Dublin)
Kilgobbin Castle, a tall, narrow structure entirely devoid of bawn or outworks, which might be described as a fortified dwellinghouse rather than a castle. It originally belonged to the Walsh family, from whom it passed by forfeiture or otherwise, in the reign of Charles I, into possession of Sir Adam Loftus, of Rathfarnham.
A branch of the Walsh family of Carrickinines, the Harolds' comrades in the protection of the Pale, later on settled on the lands of Kilgobbin. To that family was doubtless due the erection of the castle. Amongst its successive occupants were, in 1482 Morris Walsh, in 1509 Pierce, son of Morris Walsh; in 1578 John Walsh, in 1599 Edmond Walsh, in 1615 Christopher Walsh, and in 1620 Patrick, alias Pierce Walsh, a son of John Walsh, in whose time a court was held by order of the Exchequer at Kilgobbin, and certain persons were found guilty of non-attendance by a jury composed of the Walshes and their neighbours.
Sources: 'The Neighbourhood of Dublin' by Weston St. John Joyce, and A History of the County Dublin by Francis Elrington Ball.

Kilmacoliver     (Tullahought parish, Kilkenny
In Tullahought, County Kilkenny, was the Castle of Kilmacoliver, the wood of the son of Oliver. "It stood on the north-east edge of a high rocky peak. The site was well chosen for an old feudal keep consisting of an acre of land rising to a considerable height with sides almost perpendicular, except on the south-east. This castle belonged to the Walshs, Lords of the Mountain, till 1374 when it passed on to the Ormond family. It was destroyed long ago, and even the tradition of its existence has almost died out."
Source: History of the Diocese of Ossory - Rev. Dr. Carrigan, 1905

Kilmoganny     (Kilmoganny parish, Kilkenny)
A Civil Parish in County Kilkenny in the Barony of Kells, 5 miles southwest of Knocktopher on the road from Kilkenny City to Carrick-on-Suir. During the parliamentary war a party of Cromwell's troops had a skirmish here with the Walsh party, of Castlehall, which they defeated, and seized the estate. There are remains of castellated residences of the Walsh family at Castlehill, Clone, and Kerehill [Currahill].
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland - Samuel Lewis (1837)

Kilree     (Kilree parish, Kilkenny)
Cill Ruidhche, St. Ruidhche's church. Area 413 acres. The church, in ruins, dedicated to St. Brigid, is recorded as dating from the 10th century on the Board of Works notice affixed to it. There are monuments dating back to the 14th century in the adjoining churchyard and one with symbols of the Passion on it. The Cloigteach or round tower standing at its original height at the church is a familiar landmark known as the Steeple. In a field adjoining, 60 yards west of the church stands a Celtic high cross with circle and interlace ornamentation stated to date back to the 9th century. Tobar Bride is on the northern boundary in Kells townland. All the setting is in a quiet, lonely district of very rich land. Tobar an rios is listed in Carrigan's notes but the location is not known. The Walshes lost this property to Cromwell and were transferred to Connaught in 1654. The present residence of the Fleming family is believed to be the old home of the Walshes. The original flagged kitchen floor there resounded well to a half-sets.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Knockmoylan     (County Kilkenny)
Cnoc Mhaoldubhain, or Maoldubhan's hill, covers an area of 1,512 acres in Kilkeasy parish and in Lismatigue parish of County Kilkenny. ... There is a Walshe castle site below the village ...
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Knocktopher Barony     (County Kilkenny)
Cnoc an Tochair, of which Knocktopher is the English phonetic spelling, means the hill of the causeway. This barony of 46,765 acres stretches from Stonyford village in the north to Rossinan civil parish in the south and from Jerpoint Church in the east to Aghaviller townland in the west. The northern half forms part of the fertile central plain and the southern portion is good upland arable land. The hill area around Lismatigue is the middle of Sleibhte an Bhreatnaigh, the Walsh Mountains, where the Anglo-Norman family settled and erected many castles.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Knocktopher Castle     (Knocktopher, County Kilkenny)
James, the noble Earl of Ormond built an abbey at Knocktopher in 1356, and he died in his castle of Knocktopher in 1382, 11 years before his succesors bought Kilkenny Castle. James may fairly be supposed to have built the Knocktopher Castle which was his pride. What we can infer from the lament is that Geoffrey Brenagh (aka Walsh), head of one of Ormond's warrior bands, and at the same time his most extensive tenant in Knocktopher barony, built it for him, sharing his pride in the achievement, and very probably holding it for him until the Powers (le Poer) came along, as favored family connections, as before long they did. (Source: The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh, J. C. Walsh, pp. 120)

Lismatigue     (Lismatigue parish, Kilkenny)
Lios Mac Thaidhg, Mac Teigue's fort. Only the outline of the foundation of the ancient church which Carrigan states belonged to the Priory of Kells prior to the Reformation now stands in the disused churchyard. The site is in Pairc an Teampaill and Lismatigue castle, known as caislean ban, and now only a site is in the Castle field. Local tradition holds that the Bard of the Walshe Mountains, referred to under Inchacarran townland, lived here at a time and composed the elegy of Oliver Grace of Courtown, Tullaroan, who died 1604...
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Little Sodbury Manor     (Gloucestershire, England)
Sir John Walshe at Little Sodbury Manor was a famous warrior who had been knighted as the king's champion at the coronation of Henry VIII. John and Lady Anne Walshe were the masters of Little Sodbury, the estate where William Tyndale, who later translated the Bible into English, worked for two years (circa 1521) after leaving Cambridge, probably as a tutor to their two young sons. The Manor was an important house - Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn stayed here in 1535. In 1556 a severe thunderstorm killed five of the six Walshe children when "a sulphurous globe" came in through an open door, passing out through the opposite window.
Source: Internet history for Little Sodbury

Old Connaught     (Old Connaught parish, County Dublin)
In the sixteenth century all the lands in the parish of Old Connaught came into the possession of the Walshes, excepting those of Ballyman. The Walshes of Shanganagh were in possession of the lands of Old Connaught and Cork, while the Walshes of Carrickmines occupied those of Phrompstown. Members of these families resided upon the various lands, and we find on Cork in 1566, William M'Shane Walsh and Edward Walsh, in 1590 Walter Walsh, and in 1599 Edmund Walsh, who died in that year, desiring to be buried at Rathmichael; and on Phrompstown, in 1609 Edmund Walsh, who died in that year, desiring to be buried at Tully.
Source: A History of the County Dublin by Francis Elrington Ball.

Oldcourt     (Templeorum parish, Kilkenny)
Oldcourt, in Templeorum parish of Kilkenny was a place called Shancahir, or the Old Stone Fort. "The Cahir occupied a fine position on the brow of the hill overlooking the valley of Glenbower. Tradition asserts that the Walshs erected a court, or castle, within the ancient cahir, and made it one of their earliest residences on the Walsh Mountains. The title, Baron of Shancahir, had its origin in the connection of the family with this place. Both cahir and court have disappeared. The ruined walls of the latter remained, to the height of a few feet, until about 1825. The site is marked by a circular depression 45 yards in diameter."
Source: History of the Diocese of Ossory - Rev. Dr. Carrigan, 1905

Oldcourt     (Fiddown parish, Kilkenny)
Seanchathair, an old stone fort. Area 529 acres. The fort or court is in a field between Glenbower stream and Templeorum. It belongs to the Walshes, and Carrigan states it was uprooted circa 1825. Fields here are Ban an phumpa, the pump bawn, and Paircin uisce.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Owning     (Owning parish, Kilkenny)
In the Barony of Iverk, County Kilkenny, Owning was another place in which a son of the main Kilkenny family of Walsh was set up for himself. Edmund Walsh, whose wife was Agnes Butler, was given four townlands by his parents in 1613. A fine monument in Owning church is all King William's friends left as souvenir of this auspicious beginning.
Source: The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh by J.C. Walsh

Owning     (Owning parish, Kilkenny)
Onang, as given in Hogan's Onom, area 797 acres. The ancient church, in ruins, is beside Owning House now a Sisters of Mercy convent. Owning holy well called Tobar na Muchthee according to Carrigan who states that there was a Lady's Well in "the Orchard." A pattern was held formerly here on the 5th of August. On Carriganog hill, i.e. Carriag na ngag, rock of the clefts, height of 755 ft. overlooking Owning village to the east is a huge monolith 13' 6" x 6' 9" x 1' 9" with four supports called Cloch Phuca. A few fields north of Owning village there ia another cromleac 9' x 7' x 2' called Cloch bhan supported by five upright stones. Moindeaga, i.e. Moin dige, bogland of the dyke, and Baile an chorcain, now known as Potstown, are subdivisions. A Mass hollow high up the slope of Moindeaga hill is still called Poll an Aifrinn. There is a rath north-east of the village. This district was a stronghold of the Walshes, Lords of the Mountains.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Rochestown     (Rathkieran parish, Kilkenny)
Baile an Roiste, Roche's homestead, area 239 acres. Rochestown castle long destroyed belonged to the Walshes; it stood in the eastern portion towards Mullinavat village.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Rossanarra Demesne     (Kilmoganny parish, Kilkenny)
Rossanarra House was built by Maurice Reade in 1825 in the old townland of Castlehale. His former residence was in Old Rossenarra and he changed the name here to Rossenarra Demesne thereby eliminating Castlehale as a townland. Castlehale castle in ruins to the ground level was for centuries the chief seat of the Walshes, Lords of the Mountains, the chief of the tribe being described as "the Eyese Breathnach," i.e. the oidhre or heir to the leadership. The castle built by Howel Walshe shortly after the Anglo-Norman Invasion was owned by this family until the Cromwellian Confiscations. The Walshe Mountains stretch across the mid-south county as hill country roughly from the Nore to the Suir rivers. King William and his army bivouacked in Old Rossenarra in their way from Kilkenny to Carrick-on-Suir in 1690. Rossanarra House and lands came into the possession of the Mac Enery family about 1880. Sir John Lavery, the celebrated portait painter and step-father of Mrs. John Mac Enery, spent the declining years of his life here.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Rossaneny     (Killamery parish, Kilkenny)
Ros an eanigh, wood of the marsh. Divided into Rossaneny Reade and Morris with a total area of 729 acres. The church, in ruins, and a disused churchyard are north of the cross-roads: Carraig na gcapall hil 725 ft., the highest point is on the southern border. There is a well called Tobar mhearachain, well of the thimble, according to Carrigan; Cluain is a field name here. It would appear that the Reades and Morrises were granted the lands of Rossaneny which belonged to the Walshes before the Cromwellian confiscations. These two surnames are also attached to Corragaun in Tullahought parish. Portion of Windgap village is in this townland. Windgap was made a distinct Catholic parish in 1826 comprising the Civil Parishes of Killamery, Tullahought and one-third of Kilmoganny.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Rossbercon     (Rossbercon parish, Kilkenny)
A monastery, dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, was founded here by the families of Grace and Walsh, where friar-preachers were first introduced in 1267. The ruins are extensive and picturesque, comprising the lofty tower of the church, resting on four pointed arches and ten windows, and the south wall of an aisle, containing five arches and ten windows.
Source: Topographical Dictionary of Ireland - S. Lewis, 1837

Scarawalsh     (A Barony of County Wexford)
Scarawalsh is in reality a compound of Irish and English words, namely Scairb and Walsh. The old Irish form was Scairbh an Breathnaic, that is Walsh's Shallow Ford --- the name Breathnac being applied to the Welsh settlers of that district. The Cambrian family of Breathnoch or Walsh first settled in Ossory: they long retained their Welsh names and customs. In 1857, the barony of Scarawalsh contained portions of the Poor Law Unions of Enniscorthy, Gorey and Shillelagh.
Sources: Loca Patriciana, p. 332; also Irish Penny Journal, p. 326; also General Alphabetic Index to the Townlands and Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland.

Shanganagh     (Rathmichael parish, County Dublin)
Situated on the very bank of the Loughlinstown river are the ruins of the ancient castle of Shanganagh, the ancestral home of the Walsh family, whose connection with the locality lasted over three centuries. A branch of the family of Walsh of Carrickmines had settled in the parish, and by degrees the Walshes supplanted the Lawless family. They appear first in 1447 at Shanganagh in the person of Edmund Walsh, to whom the seigniory of that place was leased in that year by the Vicars Choral of St. Patrick's Cathedral.
Sources: 'The Neighbourhood of Dublin' by Weston St. John Joyce, and A History of the County Dublin by Francis Elrington Ball.

Sheepstown     (Knocktopher parish, Kilkenny)
Baile na gcaorach, place of the sheep. Area 572 acres. The ancient church, in ruins, near the roadside was known as Teampall Bhaile na gcaorach and St. Muicin of Maighin was patron. Tobar a hinch (O) is a well. The site of Sheepstown castle which belonged to the Rothes until the 17th century is west of the road. This was Walshe property and there is a field called the Eishe, i.e. Oidhre, heir or successor, which was the title of the next-in-line as Lords of the mountains. Other fields are Cimini, commons, and Gort salach.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Shelsley-Walsh     (Worcestershire, England)
The Walshes, (from whom the hamlet takes its name) first appear in 1211-12 when John Walshe was holding half a fee in Shelsley. St. Andrews church nestles here under high wooded hills, surrounded by orchards and black and white cottages. In the corner of the Sanctuary is a rare wooden tomb to Sir Francis Walsh who died in 1596. The panels are painted with the Walsh Coat of Arms.
Source: Internet history for Shelsley-Walsh

Templeorum     (Fiddown parish, Kilkenny)
Teampall Odhrain, Odhran's Church. Area 235 acres. There are few records of this name. Odhran was a christian name of the Walshes of the Mountain from which it may have been derived. The ancient church, in ruins, is in the churchyard with many monuments. Templeorum castle site is at the village and the church field is the part of the old graveyard through which the road to the present chapel was cut. A pattern was held formerly on the Sunday after October 11th.
Source: Place Names of County Kilkenny - E.O. Kelly, KAS 1985

Tyntes Castle     (Youghal, County Cork, Ireland)
Tyntes Castle, a 15th century fortified castle was built on the Main Street at Youghal by the Walshes, a family of Cambro-Norman descent. It is unusual to have a fortified dwelling inside the town walls. It is thought to have been a store for valuable goods, with living quarters overhead. After being lost by the Walshs during the Desmond rebellions of 1584, the tower passed into the ownership of Sir Robert Tynte in the 17th century. Tynte married the widow of the famous poet Spencer.

Walsh is a town in Baca County, Colorado, USA.

Walsh County     (North Dakota, USA)
Walsh County, North Dakota was organized 30 August 1881, and named for George H. Walsh, a newspaperman and politician in Grand Forks, ND. Walshville Township and Walsh Centre Township form part of Walsh County. Walsh County NDGenWeb. Walshville and Walsh Centre are also townships in Walsh County, North Dakota, USA.

Walshestown Castle     (Strangford, County Down, Ireland)
A small castle within a few miles of the village of Strangford, well preserved and beautifully sited.

Walshtown Township     (South Dakota, USA)
Located in Yankton County, South Dakota, Walshtown Township was the location of an Irish community known as Walshtown, established in the 1870's. A cemetery listing is on-line at Walshtown Cemetery.

Walshville Township in Montgomery County, Illinois, USA. Walshville is also a village in in Montgomery County, Illinois, USA.

From the 1851 Alphabetic List to the Townlands, Towns,... of Ireland
Townland        Acres   County       Barony           Parish       PLU(1857)
Clonwalsh        263    Tipperary SR Iffa & Offa East Kilgrant     Clonmel      
Scarawalsh       496    Wexford      Scarawalsh       Ballycarney  Enniscorthy
Walsheslough     170    Wexford      Forth            Rosslare     Wexford
Walshetown       303    Cork, E.R.   East Muskerry    Athnowen     Cork
Ballybranagh     218    Cork, E.R.   Imokilly         Cloyne       Middleton
Walshestown       438    Cork, E.R.   Orrery & Kilmore Churchtown   Mallow                                                    
Walshestown       421    Down         Lecale Lower     Saul         Downpatrick                                                    
Ballybrannagh    325    Down         Lecale Lower     Ballee       Downpatrick 
Ballybrannagh    346    Down         Lecale Lower     Ballee       Downpatrick 
Walshestown       427    Dublin       Balrothery East  Lusk         Balrothery                                    
Ballybrannagh    143    Kerry        Trughanacmy      Ballymaelligott Tralee
Walshestown       667    Kildare      Connell          Greatconnell Naas                               
Walshestown       106    Kildare      Naas North       Rathmore  Naas                                  
Walshestown       160    Kildare      Naas South       Tipperkevin  Naas                                  
Walshestown       230    Limerick     Glenquin         Mahoonagh    Newcastle                             
Walshestown       217    Louth        Ferrard          Rathdrumin   Drogheda                          
Walshestown        75    Wexford      Forth            Ishartmon    Wexford                     
Walshestown       146    Wexford      Forth            Rathmacnee   Wexford                             
Walshestown North 327    Westmeath    Moyashel &       Mullingar    Mullingar           
Walshestown South 898    Westmeath    Moyashel &       Mullingar    Mullingar           
Walshgraigue      87    Wexford      Bargy            Ambrosetown  Wexford                             
Walshisland      700    King's Co.   Upper Philipstown Geashill    Edenderry
Walshpark        809    Tipperary NR Lower Ormond     Dorrha       Parsonstown
Walshpool        311    Mayo         Carra            Drum         Castlebar         
Walshsbog        474    Tipperary NR Middlethird      Kiltinan     Clonmel
Walsh's Court           Dublin City  Dublin Borough   St. Luke's   Dublin S.  
Walsh's Row             Dublin City  Dublin Borough   St. Mary     Dublin N.
Walsh's Island     2    Galway       Clare            Annaghdown   Galway  
Walsh's Island     3    Galway       Clare            Killeany     Tuam
Walshtown or 
 Ballynabranagh  465    Carlow       St Mullins Lower St. Mullins  New Ross 
Walshtown        260    Galway       Longford         Killoran     Ballinasloe
Walshtown Beg    918    Cork, E.R.   Barrymore     Templenacarriga Middleton
Walshtownmore     52    Cork, E.R.   Barrymore       Ballyspillane Middleton
Walshtown MoreEast 290  Cork, E.R.   Barrymore     Templenacarriga Middleton
Walshtown MoreWest 567  Cork, E.R.   Barrymore     Templenacarriga Middleton
WALSHTOWN (town)   ---  Cork, E.R.   Barrymore     Templenacarriga Middleton

Scarawalsh Barony - 106,659 acres - in County Wexford.

Further Reference:
Confiscations of Walsh Property - 1653
Civil Parish Map of County Kilkenny
Townland List of County Kilkenny

Share your Historic Walsh Place Names, send information to this Contact

Placenames of the Family of Walsh

Friday, 07-Jul-2006 23:50:21 MDT