Hugh Long
Biography: Hugh Long
from Scott's files
 

(Long: Hugh2, John1)

 

Maj. Hugh Long

fr. The History of Wyandot County Ohio
Leggett, Conaway & Co. (1884) - pg. 873

 

  MAJ. HUGH LONG, one of the oldest settlers of the township (Marseilles Township in Wyandot Co.), was born in West Liberty, Va., April 12, 1794. He is the son of John and Catharine (Fry) Long, natives of Pennsylvania. His great-grandmother, Nancy Howard, was kidnapped in London, England, brought to this country and sold for her passage. His grandfather Fry was a soldier in the Revolutionary war three years. His father was reared a farmer, and at the age of twenty-one, went to Pittsburgh and learned the tanner's trade, Gen. Wayne's army being then stationed there. He was married there and moved to St. Clairsville, Belmont County, Ohio, and became the father of ten children. He died in his sixty-fourth yer, and his wife in her seventy-fifth. Maj. Long, the subject of this sketch, attended the common schools of his time and enlisted in a Light Horse Cavalry Company in the war of 1812, but, with other volunteers, was not wanted, and was exempted from entering the service. He learned the tanner's trade of his father, and was engaged with him in the trade till twenty-five years of age. About that time he married Miss Catharine Trucks, four children resulting therefrom, two living - Mary and Matilda; the deceased are Catharine and Joseph. The mother of these died in 1832, aged twenty-four years. Mr. Long was married again the same year to Miss Sarah Hinkle, who by him became the mother of fourteen children, six surviving to the present time (1884) - Hugh H., John, Hiram, Orrin, Vincent and Hattie, wife of Lawson H. DeLander. Mr. Long came to Marion County, in 1832, settling in Marseilles, then Burlington; the Fitzgeralds, Youngs and Merrimans being the only families in the township; our subject now being the oldest and only surviving resident of those early days. He built his shop and began his trade as tanner in 1834, and continued in this occupation till 1876. He is the owner of thirty acres of land within the corporation and has been largely interested in building up the village. He has held every office in the township excest that of the Justice of the Peace, and that he refused. He obtained the title of "Major" through Charles Merriman. For his eighteen days' service in the war of 1812, he receives a pension of $8 per month; also received a title to 160 acres of land, which afterward sold for $140. He was formerly a Whig, but laterly a Republican. His wife died February 9, 1882, aged seventy-three; he is a member of the Methodist-Episcopal Church and highly esteemed in his old age.

Notes: Hugh Long died 11 Feb 1884, the year the above book was published.

This article is probably mistaken in referring to Nancy Howard as Hugh's "great-grandmother". His "grandfather Fry" who served in the Revolutionary War was, according to Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) records, Michael Fry, and he married Nancy Howard - so Nancy was actually Hugh's grandmother. According to Hugh's daughter Martha A. (Long) DeLauder, in a newspaper article about her induction into the DAR (newspaper named Daily Star, though I don't know the date or city - possibly Marion OH), Nancy Howard's original name was:

"Elizabeth Berry, who resided in London, England. When but fourteen years of age she was stolen from her parents and placed on board a vessel and brought to America, where she was sold for sum of money to a man named Samuel Howard in Philadelphia. Howard seemed pleased with the young girl's appearance and at once adopted her, making her a member of his family."

Mini-biographies of Hugh Long's grandson Port H. Henderson and great grandson Charles LeRoy Henderson are also in these Documents pages.


08 May 2001

Many thanks to Diane Downard for connecting Hugh Long to Michael Fry for me and sending a photocopy of the Daily Star article quoted above.