Dumfries-Galloway Scots in America

Alphabetical by principle name

BISHOP, MARY AGNES DALRYMPLE (Mrs. Frederick Herbert Bishop), daughter of John and Frances Ann (Hewlit) Dalrymple, was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, August 12, 1857. Her grandfather, Samuel Dalrymple, married his first cousin, Anges Dalrymple, both of the Dalrymples of Lochinch, Stranraer, Wigtonshire, Scotland, a family whose head is the Earl of Stair. Her mother, Frances Ann Hewitt, was the daughter of Eli and Mary (Harwood) Hewitt, and a descendant of Peregrine White, son of William and Susan White, the Mayflower Pilgrims. Mrs. Bishop was instructed by private tutors. Being an only child, she and her mother, who was still a young woman, became real comrades, and were constantly together. She was unusually precocious, and had learned to read when only four years old. Her talent for singing also developed early, and she was in constant demand as an entertainer. In 1865, she entered the graded school at Grafton, Massachusetts, and on leaving the high school in 1875 was the first girl to complete the classical course. Although offered a scholarship at Wesleyan University, she decided to enter at once her chosen profession as a teacher. She is an accomplished linguist, and throughout her life has continued to study languages with various teachers.
BROWN, Frank, governor of Maryland, was born at "Brown's Inheritance," Carroll county, Md.; son of Stephan Thomas Cockey Brown. His first American ancestor, Abel Brown, came from Dumfries, Scotland, and settled near Annapolis, Md. Several of his sons served in the revolutionary war and some of his grandsons in the, war of 1812-'14. Frank Brown was educated at Springfield academy, and at private academies in Baltimore city. In 1870 he was appointed to a clerkship in one of the state tobacco warehouses, a position which he held for the ensuing six years. In 1875 he was elected a member of the house of delegates from Carroll county, and was re-elected in 1877. He inherited large estates from his father and his uncle, George Patterson, to the care of which he devoted much of his time. He was president of the Maryland state agricultural and mechanical association from 1880 to 1892. He took a prominent part in the presidential campaign of 1884, and in 1886 was appointed by President Cleveland postmaster of Baltimore city; during his term in this office he was instrumental in initiating various postal reforms. In the fall of 1887 he was a candidate for gubernatorial honors, and failed of nomination. In 1891 he was the unanimous nominee of the Democratic convention, and was elected governor by a majority of thirty thousand votes. In addition to his duties as the chief executive of the state, he was ex-officio president of the board of trustees of the Maryland agricul-rural college; president of the board of trustees of the house of correction; of the board of trustees of St. John's college, Annapolis, Md.; president of the state board of education, and of the board of public works, 1892-96.
CLARKE, Robert, publisher, was born in Annan, Scotland, May 1, 1829. His parents immigrated to America in 1840, and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was educated at Cincinnati college and at Woodward college. He served as bookkeeper with several firms and in 1856 purchased the interest of Tobias Lyon in the book-selling firm of Lyon & Patterson, and the following year the interest of Walter G. Patterson. In 1858, with Roderick D. Burney and John W. Dale he purchased the business of Henry W. Derby & Co., law book publishers, and continued the business of law publishing and of general publishing and bookselling. In 1894 their business was incorporated under the name of "The Robert Clarke Company," of which he was president till 1898, when he retired from active participation in the business. He was elected a member of various historical and scientific societies. He edited Col. George Rogers Clark's Campaign in the Illinois in 1778 (1869); James McBride's Pioneer Biographies (1869); Capt. James Smith's Captivity with the Indians (1870); and is the author of The Prehistoric Remains which were found on the site of the City of Cincinnati, with a vindication of the Cincinnati Tablet (1876). He died in Glendale, Ohio, Aug. 26, 1899.
JAMES DIXON, the founder of the family in America, and the great-grandfather of Huston Dixon, was born in Dumfries, Scotland, in 1820. He came to America with his wife and infant son, and settled in Galt, Ontario, Canada. He was a manof extensive learning and studious habits, and followed the occupation of teaching with a satisfactory amount of success. He was the founder of the public school system in that section of Canada. His religious belief was that of the Presbyterian church. He had married, in Scotland, Margaret Douglas, also a native of Dumfries, Scotland, and as above stated, they came to America together. James Dixon, son of James and Margaret (Douglas) Dixon, was born in Dumfries, Scotland, in 1822 and came to America with his parents when but a few months old. His life was spent in Canada, where he married Martha Goudie, who was born in Paisley, Scotland. John Dixon, son of James and Martha (Goudie) Dixon, was born in Galt, Ontario, Canada, January 25, 1847. He received the advantage of an excellent education, attending first the schools in Galt, and then the Princeton TheologicalSeminary, where he was graduated with the class of 1873. His calling was that of a minister of the Presbyterian church, and he was well beloved by the members of his various congregations. He was formerly pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Trenton, New Jersey, but is now associate secretary ofthe Board of Home Missions of the Presbyterian church in the United States of America. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party. He married Jane Whiteman Huston, born at Mercersburg, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, June15, 1847, daughter of Cephas Beall and Nancy (Irwin) Huston. Huston Dixon, son of John and Jane Whiteman (Huston) Dixon, was born at Providence, Rhode Island, July 30, 1874. Like all his ancestors he was the recipient of an excellent education. He was a student at the State Model school,Trenton, New Jersey, and then entered Princeton University, from which he graduated in the class of 1895. He chose the profession of law as his life's work, and commenced the study of it under the preceptorship of Hon. William M. Lanning. Here he obtained a thorough and practical insight into the profession, and later established himself as counselor at law at No. 27 East State street, Trenton, New Jersey. In spite of the manifold demands upon his time entailed by his profession, Mr. Dixon has found time to give active attentionand help to the interests and enterprises of the city in which he is a resident. He is secretary of the board of trustees of the Lawrenceville school. His political faith is Republican, and he has been clerk of the Mercer county grand jury, which place he resigned to accept the position of counsel to the county of Mercer. He is also a member of the common council of Trenton from the second ward. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Trenton, and also of the following associations: The Princeton Club, Trenton, New Jersey; the Trenton Country Club; and the Republican Club. Mr. Dixon is a man of much natural and acquired force of character and executive ability, and his ideas are progressive and practical. Mr. Dixon married, April 14, 1904, at Trenton, Marguerite Alexander Lee, daughter of Benjamin Fisler and Annabella Willson (Townsend) Lee. Benjamin F. Lee was clerk of New Jersey supreme court from 1872 to 1895, and is a grandson of Francis Lee, of Carrickfergus, Ireland, who was a soldier during the American revolution. Annabella Willson Townsend is descended from John Townsend, a planter in the county of Cape May, and later high sheriff. Mr. and Mrs. Huston Dixon have two children: Annabel Lee, born at Trenton, New Jersey, April 7, 1905. Marion Ross, born at Trenton, New Jersey, July 14, 1906.
This biography appeared in the Iberia, Miller Co., Missouri newspaper by Peggy Smith Hake in her Ancestors column. Squire JOHN FERGUSON was one of the most colorful figures in Iberia's past history. He lived to be one hundred and one years and was one of the most respected men of the county.

John Ferguson was born on Christmas Day in 1838 in the small village (or borough) of Dumfries, Scotland. As a young bout, age 8, he started working as n apprentice to a local village shoemaker. He did not enjoy this type of work at all, so he quit and became an apprentice to a painter. He worked as the painter's apprentice for the next few years until he reached the age of 14 years learning this skillful trade. When he was 6 years old, he started to school. These Scottish children were taught from the Bible and hardly nothing else. At that time in histor, the churchesand the schools of Scotland were under the control of the government. At the age of 14, his father decided to bring his family to America so they left Dumfries in 1852 going overland to Liverpool, England and departing from Liverpool in September of 1852. William Ferguson and his wife, Isabella Hunter Ferguson; son John; and daughters Martha and Elizabeth began their long sea journey across the Atlantic. Unfortunately John's father did not live to see the shores of his new homeland of America. He died on board ship and was buried with the usual precedure at sea. He was sewn up in a canvas bag with a large piece of lead at his feet; lowered over the side of the ship and after a brief funeral service was lowered into his watery grave. Two other people also died on this same trip before the ship harbored in New Orleans in October of 1852. The name of the ship they made their journey across the Atlantic in was called "Colonel Cutts." Elizabeth Hunter Ferguson and her three children did not stay in New Orleans very long. They boarded a boat called "The Soverign of Pittsburg" and wnet up the Mississppi arriving in St. Louis in the latter part of October 1852. Isabella had a sister and brother-in-law the William Dunlop's living in St. Louis at that time, so they went to the Dunlops and maade their home with them for a short while. William Dunlops was a Mississippi river boatman and he hired John to work for him on the river. He worked there for the next nine years until the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861. John Ferguson experianced some exciting times on the Mississippi river and was great story teller. Several incidents happened in his young life that would make a great plot for an adventure story! During the war, he was a witness to most of the Camp Jackson skirmish which took place near St. Louis. He said one time in an interview that "if it had not been for the loyal German regiments. I believe St. Louis would have been captured by General Jackson and his Confederate forces."

John Ferguson drifted into Miller County in September of 1861 but first stopped in Maries County where he had relatives living. I do not know if these were his father or his mothers's relatives. He moved on, westward, to Miller County and began workingon a farm about 6 miles west of Iberia. In June of 1862, John married Miss Dorcas D. Shelton, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Shelton who were natives of McMinn County, Tennessee. Dorcas' mother, Elizabeth Shelton, was a sister to William R. (Rankin) Wright who was an officer of the Confedrate troops in Miller County during the war years and he resided in th Pleasant Hill community. John and Dorcas were married by Rev. Abraham Castleman who was a captain of the Confederate troops. In order to get Rev. Castleman to come and marry them John had to ride 15 or 20 miles to get him and then had to accompany him back home because he was afraid of the "buswhackers" roaming the area who were seeking his life. (John's mother Isabella Hunter Ferguson, came to Miller County to live prior to 1880. She was living near the Madden communtiy in the census of 1880 and was listed as a seamstress. A descendant in Springfield, Mo., believes that Isabella is buried at the Old Madden Cemetery)

During the war John join Colonel McClurg's Osage Regiment at Linn Creek and later he enlisted in the regular service in Co. M., 3rd Mo Cav. Volunteers where he served with the Union army until the close of the war. It is interesting to note that his wife's relatives were from the South and her uncle, William R. Wright was a Lt. in the Confederate Army. This is typcial of families torn apart during this terrible time of American history. Squire John Ferguson and Dorcas Shelton Ferguson were the parents of fourteen children, two of them dying in infancy. The living children were William,Charles, Fred, George, Edward, Jack, Harry, Frank, Laura,Belle, Elizabeth and Mattie (Martha). After his discharge in New Orleans in 1865 he and his family made Miller County their permanent home. Over the next 74 years, John Ferguson was prominent man in the Iberia area. For many years he was Post Commander of the Miles Carroll Post 111 of the Grand Army of the Republic in Iberia and was instrumental in keeping the post in active service. He very seldom ever missed one of the encampments both state and national and over the years he filled most all stations in that highly honored organization. On May 16, 1928, he was elected Department Commander of the G.A.R. for the State of Missouri at its 47th annual encampment held in Springfield. John was active in the religious, political and public affairs of Miller county and was a Justice of the Peace at Iberia for over 50 years.

So in 1939, Iberia lost one of her most remarkabel and unforgettable citizens....Captain John Ferguson also called "Squire" John Ferguson at the age of 101 years! There are many folks today who remember him so vividly and can still reminiscence of those long ago days he could be seen on the streets of Iberia with his snow white hair and long, white beard much like a patriarch of old.
Contributed by; TSTOIKES@aol.com
GRACIE, ARCHIBALD, b. in Dumfries, Scot., in 1756, received a mercantile education of a high order in Liverpool, came to America soon after the revolution; m. a sister of Moses Rogers of N.Y., and settled in Va., where in 1793 he was ranked among the first merchants for credit and capital; he removed to N.Y., engaged extensively in commerce, and his transactions amounted to millions; his opinion was sought with confidence, and his reputation for honor and credit stood high; the restrictive system and the war swept away his fortune. He was made pres. of an insurance co., and was again ruined; he d. April 11, 1829, in his 74th year. (Hunt's Am. Merchants, i, 467.)
GREIG, John, a Representative from New York; born in Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, August, 6, 1779; attended the Edinburgh High School; immigrated to the United States in 1797; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1804 and commenced practice in Canandaigua, N.Y.; president of the Ontario Bank 1820-1856; regent of the University of the State of New York from 1825 and vice chancellor of the same institution from 1845, serving in both capacities until his death; one of the founders of the Ontario Female Seminary; elected as a Whig to the Twenty-seventh Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Francis Granger and served from May 21, 1841, to September 25, 1841, when he resigned; president of the Ontario Agricultural Society; died in Canandaigua, N.Y., April 9, 1858; interment in West Avenue Cemetery.
HARKNESS, William, astronomer, was born in Ecclefechan,Scotland, Dec. 17, 1837; son of the Rev. James and Jane (Weild) Harkness; and grandson of William and Cecilia (Riddell) Harkness and of David and Margaret (Gass) Weild. His father was a physician, a graduate of the University of Edinburgh, a Presbyterian clergyman in Scotland, 1832-39, and pastor of churches in New York city, Fishkill Landing and Rochester, N.Y., 1839-59, and in Jersey City, N.J., 1862-78. The son studied at Lafayette college, 1854-55, and was graduated from the University of Rochester in 1858. He was graduated in medicine in 1862 and was appointed aide at the U.S. naval observatory, Washington. D.C., in August, 1862. He served as a volunteer surgeon in the second battle of Bull Run, and in the repulse of Early in his attack on the national capital in July, 1864, he again served with the army. He was professor of mathematics in the U.S. navy with the relative rank of lieutenant-commander from August, 1863, and continued at the naval observatory. In 1865-66, he made a cruise on the U.S. monitor Monadnock to study the action of her compasses, and to observe terrestrial magnetism, visiting during the cruise the principal ports of South America, and his results were published by the Smithsonian institution in 1873. He observed the total eclipse of the sun, Aug. 7, 1869, at Des Moines, Iowa, and there discovered the 1474 line of the solar corona. He also observed the total solar eclipse of December, 1870, in Sicily, and that of August, 1878, in Creston, Wyoming. In 1874 he visited Hobart Town, Tasmania, to observe the transit of Venus, and afterward completed the tour of the world, returning to the United States in 1875. He was promoted to the relative rank of commander in 1872 and captain, April, 1817, 1878. He was appointed a member of the U.S. transit of Venus commission in 1871, and finally became its executive officer, fitting out all the expeditions of 1882 to various parts of the world. He designed most of the instruments used by the transit of Venus expeditions, including the comparator for measuring the astronomical photographs obtained, a duplicate of which was subsequently made for the Lick observatory. After the transit of December, 1874, the problem of devising an accurate method of measuring the photographs obtained by the various United States parties was assigned to him, and he solved it in a perfectly satisfactory manner, although the difficulties involved were so great that the most eminent astronomers of England and Germany failed to obtain any useful results from the photographs taken by their parties. All the observations of the transit of December, l882, made under the direction of the United States commission were entrusted to Professor Harkness for reduction, and with the aid of a small corps of assistants he completed that work in a little more than six years. From 1891 until December, 1894, he was occupied in the new Naval observatory, designing and mounting its instruments and apparatus, and in establishing a suitable system of routine observing. On Oct.. 21, 1892, he was appointed chief astronomical assistant to the superintendent of the Naval observatory, and on Sept. 21. 1894, he was appointed astronomical director of the U.S. Naval observatory. In addition to the [p.87] astronominal directorship, he was appointed director of the Nautical Almanac on June 30, 1897, and both of these offices he held until his detachment from all duty on Dec. 15, 1899, preliminary to his retirement for age on Dec. 17, 1899, when he was promoted to the rank of rear-admiral. Professor Harkness was given the degree of A.M. by Lafayette college in 1865, and LL.D. by the University of Rochester in 1874. He wrote many scientific papers, was a member of numerous scientific societies, and president of the American association for the advancement of science in 1893. He died in Jersey City, N.J., Feb. 28, 1903.
JOHNSTON, Joseph Eggleston, soldier, was born at "Cherry Grove," Prince Edward county, Va., Feb. 3, 1807; eighth son of Lieut. Peter and Mary (Wood) Johnston, and grandson of Peter and Martha (Butler) Rogers Johnstone and of Col. Valentine and Lucy (Henry) Wood, of Goochland county. His grandfather, Peter Johnstone, was a native of Annan, Scotland, and emigrated from Edinburgh in 1727, settling at Osborne's Landing, on the James river, Va., where he was a merchant. He was married, March 19, 1761, to Martha Rogers, daughter of John Butler, a merchant on the Appomattox below Petersburg. In 1765 they removed from Osborne's Landing to "Cherry Grove," an estate near Farmville, Prince Edward county. He was a member of the established church, but when the presbytery of Hanover proposed building a college in Prince Edward he gave one hundred acres of land on which Prince Edward academy was erected in 1775, and in 1777 the name was changed to Hampton-Sidney college. Their eldest son, Peter, the father of Joseph Eggleston, was born at Osborne's Landing, Jan. 6, 1763, and three other sons at "Cherry Grove," and they were educated at Hampden-Sidney. Peter ran away from college and enlisted in the legion of "Light-Horse Harry" Lee in 1780, and served through the remainder of the war of the Revolution, gaining the rank of lieutenant and becoming a favorite of Colonel Lee, although only a lad of eighteen. He afterward studied law and was a member of the committee that reported the Virginia resolutions of 1798-99. In 1788 he was married to Mary, daughter of Valentine and Lucy (Henry) Wood, of Goochland county, and a niece of Patrick Henry. Peter and Mary Johnston resided at "Cherry Grove," and here were born to them John, the father of Senator John W. Johnston; Peter, a lawyer in southwestern Virginia; Charles Clement, a representative from southwestern Virginia in the 22d congress, 1831-33; Beverly Randolph, a lawyer; Edward W., editor of the National lntelligencer; Algernon Sidney, author of "Memoirs of a Nullifier" and Joseph Eggleston, named for his father's friend and his captain in Lee's legion. In 1811 Lieut. Peter, who was judge of the general court of Virginia, removed to Panecillo, near Abingdon, Va., then a new settlement in the wilderness. In these surroundings, Joseph was brought up, receiving his preparatory education from his parents, both [p.114] of whom were competent instructors. He attended the Abingdon academy, an excellent classical school, and in 1825, through the influence of Senator Barbour, he was appointed to the U.S. Military academy, entering with a class of one hundred and five, in which were Robert E. Lee and seven other Virginians. He was graduated in 1829, thirteenth in the class of forty-six graduates, and was the only Virginian, besides Lee, to graduate, Lee standing second, with Charles Mason of New York first in the class. Johnston was assigned to the 4th artillery as 2d lieutenant; was in garrison at New York and Fort Monroe, 1829-32; served in the Black Hawk war under Scott, 1832; on duty in Charleston, S.C., during the nullification troubles, 1832-33: at Fort Monroe and Fort Macon, 1833-36; and on the staff of General Scott, in Florida, 1836-37. He resigned from the army, May 31, 1837, and worked as a civil and military engineer under the government. He again offered his services to the government in the army and was assigned as topographical engineer in the Powell expedition to Florida, when, in the fight of Jan. 15, 1838, he barely escaped from the Indians with his life, being twice wounded in the forehead. Lieutenant Powell attributed the escape of his command to the bravery of Lieutenant Johnston. For this action he was brevetted captain and promoted first lieutenant in the topographical engineers, July 7, 1838, which restored him to the rank he had held when he resigned from the army in 1837. He was engaged in topographical duties in Texas and on the Great Lakes, and was with General Worth in Florida fighting the Seminoles, 1849-43. He was on the Canada boundary survey, 1845-46. On July 10, 1845, he was married to Lydia, daughter of the Hon. Louis McLane and a sister of Coy. Robert McLane of Maryland. They had no children and his wife died Feb. 22, 1887. He was commissioned captain of topographical engineers, Sept. 21, 1846, and at once sought to be assigned to General Scott's army of invasion soon to start for Vera Cruz en route for the City of Mexico. Scott readily accepted his services and he took part in the siege and capture of Vera Cruz, March 27, 1847. On April 9, 1847, he was appointed lieutenant-colonel of voltigeurs, a regiment of regulars, in Cadwalader's brigade, Pillow's division. He also continued his duties as topographical engineer. On April 11, 1847, he led the advance of Twiggs's division at the pass of Cerro Gordo and was twice wounded while reconnoitring before the Mexican works. His action gained for him the brevets of major and colonel in the regular army. His wounds prevented his taking part in the battle of Cerro Gordo, April 17, 1847. At Contreras he again distinguished himself, and at Churubusco his favorite nephew, Lieut. J. Preston Johnstone, who commanded a gun in Magruder's battery, lost his life. The information of his death was conveyed by Capt. R.E. Lee to Colonel Johnston, while he was standing on the captured intrenchments and the news prostrated the victorious leader. At Churubusco the voltigeurs were held in reserve. At Molino del Rey they supported Duncan's battery, and in Worth's report of the battle Johnston's name is mentioned with other officers of Cadwalader's brigade. The voltigeurs lost 98 of their 341 men. At Chapultepec, Pillow was wounded and Cadwalader commanded the division and led it up the hill to the castle, the voltigeurs were prominent in the assault and their standard was the first planted on the ramparts from which the Mexicans were driven. Colonel Andrews led the left wing and Lieutenant-Colonel Johnston the right and the latter received three slight wounds which did not prevent his leading his men. He was brevetted lieutenant-colonel "for gallant and meritorious conduct" in the battle of Chapultepec, to date from Sept. 13, 1847. After the fall of the City of Mexico he was in charge of expeditions to carry supplies front the coast, and in the summer of 1848, upon the mustering out of his regiment, congress passed a special act, approved, July 19, 1848, reinstating him as captain of topographical engineers, from Sept. 21, 1846. He engaged in topographical service in Texas, and on the improvements of the western rivers, and in 1855 he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel in Col. E. V. Sumner's regiment of cavalry, served on frontier duty, and in 1858, was acting inspector-general of the Utah expedition. Upon the death of Quartermaster-General Jesup, in the summer of 1860, the war department requested Scott to name the officer best fitted for the office. Scott named four: Joseph E. Johnston, Robert E. Lee, Albert Sidney Johnston and Charles S. Smith, and suggested that the appointment be contested for. It was finally settled by the appointment of Joseph E. Johnston, who was commissioned brigadier-general, June 28, 1860. He remained in Washington attending to his duties as quartermaster-general until the outbreak of the civil war, when he resigned his commission in the army, April 22, 1861, and left for Richmond, where he reported to Governor Letchef, who at once commissioned him major-general in the state service. He cooperated with Robert E. Lee in organizing and equipping the Virginia levies. In the meantime the state of Virginia had turned the conduct of military affairs over to the Southern Confederacy and the Confederate congress had passed an act authorizing the appointment of five brigadier-generals. Johnston and Lee were two of the appointees and both accepted. The nominations [p.115] were confirmed by the provisional Confederate senate, May 13, 1861. Johnston was assigned to the command of troops near Harper's Ferry, where he arrived, May 23, 1861, and found Col. Thomas J. Jackson in command. He superseded Colonel Jackson and at once began the work of organization on a much larger scale than had been attempted by Jackson. He brigaded his troops and assigned Colonel Jackson to the command of the Virginia brigade. He withdrew to Winchester, June 15, 1861, and upon his arrival there was ceaseless in his labors to improve the efficiency of his army. He left Winchester for Manassas, July 18, 1861, and arrived there, July 20, 1861, with part of his command. Although ranking officer, his late, arrival and ignorance of the topography of the region made him dependent on General Beauregard for the necessary information. Fearing the arrival of General Patterson, both generals, after a long discussion, decided that the offensive should be assumed before reinforcements could arrive to their opponents. The Federal movement was supposed to have been planned against the Confederate right for the purpose of seizing Manassas Junction, Beauregard's base of supply. Accordingly orders were issued strengthening the right on July 21, 1861. McDowell also decided to advance and attack Beauregard, not knowing of the arrival of Johnston. The attack was made on the weakened left of the Confederate forces, with disastrous results. After two hours' stubborn right, McDowell won the first advantage, and while General Bee was attempting to rally his shattered command, Johnston and Beauregard arrived on the field accompanied by their color-bearers, and by their presence sustained the troops until reinforcements arrived under Cash, Kershaw, Preston and E. Kirby Smith, and subsequently, upon the arrival of Early, McDowell gave up the contest and abandoned the field in utter rout. The Confederate government passed "resolutions of thanks to Generals Joseph E. Jobnston and Gustave T. Beauregard and the officers and troops under their command at the battle of Manassas." Up to this time the relations between President Davis and General Johnston had been most intimate. Upon the reorganization of the army after the battle the President ranked Johnston fourth instead of first in the list of generals. Johnston, in a letter dated Sept. 12, 1861, protested against the action of the President, and this led to an estrangement. Johnston remained in command of the Army of Northern Virginia and prepared to go into winter quarters. The Federal army crossed the Potomac, intending to attack the Confederate forces at Leesburg, but met with defeat at Edwards Ferry and Ball's Bluff, Oct. 21, 1861. Early in April, 1862, Johnston was ordered to oppose McClellan at Yorktown and the departments of Norfolk and of the Peninsula were added to his command. McClellan laid siege, and on May 3, 1862, was ready to open his batteries and pour a deadly fire into the town. Johnston, however, witbdrew his troops in the night and concentrated at Williamsburg, May 4, 1862. The battle of Williamsburg opened May 5, and resulted in the retreat of the Confederates. On May 31, 1862, Johnston was reinforced by Huger's division of three brigades and attacked McClellan at Seven Pines. About the close of the fight he was wounded in the shoulder, and was soon after unhorsed by a heavy fragment of shell, which struck his breast. He was carried from the field to Richmond, and the command of the army devolved on Gen. Gustavus W. Smith. Upon his return to duty in November, 1862, he was deprived of his old command and assigned to the command of the armies in the southwest, Nov. 24, 1862, with headquarters at Chattanooga, Tenn. He reported at Chattanooga, Dec. 4, 1862, and assumed command of the armies commanded respectively by Generals Bragg, Pemberton and E. Kirby Smith. The Federal forces separated Bragg's army at Jackson, Pemberton's forces holding Vicksburg while Holmes was at Little Rock, Ark., with 50,000 men, but not under the control of Johnston. An attack by Grant was expected, but Van Dorn reached the Federal rear and destroyed their supplies at Holly Springs, causing an expeditious retreat. While the detachment under Bragg was advancing to assist Pemberton in repelling Grant, Rosecrans advanced on Bragg, and a battle took place at Murfreesboro on Stone's River, Dec. 31, 1862, and Jan. 1 and 2, 1863. On the first day the Confederates succeeded in defeating the Federal right, and on the second and third days they held their ground, although a heavy Confederate loss was sustained; but Bragg, fearing that Rosecrans was receiving reinforcements, withdrew behind Duck river to Manchester, Tullahoma and Shelbyville. Bragg's force was greatly weakened by the withdrawal of troops by order of the President, who was on a visit of inspection in Mississippi, for the purpose of strengthening Pemberton's army, in spite of Johnston's protest and his suggestion that the reinforcement should come from Holmes's army at Little Rock. On March 9, 1863, Johnston was ordered to assume command of Bragg's army in middle Tennessee, and he reported at Tullahoma, March 18, to find Bragg's absence from the army caused by the severe illness of his wife, and he so reported to the war department. About this time his own health failed, and on April 10, at his request, General Bragg was allowed to [p.116] retain the command of the army in Tennessee. Alarmed by the manoeuvres of Grant after the battle of Fort Gibson, and receiving repeated calls for reinforcements from Pemberton, the Confederate government ordered Johnston on May 9 to proceed at once to Mississippi and assume the chief command of the armies. Although unfit for field service, he arrived at Jackson, Miss., May 13, and found that the Federals had gained a position between the city and Pemberton's army at Edward's Depot, twenty miles from Vicksburg. He at once ordered Pemberton to advance toward Jackson without delay. Pemberton, however, had to disregard these instructions in order to meet a threatened attack by Grant, who confronted him, and this led' to the battle of Champion's Hill or Baker's Creek, May 16, 1863. In the meantime Grant had decided to attack Johnston's force, and on May 14, 1863, he advanced, and Johnston retreated with his two brigades along the Canton road. Grant thereupon retired from Johnston's front and attacked Pemberton, which resulted in the battle of May 16, 1863, and caused the utter rout of the Confederate forces. In this emergency Johnston ordered Pemberton to evacuate Vicksburg and march to the northeast, but Pemberton, through the advice of a council of war, again disregarded these orders and attempted to withstand the siege of Vicksburg. After a siege of six weeks, in spite of Johnston's efforts to gather an army to relieve Pemberton, Vicksburg fell. A court of inquiry was formed to investigate the Mississippi campaign leading to the surrender of Vicksburg, which was practically an investigation of Johnston's action, and in accordance with his own request he was retired from the command of the Department of Tennessee, July 23, 1863, and continued in command of the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, but after Bragg's overwhelming disaster at Missionary Ridge, Nov. 25, 1863, he was reinstated, Dec. 18, 1863, and proceeded to Dalton, Ga., where he relieved Bragg of the command of the Army of Tennisco. Under Generals Hardee, Polk and Hood, 42,856 effective men were concentrated for the defence of Atlanta, Dec. 27, 1868. Sherman, who was in command of the Armies of the Cumberland, the Ohio, and the Tennessee, a force of 98,797 effective men, was ordered to move against Johnston's army, break it up, and get into the interior of the country. Sherman's advance began May 5, 1864. Subordinate to him were Thomas, McPherson and Schofield, and his policy was to force a battle as soon as possible. On May 8 the Confederates were attacked at Dug Gap and at Snake Creek Gap. The strength of the Confederate position enabled them to repulse the enemy and inflict a much larger loss than their own. To prevent Sherman from gaining a position between his army and Atlanta, Johnston withdrew his forces from Dalton to Resaca. On May 13 the two armies faced each other at this point, the Confederates assuming the offensive. The crossing of the Oostenaula river by the Federals necessitated the abandonment of Resaca, May 15, and a slow pursuit began, the Confederates throwing up entrenchments as they retreated. Johnston's plan was to attack the Federal army when it was separated by the parting of the road at Adairsville, Ga., and he placed Hood on a road parallel to the Adairsville road, from whence he was to attack the left flank of the force engaged with Polk. Hood abandoned his position without reporting, and the opportunity was lost. The Confederate army withdrew to Cassville with the intention of making a stand. Being urged by Hood and Polk to abandon the position, Johnston reluctantly yielded, and the army withdrew to New Hope Church, where an attack was made by Hooker's corps, May 25, and the Federal advance was checked with great loss. Cleburne was attacked, May 27, near Pickett's Mill by Howard's corps, but the attack was repulsed. On May 27 Bate's division attacked the Federal right, but was driven back with a loss of several hundred men. Sherman's army was being constantly strengthened by reinforcements, and on June 22 the Federal army, augmented to 112,819 men, again attacked Hood's division at Culp's Farm. After repulsing the attack Hood assumed tim offensive, which manesacre resulted in a disastrous repulse. Sherman then decided on a direct assault. The Confederates were still in the Kenesaw Pines and had dragged a few guns to the summit of Kenesaw mountain. The attack took place, June 27, iin three distinct assaults, and resulted in the repulse of the Federal army. The action was very spirited. At one time the woods caught fire and a truce was called for the purpose of removing the Federal wounded, who were unable to get away from the flames. The Federal loss was five times as great as the Confederate. Sherman again resorted to flanking movements, and on July 2 Kenesaw mountain was abandoned for a position farther south, and subsequently for a position along Peach Tree creek. Sherman moved his whole army across the Chattahoochee and approached the Confederate lines, intending to cross Peach Tree creek. While making preparations to fall upon the Federal army while they were engaged in the passage of the creek, Johnston received on July 17, 1864, a telegram from the secretary of war to he effect that as he had failed to arrest the advance of the enemy to the vicinity of Atlanta and "with no confidence that [p.117] you can defeat or repel him, you are hereby relieved from the command of the Army and Department of Tennessee, which you will immediately turn over to General Hood." Johnston's reply stated that "Sherman's army is stronger, compared with the Army of Tennessee, than Grant's, compared with the Army of Northern Virginia, yet the enemy has been compelled to advance more slowly to the vicinity of Atlanta than to that of Richmond and Petersburg, and has penetrated much deeper into Virginia than into Georgia." He immediately transferred his command and communicated his plans to his successor, giving orders the next day which arranged the troops in the positions selected by him. The feeling of disapproval of the removal of Johnston was shown by the cheering of his troops as they passed his headquarters. Hood, after several assaults upon Sherman, was driven out of Atlanta, and then undertook the invasion of Tennessee, and after the calamitous battle of Nashville, he retired to private life. Johnston remained in retirement, first residing at Macon, Ga., and subsequently at Lincolnton, N.C., until Feb. 23, 1865, when General Lee, who had been appointed to the position of commander-in- chief of the Confederate army, assigned him to the command of the Army of Tennessee and all troops in the Department of South Carolina, Florida and Georgia. He at once began the organization of an army out of the scattered troops aggregating 16,000 men, which he concentrated at Averysboro, N.C., in order to drive back Sherman who was at Cheraw, S.C., threatening Raleigh and Goldsboro, and if possible to form a junction with Lee. On March 16, 1865, Johnston transferred his headquarters to Fayetteville, N.C., and concentrated his troops at Bentonville. The Confederate force at Goldsboro under Bragg, when attacked by General Cox, checked the attack, inflicting great loss and sustaining but little. The Federal cavalry under Kilpatrick were surprised by Hampton, who captured the camp and released prisoners. Johnston then decided on an assault on the Federal left at Bentonville. The attack was made March 19, Johnston commanding in person, and the Federals were driven into a pine wood. Sherman, on hearing of the action, marched his right wing toward the firing and Johnston met it at Mill Creek with a thin line under General Hoke. On March 20 the entire Federal army was facing the Confederate army and several attacks were made, but were repulsed by the Confederates. Mower's division moved against the Confederate left on March 21, and broke through the line, but were repulsed by a countercharge of Cummings's Georgia brigade, a body of Texan cavalry, and Allen's Alabamians under General Wheeler, and under this attack the Federals withdrew. The Confederate army subsequently withdrew to Smithfield and marched to Raleigh, having captured many prisoners, and Sherman effected a junction with Schofield at Goldsboro and on April 10 commenced his march northward. At Battle's Bridge Johnston heard from President Davis of the surrender of Lee. He immediately repaired to Greensboro, where, after a long interview with the President and attendance at a cabinet meeting, Johnston dispatched a letter to Sherman dictated by Davis but signed by Johnston, proposing a suspension of hostilities and asking for an interview. This was granted and the meeting took place, April 17. It was the first time the two generals had met personally. Sherman informed Johnston of the assassination of President Lincoln and proposed that Johnston should surrender on the terms granted to Lee. This Johnston declined, as his army was not surrounded, but he proposed instead a permanent treaty of peace, which was approved by General Sherman. The papers were signed, April 18, 1865, and were sent to the civil authorities, but were not approved at Washington. General Grant visited Sherman's headquarters, April 24, and on the 26th Sherman and Johnston again met and signed the first articles of
capitulation. Upon the disbandment of the Confederate army General Johnston issued a farewell address to his men directing them to return to their homes and there discharge the obligations of good citizens as expressed in the terms of surrender. Johnston removed to Vicksburg, was president of a railroad company in Arkansas and engaged in the insurance business as a partner of Gen. B. G. Humphreys, 1868-77. In 1873 he aided in raising funds for the erection of the Lee monument. He removed to Richmond, Va., in 1877; was president of an express company, and a Democratic representative in the 46th congress, 1879-81. Upon the expiration of his term he resided in Washington and was appointed by President Cleveland U.S. commissioner of railroads under the interstate commerce hill, approved, February 4, 1887, serving 1887-91. In August, 1885, when on official business in Oregon, he was invited to serve as a pall-bearer of General Grant in New York city, and he hastened across the continent to attend. He was a member of the board of visitors of the College of William and Mary. He attended the Confederate memorial services at Atlanta, Ga., in 1890, and upon the death of General Sherman in February, 1891, he was selected as one of the honorary pall-bearers, and although suffering from heart trouble he attended. The exposure brought on a cold which caused his death. He is the author of: Narrative of Military Operations Directed during the Late War [p.118] between the States (1874), which had a large circulation and became an acknowledged authority; and the following articles in "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War": Responsibilities of the First Bull Run (Vol. 1., p. 240); Manassas to Seven Pines (Vol. II. p. 202); Jefferson Davis and the Mississippi Campaign (Vol. III., p. 472); Opposing Sherman's Advance to tlanta (Vol. IV., p. 260). He died in Washington, D.C., March 21, 1891.
A History and Genealogy of the Bayard and Related Families

This old Georgia family is descended from Dr. JAMES JOHNSTON, born 1686, who entered the Royal Navy, and married, in Dumfries, Scotland, in 1722, Jean Nisbet. Who has not heard of the famous Johnstons of the border, so well known in history, and so brave? Well may Georgia be proud of her Johnstons, for James Johnston was the publisher of the Georgia Gazette, without which many facts of history would have been forever lost, and his brother, Dr. Lewis Johnston, of Edinburgh, practiced medicine with Dr. John Irvine in Georgia, the latter having married (his second marriage), his daughter, Elizabeth Johnston. Hon. Lewis John ston was member of His Majesty's Honorable Council, and sided with the Crown during the Revolution. Went to Jamaica, and died there. Dr. James Johnston, of the Royal Navy, and Jean Nisbet had:
I. Dr. Lewis Johnston, born 1735.
II. Dr. Andrew Johnston.
III. Marion Johnston.
IV. James Johnston. V. John Johnston.
VI. Rachel Johnston.
VII. Elizabeth Johnston.
Others also died in infancy.

Dr. Andrew Johnston married, in 1761, Bellamy Roche, at Savannah, Ga., and had:
1. Bellamy Johnston.
2. Matthew Johnston.
3. Jean Nisbet Johnston.
4. James Johnston, married Ann Marion Houstoun, daughter of Sir George Houstoun, Bart.
5. Marion Anne Johnston.
6. Andrew William Johnston.
7. Rachel Johnston.
8. Louise Laleah Johnston.

Col. James Johnston married, May 31, 1797, at White Bluff, near Savannah, Ga., Ann Marion, daughter of Sir Geo. Houstoun, Bart., and had;
1. Ann Moodie Johnston, married Dr. Wm. R. Waring.
2. Bellamy Roche Johnston.
3. George Houstoun Johnston, married Emily Green Turner.
4. James Robertson Johnston, married Elizabeth Catharine Dowers, of Philadelphia.
5. Jane Priscilla Johnston, married Dr. P. M. Kollock.
6. Louisa Caroline Johnston, married Patrick Houstoun Woodruff.
7. Eliza Heriot Johnston, married Edmund Molyneux.
8. Andrew Johnston, died infant.
9. Priscilla Augusta Johnston, married Geo. J. Kollock.
10. William Patrick Johnston, married Mary Elizabeth Hooe.
11. Mary Helen Johnston, 1814-1872.
12. Susan Marion Johnston, married Geo. J. Kollock.

James Robertson Johnston and Elizabeth Catherine Dowers had:
1. Susan Woodruff Johnston.
2. James Houstoun Johnston, married Eugenia Cunningham Duncan and had issue.
3. Elizabeth Catherine Johnston.

Dr. William Patrick Johnston1 married 1840. Mary Elizabeth Hooe, daughter of Bernard Hooe and Eleanor Buchanan Briscoe, and had:
1. Mary Bellamy Johnston, born 1841.
(*)2. Dr. William Waring Johnston, born 1843, died 1902.
3. Bernard Houstoun Johnston, born 1845, died 1905.
4. James M. Johnston.
5. Dr. George Woodruff Johnston, born 1858.

(*) Dr. William Waring Johnston married twice and had six children.
James M. Johnston married, Nov. 18, 1886, Sophy Carr, daughter of Captain Overton Carr and Sophia Bache Wilkins, daughter of Hon. William Wilkins of Pennsylvania, and Matilda Dallas, daughter of Alexander James Dallas, a most distinguished citizen. By this marriage there were:
1. James Marion Johnston, Jr., born 1889.
2. Sophy Stanton Johnston, born 1891, married L. Randolph Mason and had issue.
3. Eleanor Dallas Johnston, born 1899.

KENT, William, engineer, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., March 5, 1851; son of James and Janet (Scott) Kent; grandson of James and Janet (Steel) Kent, and of John and Marion (Weild) Scott. His father came from Bothwell, Scotland, in 1844, where for several generations the family had been landscape gardeners. His mother came from Annan, Scotland, in 1841, and they were married in 1848. William Kent was graduated from the Central High school, Philadelphia, A.B., 1868, A.M., 1873; studied nights at the Cooper Union, N.Y., 1870-72, graduating the latter year; and was graduated from Stevens Institute of Technology, M.E., 1876. He was book-keeper, assistant on survey, and student in chemistry at the Ringwood Iron works, Hewitt, N.J., 1872-74; student at the Stevens Institute of Technology, and assistant on the U.S. testing board, making research on alloys, 1875-77; a draftsman in Pittsburg, Pa., 1877; editor of the American Manufacturer and Iron World, Pittsburg, 1877-79; employed in iron and steel works as assistant and superintendent, 1879-82; and manager of sales, and engineer of tests of a steam-boiler company, 1882-85. In October, 1882, he founded the Pittsburg Testing Laboratory, and was general manager of the Springer Torsion Balance company, Jersey City, N.J., 1885-89. He engaged thereafter as a consulting engineer. He obtained patents on numerous inventions, including torsion scales and weighing machines, steam-boilers, and smokeless furnaces. In 1895 he became associate editor of Engineering News, New York city; and he was a member of the New Jersey state commission on the pollution of streams, 1898-99. He was married, Feb. 25, 1879, to Marion Weild Smith. He was elected a member of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, 1876; the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1877; the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1880, and its vice-president, 1887-89, and the American Society of Heating and Ventilating Engineers, 1898. He is the author of: Strength of Materials (1878); Strength of Wrought Iron and Chain Cables [p.216] (abridgement of Beardslee's Report, 1879): The Mechanical Engineer' s Pocket Book (1895); Steam Boiler Economy (1901).
LINDSAY, Robert Burns, governor of Alabama, was born in Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, July 4, 1824; son of John and Elizabeth (McKnight) Lindsay. He was educated at St. Andrew's university, immigrated to the United States in 1844 and settled in North Carolina, where he studied law and taught school. In 1849 he removed to Tuscumbia, Ala., was admitted to the bar, and engaged successfully in practice. He was a representative in the Alabama legislature in 1853. He was married, Oct. 14, 1854, to Sarah Miller, daughter of William Winston, a wealthy planter of North Alabama, and granddaughter of Antony Winston, a Revolutionary soldier. He was state senator, 1857-58, a presidential elector on the Douglas and Johnson ticket in 1860; and was again stats senator in 1865-66. He served in Roddy's cavalry, organized at Tuscumbia, Ala., in December, 1862. He was nominated for governor of Alabama at the Democratic Conservative state convention in September, 1870, and was elected, defeating Governor William H. Smith, serving one term. He died at Tuscumbia, Ala., Feb. 13, 1902.

McCLELLAND, Dr. WILLIAM, b. in Galloway, Scot., in 1769; educated in Edinburg, and settled at Albany, as a physician, where he d. Jan. 29, 1812; he was first pres. of the N. Y. Med. Soc. (Tr. N. Y. St. Med. Soc., 1857, p. 29; Munsell's An. Alb., ix, 93.)[p.265]
This is copied from Portrait and Biographical Record of Ford, Co., Illinois:

One of the most prominent citizens of Roberts, Thomas McNeish born in Dunbartonshire, Scotland on March 2, 1848. His parents were Thomas and Jean (Duncan) McNeish, he a boot and shoemaker who came to Pennsylvania for three years before settling in Illinois where he purchased 80 acres for a farm. They had 5 children, one being Thomas of this sketch. The elder McNeish is buried in Benton Harbor, Mi and his wife in Roberts, Il. Thomas, the son, came to Roberts at age 21 and farmed many years until Roberts became a township when he purchased a lot in the village and manufactured boots and shoes and later a harness business. Thomas married Miss Isabella Burnett, a native of Dumfriessire, Scotland on Sep. 01, 1873 and they had nine children, whom three are now deceased (Jeanne, Marybelle, Harris, Agnes, John Wilson, and Ellen Isabella). Mr. McNeish was a Democrat and an honored member of the Town Council in Roberts. He was a Mason and member of the Knights of Labor. Accidentally killed by a sky rocket on July 4, 1891
Contributed by; Tim & Ronni Howard    howardr@intertek.net

SHEPHERD, Henry Elliott, educator, was born in Fayetteville, N.C., Jan. 17, 1844; son of Jesse George and Kate (Dobbin) Shepherd; grandson of Jesse B. and Kate (Elliott) Shepherd, and of John Moore and Margaret (McQueen)Dobbin, and a descendant of Hugh Dobbin, of Ireland; George Elliott, of Dumfries, Scotland; Donald McQueen of Greenock, Scotland, and John Shepherd, of Wales. He was educated at the University of Virginia, 186061; served in the Confederate army, 180165, and was severely wounded at Gettysburg. He was married, June 25, 1867, to Kate, daughter of Elijah P. and Lydia (McGregor) Goodridge, of Norfolk, Va. He was professor of rhetoric and history, Baltimore City college, 186875; superintendent of public schools in Baltimore, 187582, and in October, 1882, became president of the College of Charleston, S.C., and also had the chair of history and of the English language and literature. He resigned from the presidency in 1897, and was succeeded by Harrison Randolph (q.v.). He was professor of English in the Sauveur Summer College of Languages, Burlington, Vt., in 188792; became a member of the American Historical association in 1888, and of the Modern Language Association of America in 1885. He was an associate editor of the "Historical Dictionary of the English Language," publishing at Oxford, Eng. (1903). He received the honorary degree of LL.D. from the University of North Carolina in 1883, and is the author of: A History of the English Language (1874); a series of English grammars (188183); a historical reader (1881), and many essays on history, education and literature.
History of Broome County, New York
Smith, H.P. History of Broome County, New York. D. Mason & Co. Publishers, Syracuse, NY 1885

SWAN, Thomas, p. o. Binghamton, born in Parish Dumfries, Scotland, in 1835, son of James and Jane (Atchinson) Swan, of Scotland, married and settled in Chenango, Broome county, with three children in 1842, purchased their present homestead in 1845 of 225 acres, the former died in 1878, the latter in 1872, children five: Betsey, Thomas, Margaret, Agnes and James.