1. MacIlleathain, Ruairidh: "Para Handy and the Patronymic" in, Scots (The Journal of the Scots Heritage Society), Number 10, November 2000, pp. 20-21.
2. Grimble, Ian, PhD: Scottish Clans & Tartans, Hamlyn Publishers, London, and Tudor Publishing Co., New York, 1973.
3. Mitchie, MA, The Rev. John Grant, ed.: Records of Invercauld, 1st reprinting by Clan Farquharson USA, 1998; originally printed for the New Spaulding Club, Aberdeen, Scotland, 1901.
4. Tranter, Nigel: Lord in Waiting, Hodder and Stoughton Ltd, London, 1994, p. 418.
5. Lyon Clerk, Court of the Lord Lyon, Edinburgh: personal communication, 10th January 2001
6. MacPhail, Ian Murdoch M: A Short History of Dumbartonshire, Bennett & Thompson, Dumbarton, Scotland, 1962, p. 30
7. Fraser, Sir William: The Lennox, Vol. 1 Memoirs, T. & A. Constable, Edinburgh, 1869, pp. 24-33.
8. “Lennox”, in A Scotland Gazetteer, 1843, (New England Historic Genealogical Society Rare Book Library, Boston, MA), p. 250-251.
9. Buchanan, William of Auchmar: An Inquiry into the Genealogy and State of Ancient Scottish Surnames: with the Origin and Descent of the Highland Clans; and Family of Buchanan, 1723; Printed and Sold by William Auld, Turk’s Close, Lawn Market, Edinburgh, 1775, p. 177.
10. Innes (Sir Thomas) of Learney: Tartans of the clans and families of Scotland, W. & A. K. Johnston, Edinburgh, 1938.
11. Clan Tartan Centre: McKinlay Family History, Edinburgh, 1991.
12. Starforth, M.A.(Oxon.), Michael: A Short History of Clan Stewart of Appin, 1463-1752, and Its Unfailing Loyalty to the Royal House of Stewart, Appin Historical Society, c/o Dunvegan, Port Appin, Argyll, 1997, p. 13.
13. Innes (Sir Thomas) of Learney, rev: Scottish Tartans, Johnston and Bacon, Stirling, Scotland, 1984.
14. Claypool, Edward A.: The Scotch Ancestors of William McKinley, President of the United States, Shulkins & Co., Chicago, 1897.
15. Mackintosh, AM: Farquharson Genealogies, No. III Early Farquharsons and Craignety Family, printed for the author by George Bain, Nairn, 1918.
16. Black, George F., PhD: Surnames of Scotland, New York Public Library, 1996, p. 530.
17. Op cit.: “Introduction”, p. lxix. RPC.xi. is, according to Black, from the original source and means Register of the Privy Council, Series volume xi ( i-xiv =1545 to 1625), Edinburgh, 1877-1933.
18. MacLeod, Rev. Walter, Annotator: “A List of Persons concerned in The Rebellion transmitted to the commissioners of excise by the several supervisors in Scotland in obedience to a general letter of the 7th May 1746 and a supplementary list with evidences to prove the same”, Edinburgh, printed at University Press by T. & A. Constable for the President, Scottish Historical Society, 1890; Scotcopy, Unicorn, Ltd., Bruceton Mills, WV, 1999.
19. Fairbairn, James: Crests of the Leading Families in Great Britain and Ireland, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1963.
20. Lyon Clerk, Court of the Lord Lyon, Edinburgh: personal communication, 03 August 2001
21. Johnston, W & AK: Tartans of the Clans and Septs of Scotland: With the Arms of the Chiefs, Volume II(MacFarlane-Wemyss), W. & A. K. Johnston, Edinburgh, 1906
22. Campbell, Marion: Argyll: The Enduring Heartland, House of Lochar-Kilmartin House Trust, Isle of Colonsay, Argyll, 2001, p. 189
23. Livingston, Robert: Personal communication, 30 April 2003
Last Update: April 2005