1. Hugh1 Cowperthwaite was born in 1648 at England. He married Elizabeth at England; 1st wife. He married Elizabeth circa 1698 at New England; 2nd wife. He died 3mo 20 1720.
He resided at Kentmore, Westmoreland, England. He and Elizabeth immigrated in 1674 to Flushing, Long Island, NY. He was a school master. He was a tailor. He was a minister of the Society of Friends. He resided at Flushing, Long Island, NY.
Elizabeth died 10mo 15 1697 at Flushing, Long Island, NY.
Known children of Hugh1 Cowperthwaite and Elizabeth were as follows:
Elizabeth died 6mo 27 1707.
2. i. John2 Cowperthwaite, married Sara Adams.
ii. Hugh Cowperthwaite married Grace Burling in 1709/10; 1st husband. He died in 1730.
He left a will on 28 Apr 1730; proved 3 Jun 1730.
2. John2 Cowperthwaite (Hugh1) married Sara Adams, daughter of John Adams and Elizabeth, 1mo 1 1690/91 at Flushing, Long Island, NY. He died in Dec 1732.
He resided at Nottinghamshire, England. He resided at Flushing, Long Island, NY. He was a shoemaker. He was a farmer. He and Sara Adams resided circa 1700 at Chester Twp., Burlington Co., NJ. He left a will on 4 Dec 1732; proved 30 Dec 1732.
Sara Adams was born 2mo 24 1668.
Known children of John2 Cowperthwaite and Sara Adams were as follows:
3. i. Thomas3 Cowperthwaite, born circa 1703; married Mary Burden.
ii. John Cowperthwaite married Rachel Stokes, daughter of Thomas Stokes and Rachel Wright, 9mo 7 1734. He died on 19 Feb 1775.
He resided at Chester Twp., Burlington Co., NJ. He and Rachel Stokes had 4 children.
4. iii. Hugh Cowperthwaite, married Keziah Atkinson; married Hannah Atkinson.
iv. Elizabeth Cowperthwaite married Abraham Shadwell, son of John Shotwell and Elizabeth Burton, 10mo 5 1712 at Flushing, NY.
v. Susannah Cowperthwaite married William Webster, son of William Webster and Mary, on 16 May 1717 at Woodbridge, NJ. She died on 12 Feb 1777.
vi. Hannah Cowperthwaite married Francis Hogshead.
vii. Deborah Cowperthwaite married Ambrose Copeland.
viii. Bathseba Cowperthwaite married Joseph Dunlap.
3. Thomas3 Cowperthwaite (John2, Hugh1) was born circa 1703. He married Mary Burden on 19 Feb 1733. He died in 1781.
He resided at Chester Twp., Burlington Co., NJ. He left a will on 8 Feb 1781; proved 27 Aug 1781.
Mary Burden died on 4 May 1771.
Known children of Thomas3 Cowperthwaite and Mary Burden were as follows:
i. John4 Cowperthwaite married Lois Ely, daughter of William Ely and Elizabeth Perkins; 2nd husband.
He resided in 1763 at Salem, NJ. He resided in 1769 at Woodbridge, NJ. He married first in 1774. He resided between 1778 and 1781 at Hanover Twp., Morris Co., NJ; also 1794-1795. He resided in 1796 at Springfield, NJ.
ii. Thomas Cowperthwaite married Mary on 26 Aug 1761; 1st wife, 2nd husband. He married Mary Wiggins, daughter of James Wiggins and Elizabeth; 2nd wife, 1st husband. He died on 20 Mar 1770.
He resided at Mannington, Salem Co., NJ. He and Mary had 3 children.
5. iii. William Cowperthwaite, born 2 Jul 1745; married Hope Shreve; married Hope Wallis.
iv. Hugh Cowperthwaite was born 7mo 2 1744. He married Rebecca Roberts, daughter of Joshua Roberts and Rebecca Stokes, on 22 Oct 1772. He died in 1808.
He and Rebecca Roberts had 6 children. He left a will in 1808.
v. Job Cowperthwaite married Ann Vickers, daughter of Peter Vickers, on 21 Aug 1777 at Haddonfield, NJ. He died in 1813.
vi. Phebe Cowperthwaite married Samuel Andrews, son of Peter Andrews and Esther Butcher, on 9 Dec 1754; 1st husband. She married William Bassett, son of Elisha Bassett and Elizabeth Davis, on 6 Nov 1761 at Evesham Meeting, NJ; 2nd husband. She married David Brown on 27 Nov 1777; 3rd husband.
vii. Mary Cowperthwaite married John Kille, son of Samuel Kille, on 17 Dec 1772 at 1st Baptist Church, Philadelphia, PA; 1st husband. She married Richard Tittermary, son of John Tittermary and Ann Reed, on 6 Oct 1796; 2nd husband. She died on 2 Dec 1842.
She and John Kille resided at Woolwich, Gloucester Co., NJ.
viii. Elizabeth Cowperthwaite married John Duell, son of John Duell and Hannah Pearce, on 5 Feb 1761; int.
4. Hugh3 Cowperthwaite (John2, Hugh1) married Keziah Atkinson in 1734; 1st wife. He married Hannah Atkinson, daughter of John Atkinson and Hannah Shinn, on 19 Apr 1737; 2nd wife. He died between 1755 and 1758 at Crosswicks Creek, Upper Freehold, Monmouth Co., NJ.
He resided at Long Island, NY. He resided at Burlington Co., NJ. He resided in 1749 at Crosswicks Creek, Upper Freehold, Monmouth Co., NJ.
Hannah Atkinson was born 4mo 7 1719.
Known children of Hugh3 Cowperthwaite and Hannah Atkinson include:
5. William4 Cowperthwaite (Thomas3, John2, Hugh1) was born on 2 Jul 1745. He married Hope Shreve, daughter of Thomas Shreve and Sarah Shreve, on 4 Feb 1767; 1st wife. He married Hope Wallis, daughter of Thomas Wallis and Hope Lippincott, on 3 Mar 1791; 2nd wife, 2nd husband. He died on 1 May 1818 at age 72.
He resided at Burlington, NJ.
Hope Shreve died on 7 Nov 1789.
Known children of William4 Cowperthwaite and Hope Shreve were as follows:
Hope Wallis was born on 31 Dec 1753. She married Seth Lippincott; 1st husband. She died in 1832.
i. John5 Cowperthwaite was born circa 1782. He died on 17 Sep 1783.
ii. Joseph Cowperthwaite was born on 28 Oct 1789. He died; probably young.
iii. Rebecca Cowperthwaite was born on 28 Oct 1789. She died; probably young.
7. iv. Mary Cowperthwaite, married Ephraim Olden.
v. William Cowperthwaite was born on 4 Jan 1770. He married Martha Stratton, daughter of David Stratton and Rebecca Owen, on 2 Feb 1797. He died on 10 Jul 1812 at age 42.
vi. Hope Cowperthwaite married Wallace Lippincott, son of Seth Lippincott and Hope Wallis, in 1795.
vii. Stacy Cowperthwaite.
viii. Sarah Cowperthwaite.
ix. Thomas Shreve Cowperthwaite married Hannah in 1810; 1st wife. He married Harriet Cowperthwaite, daughter of Joseph Cowperthwaite and Sarah Spicer; 2nd wife. He died between 1831 and 1840.
He was a cabinetmaker. He resided in 1802 at Philadelphia, PA.
6. Joseph4 Cowperthwaite (Hugh3, John2, Hugh1) was born circa 1747. He married Sarah Spicer on 27 Nov 1778. He died on 24 Dec 1821 at Waterford Twp., Gloucester Co., NJ.
Sarah Spicer died in 1823 at Waterford Twp., Gloucester Co., NJ.
Known children of Joseph4 Cowperthwaite and Sarah Spicer include:
i. Harriet5 Cowperthwaite married Thomas Shreve Cowperthwaite, son of William Cowperthwaite and Hope Shreve; 2nd wife. She died on 29 Jun 1851.
7. Mary5 Cowperthwaite (William4, Thomas3, John2, Hugh1) married Ephraim Olden, son of Joseph Olden and Anne Gardner, in 1792. She died before 2 May 1805.
Ephraim Olden died in 1799. He resided at Nottingham, Burlington Co., NJ. He resided at Philadelphia, PA. He left a will on 27 Aug 1798 at Philadelphia Co., PA; proved 7 Feb 1799.
8. Dr. Joseph6 Olden (Mary5 Cowperthwaite, William4, Thomas3, John2, Hugh1) married Elizabeth Rodman.
9. Mary Cowperthwaite7 Olden (Joseph6, Mary5 Cowperthwaite, William4, Thomas3, John2, Hugh1) married Alexander Murray McIlvaine.
12. Mary Shippen8 McIlvaine (Mary7 Olden, Joseph6, Mary5 Cowperthwaite, William4, Thomas3, John2, Hugh1) married Charles McGill Spencer.
17. Julia McIlvaine9 Spencer (Mary8 McIlvaine, Mary7 Olden, Joseph6, Mary5 Cowperthwaite, William4, Thomas3, John2, Hugh1) married Charles Turner Marshall.
20. Julian McIlvaine10 Marshall (Julia9 Spencer, Mary8 McIlvaine, Mary7 Olden, Joseph6, Mary5 Cowperthwaite, William4, Thomas3, John2, Hugh1) married Henrietta Armitt Harrison.
23. John Randolph11 Marshall (Julian10, Julia9 Spencer, Mary8 McIlvaine, Mary7 Olden, Joseph6, Mary5 Cowperthwaite, William4, Thomas3, John2, Hugh1) married Deborah Lynn Reilly.
Pedigree Base - Marshall
12 - Mary Shippen McIlvaine
5 - William Cowperthwaite
Marshall Genealogy Family Index
Marshall Genealogy Bibliography
Marshall Genealogy Page
The Master Genealogist for Windows
Last Changes made on: 9/29/04 Created by John Marshall