The Tomlinson Story

The Tomlinson Story©

Joseph Tomlinson

Joseph was born in Dublin Ireland the 12th of October 1712. The names of his parents are still being researched by many. One possibility is James and Harriet nee Trowbridge Tomlinson are his parents. Joseph came to America in 1726, and settled in Maryland state. It has been written he came with his brothers. Nathaniel , John, James and Jessie could be the names of his brothers. Joseph would have been 14 years old when he emigrated leaving the strong possibility he emigrated with his parents.

Joseph married Rebecca Swearingen on the 21st of October 1738 in Queen Ann Parish, Anne Arundel county, Maryland.

By 1740 Joseph was working for Jonathan Hager at Hagerstown, Maryland at the London Fur Company. He was superintendent of the fur storehouse outpost in Wills Creek in Maryland near the Pennsylvania border.

In those days Colonel Washington and his colonial army were fighting the French and Indian war in Maryland and Pennsylvania area . Washington and Braddock’s army was active in Little Meadows, Western Maryland, building wagon roads to transport artillery, supplies, and building stockade forts to aid in this war.

It wasn’t until the captured Fort Duquesne from the French in 1758 , that it was safe for travelers to go westward on the Braddock Road. Inns were needed to accommodate these travelers across the mountains. This demand interested Joseph, a well-to-do planter, to go west and purse an inn to accommodate these travelers.

On September 20th of 1760 at age 48 Joseph deed his 367 acres called "Water Sink" to Samuel Volgomat and moved west to Little Meadows. By 1761 Joseph purchase a 100 acre tract in Little Meadows which included the old campground used by Colonel Washington. He had it patented and called it "Good Will". Good Will was only a day’s horse-back ride from Cumberland, with good water, pasture and glade hay for the stock. Indeed this was a good site for a Inn.

Joseph built a large log inn and stables near a spring on old Braddock Road naming it the "Red House". He became the first inn keeper at Little Meadows and the first settler in which is now called Garrett county . Many noted travelers, including General Washington were guests at the old Red House Inn. His son, Jesse, later erected the splendid "Stone House" on the National Road and just a little distance form the former Red House.

The Stone House is a ,massive structure, three and half stories in the rear and two in the front. It has on its rear end a three story porch and a verandah one story high in front. The lands attached are the most fertile in the state and lie beautifully at the foot of the mountain.

His son Jessie was the first postmaster in the region and kept the post-office and a little store in his tavern. Little Meadows and the Stone House are the most attractive sites on the old National Road and threescore years ago they were centers of polities and society in Allegany county.

Joseph and Rebecca raised ten children in the Red House. The great hardships they endured during the war with the French and the tracking of Indians only made them a hardy breed of adventurers. Joseph with adventure in his blood was once again looking westward as soon their sons John, Joseph , James and Samuel were grown. Joseph was well acquainted with the familiar yearning to improve his fortunes. This was the same desire that caused his father to leave Ireland for the new lands and Joseph to leave his farm to adventure in new lands to open an inn. Now it was drawing him to once again leave his comfortable home for the unbroken wilderness called Ohio Valley which was dangerous and unsettled lands.

Joseph was an expert surveyor, he was noted to be excellent judge of good soil and of good location from a business point of view. They surveyed and entered land at several points between Wheeling and Kentucky, also at Yellow Creek above Wheeling. Joseph assisted his sons in locating land in several places .

In 1770 Joseph and his son Samuel continued their exploration and quest for land as far as the Great Kanawha. This first and perilous trip was in a canoe armed with rifles, tomahawk and their surveyor instruments. They depended largely on the game of the forest, fish and parched corn for their sustenance. They stopped opposite the mouth of the Muskingum river and laid their claim on 400 acres of land. They left their sign or token of claim that is their initials blazed on a beech tree with gunpowder.

Joseph returned to Little meadow near Wills Creek making that his home until 1793 when several of his children having married and settled in that vicinity of Grave Creek he returned there and died a Wheeling on December 1st, 1793 at age 81.

Joseph well earned the title of pioneer, explorer and adventurer, with honor of helping to open up the great Ohio Valley to civilization. It also to be noted that he served our country and was apart of the birth of the states having served as a member of the Committee of Safety of Ohio county of Virginia and is in the D.A.R. book 60 page 87.

John Tomlinson

John of Wills Creek, husband of Hannah, was the son of Joseph and Rebecca Swearingen Tomlinson. There is no birth record or piece of document that names his parents. What we do have is a John named in Joseph III bible records as Joseph and Rebecca’s son and will of Nathaniel, son of Joseph and Rebecca, naming him as his brother. There was other Johns in the which area makes it difficult to distinguish between them and to be sure our John is the John of Joseph.

Proving that the John, husband of Hannah, is the son of Joseph and Rebecca must be done by other records namely land records. By following the land record of a certain tract of land called Wills Town , there is the proof. Joseph deeded John, along with his brothers, lots in Wills town Joseph did not name them as his children in the deeds but we know from other sources that the Samuel named in the Wills town deeds was a son of Joseph. When Samuel died young with no children, his land in Wills town was probated to John naming him a brother on the deed. Thus leaving one of the most important proofs of relationship to Joseph Sr.

More proof is in a deed dated 12 July 1814 and recorded 4 Dec 1814 in Allegany county Maryland Book G page 530. It states John Tomlinson of Allegany county Maryland deeded to Christian Albright of Bedford county Pennsylvania for $400. All that part of land being part of a tract of land called WILL TOWN and a part there of that lies in Bedford county Pennsylvania boarding the original track WILLS TOWN containing 100 aces , witness John Scott and George Hoffman and Hannah Tomlinson wife of John released her dower. Thus the John husband of Hannah was the John, Joseph deeded part of Wills town to in 1771.

The birth date that I recorded for John probably needs more proof, his marriage records to his first wife, if there was one, would show some proof. Until then I relay on the one record I have and have came to the conclusion John was born about 1739 or 40. This record is John M Buchanon’s testimony before a jury in an equity court battle of John’s probate in 1839. This coincided with my suspicions that John was older then what was being reported among other Tomlinson researchers. Mr. Buchanon testified "John Tomlinson Sr. told him he was in his upwards of ninety". John died in 1833 thus giving his birth date between 1743 and 1738 when Joseph and Rebecca married. My conclusion is that John is the first child of Joseph and Rebecca.

Family tradition says John was married twice and they had issue John , Joseph and Lucy. I have yet to prove that. When we look at the land deeds we find Hannah his wife relinquishing her dower rights between 1792 and 1832. This means Hannah only had rights to those deeds purchased by John during their marriage and not before. I have found no other deed where it mentions another wife. John would have been of age to marry in about 1759. Hannah released her dower on the 1814 Wills Town deed which was first deed to John in 1771, meaning she was married to John by 1771 at which time John was about 32. This leaves a gap of about of only 12 years from the time he would have been old enough to marry and the 1771 deed, and just enough time for John to have another family. I am not so sure John had another marriage and that possibly he married later in life to Hannah.

Family tradition says Hannah maiden was Devore. I or anyone else have yet to prove this. The fact is the two families had a lot of interaction with each other and lived ether near each other or on each others land or buying Tomlinson land. A Jacob Devore was a witnesses to Hannah’s will dated 17 January 1839. Cornelius Devore of Bedford county Pennsylvania bought from Joseph Tomlinson Jr. the upper part of the fifth lot in Wills Town on 19 February 1784, putting him on the west side of Wills Creek near John and Benjamin Tomlinson. Hannahs’s granddaughter Margaret Tomlinson married James Devore son of Charity Devore and Philip Devore of New Jersey. There is a connection with Cornelius, Philip, Jacob and Hannah Devore, what it is still needs to found.

The Devores again shows up in association with Tomlinson in a Pennsylvania Supreme Court case of the Republica (commonwealth) against John Devore in April 1795. In this case John Tomlinson is the freehold of 140 acres, wooded and arable land, was renting it to John Baker. John Baker in turn permitted Cornelius Devore to come in to possession of the land in 1792. John Devore cultivated the land for his brother Cornelius but no one lived on the land. John Tomlinson asked John Devore in 1793 to accompany him to the farm and then there at the farm asked John Devore to give him his possessions. John Devore refused and said he could not, for the right was his brother’s, Cornelius Devore. John then laid his hand gently on him and desired him again to deliver up the possession. John Devore stepped back and picked up a stick and bid him stand off. John who admitted he felt no fears but expected to be struck if he pressed him further. All in all the judge in the end was in favor for John Devore. The judge went on to say John Devore was invited on the land by John Tomlinson for the purpose of provoking him to some act of outrage and Baker was certainly guilty of allowing Cornelius to obtain possession of the land and Tomlinson should have remedy the problem through the procedure under the landlord and tenant act.

The first record to mention John was the 1771 deed in which Joseph Tomlinson deeded to John the second part of Wills Town and John was described as a mill wright of Frederick county Maryland. Interesting enough a 1775 tax record of Cumberland Valley Pennsylvania mention of a Tumilson Mill and three years later the tax record lists a John Tumblson Sr. to have a total of 650 acres and a John Tumblson Jr. to have 50acres. Is this our John Tomlinson as a young man? Did John live in Pennsylvania with his first wife and children from about 1760 to 1785 when he was then listed as a nonresident in Cumberland Valley. But yet John Tomlinson took the patriot’s oath of fidelity and support in Washington county, Maryland in 1777. A local history said John and Benjamin moved from Bedford county Pennsylvania in about the end of the Revolutionary War.

On February 2, 1786 John had 200 acres on Gladwins Creek and Jennings Run in Bedford county Pennsylvania surveyed. In 1788 John patented 229 acres on Wills Creek in Bedford county, Pennsylvania and named it Denmark. It seems to be clear that John owned property in both Pennsylvania and Maryland.

John was also a surveyor like his father and surveyed the military lots in 1788 in Allegany county, Maryland west of Fort Cumberland. These lots were offered by the State government to volunteers in the Continental Army.

In Maryland John lived west of Fort Cumberland in Wills Town Hundred a site of an old Shawnee Indian settlement named for Will, an Indian found there, at the mouth of Caiucuctuck Creek. Wills Creek was a tributary of the north Branch of the Potomac and was originally known as Caicuctuck.

By 1793 John had accumulated more than 1,864 acres in the Third district. The names of some of his tracts was Wills Town, Horrible Bottom, Rock Point, Sampson Riddle, Late Discovery, Look Sharp, Mill Seat, Little Worth and Walnut Bottom.

John was the first of his brothers to be elected to the Maryland House of Delegates from Allegany county. He served in 1790 and 1799. John also served as Justice of the Peace in Allegany in 1829.

John,yeoman, was in a dispute with James Dodsworth, miller. John was found guilty on the 20th of October of 1794 of slander for accusing Dodsworth of theft of wheat from another miller, John Meaning. Later William Shaw and Charles F. Broadhag then granted John recovery in Dodsworth v. John Tomlinson, yeoman, for debt. Then in John Tomlinson v. James Dodsworth, miller, for non-payment of debt, the verdict was guilty and Moses Baird was surety for Dodsworth.

John Tomlinson described as a miller, a surveyor, a legislature, a yeoman, a landowner and also a slave owner. On May 17, 1805 John Tomlinson listed the following slaves brought by him from the Territory of Columbia, James about 40 years of age, Sarah about the same, Ann nine years of age, Lantz about seven years old, Elisha about three years of age and Tom about four months. He intended these slaves to work his lands in Allegany County.

In the following years before John’s death in 1833 John deeded much of his property to members of his family. John was making sure those people received what he wanted them to have. He knew wills could be contested and changed and probably he knew that that would happen so he unloaded his property before he died. The last deed he transacted was to Jessie Tomlinson of John in which he deeded Jessie 10 acres of "Pine Lick" bordering Nothing Left and Will Town for $80.

John Sr. for the last 10 to 15 years of his life had a sore leg in which Jesse and his children helped John Sr. by and was there for him. On Monday May 27 1833 John Sr. signed over $1,000 in notes to his grandchildren, John died the Friday after that May 27 , 1833 in early June.

About two and half months after Johns death on Thursday the 22 of August, Hannah Tomlinson, widow and Jessie her youngest son went before Allegany county court to file for letter of administration on the estate of John Tomlinson, Dec. The Saturday August 31 the court denied her request and granted administration to Thomas I McKaig.

An inventory of John’s goods and personal estate was appraised on August 31 1833. It consisted of 3 milk cows, 7 small shoats,13 hogs, 25 sheep, a bay mare, hay bushel , 26 lb. wool, a small spinning wheel, wool wheel, gain wheel, copper mile, cotton wheel, jerk, a coffee mill, a coffee pot, a tin cup, iron pot, copper pot, earthen crock, a tea kettle,2 ladles, waiter, 2 pot trammels, a lot of old iron, square box, 2 tin buckets, an ax, iron sledge, steel yards, tin buckets, trowel and tangs, 6 chairs, a desk and book case, 3 tables, queen ware, a Franklin bedstead, 2 beds with bedding and bedsteads , a bureau , iron and holder, candle and stand.

Sale of John personal estate was conducted on September 10, 1833. Hannah Tomlinson bought the bureau, bedding, 1 cow, jerk, iron and holder, tea kettle, iron pot, 2 pot trammels , 2 tin buckets, copper mile, earth crock, and chairs.

A dispute then arise between Jesse Tomlinson and his children and the administrator Thomas I McKaig in regards to a $1,000 note and land called Last Chance The dispute went to the Chancery court on October 31 1836. The object of the file in this case was to obtain a decree to declare a certain single bill made on 27 May 1833 fraudulent and that certain real estate called Nothing Left be sold. John Tomlinson in his last days being ill, turned over the $1,000. promissory note from John Buchanon to his son Jesse for his grandchildren. McKaig wanted to prove John Sr. was incapable of making a valid deed or contract in his last days of life. The court then ordered Jesse Tomlinson to appear in court before the third Monday of April 1837 to give his cause of the matter and this order by the court be published once each week for three successive weeks before the 20th of December 1836 in a newspaper printed in Cumberland.

In the November court session of 1836 the following witnesses was called before the jury courtroom to give testimonies of the last few days before John died. The witnesses called was Roger Taylor, Peter and Mary Kreaghbanm, John M Buchanon and Cornelius Devore. Some of the pages are missing from this court record but a lot is still in tack. The first part of Roger Taylor’s testimony is missing. It starts "At different times he was unwell. He had a sore leg and a sore arm. I heard the old man say that he waited on him a good deal and that he wished to make him some satisfaction for it. He said this, a good while before the assignment. I do not know particularly whether he was fond of John. He was fond of all his grand-children. I thought he appeared to be fonder of his namesakes than others. He did not like Samuel and Jacob’s conduct, heard him say so, he did not like their getting drank. I heard him say that he would wish to dispose of some land he gave John a deed for, that he did not wish Samuel to get hold of it, and that he wished to convert his lands into money that he might do as he pleased with it, that he did not wish Samuel to get hold of it, that he got drunk and cut his arm. This conversation took place in his ordinary heath and must have been a year or two before his death and after that he did deed the said lands to his son Jesse John and to his son John John. I do recollect that he said he wished to die his own executor. By this I understood him to mean that he wished to settle his own affairs".

The next witness was Peter Kreaghbanm and he testified " I have known Mr. McKaig for about five years and John Tomlinson and his grandchildren fifteen Years. I know that he is dead , I was present when he died and helped to lay him out, I do not recollect the precise time but it is between four and five years. I was there one evening it was the same day the notes were altered in Cumberland. The night I was there he never spoke a word except he wanted to get up or be laid down. If any one asked him if he wanted any thing he would say yes or no, sometimes he opened and closed his eyes. He was very much enfeebled and would draw a very long breath. I thought he was dying. I cannot tell what was his state of mind. He was too weak to attend to business. I cannot tell whether he was easily influenced or whether any of his grand children did influence him. I was there the night of his death. I got there just at dusk, the evening before he died. He was in the same state of mind as when I saw him before. He could not rise in his bed without assistance, nor sit up when raised, he was as helpless as a child………." The rest of the testimony from this witness is missing.

The next pages are of the next court date Monday the 18th of December 1836. George McVicker witness on the part of the defendants saying " That he does know the parties , cannot say how long, but has known them some time, six or seven years. He was present when the assignment was made and that exhibit C is a true copy of said assignment . Mr. Buchanon talked with the old gentlemen and asked him if he wished this money, which he was then assigning to Jesse’s children to be for the present children or if he should have any other children whether they should have or not. Mr. Tomlinson answered No he wished it for the present children. Mr. Buchanon wrote the assignment in presence of the witnesses and the old man. He was held up in the bed by James Robinson and young John Tomlinson. Mr. Buchanon then read the assignment and asked him if it was as he wished. I think the old man said it was. Mr. Buchanon then reached him the pen and he made his mark. I do not know whether his hand was directed or not but I think it was. I think it was put to the place. He said nothing after he made his mark until he was laid down in bed, immediately after which all the witnesses sighed it as witnesses. The old man was not looking at the witnesses while they were signing that I know of but I suppose that he knew that they were signing. The old man was in a very low state at that time I cannot say that I saw any improper influence connected upon him He had a sore leg which was very painful and had been sore from ten to fifteen years. His grandson, John, was very careful in waiting on him. I think he was very fond of John and I have heard him say that Jesse, and Jesse’s children had done more for him than any of his other children. I do not think it was more than two days after the assignment that he died, it was the Friday night after that, he died. He was very much against Samuel and Jacob and I think I heard him say that he would never do any thing for Jacob. The Friday evening before he was taken sick I Heard him say that he wished to die his own executor, I thought he meant that he wished to settle all his business before his death, so that no one would be put to the trouble of settling his affairs after he was dead. I know nothing as to him and his wife. After the assignment , Mr. Buchanon asked him what he wished done with the notes which were assigned. I think he said that he wished them to be given to his son Jesse. I did not hear them ask him anything except once, I heard John ask him if he wished him to have the old mare as they had been talking about it and he said Yes. This conversation was four or five days before the assignment. During his sickness, I do not think that he was at all times in a sound mind and I will tell you my reason, he wished to have a bucket of boiling water to put his leg in. This conversation I think took place either the night before or the night of the assignment. That night he frequently called for boiling water to put his leg in, his leg was very painful and had mortified and appeared to be the greatest part of his misery. They took him in an other room and warm water was brought him, he put his hand in it and appeared to be angry, because, as he said, it was not hot enough. I suppose he thought the water would relieve his leg . From this time to his death I can hardly think he was capable of doing business. I could see nothing during the whole of his sickness, which showed that he was deranged, except the hot water. He talked continually, during his sickness, of the notes until the assignment was made after which he said no more about them. In his conversation he said nothing about the assignment but wanted new notes drawn. Judging from the previous conversation which I had with him, when in health I thought that he had an idea of what he wanted done. They met again on Thursday December 21st and John M Buchanon gave the following testimony. I know them both and I have been in the county fourteen years and have known Jesse Tomlinson the most of that time. He died in the early part of June eighteen hundred and thirty three. I do not recollect distinctly but I an under the impression that his grandson, John, of Jesse, stood behind him and steadied or directed his hand in assessing his mark to said assignment. I know nothing about his conduct and do not believe that he was in sane, although from protracted indisposition and the infirmities of age, for the was upwards of ninety, as he told me, he had, in a great measure lost his reasoning faculties and was not capable of disposing of any amount of property that required the exercise of his judgment. I would answer that his mind was in that state owing to causes set forth in the answer to the preceding interrogator and that it could be operated upon by those by whom he was immediately surrounded and for whom he had formed an attachment. By those who surrounded him I mean Jesse Tomlinson and his children. I think I heard John Tomlinson, son of Jesse say that he might have induced his grandfather to give him the thousand dollars just as easy as what he did give him. I am induced to believe he would, from the fact that he told me repeatedly, whilst in a healthy condition that he wanted the interest accruing on this money, to be paid to his wife, she outlived him, and the old man told me that he intended to leave this interest and his black girl, Phoebe, to the old woman, his wife, as long as she lived and he thought that this with her thirds off the land would be sufficient to support her. He was afflicted with a sore leg. In the winter off eighteen hundred and thirty or thirty one his son Samuel cut his wrist with a butcher knife, Samuel Tomlinson came to me and asked me if I had a butcher knife, I told him I had. I was keeping store near there at the time ,I sold him a butcher knife and I ……..The rest is missing.

The jury came to the verdict that John was not capable of making a valid contract. Jesse Tomlinson and John Buchanon is to hand over the notes to the Administration of John’s estate . On December 10, 1839 the fourth account of John’s estate was recorded. Money was paid out to pay costs of the administration. The rest went to Hannah, Jacob, Jesse Tomlinson, and 10 heirs names unknown.

Hannah filed her will on 30 of May 1839. It was proven 11 June 1839. Hannah die between January 17 and May 30, 1839 leaving her whole estate to her son Jacob Tomlinson with no contest.

Samuel Tomlinson

Samuel the son of John and Hannah was born about 1790 in Allegany county, Maryland. Samuel was the last of eight children born to this family.

There is not much written on Samuel only land deeds, census and his marriage record.

He is listed in 5th District of Allegany county Maryland in the household of his father John Tomlinson Sr. in 1800 and 1810.

Samuel at about age 21 married Polly Matthews on the 5 July 1811 in the 5th District. Polly was the daughter of Chidley Matthews and Margaret Park.

Their first child , Joseph. was born about 1814. Sense there is 3 years sense Samuel and Polly’s marriage and Joseph there could have very will be Other children that died, but there is no way of known for sure at this time. Joseph moved to Ohio and married Mary Thompson. They had at least three children.

Their next child born was our ancestral great grandmother Minerva Tomlinson. She born the 6 of April in 1816 in the 5th District. Minerva married our great grandfather James Hardy in Pennsylvania, most likely in Bedford county.

Four months after our grandmother Minerva’s birth a deed to Samuel from his father , John was recorded. This deed is the first part of proof that establishes Samuel’s relationship as son of John and Hannah Tomlinson. The deed reads " So well for and in consideration of the natural love and affection which he the said John Tomlinson hath and betray unto the said Samuel as also for the better maintenance, support, lively hood and procurement of him the said Samuel Tomlinson and also for the consideration of six hundred dollars for a part of a tract or parcel of land in Allegany county Maryland known by the name "Nothing Left" containing 300 acres." In this deed Hannah does not releases her dower, John owned the land before his marriage to Hannah. This tract of land borders with the original tract called "Horribly bottom Resurveyed" , "Wills Town" and the Pennsylvania border. That puts Samuel and his family on the border of Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Their third child was Margaret M Tomlinson in September of 1818. She was given the name of her grandmother and her mother. She married James P Devore in Pennsylvania and moved to Indiana They had at least nine children.

By 1820 Samuel was about 30 years old still living in the 5th District of Allegany county Maryland. Their forth child born , George Tomlinson was their second son. He was born the 11th of March in 1821. George moved to Ohio shortly after his brother Joseph and married Mary Green. They had three known children.

The fifth and last child , Samuel Tomlinson Jr., was their third son and he was born in February in 1823. He also went to Ohio, most likely with his brother George and married Sarah A Kemmel. They had no children.

In 1830 Samuel and his family are still on their land on the Pennsylvania border of Maryland. All their children are born. In his father’s probate we have found that Samuel likes to drink and quite often gets drunk. It seems sometime after John sold "Nothing Left" to Samuel their relationship was not good as his father disapproved of him getting drunk. In 1830 or 1831 Samuel went to the town store perpetrator John Buchanon and bought a butcher knife from him. I assume Samuel and his father John had a disagreement ether before or after he bought the knife. Samuel cut his fathers arm with the knife he bought from Mr. Buchanon. I do not know if he bought the knife to hurt his father. But John, because of this event and Samuel’s drinking, wished to leave Samuel nothing from his estate and sold land so Samuel could not get his hands on it after his death.

About the last time Samuel shows up in records in Allegany county Maryland is in February of 1832. A deed was drawn up and Samuel sold the 300 areas of "Nothing Left" he bought from his father for $600.00 to John M Buchanon for $3,000.00. That is a profit of $2,400.00 for Samuel.

John Tomlinson died about June 1833. Samuel is not on the list of people who bought items from the sale of his father personal estate in September of 1833. Maybe he had already left town. I can only find his children in records from this point on. His two daughters Minerva and Margaret married in Pennsylvania between 1833 and 1835. Margaret and James Devore moved on to Richland county Ohio and was there in 1836. His oldest son Joseph married in Richland County Ohio in 1837.

By 1839 his father’s probate was finalized and does not mention Samuel or anyone else other then Hannah, Jacob and Jesse and "10 remaining heirs names unknown". Soon after Hannah died and left her whole estate to Samuel’s brother Jacob Tomlinson.

In 1847 Samuel’s son George was in Richland County and married , Samuel Jr. followed and married in 1854. Both owned land by 1853 in Richland County Ohio.

I can only image that Samuel Sr. packed his family in a covered wagon and headed west and that is how their children ended up in Richland County Ohio.

Another mystery to me is a picture that was taken of all of Samuel’s children They were all together and it looks like they were in black. The picture would have to be dated before brother Joseph’s death in 1889 and at that time they was all living in different states, namely Ohio, Indiana and Iowa. What happened that would bring the siblings together again? Remember traveling was not easy in those days and they would have had to leave their farms for days to participate in this picture.

©Copyright 1997 Marcia J Rothman. All rights reserved. Duplication of this document in any means to sell or make money, with or without intention is prohibited without the expressed written permission of Marcia J Rothman PO 43, Langley, WA. 98260.

Return to Stories