Descendants of THOMAS LLOYD

Descendants of THOMAS LLOYD

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS4 LLOYD (CHARLES3, JOHN2, DAFYDD1 LLWYD) was born February 17, 1640/41 in Dolobran, Montgomeryshire, Wales, and died September 10, 1694 in Philadelphia, PA. He married (1) MARY JONES September 9, 1665 in at Friends 'Meeting in Shrosphire, Wales. He married (2) PATIENCE (GARDINER) STORY ABT 1684.


Immigrated to PA in 1683

Ref: "Colonial & Revolutionary Families of PA", John W. Jordan, Vol. 1, 1911, GPC 1978 reprint


Thomas Lloyd, Deputy Governor of Pennsylvania, 1684-88, and 1690-93, though a consistent member of the Society of Friends and a typical representative of that good old Quaker stock of solid respectability and sterling worth without the ostentation of pomp and display, whose home life lent such a peculiar charm of social life of the City of Brotherly Love, in Colonial days, was nevertheless of royal descent,and traced his ancestry on both maternal and paternal lines back to Edward I., of England, and on more remote paternal lines back through a long line of princes of ancient Britain. The surname of Lloyd had its original with Owen, son of Ievan Teg, otherwise, "Evan the Handsome", whose family had owned and occupied Dolobran, Wales, since 1496, and like all the old Welsh families traced its ancestry back to the Dark Ages. Owen Lloyd married Katherine Vaughn, and his brother, David Lloyd, of Dolobran, married Eva, daughter of David Goch Esq., and David Lloyd, son of David and Eva, had son John Lloyd, grandfather of Governor Lloyd, who married Catharine, daughter of Humphrey Lloyd Wyn, whose father John Lloyd, was a son of Ievan Lloyd and grandson of Owen Lloyd and Katherine Vaughn. John Lloyd, grandfather of Catharine, married Margaret Kynaston, who was a lineal descendant of Edward I., through the following line: Jane, "the fair maid of Kent," granddaughter of Edward I., and daughter of Edmund of Woodstock, Earl of Kent, married (first Sir Thomas Holland, who was thereupon made Earl of Kent, and (second) Edward, the Black Prince, becoming by the second marriage the mother of Richard II. Her eldest son, Sir Thomas Holland, who succeeded his father of Earl of Kent and was later Marshall of England, had a daughter Eleanor who married (first) roger Mortimer, Earl of March, from which marriage descended Edward IV., and (second) Edward Cherleton , Lord of Powys, by whom she had a daughter Joane, who married Sir John Grey, who in 1418, was created Earl of Tankerville. Henry Grey, Earl of Tankerville, son of Sir John and Joane, married Antigone, daughter of Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester who was a son of Henry IV., and had a duaghter Elizabeth, who married Roger Kynaston Esq., and their son, Humphrey Kynaston, was the father of Margaret Kynaston, who married John Lloyd, as above noted, and whose granddaughter Catharine married another John Lloyd, the grandfather of Thomas Lloyd of PA.

Charles Lloyd, of Dolobran, Montgomeryshire, Wales, son of John and Catherine, and father Governor Thomas Lloyd, was born at Dolobran, in 1613. He was a magistrate of Montgomeryshire, and had emblazoned on a panel at Dolobran, his coat-of-arms, with fifteen quarterings, impaled with the armes of his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Stanley, of Knockden, and a descendant of the Earls of Derby. The paternal or Lloyd arms were "azure, a chevron between three cocks argent", and the different quarterings show the descent of Governor Lloyd from the ancient male lines of the Lords of Powys, the cherletons, Greys and Kynastons. The first quarter of the maternal arms in the shield of the Earls of Derby, differenced with a crescent charged with a crescent, which indicates that Thomas Stanley was descended from a second son of a second son.

Issue of Charles and Elizabeth (Stanley)Lloyd, of Dolobran:

Charles, inherited Dolobran, and was ancestor of the Lloyd who founded Lloyd's Banking House, in London;

John, was a clerk in chancery;

Thomas, came to Pennsylvania, in 1683;

Elizabeth, m. Henry Parry, of Penamser, Merionethshire, Wales.

Thomas Lloyd was born at Dolobran, Montgomeryshire, Wales about the year 1640, and was sent to Jesus college, Oxford, where he graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, January 29, 1661. both he and his elder brother, Charles, with several others of the gentry of Montgomeryshire, became converted to the faith of the Society of Friends, under the teaching of George Fox in 1663, and both were imprisoned in 1664, and continued nominally prisoners until 1672, when Charles II., by letters patent, dispensed with the laws inflicting punishment for religious offences, when according to Besse, Charles Lloyd, Thomas Lloyd and others "were discharged from Montgomery Gaol." Thomas Lloyd seems, however, to have enjoyed a nominal liberty during at least a portion of this period, as it covers the date of his marriage, and his wife was permitted to visit him while in prison. Thomas Lloyd was a physician while residing in Wales, and had a large practice. Belonging as he did to the gentry class, and being a man of high intellectual ability, he exercised a wide influence in matters of state, though of the proscribed sect religiously. According to "The Friend", it was at his solicitation that Parliament was induced to abolish the long unused writ "de heretico comburendo", with the operation of which the Friends were threatened. He was tendered high place and influence if he would renouce his religion, but adhered to the faith. In 1681 he and his brother Charles held a public disputation at the town hall of Llanwilling, with Right Rev. William Lloyd, Bishop of Asaph, one of the noted prelates whom James II. committed to the Tower.

Thomas Lloyd and his wife and children embarked from London for Pennsylvania, June 10, 1683, on board the same ship with Francis Daniel Pastorius, the "Sage of Germantown," then on his way to take possession of the lands purchased by the Frankfort Company of William Penn, on which was planted the first German Colony in PA. Lloyd and the distinguished German scholar discoursed in Latin and discussed religious and political questions on the voyage, and cemented a friendship that continued through life. They arrived at Philadelphia 6 mo. (August) 20, 1683. On December 2, 1683, William Penn appointed Thomas Lloyd Master of rolls, the office having been created by the Assembly at the request of Penn, its object being to keep an exact record of the laws enacted for the Province, as well as a record of transfers of real estate and other legal documents. Thomas Lloyd was elected a member of the Governor's Council, qualified on 1 mo. 20, 1684, and was elected its president. Before sailing for Englnad, in August of the same year, William Penn executed a commission to his Council to act as Governor in his absence, made Thomas Lloyd Keeper of the Great Seal of the Province, and made him, with James claypoole and Robert Turner, Commissioners of Property, with authority to grant warrants of survey and issue patents to purchasers of land. The commission, vesting the governing power in Council, terminated in 1688, and through Lloyd desired to be relieved from office, Penn's commission arrived 12 mo. 9, 1687/8, vesting the powers of Deputy Governor in Thomas Lloyd, Robert Turner, John Simcock, Arthur Cooke and John Eckley, and this arrangement continued for ten months, when Penn, having offered Lloyd the Lieutenant Governorship, on his declination of the honor, appointed Capt. John Blackwell, then in New England, the Lieutenant Governor, Thomas Lloyd still retaining the positions of Master of Rolls and Keeper of the Great Seal. The administration of Blackwell was far from satisfactory to the Friends, and there was considerable clash between him and Lloyd as Keeper of the Seal, so that when Thomas Lloyd was returned as a member of the Council by Bucks county in March, 1687, Blackwell presented articles of impeachment against him, and failing to eject him from the Council, adjourned that body from time to time whenever Lloyd was present. On Penn's return Blackwell resigned, and on 11 mo. 2, 1689/90, the Council accepted Penn's ultimatum that the whole Council act as the governing body, elected Thomas Lloyd its president, and made him, as Keeper of the Seal, a member of the county court, ex-officio. He was later commissioned Lieutenant Governor and served until the arrival of Governor Fletcher, when he was offered the second place in the government, but declined. Thomas Lloyd died September 10, 1694, after eleven years residence in PA, during eight of which he had served as her chief executive. He was twice married, His first wife, Mary Jones, whom he married 9 mo. 9, 1665, at the Friends' Meeting in Shropshire, Wales, died in PA, and he married (second) Patience Story, a widow of New York, who survived him.

Children of THOMAS LLOYD and MARY JONES are:

i. HANNAH5 LLOYD, b. September 21, 1666; m. (1) JOHN DELAVAL; m. (2) RICHARD HILL.

ii. RACHEL LLOYD, b. January 20, 1666/67; m. SAMUEL PRESTON.

iii. MORDECAI LLOYD, b. December 7, 1669; d. 1694, lost at sea.

iv. JOHN LLOYD, b. February 3, 1670/71; d. 1692, s.p. at Jamacia.

v. MARY LLOYD, b. March 27, 1674; d. 1735; m. ISAAC NORRIS.

2. vi. THOMAS LLOYD, b. September 15, 1675; d. 1718.

3. vii. ELIZABETH LLOYD, b. March 1, 1676/77; d. July 22, 1704.

viii. MARGARET LLOYD, b. February 5, 1679/80; d. September 13, 1693.

ix. DEBORAH LLOYD, b. March 1, 1681/82; m. MORDECAI MOORE.

x. SAMUEL LLOYD, b. 1684, Philadelphia, PA; d. died young.

Generation No. 2

2. THOMAS5 LLOYD (THOMAS4, CHARLES3, JOHN2, DAFYDD1 LLWYD) was born September 15, 1675, and died 1718. He married SARAH YOUNG.


Stayed in England

Deputy Governor of Pennsylvania and President of the Council from 1684 to 1693. He was a graduate of Jesus College, Oxford and had studied medicine.

Ref: "Colonial & Revolutionary Families of PA", John W. Jordan, Vol. 1, 1911, GPC 1978 reprint

Thomas Lloyd, son of Governor Thomas and Mary (Jones) Lloyd, born in Great Britain, September 15, 1675, was a merchant of Goodmansfield, London, and died there prior to 12 mo. 17, 1717, at which date his widow obtained a certificate from London Meeting to Philadelphia. She was Sarah Young, born November 2, 1676, and died in Philadelphia.

Children of THOMAS LLOYD and SARAH YOUNG are:

4. i. THOMAS6 LLOYD, b. London, England; d. May 4, 1754.

ii. PETER LLOYD, b. London, England; d. February 16, 1744/45; m. MERCY MASTERS, 1729.

iii. MARY LLOYD, d. September 17, 1775.

iv. JOHN LLOYD, d. s.p., Philadelphia.

v. MORDECAI LLOYD, b. September 6, 1708; m. HANNAH FISHBOURNE.


vii. CHARLES LLOYD, d. June 8, 1745.

3. ELIZABETH5 LLOYD (THOMAS4, CHARLES3, JOHN2, DAFYDD1 LLWYD) was born March 1, 1676/77, and died July 22, 1704. She married DANIEL ZACHARY April 9, 1700.


i. LLOYD6 ZACHARY, b. 1701.

Generation No. 3

4. THOMAS6 LLOYD (THOMAS5, THOMAS4, CHARLES3, JOHN2, DAFYDD1 LLWYD) was born in London, England, and died May 4, 1754. He married SUSANNA KEARNEY December 23, 1734 in Philadelphia Monthly Meeting, daughter of PHILLIP KEARNEY.


of Philadelphia, PA

Ref: "Colonial & Revolutionary Families of PA", John W. Jordan, Vol. 1, 1911, GPC 1978 reprint

Thomas Lloyd, second son of Thomas and Sarah (Young)Lloyd, born in London England, Came to Phgiladelphia with his mother, in 1718, married, 12mo. 23, 1734, at Philadelphia Monthly Meeting, Susannah, widow of Dr. Edward Owen and daughter of Philip Kearney, of Philadelphia, by his wife, Rebecca daughter of Lionel Britain, who came from Almy, Bucks county, England, and settled in Bucks county in 1680, removing later to Philadelphia, where he died in 1721. thomas Lloyd was a prominent merchant of Philadelphia, and died there, May 4, 1754.



ii. SARAH LLOYD, d. August 9, 1788; m. WILLIAM MOORE, December 13, 1757.


Generation No. 4



For more info. about Nicholas Lloyd see notes of John Lloyd

One source has middle name as Waland

of Philadelphia

Married Sarah Harper of Alexandria against everybody's wishes. He was "dissipated"


6. i. JOHN8 LLOYD, b. November 16, 1775, Alexandria, VA; d. July 22, 1854, Alexandria, VA.

Generation No. 5

6. JOHN8 LLOYD (NICHOLAS WALN7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4, CHARLES3, JOHN2, DAFYDD1 LLWYD) was born November 16, 1775 in Alexandria, VA, and died July 22, 1854 in Alexandria, VA. He married (1) REBECCA JANNEY November 30, 1798, daughter of JOSEPH JANNEY and HANNAH JONES. He married (2) ANNE HARRIOTTE LEE November 2, 1820 in Ellersley, Loudoun County, VA, daughter of EDMUND LEE and SARAH LEE.


This comes from, "A Profile of JOHN LLOYD - - Alexandria Merchant and Businessman", 1775-1854; T. Michael Miller, Alexandria Library, Lloyd House, June 1984.


Born on the 16th of November, 1775, John Lloyd was the only son of Nicolas Warne Lloyd and Sarah harper of Philadelphia.(1) His maternal grandfather was the famous Capt. John Harper (1728-1804) of Revolutionary war fame. Capt. Harper, a Quaker, who was born in Philadelphia in 1728 was married twice. His first wife was Sarah Wells of Pennsylvania by whom he had 20 children. Upon her death, Mary Cunningham, a widow and daughter of John Reynolds of Winchester became his spouse. By her, he had nine children. It is thought that Capt. Harper was residing in Alexandria by 1773. Insurance records definitely place him at 209 Prince Street in 1796. Although a Quaker, Capt. Harper was instrumental in securing gunpowder from Philadelphia for the Prince William and Fairfax County militias during the revolution. After the war, he carried on an extensive merchantile and trading business at his wharf at Prince and Union Street. He later constructed a large number of homes for many of his children on the north side of the 100 block of Prince Street commonly referred to as Captain's row. Capt. Harper died in 1804, age seventy-six and was buried in the Old Presbyterian Metting House cemetery.(2)

On his paternal side, John Lloyd's ancestory can be traced back to Edward the First, King of England (1239-1307). His great-great grandfather, was Thomas Lloyd (b. 1640; d. 1694) Deputy Governor of Pennsylvania and President of the Council from 1684 to 1693. He was a graduate of Jesus College, Oxford and had studied medicine.(3)

John's grandfather, Thomas Lloyd (d. 1754) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania married Susanna Owen, widow of Dr. Edward Owen on May 31, 1734.(4) They had a son named Nicholas Waland Lloyd who was John Lloyd's father. Nicholas was dropped from the Society of Friends for marrying out of the Meeting and removed to Baltimore, Maryland. (5) Little else is known about Nicholas or his life in Philadelphia or Baltimore. He married Sarah Harper, a daughter of Capt. John Harper and family tradition states that Lloyd was "dissipated". Their union did not have the blessing of the Harper family. As an only child, John Lloyd's parents died when he was young and he was raised by his grandfather, Capt. John Harper, a stern disciplanarian. Harper supposedly never forgave his daughter for running away with Nicholas Lloyd and thus never spoke to John about his father's background.


John Lloyd, as a charge of his grandfather, must have been familiar with the sights and sounds of the busy seaport of Alexandria in the 1770's and 80's. No doubt, he was influenced by his grandfather's business acumen and insight.

Lloyd first emerges from the shadowy pages of the past as an entry in the 1796 Alexandria tax records.(6) This document asserts that he rented a lot on Duke Street from Joseph Coleman that year. In 1797, John Lloyd advertised in the "Alexandria Advertiser Times" for a runaway apprentice:

3 Pence Reward

Ran Away from the subscriber, on the 8th instant an apprentice boy, named John Hilliar; about 14 years of age: his parents live in or near Leesburg, and it is supposed that he is not far from them. The above reward will be given for him without thanks.(7)

On November 30, 1798, John married Rebecca Janney, daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Jones) Janney of Pennsylvania. She was born in Alexandria on August 14, 1776.(8) As a result of marrying out side her religion, Rebecca was dismissed form the Fairfax Quaker Assembly on May 25, 1799 but was later re-instated on September 23, 1809.(9) During their nineteen years of marriage, John and Rebecca sired eight children. These included the following offspring:

Nicholas Waln Lloyd, born: 28 October 1801; died young.

Horatio Nelson Lloyd, born: 2 January 1804. died unmarried in Mississippi, 13 March 1860

Selina Lloyd, Born: 30 September 1807; died: 4 August 1871; married 28 September 1830,Charles Levin Powell - 7 children

Alfred Lloyd, born: 1811, died: age one year

Richard Henry Lloyd, born: 15 July 1815; died: 24 February 1883; married (1) Mary Fife - one child, married (2) Elizabeth Jenkins, 5 children - Home - "Balmont", Now St. Agnes School.

Frederick Lloyd, born: October 1817; died: 28 November, 1868; merried 1852 - Lucy Lee Powell, daughter of Alfred Harrison Powell - no issue.

(Notes of Mahlon Hopkins Janney, 1812 K street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20006, 1956. 28 August 1966, age 85; son of Mahlon Hopkins & ... Jameson Janney. Buried St. Paul's Cemetery, Alexandria, Virginia.

*Children of John Janney and Eliza Armistead Selden Lloyd

Mary Bowles - died young

Rebecca Janney married Rev. Henry Melville Jackson - one son - died young

John Janney Lloyd, Jr. - married Ella Hubard - 5 children

Nellie Selden Lloyd, born: 3 March 1853, died: 15 March 1931; married August 8, 1876, George Uhler, born: 9 January 1849; died: 11 December 1925. They had Katharine Griffith, John Lloyd**, and Nellie Selden Uhler**

Eliza Fontaine Lloyd, married: (1) Rowland D. Burks - daughter Eliza Fontaine Lloyd, (2) Clarence Woolfolk - son, clarence Alexander Woolfolk, married: Zoe ..., no issue.

Arthur Selden Lloyd, married: 30 June 1880, Elizabeth Robertson Blackford, died: March 1932; He was born at "Mt. Ida," Alexandria County, Virginia 3 May 1857, died: 22 July 1936 at Stanford, County. There were six children: Arthur - died young, Mary robertson married Rev. Edmund Pendleton Dandridge - 2 children, Elizabeth and Edmund: Elizabeth Blackford married Charles j. Symington, died: 5 November 1958, - 4 children: Gay Blackford married Rev. Churchill Gibson in 1913, was born 1888, died: 5 October 1960 - 4 children: John died: 1922 of World War I wounds, unmarried; Rebecca married Gavin Hadden - he died 195_, she 7 December 1964, issue 5 children.

**Eliza Armistead Selden Uhler married Thomas anderson Sommers - issue 2; son & Rebecca Lloyd Uhler married Charles Calvert Smoot, III, issue 4; 3 daughters & 1 son - John Lloyd Uhler married Bertha Marr Stevenson - issue 1 daughter - died young; Katherine Griffith Uhler - unmarried.

(Ref. Seldens of Virginia and Allied Families, mary Selden Kennedy, 1911 - 2 Volumes - Frank Allaben Gen. Co. and Obit. notices)

Rebecca LLoyd died in 1819 and was interred in Christ Church cemetery off Wilkes Street. One year - later John married into the famous Lee family of Virginia. His bride was Ann harriott Lee, eldest daughter of Edmund Lee, lawyer and former mayor of Alexandria. They were married at Ellersley, Loudoun, County, Virginia by Rev. Norris on November 9, 1820.(10) Anne Harriott was born March 6, 1799, and was the first cousin of Robert E. Lee. John Lloyd had six children by Ann and they were:

Edmund Jennings Lloyd - born; August 27, 1822; died: October 1, 1889. According to the 1880 census Edmund owned the Lloyd House during that time frame. he never married and his occupation is listed as "gentleman."


"...He was a captain in the commissary department of the Confederate service during the war." (Civil War) Alexandria Gazette, 10/2/1889, p. 3.

Rebecca Lloyd - born: June 7, 1824; died: July 17, 1873. She married Dr. John Prosser Tabb of Gloucester county, Virginia and had 5 children: John, Matilda Prosser, John Lloyd, John Prosser, and Rebecca Lloyd Tabb.

Anne Harriotte - Born: January 7, 1826; died: June 23, 1888. Anne married the Rev. John Stearns and had four children: Mary who married William Hoge; John, Rebecca, who married William Hastings; and Lawrence Stearns. Recently, Mrs. Byron White donated som 700 letters of Anne Harriotte Stearns to the Lloyd House manuscript collection. (1984)

George Francis Lloyd - born: October 28, 1828; died: October 1866. He married Mary Pindle Hammond and sired three children: Nelson, who married a Miss Morris; Nannie, who married Robert Hare Delafield; Francis Frederick, who married a Miss Taylor.

Jean Charlotte Washington Lloyd* - born: 1842; died: ? She married Capt. Philip Tabb yeatman, C.S.S., in 1867. Yeatman was living at 220 N. Washington Street (Lloyd House) in 1895-96 according to Richmond's Alexandria Directory. He was a captain in the 26th Virginia Infantry (Wise's Brigade) during the Civil War. Yeatman was born November 28, 1829 and died March 18, 1897. Interment took place in christ Church Cemetery. After the Civil War, Philip was a clerk with an unidentified company in Alexandria. During the Yeatman occupancy of the Lloyd House, the United Daughters of the Confederacy was formed there in 1895. Jean Charlotte Yeatman must have been one of its charter members.

Mary Lee Lloyd* - born: 18__; died: 19__, Mary Lloyd was probably the last member of the family to occupy 220 N. Washington Street and the last member of the Lee family to reside in the structure.

(The above material is liberally quoted from E.J. Lee, "Lees of Virginia", P. 381. *Indicates the members of the Lloyd family probably born at 220 North Washington Street.)


During his lifetime, John Lloyd resided in several Alexandria locales. Tax records and newspaper advertisements are useful tools in determining many of these sites.

In 1797, Lloyd is listed as renting a house and office from Jacob Leah valued at $400.(11) From 1801 to 1821, insurance maps and tax assessment records place him on South Fairfax Street approximately where the current Burke and Herbert parking lot is now situated. He first rented and later purchased several buildings on the 100 block of South Fairfax Street. these included a three story dwelling house, warehouse, carriage house and stable. (See Appendix A) Initially these structures belonged to Eleanor Doll and George Cooke. They owed John Lloyd $100, 000 which they failed to pay. On the 20th of December 1815, lloyd purchased the above mentioned structures for $5,000 on an unexpired lease from the Bank of the Potomac. In 1826, many of these buildings were put up for sale:

Public Sale

On Monday the first day of January next, at 10 o'clock A.M. the subscriber will offer at Public Sale, on the premises, that valuable

Lot of Ground and Improvements

Fronting on Fairfax and Water streets, between King and Prince streets, now in the tenure of Wm. F. Thornton, and lately occupied by John Lloyd. The lot fronts on Fairfax and Water streets 26 feet 5 inches on the former and 24 feet nine inches on the later. It extends northwardly to Swift's Alley on which it binds 60 feet.

The improvements consist of a three story Brick Dwelling House and Store on Fairfax Street, a Brick Stable and Carriage House, and a three story Brick Warehouse on the Alley.

The above sale will be made under the authority of a deed of trust from Geo. Janney to the subscriber.

Terms cash.

R.J. Taylor, Trustee(13)

609 Oronoko Street - 1821 - 1823

Just after John Lloyd married Anne Harriott Lee, He and his new bride moved into this Lee home. Formerly it had been owned by John Hopkins, Richmond banker, who married Cornelia Lee, daughter of William Lee of Greenspring. No doubt, Harriott wanted to be close to her Lee relatives on the corner - her father, Edmund J. Lee resided across the street at 428 North Washington Street; the Kendalls who were her cousins lived at 429 North Washington Street (Lee-Fendall House) and Robert E. Lee and his mother Ann rented 607 Oronoko.

It is not positively known where John Lloyd domiciled from 1823 until 1833. Possibly, he lived at Salisbury, his farm in Fairfax County. (see page 13). In 1832, however, he bought the dwelling at 220 North Washington Street.

220 North Washington Street

Upon the death of the widow Hooe, 220 North Washington Street was auctioned off. Benjamin Hallowell, Quaker schoolmaster, had previously conducted a school there. He had hoped to purchase the property but was outbid by John Lloyd who paid $3,450 for the site.(14) In a 1832 real estate advertisement, the house was described as "a spacious brick dwelling now occupied and used as the 'Alexandria Boarding School' by B. Hallowell."(15) The residence was not formally conveyed to Lloyd until March 11, 1835. For the next 19 years, he would reside here with his family until his death in 1854. The home would remain in the Lloyd family until 1918.


Unfortunately, there is not available a wealth of information to flesh out the character of John Lloyd. A guage of his civic mindedness, however, can be measured by the number of social organizations in which he participated.


The February 27, 1819, edition of the Alexandria Gazett mentioned that John Lloyd was a member of the Washington Society. This association was formed in 1800 shortly after the death of George Washington. composed of some of the most influencial patricians of Alexandria, its goals were to perpetuate the memory of the America's first President and to raise funds for the Washington Free school. Each year on the 22nd of February and the 4th of July, the society would lead a parade to the Presbyterian church for an edifying oration. Then after the speech, the membership would retire to a tavern for festivities. Notable orators who spoke before the society included: Richard Bland Lee, Francis Scott Key, Chief Justice John Marshall.(16) Other members included: William Fitzhugh, Dr. E.C. Dick, Wm. Herbert, Jacob Hoffman, Anthony C.Cazenove, Edmund J. Lee, Lewis Hipkins, Philip R. Fendall, Geo. Washington Parke custis, General Light Horse Harry Lee, John Marshall.


Established in 1786, the Alexandria Academy was a seminal keystone in the educational heritage of Alexandria. It is located on the southside of the 600 block of Wolfe Street. Three stories high, the first contained the English school, the second, the language school and on the third was situated the Free School established by George Washington's annual contribution of L 50. Robert E. Lee as well as the renown artist John Gadsby Chapman attended school in this building. It later reverted to private hands circa 1853 when Edward Powell bought it. The school is thought to have been the oldest free school established in Virginia, if not the United States. John Lloyd was a trustee of this venerable Alexandria institution in 1833(17). It is obviously that Lloyd was concerned with the quality of education in the community and tried to assist the underpriviledged.


Although John Lloyd was civic minded, it was also necessary for him to provide food, clothing, shelter and to manage the financial affairs of his family. To this end, he was constantly engaged in several business enterprises during his lifetime.

The 1799 Alexandria city census listed his occupation in that year as a "hatter" who had 3 apprentices working for him.(18) Perhaps, his shop was situated in the complex of buildings he rented on South Fairfax Street. Later, he expanded his commercial activities and became a full fledge commercial merchant. In November, 1807, he ran the following advertisement in the Gazette:


has received from the William and John and the George from Liverpool a general assortment of


Which are for sale on the usual terms.(19)

Later, in 1816, it was reported that John Lloyd:

Offers for sale by the piece or package, a general and well selected assortment of seasonable


imported by the latest arrival, in well assorted packages and will be at the unusual low advance, and on credit.(20)

Besides being a commercial merchant, Lloyd was also engaged in other business affairs. For instance in 1824, 1825, and 1827, he was elected one of the directors of the bank of the Potomac.(21) Established in 1804, this was the second bank to be organized in Alexandria and the Dirstict of Columbia. It was headquartered in a beautiful four story brick structure located at 415 Prince Street. When foreign trade was high in Alexandria, this bank met a real need for capital.

Like many wealthy Alexandria merchants, John Lloyd owned extensive tracts of real estate both in and outside of town. One transaction which involved five houses on the east side of South Washington Street is particulary noteworthy because these group of buildings still bear the appellation "Lloyd's Row." the history of this row can be traced to June 26, 1814, when Jonathan Scholfield, merchand, indemnified Andrew Scholfield, lumber merchant, against the responsibility for endorsing several notes of the firm Scholfield and Scott. In order to accomplish this, Jonathan conveyed to Robert J. Taylor, a prominant Alexandria lawyer, in TRUST, a lot of ground on the North side of Duke and on the East side of the 200 block of South Washington Street containing 5, 3 story brick tenements.(22) Taylor auctioned off the properties to Lloyd on October 1816. Scholfield was also indebted to John Lloyd for a sum of $18,000. In a deed signed on May 1, 1816, Lloyd agreed to assume Scholfields $14,325.95 debt at the Union Bank together with a note for $4,105.03. In turn, Scholfield conveyed to him 2,633 shares of stock in the bank to cover the assumption.(23) After Scholfield defaulted, Lloyd purchased the 5 brick houses from Robert J. Taylor on October 29, 1816: 3 tenements for $1,625; middle tenement for $825 and the most southern tenement at $1,936. These houses remained in the Lloyd family for many years and were rented to a variety of individuals. An assortment of real estate advertisements concerning them from the "Alexandria Gazette" appear below:


A commodious 3 story brick dwelling house on Washington street lately occupied by Mr. John Jackson...

J. Lloyd Gazette 1/1/1820

...The 3 story brick House on Washington street, a pleasant and healthy situation at present occupied by Mrs. Jacobs.

Gazette 9/21/1827, p.2.

The dwelling houses, lately occupied by Mr. James C. Berry and Mr. Jonathan Janney, a pleasant and healthy situation on Washington street.

Gazette 5/21/1828, p. 3.

The three story brick dewlling house on Washington street, at present occupied by Mr. Caruisi.

Gazette 10/13/1831


The building lately occupied by Mrs. Porter as a Boarding School for young ladies at the intersection of Washington and Duke streets which from their locality and arrangement are considered admirably adapted for the purpose. Should they not shortly be taken together they will be rented separately. ...

John Lloyd Gazette 8/12/1834, p. 3

...Two or three of the 3 story brick dwelling houses in the row, on Washington street will be rented immediately . . .

Gazette 5/25/1840, p. 3


The 2 and 3 story brick dwelling houses on Washington street near the Lyceum, lately occupied by Mr. John Douglass and Mr. E.S. Hough.

Gazette 11/12/1844, p. 3


The house on Washington Street in Lloyd's Row, now occupied by Mr. Perry. ...

Gazette 2/28/1854, p. 3.

Lloyd's Row almost went up in flames in 1852 when a young white girl set fire to one of the dwellings on the block. It was reported that:

An attempt was made yesterday to fire one of the block of buildings on Washington Street, known as Lloyd's Row. The fire was kindled in the cellar of the house, so as to communicate with the wood, but was fortunately discovered before it made much progress.(24)

A small white girl, employed as a domestic in a family, in town, has within the last few days, confessed to the perpetration of a number of pretty larcencies, in the house where she is employed - stealing rings, small sums of money, and finally ended in making the attempt to set fire to the dwelling in Lloyd's row, to which reference was made a day or two ago. The girl had false keys, and represents that she was induced to commence her depredations by communications with the gypsies who recently passed through this place.(25)

Indebted to William Fowle for $2,040 in 1838, Lloyd pledged one of the houses on the row as security. If he had failed to pay off his incumbrance, the property could have been sold at public auction.(26) Since it wasn't, it is an indicaction that the debt was paid.


Another historic property which John Lloyd owned and rented was the Carlyle House. John Carlyle was a prominent Scottish merchant, trustee and early founder of the town of Alexandria. he started construction of this lovely Georgian Mansion on North Fairfax Street between Cameron and King in 1750. Long a town landmark, the Carlyle House has been associated with many important events in Alexandria's history. Most notable was the meeting of Royal Governors and General Edward Braddock who met there in 1755 to plan the campaign against the French in the Ohio valley. By 1780, the home had been inherited by Carlyle's grandson John Carlyle Herbert. He later removed to Maryland and the structure and grounds were conveyed to a group of Alexandria businessmen to repay a debt owed by Herbert's brother - Thomas. (27) One of these businessmen was John Lloyd.

On April 8, 1831, Lloyd sold the dwelling house and other structures on the property to Orlando morse for $2,300. the deed read:

...Beginning on Fairfax Street at the house formerly occupied by Wm. Herbert as an office thence South on Fairfax Street to the said house formerly occupied by Herbert as a kitchen. ....

Morse owed Lloyd several thousand dollars and he immediately placed the house in a trust held by Edmund J. Lee and R.J. Taylor in order to cover the debt.(29) Apparently, Morse was unable to fulfill his financial obligation because the property reverted back to John Lloyd on June 25, 1834. (30)

As early as December 1833, however, Lloyd had been trying to rent or sell the Carlyle House:


...The commodious Stone Dwelling House on Fairfax street, near the Bank of Alexandria, formerly the residence of William Herbert, Esq. The House last mentioned, with the large and valuable lot, will be sold on reasonable terms. ...

Not successful in selling the property, Lloyd offered the structure as a possible site for the new city and county courthouse to be constructed in Alexandria in 1838. this proposal was rejected and Lloyd continued to lease the premises to a number of renters until it was sold to James Green, a noted Alexandria furniture manufacture, in 1848.(32)


Planned and incorporated in 1808 by Alexandria merchants, this turnpike was constructed as an all weather road between Alexandria and farmland in Fauquier and Culpeper county. It was completed in December 1827 at approximately $2,000 a mile but failed to make a profit for its investors. The Virginia State Board of Public Works authorized $30,000 to be raised by a lottery in 1828 for improvements and repairs. John Lloyd was a director of the turnpike Company as early as February 1825 and continued to serve in that capacity as least until 1832.(33)


To provide foodstuffs and agricultural produce for his family, John Lloyd owned several farms in Fairfax County. One of these was called Salisbury and was located on the "old road from Alexandria to Aldie and (was) about equidistant (2 miles) from the Little River Turnpike and Fauquier Turnpike roads."(34) When the Salisbury farm was offered for sale in 1827, a thorough description of the estate was enclosed:


A valuable farm of 1300 acres, 8 miles from Alexandria Georgetown and Washington, in a pleasant neighborhood in the upper part of Fairfax County Virginia.

Nearly one half of this tract is in wood, the remainder is cleared and well fenced, and the last two years sufficiently demonstrate, that by the use of plaster, is susceptible of great and rapid improvement. The land is admirably adapted for grass, is well watered and unusually healthy. About 100 acres of meadow land are now cleared, and as much more, at least, remains to be cleared. The Orchards are very large, young and productive.

There is a commodious dwelling House, with a large Garden, Dairy, Ice House, and every other necessary out building; together with a Pump, affording delightful water, and a never failing Spring. The Stables are extensive, the Barn capacious, and the Cyder House with a complete cyder mill and screw press, substantially made and conveniently arranged. The whole is in a good state of repair.

The farm is abundantly stocked with horses, oxen, hogs, cattle and sheep - the last constisting of a flock of about 300, mostly marionoes; wagons, carts, and every impliment of husbandry necessary for its cultivation.

... I have also several small Farms, within 10 or 12 miles of Alexandria, Geogretown, or Washington, on the Little River Turnpike Road, which would be rented to suitable tenants for a number of years on accomodating terms.


Salisbury, 5th April, 1827. (35)

No doubt, Salisbury, would have also served as a lovely retreat for the Lloyd family during the hot, torpid Virginia summers. Perhaps, Lloyd resided here from 1824 to 1832. its close proximity to the Fauquier Turnpike would have been extremely advantagous for him to ship vegetables and cereal grains to the prot of Alexandria. As a director of the Fauguier Turnpike Company, he was in a key position to see that the road adjacent to Salisbury was properly maintained.


During the tragic fire of 1827 which destroyed over $100,000 worth of real estate in Alexandria, John Lloyd lost several commercial buildings, Noticable were: "a frame house occupied by Mr. Laughlin Masters as shoemaker; a frame warehouse owned jointly with Mordecai Miller and occupied by George Hill, tinner and coppersmith;... A two story frame house...occupied by Richard Horwell, suspender manufacture."(36) Many of these structures were located on Prince and Fairfax Streets where the most extensive damage occured. Fortunately, several of the buildings were insured.

1799 Census says he was a hatter


After a long and prosperous life, John Lloyd died on July 22, 1854. In his will he directed that all his debts be paid and be bequeathed all his estate, real and personal to wife Anne Harriott. This was to be utilized for her support and that of Jane or Mary while they remained unmarried. If Anne remarried his estate would be divided into as "Many equal parts as may be necessary... two of said parts to Edmund J. Lee of Shepherdstown, Virginia to be held in trust for the use of Anne (Lloyd) wife of Rev. J. Stearns..."

"Two other equal parts were devised to Jane, and two equal parts to Mary Lloyd ..."

After John Lloyd's death, Anne, his wife, continued to reside at Lloyd House, 220 North Washington Street until the early 1860's when the Civil War forced her to emigrate to Gloucester Virginia where she died on September 9, 1863, at the home of Dr. John P. Tabb after a brief illness of two days. Her body was returned to Alexandria after the Civil War and interred beside that of her beloved husband in Christ Church cemetery on Wilkes Street. Lloyd House remained in the family until 1918.


Children of JOHN LLOYD and REBECCA JANNEY are:


ii. JOHN JANNEY LLOYD, b. March 8, 1800; d. May 22, 1871, Alexandria, VA; m. ELIZA ARMISTEAD SELDEN, October 16, 1845.

iii. SELINA LLOYD, b. September 30, 1808; d. August 4, 1871; m. CHARLES LEVEN POWELL, September 28, 1830.

iv. RICHARD HENRY LLOYD, b. July 15, 1815; d. February 24, 1883; m. (1) MARY FIFE; m. (2) ELIZABETH JENKINS.

v. FREDERICK LLOYD, b. October 1817; d. November 28, 1868; m. LUCY LEE POWELL.

vi. NICHOLAS WALN LLOYD, b. October 28, 1801; d. Died young.

vii. HORATIO NELSON LLOYD, b. January 2, 1804; d. March 13, 1860, Mississippi.

viii. ALFRED LLOYD, b. September 1811; d. 1812, Died age one year.

Children of JOHN LLOYD and ANNE LEE are:




xii. EDMUND JENNINGS LLOYD, b. August 27, 1822; d. October 1, 1889.

xiii. REBECCA LLOYD, b. June 7, 1824; d. July 17, 1873; m. JOHN PROSSER TABB, May 2, 1844.

xiv. ANN HARRIOTTE LLOYD, b. January 7, 1826; d. June 23, 1888; m. JOHN STEARNS, July 19, 1848.

xv. GEORGE FRANCIS LLOYD, b. October 28, 1828; d. October 1, 1866; m. MARY PINDLE HAMMOND.
xvii. MARY LEE LLOYD, b. July 23, 1835.