Situated in the northwestern part of the township is the pleasant little village of Longwood, with 125 inhabitants. From this place the township takes its name. It has several stores, shops, Church buildings and a good school. Mail is received daily from Sedalia. The town has no railroad, but had it one giving rapid communication with its neighboring towns, it would be one of the most pleasant little place in which to make a home, that it has been the writer's privilege to visit. It is just at the edge of a splendid stretch of timber, and on high, rolling ground, and everything in the way of pleasant scenery round it to make it attractive.
Its business men are: W. E. Taylor, J. W. Currey, A. H. O'Rear, E. D. O'Rear, W. H. Nichols, William Hoffman, W. M. Hoffman, Dr. J. D. Prowell, D. F. Settles, T. J. Armstrong, F. M. Chaney, H. S. Patterson, Ferry Patterson, C. W. Swope, O. D. Jenkins, Rev. Lenox Crockett, Rev. H. C. Green and Grover Thomas.
Longwood has one bank and it is in flourishing condition. The Bank of Longwood was organized in 1910 and opened its doors for business in April of that year. R. N. Lower is president; Clement Jones, vice-president, and E. D. ORear is cashier. Mrs. Louise ORear is assistant cashier. This institution has a capital stock of $10,000, deposits of $150,000 with surplus and profits of $14,918. Its board of directors consists of the following gentlemen: R. N. Lower, Frank Hieronymus, W. E. Taylor, T. J. Raines, Clement Jones, E. D. ORear and J. B. Greer.
(History of Pettis County Missouri by Mark A McGruder 1919)
Back to the Pettis County, MO Town History Page