"Old Town" or "West Side"
(Click Here to go to All Headstone Pictures Online)
Grave location may help in finding family members with different last names.
The 1362 headstones at this cemetery were last updated in November of 1999.
West Bridgeport or Old Town Cemetery is located to the West of Bridgeport out hwy 920 past the Acme Brick Plant. It's at the end of CR 3410 right next to the Bridgeport Riding Club Arena.
Pictures of all headstones are
available to be emailed. Please -
Click here to request
The text of the Historical Marker for Old Town Bridgeport follows:
When Butterfield overland mail
traversed this area (1858-61) on St. Louis to San Francisco route, a crossing over West
Fork of the Trinity was a necessity. Col. W.H. Hunt on Feb 11, 1860, obtained a charter
and built a toll bridge here (50 yds. w). The overland mail ceased operating as Civil War
began. The bridge soon collapsed. However, a settlement had begun here, and in 1873
Charles Cates, a Decatur merchant, spanned the river with an iron bridge.