Duncan research files of
The area covered by old Colleton District SC, taken in part from "Counties in SC," typed pages from file of Leonardo Andrea, SC genealogist (FHL film 954,248, and from Louis Boone)
According to Leonardo Andrea, Colleton County was a Colonial County; the records are in Charleston Co. Courthouse, and some in the Historical Commission in Columbia.
The boundaries of Colleton County began with the present county of Colleton and followed up on the east side of old Granville to the N.C. Line by the survey. It however did not go that far up and petered out in what is now Anderson County near the town of Pelzer. This county was in a sort of form of a triangle. On its east side it was supposed to follow down the Saluda River to about where Lake Murray is and from there to jump in a straight line to the Edisto River and on down that river to the sea. The following counties were in old Colleton.
Greenwood, east half
Small portion of Beaufort
Small portion of Charleston
Small portion of Orangeburg
Small portion of Anderson
West part of Lexington
Portion of Abbeville
SC Land Plats 1688-1787, Index (FHL film 22,598)
Name, location, No. of Acres, volume, page, date
Duncan, George, Colleton, 300 acres, 14-491, 25 Feb. 1775 (1773?)
SC Land Plats (FHL film 22,607)
14-491: Receipt 2 Feb. 1773, laid out to John Gilson, 300 acres in Colleton Co. on Savannah River, bounded by ... Drewry? Pace, Zachariah White. Surveyed 25 Feb. 1773; cert. 9 Sept. 1774 for George Duncan.
SC Memorials, Index (Land) (FHL film 23,297)
Name, location, No. of acres, volume-page, date
Duncan, George, Colleton, 300 acres, 13-421, 28 March 1773
Index to South Carolina Royal Land Grants, A-K (FHL film 22,581)
(Location in parentheses below was added in small handwriting near the name columns, apparently at a later date)
Duncan, George, (San R.), Col, 300 acres, 33-418, 16 Sept. 1774
SC Royal Land Grants (FHL film 22,596)
33-418: 16 Sept. 1774, to George Duncan, 300 acres in Colleton Co., on Savannah River, bounding SE on land held by Drury Pace and vacant land, NW by land held by Zachariah White, SW by Savannah River, other sides vacant; plat certified 9 Sept. 1774.
Charleston Dist. SC Deeds (FHL film 23,548)
O4-44/45: Lease & Release, 21/22 Sept. 1774, George Duncan Gent. of SC to John Mills of Charles Town, Messinger of His Majesty's Honourable Council of the Province, lease for 5 sh. and release for £500, 300 acres in Colleton Co. on Savannah River adj. Drewry Pace and Zachoriah White; wit. William Russell, Robt. Crabb.
There are references to Duncans in old Colleton Co. SC in the following:
"Citizens and Immigrants, SC, 1768" by Mary B. Warren, pg.207, which includes Quit Rents, the Memorial Books of the Auditor General, including Richard Latham, 100 acres Colleton Co. on Little Saltcatcher Cr., Survey Cert. 28 Sept. 1767, granted 13 May 1768; Quit Rent begins 10 years; David Duncan for the memorialist. (from Evelyn Sigler 8/1983) (FHL book 975.7 N28w, 2nd ed.)
"Abstracts of the Wills of SC, 1740-1760" by Caroline T. Moore, Vol.2, pgs.74 and 98, which includes Will Book 1747-1752, will of James Berrie dated 27 April 1747 witnessed by John Duncan; and will of John Splatt dated 16 Oct. 1749 which mentioned among other things, land to go to his son Edward which was a plantation in St. Paul's Parish next to Edward Hext, Ezekiel Branford, Christopher Peter, and the Pon Pon River, 1/5 part of 800 acres purchased of Elizah. and John Duncan (her husband). (FHL book 975.7 P2m)
Return to Index to Duncan Research Files in South Carolina
Return to The Genealogy Bug's Home Page