James And Alice Beaty
James Beaty was born in Glenobey, Tennessee, June 13, 1876. He was the son of Balaam
Beaty and Louisa Choate Beaty. James' brothers and sisters were John Beaty, Hige Beaty,
Mary Jane Bowden and Dinah Young.
James was married to Alice E. Rogers who was born at Tinch, Tennessee on August 27, 1890.
She was the daughter of Robert Henry Rogers and Sarah Melinda Stowers Rogers. Alice's
brothers and sisters were Harris Rogers, Lula Could, Elda Rogers, Lola Ramsey, Belie
Hubbard, Orville Rogers, and Manda Hall.
James and Alice were married on March 10,1918 at Banner Springs, Tennessee. Their children
are Blanche Beaty, Lucille Beaty, Wilma B. Cravens, Ruth Cunningham, James (Sonny) Beaty
and Donald Dean Beaty. Blanche, after a teaching career of 36 years in the Fentress and
Hamilton County school systems, retired in 1977 and now lives in Crimsley. Lucille, who
also lives in Grimsley, retired from the Federal Civil Service in Washington, D.C., in
1980. She is also a retired school teacher, having taught at the Clarkrange High School
for several years. Wilma lives in Crimsley, and Ruth lives in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Both James (Sonny) and Donald Dean are deceased. Donald D. died as an infant. James
(Sonny) prior to his death in May 1981, had been a merchant in Grimsley since 1945 at
which time he took over the James Beaty Grocery. He was married to the former Brenda
Potter of Jamestown, and they had one daughter, Melissa. Both Brenda and Melissa live in
James and Alice both taught school before their marriage, and both were members of the
Crimsley Methodist Church. They were one of the earliest families to settle in Grimsley.
James established a general merchandise store (later known as the James Beaty Grocery) in
Grimsley in 1915, after moving over to the main highway from "Old Grimsley."
Along with storekeeping and farming, he was also postmaster in Grimsley for many years at
a time when the mail was carried through on horseback. He was instrumental in helping to
establish the first church in Grimsley, donating the land for construction of the
James died April 26, 1945. Alice passed away March 4, 1986. Both are buried in the
Methodist Church cemetery.
by Lucille B. Beaty