Winder Wonderland DNA Project John Rex WINDER [13079]
arrow arrow
WINDER, Richard [13070]
SHERWOOD, Ann [13071]
(Cir 1758-1797)
WINDER, Richard [10897]
COLLINS, Sophia [10898]
WINDER, John Rex [13079]


Family Links

1. WALTERS, Ellen [10894]

2. PARKER, Elizabeth [10896]
3. THOMPSON, Hannah Ballantyne [13102]
4. BURNHAM, Maria [13106]

WINDER, John Rex [13079] 1 2

  • Born: 11 Dec 1821, , Biddenden, Kent, England
  • Marriage (1): WALTERS, Ellen [10894] on 24 Nov 1845 in , London, Middlesex, England 1
  • Marriage (2): PARKER, Elizabeth [10896] on 11 Jan 1857 in Salt Lake City, Greater Salt Lake, Deseret, USA
  • Marriage (3): THOMPSON, Hannah Ballantyne [13102] on 30 Sep 1855 in Salt Lake City, Greater Salt Lake, Deseret, USA 1
  • Marriage (4): BURNHAM, Maria [13106] on 27 Oct 1893 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA 1
  • Died: 27 Mar 1910, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA at age 88

bullet  General Notes:

From the LDS Biographical Encyclopedia:
Winder, John Rex, second counselor to Presiding Bishop Wm. B. Preston since 1886, was born at Biddenden, county of Kent, England, Dec. 11, 1820. He received a very limited education, and when about twenty years of age, he went to London, where he obtained a situation in a West End shoe store; he married Ellen Walters Nov. 24, 1845. Nearly two years later he went to Liverpool, where he resided the next five years. One day in July, 1848, while in the store, he picked up a small piece of paper, a fragment of a torn-up letter, on which were written the words "Latter-day Saints." He wondered what it meant, for he had never seen or heard the name before. He asked one of the clerks about it, and was told that there was a church in America by that name, that they were called Mormons, that they had a Prophet named Joseph Smith and that there was a branch of the Church that held meetings in the Music Hall, Bold Street, Liverpool. "This," says Bishop Winder, "was the first I ever heard of the Latter-day Saints or Mormons. I went to their meeting, crept up a back stairs and peeped through the banisters. Elder Orson Spencer was preaching on the first principles of the gospel. I thought he knew I was there, for every word he said, seemed to be expressly for my benefit. I began to examine into the principles taught, soon became convinced of their truth and was baptized Sept. 20, 1848, by Elder Thomas D. Brown. On the 15th of the following month my wife was baptized by Apostle Orson Pratt. We were associated with the Liverpool branch until February, 1853, when we left for Salt Lake City, sailing on the ship 'Elvira Owen.' We had three children living and one dead, two of the former being twin daughters, then about four months old. When about ten days out from Liverpool, I was taken down with the smallpox, having caught it from a child who brought it on board at starting and was in the next apartment of the ship. I was the first to discover it. Soon, however, five others were found to have the disease. A small house was built on deck and we were all quarantined. Thus my wife was left with her twin babes to care for, without my assistance, and this was no small task on ship-board. A few days later, in the evening about nine o'clock, Brother William Jones, a young man lying next to me, died, and in a short time the sailors took him out and cast him into the sea. As I lay there pondering over the situation, I heard the sailors say, 'we will have him next,' meaning me, I did not believe what they said. I had a living faith that I would recover and get to Zion. There were only five cases on board and only one death." Arriving at Keokuk, Iowa via New Orleans and St. Louis, Elder Winder, who had fully recovered his health, joined Joseph W. Young's company, and with his family crossed the plains, arriving at Salt Lake City on the 10th of October, 1853. Soon after his arrival there he engaged in business with Samuel Mulliner in the manufacture of saddles, boots and shoes, and also in conducting a tannery. In 1855 he entered into partnership with William Jennings, proprietor of the Meat Market Tannery and manufacturer of boots, shoes, saddles, harness, etc. He continued in this business until after the return from "The Move," in July, 1858. Prior to this he had become prominent as a military man, having joined the Nauvoo Legion in 1855. He was captain of a company of lancers, and was in Echo Canyon during the fall and winter of 1857-58, being left with fifty men to guard the canyon and its approaches after [p.245] Johnston's army had gone into winter quarters at Fort Bridger and General Wells and Colonel Burton had returned to the city. Matters having quieted down, he was relieved of vidette duty about Christmas time, Major H. S. Beatie taking his place at "Camp Weber." Soon again, however, he was in the saddle. On the 8th of March, 1858, he raised eighty-five mounted men and accompanied General George D. Grant through Tooele county and on to the Great Desert, in pursuit of a band of Indians, who had stolen a large number of horses from settlers in Tooele. The pursuing party was caught in a storm on the desert, lost the trail of the Indians and returned to Salt Lake City, soon after which Captain Winder was called with a company of men to take charge of the defenses in Echo canyon. He remained there until peace was declared. Having dissolved partnership with William Jennings, Mr. Winder formed another partnership with President Brigham Young and Feramorz Little, and built a tannery on Parley's Canyon creek. While engaged in this business, he purchased his present home, Poplar Farm, and commenced farming and stock raising, pursuits in which he has always taken great delight. When the native bark for tanning became scarce, and they were unable to compete with importations, the tanning business was suspended. During the three years—1865-67—Captain Winder was engaged in the Blackhawk Indian war in Sanpete county, part of the time as aid to General Wells, and in 1868 he collected and made up the accounts of the expenses of the war, amounting to $1,100,000. This claim was submitted to Congress by Delegate William H. Hooper, but has never yet been paid. In 1870, John R. Winder was appointed assessor and collector of Salt Lake City, which position he held for fourteen consecutive years. He served three terms in the city council, from 1872 to 1878. In 1884 he resigned as assessor and collector and was appointed water master of the city, occupying that position until April, 1877, when he retired from it to enter upon his labors as second counselor to Presiding Bishop Wm. B. Preston, to which office he was set apart on the 25th of that month, by President George Q. Cannon and Apostle Franklin D. Richards. In April, 1892, when the great Salt Lake Temple was approaching completion (the design being to finish the structure and have it ready for dedication in April, 1893, forty years from the time of its inception), Bishop Winder was given special charge of the work of completion, and discharged that duty with characteristic energy and zeal. He was a liberal donor to the fund which met the heavy expenses entailed by the work, and after the dedication was appointed and set apart, in May, 1893, as first assistant to Pres. Lorenzo Snow, in charge of the Temple. That position he still holds. During the dedication ceremonies president Joseph F. Smith referred in terms of great commendation to the faithful, persistent and efficient labors of Bishop Wintier in his superintendency of the sacred edifice, and pronounced a blessing upon him for time and all eternity. For many years prior to these later appointments, Bishop Winder held important ecclesiastical positions. In 1854 he was ordained a Seventy, and in 1855 became one of the presidents of the 12th quorum of Seventy. March 4th, 1872, he was ordained a High priest by presiding Bishop Edward Hunter and was set apart to take charge of the Fourteenth Ward, Salt Lake City, during the absence of Bishop Thomas Taylor on a mission. He subsequently acted for a season as Bishop Taylor's first counselor. In April, 1872, he became a member of the High Council of the Salt Lake Stake of Zion. In addition to the secular offices previously mentioned, he has held the following positions: Lieutenant-Colonel, First Regiment Cavalry, Nauvoo Legion; United States Gauger in the Internal Revenue Department, and a director since 1856 in the Deseret Agricultural and Manufacturing Society. He was a member of one of the early Constitutional conventions held in Utah. During the old political regime, he was for a long time chairman of the Territorial and County Central committees of the people's party. He was a director in the Utah Iron Manufacturing Company, and is now a Director in the Utah Sugar Company; also in the more recently established Ogden Sugar Company. He is president of the Deseret Investment company, a director in Z. C. M. I., in the Deseret National Bank and in the [p.246] Deseret Savings Bank. He was vice-president of the Pioneer Electric Company, and is now president and director in the Union Light and Power Company. As may well be imagined, Colonel Winder's life has been a most busy and withal a very useful one. He is a walking encyclopedia of general information on Utah affairs, much of which pertains to times fast passing beyond the memory of the oldest inhabitant. In business he is known as a "rustler." He is sensitive, quick to think, speak and act, but when not burdened with care is full of jovial good nature. Honorable in his dealings, successful in his undertakings, he is eminently a good citizen, devoted to his religion and to the general interests of the people of the State. His first wife, Mrs. Ellen Walters Winder, a faithful and amiable companion, died November 7, 1892. She was the mother of ten children, six of whom are living. On the 28th of October, 1893, Bishop Winder married his present wife, also an estimable lady, who was Miss Maria Burnham, of Fruitland, New Mexico. By a former wife, now dead, to whom he was united in marriage in 1856, he is the father of ten children, all living. At the advanced age of eighty years, Bishop Winder is in good health, active in the Performance of his duties, and seems to enjoy life as much as he did in the days of his youth and prime.—Orson F. Whitney.
View full context
Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia
Volume 3
Woodruff, Abraham Owen

Winder, John Rex. (Continued from Vol. 1: 244. ) After the death of President Lorenzo Snow, the First Presidency of the Church was reorganized Oct. 17, 1901, with Joseph F. Smith as president and John R. Winder as first and Anthon H. Lund as second counselor. After his long experience as a financial and military leader, Bro. Winder at once became a wise and able counselor to the president of the Church, being a man of good judgment. As he was somewhat advanced in years, he did not travel very extensively in the Stakes of Zion, but was seen nearly every day at his desk in the office of the First Presidency and in the Salt Lake Temple, of which he was president. He died in Salt Lake City March 27, 1910. The "Deseret Evening News" of March 28, 1910, commented as follows upon the demise of President John R. Winder: "The retirement of President John R. Winder from this field of earthly action is like the setting of the sun after a glorious day of victory for the right. Few men, we apprehend, have done better what they have set themselves to accomplish in life than the venerable leader whose departure all Israel mourns today. He was an exemplification of that stirring and sacred injunction: 'Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do with thy might.' He did not work at anything a little, but with his whole heart. With him, whatever was worth doing, was worth doing well. And his life is a proof of the excellence of the principle that seemed to be his guiding star. He was an optimist—a cheerful, sanguine, fearless and straight-forward man. There was no guile in his words or ways, no deception or subterfuge in any trait of his strong, hearty and wholesome character. This combination of simplicity and strength, cheerfulness and firmness, of modesty and power—these are the marks by which all-around greatness in man is always recognized. He was singularly well balanced, never erratic, never going to extremes. Pure of soul, clean of speech, free from any vice, temperate to abstemiousness, a sound, wholesome body, a clear, vigorous mind, a sweet, generous and sympathetic disposition—this mere enumeration of his well known traits indicates the monument which, with his own labor, he has built for himself in the hearts of the people who knew him. … The judgment of President Joseph F. Smith. who knew Bro. Winder as few others could know him, is well worth remembering. They were soldiers together in the memorable Echo Canyon war, in the winter of 1857-1858. They were fellow-members of the city council. While President Winder was assessor and collector for Salt Lake county, while he was a member of the Presiding Bishopric of the Church, and finally as a member of the First Presidency, President Smith would have learned to know him as he really was. His testimony, therefore, given at President Winder's birthday reunion, Dec. 11, 1893, may be taken as conclusive. He remarked that President Winder was 'a superior man, a man of unquestioned integrity, a man of meekness and humility, of gentleness of character, mildness of work and speech, always kind, always affable, always considerate of others, and in every way fitted for every position in which President Smith had ever seen him called to act.' Of similar import was the testimony of President Anthon H. Lund to the effect that in his work in the quorum of the First Presidency, he was 'indeed like a cheering ray of sunshine when he came into the office after quitting work in the Temple.' Similarly, his statements as to President Winder's remarkable strength in performing the duties of his high calling, while then approaching the nineties in the year of his life, serve also to show how God had blessed and honored a faithful servant."

From: "Joyce Parsons" [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 1999 5:41 PM

My sister and I are genealogists for the John R. Winder Family Organization. He was born in Biddenden, Kent, England, and came to the U.S. in the 1850's and settled in Utah. We have an active research group that has taken the family back on some related lines to the third century, I think. It is an interesting family. When we were in England in 1995, we spent some time searching the Winders in Sussex -- where we think our branch originated. The records at Hastings Castle were in scary condition with water rot and rodent droppings. We found some fourteenth century Winders who were jurists, etc.
The Winder data and some of the related lines are on my web page at <>. You may want to check it out. It's pretty easy to maneuver through the program.
Hope some of this helps you. I will be happy to correspond more with you.


bullet  Noted events in his life were:

1. Migrated, 10 Oct 1853, , , Utah, USA. John W. Young Company

2. cemetery, 31 Mar 1910, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA.


John married Ellen WALTERS [10894] [MRIN: 3769] on 24 Nov 1845 in , London, Middlesex, England.1


John next married Elizabeth PARKER [10896] [MRIN: 3776] on 11 Jan 1857 in Salt Lake City, Greater Salt Lake, Deseret, USA. (Elizabeth PARKER [10896] was born on 14 Mar 1837 in , Chaigley, Lancashire, England 3 and died on 25 Dec 1883 in Mill Creek, Salt Lake, Utah, USA.)


John next married Hannah Ballantyne THOMPSON [13102] [MRIN: 4547] on 30 Sep 1855 in Salt Lake City, Greater Salt Lake, Deseret, USA.1


John next married Maria BURNHAM [13106] [MRIN: 4548] on 27 Oct 1893 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA.1



1 Joyce Parsons (, Aug 1999.

2 John Rex Winder 1821-1910 (Repository: Salt Lake City).

3 (LDS), Dec 2005.

Winder Project Home | Winder Project Surnames | Winder Project Name List

Hit a brick wall? Join Our Project!

This page was last generated on 2 Dec 2015