The Hood River News, Hood River, OR., August 28, 1928, page 1


     The corner-stone of the new St. Mark's Episcopal Church will be laid this coming Sunday by Bishop Remington, Bishop of the district of Eastern Oregon. The stone, which will be placed in the southwest corner of the nave, will contain various articles of interest -- a history of the Church, a list of subscribers to the building fund, copies of local papers, the names of the building committee and officers of the Church. A special and impressive service of the Episcopal Church will be used for the occasion. Short addresses will be made by Rev. L.H. Miller, rector of the church, and by Ralph B. Bennett, a member of the Bishop's Committee. The choir, under the direction of Mrs. S.F. Aitken, will sing as an anthem "How Amiable are Thy Dwellings," by Barnby. Bishop Remington will preach the sermon.
     Added interest will be given the event by the presence of Captain C.A. Schetky, probably the oldest member of the Episcopal church in this country. Captain Schetky remembers the blessing given him when he was four years old by Bishop White, who was chaplain of the Continental Congress and one of the first bishops of the Episcopal Church in the United States, having been consecrated Bishop of Pennsylvania in 1787. Captain Schetky is an interested member of St. Mark's Church and is able to attend the services which, with the aid of his remarkable memory, he is able to follow without difficulty.
     The history of St. Mark's Church dates back to the very beginnings of Hood River. The first known service of the Episcopal church was conducted on September 2nd, 1879, when the Rev. William Stoy, of Trinity Church, Portland, came to Hood River to conduct the funeral service for the mother of Mrs. Naomi Schenk, of The Dalles, at the Paradise Farm. After that occasional services were conducted by clergymen from The Dalles, the services being held in the old school house, now the court house, and in the home of Mrs. Middleton, mother of Mrs. Charles R. Bone. The first Church, which was torn down this summer, was built by the Rev. Clarence H. Lake, in 1904.
     The new church, which is now under construction, will fit into the parish house which was built last year, thus forming one building and providing attractive facilities for the varied activities of a modern church. The new building will be impressive and beautiful. While there will be sufficient accommodation for a larger congregation, the plans permit an addition to the nave and the building of the chapel on the north side of the nave whenever these are required. The architects are Lawrence and Holford, of Portland, and the contractor is L.M. Bentley.
     The public is cordially invited to attend the services of the laying of the corner-stone.

The Hood River News, Hood River, OR., September 4, 1925, page1


     Before a large audience the ceremony of laying the cornerstone of the new St. Mark's church was performed by Bishop Remmington on Sunday morning last in ideal weather. Before the cornerstone was placed in a position, copies of last week's issue of local papers, of the Oregon Trail Churchman, a list of names of contributors to the new church building fund, names of officers of the church and kindred organizations and a Fort Vancouver Centennial coin were placed in the niche, and will, some day, when an even larger St. Mark's church is built, form a record of the other days.
     Among those who spoke were the Rev. J.A. Ten Broeck, of The Dalles who brought a number of friends from the neighboring city, and Ralph Bennett, who has for years, been a prominent layman of this church. The Rev. Lindley H. Miller, rector of St. Mark's, gave a very interesting talk on the history of St. Mark's.
     One of the big features of the ceremony was the music, presented by the choir, which, under the leadership of Mrs. Scott Aitken, provided a vocal feast. The anthem "How Amiable are Thy Dwellings" was splendidly rendered.
     The building of this unit will, it is expected, be completed by November 1st, but at a later date another unit may be built. St. Mark's church is now stronger than at any previous period in its history, and much of this success is due to the work of its rector, Rev. Lindley H. Miller. A very generous offering towards the building fund on Sunday, and a long list of contributions places St. Mark's church in splendid financial condition, and augurs well for the future of this church in the community.

The Hood River News, Hood River, OR., December 4, 1925, page 1


     Next Sunday will be a day of rejoicing among the members and friends of St. Mark's Episcopal Church, for on that date the first services will be held in the new church. The first service will be a celebration of the Holy Communion at 8 in the morning. Then the children will meet for the opening service of the church school in the new church, after which they will go to the adjoining rooms for their lessons. For some time, the parish house has been used as a temporary Church so that the children have been handicapped in their lesson work, but now they will have tables and chairs and lots of room. Following Church School, at 11 there will be morning service and sermon. The Rector will preach.
     The new Church completes a plan which was begun over a year ago by the erection of the first unit, the parish house. Last summer the old Church, who had stood for nearly 25 years, was torn down to make room for the new building, which is now completed. Yet this present building is to be extended in the future. While the chancel or choir is finished, so that it impresses one with its dignity and beauty, the nave or auditorium is not carried out to its full length at the present time, the plans providing for its extension to the sidewalk on 11th Street when more room is required. There is also room for a small chapel, on the north side of the nave, to be built in the future.
     St. Mark's Church now has one of the most convenient and attractive Church buildings in the city. Not only is it a building well adapted to the varied uses of modern Church work, but it is one of great beauty, with its high trussed ceiling the nave, its well-proportioned chancel and attractive sanctuary. Worship will gain new reverence and beauty in the new St. Mark's Church.

The Hood River News, Hood River, OR., December 18, 1925, page 1


     In the presence of a large congregation, which filled the church to capacity, the new building of St. Mark's Episcopal Church was opened for its first services last Sunday. The Right Rev. Wm. P. Remington, Bishop of Eastern Oregon, preached a stirring sermon urging a fuller allegiance to Jesus Christ -- not as the propounder of the Golden Rule -- but as, what he claimed himself to the, the Savior of the World.
     The new building is the final unit of the church which was started over a year ago, the parish rooms being constructed at that time. The church is thus equipped with a very complete plant for worship, instruction and recreation.
     A record attendance of children in the Church School last Sunday was accommodated without any trouble -- something which has, up to this time the been impossible. The children filled the new church and then went to their classes in the parish rooms, where every class had its own table.
     The present, church, however, is not yet complete, as one may notice on entering, for it is shorter than it will ultimately be, there being room for an extension of the nave some 15 feet toward the poverty line on 11th street. When this is built, there will be plenty of room and the proportions will be much better. The chancel or choir is complete at this time, except for possible additions to the furnishings. As one enters the church, one is at once impressed with the beauty of the dosal, the hanging at the back of the altar. The lofty ceiling and indirect lighting create an impression of dignity and uplifting beauty.

©  Jeffrey L. Elmer