History of Wasco County,
by Wm. H. McNeal
(approximately 20 pages when printed)
PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE DALLES
The most outstanding pictorial history of The Dalles is that priceless collection owned, possessed and displayed each year in Nay by the Masco County Pioneers' Association. It is stored in the fire-proof basement of Wasco county courthouse. For years Robert L. Murray has acted as custodian of that collection. It has not been catalogued so the names or titles of the photos cannot be published. It contains the personal photographs and enlargements of hundreds of early Wasco county pioneers, each with a history of its own, if known. There are also hundreds of photos of places of business, boats, flood scenes, general views, meetings, reunions, encampments, the fort buildings, teams, wagons, events. This collection is indeed a history itself, an impressive drawing card for members and visitors alike. Each photo merits reproduction on film for duplication purposes in case of loss of the original. A picture often tells a story that words cannot convey.
Camera Club Collection
The Dalles Camera Club Historical photos of The Dalles and vicinity is the second best collection of old pictures we have. The films of this collection are kept in the film library of H.G. Miller, an active member of the Club. The Club made up and sold about 50 albums of old Halles photos 8 X 10, as a club fund raising project. They gave one copy to the Oregon State Library and one to the Oregon State Historical Society for preservation. The Dalles Camera Club occupies the quarters of Ben. A. Gifford, internationally famous photographer of The Dalles at the turn of the century who had a gallery on the upper floor of the Chapman building. A list of the Camera Club films of historical importance:
lA. Bailey Gatzert; passengers disembarking about 1900; B.A. Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
1. Bailey Gatzert (1880-1917) Fast Dalles to Portland passenger boat; cordwood on beach; Miller photo
2. Bailey Gatzert; another fine photo by Mrs. H.G. Miller.
3. Western Queen (1880-1918); steam ferry at The Dalles operated on cable; photo by Mrs. H.G. Miller.
4. Western Queen frozen to Columbia river ice; photo by Mrs. H.G. Miller.
5. Wood Scow Ella (1880-1917); barging fuel to The Dalles under full sail; Hrs. H.G. Miller photo.
6. Methodist Mission at The Dalles in 1838; Oregon Historical Society painting; W.H. McNeal collection.
7. Dugout Canoe With Indian; canoe at Historical Building; B.A. Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
8. Fort Dalles Ruins 1890; showing Main Barracks, Supply House, Guard House; Gifford photo; McNeal col.
9. Joaquin Miller, poet & Fred Benzer Fort Dalles Baker; B.A. Gifford photo showing Ft. Dalles bakery.
10. Methodist Mission at The Dalles; early drawing; W.H. McNeal collection.
11. The Dalles in 1867; showing Mint under construction and 3rd street as the main street.
12. STEAMER HASSALO (1863) at O.S.N. dock at mouth of Mill creek.
13. PULPIT ROCK with Joseph Luxelio, first Indian convert of the Methodist Mission demonstrating how Daniel Lee chiseled out the seat and preached to the Indians; Gifford photo.
14. GUARD HOUSE OF OLD FORT DALLES (1854-1922) torn down to make room for Col. Wright school.
15. GUARD HOUSE OF OLD FORT DALLES showing how Sam Johns Lumber flume terminated there in 1905.
16. STEAMER LURENE (1905) also showing Shoe Factory at Dallesport.
14. 15. & 16. Mrs. H.G. Miller photos.
17. HORSE STABLES OF OLD FORT DALLES; 10 & Mt. Hood; photo by Mrs. H.G. Miller.
18. SURGEON'S QUARTERS OF OLD FORT DALLES; only Fort building left; erected 1854; Mrs. H.G. Miller.
19. Kitchen OF OLD FORT DALLES; 15 & Trevitt; photo by Mrs. H.G. Miller.
20. OFFICERS QUARTERS OF OLD FORT DALLES; burned 1890; Louis Fritz collection from Thelma Cox.
21. QUARTERMASTER'S QUARTERS OF OLD FORT DALLES; house L.S. Fritz was born in; Thelma Cox collection.
22. STEAMER REGULATOR (1880-1917) passenger & freight boat at Cascades; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
23. INDIANS FISHING AT CELILO; H.G. Miller photo.
24. HOTEL ALBERT (Bank Hotel) 1915; B.A. Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
25. PIONEER BUILDING (2nd & Wash. 1915) showing American Express office; Gifford photo; Miller collect.
26. G.A.R. CONVENTION CELEBRATION ARCH (2nd & Wash. 1898); Gifford photo; Miller collection.
27. PIONEER BUILDING (2nd & Wash) showing Wheeldon (Hudson) Land office & Bohn's Printing office.
28. PEASE & MAYS BUILDING (2nd & fed.) 1910; showing board walk; Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
29. WALTHER-WILLIAMS HARDWARE CO (2nd & Fed. 1910) showing wagons for sale & wire on walk; Miller cal.
30. A.M. WILLIAMS STORE about 1910; Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
31. PRINZ & NITSCHKE UNDERTAKING & FURNITURE CO. 1910; 209 E. 2nd; Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
32. MAIER & SCHANNO, FAULTS SALOON, BLAKELEY DRUG STORE & NICKELSEN'S BOOK STORE 1910; Miller col.
33. WHITE HOUSE SALOON (2nd & Court 1910) B.A. Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
34. FLOOD 1894; taken on west 4th and showing railroad shops submerged; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
35. FLOOD 1894; showing Tom Hudson home on west 2nd street; Hrs. H.G. Miller photo.
36. FLOOD 1894; 2nd & Federal looking west; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
37. FLOOD 1894; 3rd & Court looking west; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
38. FLOOD 1894; Umatilla House on First; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
39. THE DALLES 1887; looking up Union street; Fred W. Wilson collection.
40. RAILROAD TRESSEL ON WEST 2nd; showing Umatilla House & Columbia hotel; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
41. ODD FELLOWS BUILDING 1912; post office location; B.A. Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
42. ODD FELLOWS FIRE Aug. 1914; burned post office, Brills clothing, Great Northern Furniture store, Welsh & Beck's Second Hand store, Louis Comini Marble Works; W.H. McNeal collection.
43. WOODEN WASCO MILL; burned 1911; best building in northwest; Mrs. Otto Green collection.
44. SECOND STREET IN 1900; shows Seufert-Condon telephone line on north side of street and Wasco Hill electric power line on south side of street; how poles were used as hitching racks.
45. DONNELL'S DRUG STORE 1912; Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
48. HOTEL DALLES in 1910; showing horse drawn bus which met boats and trains; H.G. Miller collection.
47. DALLES-CELILO PORTAGE RAILROAD (1862-1915) view Cape Horn 1881; Pioneer's Collection.
48. GREAT NORTHERN FURNITURE STORE, 1914, 413 E. 2nd; H.G. Miller collection.
49 THE CASTLE OF THE DALLES; 10 & Laughlin; HG Miller photo.
50. ENGINE OF DALLES TO CELILO PORTAGE RAILROAD; 1900; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
51. WARE & PORTAGE RAILROAD TERMINAL WEST MILL CREEK, 1864; Pioneers' Association collection.-
52. VOGT BLOCK 1914; B.A. Gifford photo; H.G. Miller collection.
53. SCHANNO BUILDING 1915, 2nd & Court; B.A. Gifford photo, H.G. Miller collection.
54. HORN SALOON; had largest collection of stuffed animals west of St. Louis, H.G. Miller collection.
55. MOUTH MILL CREEK & BEACH 1914; showing wood-transportation scows, wood piled on beach, ferry Western Queen, boat warves, wireless tower; Gifford photo; W.H. McNeal collection.
56. WOOD SCOW ON COLUMBIA UNDER FULL SAIL (1870-1918); Gifford photo; W.H. McNeal collection.
57. B.A. GIFFORD, INTERNATIONALLY FAMOUS PHOTOGRAPHER of The Dalles; W.H. McNeal collection.
58. B.A. GIFFORD PHOTO WAGON in Central Oregon in 1890's; W.H. McNeal collection.
59. WOODEN SPEAR FOR FISHING BY CELILO INDIANS, used before dipnets; Gifford photo; W.H. McNeal col,
60. AMERICAN LEGION FROLICS VEHICLES; W.P.A. photo, W.H. McNeal collection.
61. EZRA MEEKER DEDICATING "END OF OLD OREGON TRAIL MARKER" in Union Street Park 1906; Gifford photo.
62. OPENING OF CASCADE LOCKS 1896; Herrin photo; McNeal collection.
63. FLOOD 1894, view from Dalles Hospital bluff; Hans Blaser photo; W.H. McNeal collection.
64. FREIGHTING IN CENTRAL OREGON, 10 horse team near Antelope enroute from Shaniko to Lakeview; photo taken for U.P. Railroad by B.A. Gifford; W.H. McNeal collection.
65. FREIGHTING WOOL INTO THE DALLES 1880; 10 horses, 3 wagons; Hans Blaser photo; W.H. McNeal, col.
66. SHOE FACTORY AT DALLESPORT IN 1890's; B.A Gifford photo; W.H. McNeal collection.
67. WASCO INDEPENDENT ACADEMY (1680-1915); B.A. Gifford photo; W.H. McNeal collection.
68. FLOOD 1834 AT 3rd & UNION; B.A. Gifford photo; W.H. McNeal collection.
69. RAILROAD SHOPS WEST FIRST (1860-1917); Patridge photo; American Legion collection.
70. FLOOD 1894, looking west from Brewery showing power phone poles on 2nd; Farlin photo;: Legion col.
71. THE DALLES IN 1870; showing churches on 3rd near Washington; W.H. McNeal collection.
72. LANDING OF EMIGRANTS ON COLUMBIA IN 1890's; B.A. Gifford photo; W.H. McNeal collection.
73. WRECK OF THE REGULATOR BELOW CASCADES IN 1890's; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
74. THE TYPICAL SHEEPHEARDER; taken near Maryhill by B.A. Gifford; W.H. McNeal collection.
75. PORTAGE WAGON ROAD AT CASCADE LOCKS (1858-1896), first gorge highway, Mrs. H.G. Miller Photo.
78. RAILROAD TRESSEL AT 1 & UNION IN 1890's; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
77. FLOOD 1894 at 3rd looking north on Court across Columbia; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
78. BREWERY AT THE DALLES (1880-1916); Hans Blaser photo; American Legion collection.
79. MIMALOOSE ISLAND ABOUT 1900; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
80. MOODY WAREHOUSE RECIEVING WOOL IN 1890's; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
81. FIRST COURTHOUSE IN WASCO COUNTY 1858 at 3rd & Court; Fred W. Wilson collection.
82. HERMIT WOODRUFF'S CAVE ABOVE CATHOLIC CEMETERY; B.A. Gifford photo; W.H. McNeal collection.
83. FLOOD 1894; ferry landing east of United Mill; Hans Blaser photo; American Legion collection.
84. RECEDING OF 1894 FLOOD ON WEST 2nd; Mrs. H.G. Miller photo.
85. SHIP CONSTRUCTION AT THE DALLES (1858-1896); H.G. Miller collection.
86. SIDE-WHEEL STEAMER IDAHO AT THE DALLES IN 1863; Fred W. Wilson collection.
87. WOODEN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE DALLES and start of work on brick church; American Legion collection.
88. THE DALLES IN 1885; Hans Blaser photo; American Legion collection.
89. FOOT OF WASHINGTON STREET IN 1865, showing Geo. Rush in Lincoln attire; American Legion collection.
90. THE DALLES IN 1877 2nd & Washington 4th of July parade; Pioneers' Collection.
91. THE DALLES 1894, 4th & Washington, flood business location in Baptist church; Legion collection.
92. FLOOD 1894; 2nd & Court looking east on 2nd street; Mrs. George Obarr collection..
93. CRATE CABIN AT CRATES POINT (1850-1949); W.H. McNeal photo.
94. FLOOD 1894, Columbia Hotel at First & Union; Mrs. George Obarr collection.
95. FARMERS (OBARR) HOTEL in 1890's; Mrs. George Obarr collection.
96. COBBLE STONES ON 2nd STREET AFTER FIRE OF 1891; W.H. McNeal collection
HISTORICAL SOCIETY NEGATIVES ON FILE AT ELITE STUDIO
HS2. GUARD HOUSE OF OLD FORT DALLES and showing old Sam Johns Lumber flume.
HS3. OLD INDIAN TOWN ABOUT 1912, west 2nd across Mill creek where not is now located.
HS4. MISSION BUILDINGS AT THE DALLES 1838; drawing; located on 11 between Washington & Federal.
HS ARROW COLLECTION for years on display at Historical Society museum at 15 & Garrision.
HS5. RELICS ON DISPLAY AT FORT DALLES HISTORICAL MUSEUM 15 & Garrison.
HS6. HISTORICAL MUSEUM EUILDING, Surgeons Quarters of Old Fort Dalles erected 1854.
HS7. DISPLAY AT HISTORICAL MUSEUM showing; old organ, piano and wall pictures.
HSP. DISPLAY AT HISTORICAL MUSEUM showing fireplace, clock and photos.
HS17 GUARD HOUSE, SUPPLY HOUSE & PART OF KITCHEN OF OLD FORT DALLES.
HS18 BAKERY OF OLD FORT DALLES; located at 16 & Bridge; showing Fred Benzer, Old Fort Dalles baker of 1852, reminiscing with Joaquin Miller, Poet of the Sierras, under the old pine tree at the Bakery; B.A. Gifford photo of 1908 lithographed in Germany.
HS19 CASTLE OF THE DALLES which was built in 1866 at 10 & Laughlin; see story on page 27.
HS20 HERMIT WOODFORD'S CAVE back of Catholic cemetery showing Woodruff in front of cave.
HS20 MAIN QUARTERS OF OLD FORT DALLES TAKEN IN 1890; a very fine photo; also in Camera club files.
HS5 OLD WASCO COUNTY INDEPENDENT ACADEMY, located at 10 & Washington (1880-1915).
AMERICAN LEGION NEGATIVES ON FILE AT THE ELITE STUDIO
These photographs were gathered for the American Legion Frolics publication use, by the writer of this history, about 20 years ago, so that the Legion would have their own supply of films for their historical Frolics publication, issued annually. R.A. Brouhard, owner of the Elite studio at that time, did the photography work and charged the Legion $17 ($51 in 1952). The films were left on file at the Elite studio for use of the Legion and so any person might have a print made. Regardless of who owns the Elite studio these historical films are still the property of the American Legion. They are in good hands at the Elite studio and should be left there for future use. Each film has a code letter AL which stands for American Legion, followed by a code number.
AL25. INDIAN SKULLS ON MIMALOOSE ISLAND BEFORE FLOOD OF 1894.
AL26. INDIANS SKULLS ON MIMALOOSE ISLAND BEFORE FLOOD OF 1894, another view.
AL27 and AL28 FOLDA'S DALLES BAND taken about 1912.
AL29. DONKEY ENGINE of 1914 used on construction of Dalles-Celilo canal.
AL30. OLD FORT DALLES BUILDINGS, distant view showing Sam John's Lumber flume.
AL31. INTERSTATE SHOE FACTORY BUILDING AT DALLESPORT, WASH. taken about 1915.
AL32. OLD FORT DALLES GUARD HOUSE and other Fort Buildings on Col. Wright school grounds.
AL33. DALLES HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL TEAM OF 1906, taken at Whittler school.
AL34. DALLES INDIANS IN FULL FEATHERED DRESS about 1913.
AL35 More Indians.
AL36. DALLES BUSINESS DISTRICT IN 1885; Hans Blaser photo from east end of town.
AL37. Fred Benzer's OLD FORT DALLES BAKERY, view taken after Fred died.
AL38. WOODEN CATHOLIC CHURCH, work just starting on present brick church.
AL39. FERRY LANDING EAST OF WASCO MILL during high water of 1894.
AL40. EARLY LOG CABIN OF THE DALLES Balked with mud, located near Christman spring 15 & Dry Hollow.
AL41. SUPPLY HOUSE OF OLD FORT DALLES, partly tore down.
AL42. PACKING CREW AT GEORGE COOPER RANCH 1906.
AL44. SECOND STREET looking east at Washington, the muddy condition of it in the Gay '90's, also showing the Seufert-Condon telephone line on north side and Wasco Mill power line on the south side, both lines used for hitching posts by farm teams; a fine photo.
AL45. STEAMER S.G. REED of the O.S.N. Co. at Mill Break Warf July 1878; Fred Wilson collection.
AL46. STEAMER ANNIE FAXON AT CELILO May 1, 1877; Fred W. Wilson collection.
AL47. STEAMER BAILEY GATZERT (1896-1917); Pioneer collection.
AL48. STEAMER REGULATOR (1896-1917); Fred Wilson collection.
AL49. STEAMER R.R. THOMPSON of O.S.N. Co.; Pioneer collection.
AL50. STEAMER HASSALO of O.S.N. CO. 1888 at wharf at mouth of Mill creek; Pioneer collection.
AL51. DALLES TO CELILO PORTAGE RAILROAD (1862-1915) showing wharf and beach in The Dalles.
AL52. DALLES IN 1867, showing the U.S. Mint under construction and how 3rd was main traveled street.
AL53. DALLES TO CELILO PORTAGE RAILROAD (1862-1915) showing train at Cape Horn in 1894.
AL54. PUMPING SAND OUT OF THE COLUMBIA at 7½ a yard, for construction on Dalles-Celilo canal.
AL55. LAST LARGE BLAST ON DALLES-CELILO CANAL Feb. 5, 1914, which opened canal; J.B. Small collection.
AL56. STARTING WORK ON DALLES-CELILO CANAL at Big Eddy in 1906; J.B. Small collection.
AL57. BASALT CONSTRUCTION IN TANDEM LOCKS AT BIG EDDY on Dalles-Celilo canal, J.B. Small collection.
AL59. WATER TUNNEL CONSTRUCTION at Dillon, J.B. Small, Supt; blasted out within 3 feet of surface.
AL60. UMATILLA HOUSE POOL ROOM (1885-1929).
AL61. UMATILLA HOUSE, main office and waiting room where all trains and stages stopped.
AL62. FLOOD 1894 at 3rd & Union.
AL63. FLOOD 1894, view from Dalles Hospital steps.
AL84. MAIN STREET (2nd) SUMMER OF 1885 in 200 block, shows 3-story buildings before fire of 1891.
AL65. RAILROAD SHOPS ON ITEST FIRST (1862-1917) across Mill Creek, established by O.S.N. Co.
AL66. FLOOD 1894, business section at 5th & Washington streets.
AL67. 10-HORSE "JERK" LINE TEAN (1864-1915) bringing wool into The Dalles.
AL68. Co. G. 3rd. Oregon AT ARMORY 1st & Washington (Model laundry) April 28,1898.
AL69. O.R.& N. CO. TRESSEL ACROSS MILL CREEK (1882-1914) taken 1888.
AL70. 4th OF JULY PARADE 1877 at 2nd & Washington, looking up Washington.
AL71. FIRST & WASHINGTON 1865; looking south up Washington, showing Globe Hotel.
AL72. JEROME LAUER'S SALOON, 120 E. 2nd, note Columbia Beer sign, Dalles made beer of Buehler brewery.
AL73. FLOOD 1894 showing high water around Umatilla House; Hans Blaser photo.
AL74. OPENING OF CASCADE LOCKS Nov. 5, 1896.
AL75. DEEP SNOW OF 1884 ON 2nd STREET in 200 block; companion photo for AL64-summer of 1885.
AL 76. ARRIVAL OF STEAMERS AT THE DALLES FROM PORTLAND Nov. 5, 1896, following opening of Cascade Looks; Dalles City, Regulator, Sarah Dixon; celebrating "an open river to the sea."
AL77. CREW OF THE TIMES-MOUNTAINEER edited by John Michell.
AL78. AUGUST BUCHLER'S BREWERY in 1915 at crest of business; Hans Blaser photos (79 & 80 - other views).
AL81-82-83-87 HEAVY BREWERY BEER DRINKERS OF BUCHLER'S BREWERY; Hans Blazer photos.
AL88. BASER WAGON SHOP IN THE DALLES at 805 E. 2nd; Hans Blaser photo.
AL85. FLOOD 1894; view from top of Wasco Mill; Hans Blazer photo.
WANTED -- Copy of the Rev. O.D. Taylor photo-drawing of The Dalles Bridge across the Columbia in 1890's. Copy of any Stage Coach photos which operated out of The Dalles; copies of any saddle or pack trains; or any freight teams which operated out of The Dales.
HISTORICAL NEGATIVES AT TIE L.V. BROUGHTON STUDIO
1. OBARR HOTEL 1890 as a 2-story building; 612 E. 2nd; Pioneer Collection.
2. OBARR HOTEL 1893, jacked up on scaffolding preparatory to adding ground floor. Pioneer collection.
3. OBARR HOTEL, with completed first floor, hotel name changed to Farmers Hotel; Pioneer collection.
4. 4th OF JULY PARADE 1877 at 2nd & Washington, looking south on Washington; Pioneer collection.
5. UNION STREET LODGING HOUSE, in 1800's, showing Dunham Drug Store on first floor at 2nd & Union.
6. JACKSON. ENGINE Co. in front of fire station next to Elks Club on 3rd St.; Pioneer collection.
7. HIGH BICYCLE RACE ON 2nd STREET IN GAY '90's; Pioneer collection.
8. DUFUR STREET SCENE ABOUT 1912; Pioneer collection.
9. SCHANNO BUILDING 2nd & Court, in 1890's showing Pretmen's Shoe store.
10. DEDICATION OF BONNEVILLE POWER STATION, series of photos taken May 14, 1941. Mr. Broughton has many other more recent parade and historical photos.
HISTORICAL NEGATIVES IN W.H. MC NEAL COLLECTION
1. WOODEN WASCO MILL BUILDING which burned in 1910; Mrs. Ollo Green's collection.-
2. SMOLDERING RUINS OF WASCO MILL FIRE, of 1910; Mrs. Otto Green's collection.
3. WASCO MILL CREW before fire of 1910; Mrs. Otto Green collection.
4. ODD FELLOW LODGE HALL AND POST OFFICE FIRE OF 1914; Mrs. Otto Green collection.
5. 4th STREET AT COURT-ABOUT-1812, showing board walks and popular trees; Weigelt Bros. collection.
6. 2nd STREET AT ODD FELLOWS CORNER ABOUT 1910 showing Seufert-Condon telephone line on north side of street and Wasco Mill power line on south side of street; Weigelt Bros. collection.
7. GUARD HOUSE AND SUPPLY HOUSE OF OLD FORT DALLES.
8. UNION STREET PARK ABOUT 1917 showing band stand made from Laughlin school; Weigelt Bros. collect.
9. 2nd STREET WITH COBBLESTONES IN 200 BLOCK A80UT 1910; Weigelt Bros. collection.
10. CRATE CABIN AT CRATES POINT (1850-1949) oldest house in Wasco County.
11. LEWIS JOHNSON PEANUT WAGON; Roy Johnson collection.
12. PROF. WILLIAM BIRGFELD'S ORCHESTRA; Morris Paulson collection, Oakland, Calif.
A photo of the Kirby Peanut Wagon and 2nd & Washington, east, west and south, hangs on the wall of the office of Dr. Dean Johnson, dentist; taken about 1910; visitors welcome to view same.
13. DEDICATION CEREMONIES OF THE O.R.& N. RAILROAD IN THE DALLES 1883; Fred W. Wilson collection.
A painting of the EMIGRANTS FORDING THE MOUTH OF THE DESCHUTES RIVER BEFORE 1860 hangs in the lobby of Wasco County courthouse.-
14. THE PRINEVILLE STAGE which operated between Shaniko and Prineville in 1904; Neg. in Miller files.
15. THE C.L. SCHMIDT FLOUR MILL 1893 at west end of Third street; B.E. Sellick collection; Miller files.
16. FLOOD 1948; H.G. Miller photo taken from Port Grain elevator, showing Port Dock under water.
HISTORICAL NEGATIVES AT THE ANGELUS STUDIO 514 SW 2nd, PORTLAND
509. DALLES CITY AT CASCADE LOCKS
511. HARVEST QUEEN AT ASTORIA
512. HASSALO AT PORTLAND
515. REGULATOR AT CAPE HORN
518. UNDINE AT PORTLAND
520. BAILEY GATZERT AND T.J. POTTER AT PORTLAND
519. UNDINE AT CELILO
536. STAGECOACH AT BINGHAM SPRINGS IN BLUE MOUNTAINS ON DALLES TO SALT LAKE CITY RUN
543. SHANIKO TO REDMOND STAGECOACH OF 1905
565. WAGON TRAIN ON THE OLD OREGON TRAIL
566. ANOTHER WAGON TRAIN ON THE OLD OREGON TRAIL
Many other fine historical films well worth time and effort to look over.
OREGON STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY PHOTOGRAPHS 235 SW Market, Portland.
All photos at Oregon Historical Society must be re-photographed which costs $1. each for 8X10 (1949).
METHODIST MISSION AT THE DALLES IN 1838, a painting by Toppin (Tapper) made in 1849 of the mission stockade at 12 & Washington; showing the main quarters, 2 log buildings and an Indian TP within the stockade enclosure. Prints of that painting are available at the Leo Simon Studio, 711 SW Ankney in Portland at a cost of $1 each for 8 X 10 prints (1949). It's a must for every collector.
2. First Courthouse in The Dalles
3. The Dalles in 1870 taken from, the Washington shore.
4. Birds Eye View of The Dalles in the 1889's, from the Hospital bluff showing Robinson-Livery stable.
5. Umatilla House in Flood 1894, 140 rooms costing $91,000 in 1877.
6. Railroad Trestle in 1880; D.C. Herrin photo for D.P.A.N. Co. -
7. The Dalles in 1890 from Brewery Bluff showing Wooden Wasco Mill and 2nd street.
8. Webber Fruit ranch; 9. Academy Park school; 10. Celilo Canal;
11. Cabbage Rook; 12. O.S.N. Shops; 13. O.S.N. Office; 14. Dalles in 1870 from Washington shore; 15. Wooden Catholic church; 16. Dalles from Sunset Hill; officers Quarters of the O.S.N. Co. O.S.N. Docks and Trestle; Shed Fences on Dalles to Celilo Portage road; Guard House & Supply House in colors; Historical Building.
BENJAMIN A. GIFFORD NEGATIVES
In 1949 Mrs. Ralph Gifford, R.4, Box 232 at Salem said, "My husband Ralph Gifford (son Benj. A.) sold all the B. A. Gifford negatives to Sawyer, Inc. 735 SW 20, Portland, Oregon there being about 12,000 of them! I still have some of the oldest and best of the negatives as family heirlooms for our son Ben. Ralph Gifford has 500 choice negatives of Oregon views in our files which will increase in value as time goes on. Ralph built up a wonderful file of negatives for the Travel and Information Department of the Oregon State Highway Commission, before he died. When we came to Salem in 1938 that department didn't even have a camera or dark room! Ralph offered to use his if they would establish a picture department to advertise Oregon. It went over big and now there are several stenographers besides the men at the head of the department and it does over $100,000 worth of business annually! It is too bad that Ralph didn't live to see the fruitfulness of his efforts.
The "choice heirloom negatives" Mrs. Ralph Gifford has are: The Western Queen ferry at The Dalles froze in the river ice about 1906; 2. Emigrants on the banks of the Columbia, with wagons, embarking on boats for trip down the river; 3. Ezra Meeker dedicating the marker in the Union street Park in 1906. 4. His famous SUNSET ON THE COLUMBIA near Maryhill. 5. Freighting in Central Oregon, out of Shaniko about 1905; Joseph Luxlello seated on Pulpit Rock demonstrating how Jason Lee preached to the Indians, Luxlello being his first Christian convert. 7. the Wood Scow Reliance under full sail heading up the Columbia to The Dalles. 8. The Indian Madonna maiden. 9. Matt Thornton the Typical Sheepherder taken near Kingsley about 1900. 10. Indians Fishing with Spears at Celilo. 11. Gifford photo tent on the road. 12 Chief Hash-Nash Sheet of Pendleton and Chief Shen-No Watch of Celilo in full Indian regalia about 1900. 13 & 14 Gifford Photo Wagon on the road. Prints $1. each.
The Historical negatives at Sawyers, 725 SW 20, Portland, Oregon:
147. Indian. Dugout canoe on Columbia with Indian, canoe now at Historical building; 149 Spinx Rock near The Dalles; 159 Steamer and Fish wheel on Columbia; 169 steamer Dalles City; 162 steamer Regulator; 172 Internationally famous Mt. Hood from Lost Lake glass negative that he was offered and refused $1000 for! 230 Same Lost Lake view. 185 80,000 sacks of wheat at The Dalles. 187 The Dalles with Mt. Hood in distance. 195 Bradford Island. 199-201 Cape Horn on Columbia. 214 Chief Hash-Nash and Shen-no-watch; 216 & 231 Internationally famous photo of Mt. Adams from Troutlake, Wn. 219 Regulator at Palisades; 220 Fish wheel on Columbia. 221 Matt Thornton the Typical Sheepherder; 229 Indian. squaw; 235 Dalles City at Rooster Rock; 241 Steamer Matlake; 243 Bailey Gatzert; 251 Mt. Hood from Dufur Valley; 256 White River Falls, used on Wasco Mill four sacks (missing); 258 Fish wheel and train; 263 Scening for Salmon at The Dalles; 277 Falls on the Deschutes; 284 Emigrant wagons, on the Columbia; - near Deschutes crossing; 290 Old Log school house, believed to be Doyle on upper Chenowith; 289. Rocks near Fossil; 292 Wood Scow under full sail on Columbia; 305 Lava Butte at Bend; 315, 3-Sisters at Bend; 316 Ralph Gifford on Deschutes; 318 Sagebrush of Central Oregon; 319 Interior of Drake house; 301½ Drake House and ranch; 321 Sunset & Teepees on the Columbia, taken July 20,1905 near Maryhill, Wn.; 322 Indian Madonna and her child; - taken July 20, 1905 of a Warm Springs Indian maiden; 321 Weneka, another name for Sunset; 323 Internationally famous Freight Team and wagon of Central Oregon in 1905 near Antelope; 328 Yakima Indians.
No. 329 was PULPIT ROCK & JOSEPH LUXELLO, Yakima Chief, seated on top demonstrating how Jason Lee chiseled out the seat and preached to the Indians; he was baptized at the mission about 1840. 331 Dugouts on the Columbia; 332 Cave at Ashwood; 333 End of Oregon Trail, Ezra Meeker dedicating marker in Union Street Park in 1906 to that effect; 330 Ashwood, Oregon; 348 An Oregon Beauty horse; 347 seems to be a duplicate of 221 Matt Thornton the Typical Sheepherder near Kingsley about 1900; 349 Fossil, Oregon; 351 John Day, Oregon; 353 Fish wheel near Celilo; 356 Dufur, Oregon; 357 Prine-ville, Oregon; 358 Gateway to the Inland Empire; 364 Ice Jams on the Columbia; 368 Guard House at Old Fort Dalles & Supply House looking south; 370 Robber's Roost in 30 Mile canyon near Condon; 372 Williams Fish Wheel on Columbia; 380 Junction of Warm Springs and Deschutes rivers; 381 Mutton Mt.; 363 Dalles Vineyards; 364 Mill Creek; 365 Mt. Hood from Mill creek; 566 Spink Rock; 574 Dalles Residents about 1900; 576 The Dalles from Washington shore; 823 Gifford and his Dalles cherry orchard; 826 Dalles orchard; 830 Dalles tomatoes; 810 Dalles prunes; 806 Dalles grapes; 805 Dalles melons; 800 Dalles pears; 796 Dalles pears; 808 & 816 Dalles apples & trees; 822 Dalles peaches; 831 Ranch at Dufur; 886 Grain at Dufur; 842 Hay at Dufur; 851 Main street in Dufur; 856- 866 Dufur apples; 868 15 Mile at Dufur; 875 cheat warehouse at Dufur; 876 Dalles apples; 877 Dalles pears; 882 Dalles turkeys; 917 Watermelons at Goldendale.
1016 Birdseye view of Dalles; 1043 Ferry at Dalles; 1183 Freighting wheat at Heppner; 1246 East-ern Oregon sheep; 1308 Oregon Cedars; 1306 Oregon Timber; 1320 Dufur country; 1321 Dufur wheat ranch; 1323 cultivating at Dufur; 1324 Mt. Hood from Dufur; 1380-41 Hood River scenes; 1345-77 Oregon coast scenes; 1495 Sheep camp at Dalles; 1501 Daisy field at Dalles; 1518-08 Eastern Washington scenes; 1614 Sheep shearing at Heppner; 1612 Pigs & more pigs; 1615 Hauling wool; 1624-91 coast scenes; 1844 Log raft on Columbia; 1649 Haystack Rock; 1737 Harney Valley cattle; 1765 The old Chuck Wagon; 1820 Threshing; 1831 Haystacks; 1879 Crooked River Bridge; 1928 Historical Building; 2256 Redwoods of Ore.; 2487 Dalles Reservoir; 2504 Celilo Falls; 2507 Columbia near Dalles; 2508 Swimming pool near Dalles; 2542 Exposition Buildings in Portland; 2571 Silver Thaw in Dalles 1912; 2575 Horse & Wagon snow scene; 2585 Gifford home; 2805 Studio in Portland; 2948 Sheepherder's cabin; 2952 Homesteaders cabin; 3609 to 3859 Yellowstone Park series; - taken for railroads; 4798 Coyote in trap; 6223 Mist Falls; 6242 Multnomah Falls; - also 6598 and 1000 other Columbia river scenes for railroads; 7965 Wasco Mill; 12,500 Tygh Valley; 12,502 Dufur; Glacier, Yosemite, Bryce, Grand Teton, etc. for railroads. Copies $1.
ADDITIONAL GIFFORD BIOGRAPHY
In addition to the biography data listed on page, 62 on Benjamin A. Gifford, internationally famous photographer of The Dalles and Portland we have:
Born at Danville, Illinois Aug. 11, 1859. His early life spent in New York and Missouri on farms. Apprenticed in photography at Fort Scott, Kan. where he learned to make his own sensitized plates, shoot-out-of-door scenes, do developing by sunlight on paper prepared by himself. Came to Portland in 1888; moved to The Dalles 1892 because of the wonderful natural beauties the Greater provided in the Columbia river gorge and immediate vicinity in addition to our fine picture-taking weather, mountain peaks, Indians, people, recreational advantages which so many of us do not see. In later years much of his work was for the railroads making enlargements of his famous northwest photos for depots and hotels in the east; to draw railroad tourists and settlers into the west. He was probably better known and appreciated for his fine photography in the east than he was in Oregon!
His studio, then called a "gallery" was in the Chapman Block; now occupied by The Dalles Camera Club. He sold his business to Chas. Y. Lamb in 1908, returned to Portland so as to be closer to railroad officials, for whom he was starting to do work for, and where there was more people who appreciated photography work.
His first marriage in Illinois was to Myrtle Peck and their son Ralph was born in Portland in 1894. His second marriage was to Rachel Morgan of The Dalles, daughter of Seth and Margaret (Hamilton) Morgan, pioneers of the Three Mile area. She taught school in and about The Dalles from 1897 to 1907 when she took up art work and became an assistant to Mr. Gifford from 1912 until their marriage in 1919. Mr. Gifford retired to their Vancouver, Wash. home in 1920 where they lived for 16 years until his death in 1938. He is buried in the Mt. Scott cemetery in Portland. Mrs. Gifford is a resident of Oswego and a frequent visitor of The Dalles where she still retains possession of the Gifford berry orchard up Mill creek on Orchard road. The Gifford family home in The Dalles was at 712 E. 13; and later at the northeast corner of 7 & Union. -- Biography by Mrs. Gifford.
The Oregon State Library
The following W.P.A. photos and negatives are on file at the Oregon State Library and available for prints;
No. 46. Several old American Legion Frolics, vehicles; 49. Umatilla House Bus; 48. Blake Gallaher U.S. Mail cart; 47. the Northern Pacific (Wells Fargo) Stage coach; 61. Father Rousseau's Catholic Mission homestead cabin remnants; 60. Baldwin saloon; 59. First (3rd) post office location in the Waldron Stone building at the foot of Washington street, the oldest building in The Dalles erected in 1859! 485. Shaniko; 670 Bakeoven; 50. Historical Society (Surgeon's Quarters) Building of Old Fort Dalles; 55. Umatilla House keyboard; 52 Academy Park school; 58 Mint at The Dalles; 10 The Wooden Congregational church at The Dalles; 105 The Methodist Mission at The Dalles; 292 Burial grounds; 383 Dalles Printers; 509 steamer; 596 Barlow Gate road; 442 Prairie Schooner; 509 Regulator; 519 steamer Undine; 565 Covered wagon Train; 604 Covered Wagon Train; 588 Covered Wagon Train in Blue mountains; 598 Barlow Gate Toll road. An 8 X 10 print will run about $1 each.
We neglected to mention that the Elite Studio has other historical negs. Besides those of the American Legion, but they are not catalogued by number or name for inclusion in this record.
HISTORICAL CUTS OF THE DALLES CHRONICLE
1. Flood 1894 at 5th & Wash.; 2. Constitution of Oregon; 3. E.C. Pease home; 4. City Hall and fire equipment; 5. Tug Keith; 6 Purlite Plant near Maupin; 7. Celilo Canal; 8. Johnson Bros. of Dufur; 9 Courthouse at 3rd & Union; 10 Goldendale home; 11 Whittier school; Air view of Oil town; 13 River Barges of 1950; 14 Old Swimming Hole; 15 Sleigh Ride at Wasco; 16 Wool at Moody Warehouse; 17 Ruins of Old Fort Dalles; 18 Columbia Fruit plant; 19 Maupin; 20 Celilo Canal; 21 Goldendale; 22 Freighting in Shaman county; 24 Steamer The Dalles; 24 Inland Navigation Tugs; 25 2nd Street; 26 Granada Theatre; 27 Western Queen Ferry; 28 The Dalles Airport; 29 Maupin Bridge; 30 Dalles in 1865; 31 Fort Dalles Horse Stables; 32 Steamer Regulator; 33 Portage Railroad in 1883; 34 Dufur; 35 Pulpit Rock tablet; 36 Wooden Catholic church; 37 Dalles Firemen; 38 Railroad Yards & Sawmill; 39 Crate Cabin; 40 Country school; 41 Steamer Bailey Gatzert; 42 Courthouse of 1854; 43 Stream-liner of 1950; 44 Pioneer locomotive; 45 Dalles in 1867 showing Mint under construction; 46 Flood of 1894 at 2nd & Federal; 47 Snow Removal in 1950; 48 Railroading in 1883; 49 The Windjammer; 50 Dufur Telephone Exchange; 51 Dufur Post Office; 52 Dalles Ferry 1950; 53 Umatilla House; 54 Umatilla House Lobby; 55 Umatilla House Billiard room; 56 Country school; 57 Wishram; 58 Dufur Fire Department 59 Tygh Valley. The Chronicle has had hundreds of other very fine outs which they have destroyed.
BOHN PRINTING SHOP
There are a few historical outs at the Bohn Printing Shop. Those reproduced in this history were Chronicle and optimist cuts printed on the Gordon Bohn press.
OPTIMIST HISTORICAL CUTS
1. P.P.& L Substation; 2. WW2 Pontoon Bridge at Rufus; 3. County Fair Buildings; 4. Dalles City Ambulance; 5. Gus Anderson Accordion player; 6 Combine Harvest Scene of 1950; 7 Combine Unloading wheat; 8 Schmidt Flour Mill on W. 3rd; 9 George Stadelman; 10 Logging with Oxen; Episcopal church; 12 Loading Logs on Truck; 13 Combining at Boyd; 14 Flood 1948; 15 Veterans Memorial List; 16 Com-parative Power Rate Table; 17 Indians of 1950; 18 Flood 1948; 19 Army Invasion of Columbia in WW2; 20 Boyd Flour Mill; 21 Small Sawmill; 22 John Gavin; 23 Combining; 24 Logging by Oxen; 25 John Thompson 40 Years a Dalles Barber; 26. George Lindsay Dalles No. 1 Cameraman 1952; 27 Cattle Farm; 28 Booster Girls; 30 Boy Scouts in Uniform; 31 Port of The Dalles; 32 J.B. Kirk; 33 Coop Wheat Elevator; 34 Musicians at St. Marys; 35 Booster Girls; 36 V.F.W. Auxiliary; 37 Large U.P. Diesel 1948; 38 Combining; 39 Ft. Dalles Riders Mounted; 40 Riders at Tygh Fair; 41 P.N. Larsen in Frolic Garb; 42 Dalles Fair Grounds in 1915; 43 Williams Store; 44 Combining; 45 Bonneville Sub-station; 46 Motorcycle Riders; 47 Bonneville Sub-station; 48 Rowena Loops; 49 Pack. Horse; 50 Blood Donors 1950; 51 Shoveling Snow 1950; 52 Wasco Mill; 53 Mountain Climbers; 54 Dufur Riding Club; 55 Wheat at Port; 56 Bonneville Dam; 57 Indians Fishing at Celilo; 58 4-H Club work; 59 Beautiful Girl on Beautiful White Horse; 60 Fire Department; 61 Wheat Field; 62 Inland Chief; 63 Typical Auto Wreck of 1950; 84 High School Band; 65 Com. Keith on Yacht; 66 Pulpit Rook Ceremonies; 67 Dr. T.E. Griffith; 68 High School Football Team; 69 Children of 1950.
No.70 Dufur Swimming Pool; 71 Lambing Time; 72 Flood 48 at Big Eddy; 73 Home Demonstration Work; 74 Jury at Work in 1948; 75 Motorcycles in Action; 76 Dufur Riding Club; 77 Tygh Fair Buildings; 78 Dalles Ferry in Ice; 80 Booster Girls in Portland; 81 Fire at 9 & Union; 82 Vets Selling Xmas Trees; 84 Union Oil Station; 85 Mrs. Harvey & Sons at Wamic; 86 Firemen Fixing Toys; 87 Pioneers Reunion; 88 Tom Ward & Co. H Overseas; 89 George Barker Dairy; 90 U.P. Train of 1950; 91 Earl Sawtell at Post Office; 92 Booster Girls; 93 Chamber of Commerce Building; 94 Santa Claus; 95 Typical Mother of 1945; 96 Eastern Star Costumes; Dalles in 1858; 98 Fort Dalles Bakery; 99 Surgeon's Quarters; 100 Palmer's Franklin; 106 Father and Daughter of 1900; 107 Courtney & Wink; 108 Fat Stock Show; 109 George Lindsay No. 1 photographer of The Dalles; 110 John Day Dam; 111 High School Band; 112 Pioneer Banquet; 113 Combining.
No. 114 Deer Hunting; 115 River Steamer Teal; 116 Parade 1950; 117 Henry Bertrand & Pat; 118 Skiing; 119 Seining on Columbia; 120 Mr. & Mrs. Carlton Williams & Son Griffith; 121 Steamer Georgia. Burton; 122 Booster Girls; 123 Baby Chick; 124 1945 PUD Board; 125 Catholic Church Spire; 126 The Old Reo; 127 Dalles-Celilo Railroad of 1863; 128 Legion Electric Car; 129 Legion Buick; 130 Horn Saloon; 131 Horse Combine; 132 1915 Celilo Canal Dedication; 133 Pioneer Play Cast; 134 Wasco Sun; 135 Old Costumes; 137 Class 1921 Reunion; 138 Legion Firing Squad 1951; 139 Auditorium Built 1921; 140 Penny's New Store; 141 School Board 1952; 142 Christmas Mail 1951; 143 Diane Christenson & Steer; 145 Vic Palmer & Frolics; 147 Henry Bertrand & Dog; 148 Picnickers of 1950; 149 4-H Club Work; 150 Implements of War.
CHERRY PARK GRANGE PICTURE PLATES
In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the first settlement of Pioneers in The Dalles, Cherry Park Grange in May 1952 had made for sale, Historical Picture Plates, made by the Vernon Kilns of Los Angeles, the world's largest manufacturer of historical picture plates. Views on the plates show:
1. The Surgeon's Quarters of Old Fort Dalles erected in 1854 and the only remaining Fort building.
2. Ezra Meeker's Dedication of the Marker in Union Street Park, at the end of the Old Oregon Trail.
3. Indians Fishing at Celilo Falls soon(1956)to be submerged by The Dalles Dam.
4. Pulpit Rock with Joseph Luxlello seated on top demonstrating how Jason Lee, Methodist Missionary of 1838, preached from the rock to the Indians; the pose was for B.A. Gifford Dalles photographer.
5. The Umatilla House of 1876 the most famous hotel on the Pacific coast at that time.
6. Steamer Bailey Gatzert, one of the fastest and nicest and most popular of Columbia river steamers which operated between The Dalles and Portland from 1896 to about 1917.
7. Wool Shipments being received at the Wasco Hill in 1896, a 10 horse team and 3 wagons; it took 30 days for a round-trip from The Dalles to Lakeview and return with wool by Jack McCullock, owner and driver of the team (mounted on horse); the other men in the photo are F.B. Saunders the ware-houseman for the mill, Leon Dawson, Chas. Dell, Milt Aiken. Between 1883 and 1902 The Dalles shipped 10,000,000 pounds of wool annually.
8. The Prineville Stage which operated between Shaniko and Prineville between 1902 and about 1915.
9. The 1854 date was when Wasco County was created by an act of the Oregon legislature. Between 1854 and 1862 Wasco County was the largest county in the U.S! -- it extended from the summit of the Cascade Mountains, on the Columbia at Cascade Locks, followed the Cascade Summit to the California boundary; thence east on the present Oregon and Idaho boundaries to Green River, Wyo., at the Summit of the Rocky Mountains, and the western border of the Territory of Nebraska; our eastern boundary followed the Summit of the Rocky Mountains to Butte, Montana and included Yellow-stone National Park; from there it followed a direct westerly line to the Columbia river and down to the summit of the Cascades at Cascade Locks, Oregon. It had an area of over 250,000 square miles! Once when Dan Butler was deputy sheriff he rode from The Dalles to Green River to get a man and the roundtrip took a month by saddle horse! -- 1000 miles each way! Fort Bridger was on our eastern boundary and Jim Bridger our "most far-eastern resident!" 1954 will mark our 100th anniversary as a county. (These plates sell for 2 each and every native should have one!)
© Jeffrey L. Elmer All Rights Reserved