The Hood River Glacier, Hood River, OR., June 2, 1933, page 1

Publication Is Started By George T. Prather
A.D. Moe, For Many Years Publisher, and Mrs. Moe Married on Day First Hood River Paper Issued

     The Hood River Glacier has a birthday this week.
     The pioneer Hood River Valley newspaper is 45 years old. The first issue was published in The Dalles on June 6, 1888. Geo. T. Prather, who now resides on the West Side, established the paper.
     Mr. Prather was in doubt as to what the name of the new publication should be. One afternoon late a group of men were discussing the christening of the young newspaper at the livery barn of the late C.R. Bone and the late E.S. Olinger. Some one of arrived from the highlands of the north side of Mount Hood, where a crew of Chinamen were engaged in building a road to Cloud Cap Inn, conceived and built by the Ladd family of Portland. The new arrival greeted the party with the news:
     "The Chinks have reached the Glacier," and in that moment was the new paper given its name.
     "Call it the Glacier," someone shouted, and Mr. Prather accepted it.
     Mr. Prather soon after the founding of the paper turned it over to the late John H. Cradlebaugh, one of Oregon's most distant gifted newspaper men and a poet worthy to be read by modern day Oregonians. The latter secured equipment and established a plant here. The late S.F. Blythe, father of E.N. Blythe, now publisher and editor of the Clark County Sun at Vancouver, Wash., because of ill health, came here from Portland, where he held records as a printer. He worked for Mr. Cradlebaugh, and later bought the paper.
     Mr. Blythe sold the paper, in 1904, to A.D. Moe, former publisher of South St. Paul, Minn., and Grand Forks, N.D. An interesting coincidence is that the Glacier's birthday and the wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Moe fall on the same day. They were married in Wisconsin, where Mr. Moe was employed as a printer, on the date the first Glacier was issued. Mrs. Moe's maiden name was Miss Matilda Walther.
     Mr. Moe remained active in the affairs of the paper until two years ago when he turned it over to his sons, Roger W. and Mark E. Moe.
     Joe D. Thomison, who recently returned to the Glacier as editor, was formerly associated with the paper for 19 years, having started his first work on New Year's Day, 1911.
     Except for the Mt. Hood hotel the Glacier is the oldest business institution in Hood River. The Glacier has long maintained friendly relations with the Paris Fair, oldest clothing store, and Perigo & Son, oldest grocery store. The only pioneer left among physicians is a Dr. H.L. Dumble.
     The pioneer newspaper witnessed the rapid development attendant on the introduction of the fruit industry. Those at the helm today predict a material upward trend in the not distant future for all of the Pacific northwest.

©  Jeffrey L. Elmer