The Hood River News, Hood River, OR., January 2, 1948, page 1


     First Church of Christ, Scientist will hold its first service in its new edifice on Seventh and Oak streets on Sunday, January 4, at 11 o'clock. The public is cordially invited to attend.
     The new building, which has been in the course of erection of Oak street for the past several months, is now completed and is modern in all details, and entirely worthy of the group embodying membership in the First Church of Christ, Scientist.
     This group for years met at the church at the head of Ninth street, which was sold, a year or so ago, to worshippers of another denomination.
     The new building is in every way adapted to the requirements of the members of the Christian Science faith, and its central location will be appreciated alike by resident and visiting members.

The Hood River News, Hood River, OR., September 23, 1949, page 2


     First Church of Christ, Scientist, Hood River, held its dedication services on Sunday, September 18, at 11 a.m., and, again at 4 in the afternoon.
     Christian Science churches are dedicated only when free from debt, and the reading of the history of the movement in this city of Hood River was an interesting part of the services on Sunday.
     Christian Science was introduced here in 1905 by one who has derived benefit from its teachings, and she was soon joined by a few interested friends who met for awhile in private homes for the study of the lesson. In the spring of 1909 the little group began holding meetings in public halls, moving from time to time as necessity arose, and a year later a Christian Science Society and Sunday school were organized.
     In April, 1914, the Society felt that its growth warranted the organization of a church, and a month later First Church of Christ, Scientists, Hood River, adopted its articles of incorporation.
     In the following year a building site on Ninth and Eugene streets was purchased and by June of 1916 a new church was completed, and dedication services held in October.
     As the years when on and it became evident that a church nearer the business section would better serve the public, so, by unanimous vote of the membership, the building was sold at the present site on Seventh and Oak streets, purchase.
     The cornerstone was laid on November 22, 1947, and with first service held in the new church on the first Sunday in 1948.

©  Jeffrey L. Elmer