Nathan Home Page Veale Home Page Nathan Index
Nathan Veal Sr. & Descendants
Nathan means gift of God.
These pages are copyright protected. Please check with the Veal List before making any copies.
You are our visitor since the beginning of this site, 8 January 2001.
The following file has been thoroughly researched, studied, and collaboration with several Veal researchers. If you have any questions, please contact the Veal List or Lynda. The Veal List is also able to furnish you with children of Generation 4. I hesitated to include them because of Privacy Issues.
1. Nathan1 Veal, Sr.;1,2,3 born circa 1750 at Amherst Co, VA; married Julianne Harris(?); married Jane Milstead, daughter of Joseph Milstead and (--?--) Rebecca, 18 Aug 1785 at Amherst Co., VA;4 died circa 1825 at Washington Co, GA.5,6
Among the trailblazers was Nathan Veal from VA.7
He began military service in the Revolutionary War while in Henry Co., VA, first as a Private, then as a Corporal. Nathan Veal served in John Cunningham's Company, Virginia Militia, under Colonel Abram Penn and General Nathaniel Green. His company was ordered on 11 March 1781 to march to North Carolina to join General Stevens Command in preparation for the battle of Guilford Court House.
He appeared on the census of 1785 at Amherst Co., VA.8
He appeared on the census of 1800 at
Spartanburg Co., SC.9
Nathan Veal, head:
3 males under 10; 1 male 10-16; 1 male over 45;
2 females under 10; 2 females between 10-16; 1 female between 16-26
Based on this census and then the next census - several of these children died young.
He appeared on the census of 1820 at page 163, Washington Co., GA.
1825 WASHINGTON COUNTY, GA TAX DIGEST
1. Page 121- Richard Thomason Admt. N. Veal, Snr. paid 86 cents, 7 1/2 mills on 210 acres and 40 acres on Buffalo Creek, Washington Co., GA and 490 acres in Appling Co., GA.
2. PAGE 122-NATHANIEL VEAL, paid 82 cents 3 3/4 mills on one tract of 140 acres pine land on the waters of the Buffalo, adjoining Leaptrot and one tract of 507 acres of pine land on the waters of Deepstep Creek adjoining Poole.
3. PAGE 122- JAMES H. VEAL, paid 31 cents 2 1/6 mills, one Poll Tax (noland) He is listed just below Nathaniel Veal as though he is part of his family.
4. PAGE 124- EDDY VEAL, paid $1.32 and 29 mills for one tract of 367acres of pine land on the waters of Deepstep Creek, adjoining Crooms and one tract of 300 acres of oak and hickory in Habersham County. He paid one poll tax for one slave.
5. PAGE 124 - GEORGE VEAL, paid $2.80 and 5 mills for one tract of 50acres pine land on the waters of Buffalo, joining Veale, one tract of 200acres on the Buffalo, adjoining Crooms and 490 acres of pine land in Irwin County. He paid 1 Poll Tax and for 3 slaves.
Southern Recorder issue dated 8 May 1826:
TO BE SOLD At the Courthouse in Sandersville, Washington County, on the first Tuesday in June next, ALL THE REAL ESTATE of NATHAN VEALE of said county,deceased, consisting of 210 acres of land with some improvement, lying on the waters of Buffalo Creek, adjoining George Veale and others - Also about 40 acres of woodland, sold for the benefit of the heirs and creditors of the said deceased. Signed, RICHARD THOMASON, Administrator.
Southern Recorder - (Legal Notice dated 7 July
Richard Thomason,Administrator, Estate of NATHAN VEAL, applies for Letters of Dismissal.
The following is just for researchers to ponder - they have no bearing on this file.
GEORGIA LAND LOTTERY RECORDS 1827 VEAL, VEALL,
VEALE No distinction in name spelling was made. These were the fortunate drawers in this
GA Land Lottery.
C&W ILLEG, #29 WASHINGTON Co., MANNINGS District:
GEORGE, SOLDIER, WASHINGTON Co. O'QUINNs District;
JAMES H. #23 WASHINGTON Co. O'QUINN'S District;
NATHAN (ILLEG). #11 TWIGGS CO. WIMBERLEYS District, (He could be the Sumpter Co., GA) Nathan Veal
WILLIAM #31 TWIGGS Co. GRAGGS District,
1830 TAX LIST: Edward Veal; George Veal; Nathan Veal, Junior; James H. Veal; Richard Veal;
1 July 1833 - EDWARD VEAL is appointed Guardian of SYNTHY VEAL, orphaned minor (?) of NATHAN VEAL. This record is in Hancock Co., GA 6 July 1840, Washington Co., GA, Letters Testamentary, Guardianship BookA, page 189. REUBEN BULLINGTON is appointed guardian of SYNTHA VEAL,' idiot child of NATHAN VEAL'.
There remain many unanswered questions about the father-son relationship of Nathan Veal Sr., Nathan, Jr., Edward, Thomas, William (of Wilkinson County)., and George. However, one thing does point to Nathan, Jr. and Edward as sons of Nathan, Sr. Edward had an idiot daughter, Jane, and Nathan, Jr. had some idiot grandchildren. This condition could have been inherited. There is also the suspicion that Carnaby, son of Francis Veal, was mentally retarded.
Known children of Nathan1 Veal, Sr. and Julianne Harris(?) were as follows:
was born between 1765 and 1769 at Amherst Co, VA.
FROM Bob Veale - Jane Milstead's DOB: We know that she and Nathan married in 1785 and likely as a very young woman, saying that she was between the age of 14-16, this would make the date of birth ca. 1769-1771, by the 1800 SC census, being listed as 16-26 would indicate her date of birth to be 1784-1794. Note, this would be next to impossible if she were married in1785, young, yes, but not 2-12 years old. Far too young for marriage. The dates of 1765-1769 would seem more likely.
Known children of Nathan1 Veal, Sr. and Jane Milstead were as follows:
Nathan Home Page Veale Home Page Nathan Index
2. Nathan2 Veal Jr. (Nathan1);13,14,15 born circa 1779 at Henry Co.???, VA; married Sarah (Sallie) Thomason, daughter of Richard Thomason and Charity Whitacer, circa 1804; died circa 30 Sep 1865 at Washington Co, GA; buried at Veal Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
The 1850 Washington Co., Ga. census taken on Nov. 15th in the 91st Division, p. 265A, line 10, family 943, shows: Nathan (71) and Sarah(63) Vealle, living with 4 others: Uriah W. (28), Burrell W. (25),Julian (20, female) and Augustus A. C. (4/12, female).
The 1850 Sumter Co., Ga. census for the 28th
Dist. taken on the 8th of Nov., p. 211, line 12, family & dwelling #947, shows: Nathan
(37) and Lucinda (37) Veal, living with 4 females: Sarah (11), Mary (7), Margian(4) and
Missouri (3). Nathan is a farmer with $1000 in real estate.Neither he nor Lucinda can read
or write. All were born in Ga.
Considering the two censuses above, we can all conclude that Nathan Veal, Jr. did not marry Sallie Thompson and Lucinda Meadows.
Since Nathan (age 80) was living with his son Uriah on the 1860 census, it is probably safe to assume that Sallie died sometime between the 1850 and 1860 census. We know from published legal notices and from the 1825 Washington Co.,Ga. tax digest that Nathan Veal, Sr. died sometime prior to the 1825 tax digest. We know from this that Nathan's father was not the man (aged 80-90) living with him on the 1830 census. This man was more than likely Nathan's father-in-law, Richard Thomason, who was also the administrator of Nathan Veal, Sr.'s estate in 1825.
Nathan Veal Jr., 1820, Washington Co., GA Peabody District, listed as head-of-family
Nathan Veal Jr., 1840 Census, Washington County, GA
Nathan Veal Jr., b. 1779 in Henry County, Virginia, d. in Washington County, Georgia after 1860. He was listed as 80 years old. He married Sallie Thomason in 1805/6. She was born in Amherst County, Virginia,circa 1787, d. after 1850 but before 1860.
Nathan Jr. built a log house known as Nathan
Veal Place and is located 2.5 miles from Deepstep, GA on the Veal Road. He is buried
in the Old Veal Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co., GA. Sallie Thomason is also buried
1865 - Washington Co, GA Letters of Administration Book, p. 260, Oct 2, 1865 appointing John T. Veal, Principal and Daulphin Mills, Security ($2,000.00) for the Estate of Nathan Veal. In the Letters of Administration Book, p. 260 states, 'Nathan Veal, deceased, died intestate... and John T. Veal is appointed as Administrator', dated Oct 2, 1865.
1865.....Washington Co, GA Inventory and Appraisement Book B, p. 86,Estate of Nathan Veal, Jr. dated Oct 11, 1865 - $457.00. It is certified by Justice of Peace William N. Veal, son of John T. Veal, grandson of Nathan Veal, Jr. 1865.
Washington County GA Sales Book C- page 423-424 Estate of Nathan Veal, Jr. Record dated October 12, 1865. The usual household goods are listed and were mostly bought by his children. 1865......Washington County GA Return Book G, page 294-June 1866- Estate of Nathan Veal expenses filed by John T. Veal dated for the year 1865.
May 11, 1871 - FINAL RETURN filed by John T. Veal that states 'interest from October 1, 1865'. Note: The phrase 'interest from October 1, 1865' is the clue to Nathan,Jr.'s death date. Interest would begin accruing on his estate on the first day after his death, hence, September 30, 1865.
Sarah (Sallie) Thomason was born in 1787 at Amherst Co ??, VA. She died circa 1859 at Washington Co, GA. She was buried at Veal Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
In the Central Georgian (newspaper)dated July
3, 1856 Sarah Veal has a letter at the Post Office in Sandersville and in the issue dated
January 5, 1859, Mrs. Sarah Veal had a letter at the Post Office. Since Sarah was the only
Mrs. Sarah Veal living in the area at this time, and since she is not on the 1860
Washington County Georgia Census, I would calculate her approximate death date as sometime
There is circumstantial evidence that she might be the daughter of Richard Thomason and Charity Whitacer. There is an undated marriage record for Richard Thomason and Charity Whitacer in Henry Co. VA that says they were married between the dates of 1 Oct 1781 and 20 Mar 1782.
DARIEN BAPTIST CHURCH RECORDS - 1841-1863 VOL. 2 - Minutes and Roll - December 1847 - Ordered in Church Conference that Nathan Veal and wife, Sarah, have Letters of Dismission. Sarah's name was later crossed out. It should be noted a 'letter of dismission' meant you were leaving the church in good standing and were going to unite with another church. You would take your 'letter' with you. On the Church Roll by Nathan's name is marked Dis. and by Sarah's the Dis. has been crossed out and dead has been entered. There are no dates by either entry.
1865 Washington County GA Return Book G, page 294-June 1866- Estate of Nathan Veal expenses filed by John T. Veal dated for the year 1865. May 11, 1871 - FINAL RETURN filed by John T. Veal the following persons are listed with identical cash amounts: John B. Spann; W. H. Hall; John Boyer; R. H. Veal; J. H. Veal; W. M. Veal; B. W. Veal; R. L. Andrews; U. W. Veal; John T. Veal. A fee for the Return and a fee for Letters of Dismission. This return is dated May 11, 1871.
Known children of Nathan2 Veal Jr. and Sarah (Sallie) Thomason were as follows:
3. Edward2 Veal (Nathan1);16 born circa 1781; married (--?--) Elizabeth circa 1804; married Martha Ann Chambers 7 Nov 1838; died May 1870 at Washington Co., GA.17
He was declared insane the last year or so of his life and his son, Andrew Jackson, 'Jack', was named as guardian. The 1860 census, gives Edward's name as 'Edy'. This is more than likely the nickname he has been called all his life.
He was appointed Guardian of Syntha Veal, 'idiot daughter of Nathan Veal' in Hancock County, GA in 1833. In the early records of Washington County, he seems to be more conspicuous than Nathan, Jr., George, or Thomas. His name can be found on many early jury lists, he does not seem to have held any kind of public office, nor attained any kind of wealth.
Known children of Edward2 Veal and (--?--) Elizabeth were as follows:
Known children of Edward2 Veal and Martha Ann Chambers were as follows:
6. George2 Veal (Nathan1);18,19 born circa 1791; married Ellender Thomason between 1814 and 1815; died 7 Jul 1865.
George was a Private in Captain Edmond Hopson's Company of GA Militia in the regiment commanded by Col. Ignatius A. Few from September 23, 1814 through March 2, 1815. He received a Bounty Land Warrant of 80 Acres for his service in 1851. He had sold this land by 1856. (Bounty Land and War of 1812 records are at the Georgia Archives in Atlanta, GA.)
After George's death, Richard L. Andrews, son-in-law of Nathan Jr., was appointed Administrator of his estate on September 16, 1865 under bond for $12,000. George owned 1200 acres of land and personal goods which were valued at $4,150.00. In Washington Co. Deed Book B, page 628, The land located on Buffalo and Tiger Creeks was sold to A. C. Duggan for $500.00. Richard L Andrews had not made any disposition of the estate that could be found before his death in 1883. The family hired lawyers to retrieve their assets, but were able to get only $300.00 from the Estate of Richard L. Andrews!! E. A.Sullivan, County Administrator, was named as Administrator of George's Estate March 3, 1884 when the money was distributed. By the time lawyers fees, court cost, etc were paid, the family only received $150.00!! E. A.Sullivan received Letters of Dismission 11 January 1886.
In the Washington County Return Book H, there was not a listing of the heirs individually, but a lump sum paid to their attorney 'for the heirs'.
The sale of his personal goods in 1866 brought $1,595.15. The vast majority of items were bought by his son, Thomas Jefferson Veal. Some livestock and chains were bought by his son-in-law John C. Pace. A lock and chain and a turning plow were bought by Simon Hood, but no other names of sons or suspected daughters were in the list.
There is only circumstantial evidence for these two people believed to be children of George. They do fit his family profile and lived very near him. They are: Irwin F. Veal, born ca 1819-20, died ca 1864-66, married in Hancock County GA 23 Nov 1845 Martha Speights, born ca 1825, died after 1900.Irwin lived near George Veal over the line in Hancock County. I think he was a CSA who died during the Civil War, but I could find no record for him as such. The fact that that he was dead might explain the absence of his name from the sales list of George's estate in 1866. Julianne F. Veal, born ca 1825, died before 1900, married ca 1845-46Simon Hood, born ca 1815, died before 1900. On the 1850 Washington County Census, she is listed as Julian F. in the household of Simon Hood and is 25 years old with two boys 3 and 1. On the 1860 Census, she is listed as Ann Veal in the household of Simon Hood and is 35 years old. On the 1880 census, she is again listed as Julian F. and is 56 years old. Simon bought a turning plow and a lock and chain from George's estate sale in 1866.
Ellender Thomason was born circa 1794. She died on 25 May 1855 at Washington Co, GA.20 Her obituary was in the Central Georgian issue for May 31,1855.
Known children of George2 Veal and Ellender Thomason were as follows:
Reference #3: The 1850 Louisiana census for the town of Shreveport in Caddo Co., taken on
10/30/50, p. 337, line 4, dwelling 136,
family 137 shows 5 white men living in the same
H. M. Farrior (30, mail contractor, b. N.C.);
A. M. Veal (26, Physician,b. Ga.); T. B.
Adams (21, Farmer, b. Tenn);
A. Donagan (30, laborer, b.Germany) and
I. L. Fowler (26, laborer, b. N.C.).
The 1820, 1830 and 1840 census ages for the child believed to be Dr. A. M. Veal, seem to support that he was born sometime between 1820 &1825 which also falls in line with the 1850 Louisiana census above.
Nathan Home Page Veale Home Page Nathan Index
7. James H.3 Veal (Nathan2, Nathan1);21 born 1805 at GA; married Mary Emily Miller, daughter of William Miller and (--?--) Argent, 24 Feb 1831 at Hancock Co, GA; married Martha McClellan, daughter of John McCellan and Clarissa Lee, 19 Jan 1837; married Martha Matilda Underwood 27 Jan 1842 at Greene Co, GA; died 1 Oct 1892 at Hancock Co, GA.
Death date can be found in Hancock Co. Minute Book 1, page 429-430 when I. M. Wood applied for Letters Testamentary as Executor of his estate.
Mary Emily Miller was born in 1810 at Hancock Co, GA. She died circa 1836.
Known children of James H.3 Veal and Mary Emily Miller both born at Hancock Co, GA, were as follows:
Martha McClellan was born circa 1818. She died on 30 Jul 1840. Martha's death notice was recorded in the Christian Index on Aug 20, 1841 (a memoriam). "died at teh residence of her father, John Maclellan, in Hancock Co., Ga., Martha Veal, wife of James H. Veal, on the 30th of July, 1840, in the 23rd year of her age. She had been for some years an exemplary and pious member of the baptist Church, and died in the faith of the gospel, saying mear the close of life, that she fel Jesus precious to her soul. She left an infant daughter, her only child, about six months old......".
Known children of James H.3 Veal and Martha McClellan were:
Martha Matilda Underwood was born circa 1821. She died in Nov 1860.22 Martha Matilda Underwood died of Typhoid Fever in Nov 1860. Her death was recorded in the GA Mortality Records for 1860.
Known children of James H.3 Veal and Martha Matilda Underwood all born at Hancock Co, GA, were as follows:
In Hancock Co., GA Sales Book, page 213, is the following notation dated July 12, 1917. Miss Josephine C. Veal, Est.- Sale Bill of Property. Miss Josephine C. Veal deceased - by J. A. Wood, Administrator of Estate. After due and legal advertisement on the ? Day of December 1916, between the legal hours of sale, at public outcry at the Courthouse door Sparta, Georgia, the terms of the sale being cash. 68 acres of land to A. P. Bland for $920.00
Assumed to be the daughter of James H Veal only because of a hand drawn plat that says 'Plat of lands of the estate of James H Veal, late of said county (Hancock Co, GA) situated in 11th district-containing four hundred and ten 9/10 acres and a division of this land surveyed for division on Aug 1 & 2, 1893' by S E Pearson. In this plat it is divided between: Josephine Veal, Sarah C Veal, Martha M Meadows, Louisa J Wood, Virginia C Veal and Georgia A Yarbrough. Bordering property division of Louisa J Wood is Isaac M Wood and J M Harrison. Bordering Josephine Veal is James Underwood and Myles Underwood. Bordering the other property is J M Harrison, James M Archer, William Stanley and looks like Pierce Peeler. Louisa may have gone by the nickname of 'LOU'
8. Richard Hartwell (Hart)3 Veal (Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1807; married (--?--) Frances circa 1824 at GA; died after May 1871.
Richard was commissioned 1st Lt. of the 99th Co. of Militia (ref: Military Commissions 1834-1835, page 91 at GA State Archives) and he was commissioned Captain of the 99th Co. of Militia in March 1835 (page 360).
Family legend says he was called 'Hart', was married twice and that he moved 'down below' Hawkinsville, GA before 1860. He appeared on the census of 1830 at Washington Co., GA.
(--?--) Frances was born circa 1803 at SC. She died before 1870.
Known children of Richard Hartwell (Hart)3 Veal and (--?--) Frances were as follows:
'Marriage Records Vol. 1-4' (1833-1863) of Sumter Co.' by the DAR (Daughters of American Revolution): Seaborn J. Veal m. Flora Ray on 19 July 1855 in Sumter Co., Ga. It also shows that Flora Veal m. Robert A. Murphey on 18 Nov. 1859. (Another record shows 18 Nov. 1858).
9. John T.3 Veal, Sr. (Nathan2, Nathan1); born 7 Jun 1810; married Sarah Jane Hall, daughter of William Hall and Sarah Hicklin, 14 Feb 1833 at Washington Co, GA; married Mary P. Hart 18 Oct 1866; died 18 Feb 1886 at Washington Co, GA, at age 75.
Sarah Jane Hall was born on 12 Feb 1817. She died on 5 Oct 1858 at age 41.
Known children of John T.3 Veal, Sr. and Sarah Jane Hall were as follows:
Co, GA newspaper clippings: Volume I, 1852-1866 by Tad Evans, Compiler, page 260, The
Central Georgian in it's April 10, 1861 edition under Company Roster, Washington Rifles -
Privates: Reuben H. Veal.
Research by Gwen Kendall Hall, page 199: Mary Ella Clay was the widow of Rabun's cousin, Rueben H. Veal, who was killed in the Civil War.
At the National Archives is a set of books 'Confederate Graves Roster' Vol. 1-6. Vol. 4, p. 27 shows that 'Reuben H. Veal of Co. H, 2nd Ga. State Line is buried in the Confederate Section of the Forsyth City Ceme. in Monroe Co., Ga. No dates were given. He is buried in an unmarked grave.'
Mary P. Hart was born circa 1830. She married Thomas Orr. She died in 1892.
There were no known children of John T.3 Veal, Sr. and Mary P. Hart.
11. Malinda W.3 Veal (Nathan2, Nathan1); born 5 Apr 1814; married William Hicklin Hall, son of William Hall and Sarah Hicklin, 19 Oct 1838; died 14 May 1902 at age 88; buried at Hall Family Cemetery, Washington Co, GA.
William Hicklin Hall was born on 5 May 1815. He died on 28 Apr 1888 at age 72. He was buried at Hall Family Cemetery, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Malinda W.3 Veal and William Hicklin Hall were as follows:
12. William Madison (Matt)3 Veal (Nathan2, Nathan1); born 3 Apr 1818; married Mahalia Ann Hilliard, daughter of William Hilliard and Polly Daniel, 7 Nov 1842 at Stewart Co, GA; died 30 Oct 1900 at age 82.
Their marriage is recorded in Stewart Co., GA Marriage Book H-2 page 46, No. 215. It is said he met his wife when he attended a 'frolic' at the home of Jasper Daniel near Irwin's Crossroad, which was a pretty good journey from Deepstep on horseback or buggy for a young man in those days with some unfriendly Indians still in the territory! They lived there a few years before returning to Washington County during the early 1850's.
Mahala Anna's obituary can be found in the Sandersville Herald issue dated 27 Nov 1879.
William Madison, 'Matt', Veal is one of the better known Veal ancestors and probably has more descendants still living in the Washington County, Georgia and surrounding area than any of his relatives. His grand children called him 'Grand Pap'. He obviously was a very good husband, father and grandfather. He raised his daughter's( Louanna or Lu Ann) children after both her and his wife's death in 1879.
His will can be found in Washington County, Georgia, Will Book B, page563-64. He was a member of Deepstep Methodist Church and is buried in the Nathan, Jr. Veal (John Westley Veal) Cemetery just outside of Deepstep.
Mahalia Ann Hilliard was born on 15 Oct 1825 at Dooley Co, GA. She died on 15 Nov 1879 at age 54.
Known children of William Madison (Matt)3 Veal and Mahalia Ann Hilliard were as follows:
13. Saletha M. A.3 Veal (Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1820; married John Boyer 25 Feb 1840; died between 1870 and 1880.
John Boyer was born circa 1809 at Hancock Co, GA. He died between 1880 and 1890.
Known children of Saletha M. A.3 Veal and John Boyer were as follows:
14. Uriah Wesley3 Veal (Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1821; married Amanda Lou Reese 2 Oct 1864; died before 1900.
Uriah Wesley lived with Nathan, Jr. after his mother's death. He and Nathan Jr. are shown on the 1860 Washington County Census living together.
In Deed Book A, page 219 Nathan Veal sells Uriah Veal 70 acres for $400.00, dated 9 Jan1860 and recorded 28 Aug 1867. The land was on the Waters of the Buffalo Creek adjoining George Veal, Edward Veal, et al. He was nearly forty years old before he married and nearly 25 years older then his wife. His mother-in-law is shown on the 1880 Washington Co. census living in his household.
On the Estate Sales record for Nathan, Jr., he bought the family Bible! He also bought a 'waiter' (Tray) and decanter. He applied for Homestead exemption in Washington Co., GA, Homestead Records, Book A, page 23 on December 20,1893.
He claimed his wife and two minor children - however, on the 1890 Washington Co., GA Census in the Probate Judge's office, he is listed with no wife, one minor daughter, Alice, 16, and one married daughter, Florence, 23.
He was living in the Oconee area when he applied for a CSA pension in April of 1895. The application stated he had no wife and two girls who were married and that he was living with first one then another child. He enlisted in the Georgia Militia, Captain Tom Wells Co and was in Augusta, GA at surrender. He stated he had no property and asked for a pension on his 'age and poverty'. He also stated that he was partially paralyzed and could not move about. An affidavit by Dr. L.A. Graybill states that 'he had a stroke about four years previously and is partially paralyzed on his left side, locomotion is considerably impaired.'
Amanda Lou Reese was born circa 1845. She died circa 1894.
Known children of Uriah Wesley3 Veal and Amanda Lou Reese were as follows:
15. Burrell Washington3 Veal (Nathan2, Nathan1); born 22 Jul 1822; married Julia Ann Gladden, daughter of Solomon Gladden, 1 Feb 1849; died Oct 1907 at age 85.
On the 1900 Census record, she said she was the mother of ten children with eight living.
Julia Ann Gladden was born in Mar 1827. She died after 1900.
Known children of Burrell Washington3 Veal and Julia Ann Gladden were as follows:
17. Harriett Helena3 Veal (Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1828; married Richard Lee Andrews, son of Green Andrews and Mary Reeves, circa 1846; died 20 Mar 1883. Notice of death was in Sandersville Herald
Richard Lee Andrews30 was born circa 1825. He died on 31 Dec 1882. Notice of death was in the Sandersville Herald dated January 4, 1883.
When Green Andrews moved to TX, Richard succeeded to the land of his grandfather, Wm Lee Reeves, on Buffalo Creek, 99th Dist, Deepstep Community. At that time the Richard Andrews' holdings were important, but the devastation of the Civil War left nothing. Property that he had purchased for $6500 in 1860 brought $1200 from the highest bidder in1876. Red hair is said to be a characteristic of the Andrews Clan.
Known children of Harriett Helena3 Veal and Richard Lee Andrews were as follows:
18. Jordan Franklin3 Veal (Edward2, Nathan1); born circa 1818 at GA; married Martha Wagers 12 Feb 1838 at Hancock Co, GA; married Mariah Eikner, daughter of Philip Eikner and Winford Eikner, 30 Dec 1848 at Washington Co, GA; died 11 May 1888 at Washington Co, GA; buried at Veal Cemetery, Washington Co, GA.
Martha Wagers was buried at Veal Cemetery, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Jordan Franklin3 Veal and Martha Wagers were:
Mariah Eikner was born circa 1822 at SC. She died after 1890.
Known children of Jordan Franklin3 Veal and Mariah Eikner were as follows:
19. Mary3 Veal (Edward2, Nathan1); born between 1820 and 1822; married Thomas B. Snyder 18 Mar 1849 at Washington Co, GA; died between 1850 and 1855.
Thomas B. Snyder died before 1860.
Known children of Mary3 Veal and Thomas B. Snyder were:
20. Sarah M. (Sallie)3 Veal (Edward2, Nathan1); born between 1824 and 1825; died between 1890 and 1900. She married Willaim Cone. William Cone died on 18 Feb 1886.
Known children of Sarah M. (Sallie)3 Veal and William Cone were:
23. George Washington3 Veal (Edward2, Nathan1); born Aug 1839; married Ella Nora Hitchcock, daughter of Turner R. Hitchcock and Sarah Clay, 18 Dec 1862; died Dec 1904 at age 65.
There are family stories that attribute George with a very mean disposition and given to much 'cussin'. It is said that he died of a heart attack in a fit of temper while working in his fields. He enlisted in the CSA 4 Mar 1862 with his relatives, Rueben and James M. Veal, in Co. C, 49th Regiment, GA Volunteer Infantry, Army of Northern VA, Washington Co., GA, 'Washington Guards'. He drew a land share in the Estate of Edward Veal.
Ella Nora Hitchcock was born circa Aug 1843. She died after 1910.
Known children of George Washington3 Veal and Ella Nora Hitchcock were as follows:
24. Amanda Marinda3 Veal (Edward2, Nathan1); born circa 1841; married George W. Cox 9 Apr 1860.
George W. Cox was born circa 1840. Their marriage was in The Central Georgian issue dated April 18, 1860. She drew for a land share in the Estate of Edward Veal.
Known children of Amanda Marinda3 Veal and George W. Cox were as follows:
26. Andrew Jackson (Jack)3 Veal (Edward2, Nathan1); born circa 1845; married Annelizziebeth Roberts, daughter of James Benjamin Roberts and Arianna Watson, 22 Oct 1878; died 15 Jul 1890.
Annelizziebeth Roberts (this is the spelling of her name in her father's Bible, but her own Bible shows it as Anna Elizabeth Roberts.)
Known children of Andrew Jackson (Jack)3 Veal and Annelizziebeth Roberts were as follows:
27. Solomon B.3 Veal (Edward2, Nathan1); born circa 1848; married Mary Haygood 2 May 1869; died after 1900.
He was in Milledgeville in Allen's Invalid Home for the Insane on the Baldwin Co, GA Soundex for1900. He drew a share in the Estate of Edward Veal.
Known children of Solomon B.3 Veal and Mary Haygood were:
30. Thomas Jefferson3 Veal (George2, Nathan1); born 11 Sep 1827; married Rhoda Ann O'Quinn, daughter of Judge Bryant O'Quinn and Gracy ??, 22 Jan 1857; died 13 Mar 1899 at age 71.
He enlisted in the Confederate States Army on July 14, 1862 Savannah, GA in Chatham's Artillery. He was discharged in Greensboro, NC on 26 Apr 1865. Rhoda applied for a widow's pension 21 Oct 1912 and had to have a sworn statement for his service. Her pension payment is also the source of her death date.
Rhoda Ann O'Quinn was born in Jun 1842 at Washington Co, GA. She died on 21 Apr 1924 at Baldwin Co, GA, at age 81. She was buried at Veal-Prosser Cemetery, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Thomas Jefferson3 Veal and Rhoda Ann O'Quinn were as follows:
Nathan Home Page Veale Home Page Nathan Index
35. William H.4 Veal (James3, Nathan2, Nathan1);31,32 born Oct 1833 at Hancock Co, GA; married Emily Smedley, daughter of John Smedley and Charlotte Skinner, 15 Jan 1857 at Chambers Co, AL; married Martha Susan Ussery, daughter of Calvin J. Ussery and Nancy Ann, between 1874 and 1880; died 10 Jan 1902 at Henrietta, TX, at age 68; buried 11 Jan 1902 at Hope Cemetery, Henrietta, TX (Source: Forrest Veal)
He and Emily Smedley were Type: Performed by Daniel Harriett, Justice of the Peace. He and Emily Smedley were Married in the home of the bride's parents, John & Charlotte Skinner Smedley. ML V5 #398-1 issued to Wm H Veal & Emily Smedley, Jan 15, 1857 by Daniel Harris at res. John Smeadley.
1860 Chambers Co, Al Census: Chambers Co
The following is research done by Forrest Veal: I had a good week researching as I went to Henrietta, Texas and found proof that William H. Veal is buried there. At the Hope Cemetery in Henrietta, I found in an original Cemetery Registry Book for 1886 to 1982 the following. W. H. Veal, place of birth - Millage, Ga., date of death Jan. 10, 1902, Date of Burial - Jan. 11, 1902, Locality of Death - Henrietta, Cause of Death - Consumption, Buried in Block - Old Yard, Lot 131. The grave is no longer marked, but two graves in the Lot are still marked and the location agrees with other cemetary records. This information differs from some information on the Internet that say she died in 1907 in Beaumont, TX. It would be interesting to find out the source and what evidence someone has to show a W. H. Veal died in 1907 in Beaumont. Based on the information in Henrietta that is readable handwriting plus a great grand daughter remembering being taken to Henrietta to visit his grave, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the William H. Veal I have been searching. He could have been born in Milledgeville, Ga. as I haven't found a Millage, GA. He had relatives in Baldwin County and Millegeville is the County Seat. He lived in Hancock Co. Georgia and Millegeville is the largest, closest town. Also, the statement that he died in Henrietta and the cause of death shows he did not die in Beaumont.
I am checking with the Courthouse to see if a death certificate is filed. I do know that his death was never registered with the State of Texas so I do not expect to find a death certificate.
I am also trying to find out why he was in Henrietta. Not far from his grave are several graves from a Taylor family. His daughter, Blanche, had come to Texas to marry a Wiston G. 'Wint' Taylor.
The Henrietta Independent newspaper for the week of 1/17/1902, 'W. H. Veal, whose death was noted last week, was buried at 10 o'clock Saturday morning with Masonic honors. Funeral services were conducted at the grave by Rev E L Antony.'
In reviewing the newspaper issues for Feb 14, 1902 & Apr 18, 1902, I did find the following: In the Feb issue, an advertisement by a T D Veal the Groceryman, 'I take this method of informing the citizens of Henrietta and surrounding country that I have bought the stock of goods owned by Mr. Marlin Putty and will be found in his old stand on East side of the square with a full line of first class goods, and I solicit a portion of your trade. If you need anything in my line command us.'
In the Apr 18issue, the following ad: VEAL & COLEMAN - The up to Date Grocers, EastSide Square.'
At the courthouse, T D Veal bought property in Henrietta on Jan 24, 1902 and then 160 acres in Clay Co. on Apr 7, 1902.
William H. Veal was born in Georgia and lived there until the early1850's. It is known from his sister's grave marker that he moved from Hancock County, GA to Chambers County, AL in 1848 to live with his mother's parents, William and Margaret Miller. William H. is shown living with his father in the 1850 census for Hancock County, GA but was living in Chambers County, AL by 1853 when his grandfather William Miller died.The reason for William H. and his sister moving to live with their mother's parents is not known.
Census of 1860 at Hickory Flat, Chambers Co, AL, Grocer.
Census of 1900 at Randolph Co, AL, Salesman.
Emily Smedley33 was born on 27 Nov 1837 at GA. She died on 14 Jul 1879 at Randolph Co, AL, at age 41. She was buried at Big Springs Church Cemetery, Randolph Co, AL.
Known children of William H.4 Veal and Emily Smedley were as follows:
Henrietta Independent newspaper: Feb 14, 1902: 'T D Veal, the groceryman - I take this method of informing the citizens of Henrietta and surrounding country that I have bought the stock of goods owned by Mr Marlin PUtty and will be found in his old stand on East side of the square with a full line of first class goods, and I solicit a portion of your trade. If you need anything in my line, command us.' Apr 18, 1902 Advertisement: Veal & Coleman - The Up to Date Grocery -East Side Square.
At the following site 'www.wf.net/wfmaier/smyrna-cemetery.htm!', burial records: Thomas D Veal, b Jan 21, 1866, d Aug 7,1907, husband of S T. The Smyrna Cemetery is in Montague Co, TX just east of Clay Co. The cemetery is NW of Sunset, TX on Hwy 1749. Also, buried in the cemetery is another Veal, Bill Bob Veal, bo 8/17/1900, d10/31/1919 (Woodman of the World Memorial).
At somepoint they moved to Waco in McClellan County, TX where their second child was born . In 1902, when William H. Veal died they were in Henrietta,Clay County, TX.
Martha Susan Ussery was born circa 1839. She died on 1 Mar 1896 at High Shoals, Randolph Co, AL.
Known children of William H.4 Veal and Martha Susan Ussery were:
43. John H.4 Veal (Richard3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1825; married Rebecca Cone 24 May 1848 at Baldwin Co, GA; married Sarah J. Miller 1887; died 8 Nov 1906.
They were married in Baldwin Co. GA and notice of the marriage can be found in the Southern Recorder. Rebecca's obituary can be found in The Sandersville Herald, dated 17 May 1883.
On the 1900 Census, they are shown in H/H 56 in 100 GM D of Washington Co.,GA with daughter Sallie R. Veal, age 33 and grand daughter Nonie Veal age13. Sallie later lived with Nonie before Nonie's death. John H. and Sarah J. had no children.
Sandersville Progress issue for December 6, 1906. Obituary for JOHN H. VEAL Written by his pastor A. S. Avant Sacred to memory of Mr. J. H. Veal who died at his home near Deepstep on the 8th day of November 1906. Bro. Veal had past his four score years, being 81 years of age. He was a member of Smyrna Church and by his love for the church he endeared himself to the entire membership. As long as his strength and health would permit he was always in his place, and by his well ordered life and Godly consecration he proved to the world that he was just what he professed to be, a consecrated follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in his last days he was heard to say that he would not live always but rather depart and be with his Lord. He was buried in the cemetery at Smyrna and the funeral service was conducted in the church that he loved so well by his pastor, A. S. Avant, and the large audience that attended the funeral was high testimony that he was appreciated by people who knew him. He was twice married, he first married Mrs. Rebecca Cone, who long since preceded him to a better land. He leaves three sons and six daughters and many grandchildren and some great grandchildren and many other friends and relatives to mourn for him. His second wife was Miss Sarah Miller, who still survives him almost heartbroken. Well done thy good and faithful servant rest from thy long employ.
He and Rebecca can be found on the 1850 Washington Co. Census, p. 272,H/H 1033. John H. .... age 22 Rebecca ... age 21 Marjian.......age 1
1860 Washington Co., GA Census, p. 285, H/H #953, Family 933. John H. ......age 33 Rebecca.....age 28 Five children listed
1870 Washington Co., GA Census, p. 2, GMD100, H/H 16, Family 15. John B. ......age 44 Rebecca.....age 38 Eight children listed
1880 Washington Co., GA Census, p. 1, GMD99, H/H 9. John............age 54 Rebecca......age 53 Three daughters aged 12-17 Hartwell.......age 10
1900 Washington Co., GA Census GMD 100, H/H 156. John H. .......age 76....birth year 1824 Sarah J. ......age 52....birth mo/yr Sept. 1847 Sarah 'Sallie'...age 33...daughter Nonie...........age 13.........grand daughter
Rebecca Cone was born in 1829. She died on 14 May 1883.
Known children of John H.4 Veal and Rebecca Cone were as follows:
Sarah J. Miller was born in Sep 1847.
There were no known children of John H.4 Veal and Sarah J. Miller.
45. James H.4 Veal (Richard3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1830; married Matilda (Mattilou) Cox 17 Oct 1853.
He and Matilda are first found on Census records for Washington Co., Ga in 1860, p. 284, H/H 943, Family 923: James.......age 25 Matilda......age 23 3 children
1870 Washington Co., GA Census, p. 2, GMD 100, H/H 17, Family 16: James.......age 37 Matlida......age 33 5 daughters Their oldest son, Andrew Jackson Veal, died in February of Epilepsy(Mortality Schedule). A younger son, Ambrose, had already died. James and Matilda are not found in the Washington Co. Census again.
Matilda (Mattilou) Cox was born circa 1837.
Known children of James H.4 Veal and Matilda (Mattilou) Cox were as follows:
52. Sarah Elizabeth (Lizzie)4 Veal (John3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 4 May 1834 at Washington Co, GA; married John Augustus (Gus) Martin 13 Jan 1861 at Washington Co, GA; died 4 Aug 1907 at Davisboro, Washington Co, GA, at age 73.
Lizzie's Bible has been published in Georgia Bibles on page 70. She also had included a sheet for John T. and her siblings. She appeared on the census of 1880 as Lizzie.
John Augustus (Gus) Martin was born on 6 Jan 1835 at Davisboro, Washington Co, GA.
Benjamin S Boatright married Melisa Pauline Veal making John Martin his brother-in-law (Marr. Washington Co, GA newspaper clipping, Volume I, 1852-1866 by Tad Evans,Compiler, page 301, The Central Georgian, in its June 4, 1862 edition,under Muster Roll of the Rudisill Artillery - Privates shows: John Augustus Martin.
He appeared on the census of 1850 at Washington Co, GA-listed as living in the residence of Geo W Massey.
1860 Census at Enumerated in the residence of Middleton Pool. Listed as overseer. Washington Co, GA-listed.
2 Jun 1880 Census at GA - Family resided in dwelling house # 29. District 90, Washington Co, GA-
Known children of Sarah Elizabeth (Lizzie)4 Veal and John Augustus (Gus) Martin were as follows:
53. William Nathan4 Veal (John3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 10 Apr 1836; married Marium T. Hitchcock, daughter of Turner R. Hitchcock and Sarah Clay, 19 Dec 1861; died 16 Jun 1870 at age 34.
He was named Administrator for the Estate of William Hall with Uriah M. Veal as security on 1 Apr 1867. He was a Justice of the Peace. He died with Typhoid Fever and is listed on the1870 Washington County Mortality Schedule. William may be buried at the Hall Family Cemetery near Deepstep. Marium is buried at Sisters Church.
Marium T. Hitchcock was born on 28 May 1842. She died on 10 Jun 1923 at age 81. She was buried at Sisters Church Cemetery, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of William Nathan4 Veal and Marium T. Hitchcock were as follows:
58. Malissa Pauline4 Veal (John3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 8 Dec 1845 at Washington Co, GA; married Benjamin Sessions Boatright, son of George E. Boatright and Elizabeth Sessions, 9 Nov 1866 at Washington Co, GA; died 20 Mar 1932 at Tennille, Washington Co, GA, at age 86; buried at Zeta Cemetery, Tennille, GA.
Benjamin Sessions Boatright was born on 26 Jul 1842. He died on 20 Dec 1920 at age 78. He was buried at Zeta Cemetery, Tennille, GA.
Washington Co, GA newspaper clippings: Volume I, 1852-1866 by Tad Evans,Compiler, page 260, The Central Georgian in it's April 10, 1861 edition under Company Roster, Washington Rifles - Privates: Benjamin Sessions Boatright
Washington Co, GA newspaper clippings: Volume I, 1852-1866 by Tad Evans,Compiler, page 300, The Central Georgian in it's July 8, 1863 edition under Muster Roll of Rudisill Artillery - Officers - Benjamin Sessions Boatright (B. S. Boatright) 2nd Sgt
Washington Co, GA newspaper clipping, Volume I, 1852-1866 by Tad Evans, Compiler, page 333, The Central Georgian in it's June 4, 1862 edition, under List of Letters - Remaining in the Post Office, Sandersville, GA, uncalled for July 1, 1863 - Benjamin Sessions Boatright (B. S. Boatright Lt)
May 2, 1862.. Promoted to Sergeant, Co B, 12th GA Battalion 2. November 1864.........Promoted to Lieutenant, Co B, 12th GA Battalion 3. Ca February 6, 1865..Lt Boatright was wounded at Hatcher's Run, VA 4. September 25, 1875..Promoted to Captain, Washington Light Horse Guards 5. April 26, 1903............Made the Commander of Camp Graybill when it was organized in Tennille, GA 6. Major Boatright was appointed to the staff of Gen Smith.
Hatcher's Run, VA (part of the Petersburg Campaign): About 1:00 P.M.C.S.A. General John Pegram's Division on February 6, 1865 attacked Union Forces under General Governor Kemble Warren. Pegram's forces were driven back after inflicting over 2,300 casualties. Lt Boatright was taken prisoner on February 7, 1865. On April 3, 1865, he was moved to Jackson Hospital, Richmond, VA. General Robert E Lee asked for an armistice on April 9, 1865 and surrendered to General U. S. Grant the same day. General Joseph E Johns asked for an armistice on April 14,1865 and surrendered to General William T Sherman on April 26, 1865. General Richard Taylor surrendered on May 4, 1865 to General E R S Canby, thus ending the Confederate States of America's resistance east of the Mississippi River. Lt Boatright escaped from Jackson Hospital, Richmond,VA on April 25, 1865. He made his way back to Washington Co, GA by getting rides in wagons and working on farms for food.
Washington Co, GA newspaper clipping, Volume I, 1852-1866 by Tad Evans,Compiler, page 379, The Central Georgian in it's November 28, 1866 edition under Married: On the 11th instant, by J W Sessions, Esq, Mr Benjamin SBoatright and Miss Malisa P Veal, all of Washington Co.
Known children of Malissa Pauline4 Veal and Benjamin Sessions Boatright were as follows:
61. Indiana E.4 Veal (John3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 8 Feb 1852 at Washington Co, GA; married George Franklin Boatright, Sr., son of George E. Boatright and Elizabeth Sessions, 20 Jan 1870; died 4 Nov 1933 at Tennille, Washington Co, GA, at age 81; buried at Zeta Cemetery, Tennille, Washington Co, GA.
George Franklin Boatright, Sr. was born on 27 Jun 1847. He died on 3 Aug 1920 at age 73. He was buried at Zeta Cemetery, Tennille, GA. He was (an unknown value) at 12/11/01 Carllene Veal: Children's records came from cemetery records, marriage records in W.
Known children of Indiana E.4 Veal and George Franklin Boatright, Sr. were as follows:
62. Sarah Augusta Ann4 Hall (Malinda3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1839; married Thomas A. Prosser 14 Mar 1861; married William Watkins, Jr. circa 1868.
Ref. Washington County Court Minute Book C, p. 215-216.
Thomas A. Prosser was born circa 1835. He died between 1864 and 1865.
Known children of Sarah Augusta Ann4 Hall and Thomas A. Prosser were as follows:
William Watkins, Jr. died before 1880.
Known children of Sarah Augusta Ann4 Hall and William Watkins, Jr. were:
63. Rabun M.4 Hall (Malinda3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born Mar 1840; married Mary Ella Clay, daughter of Nicholas Hardin Clay and Sarah Trawick, 29 Nov 1866; died after 1920.
Mary Ella Clay was born in Oct 1839. She married Reuben Henry Veal, son of John T. Veal, Sr. and Sarah Jane Hall, on 21 Dec 1862 at Washington Co, GA. She died after 1920. She appeared on the census of 1910 at Washington Co, GA - Rabun and Ella are shown in the household of their daughter, Mozelle Holmes. Census in 1920 at Washington Co, GA - Rabun and Ella are shown in the household of their daughter, Mozelle Holm.
Known children of Rabun M.4 Hall and Mary Ella Clay were as follows:
Rabun and Ella are shown living with William J.and Mozelle and are listed as 'father and mother-in-law' on the 1910 Washington County Census records in the 100th GMD, H/H 95. They were still living with Mozelle on the 1920 Census Records.
64. John F.4 Hall (Malinda3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 5 Aug 1842; married Nancy Sarah Belle Whitaker 10 Dec 1865; died 7 Nov 1909 at age 67.
Nancy Sarah Belle Whitaker died in Feb 1871.
Known children of John F.4 Hall and Nancy Sarah Belle Whitaker were as follows:
66. James Polk4 Hall (Malinda3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 11 May 1845; married Nettie Harriette Winchester; died 22 Jun 1912 at age 67.
Known children of James Polk4 Hall and Nettie Harriette Winchester were:
67. Samuel Anton H.4 Hall (Malinda3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 22 Nov 1846; married Lydia Nora Harris, daughter of Joseph Harris and Mildred (Millie) Clay, 11 Feb 1883; died 16 Nov 1921 at age 74.
Lydia Nora Harris was born on 5 Jul 1857. She died on 16 Jun 1935 at age 77.
Known children of Samuel Anton H.4 Hall and Lydia Nora Harris were as follows:
Raymond Thomas 'R. T.'. Hall's property was called 'Cave Hill' near Deepstep and even had a Post Office from about 1898 to around 1903. Most of the Samuel Anton Hall family are buried at Friendship Baptist Church in Washington, Co., GA.
68. Louisa M.4 Hall (Malinda3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 22 Nov 1846; married Benjamin Franklin Harris 9 Feb 1869.
Known children of Louisa M.4 Hall and Benjamin Franklin Harris were as follows:
69. Amanda M. D. T. R.4 Hall (Malinda3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 16 Oct 1849; married William Holmes, son of John J. Holmes and Mary Renfroe, 12 Jan 1868; died 8 May 1921 at age 71.
William Holmes was born on 23 May 1848. He died on 15 Jul 1904 at age 56. Children's records came from Raymond D. Holmes, son of Johnnie Thomas.
Known children of Amanda M. D. T. R.4 Hall and William Holmes were as follows:
72. Leuna B.4 Hall (Malinda3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1856; married Phillip Bethea, Sr.
Known children of Leuna B.4 Hall and Phillip Bethea, Sr. were as follows:
73. John Westley (West)4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1);38 born 4 Jul 1844 at Stewart Co, GA; married Angeline Julia Hall, daughter of Rabun Wright Hall and Adrian Elizabeth Rogers, 18 Nov 1865; died 29 Nov 1928 at Oconee Co, GA, at age 84; buried at Veal Cemetery, Veal Rd, 2 1/2 miles north of Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Abstract of the Washington Co, GA 1890 Census
published by the Washington Co Historical Society: Joseph B G Veal is listed as a 9 yr-old
male in the household of John W Veal, 47 yr-old male. There is apparently no wife in the
household. This is the entire list: Veal, John W.........Male...,,,.47 Veal, Sallie
E.........Female...19 Veal, Albert G.........Male.......18 Veal, Mary
L...........Female...17 Veal, Burrel W.......Male........15 Veal,
Eugene.........Male........14 Veal, Laura............Female.....12 Veal, Jesse
L........Male.........10 Veal, Joseph B G..Male...........9 Veal,
Luella...........Female.......6 Veal, Bascom.......Male............4
There is a 26 yr-old John Veal living w/Angeline Veal, 18 in the 1870census.
Angeline Julia Hall was born on 26 Jul 1851. She died on 26 Sep 1888 at age 37.39 She was (an unknown value) at Died Typhoid Fever Epidemic of 1888.
Known children of John Westley (West)4 Veal and Angeline Julia Hall were as follows:
Ola Veal, dtr of Joe Brown Gordon Veal and Ola Mills, was raised by this family after the death of her mother when she was an infant.
Gordon and Ola are buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery. Rosa Mae is buried in Westview Cemetery in Wrightsville, GA.
74. William Hilliard (H)4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 30 Apr 1846; married Mary Elizabeth Gregory, daughter of James Francis Gregory and Araminta Prosser, 19 Dec 1871; died 13 Dec 1938 at Deepstep, Washington Co, GA, at age 92; buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
This information as well as the birth dates and full names of all their children came from the William H. Veal Bible owned by Hilliard Veal.
Mary Elizabeth Gregory was born on 19 Jun 1854. She died on 5 Dec 1935 at age 81. She was buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of William Hilliard (H)4 Veal and Mary Elizabeth Gregory were as follows:
Hobbies Mechanic - Model T Fords. Lon and Minnie Curry Veal had no children.
A wonderful Christian mother and homemaker. Both parents have a lasting effect on all of their descendants.
76. Lou Anna4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 11 Sep 1849 at Washington Co, GA; married Edward Booker (Book) Veal, son of Jordan Franklin Veal and Martha Wagers, 1 Apr 1866; died 8 May 1879 at Washington Co, GA, at age 29.
Edward Booker (Book) Veal was born on 21 Aug 1841 at Washington Co, GA. He married Sarah Frances (Fannie) Smith, daughter of William Kimball Smith and Nancy S. E. Flanders, on 26 Aug 1880. He died on 2 Apr 1905 at Douglas Co, GA, at age 63. He was buried at Coffee Co, GA.
Known children of Lou Anna4 Veal and Edward Booker (Book) Veal were as follows:
77. Augustus Clayton4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1);40 born 7 Sep 1851; married Sarah Jane Jordan, daughter of Stephen Jordan and Mary Gilmore, 6 Nov 1877; died 27 Mar 1917 at age 65; buried at Veal Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Lived on the Nathan Veal, Jr. place (built 1826).
Sarah Jane Jordan was born on 29 Jan 1859. She died on 6 Mar 1946 at age 87.
Known children of Augustus Clayton4 Veal and Sarah Jane Jordan were as follows:
78. Mary Elizabeth4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 9 Aug 1853; married Willis Alonza Gregory, Sr., son of James Matheson Gregory and Eliza G. Whatley, 6 Dec 1877; died 29 May 1926 at age 72.
Willis Alonza Gregory, Sr. was born on 29 Apr 1849 at AL. He died on 31 Dec 1924 at Putnam Co, GA, at age 75.
Known children of Mary Elizabeth4 Veal and Willis Alonza Gregory, Sr. were as follows:
79. Thomas Jefferson4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 12 Mar 1855; married Mary Dora Hodges, daughter of Lemuel A. Hodges and Elizabeth Ann Johnson, 3 Mar 1887; died 28 Dec 1928 at age 73.
The birth dates, marriage dates and death dates came from the Thomas Jefferson Bible owned by Mrs. S. E. Brooks and Mrs. Sallie Holmes.
Mary Dora Hodges was born on 27 Sep 1868. She died on 6 Feb 1941 at age 72.
Known children of Thomas Jefferson4 Veal and Mary Dora Hodges were as follows:
80. Charles Paley4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 17 May 1857; married Sarah Mintie Veal, daughter of George Washington Veal and Ella Nora Hitchcock, 25 Jan 1888; married Mildred Elizabeth Etheridge, daughter of Merritt Etheridge and Emily Cooper, 6 Apr 1895; died 16 Apr 1930 at age 72; buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Sarah Mintie Veal was born in 1868. She died on 23 Mar 1894. She was buried at Old Veal Cemetery, Creek Rd, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA. Robert L. Veale's records show place of burial to be Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery.
Known children of Charles Paley4 Veal and Sarah Mintie Veal were as follows:
Mildred Elizabeth Etheridge was born on 29 Sep 1866. She died on 6 Apr 1929 at age 62. She was buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Charles Paley4 Veal and Mildred Elizabeth Etheridge were as follows:
82. Laura Frances4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1);42 born 24 Oct 1861; married Jesse Loring Hall, son of Rabun Wright Hall and Adrian Elizabeth Rogers, 1 Dec 1886; died 18 Aug 1935 at age 73.
A Women's Christian Temperance Union member.
Laura was a very devout Christian and was Sunday School Superindent at Deepstep Methodist Church for more than 25 years.
Jesse Loring Hall was born on 18 Dec 1862. He died on 26 Oct 1937 at age 74.
Known children of Laura Frances4 Veal and Jesse Loring Hall were as follows:
83. Robert Lee4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 15 Dec 1863; married Elizabeth (Bessie) Weston Mosley circa 1889; married Maude Yates 26 Dec 1895; died 27 Sep 1929 at age 65; buried at Veal Cemetery, Veal Rd, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA (See Gail Siehold Notes).
Elizabeth (Bessie) Weston Mosley
Known children of Robert Lee4 Veal and Elizabeth (Bessie) Weston Mosley were as follows:
Maude Yates was born on 4 Oct. She died on 21 Apr 1962.
Known children of Robert Lee4 Veal and Maude Yates were as follows:
84. Harriet Ella Vester4 Veal (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 1 Feb 1866; married Andrew Jackson (Jack) Veal, son of George Washington Veal and Ella Nora Hitchcock, 13 Oct 1889; died 28 Dec 1926 at age 60; buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Andrew Jackson (Jack) Veal was born on 11 Aug 1866. He died on 5 Dec 1938 at age 72. He was buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA. He 10/30/01
This is the husband of Harriet Ella Veal as noted and son of George W. Veal, as well as the grandson of Edward. He was named for his father's brother.
Known children of Harriet Ella Vester4 Veal and Andrew Jackson (Jack) Veal were as follows:
86. Oscar Franklin4 Veal, Sr. (William3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 29 Mar 1870; married Sallie O'Nora Chambers 18 Sep 1889; died 6 Oct 1957 at Milledgeville, GA, at age 87.
Sallie O'Nora Chambers was born on 3 Sep 1869. She died on 7 Jan 1939 at age 69.
Known children of Oscar Franklin4 Veal, Sr. and Sallie O'Nora Chambers were as follows:
87. Marion Harriett4 Boyer (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 14 Dec 1840; married Benjamin I. Harper; died 26 Dec 1901 at age 61.
Known children of Marion Harriett4 Boyer and Benjamin I. Harper were as follows:
88. Jasper4 Boyer (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born Dec 1841; married Elizabeth Bethia.
Known children of Jasper4 Boyer and Elizabeth Bethia were as follows:
89. Louisa4 Boyer (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 1845; married Benjamin Bass.
Known children of Louisa4 Boyer and Benjamin Bass were as follows:
90. McDonald (Mack)4 Boyer (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 7 Mar 1846; married Isabel Thomas; died Nov 1921 at age 75.
Known children of McDonald (Mack)4 Boyer and Isabel Thomas were as follows:
91. Columbus4 Boyer, Sr. (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 23 Jun 1848; married Laura Callaway; died 1902.
Known children of Columbus4 Boyer, Sr. and Laura Callaway were as follows:
92. James Madison (Jimmy)4 Boyer (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 21 Oct 1849; married Mattie Pearson; died 14 Mar 1937 at age 87.
Known children of James Madison (Jimmy)4 Boyer and Mattie Pearson were as follows:
93. Frances Ann4 Boyer (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 1850; married William Dawson Harton.
Known children of Frances Ann4 Boyer and William Dawson Harton were as follows:
95. John Thomas4 Boyer, Sr. (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 17 Feb 1851; married Aquilla Thomas; died 29 May 1914 at age 63.
Known children of John Thomas4 Boyer, Sr. and Aquilla Thomas were as follows:
97. Newton (Newt)4 Boyer, Sr. (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 5 Mar 1854; married Carrie Osborn; died 6 Mar 1925 at age 71.
Known children of Newton (Newt)4 Boyer, Sr. and Carrie Osborn were as follows:
98. Albie Beatrice (Maud)4 Boyer (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 4 Oct 1855; married Samuel Whitaker Davis; died 30 Jun 1925 at age 69.
Known children of Albie Beatrice (Maud)4 Boyer and Samuel Whitaker Davis were as follows:
101. Claudia (Claud)4 Boyer (Saletha3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 24 Jun 1860; married George Shakelford Rives.
Known children of Claudia (Claud)4 Boyer and George Shakelford Rives were as follows:
110. Mary Frances (Mollie)4 Veal (Burrell3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 14 Nov 1858; married Charlie A. Boone, son of John Boone, 19 Dec 1880; died after 1910.
Charlie A. Boone was born on 10 May 1860. He died after 1910.
Known children of Mary Frances (Mollie)4 Veal and Charlie A. Boone were as follows:
111. Marion C.4 Veal (Burrell3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born Mar 1861; married Patty Clay circa 1887; died Jun 1900 at age 39.
There are Bible Records of Marion C. Veal and Patty Clay on film at the Washington Co. Genealogical Museum in Sandersville,GA.
Patty Clay was born on 24 Nov 1870. She died on 26 Apr 1967 at age 96. She was buried at Brownwood Cemetery, Sandersville, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Marion C.4 Veal and Patty Clay were as follows:
114. Bessie4 Veal (Burrell3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born Oct 1872; married Myrus Garrett, son of James L. Garrett and Texie Ann Garner.
Myrus Garrett was born in Dec 1880.
Known children of Bessie4 Veal and Myrus Garrett were as follows:
115. John Burt4 Veal (Burrell3, Nathan2, Nathan1); born Sep 1873; married Sallie Mae Barksdale 28 May 1905; died Apr 1961 at age 87.
Sallie Mae Barksdale was born on 22 May 1883. She died on 4 Jul 1983 at age 100.
Known children of John Burt4 Veal and Sallie Mae Barksdale were as follows:
116. Sarah Susan4 Andrews (Harriett3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 7 Nov 1847; married William Bryant (Billy) O'Quinn, son of Bryant O'Quinn and (--?--) Gracie, 5 Aug 1865; died 17 May 1906 at age 58; buried at O'Quinn-Brooks Family Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
William Bryant (Billy) O'Quinn was born on 23 Apr 1839 at Deepstep, Washington Co, GA. He died on 22 Oct 1920 at age 81. He was buried at O'Quinn-Brooks Family Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Sarah Susan4 Andrews and William Bryant (Billy) O'Quinn were as follows:
118. Nathan Francis4 Andrews (Harriett3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born 18 Feb 1855; married Martha Lou Ann (Mattie) Gladdin, daughter of Lee Anderson Gladin and Abigail Penelope (Abby) Roberts, 15 Nov 1884; died 15 Jun 1931 at age 76.
Martha Lou Ann (Mattie) Gladdin was born on 2 Dec 1868. She died on 14 Jan 1930 at age 61.
Known children of Nathan Francis4 Andrews and Martha Lou Ann (Mattie) Gladdin were as follows:
119. William R.4 Andrews (Harriett3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1857; married Lizzie Cox.
Known children of William R.4 Andrews and Lizzie Cox were as follows:
120. Lee S.4 Andrews (Harriett3Veal, Nathan2, Nathan1); born circa 1860; married Patience Ellafair Avant, daughter of Augustus Scott Avant and Sarah B. Gladden, 28 Feb 1886.
Patience Ellafair Avant was born in 1869.
Known children of Lee S.4 Andrews and Patience Ellafair Avant were as follows:
123. Edward Booker (Book)4 Veal (Jordan3, Edward2, Nathan1); born 21 Aug 1841 at Washington Co, GA; married Lou Anna Veal, daughter of William Madison (Matt) Veal and Mahalia Ann Hilliard, 1 Apr 1866; married Sarah Frances (Fannie) Smith, daughter of William Kimball Smith and Nancy S. E. Flanders, 26 Aug 1880; died 2 Apr 1905 at Douglas Co, GA, at age 63; buried at Coffee Co, GA.
Lou Anna Veal was born on 11 Sep 1849 at Washington Co, GA. She died on 8 May 1879 at Washington Co, GA, at age 29.
He was a Private in Company B, 28th Regiment Georgia Volunteer Infantry with the Army of Tennessee CSA. He told his children a story about being a runaway when he was sixteen to join the confederate army. I think they misunderstood and he was talking about his brother Thomas Philip. Edward himself was twenty years old when he enlisted on September 10, 1861.
Edward Booker raised none of the six children by Lou Anna Veal, but left them with her father, William Madison Veal, who raised them. He bought a farm in Johnson Co. near the Smith family where he lived for twenty years. Then at the insistence of his son Walter by Lou Anna, he sold that land and bought land in Douglas Co., GA. A few years later he died there of pneumonia and is buried in Coffee Co., GA. Miss Fannie returned to Johnson County with two of her sons, leaving one in Coffee Co. She is buried in her family's cemetery in Johnson Co.
Known children of Edward Booker (Book)4 Veal and Lou Anna Veal were as follows:
Sarah Frances (Fannie) Smith was born on 17 Sep 1861 at Johnson Co, GA. She died on 19 Aug 1922 at Johnson Co, GA, at age 60.
Known children of Edward Booker (Book)4 Veal and Sarah Frances (Fannie) Smith were as follows:
125. Elizabeth Winfred (Liza)4 Veal (Jordan3, Edward2, Nathan1); born circa 1852; married Jacob (Jake) Wood, son of James Wood and Angeline Howard.
Jacob (Jake) Wood was born circa 1847.
Known children of Elizabeth Winfred (Liza)4 Veal and Jacob (Jake) Wood were as follows:
126. James Madison (Jim Jordan)4 Veal (Jordan3, Edward2, Nathan1); born 6 Jun 1855; married Mary Elanora (Mollie) Veal, daughter of George Washington Veal and Ella Nora Hitchcock, 31 Dec 1887; died 1 May 1922 at age 66; buried at Smyrna Baptist Church Cemetery, near Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Mary Elanora (Mollie) Veal was born on 13 May 1871. She died on 8 Jun 1951 at age 80. She was buried at Smyrna Baptist Church Cemetery, near Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of James Madison (Jim Jordan)4 Veal and Mary Elanora (Mollie) Veal were as follows:
She was (an unknown value) at Never married.
He was (an unknown value) at Never married.
130. Andrew Jackson (Jack)4 Veal (George3, Edward2, Nathan1); born 11 Aug 1866; married Harriet Ella Vester Veal, daughter of William Madison (Matt) Veal and Mahalia Ann Hilliard, 13 Oct 1889; died 5 Dec 1938 at age 72; buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Harriet Ella Vester Veal was born on 1 Feb 1866. She died on 28 Dec 1926 at age 60. She was buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Andrew Jackson (Jack)4 Veal and Harriet Ella Vester Veal were as follows:
131. Sarah Mintie4 Veal (George3, Edward2, Nathan1); born 1868; married Charles Paley Veal, son of William Madison (Matt) Veal and Mahalia Ann Hilliard, 25 Jan 1888; died 23 Mar 1894; buried at Old Veal Cemetery, Creek Rd, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA. Robert L. Veale's records show place of burial to be Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery.
Charles Paley Veal was born on 17 May 1857. He married Mildred Elizabeth Etheridge, daughter of Merritt Etheridge and Emily Cooper, on 6 Apr 1895. He died on 16 Apr 1930 at age 72. He was buried at Deepstep Methodist Church Cemetery, Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Sarah Mintie4 Veal and Charles Paley Veal were as follows:
132. Mary Elanora (Mollie)4 Veal (George3, Edward2, Nathan1); born 13 May 1871; married James Madison (Jim Jordan) Veal, son of Jordan Franklin Veal and Mariah Eikner, 31 Dec 1887; died 8 Jun 1951 at age 80; buried at Smyrna Baptist Church Cemetery, near Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
James Madison (Jim Jordan) Veal was born on 6 Jun 1855. He died on 1 May 1922 at age 66. He was buried at Smyrna Baptist Church Cemetery, near Deepstep, Washington Co, GA.
Known children of Mary Elanora (Mollie)4 Veal and James Madison (Jim Jordan) Veal were as follows:
139. Elton4 Veal, Sr. (Andrew3, Edward2, Nathan1); born 4 Feb 1883; married Annie Momand Ennis, daughter of Erasmus Augustus Ennis and Emma Middleton Haygood; married 24 Dec 1902.
Annie Momand Ennis was born on 18 Apr 1885.
Known children of Elton4 Veal, Sr. and Annie Momand Ennis were as follows:
140. Maud4 Veal (Andrew3, Edward2, Nathan1); born 15 May 1885; married G. Robert (Bob) Rawls.
Maude was 6' tall - her sister was also 6' tall - Elton Veal, Sr was over 6' (Derek Veal is 6'4' tall).
Known children of Maud4 Veal and G. Robert (Bob) Rawls were:
149. Alonza M. (Lonnie)4 Veal (Thomas3, George2, Nathan1); born 9 Feb 1877; married Willie Garner 14 Jan 1900; died 13 Aug 1948 at Sandersville, GA, at age 71.
Willie Garner was born on 6 Dec 1879. She died on 10 Aug 1960 at age 80.
Known children of Alonza M. (Lonnie)4 Veal and Willie Garner were as follows:
Home Page Veale Home Page
Created with The Master Genealogist for Windows