The Descendants of Thomas York and Mary Dickens

Text, continued

Thomas2 York
He was a shoemaker.

Signature on his marriage record

Some clues to his life in England and shortly after his arrival in Canada can be gleaned from the York Letters.  He arrived in St. Vincent about 1856 and lived at lot 29, Con. 6, St. Vincent Twp. on one acre of land which he purchased from his brother Henry2.  In later years, he wrote to Henry, indicating that he wished he could join him in Manitoba but he was unable to sell his land.

Meaford (ON) Monitor 13 Aug 1886: Mr. Geo. A. Jenkins, grocer, Manley's Block, purchased on Saturday, from Mr. Thos. York, 7th line, St. Vincent, a small lot of early peaches, large and luscious, which he sold readily at good prices.  This speaks well for St. Vincent as a fruit growing district.

Meaford (ON) Monitor 4 Jul 1890: Mr. Thos. York of 7th line, St. Vincent, brought to our office last week a reprint copy of the first number of the Northampton Mercury (England) which he received in a recent issue of the same paper.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Alice3 York

A Mrs. McDonald joined the Carman (MB) church of Christ on 31 Mar 1914.

Her husband was a farmer.  In 1871 he rented 70 acres of land on Con. 9, lot 38 in St. Vincent Township, Grey Co. ON.  He was appointed a pathfinder for side road 15 and 16, Con 9 and 10 in 1872.

In 1876, they built a frame dwelling, 17x24, on Denmark St. in Meaford at a cost of $180.  In 1878 and 1879, Alice had her taxes of $5.40 on the property remitted as she was "in indigent circumstances."

Return to Descendant Chart.

William Thomas4 McDonald
He never married.

Giving his address as Glen Ewen SK, he applied for a homestead entry on NW 36-4-34-W1 in the South Antler District in November 1902.  He built a sod shanty and took up residence from April to October 1903.  Due to poor health he was unable to complete his homestead duties, so his entry was cancelled.  His brother John Henry McDonald then filed on the same land.

Later he lived with Thomas4 Laycock in Rosebank MB.  At that time he was known as Thomas McDonald.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Hester Amoretta4 McDonald & Peter Brown
In 1901 Hester resided in Carman MB.  The residence of Hester and her son Allan is later given in the Carman MB church records as Brandon MB.  The newspaper account of Henry Laycock's second marriage in 1901 states that the marriage took place in the home of Peter Brown.

Peter emigrated to Canada in 1881.  At the time of his marriage he resided in St. Paul MN.  For many years he suffered from spinal trouble through which he was deprived of his sight and he gradually lost the power of his limbs and body.

Allan, Hester and Peter Brown

Return to Descendant Chart.

Abner4 McDonald
At the time of his death, he was a retired mariner and had been a certified mate and master who commanded several Great Lakes vessels.  He shipped before the mast at the age of 16.  Eventually he forsook canvas and "went into steam."  He had been connected with Canadian and United States steamship companies before settling on land and becoming a carpenter.  He belonged to the Carpenter's Union, the Masters' and Mates' Association, the Toronto Club, the Alexandra Yacht Club, the Pork Pioneers and Ward One and Two Ratepayers' Associations.

Return to Descendant Chart.

John Henry4 McDonald
In February 1878, he won a prize at a masquerade for his sailor boy costume.  He lived in Manitoba for a while but then moved on.

He homesteaded at South Antler SK in 1904.  On 27 Apr 1904 he applied for homestead entry on NW 36-4-34-W1, the same land that his brother William Thomas McDonald had forfeited.

Carman (MB) Standard 28 Apr 1904: J.H. McDonald left Carman the other day with a car of effects for Glen Ewen.

He paid the government $15 for the sod shanty that was on the land and lived in it until his framed house, valued at $600, was completed in July 1904.  He also built a big stone stable and fenced 15 acres and by 1906 he had 6 horses, 2 cattle and 80 hens.  By 1910 he had also purchased E1/2 35-4-34 W1.

According to his grandson Ray:

As a young man with one of the first cars in the area, some officials told him he would need to license it or pay some kind of fee.  My grandfather told them that he had paid for the car with his money and had built the road that he drove to town on and that he didn't owe them anything.

John, a well educated man, was a trustee on the South Antler School Board and also held the position of secretary.  About 1918 John moved to the Willow Bunch area.  His post office address was Little Woody and later Fife Lake.  He still maintained his farming interests in the South Antler School District.

According to the local history, some time after the death of his wife, John moved to the states to be near his son Brook.  However, his grandson Ray says that he was hospitalized in a mental hospital for many years, living with the Abbots at Fife Lake after his release, and then moving to Coos Bay OR.  He says that Zada took the boys to the United States when Brook was very young.

Return to Descendant Chart.

William Brook5 McDonald
He was known as Brook.  He resided in 1988 in Apple Valley CA, but still owned the land in Alida SK.  Before moving to California, he and his family owned and operated a hotel in Coos Bay OR.  The hotel was built by his son Ray.

May 1955 Coos Bay OR
Willam Brook (left), John Henry (center)

Return to Descendant Chart.

Arthur Clifford4 McDonald
He homesteaded in the South Antler SK District (post office Glen Ewen SK).  His application for SE 12-4-34-W1 was filed on 15 Jul 1892 but was forfeited.  He rented the land and farmed it for a few years.  His application for SE 36-4-34-W1, on the same section as his brother John, was filed on 23 May 1902 and a Patent issued on 7 Oct 1905.  A wagon trail between Glen Ewen and Alida ran through a corner of his land.

He and his wife had resided there continuously since June 1902 when they built a 20 x 22 foot sod house and a 24 x 24 foot framed stable.  Later he built a 12 x 16 foot framed granary and fenced 15 acres.  In 1904 he gave his age as 35 years and does not indicate the presence of any children.

In 1920 he moved to Alida SK to manage the McIlrath Lumber Company.  He and his wife were very active in the community.  She played the organ for church services and he was vice president of the Alida Community Club and also took part on debating teams.  In 1921, at a Community Club masquerade dance, he and his wife both won first prizes, he as an Indian Chief and she as Folly.

In 1922 the family moved to Carnduff SK and in June 1923 to Vancouver BC where they were known to be living in 1938.  He was a piler at Eburne Saw Mills in Vancouver.

The following may also refer to him:

a. A.C. McDonald who was an Overseer or Mayor of Glen Ewen SK.
b. Arthur McDonald who was an International Harvester agent in Glen Ewen SK in 1917.
c. Mr. and Mrs. A.C. McDonald, Regina, joined Mizpah Rebekah Lodge No. 19 by card.
d. Arthur Clifford McDonald filed for an Old Age Pension at Vancouver BC in 1938 (Claim A-21,368).

Return to Descendant Chart.

Children of Arthur Clifford4 McDonald & Ida May McRindle
James Tomalin5 McDonald taught school in Vancouver for many years and retired on Horsefly (BC) Lake.  He had no children.  His wife was also a teacher.

Melba5 McDonald taught school for many years, starting in the gold mining town of Likely BC.  After her marriage, she continued teaching for a while.  Then she and her husband had a ranch in Horsefly BC and later ran the Horsefly General Store.  They finally retired on Horsefly Lake.  She had no children.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Ann Markle
She died at her home in Meaford ON and is buried in Duxbury Cemetery, St. Vincent Twp.  After her husband's death she lived with "a number of parties" but in her last months she lived alone.  One source says they had four children, another says they had none.  In 1861 Thomas was living with his brother Henry, with no sign of Ann, and in 1871 he and Ann were living alone.  It seems unlikely from this evidence that they had children.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Sarah2 York
In 1841 she and David lived in that part of Long Buckby which lies south of the Town street and Lodgeway Road and South East of the Daventry Road, near her sister Alice.  According to the Ervine Denison York mss., she had no children.  However, the letters from her sister Alice2 to their brother Henry2 (York Letters) suggested otherwise:

March 1849, from Alice2 (York) Kinch to her brother Henry2 York:

I am sorry to say that Sarah is not so well.  She keeps getting weaker.  She cannot sit up the whole of the day.  I am afraid there is but very little hope of her getting better unless she begins to mend very soon.

July 1849, from Thomas2 York to his brother Henry2 York:

[Sarah's] illness I think was brought on chiefley by her fretting so much for the loss of her two infant children.

Return to Descendant Chart.

David Hanwell
David was a shoemaker.  He remained in Long Buckby after his wife's death.

April 1852, from Mary1 (Dickens) York to her son Henry2 York:

David wishes to be remembered to you.  He has not taken a wife at present.

March 1853, from Mary3 (York) Laycock, daughter of Henry2 York, to her grandmother Mary1 (Dickens) York:

My love to Aunt and Uncle Gorge, and not forgeting Uncle David, and little Jesey.

December 1854, from Henry2 York to his mother Mary1 (Dickens) York:

If David could get here with his little boy, I think he would do well.

David was married, in 1854 in Daventry Dist., to Jemima [--?--].  She was born c.1817 at Culworth NTH or Preston Capes and died in 1877 in Daventry Dist.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Jesse3 Hanwell
He left Long Buckby some time after the 1881 Census, as he was living at 59 Shakespeare Rd., Northampton in 1891.  He was a shoemaker.

Return to Descendant Chart.

George Kinch
George was a shoemaker in Long Buckby.  However, at the time of his daughter Sarah's birth he gave his occupation as licensed hawker.  At the time of his death his occupation was given as carrier.

In 1841 they lived in that part of Long Buckby which lies south of the Town street and Lodgeway Road and South East of the Daventry Road, near her sister Sarah.

George may have married, second, Ruth [--?--] and possibly also had a third wife who outlived him, but neither of these marriages have been confirmed.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Thomas Ivens
He was a cattle dealer in Bedford St. Peter, BDF ENG and later in Badby.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Alice Elizabeth4 Ivens
She corresponded with George Dallas4 York during and shortly after WWII (see YorkLetters for her letters).  She is also the one who had the old Henry2 York letters and sent them to the U.S. to George Dallas York.  The address on her letters after her marriage is: Oaklands, Byfield, Rugby.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Eli Thomas Sanders
Eli was a retired minister who had served the church in Byfield.  In 1942 he was preaching at Badby once a month.  He was on the food control board and they had two evacuee children living with them for two years.  Eli's first wife, Annie Cooper, died about 1937.

Return to Descendant Chart.

William George3 Kinch
In 1871 he was a groom and domestic servant at Canon Ashby, lodging in the household of Thomas Pratt.  At Moreton Pinkney he was a carrier, between Banbury and Northampton and Moreton.  He also gardened at home and at the Manor, and worked with the horse and cart if any need arose.

At Woodford Halse he worked for his cousin, who had a machine for making parts of a house, e.g. doors and windows.  All went well until his cousin, for some unaccountable reason, got an arm badly injured in the machinery.  The result was that the cousin sold up and went to Canada.  After this William George worked for his maternal cousin who had a builder's business in Hinton.  He worked there for many years and then at nearly retiring age went to the sheds at Woodford on the Railway painting wagons until 65 years when he had to retire.

Ada Kinch autobiography: The house at Moreton was brown-brick, and was on the village green.  It had an orchard, and a large garden where fruits and vegetables grew, quite profusely.  The house was commodious, containing four bedrooms and three large rooms downstairs, and a cellar.

I think this house may have been a monastery or a Manor House.  On the outside, it had a cobbled yard and a roofed opening between the house and the lately built farmhouse.  The rooms upstairs were The Front Room, kept for visitors, The Boys Room, The Girls Room and our Parents Room.

The Boys room was large, and open to the back stairs.  It joined the Girls Room which was commodious, containing always two iron bedsteads.  The Parents Room was small comparatively, and it led from the Boys Room.  The bedsteads in the Girls Room were both used when the older girls came home for the holidays.

The Front Room was off a landing from the stairs.  It was a large room.  The landing had a large Chiffonier or cupboard, with a glass front.  Our Sunday shoes and dresses were in this cupboard.

Downstairs there was a front room, a large stone floored dining room, where we usually had our meals and a very large scullery or kitchen where we played in Winter.  A large wooden table with a white wood top was in the kitchen, and we often used it to play on.  There was also a pantry and a dairy at the back of the house.

In the living room was a roasting rack (used at Christmas), fixed up in a large chimney piece from which one might view the sky outside if the fire wasn't lighted.  Mother cooked in the living room as there was a stove with an oven.

The orchard had fruit trees of all sorts in it, as well as our swing, from which cousin Louis Diclon from London, (who was about my age) fell and cut his lip.  In the garden we grew gooseberries, strawberries and raspberries in their seasons.  The house was covered with a Jargonel Pear, a Cabbage Rose bush and a Moss Rose.

The front door opened in the passage to both rooms.  The yard of the house held the stables, the cowshed, and a lot of buildings connected with farming.  We kept a horse and a cow.

About January 1901, they moved to Woodford Halse.  There they lived in a small row house.  The little house became too small and they moved to a larger one owned and resided in by his cousin until his cousin's accident.  This house was called Mount Pleasant because the upstairs view was beautiful.  They stayed there until 1921 when Ada became a teacher at Gosbeck and the family went there to live.

He visited the Ivens in August 1939.  At that time he walked five miles every day.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Mary Ann Ivens
Ada Kinch autobiography: Mother always dressed in black, with a bonnet and a cape.  The cape had black beads on velvet.  Her hair, at my earliest remembrance, was white.  She always had a black velvet ribbon on her head instead of a cap.

In a 1917 letter, Maria3 York indicates that one of William George's sons was married and working on the Great Central Railway and the younger one at war.  After their parents died, at least two of the unmarried daughters were living on Constable Road in Ipswich, Suffolk.

Ada Kinch autobiography: We played many games which children still play, such as Hopscotch on smooth ground with a stone and much hopping.  Tip Cat we played with a piece of wood (cat) and a stick.  The wood (or stone) we picked up from the roadsides and was pointed at both ends, somewhat resembling a loom shuttle and the game was to hit the tip cat with the stick and strike it into the air as far as we could!

We played many ring-games such as Nuts in May, Sally Sits Weeping and Bingo or Carlo, a dog's name.  This game consisted of all, bar one, forming a ring by joining hands.  The single player stood in the centre.  The people in the ring sang "A farmer had a dog called Bingo (or Carlo)".  When the singing stops the centre man points to one player to spell Bongo or Carlo.  If he can O.K., if he can't then he goes into the centre.

Marbles was a favourite pastime that we played in the street during the summer; we continued to play it in the winter, but then we played indoors with a piece of wood out of which arches had been cut.  The idea was to get the marble through an arch; ... We also played rounders, cricket and badminton on summer days and catches of each other in winter.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Ellen Frances4 Kinch
She was known as Nell or Nellie.  Nellie lived in Long Buckby from 1917 to 1920 and then returned home.  She was keeping house for her father in Suffolk in 1939.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Edith Elizabeth4 Kinch
Before her marriage she was in service in many parts of England.  She apparently had no children.

Return to Descendant Chart.

William Edwin George4 Kinch
He helped his father with his business, then went to be a clerk at Nottingham Victoria, then worked for the East and West Junction Railway.  After his marriage he lived at Hucknall.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Mary4 Kinch
She resided in Woodford Halse in 1915.  She lived at Badby with Aunt Bessie for a long time and later was a children's nurse.  She resided at Derby in 1984.  She was known as Meg.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Harry4 Kinch
When he was old enough, he was apprenticed to the wagon making trade in Woodford Railway.  After this apprenticeship he worked as a wagon maker until he served in World War I.

He enlisted by 1915 but had not been called up yet.  He was wounded three times and was brought back to Southampton, Blackpool and Henley Green, Warwickshire to recuperate.  He later lived in Norfolk and then Norwich.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Ada4 Kinch
Ada Kinch autobiography: I started extra study at Woodford Church School when I was 12 years old.  When I was 14 years I became a Probationer Monitor at school with a very small wage £5 per calendar month.  ...

In two years I became a pupil teacher and was in the school until 1911.  The P.T.'s exam was held at Brackley, so Father took me by train.  I passed, and was accepted.  During those four years training, I went to help any teacher in the school for half a day and studied for the other half.  I lived at home and studied every night until bedtime.  ...

At the end of my pupil study I sat for the Government exam at Banbury Tech. School.  It was the preliminary certificate for getting a teacher's certificate.  Later on, to qualify as a teacher, in December 1912 I went to Northampton for the certificate exam, but failed.  I sat again in 1916 and passed.  ...  In September 1919 I applied to go to Avery Hill Teachers Training College, Eltham, and was accepted as a student.

She taught at Woodford School, Braunston, St. Mary's Boys School at Banbury, then went to Suffolk as head of Gosbeck School.  With her family she lived in the School House.  After her mother died, she went to Stowupland School, retiring in 1953.  From 1957 to 1963 she home-taught a boy who had muscular dystrophy.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Irene Alice4 Kinch
She went to Worcester and London to help in May's work.  Later she became a teacher and was in several schools, Charwelton and Badby in Northamptonshire, and Ashbooking, Claydon and Gosbeck in Suffolk.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Frederick Dickens3 York
He left Daventry as a boy, worked in Northampton, then went to Leicester.  He also lived at Colchester and Louth.  In 1891 he was the manager of a boot depot in Horncastle, Lincolnshire.  In 1897, he was at 154 Manchester St., Oldham, Lancashire.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Frank5 Whittingham

He was a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, serving on HMS Furious.


During the early months of the Second World War the carrier spent her time hunting for German raiders in the North Atlantic and escorting convoys. This changed dramatically during the Norwegian Campaign in early 1940 when her aircraft provided air support to British troops ashore in addition to attacking German shipping. (Wikipedia)

April 13th Provided anti-submarine air cover off Narvik during 2nd Battle of Narvik.
April 18th Under air attacks at Tromso and sustained damage by Near Miss.  Damage to shafts and machinery reduced speed to 20 knots.  Only half of embarked SWORDFISH aircraft were serviceable.) (Service Histories Of Royal Navy Warships In World War 2)

The ship was attacked by a single Heinkel He 111 bomber of the II./KG 26 wing from very high altitude. (The Full Trees2, Family Tree on Ancestry.com)

Return to Descendant Chart.

William John3 York
He was a bootfinisher in 1881 and boot and shoe pressman in 1891.  In 1881 he lived at 151 Birstall St. in St. Matthew's ecclesiastical parish.  In 1891 he lived at 70 Argyle St. in St. Mark's ecclesiastical parish.  Both addresses are in St. Margaret's civil parish, Leicester LEI ENG.

Return to Descendant Chart.

Mary [--?--]
She was a hosiery mender in 1881 and a machinist in 1891.  She may be the Mary York who, in 1901, was an officer/foster mother at Cottage Homes, Countesthorpe LEI (widow, age 45, born Holbeach LIN ENG).

Return to Descendant Chart.

The Descendants of Thomas York and Alice Boreman

James Gregory

England Census, 1841, Household of James Gregory, Milton, Chapel En Le Frith Parish, Chapel en le Frith District, Derbyshire, RG HO107, piece 184, book 4, folio 49, p.33 (listed right after Henry Gregory age 70 miller and Alice Gregory age 60, both b. Derbyshire).

  • James Gregory, Male, 20, b. abt 1817-1821 Derbyshire, England, Occupation: Miller;
  • Ellen Gregory, Female, 20, b.abt 1817-1821, Derbyshire, England;
  • Micah Gregory, Male, 2, b. abt 1839, Derbyshire, England;

England Census, 1851, Household of James Gregory, Chapel Milton, Chinley, Bugsworth, and Brownside Parish, Chapel En Le Frith District, Derbyshire, RG HO107, piece 2151, folio 267, ED6a, p.6-7, #25.

  • James Gregory, Head, Male, 31, b.abt 1820 Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, England, married, Occupation: cornmiller
  • Elizabeth Gregory [Elizabeth Handford], Wife, Female, 31, b.abt 1820 Chinley, Derbyshire, England, married
  • Micah Gregory, Son, Male, 11, b.abt 1840 Chinley, Derbyshire, England
  • Henry Gregory, Son, Male, 8, b.abt 1843 Chinley, Derbyshire, England
  • Martha Gregory, Daughter, Female, 6, b.abt 1845 Chinley, Derbyshire, England
  • Hannah Gregory, Daughter, Female, 3, b.abt 1848 Chinley, Derbyshire, England
  • Daniel Gregory, Son, Male, 1, b.abt 1850 Chinley, Derbyshire, England
  • Grace Handford, Stepdaughter, Female, 5, b.abt 1846 Chinley, Derbyshire, England
  • Daniel Handford, Father-in-law, Male, 71, b.abt 1780 New Mills, Derbyshire, England, widower, Occupation: retired farmer

England Census, 1861, Household of James Gregory, Glossop Road, Chapel Milton, Chapel en le Frith Parish, Chapel en le Frith District, Derbyshire, RG9, piece 2547, folio 40, ED8, p.10, #67.

  • James Gregory, Head, Male, 42, b.1819 Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, England, married, Occupation: agricultural laborer
  • Mary Gregory, Wife, Female, 46, b.1815 Hayfield, Derbyshire, England, married
  • Martha Gregory, Daughter, Female, 14, b.1847 Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, England
  • Hannah Gregory, Daughter, Female, 13, b.1848 Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, England
  • Daniel Gregory, Son, Male, 12, b.1849 Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, England
  • Daniel Beron, Stepson, Male, 14, b.1847 Gee Cross, Lancashire, England
  • William Gregory, Son, Male, 3, b.1858 Hayfield, Derbyshire, England
  • John Gregory, Son, Male, 9, b.1852 Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, England

Return to Descendant Chart.

Home  |  Contact  |  Introduction to Ancestor Charts | Surname Index

© 2003 Shirley York Anderson