Rowland Surname Forums
Hosted by Carolyn Switzer
ROWLAND Surname Mailing List
ROWLAND-L a mailing list for those researching the Rowland surname.
Generation No. 1
1. STEPHEN M.2 ROWLAND (ROWLAND1) was born 1793 in PA, and died before 1835 in Roxie, Franklin Co., MS. His parents are unknown. He married SARAH MINERVA STAMPLEY August 26, 1818 in Jefferson, MS, daughter of JACOB STAMPLEY and MARY COLE. Stephen was buried at Roxie, in Franklin Co., MS. Stephen Rowland came to Roxie, MS, Franklin Co., MS from Pennsylvania on December 2, 1808.
Children of STEPHEN ROWLAND and SARAH STAMPLEY are:
i. JULIAN C.3 ROWLAND, b. October 03, 1820, MS; d. Bef. 1840, MS.
2. ii. SOLOMON BARTLETT ROWLAND, b. March 19, 1822, Roxie, Franklin, MS; d. June 03, 1873, MS.
3. iii. JAMES ZEBIDEE ROWLAND, b. November 18, 1826, MS; d. November 14, 1894, Roxie Cemetery, Franklin Co., MS.
iv. ZENOBIA A. ROWLAND, b. 1829, MS; d. August 28, 1885; m. LEVI DROMGOOLE, September 02, 1845, Jefferson Co., MS.
v. MORELL ROWLAND, b. 1831, MS; m. MARTHA B. STAMPLEY, October 02, 1854, Jefferson Co., MS. Martha was the daughter of James Henry Stampley and Director Smith.
Generation No. 2
2. SOLOMON BARTLETT3 ROWLAND (STEPHEN M.2, ROWLAND1) was born March 19, 1822 in Roxie, Franklin, MS, and died June 03, 1873 in MS. He married SOPHIA EMILY COMPTON February 02, 1851 in Jefferson, MS, daughter of RICHARD COMPTON and MARY BROWN.
In 1880 Sophia is shown in the Franklin County Census living with son Otis P. Rowland, S. J. Rowland (Otis' wife), W.H. (son age 21), K. D. (daughter age 19), Perry (son age 14), Lou (daughter age 10). She was buried March, 1908 at the McNair Cemetery in Franklin Co., MS.
Children of SOLOMON ROWLAND and SOPHIA COMPTON are:
i. WHITNEY STEPHEN4 ROWLAND, b. Abt. 1859, Franklin Co., MS. In 1880 Franklin Co. census living with mother in brother Otis Rowland's household Age 21 ie born about 1859.
ii. ALEXANDER R. ROWLAND, b. Abt. 1853, Franklin Co., MS; m. MATTIE GEOGHEGAN, February 28, 1878, Adams Co., MS.. She was from Hardin Co., KY. His nickname was "Boss Alex."
iii. OTIS P. ROWLAND, b. March 20, 1857, Franklin Co., MS; d. August 19, 1909, Mt. Carmel Cemetery, Franklin Co., MS; m. (1) SUSIE JANE DAVENPORT, October 29, 1879, Adams Co., MS; m. (2) NANNIE E. CORBAN, December 03, 1884, Franklin Co., MS.
In 1880 Franklin County, MS census Otis is listed as married to S. J. Rowland age 24 (b. abt 1856) with his mother and younger brothers and sisters living with them.
iv. SOLOMON PERRY ROWLAND, b. January 14, 1866, Jefferson, MS; d. May 31, 1922, Natchez, Adams, MS; m. IVIE NORA MONTGOMERY, March 03, 1903, MS. Sol was buried June 1922 at the Natchez City Cemetery, Natchez, Adams Co., MS. Ivie was buried in April, 1964 next to Sol in the Natchez City Cemetery, Natchez, Adams County, MS.
Eulogy for SOLOMON PERRY ROWLAND:
Solomon Perry Rowland's niece Ella wrote this shortly after his death:
He died on Wednesday evening, May 31, 1922 at the Natchez Sanatorium, Natchez, MS. Solomon Perry was the son of "Sol" and Sophia Rowland and the beloved husband of Ivie Montgomery Rowland. He was born January 14, 1866 near Fayette, Mississippi.
Funeral services by Rev. C. C. Evans, Pastor of Jefferson Street Methodist Church, Natchez, MS were at 2 o'clock Thursday evening.
All that loving hands and a skilled phuysician could do was done but all in vain for this was his time to go. Only a few days before he said to a dear one that he hoped when his time to go came he would not linger and suffer but would go quickly. I know his Heavenly Father heard and answered his wish for he didn't seem conscious of any pain after being paralyzed at 6 o'clock until he answered his Father's call at 9:30 to come unto Him and be at rest with his loved ones gone before.
"Bud" as he was called by his entire family was always a good boy and loved by all who knew him. He was ever ready to do a kind turn for a fellow man and had a kind word and a smile for everyone he met.
"Dear one, we are sad and lonely. How we miss your smiling face and you've left us to remember none on earth can take your place.
His devoted neice, Ella Parker (half-brother Thaddeus' daughter)
v. KATE D. ROWLAND, b. Abt. 1861; m. E. L. ROBINSON.
vi. LOU ROWLAND, b. Abt. 1870.
3. JAMES ZEBIDEE3 ROWLAND (STEPHEN M.2, ROWLAND1) was born November 18, 1826 in MS, and died November 14, 1894 in Roxie Cemetery, Franklin Co., MS. He married ANN FISCHER. James was buried November, 1894 and his tombstone gives his name as Zebidee Rowland.
Children of JAMES ROWLAND and ANN FISCHER are:
i. JAMES ZEBEDEE4 ROWLAND , JR., b. January 23, 1856, Franklin Co., MS; d. June 27, 1932, Roxie Cemetery, Franklin Co, MS; m. MARY CALVIT, November 24, 1881, Franklin Co., MS.
ii. ALBERT L. ROWLAND, b. Abt. 1859; m. JENNIE MCMILLAN, March 10, 1886, Adams Co., MS.
iii. CYRUS S. ROWLAND, b. Abt. 1859; m. MARY GUICE, January 23, 1883, Franklin Co., MS.
iv. DAVIS F. ROWLAND, b. Abt. 1861; m. HATTIE WOODYEAR, November 04, 1891, Franklin Co., MS.
v. ANNA M. ROWLAND, b. Abt. 1863; m. (1) S. V. PARKER, January 04, 1886, Franklin Co., MS; m. (2) H. W. WHATLEY, February 14, 1894, Franklin Co., MS.
THIS PAGE COPYRIGHT 1998 & 1999
BY CAROLYN JEAN ADAMS SWITZER.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.