This page is available to list details of properties in outback NSW. Like most pages on the AUS-NSW-WEST website, it relies on input from everyone to grow to be a resource for all. So, if you have a name of a property with a location and a date when it was in particular ownership, please feel free to add them to the list.
If you can provide any further information, such as the names of people owning or working on the property at any particular time, details of whether it carried sheep, cattle etc they would be most welcome.
Sources of Information appear in square brackets at the end of the entry, and are amplified at the bottom of this page.
For a relatively modern map of properties between Wentworth and Pooncarie, CLICK HERE
Albermarle. North of Menindee. Owned by Phelps in 1888 and 481 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Avoca. Owned by Cudmores in 1888 and 42 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Barradale. An 1890s selection near Wilcannia by Charles Barraclough that was still in the family in the 1980s. Taken over from him after his retirement by his son Walter. [Linda]
Bellvue. On the Darling River possibly upstream of Menindie at Rocky Waterholes, one time home of the Alfred John Weaver and Fanny Weaver nee Barraclough. [Linda]
Bililla. South of Wilcannia. Owned by Kelly in 1888 and 624 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Birdwood, near Pooncarie. At one time the property of Hugh and Pearl Barraclough. [Linda]
Boorungie. Horace Barraclough's property (near Wilcannia?) [Linda]
Bothinga. South of Menindee. Owned by Reid in 1888 and 411 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Brahmah near Balranald, was purchased by a partnership of A.J. Weaver and a Mr Borman after WWI, until Borman was killed by accident and Weaver took over the property. It was still in family hands in the 1980s. [Linda]
Burtundy, on the east bank of the Darling bewtween Wentworth and Pooncarie, was one of the original properties. In 1869 it was owned by Thomas Scott. In 1888 is was owned by Hon. J. Cumming, and 109 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. Middle Yards run, a further nine miles by river, was also owned by Cumming in 1888. It included the Roadside Necessity hotel (licensees Webb, Ropke then Hippisley) [Source1] [Linda]
Camborn, between Wentworth and Pooncarie. In 1901 it MAY have been the property of George Walker, and was later held by A.E. Wilkinson, who married a daughter of George Walker. [Linda]
Cavan. On the Darling River between Wentworth and Pooncarie, one time home of the Alfred John Weaver and Fanny Weaver nee Barraclough. [Linda]
Cawkers Well (including Rocky Waterholes) on the Darling River, possibly near Wilcannia, operating in 1891 when Wilfred Barraclough was born there. [Linda]
Chalky Well north of Pooncarie, was the property of Walter Lambert and Florence Reid. [Linda]
Coombah was on the Broken Hill Road, north of Wentworth, and owned by Evandale McKay and Nellie (Ni) Lambert. [Linda]
Culpanlin. South of Wilcannia. Owned by McRae in 1888 and 644 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Cuthero. North of Pooncarie. Owned by Pile in 1888 and 309 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. In the 1890 floods paddle steamers operating as floating shops tied up to the verandah posts. [Source1] [Linda]
Ellerslie, on the Darling between Wentworth and Pooncarie, included the Ellerslie hotel (Mrs Rice). [Linda]
Enfields Bend (between Wentworth and Pooncarie) [Linda]
Fort Bourke Station was on the Darling River, Bourke 1865. [PICMAN]
Grassmere. Near Wilcannia. Scene of a major confrontation in the shearers' strike of 1894. [Linda]
Harcourt, near Menindie. A selection on the Tolarno run in 1890 by Ted Baker. It included the old Cliffs Hotel, and the Baker family ran the Tartna Point post office and telephone exchange from the property. Karoola was later divided from the property for Frank Baker. [Linda]
Jamesville is downriver of Lelma on the eastern side of the Darling River between Pooncarie and Wentworth. When it was purchased by James Barraclough in 1909 it included "the old W. Smith selection, Middle Yards and the Homestead Lease". [Linda]
Kallara near Bourke was run by the Officer brothers. [PICMAN]
Kapana was a 640 acre selection and horse change on the eastern side of the Darling below Pooncarie. Purchased in 1879 as a square mile (640 acres) selection. It was operated by the Barraclough family, until the late 1880s, probably in conjunction with Z and S Burton's Royal Mail line of coaches and included a woodpile for passing steamers. [Linda]
Karoola see Harcourt
Kelleen, south of Pooncarie, was at one time a Cullinan property. [Linda]
Kinchega. South of Menindee. Owned by Hughes in 1888 and 419 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Kooralta. A Baker family property - see Harcourt.
Lelma on the eastern bank of the Darling River at Duffies Bend between Wentworth and Pooncarie. It was purchased by James Barraclough in 1893 as Homestead Lease 1293, and was sold to the Summers family in 1909. (Mrs Summers was a Weaver, and Alfred John Weaver married Fanny Barraclough). George Lambert married Fanny's sister Edith Barraclough, and their son Dick bought Lelma from Charlie Summers. The property has been owned by the Lambert family since at least 1920. Catherine Edith Barraclough (Edie) married George Lambert, and the property includes the original Kapana, the Barraclough horse change from the 1880s. [Linda]
Lethero is on the east banks of the Darling just south of Pooncarie. From at least the 1916 to the 1980s it was owned by the Wilkinson family and descendants. Originally part of Old Tarcoola, it included the Darling River Hotel. [Linda]
Mallara. South of Pooncarie, 188 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River, and in 1888 owned by Chad Barrit. Probably originally taken up by Peter Macfarlane, possibly as early as the 1840s, when he came overland from Sydney. The Macfarlane family then moved to Mallee Cliffs. There was a strong connection between this family and Gippsland, Victoria, with a grave to a Mackintosh in Wentworth cemetery being associated. [Source1] [Linda]
Mallee Cliffs, near Wentworth, was the second proprty of Peter Macfarlane, who died there in 1869. His first was Mallara, and both had a strong association with Gippsland and Mount Barker in South Australia, where two of his brothers were early pastoralists. [Linda]
Mallee Vale, north of Wentworth, was a property of Eb McKay and Nellie Lambert. [Linda]
Marapina. A Barraclough property near Wilcannia in the 1920s. [Linda]
Mautee. North of Wilcannia. Owned by Ayre in 1888 and 721 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Middle Yards see Burtundy, Jamesville. Included the Middle Yards hotel, of which one licensee was Hippisley. [Linda]
Moolarkar near Bourke was owned by the Bambrick family c1920s+. Ran sheep and cattle. [Jac]
Moorarra. North of Pooncarie. Owned by Barritt and Wreford in 1888 and 259 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Moorna. Darling River area (exact location sought). Site of the Bush Inn, operated by Charles Lambert in 1877. [Linda]
Mount Gibbs Station was the original property that now includes Broken Hill. It was owned by McCulloch, Sellars & Co from Melbourne and managed by George McCulloch, nephew of Sir James McCulloch, who served 4 terms as a Premier of Victoria between 1863 - 1877 and was one of the owners. It covered 1400 sq miles and ran sheep. Other names mentioned in connection with this property are boundary rider Charles Rasp, dam-sinker Poole, drover Sid Kidman, trooper O'Connel, Kennedy family (father & son drowned in Kennedy's Soak). The Mt Gibb's homestead is no more but was once very gracious with 8 or 9 rooms and wide laceworked verandahs; referred to by the station staff as "government house". [Jac]
Mount Murchison. North of Wilcannia. Owned by Smith & Co. in 1888 and 703 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Narraport. Horace Barraclough's property (near Wilcannia?). [Linda]
Netley. North of Pooncarie. Owned by Dunne in 1888 and 365 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1] Included the Harp of Erin Inn (licensees Martin, reid then Kenny) [Linda]
Nocoleche was an original homesteading property situated 125 miles west of Bourke consisted of approx 300,000 acres and carrying roughly 30,000 sheep c 1900. Thomas V R ROBINSON (youngest son of William and Martha Robinson) was a young stockman in 1900 and left c 1920 when the property was broken up into smaller lots. A horseback ride into Bourke in good weather took 2 days. See also Ularara. [Jac]
Para. Owned by Hopes in 1888 and 93 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1] Included the Welcome Inn at para east (licensee William Brown) [Linda]
Paramara. North of Menindee. Owned by Hughes in 1888 and 469 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Polia. North of Pooncarie. Owned by Pile in 1888 and 240 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Reddan. A Baker family property - see Harcourt.
Riverside. Roy Barraclough's property near Wilcannia. [Linda]
Rocky Waterholes (also known as Bellvue), upstream from Menindie. [Linda]
Romani was a sheep station run by Don Davey near Bourke, 1959. [PICMAN]
Studley. On the Darling River below Lelma, one time home of the Alfred John Weaver and Fanny Weaver nee Barraclough. [Linda]
Tapio. Owned by Ormond and Co in 1888 and 40 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. One of the original runs, Edith Barraclough was born there in 1875 while her father and elder brothers were working there as tank sinkers. [Source1] [Linda]
Tarcoola. South of Pooncarie Owned by Darchy in 1888 and 191 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. There was also an 'Old Tarcoola' in the same area, now Lethero, where the Lehman family had the darling River Hotel in 1880. [Source1] [Linda]
Tintnallogy. Between Menindee and Wilcannia. Owned by Staughton Bros. in 1888 and 564 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. [Source1]
Tolarno. North of Pooncarie. One of the original runs and owned by Reid in 1888 and 360 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. A section was selected by Ted Baker in 1890 and named Harcourt. [Source1] [Linda]
Truro on the Darling River between Wentworth and Pooncarie.
Ularara, near Wanaaring NW of Bourke was situated between the Paroo and Darling Rivers and was a lot drawn off Nocoleche by Thomas V R & Eliz M ROBINSON in 1922. The family worked both sheep and cattle and sold out in 1951. [Jac]
View Point on the darling River between Wentworth and Pooncarie. [Linda]
Weetoura Station near Bourke was run by Eric Lyell, 1930.
Weintergia. North of Menindee. Owned by Duffield in 1888 and 547 miles from Wentworth via the Darling River. Frank and Rebecca Barraclough were tank sinking there in 1888 when their first children, twins, Frederick and Florence were born. Also spelled Weinterrga [Source1] [Linda]
Wharoona, between Wentworth and Pooncarie. [Linda]
Womparley, near Bourke was purchased by Eric & Dorothy ROBINSON after WW2 and worked sheep and cattle. This family sold out c1970s after retirement. [Jac]
Woolena Selection, 1880, near Moree, NSW carried sheep, cattle and horses. William Augustus SMITH, travelling saddler-bootmaker cum bookmaker, pastoral agent and auctioneer (he was also a ladies man of considerable talent) was working there when his wife (Mary Molloy Wickham) gave birth to a son of the same name. Moree only officially opened up to settlement (as a town) in 1880. [Jac]
Yanga Station, Balranald. Established about 1842. Some
information held, but more sought. A more detailed history can be found in the Library.
Sources of Information
Source1: Murray and Darling Telegraph, Wentworth 14 June 1888. A list of stations and distances between Wentworth and Bourke by river was regularly published.
Jac: e-mail christo1$rocknet.net.au
Linda: e-mail kapana$netspace.net.au
PICMAN: State Library of NSW photographic database, accessed through http://www.nla.gov.au/servlet/imagesearch/
Return to home page.
Last updated on 22 July 2018