Towns - Wangaratta descriptions

Towns and Localities
Rural City of Wangaratta


For a map of this shire click HERE.

Angleside
Archerton
Bennie[s]
Black Swamp (see Boorhaman East)
Bobinawarrah
Boggy Creek
Boggy Creek Upper (see Myrrhee)
Bontharambo (see Boralma)
Boorhaman
Boorhaman East
Boorhaman North
Boralma
Bowman
Bowmans Forest (see Bowman)
Bowser
Brookfield
Byawatha
Byrne
Carboor
Carboor East
Carboor Upper
Carraragarmungee
Cheshunt
Cheshunt South
Claremont
Clarke (see Targoora)
Docker
Dockers Plains
Dwyer
East Wangaratta
Edi
Edi Upper
Eldorado
Escourt
Everton
Everton Upper
Fifteen Mile Creek
Glenrowan
Greta
Greta South
Greta West
Hamilton Park
Hanson (see Greta)
Hansonville
Hansonville South
Hedi (see Edi)
Hurdle Creek (see Bobinawarrah)
Hyem
Irish Town
Jarrot[t]
Killawarra
King Valley
Kneebones
Laceby
Londrigan
Markwood
Meadow Creek
Milawa
Milne (see King Valley)
Moyhu
Murmungee
Murraramungy (see Murmungee)
Murremungy (see Murmungee)
Myrrhee
Narimga (see Springhurst)
Napoleons Flat
North Wangaratta
Ovens Crossing (see Wangaratta)
Oxley
Oxley Flats
Oxley Plains (see Oxley Flats)
Peechelba
Peechelba East
Peechelbar (see Peechelba)
Peechelpa (see Peechelba)
Pelican Lagoon[s]
Pieper
Rose River
Sebastopol [Flat]
Skehan
Springhurst
Targoora
Tarrawingee
Tea Garden Creek (see Markwood)
The Napoleon (see Napoleons Flat)
The Springs (see Springhurst)
Upper Fifteen Mile Creek (see Fifteen Mile Creek)
Wabonga
Waldara
Wangandary
Wangaratta
Wangaratta East
Wangaratta South
Wangaratta North
Warroley (see Whorouly)
Warroughly (see Whorouly)
Warrowley (see Whorouly)
Whitfield
Whitfield North (see King Valley)
Whitlands
Whorley (see Whorouly)
Whorouly
Whorouly East
Whorouly South

---------------------------------------------------------

Return to Towns/localities page.

Return to home page.


Angleside
Approximate Location: Locality between Moyhu and Claremont.
Comments: Also a railway stop on the Wangaratta-Whitfield line named in 1904.


Archerton
Approximate Location: 45km SSE of Benalla and 25km NE of Mansfield.
Comments: Timber milling area named after Victorian Registrar-General William Archer.


Bennie[s]
Approximate Location: Rural locality 20km SE of Cheshunt in the foothills of the great Dividing Range.


Bobinawarrah
Approximate Location: 20km west of Myrtleford.
Comments: Hurdle Creek was an early name for the Bobinawarrah district.
Schools: SS1046 Hurdle Creek (as the area was then known) was opened in 1871. From 1878 it worked part-time with SS2536 Hurdle Creek West until both resumed full-time operation in 1890 and it closed in 1902.
SS2536 Hurdle Creek West (location unknown) opened in 1878(?) and worked part-time with SS1046 Hurdle Creek until both resumed full-time operation in 1890. The school closed in 1956, re-opened in 1959 and finally closed in 1965.
SS3325 Bobinawarrah East opened in 1899 (on the original site SS2152 Hurdle Creek East school), closed in 1939, re-opened in 1950 and closed some time after 1970.
Organisations: A Mechanics' Institute was established in 1881 and operated from the school which also acted as a public hall. The Soldiers Memorial Hall which opened in 1925  was used by the Mechanics' Institute as well as serving a number of other community purposes (e.g. tennis club).
Books:
See the Books page for details of a book about Hurdle Creek.


Boggy Creek
Approximate Location: Halfway between Myrrhee and Moyhu.
Comments: One of the numerous Boggy Creeks in Victoria.
Schools: A private school appears to have been operating in the Red Camp station prior to 1882. In 1885 SS2676 Boggy Creek opened (same day as SS2677 Boggy Creek Upper, now called Myrrhee, opened) and in 1893/4 worked part-time with SS2464 Edi and closed in 1897. In 1942 the school re-opened under the name Willowbank (an old nearby station) but closed in 1951.


Boorhaman
Approximate Location: 15km north of Wangaratta.
Comments: Also name of local station taken up in 1839.
Schools: A non-vested Catholic school (#928) operated from 1867 to 1877 when SS1996 opened.
SS1996 opened in 1877, closed in 1931, re-opened in 1934 and was still operational in 2003.
Buildings: A public hall is in existence (details of it are unknown).
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Boorhaman East
Approximate Location: 5km NE of Boorhaman.
Schools:SS3317 Black Swamp opened about 1898, renamed Boorhaman East in 1914 (although it had also been called Boorhaman) anclosed some time after 1970.


Boorhaman North
Approximate Location: 15km north of Boorhaman and about 5km east of Esmond and Bundalong South.
Schools: The school opened in association with SS1964 Brimin in 1980 in a part-time arrangement. It became SS2341 in its own right in 1880. It closed temporarily during part of 1927, was part-time with Boorhaman for part of the 1930s and closed some time after 1970.


Boralma
Approximate Location: 20km NE of Wangaratta on the Hume Freeway.
Comments: Previously called Bontharambo.
Schools: SS2574 Bontharambo opened in 1883 and the name changed to Boralma in 1913. In the late 1930s the school worked part-time with SS2860 Killawarra and closed some time after 1970.


Bowman
Approximate Location: 15km south of Beechworth.
Comments: Named after William Bowman who took up the Tarrawingee station in 1837. Historically called Bowmans Forest, although the 'Forest' may refer more specifically to the area north of the current Bowman.
Gold was found in various places nearby in what was called the Bowman's Forest goldfield which stretched  some 5-10km north and south of the current Bowman. The first find was on a tributary of the Burgoigee Creek near Buckland Gap (north of Murmungee) in 1855
Schools: SS822 Bowmans Forest opened in 1866. It closed in December 1903. In 1904 it re-opened part time with SS1740 Melbourne Road (Beechworth). Resumed full-time operation in 1907 and permanently closed in 1919.
Buildings
: The Bowmans Forest Athenaeum previously existed and may or may not have survived (details of it are unknown).
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Bowser
Approximate Location: 5km NE of Wangaratta (just off the Hume Fwy).
Comments: Named after John Bowser, Minister for Public Instruction 1908.


Brookfield
Approximate Location: 2-3km SE of Everton on the Ovens Highway.
Comments: Was a railway station on the now disused Wangaratta-Bright railway line. Not sure if related, but Hiram Crawford (a local businessman) named his property Brookfield after his birthplace in America.


Byawatha
Approximate Location: 15km NE of Wangaratta.
Schools: SS2387 opened in 1881 and closed in 1946.


Byrne
Approximate Location: 25km south of Wangaratta.
Comments: Named after local farmer Andrew Byrne.
Schools: SS4192 opened in 1925 and closed some time after 1970.


Carboor
Approximate Location: 40km SE of Wangaratta (and 20km west of Myrtleford).
Schools: SS2152 Hurdle Creek East opened in 1879, closed in 1882, re-opened in a location further upstream in 1885 part-time with SS2503 Carboor East, resumed full-time operation before 1893 but was again part-time with SS2502 Carboor East again shortly afterwards for an unknown period. In 1907 the school was again relocated further upstream. The school was renamed Carboor in 1924. The school closed some time after 1970.


Carboor East
Approximate Location: 10km SE of Carboor.
Schools: Carboor East operated as part of SS1422 Edi Upper before becoming a separate school (SS2503) in 1883. In 1883 it was working part-time with SS2553 Degamero (Cheshunt), and in 1885 it worked part-time with SS2152 Hurdle Creek East (Carboor). The school closed in 1887, re-opened part-time with SS2152 Hurdle Creek East in 1894, resumed full-time in 1910, worked part-time with SS3694 Meadow Creek Upper for a short period around 1920, and finally closed in 1934.


Carboor Upper
Approximate Location: 5km south of Carboor.
Schools: SS4870 opened in 1961 and closed some time after 1970.


Carraragarmungee
Approximate Location: 15km east of Wangaratta.
Schools: SS1704 opened in 1876. It was destroyed by fire in 1922, rebuilt and was still operating in 2003.


Cheshunt
Approximate Location: 50km south of Wangaratta.
Comments: Named after town in England.
Schools: SS2553 Degamero opened in about 1883. Degamero is the name of the first station in the area. It operated part-time with SS2503 Carboor East in 1883. For some time in the 1890s the school worked part-time with SS2441 Whitfield and for some time after 1906 the school was part-time with 3076 Glenmore at Cheshunt South. In 1927 a bushfire destroyed the school and its records. The school was re-built and in 1929 was renamed Cheshunt. The school closed some time after 1970.
Organisations: A mechanics' Institute existed sometime before 1895.


Cheshunt South
Approximate Location: About 8km south of Cheshunt.
Schools: SS3076 Glenmore (named after the local station) opened in 1906 part-time with SS2553 Degamero at Cheshunt. After many temporary closures it closed about 1922. In 1956 the school re-opened as Cheshunt South on a nearby site and closed some time after 1970.


Claremont
Approximate Location: Locality 30km south of Wangaratta on Wangaratta - Whitfield/Mansfield road


Docker
Approximate Location: 20km south of Wangaratta on Wangaratta - Whitfield/Mansfield road.
Comments: Docker is not to be confused with Dockers Plains (north of Wangaratta).


Dockers Plains
Approximate Location: 10km north of Wangaratta.
Comments: Named after place where Rev Joseph Docker settled in 1838.
Dockers Plains is not to be confused with Docker (south of Wangaratta) which is also named after the same person.
Schools: The Catholic Church opened a school (#832) in 1866 and it closed in 1877.
SS1962 opened in 1877, closed in 1898, re-opened in 1902 and finally closed in 1944.


Dwyer
Approximate Location: Locality about 2 km south of Claremont.
Comments: Also a railway stop on the Wangaratta-Whitfield line named in 1904.


Edi
Approximate Location: 35km south of Wangaratta on Wangaratta - Whitfield/Mansfield road.
Comments: Initially called Hedi after the 1848 Hedi station owned by the Faithfulls. Hedi is an aboriginal word for cold winds. Township was surveyed and proclaimed in 1885.
Schools: SS2464 Moyhu South (was the area also called Moyhu South?) opened in 1882. In 1888 it was operating part-time with SS2894 King Valley and in 1893/4 with SS2676 Boggy Creek. It resumed full-time operation in 1895 and closed some time after 1970.
SS2941 Edi South opened in 1889, worked part-time with SS2441 Whitfield possibly from 1893 until it resumed full-time operation in 1905 and closed in 1910. Unsure exactly where this school was located.
Cemetery: For details of the nearby Hyem-Whitfield cemetery click here.


Edi Upper
Approximate Location: About 8km SSE of Edi.
Schools: SS1422 opened in the 1870s and was called King Flat. The school has had a variety of names such as Hedi, Boggy Creek and Edi, and is currently called Edi Upper. In 1882/3 it operated part-time with SS2503 Carboor East. In 1894 the school worked part-time with SS2894 King Valley for a short time. It closed temporarily in 1953 due to a shortage of teachers and low attendance but was still operating in 2003.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here. Note that the larger Hyem-Whitfield cemetery is nearby.


Eldorado
Approximate Location: 20km ENE of Wangaratta.
Comments: Mining town. Gold was discovered here in October 1885.
Schools: The Church of England opened a school (#246) in December 1861. In 1967 a new single room school was built and the old building was handed over to the Museum Trust.
Churches: In 1870/1, a granite Anglican church (St Jude's) was built.
Buildings: A public hall is in existence (details of it are unknown).
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery Click here.
Museum: Click here.
Newspapers: Click here.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about this town.


Estcourt
Approximate Location: About 8km north of Wangaratta.


Everton
Approximate Location: 20km ESE of Wangaratta.
Comments: Named after an English town.
Schools: SS2031 Tarrawingee East began operation in 1878 when it replaced SS1066 Tarrawingee East. It was renamed Everton in 1889 and has since closed. SS5399 now operates in Everton.
Churches:
A Methodist Sunday School was established in 1868 and a brick church was built in 1907.
 


Everton Upper
Approximate Location: About 8km north of Everton.
Schools: A Rural School opened in 1871 and became SS1198 in 1873. It is now closed.


Fifteen Mile Creek
Approximate Location: The Fifteen Mile Creek is a creek which was presumably named as it crossed the Hume Hwy 15 miles from Benalla between Benalla and Wangaratta even though the source of the creek is many kilometres south near Archerton.
Schools: SS2868 Upper Fifteen Mile Creek opened in 1888 on a half-time basis with SS2130 Ryans Creek, becoming full-time in 1893 but closed in 1894. It re-opened in 1958 and finally closed some time after 1970. The school was renamed to Fifteen Mile Creek at an unknown time. There is currently a Fifteen Mile School Camp situated on the Benalla-Whitfield Road some 5 km SE of Greta South, so I assume that this may be the place of the original school.


Glenrowan
Approximate Location: 20km SW of Wangaratta on Hume Fwy.
Comments: Township situated on what was, in 1851, Peechelbar Station held by James and George Rowan. The town was surveyed in 1855 and proclaimed in 1866. The town 'relocated' about a mile closer to Wangaratta in the 1870s when the railway station was built outside of the town limits.
In June 1880 site of the last stand of the Kelly gang.
Schools: SS1742 opened in 1876.
Also see: Glenrowan West on the Rural City of Benalla page.


Greta
Approximate Location: 25km east of Benalla and 30km south of Wangaratta.
Comments: Hanson had been known by that name for many years before being officially surveyed and proclaimed in 1890. It was officially renamed Greta in 1951.
Schools: A Catholic school (#921) operated from 1867 to 1869.
A school began in 1870, became SS1385 in 1874 and was initially known as Hanson Rural School. It was still operating in 1966 but has since closed.
Churches:
A Methodist church was built here in 1868/1869. The initial Methodist services were held by Mr Palfreyman with the first resident minister being Rev S. C. H. Ramage.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about this town.


Greta South
Approximate Location: 10km south of Greta.
Schools: SS2452 opened in 1882, was part-time with SS2760 Laceby West for some period, and has since closed.


Greta West
Approximate Location: 5km WNW of Greta.
Comments: The township was surveyed and proclaimed in 1854 as Greta, but the town became known as Greta West when the Post Office  was moved to Hanson (which later became Greta) in 1886.
Schools: SS2573 Greta opened in 1883 and was part-time with SS1958 Laceby South in 1884. In 1886 when the Post Office moved closer to Hanson, both the Post Office and school were renamed Greta but the school was later renamed Greta West. It closed some time after 1970.


Hamilton Park
Approximate Location: About 4km north of Glenrowan.


Hansonville
Approximate Location: 30km east of Benalla and 30km south of Wangaratta.
Comments: Named after South Australian MP Sir Richard Davies Hanson.
Schools: SS1584 called Hanson South opened in 1875. The school name changed to Hansonville in 1908. It closed some time after the 1960s.


Hansonville South
Approximate Location: Locality just south of (and possibly encompassing) the township of Hansonville.


Hyem
Approximate Location: Locality about halfway between Edi and King Valley.
Comments: Also a railway stop on the Wangaratta-Whitfield line named in 1904.
Cemetery :  For details of the Hyem-Whitfield cemetery click here.


Irish Town
Approximate Location: A town which existed somewhere near Tarrawingee, but now gone.
Comments: Many other "Irishtown"s have existed in various areas presumably named after the dominant nationality in them.


Jarrot[t]
Approximate Location: Locality about 3km south of King Valley.
Comments: Also a railway stop on the Wangaratta-Whitfield line named in 1904.


Killawarra
Approximate Location: 15km NW of Wangaratta.
Schools: SS2860 opened part-time with SS2810 Killawarra West in 1888, was part-time with SS3105 Peechelba Township in 1893 and closed in 1894. It re-opened in 1906, worked part-time with SS2574 Boralma in the late 1930s and finally closed in 1941.
SS2810 Killawarra West (location unknown) opened part-time with SS2801 Boomahnoomoonah East in 1887, was part-time with SS2860 Killawarra in 1888 and closed in 1891.


King Valley
Approximate Location: 40km south of Wangaratta.
Comments: The area around King Valley was called Whitfield North in the 'early' days. A railway stop was named Milne in 1904 and renamed King Valley in 1909.
Schools:
SS2894 opened half-time in 1887, was half-time with SS2464 Moyhu South (Edi) in 1888 and was working full-time in 1889. In 1893 it worked part-time with SS1422 Edi Upper and it also worked part-time with SS2441 Whitfield for some time before it closed in 1899. The school re-opened in 1902, was re-named Milne in 1907 after the railway station before reverting to King Valley in 1909. The school closed some time after 1970.


Kneebones
Approximate Location: a few kilometres south of Murmungee.
Comments:
Short lived mining village after a gold find in c1856.


Laceby
Approximate Location: 5km south of Wangaratta.
Comments: Squatter William Cropper named his run after his family home in Laceby Lodge, England.
Schools: SS1958 Laceby South opened in 1877, in 1880 was part-time with SS1818 Taminick Plains, in 1884 part-time with SS2573 Greta Township, in 1886 part-time with SS2760 Laceby West, and closed in 1892. The school re-opened part-time with SS2760 Laceby West in 1901, closed in 1905, re-opened in 1907 and finally closed in 1931.
SS2760 Laceby West opened in 1886 part-time with SS1958 Laceby South. Through its life it operated as full-time and part-time with various schools such as SS1399 Laceby (now Oxley) and SS2452 Greta South before closing in 1917.


Londrigan
Approximate Location: 10km NE of Wangaratta.
Comments: A farming district named after a local station holder.


Markwood
Approximate Location: 20km SE of Wangaratta.
Comments: Initially called Tea Garden Creek but in 1924 was renamed Markwood after two prominent citizens R. Marks and J. M. Wood.
Schools: A school opened in 1872 and it became SS1221 Tea Garden Creek in 1873. It was still operating in 2003 and called Markwood.


Meadow Creek
Approximate Location: 30km south of Wangaratta and 5km east of Moyhu.
Schools: SS3431 opened in 1902 (initially on a part-time basis with SS1046 Bobinawarrah) and closed some time after 1970.
SS3694 Meadow Creek Upper (location unknown) opened in 1911, closed in 1917, re-opened in 1920 part-time with SS2503 Carboor East, closed in 1923, re-opened in 1944 and finally closed in 1946.


Milawa
Approximate Location: 15km SE of Wangaratta.
Comments: Named after Mary Jane Milawa.
Schools: Oxley Common School #737 opened in 1864 in Milawa. Later it operated from a location halfway between Milawa and Oxley, and in 1906 was re-established on its current site in Milawa. In 1910 the school was renamed Milawa and SS1399 Laceby was renamed to Oxley. It was still operating in 2003.
Buildings: The Milawa Free Library operated from a small room until the Mechanics' Institute hall was built on Factory Road in 1889. It was extended in 1899. By the time the building was again extended in 1960, the library had moved elsewhere. It is now called the Milawa Hall.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Moyhu
Approximate Location: 25km south of Wangaratta.
Schools: Rural School #96 opened in 1871 and became SS1335 in 1874. A new schoolhouse was erected in 1907 but due to a surveying error it was built away from the town. It was still operating in 2003.
SS3061 Moyhu North operated from 1890 until the end of 1891.


Murmungee
Approximate Location: 10km south of Beechworth.
Comments:
Variant spellings are Murraramungy and Murremungy.
Schools: A non-vested school (#997) was opened in 1869 and closed in 1969.


Myrrhee
Approximate Location: 40km south of Wangaratta.
Comments: Also the name of local station taken up by Dr George Mackay in 1838.
Schools: A school existed in the area prior to 1876 and possibly right up to 1885 when SS2677 Upper Boggy Creek opened (on the same day as SS2676 Boggy Creek). The school and all records were destroyed by bushfire in 1901, and it was rebuilt on a different site. At some time it was renamed Myrrhee and was still operating in 2003.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about this town.


Napoleons Flat
Approximate Location: Old goldtown a few kilometres east of Eldorado on the Woolshed Road.
Comments: The Napoleon was a variant name for this area. Gold discovered here in early 1857


Oxley
Approximate Location: 10km SE of Wangaratta.
Comments: Area named after Surveyor-General Major J Oxley in 1824 by Hume and Hovell. The township was surveyed in 1860 and proclaimed in 1863.
Schools: SS1399 Laceby opened in 1874. In 1910 SS737 Oxley was renamed Milawa and SS1399 Laceby was renamed to Oxley. For a period it was part-time with SS2760 Laceby West. It was still operating in 2003.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about the Shire of Oxley.
Newspapers: Click here and look under El Dorado.


Oxley Flats
Approximate Location: 8km SE of Wangaratta and about halfway between Oxley and Tarrawingee.
Comments: Oxley Plains is the original name for the locality southeast of Wangaratta including Oxley and Milawa. Oxley Flats is probably the same area. Also see Pelican Lagoon[s].
Schools: SS2347 Oxley Flats opened in 1881, closed in 1930, re-opened part-time with SS1116 Tarrawingee in 1931, closed in 1955, re-opened in 1956 and finally closed in 1971.


Peechelba
Approximate Location: 20km NNW of Wangaratta.
Comments: Earlier variant spellings were Peechelpa and Peechelbar.
Schools: SS2245 Peechelba opened in 1880 and closed in 1903.
SS3105 Peechelba Township opened in 1891, was part-time with SS2860 Killawarra from 1893 until 1894. The school was renamed to Peechelba in the 1940s and closed in 1970.
Buildings: A public hall is in existence (details of it are unknown).
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Peechelba East
Approximate Location: 3km NE of Peechelba.
Schools: SS4424 opened in the late 1920s and closed in 1955.


Pelican Lagoon[s]
Approximate Location: About 7km SE of Wangaratta between the Ovens River andf Tea Garden Creek.
Comments: Large locality consisting of many lagoons, originally part of George Grey's property. The historic Pelican homestead is in this area. The name was in use when a baptism occurred here in 1855. Possibly covers a similar area to Oxley Flats/Plains.


Pieper
Approximate Location: Locality about 3km north of Whitfield.
Comments: Also a railway stop on the Wangaratta-Whitfield line named in 1904.


Rose River
Approximate Location: Rural locality about 15km SE of Cheshunt.


Sebastopol [Flat]
Approximate Location: about 10km NW of Beechworth.
Comments: Name of Russian fort captured in 1855 by the French in the Crimean War.
This area is known as both Sebastopol and Sebastopol Flat.
Gold was discovered here in August 1885.
A more well known town of the name Sebastopol still exists as a suburb of Ballarat.
Schools: SS872 Sebastopol opened in 1867 and closed in 1869.


Skehan
Approximate Location: Locality between Oxley and Docker (slightly closer to Docker).
Comments: Also a railway stop on the Wangaratta-Whitfield line named in 1904.


Springhurst
Approximate Location: 25km NE of Wangaratta just off Hume Fwy.
Comments: Junction point of the Rutherglen/Wahgunyah railway line with the main north eastern line. The township was initially surveyed as Narimga. When the railway line went through in 1874, the railway station was named  [The] Springs after the homestead of the surrounding property Bontharambo Hills. At this stage the town had three hotels, a post office, a baker, a butcher and a general store, together with schools and churches and later a butter factory. Because of the railway station name the town was also known as The Springs. The station name was later changed to Springhurst at request of the Victorian Railway because of another station of the same name, and the township name was altered to Springhurst in the 1951 review.
Schools: SS1583 opened in 1875 and was still operating in 2003.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Targoora
Approximate Location: Locality 4km south of centre of Wangaratta.
Comments: Also name of a railway stop on the Wangaratta-Whitfield line which was called Clarke in 1904 and changed to Targoora later that same year.


Tarrawingee
Approximate Location: 10km east of Wangaratta.
Comments:  The 'official' township was surveyed prior to 1861about 5km east of the current township (and close to the cemetery) but was never proclaimed, so some confusion may exist over the official and actual location. Also the name of local station taken up in 1837.
Schools: The Catholic Church opened a school (#635) in 1858 and it closed in 1871.
SS616 opened in December 1858 and closed in 1867.
SS1116 opened in 1872. The school closed some time after 1970 and a campus of the Wangaratta Primary School now exists in the town.
SS1066 opened in 1870 and was called both Tarrawingee Grange and Tarrawingee East during its life. The school closed in 1878 when it was replaced by SS2031 Tarrawingee East at Everton (see Everton).
Churches: In 1866, an Anglican church (St Peter's) was built.
Buildings: A public hall is in existence (details of it are unknown).
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.
Newspapers: Look under Eldorado here.


Wabonga
Approximate Location: Locality in the Alpine National Park about 15 km NE of Mount Buller Alpine Village.


Waldara
Approximate Location: Locality about 10 km NW of Wangaratta.


Wangandary
Approximate Location: 8 km WNW of Wangaratta.
Schools: SS1717 opened in 1876 and closed in 1891. In 1899 the school re-opened on a new site in 1901 and finally closed sometime before 1949.


Wangaratta
Approximate Location: 70km SW of Albury-Wodonga on the Hume Freeway.
Comments: Original name of this area was Ovens Crossing from the Ovens Crossing Place station taken up by William Clarke in 1838. Note that Porepunkah was also called Ovens crossing for some time. Wangaratta was surveyed and proclaimed in 1849.
Post Office: A Post Office operated in a shanty from 1843 with a 'permanent' building built in 1874. John Bond was an early postmaster.
Schools: Small private schools existed from as early as 1848.
In 1850 SS643 opened on its present site in Chisholm St and was operational in 2003.
The Catholic Church opened a school (#679) in 1858 and it closed in 1877.
SS1272 Wangaratta North operated from 1873 until 1895.
SS2391 (also in the Wangaratta North area) opened in 1881 and closed in 1969.
SS4642 Wangaratta West opened in 1950 and was still operational in Phillipson St in 2003.
SS4761 Yarrunga opened in the 1955 and was still operational in White Street in 2003.
SS5207 Appin Park opened in the 1970s and was still operational in Appin Street in 2003.
A High School opened in 1909.
A Technical School opened in 1928.
Churches:
Between 1866 and 1869, a brick Roman Catholic church (St Patrick's) was built on the corner of Ovens and Reilly Streets. Additions were made in 1905 and 1961.
Rev Henry Moore held the first Methodist service in the local Court House in 1869. In 1870 Rev R.W. Campbell opened a newly erected church which was replaced by a brick building in 1885.
Between 1898 and 1899. a brick Presbyterian church (St Paul's) was built in Ovens Street.
Buildings: A Court of Petty Sessions operated under NSW jurisdiction for the 5 months before Victoria became a colony. The present court house was built in Faithfull Street in 1938 and was extended in 1963 and 1985.It was still operating as County, Supreme and Magistrate's Courts in 2000.
An Athenaeum operated as far back as 1861 initially in the courthouse but then in the town hall and then in the old Post Office building before a library building was constructed on Murphy Street in 1908. Sometime in the 1980s or 1990s the library has moved to newer premises.
Cemetery: For details of the cemeteries click here.
Family History Group:
Click here.
Museum: Click here.
Newspapers: Click here.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about this town.


Wangaratta East
Approximate Location: Locality about 5km east of Wangaratta.


Wangaratta North
Approximate Location: Locality about 5km north of Wangaratta.


Wangaratta South
Approximate Location: 5km SW of Wangaratta.
Schools: SS1580 opened in 1875 and closed some time after 1962.


Whitfield
Approximate Location: 45km south of Wangaratta.
Comments: Private subdivision in the late 1800s.Also name of local station taken up in 1845 by William Clarke.
See also King Valley which was called Whitfield North in earlier days.
Schools: A school existed for many years before SS2441 became official in 1882. During the 1890s it worked part-time with Cheshunt and King Valley and SS2941 Edi South. It closed some time after 1970.
Cemetery: For details of the Hyem-Whitfield cemetery click here.


Whitlands
Approximate Location: 50km south of Wangaratta.
Schools: SS4536 opened in 1935, closed in 1946, re-opened in 1962 and finally closed in 1969.


Whorouly
Approximate Location: 15km NW of Myrtleford and 30km SE of Wangaratta.
Comments: The township was surveyed and proclaimed in 1868. It was also the name of station taken up by Dr G.E. Mackay in 1848. Variant spellings were Whorley, Warrowly, Warroley and Warroughly.
Schools: The Catholic Church opened a school (#1121) in 1871 and it closed in 1874.
SS1373 opened in 1874 and was still operating in 2003.
SS4542 Whorouly North opened in 1936 and closed in 1950.
|Buildings:  The Library Hall was built in 1907 and while still in use for community purposes it no longer serves as a library.


Whorouly East
Approximate Location: 5km SE of Whorouly.
Schools: A school operated as early as 878, became SS2478 in about 1882, closed in 1895, re-opened in 1915 and closed some time after 1970.


Whorouly South
Approximate Location: About 4km south of Whorouly.
Schools: SS3056 opened in 1890 and closed in 1895.
SS4028 opened in 1925 and closed some time after 1970.


Return to Towns/localities page.

Return to home page.


You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 21st March 2000.

Last updated on 28 August 2006