Edi Upper Cemetery
The Edi Upper Cemetery is located a few kilometres south of Edi on the Edi-Cheshunt Road (i.e. on the road to Edi Upper). In reality it is a lot closer to Edi than to Edi Upper. This cemetery appears to be on private property. According to the Road Numbering System, the entrance of the property where the graves are located is 263 Edi Cheshunt Rd. The exact location has the following co-ordinates: 59 42060 Northing, 554 49850 Easting, or latitude/longitude of 146.438 East and 36.665 South
Copyright for the pictures associated with this page is held by Kelvin Freemantle, Benalla. Thanks to Kelvin for permission to use his photos and for his transcriptions.
Note:- Click on any of the photos on this page to see a higher resolution photo.
The above three graves are grouped in a single enclosure. 70 metres away to
the north east is the following stone.
Nearby, outside the fenced off area, are three bases (only one shown) and a capstone are laying on the ground indicating the possibility of existence of other graves
Travel on towards Edi Upper but turn east into Pettifers Rd after passing the tennis courts. Three to four kilometres further on (about 2 km before reaching the Carboor Upper Rd) and a little before you reach the forested area and on the right hand side about 100 metres into the paddock in a North Easterly direction, there is a lone grave consisting of a rough stone with plaque attached beside a wooden cross. The location of the nearest point on the road is: 59 39470 Northing, 554 54800 Easting, or latitude/longitude of 146.499 East and 36.689 South.
The plaque reads
WILLIAM (BILL) SHIELDS
born Kirkbythore England 16. 8. 1828
died Edi 12. 6 1888
At peace in Gods care
Return to resources page.
Return to NE Cemeteries page.
Return to home page.
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 18th July 2004.
Last updated on 09 October 2005