Notable dates in Winton's History

Kaye's Greta, Myrrhee and Winton webpages


Some Notable Dates in Winton's History

 

   Winton, Victoria

DATE

YEAR

EVENT

Approx.

1853

George CHANDLER settles in Winton, and commences business as a storekeeper

-

1857

The township of Winton was surveyed by Assistant Surveyor J. G. Wilmot

Approx.

1858

William MAGENNIS settles in Winton

25-Feb

1861

Township of Winton proclaimed

1-Jan

1864

Post Office opens. William MAGENNIS probable postmaster

Jul

1864

First hotel (known as the Commercial Hotel) opens. It was built by George CHANDLER on land owned by William MAGENNIS.

-

1865

Winton and district population 300

-

1866

Bournebank Methodist Church opens

-

1869

William BLACKBURNE postmaster

-

1869

Henry SAWYER blacksmith until 1888

1-Aug

1869

First Winton Primary School SS 991 opened by Catholic Church. Eileen T MANNING appointed Head Teacher

-

1870

George CHANDLER postmaster

Mar

1871

"Publican's License. First Schedule. I, William BLACKBUKRNE, of Winton, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next licensing meeting apply for a publican's license for a house situated at Winton, containing four rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family."

-

1873

David LINDSAY runs Commercial Hotel/liquor store

-

1874

Martin STAFFORD postmaster

mid

1870s

Henry FREITAG, stonemason of Winton, employs Ned KELLY

Jan

1874

SS 991 becomes a capitation school

-

1876

2 acres of land purchased from William CAMERON by Education Department for new Winton school

Apr

1876

Winton School SS 1870 opens, head teacher Patrick FITZPATRICK

16-Apr

1877

SS 991 closes, children transferred to SS 1870

9-Dec

1877

Winton Railway station opens. Mrs Ellen GREENWOOD appointed first railway gatekeeper

16-Apr

1878

Constable FITZPATRICK stops at David LINDSAY's hotel with a slight flesh wound

-

1880s

John McMONIGLE opens first Winton butcher shop

early

1880s

Thomas GILDING first Winton bookmaker

early

1880s

Maurice WILLIAMS opens licensed hotel, the Williams Hotel, corner of Huntly and High St

-

1888

John STAFFORD buys Williams Hotel

-

1890

New Methodist Church opens to replace original

-

1890

Butter Factory opens, Robert WARNOCK first magager

-

1891

Mary Ann LINDSAY liquor storekeeper until 1896

-

1891

J READON licensee of Williams Hotel to 1892

-

1891

George SHERWILL Winton butcher

-

1893

Elizabeth SKELTON licensee of Williams Hotel to 1895

-

1895

John JUSTICE blacksmith

-

1896

Winton Public Hall built by Fred HAMMOND

-

1896

Frederick HAMMOND licensee of Williams Hotel to 1899

-

1897

William FREITAG blacksmith until 1915. He was the last Winton blacksmith

-

1897

James KELLY second Winton boot maker

- 1900 Henry PEACOCK licensee of Williams Hotel to 1904
- 1900 Winton Woodmill opened and operated by Ernest ZIEBELL
3-Jul 1901 Church of Good Shepherd, Church of England opens
- 1905 Thomas CAHILL licensee of Williams Hotel to 1908
- 1905 Edward SMYTHE last Winton bootmaker
- 1906 William COOKE last butcher until 1920
- 1906 HEAD and GREEN buy Winton Woodmill

-

1909

Barbara TINDALL licensee of Williams Hotel to 1912

-

1910

Patrick FITZPATRICK retires as head teacher of Winton school SS 1870 after 33 years service. Benjamin BUDDS his succussor

-

1911

First public telephone installed at the Railway Station

-

1913

Kenneth McINTOSH licensee of Williams Hotel to 1914

-

1913

Charles ABLEY operates Winton Woodmill

-

1915

Mrs M STAFFORD licensee of Williams Hotel to 1922

-

1917

Methodist Church destroyed by strong winds

-

1918

Methodist Church rebuilt

About

1920

Williams Hotel burns down. Replaced by brick structure

-

1920

John LYNCH operates Winton Woodmill until 1922

- 1923 Phillip HEDLEY licensee of Williams Hotel
- 1923 J B CUNNINGHAM licensee of Williams Hotel to 1925
- 1923 William SWABY buys Winton Woodmill
Jun 1926 Church of Good Shepherd, Church of England closes
Apr 1939 Area suffers its worst floods since 1870

-

1940s

Robert GREEN last owner of the Winton Woodmill

-

1941

Mrs Amy RATCLIFF Station Mistress until 1945

Feb

1952

Old Williams Hotel renovated and reopened by Chris BEAUMONT as 'Atlantic' café and service station

31-Aug

1959

Railway Station closes

18-Jan

1960

Winton Post Office closes. Valerie DUNCAN last postmaster

Mar

1987

Winton by-passed by Hume Freeway

     

Return to Kaye's home page.
Return to AVNE home page.