October 2006


Written and Published Online by John Silver

w/contributing articles by various Silver cousins



Dear Family,


Here it is, fall and the weather is giving us a break.  After catching the tail wind of the hurricane, we were blessed with much rain and cursed with high winds.  Delaware didn’t suffer too much damage so everything is about back to normal.

This month, I’d like to present a long story.  It is long, but it all fits together in the end, telling of a tragedy that touched several of our family members.  It was in the past but every now and then these stories surface again.  I try to be as accurate as possible but please bear with me if you find mistakes.

Cousin John


William Edge



William Edge was married to Hannah McMahan who was the mother of Martha, who married Henry Gilbert Silver, son of Reverend Thomas Silver, then to Nelson Harris.  Joe Reid fathered Martha though she lived in the household of William Edge and went by the name of Martha Edge.

William Edge was born about 1790.  He was over twenty years older than his wife Hannah. The Edges lived along the road between Burnsville and Micaville in Yancey County, North Carolina. 

William apparently did not father any children but he obligingly raised a large number of boys and girls, all of whom went by the name of Edge, and whose mother was Hannah McMahan.  There was Sarah who was born in 1835 and married John Marsh; Naomi Martha who was born in 1837 and married Henry Silver and later Nelson Harris; William who was born in 1839; James Gold who was born in 1841 and died in 1892; Thomas T. who was born in 1845 and married Margaret M. Silver who was a daughter of Greenberry and Malinda Elizabeth Smith Silver; twins, Henry Jr. and John W. who were born in 1847 and Jason born in 1850 and married Mary.  John W. Edge married Emmaline Robertson, daughter of John and Susan Bailey Robertson.  John W. died in 1932 and is buried at Blue Rock.

It is believed that a Silver fathered Sarah and that John Reid fathered the other Edge children.

William and Hannah lived their later years with Sarah and her husband, John Marsh, who was a tailor by trade.  They lived at Crab Tree in Yancey County.

Liddie Chrisawn said that Naomi Martha Reid Edge Silver Harris lived across from her at Cane Branch between Micaville and Burnsville in Yancey County and the homeplace of Nelson Harris was also here.

She said of Martha, “Her real name was Reid and she went by the name of Edge.  Old Grandad Edge was supposed to be her daddy, but he wasn’t.  It was a Reid, Old Joe Reid.  They went by the man that raised them, but they weren’t nary a one really Edge.  They was Reids.  Aunt Marthy and Aunt Sally was the girls, and there was John and Jase and Gold and Tom and Will. Their father was Billy Edge and the old woman’s name was Hannah.  Joe Reid was the father of them all.  He give ‘em all this property.  All but Sally Marsh.  He didn’t give her nothin’.  He said she wasn’t his’n and he wouldn’t give her any.  He give Aunt Marthy that land up there around where I live.  People back then was taught to call old people Aunt and Uncle.  We just called all old people aunt and uncle.”

“Why, certainly everyone knowed.  Well, my mother said, ‘I know that y’all wouldn’t know that.’ But I knowed just what she told me.  They said when this Reid would come – you know he was well off – old man Edge would get his gun and go to the mountains.  He (Reid) had a better nerve than I did….with a man with a gun. I wouldn’t aknowed  whether he was going to the mountains or coming back on me.”

“Nelse Harris lived across the road from me.  That old house back up there.  They owned that whole farm up there – the Harrises did – from way back.”

“I know that at one time they said Aunt Marthy lived in Grape Hollow.  On Bailey’s Creek, they call it the Grape Hollow.  It’s above that old spar mill. It’s like you’re going up South Toe, up 80.  When you get to Bowditch, you turn there and you go way up in the mountain. They always called it Grape Hollow. I reckon they was lots of grapes or somethin.  She lived in that one time when she was araisin her first children.”

(George Silver Sr. > George Silver Jr. > Rev. Thomas Silver > Henry Gilbert Silver m. Martha Edge (Reid).

(George Silver Sr. > George Silver Jr.> Greenberry Silver > Margaret M. Silver m. Thomas T. Edge (Reid).  Thomas was murdered in Burnsville.)


Nelson Harris



Nelson Harris was the father of Lillie Harris who married Jim Wilson

Nelson Harris was born in Yancey County, North Carolina.  His parents were William R. Harris and Anney M.

When he was age 19, Nelson Volunteered to Join Company B of the 29th Regiment of North Carolina Troops on July 3, 1861.  He was still a private in the same Company when he was taken prisoner at Spanish Fort, Mississippi on April 8, 1865, at the End of the Civil War.  He was transferred to Ship Island at Vicksburg, Mississippi, on May 1, 1865 and paroled.

After the war, Nelson married Naomi Martha Edge (Reid) Silver.  She had been married to Henry G. Silver and had four children.  Henry died from wounds received in combat south of Richmond on June 18, 1862.  He had enlisted at age 30 in May of 1861 in Burnsville and had risen to the rank of Sergeant in Captain Nelson M. Wilson’s B Company of the 16th Regiment of North Carolina Troops.

The marriage of Nelson and Martha took place on September 14, 1865 before F. Young, Justice of the Peace.

Martha had lived in a section called Grape Hollow during the war and had endured many difficulties while taking care of four children by herself.  She later told of hoeing corn by moonlight while the children slept.  She filed an application with the government to collect the back pay owed her late husband.

During her childhood, Martha would look forward to visits from her real father, Joseph Reid.  He would bring her beautiful clothes as well as nuggets of gold that he kept in his saddlebags.  She was very proud and liked to dress up in her finery.

Nelson lived in Yancey County although it was stated that he had taken a job at a fabric mill in Caroleen, North Carolina.  He died on January 15, 1897 and at the time of his death was only 52.

The children of Nelson and Martha were:  J. Goodson, born 1867; Jane, born 1869, died 1896; Joe, born 1871; L.B. (Lillie) born 1874 married Jim Wilson; Robert W. “Bob,” born 1877 and Fred, born 1881.  Joe and Fred did not marry.  Martha had four children by Henry G. Silver, including Henrietta Josephine, who did not marry and died 1n 1892; Margaret Cordelia “Deal,” born 1852, married Andrew D. Hall and Nathaniel Ingersoll Bowditch.  She died in 1921; Catherine Ella “Eller,” born 1857 and married A. D. Hall.  She died in 1885;  Lavada Eliza “Lizey,” born 1860, married James McCoury and had seven children.  She died in 1931.

Nelson Harris lived near the Edge family on Cane Branch near the road between Burnsville and Micaville.

Martha lived to age 90.  She died on November 15, 1927 and is buried at Celo, Yancey Co., North Carolina.


Thomas T. Edge



Thomas T. Edge (Reid) was born on 25 December 1845 in Yancey County, North Carolina. He married Margaret M. Silver, b. 30 January 1846, daughter of Greenberry and Malinda Elizabeth “Eitel” Smith Silver.

Thomas was a farmer in Yancey County, North Carolina.  He enlisted at the age of 17 in the Confederate Army in Wake County, NC, on 13 June 1861.  He was discharged on 2 August 1862 for being underage.

Apparently he reenlisted as his name appears on a list of deserters received by the Federal Authorities in Knoxville, Tennessee, on 31 May 1864. Apparently Thomas, as did many others, deserted in the last months of the war. They realized that for all practical purposes that the war was over.  Thomas’ muster card, dated 12 November 1861 states, “absent, sick in hospital.” He was admitted to the Moore Hospital, Danville, Virginia, on 24 December 1861.  Diagnosed as having pneumonia, he was described as 5 feet six inches tall with dark hair and dark complexion.

His name appears on a prisoner of war card of the Military Prison in Louisville, Kentucky, stating that he was captured in May of 1864.  After taking the Oath of Allegiance he was released on or about 31 May 1864.

After the Civil War, Thomas returned to Yancey County and resumed farming.  He married Margaret Silver and they were blessed with nine children in the Yancey Census of 1880.  Actually, they had eleven children.

Their children were: John Henry, born 24 October 1866.  Married Minnie Ida Boone (1869 – 1953) on 16 October 1887.  Henry died about 1961; Julia Rosetta, born 19 September 1868. Died 10 June 1956.  Married (1) Samuel Carson Robinson  (2) Simeon Hilliard; Lillie Cordelia, born 10 December 1870, died 22 July 1927. Married Nathaniel Nelson “Nat” Silver; Mollie B., born 25 November 1872. Married Harvey Fox; Arrey L. Edge, born 12 May 1875;  Genetti “Nettie.” Born 10 January 1878. Married Mr. Hughes.  Green B., born 20 June 1880; Thomas Lynn, born 12 September 1882. Died abt 1954. Married Bessie J. McCurry; Lee, born 11 June 1885; Bertha L. born 14 January 1886, died abt 1946. Married Alonzo D. Gillespie; Cora B. born 10 September 1888. Died 14 September 1957. Married Welzie B. Robinson.

On 12 December, 1888, Thomas was at a Turkey Shooting contest in Burnsville, NC.  He was shot and killed by John “Muttonhead” Wilson.  In his confession, John stated that he was drunk at the time of the shooting and did not know what he was doing.  He had no memory of the affair and stated that Tom Edge was one of his best friends.

(George Silver Sr.  > George Silver Jr. > Greenberry Silver > Margaret M. Silver m. Thomas T. Edge.)


John B. Wilson



John B. “Muttonhead” Wilson was born about 1849 in Yancey County, North Carolina.  He was a son of George “Flint George” and Nancy Wilson.

John was a farmer and married Sarah Stewart.  They had 4 children, all sons.  They were: William P. Wilson (1871-1957); Jasper Wilson (1875 – 1945);  George W. Wilson (1878 – 1955);  Robert H. Wilson (1880 – 1959)

(George Silver Sr. > George Silver Jr. > Rachel Silver m. Edward “Big Ned” Wilson > Nancy Wilson m. George “Flint George” Wilson > John B. Wilson.)



The following is a newspaper article published in Burnsville on February 6, 1890.  It is an account of the murder of Thomas T. Edge and the hanging of John Wilson.




FEBRUARY 6, 1890


At half-past 5 p.m. the Sheriff and guard arrived at the jail with the condemned.  The scene was a sympathetic one, and long to be remembered by all who witnessed it.  The prisoner was taken from the carriage and conducted to the door, there he met his brother, Nathan Wilson, who burst into tears and started talking to him about his departure from this world.  The prisoner told him not to grieve after him, for he was prepared to meet his fate, and was trusting alone in his Savior.  He said when he was first placed in prison he knew his doom; knew that he would have to face the cold and stormy Jordan of death.  That he knew that he had nothing to do but to pray to his God for forgiveness, and that thanks to his Holy Name he was not afraid to die.

About this time his wife entered.  He embraced her and exclaimed, “It is a sad thing for one to know that he has to die and leave his loving wife and dear little ones: but God the Father in whom I trust will not forsake them.”

Supper was then announced by the Jailer.  The prisoner was conducted to the table where he ate a very hearty meal with the Jailer, Sheriff, Guard and writer.



The prisoner said “The third night after I was placed in prison I felt by the Grace of God that I was received, but in a short time I became dissatisfied fearing the Lord had forsaken me.  I continued in prayer faithfully, but never became satisfied until I was removed to the Asheville jail where I felt the love of Jesus in my heart, and I have no fears of death, tomorrow at two o’clock I shall be rejoicing around the Throne with loved ones gone on  before.”  The prisoner then knelt and offered an earnest prayer in behalf of his family, relatives and the relatives of Thomas Edge.



On being asked how he rested he replied “didn’t sleep any, I rested that’s all, and feel as well as I have in six months except the soreness produced yesterday by my ride from Asheville.”  He ate a very hearty Breakfast and said there was no dread on his mind to take his appetite.

He was then taken to the dressing room.  He requested the Jailer to bring him a razor that he might shave himself before dressing and the razor was given him.  He shaved and then dressed as calm as though he were going to town.

After he had dressed, his oldest son, William, was allowed to see him.  He said, “Son this is a solemn scene for you to look upon your Father at this time.  In another hour or two I will be gone from you.  Do you realize the cause of it?  It was whiskey. O God forbid that my children should ever enter into the kind of life I have fallen into.  May this day be a good beginning of a good life for you my son.  Son never follow your father’s footsteps; for the life I have lived before my children and the young men of this county has been bad.  Before I committed this shocking crime I had a severe attack of arisipelas; the Doctor told me I must die.  I vowed to God that if he would restore me I would live a different life, but I failed to keep my vow.  The first liquor I bought was on the 22nd day of December 1888.”

“When I left home I expected to get my whiskey and return the same very same day, but alas I got under the influence of the vile stuff, and committed that vile deed, and before my God I know nothing except from the evidence.  I do not deny being guilty, and today I have to suffer the penalty of death….for I have taken that which I cannot give.”

The prisoner said that he would like to talk to the people at the gallows in about two hours were it not so cold, he therefore wished to stay in the prison till 15 minutes of the time for his execution.  When asked if that was all he had to say he replied “You know I am accused of murdering my child and a peddler, prior to the killing of Thomas Edge.  I wish to say these accusations were false.  I trust that God will forgive my sins.  I also wish to tell the wife of Thomas Edge that in my prayers I have often thought of her, and offered a sincere prayer in her behalf, for I have robbed her of a loving husband and her children of a kind and affectionate father.  I had nothing on earth against him.  He was one of my best friends and would accommodate me when no other would, and heaven knows it was not my desire to commit the deed, if I had been conscious of it.  I have this day asked her to forgive me.  Bear this message to her as it is my dying request.”

Wilson asked us to have the following letter published:

“This is to certify that I was brought to the Asheville Jail May 6, 1889.  I was in the care of William Jamerson until February 5, 1890 and was kindly treated and cared for by him.  He had been kind to me as a father, and treated my family with the greatest respect when with me.  I have also been kindly treated by the citizens of Buncombe County.  I continue to hold prayer every night before lying down, while some were playing cards and some were dancing, but the Lord strengthened me.

Young men a word with you: shun this place.  You know not the trials and temptations that are here.  I did not know all the alphabet when placed in prison.  Now I can read almost anywhere in the New Testament.  How the name of Jesus sounds so sweet to me.  I put my trust in him alone, that I may be worthy of a happy home.  I am sentenced to death but fool that I am, I will go where there is no sorrow, weeping, pain or woe, to reign and abide with Christ forever more.  Farewell vain world, adieu to all.

I have been treated as kindly as I could wish by Sheriff Woody and Wood Young, Jailer of Yancey.  It’s my request that W.D. Royal assist the Sheriff in the execution, as he has had experience in such.  My prayers are that Captain William Moore will be rewarded for his persistent efforts in my behalf.  He has done more than I could ask.”

The most touching scene was at half-past eleven when Robbie and George, the smallest boys, entered the cell.  He took them in his arms and they began to weep piteously.  He gave them each an orange and told them that this was the last thing that their papa would ever give them.

Wilson asked us to bow with him and his family for prayer:  “Oh Lord, I thank thee for the privilege of bowing in my cell for the last time before entering upon the scene of my execution.  All is with me except one who is home sick.  Lord have mercy upon him.  May this be the beginning of good things with them.  May they this day turn their faces toward Christ and never turn back till they find him precious to their dying souls. O God have mercy upon my aged Father and Mother, help them over this execution. Make this burden as light as possible.  O Lord remember the widow and those whose hearts I have caused to bleed.  Bind their hearts with bands of eternal love and make them rejoice in thy sight.  Have mercy upon sinners everywhere and when it is their time to die gather them unto thyself in Heaven.  God be with me at the gallows today when the time of departure comes.  May the execution be performed in decency and in order.  And when my soul shall leave my body may it have a home in Heaven.  This is my prayer for Christ’s sake.”

Then the Rev. W.A. Robertson was called in and offered a pathetic prayer.

Wilson was then taken from the prison and led to the carriage and tied in, the guard formed around and the procession started.  The gallows were reached about one o’clock.  The prisoner was helped out and with a steady step ascended the scaffold.  Robertson ascended the steps and at the prisoner’s request read the 51st Psalm.  Then they bowed and Wilson sent up their last petition while his family were crouched at the foot of the steps weeping bitterly.  Then he said, “If there is anyone who wishes to ask me a question I am prepared to answer them.”

His hands and feet were tied.  Sheriff Woody placed the rope around his neck and drew a black cloth from his pocket, put it over Wilson’s head (the rope was six feet).  He was then led under the beam.  It was now about 45 minutes past one and one minute later the rope was cut, and 28 minutes later was pronounced dead by Doctors Ray and Lewis, and 14 minutes later was cut down and delivered to his friends who took him to Crabtree for interment.


(This article was sent by a descendant of John Wilson of Chattanooga, Tennessee, June 1981 and submitted by Mrs. Kirby Ray Whittaker, 20 Bellhaven Road, Asheville, NC.)



Who’s Who in the Civil War Letters to Folks Back Home

Compiled by John Silver Harris and presented by Rex Redmon



            The numerous Civil War letters which I published in Silver Threads during the past two and a half plus years alludes to many names in the contents of the letters. Those of us who are historically familiar with both the Gouge and Silver Families perhaps might recognize many of the names and make direct connections to our ancestral families. 


However, the majority of you I’m sure were not familiar with many of the names and it is my intention to again bring those names to your attention and familiarize you with who the people mentioned were and how they connected to the Gouge and Silver Families of Mitchell and Yancey Counties. 


Volume I, Issue XII in December of 2003 contains the first letter we published. The letter was written in October or November of 1861 by John Gouge to his father, William “Pappy” Gouge Sr.


William “Pappy” Gouge Sr. was the son of John and Elizabeth Hoppes Gouge of Virginia. William was born May 18, 1789 and he married Martha, a lady of the Thomas family of Mitchell County.  William and Martha raised ten children, four of whom served in the Civil War.  Two sons, John and William Jr. “Little Billy” never came home from the war, dying from camp ridden diseases such as Typhoid Fever.  Garrett Deweese Gouge and his brother, Edmond, survived their service to the Confederate Cause.[1]


John Gouge, writer of the first letter was born on April 1, 1819. He married Mary “Polly” Wilson on June 20, 1848 and they were the parents of three children. John volunteered on October 10, 1861 into Colonel Palmer’s Legion consisting of rangers from Mitchell County.  He died in Huntersville, Virginia, only a short month from his enlistment, on November 1861, probably from Typhoid Fever.[2]  He is buried in Virginia.


Edward Roberson is mentioned in John’s first letter as a very sick friend who John takes to the army hospital sixty miles away.  Rhonda Gunter, researcher of many of those mentioned in the Civil War letters suggests Edward was a Robinson and may have lived in the South Toe River area. She says he could be the same person as Ned Robinson. He is probably a grandson of George Robertson, born 1776 in Virginia, and Susan Woody.[3] 


Unfortunately, if that is the only letter John Gouge ever had the opportunity to write to his parents, it was his only letter as there are not other letters preserved.


J.D. (John David) Howell is the writer of the next preserved letter we published in Volume II, Issue I in January 2004. The letter was published on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1861. J.D. Howell was married to Sarah “Sally” Wilson, sister to Rosanah Wilson Gouge, wife of Garrett Dawes Gouge. J.D. enlisted in Company E, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment on August 176, 1861. He was wounded at Seven Pines on May 31, 1862 and died soon after. He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Richmond Virginia.[4]


His letter is written to Garret (Deweese) Gouge and his wife (Rosanna Wilson Gouge).


John Silver is the writer of the third letter on July 1, 1862.  The letter is addressed from Grainger County, Tennessee and is written to his cousin, Martha Gouge. John is the son of Alfred and Elizabeth Gouge Silver.  Alfred was the son of Rev. Jacob Silver and Nancy Reed. Elizabeth Gouge Silver was the daughter of William Gouge Sr. and Martha Thomas Gouge. He is also the nephew of Garrett Deweese Gouge et al. and brother to Levi, Tilman Blalock, Alexander Silver et al. He was only seventeen years old when he enlisted into Company I of the 29th North Carolina Infantry Regiment.  He was captured near Atlanta, Georgia, July 22, 1864. He was first sent to Nashville, and then confined at Louisville, Kentucky on July 29, 1864. He was paroled on August 2, 1864 and was transferred to Camp Chase, Ohio.  He was again transferred to Bouler’s Wharf on the James River in Virginia where he was part of a prisoner of war exchange.[5] 


In his letter he refers to Uncle Garrett (Garrett Deweese Gouge).  Garrett Deweese Gouge has not entered the Civil War as of July, 1862 and the majority of the preserved Civil War letters that were published were Garrett’s letters to his wife, Rosanna Wilson. 


William Morgan Willis is the writer of our first letter in Volume II, Issue II published February 2, 2004. His letter is written to Garrett and Rosanah. He is an extended Silver/Wilson family member as he married Lucinda Wilson a sister to Rosanah.  Lucinda was the daughter of Edward “Big Ned” Wilson and Rachael Silver. Rachael is a sister to Rev. Jacob Silver.  He was born on November 13, 1837 and is a son of Thomas and Keziah Willis. He survived the Civil War and lived well into the next century when he died on July 30, 1907.[6]


William refers to Thomas Willis in his letter stating he has received a letter from Garrett and Rosanah through the hands of Thomas who has brought him the letter. Rhonda Gunter states Thomas Willis may be the father of William Willis.


He also refers to James H. Thomas who sends his respects to Garrett and Rosannah. James H. Thomas first served in Company I, 29th North Carolina Infantry Regiment and later transferred to Company K in August of 1864. He survived the war.[7]


Bartlett Wilson is writer of the next letter that was also published in February of 2004.  The letter was written from Washington County, Tennessee, on August 3, 1862. He was the only brother to Rosanah Wilson who married Garrett Gouge.  He was married to Susannah Gouge, sister to Garrett, Little Billy, John, Edmund et al.  He was elected corporal of Company E, North Carolina 60th and then transferred to Company K when it was formed on July 29, 1862 where he was promoted to sergeant.  He died in Virginia in the fall of 1862.


William “Little Billy” Gouge Jr., although illiterate, is the author of the next letter published in March of 2004.  Little Billy usually had Levi Deweese Silver pen his letters for him.  Little Billy was born April 15, 1828 and he was thirty four years old when he entered the Civil War.  Little Billy was a loyal writer to his parents back home and before his death in the winter of 1862/63 from complications of the measles.  He was responsible for many of the transcripts we reprinted in Silver Threads. He married Emaline “Emily” Griffin on April 21, 1853 in Yancey County, North Carolina. (Griffin is probably a corruption of Griffith who earlier settled in Yancey County).  He too first enlisted in Company E, 60th North Carolina Infantry Regiment on July 7, 1862 and transferred to Company K when it was formed in August of 1862.[8] 


Levi Deweese Silver, oldest son of Alfred Silver and Elizabeth Gouge who writes letters for Little Billy adds a page to Little Billy’s letter and he refers to a Miss Henson in his letter and asks Garrett to tell her he will see her as soon as he gets over the measles.  We do not know who Miss Henson is because Levi survived the war and married Jane Buchanan.  Levi enlisted in E Company in Mitchell County, North Carolina on June 25, 1862 at age twenty-five.  He transferred to K Company in July of 1862 and from K Company to Company F as Third Lieutenant in August of 1864. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant before he was paroled in Greensboro, North Carolina, in May of 1865. He was married on June 18, 1865 so Miss Henson was out of the picture at that time.[9] 


Cousins, this will conclude my portion of the newsletter for the Month of October.  My goodness, where has the year gone? It seems only yesterday was July and we were in Bandana celebrating our Silver Family’s 200th anniversary of existence in the mountains of North Carolina.



                                                Take care…Cousin Rex Redmon





Barbara Jo Tyndal Silver


Asheville, NC
20 August 2006

BURNSVILLE – Barbara Jo Tyndal Silver, 62, passed away Friday, August 18, 2006.

The funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday in Byrd Branch Baptist Church.

The Family will receive friends from 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday at Holcombe Brothers Funeral Home.

(I have no information at all on this lady.  Could someone help me identify her?)


Ottie R. Silver


Asheville, NC
20 August 2006

HIGHLAND SPRINGS, VA – Ottie R. Silver, 84, of Highland Springs, VA, originally of Burnsville, NC, passed away Saturday, August 19, 2006.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Rita Phillips Silver and is survived by his daughter, Lynn Hite of Mechanicsville, VA;  two sons, Gene Silver of Chesterville, VA and Darryl Silver of Suwanee, GA;  seven grandchildren, Barry, Laura and Stephen Hite, Tori Harris and Michael, Jonathan and Jeffrey Silver; great-granddaughter, Lizzie Harris;  brother, Dwight Silver of Haymarket, VA; several nieces and nephews.

Mr. Silver was a World War II Army Air Corps veteran, having served in the European Theater.

The graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Pete Young Cemetery, Burnsville.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association, Suite 130, Glen Allen, VA  23060

(George Silver Sr. > George Silver Jr. > Rev. Thomas Silver > George Washington Silver > Rev. Carl Wesley Silver > Ottie Robert Silver.)


Burgin Wallace Silver


Asheville, NC
1 September 2006

BURNSVILLE – Burgin Silver, 78, of 1117 Cane River School Road, Burnsville, passed away Wednesday, August 30, 2006, after a period of declining health.

A lifelong resident of Yancey Co., her was a son of Fred and Mae Garland Silver.  He was also preceded in death by his brothers, Junior and Leroy Silver and sister Anzalee Silver Roland.

For 34 years, Burgin was the president of Silver Brothers, an Asheville based trucking company.  Burgin was devoted to his family and greatly enjoyed traveling and hunting.  He was a member of the Cane River Baptist Church.  The memory of Burgin will be sustained by all who knew him.

Surviving are his beloved wife of 55 years, Mary Rose Pittman Silver of the home; son, Randy Silver of Greensboro;  brothers, Frank Silver and wife, Agnes, Joe Silver and wife Patricia, all of Asheville;  great-nephew, Dakota Tooter Silver of the home;  several nieces and nephews.  The family wishes to extend a special thanks to all the caregivers.

The funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the chapel of Holcombe Brothers Funeral Home.  The Reverends Ronnie Pittman, Jerry Shelton and Shane Cassida will officiate.

Burial will be in the Cane River Baptist Church Cemetery.  Pall bearers will be Freddy Boyer, Hub McIntosh, Rick Silver, Franklin Young, Guy McGraw and Danny Silver.

The family will receive friends from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.  At other times the family will be at the home at 1117 Cane River School Road.

Flowers are welcome or memorials may be made to Gideon’s International, P.O. Box 264, Burnsville, NC 28714 or the Lion’s Club, P.O. Box 94, Pisgah Forest, NC  28768.

(George Silver Sr. > George Silver Jr. > Henry Gilbert Silver > Thomas Silver > Ellis B. Silver > Fred Lee Silver > Burgin Wallace Silver.)


Bernice “Sally” Silver Birchfield Peebles


Asheville, NC
25 August 2006

CANDLER – Bernice “Sally” Silver Birchfield Peebles, 69, of 37 Fender Lane, Candler, died Wednesday, August 23, 2006, at her residence.

A native of Haywood County, Mrs. Peebles was the daughter of the late Norman Wayne and Velma Phillips Silver.  She was also preceded in death by her husband, Harold Peebles, who died in 1996.  Mrs. Peebles was a homemaker.

Mrs. Peebles is survived by her daughter, Donna Birchfield Batson and her husband Chris of Arden; son, Danny Birchfield of Candler; two sisters, Nell Inman of Waynesville and Sue Huskins of Buford, GA; brother, Dick Silver of Waynesville; three grandchildren, Nicholas Travis Davis, Amber Nicole Cheyney and Caleb Vance Gooden.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Patton Avenue chapel of Groce Funeral Home with the Reverend Gerald Sprinkle officiating.

Interment will follow in the Pisgah View Memorial Park.

No visitation is scheduled but the family will be at Mrs. Peebles’ residence at 37 Fender Lane, Candler, NC  28715.

The online register is available at Obituaries,

(George Silver Sr. > George Silver Jr. > Henry Gilbert Silver > Thomas Silver > James Marion Silver > Elijah “Elzie” Silver > Norman Wayne Silver > Bernice “Sally” Silver.)



A final note for Silver Threads readers:

David Taylor came to the church the weekend of the reunion, and he said something that really got into my heart.  As most, if not all of you know that David is not a Silver, but is a strong believer in the Silver family heritage and has been a long time family friend.  He said that as he was coming around the mountain to where both churches came into view, he felt like he was coming home and there was nothing like coming home and then tears come into his eyes.  I believe that was the sentiment of most of the family members that come up to the chruch that weekend.  I also believe that if that is lost, people will stop coming to the reunions, in that I believe that we should hold the reunions at the chruch to keep that feeling of coming home alive.

God Bless, Kay Silver, cousin and friend.

God only cries for those not at home yet, because they are so far from home.



John Silver
Genealogist & Editor
64S Fairfield Drive
Dover, DE 19901
[email protected]

Barney Kaufman
7408 Lake Drive
Manassas, VA 20111-1960
[email protected]





[1] Gouge Family Bible. TVGS-Rhonda Gunter

[2] ibid

[3] ibid

[4] History of Toe River Valley, Volume I. Publisher Lloyd Bailey.  North Carolina Troops A-Register 1861-1865. (Gunter).

[5] NCTR Vol. III. Gouge Family Bible.

[6] HTRV Vol I. Silver Family History.

[7] NCTR, Vol XIV.

[8] TVGS-Rhonda Gunter. NCTR Vol. XIV. Gouge Family Bible.

[9] ibid.