Hampton, New York
John and Chloe (Rowlson) Howe lived in Hampton, New York 1786-1793.

The following information about Hampton, New York is cited from the following sources: "Gazetteer and Business Directory of Washington County, N.Y. for 1871" compiled and published by Hamilton Child; and "Washington County New York, Its History to the Close of the Nineteenth Century" by Historian and Editor-in-chief, William L. Stone, 1901.

HAMPTON was originally called Greenfield by the early settlers, but was organized under its present name, by an act of Legislature March 3, 1786. It lies upon the east border of Washington County, New York. It is bounded on the north and east by the state of Vermont, on the west by Whitehall and on the south by Granville. A range of hills whose summits are about 500 feet above the valleys and for the most part covered with forests, extends through the central and eastern parts of the town. The principal stream is Poultney River, which forms the boundary between this town and Vermont.

"A remarkable change took place in this stream (the Poultney River) in 1783. A little above its junction with East Bay, a ridge of land crosses in a northerly direction. The river running north-westerly course, on meeting the ridge turned suddenly towards the north-east, and after keeping that course for half a mile, turned westerly, rushing down a steep ledge of rocks and forming a number of fine mill privileges. The river had for some years been observed to be making encroachments upon the ridge at the place where it turned to the north-east, and in May 1783, during a violent freshet, the river broke through the ridge and meeting with no rocks it cut a channel 100 feet deep, lowering the bed of the river for some distance above and carrying immense quantities of earth into East Bay. The bay, which was before navigable for vessels of 40 tons burden, was so completely filled for several miles that a canoe could with difficulty pass at low water, and the navigation was much obstructed at Fiddlers' Elbow, a narrow place in the lake near South Bay. The obstructions have been mostly removed by the force of the current". (Thompson's Vermont)

Hampton is made up of different patents, the northern part containing about 2,000 acres of "Skene's Little Patent" while the remainder is made up of patents granted to British officers after the French and Indian War. This patent of 9,000 acres was granted July 6, 1771. The history of the land patents indicates that army officers seem to have been able to secure grants of land more easily than other men.

The first settlers that came into Hampton were mainly from Massachusetts and Connecticut. Prominent among those from Massachusetts were Colonel Gideon Warner, Captain Benjamin C. Owen, Jason Kellogg. Leading settlers from Connecticut were Abiather Millard, Rufus Hotchkiss and Colonel Pliny Adams. Also among the early settlers of whom there is record were Ashahel Webster, William Morris, Elisha Kilborne, Enoch Wright, Samuel Waterhouse, Samuel Hooker, William Miller, Squire Samuel Beaman, Major Peter P. French, Mason Hulett and Squire Jason Kellogg. Other early settlers were Mr. Hyde and Benjamin Rice.

The first town meeting was held May 2, 1786 at the school house near the residence of Colonel Gideon Warner. The first Supervisors were Captain Lemuel Hyde (1786-87) and John Howe (1786, 1790-91, 1793). The first clerk was James Kellogg. Iron forges were started in the northern part of the town of Hampton at an early day, and powder mills were erected about 1850. Slate factories were once quite an industry in the vicinity of Hampton Corners.

Early Towns in Hampton, New York.

Hampton Corners located on the Poultney River, ten miles from Granville village and about six miles south of Fair Haven, Vermont. Solomon Norton built a grist mill and a sawmill on the Vermont side in early days. A distillery was built about the same time and Colonel Pliny Adams kept the first store.

Low Hampton situated on the Poultney River, about two miles from Fair Haven, Vermont, and about five miles above Hampton Corners, was a small settlement containing a woolen mill and a store.

Early Religious Matters in Hampton.

The names of Philip Embury and Barbara Hick are associated with the town of Hampton in religious matters. They organized a Methodist Society in the town in 1772 or 1773. William Miller, an eccentric preacher of the Baptist church, who predicted the millennium would begin about 1843, lived and died in this town, and from it, as a center, promulgated his prophesy over a large area. The Methodists of Hampton date their home organization from 1841, when they separated from the Poultney Society and organized at Hampton Corners; but the sect was in existence in Hampton as early as 1773 and a missionary was appointed to this territory in 1788. The whole country from New York City northward was one district at that time and Freeborn Barretson was the presiding elder. The Poultney meeting house was built in 1822. The Baptists and Episcopalians of Hampton worshiped at churches in Vermont.

This page was created by Susan Howe, April 29, 2000.


Links of interest:

Hampton, New York

Washington County, New York

Early Hampton Residents

John and Chloe (Rowlson) Howe's grandson, Jacob Howe lived in Granville, New York and Poultney, Vermont.

Please visit the USGenWeb for conducting genealogical research information in:
Rutland County, Vermont and Washington County, New York .