WELCOME to the Northumberland County, Ontario, Canada Discussion List. This is a discussion area for anyone who has an interest in Genealogy or History related to the Northumberland County, Ontario, Canada. My name is Ruth Hall and I'm the owner of this list. I'm responsible for keeping it running as smoothly as possible and setting some rules and guidelines.
* Please keep this message. I recommend that you keep a copy on file in
your computer as well as a printed paper copy that you can find easily.
* Read this message. Yes, I realize it is long but there is a lot of important information here.
* You may see some new terms and phrases here along with exacting instructions about sending commands etc. You will get used to it soon enough -- don't let it bother you. In order to make things work well you must follow instructions - to the letter. If you leave something out of a command or put something extra in, it won't work. This is because of the way computer programs work.
* Remember these addresses:
* If you need help, contact ME. My address is
* This list is for the discussion of Genealogy and History, primarily
regarding Northumberland County, Ontario, Canada. Discussion of
migration patterns, immigration, heraldry, historical sketches,
census data, wills, family Bibles, vital records, web sites, etc.
as relates to Northumberland County, Ontario, Canada is encouraged.
Public announcements of information of interest to Genealogists in
general though it may not be Northumberland County, Ontario,
Canada is permitted but please use discretion.
* Do not post virus warnings, test messages, chain letters, political announcements, current events, items for sale, personal messages, etc. For information on virus hoaxes and urban legends see
* Please do not send file attachments (messages with files appended) to the list. If you have a file you would like to share with the members, announce what you have to offer, then send the file only to those who request it, via private email.
* No rude comments or flaming in the list! No discussion of flaming in the list. For definitions of flaming and related information see
* Do not impose any other rules or conditions, expressed or implied elsewhere, upon this list. Rules of other forums may not necessarily apply here. Do not try to regulate this list. If you do not like the way someone formats their queries or responses, or the content of their subject titles, take it up with the listowner, NOT in the list. The list is for Genealogy and History.
****GUIDELINES***** Small gedcom files are discouraged but not banned from the list (send in a message, NOT as a file attachment) as long as the resulting message is no larger than 61440 bytes maximum.
****SUBSCRIPTIONS****Simply click on one of the lines below and send the resulting message. Do not add anything to the message. Everything is filled in for you. If you have a problem with the automatic message delete the
* To post a message (query, reply or other data) to the list, send it to
It helps to remember to put something in the "subject line". Please remember to turn off any HTML or signature cards when sending messages to the list. Here is a site with instructions on how to do that in various browsers.
****TIPS***** Accuracy is important and sources are vital. Ancestor lists are worthless if the information is wrong.
FURTHER INFORMATIONSee the following URLs for information on Genealogy lists:
RootsWeb was founded in 1996 by Dr. Brian Leverich and Karen Isaacson. Due to their foresight, expertise and financial contributions, we're all here enjoying one or many of the mailing lists and web offerings which reside here at RootsWeb. We are fortunate, indeed, to have all this genealogy at our disposal. To find out more about what else is available, go to and explore a bit. And if you are not yet a member or sponsor of RootsWeb, do consider joining. Your support added to that of many others can help sustain and nourish this wonderful resource.