Vol II File 14: The Paternal Ancestry of Homer Beers James

[Contents] [Next] [Previous] [Bottom] [Home] [Mail]


Vol II File 14: The Paternal Ancestry of Homer Beers James

22. Huntingfield Line

Ref: Wurts, pp. 84-86.

Ref: Burke, pp 293.

23. Lacy Line

Ref; Wurts, pp. 87-91.

Gautier (Walter) de Lacy was a member of a prominent Norman family from Lassy on the road from Vire to Auvray. Walter de Lacy subscribed his name to a charter of William FitzOsberne, and it appears certain that a Walter and Ibert de Lacy were at the Conquest from which it can be surmised that "cil de Laci" of Wace was meant for Walter de Lacy and that "chevalier de Lacie" was intended for Ilbert de Lacy. It is supposed that they were brothers In 1069 Walter was sent to Wales with William FitzOsberne against the people of Brecknock; subsequently he assisted Wulstan, Bishop of Worcester, and Ours d'Abetot, then Sheriff of that county, in preventing the passage of the Severn by the Earls of Hereford and Norfolk. He founded the church of St. Peter at Hereford, during the building of which he fell from a ladder and was killed in 1084. Walter married Emmelin, by whom he left three sons, Roger, Hugh, and Walter, as well as two daughters, Ermeline and Emma. Roger, his heir, possessed ninety-six lordships in 1086 (Domesday), sixty-five of which were in Gloucestershire, the balance being in Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Berkshire. He lost his estates because he conspired with Bishop Odo against William Rufus and later attached himself to Robert de Mowbray. His nephew Gilbert, by his sister Emma, became the ancestor of the Lords of Ulster, conquerors of the greatest part of Ireland. The branches of the house were so numerous that forty coats of arms were recorded. (Reference: Crispin and Macary, "Falaise Rolls").

Ref: Burke, pp. 309-311.

Ilbert de Lacy, the other De Lacy, was for his services at Senlac, rewarded by the Conqueror with the whole district of Blackburnshire in Lancashire, with 170 lordships, of which 150 were in Yorkshire. He held the town and castle of Pontefract, a great stronghold, which became his seat, the remainder was in Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire. Ilbert founded inside his fortress a collegiate chapel, dedicated to St. Clement, and also built the foundation for the abbey of St. Oswald at Nostall, completed by his eldest son and heir. He married Hawise by whom he left two sons, Robert, who succeeded him, called de Pontefract, and Hugh (Reference: Crispin and Macary, "Falaise Rolls").

These two distinguished members of this ancient family, namely Walter de Laci and Ilbert de Laci, came to England with William the Conqueror, but in what degree allied, if at all, as stated above, has not been ascertained. However, it is known that Ilbert left two sons, Robert and Hugh. Robert de Lacy, the eldest son, was known as Robert de Pontefract.

[Contents] [Next] [Previous] [Top] [Home] [Mail]