Ancestors from Norway - the Norway-L mailing list
| Index  |  Norway-L@rootsweb.com
Are you a member of the e-mail list for Norwegian genealogy? You can subscribe (and unsubscribe) to this mailing list right here! The list members of the Norway-L list share information on Norwegian-American genealogy research, requests and offers of help for genealogy, and an occasional Ole and Lena joke. The Norway-L@rootsweb.com mailing list is owned and operated by Karla Halsan Mattila. The mailing list web page is at
1. How mailing lists work Mailing lists work as follows: A "list owner" installs a listserver program (usually Majordomo) on a computer, and the listserver automatically processes the e-mail messages that it receives. Please note: there are two separate e-mail addresses for a listserver: one address to subscribe/unsubscribe, and another address to post messages to the general mailing list. If you want to subscribe to or unsubscribe from a mailing list you need to send your e-mail to the correct e-mail address!
When you send an e-mail to subscribe to a mailing list, your e-mail address is automatically put on an "electronic mailing list" maintained by the listserver program. The listserver program will then send you an e-mail message with information about the list, including how to unsubscribe from the list, how to post messages to the list, etc. You should print out a copy of this message and keep it for future reference.
Once you have subscribed to the list you can post a message to the list by sending an e-mail to the listserver, using the e-mail address for posting messages. The listserver will automatically resend your message out to all of the list members.
You can select to automatically receive the e-mails from the list as they come in (this is the default subscription method), or you can select the "Digest" mode, in which case you receive one large "digest" of e-mails every few days.
2. To subscribe to the Norway-L list
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word:
as the subject. Nothing else, just the word subscribe. Turn off any signature file that you may have. For digest mode you should send the same message to
3. To unsubscribe from the Norway-L list Send an e-mail to
email@example.com with the word:
as the subject. Nothing else, just the word unsubscribe. Turn off any signature file that you may have. To unsubscribe from the digest mode you should send the same message to
4. To post a message to the Norway-L list After you have subscribed to the list you can send messages to the listserver, and you message will automatically be sent out to all of the list members. (If you are not subscribed to the list your messages to the listserver will not be forwarded to list members). List members should use the following e-mail address to send messages to the list: Norway-L@rootsweb.com. The listserver program will automatically resend the message out to all of the list members. Please note: Do not send unsubscribe messages to this general mailing list address. Use the special subscribe/unsubscribe address!
5. Norway-List archive Rootsweb.com not only sponsors the Norway-List, but also maintains an archive of past messages that have appeared on this and other Rootsweb mailing lists. You can access the archive from the RootsWeb Mailing Lists archive. In the "Name of list" box enter the word
and then click "Submit Query". A new page will be displayed where you can search the Norway-L archive back to 1997.
Please notify me of any links that are not working
properly as well as any suggestions for additional links.
Unfortunately my schedule does not permit me to answer
individual requests for assistance with genealogy research
Copyright 1996 - 2005
This page was created June 17, 1998
Last updated on 02 November 2005