#12 1833 Fredericton
In 1833 fredericton was a town of contrasts. There were primitive pioneer cottages, large stone buildings, and many military structures. The town proper had two parallel rows of buildings along the river. There were two inns, The Golden Ball and the Royal Oak. Opposite the Golden Ball was the landing of Avery's Ferry. Here too was the home of the fur trading station owned by Peter Fraser. On Queen street was the inn where the legislature met. Near the head of Queen Street an English woman had a windmill for grinding grain.
Mail was carried by couriers on horseback once a week between Saint John and Fredericton and the postage was seven pence a letter. There was also a mail service between Fredericton and Quebec, three times a week in the summer and once a month in the winter.
On the St John River was a steamer, The John Ward which made a trip between St. John and Fredericton once a week. The steamer St. John ran across the Bay of Fundy and the Royal Oak between Saint John and Boston.
Merchants Of Fredericton 1834
The biggest industry in 1834 was the lumber industry. The firm that dominated the trade was that of Robert Rankin and Company. They supplied many operators in the province and had several government contracts as well. No far from the Rankin and Company store was the firm of Langan and Robertson who were also in the lumber business. Also in the lumber trade was Jedediah Slason. His company carried on an extensive lumbering trade in many parts of the province.
Merchants in those times kept large amounts of liquors on hand. The largest grocery store was kept by the firm of Pickard, Gaynor and Workman. There was also the store of John and James Taylor who supplied lumber related tools and general hardware items. A Mr. Clark was the town's baker at the time. Mr. Wolhaupter was a very good watchmaker and Mr. Barker was the shoemaker.
background by Cleadie / man with quill graphic by J. O'Donovan
Page mounted: 11 Sep 1999
Updated:Sunday, 01-Apr-2007 10:05:33 MDT