Raymond Paddock Gorham Collection #7


Notes on Loyalist Grantees

Group Four - - - - - - - - - - -
farms from Clifton to Kingston
Group Five - - - - - - - - - - -
farms from Clifton South along the Kennecassis
Group Six - - - - - - - - - - - -
along the Long Reach. North from Williams Wharf
  1: William Jewel Flewelling
  2: James Wetmore
  3: > David Brown Wetmore
  4: > as above
  5: Edmond Welch
  6: Isaac Bunnel
  7: John Gamut
8:  Justus Sherwood Wetmore
  9: Thomas Pettingill
10: Edward Barlow
11: James Pickett
12: Joseph Ferris
13: William Eratt
14: Jedediah Knash
15: Thomas Fowler
16: Leonard Lickner
17: > George Younghusband
18: > as above
19: John Gidney
20: Ezekiel Flewelling
21: Jacob Lester


  1: Samuel Keirstead
  2: James Codner & 
      Ephriam DeForest
  3: Edward Carey
  4: Matthew Taylor
  5: Jeremiah Travers & 
       Henry Hyler
  6: Henry Holam
  7: Stephen Gilford & 
      William Straight
  8: James Adams & 
      John McGill
  9: Robert Peel
10: Eupheme Harned
11: Archibald Gilles
12: John Briggs
13: Ann Alston & 
      Jane Sutherland
14: Peter McLean
15: John Sharp
16: Wm. Wright
17: Isaac Dunham
18: Elizabeth Traverse
19: Andrew Bowman
20: Patrick Weldon & 
      Jonathan Conrad
21: Thomas & David Dunham
22: Charles Cater
23: James Casted
24: Sam'l. Wiggins
25: Thomas Barlow
26: Conrad Wort
27: Stephen Baxter
 Westfield Parish line ---
  1: Joel Crawford
  2: Jasper Bilding
  3: Thomas Walten
      John Williams
  4: Anthony Baker
  5: Samuel Mallows
  6: John Fowler
  7: Stephen Robbon
      James Ritchie
  8: Joseph Lyon
  9: Ruth Nichols
10: James Crawford
11: John White
12: James Cole
      James Crawford, Jr
13: Tyler White Raymond
14: Robert Logan
15: Seth Sealey
16: James Moore
17: Easter Bradley
18: Andrew Patchin
19: Martin Trecartin
20: Isaac Bostwick
21: Ralph London
22: Sylvanus Whitney
23: Joseph Begar
24: Timothy Peck
25: Nathaniel Gorham
26: Walter Dibblee
27: William Dibblee
28: Ephriam Lane
29: Henry Finch
30: John Lyon, Jr.
31: George Lyon, Jr.
32: John Mewin
The end of the bluff, John Crabbe

Group Four
1: William Jewel Flewelling (p.67 +)

    William Jewell Flewelling 1790-1872, s/o Enos Flewelling who was the s/o Thomas and grand s/o John. The family is of Welch descent. He m. Elizabeth Wetmore and had a family of eight children. The farm is now owned by Norman and Ellsworth Puddington.

2: James Wetmore (p.67 +)

    James Wetmore was a s/o Daniel B. Wetmore, grantee of lot no. 3, and [...] his grant through his father. Followed farming all his life, was a Free Mason and [cor...]. He married Phebe Wetmore, d/o Izrahiah Wetmore of New York and had nine children. The farm is now owned by Warren Cronk.

3: & 4: David Brown Wetmore (p.67 +)

    A native of New York state and Loyalist settler in NB. He was for many years a member of the House of Assembly for Kings County and a Judge of Common Pleas. He died at Norton in 1845, aged eighty-two having many descendants. (Sabine)

    David Brown Wetmore. The notes of R.W. Wetmore on Clifron families published in 1912 add the information that David Brown Wetmore was the s/o Rev. James Wetmore, of English descent, and that he was 19 years of age when he came from New York in 1783. He lived first at Hammond River and was later granted lots 3 & 4 at Clifton, and later acquired Lots no. 1 & 2, 5,6 & 7. He lived at Clifton until 1820 when he moved to Norton. He was twice married. 1st, Ruth Sherwood, and 2nd, Elizabeth Whitney, and had fifteen children. One moving to Norton he disposed of the farm losts as follows: ---
         Lot No. 1           to his daughter, Elizabeth (Mrs. Wm. Jewell Flewelling)
         Lot No. 2           to his son James Wetmore
         Lots No. 3,4,5   to his son Justus G. Wetmore, who was also grantee of lot no.8
         Lot No. 6           to his son David Wetmore
         Lot No. 7           to the family of [Wm/Mrs?] Puddington for the benefit of their mother, his sister Esther.

    The son, Justus Sherwood Wetmore was a ship builder and businessman who took an active part in the life of the county in the early days. Gesner spoke of him as the proprietor of the Spear Island Grant quaries and also mentions that the stone for the Kingston Court House and goal were cut there. He opened a saw mill at Moss Glen, was archetict and builder of Gandola Point Church, was major of militia, Justice of the Peace, a Free Mason and an ardent Temprance Worker. The Temprance Hall in Kingston was built by him.
    He married Esther Wetmore, daughter of Izikiah, son od James and had three children:
     1: Rev. David J. Wetmore (see lot no. 5)

    Lots 3 and 4 are now occupied by O.W. Wetmore.

5: Edmond Welch (p.67 +)

 No information.

    The lot was later held by D.S. Wetmore and was transfered by him to his son, Justus S. Wetmore and later to his son, Rev. David J. Wetmore.
    David J. Wetmore was ordained in 1848, and had a mission to Welsford for two years. He taught in the Kingston Grammar School 1859-61. Was assistant to the rector of Kingston for many years, was an engraver and printer also, and operated a printing press at Clifton. Married Harriett M. Wetmore, daughter of Timothy Robert Wetmore of Gagetown and had three children.  The farm is now owned by A.H. Flewelling

6: Isaac Bunnel (p.67 +)

 A member of the Reading, Conn. Loyalist Association.

    No information has been found regarding Isaac Bunnell. The lot was occupied by David B. Wetmore, grantee of lot No. 3, and passed from him to his son David. He (David) was a farmer and one of the earliest growers of strawberries in the region. He married Eliza Whelpley d/o Richard Whelpley of Long Reach, and had sixteen children.
    The farm is now owned by Wm. Sheddich.

7: John Gamut (p.67 +)

    No information has been found regarding this grantee. The name Gambel may be a form of it, and families of that name live near Sumerville at the lower end of the peninsula.
    James W. Puddington, 1798-1860, s/o William Puddington lived on the lot. He sold the part west of the road to W.P. Flewelling and built his house on the front part, the place now occupied by Gilbert Wetmore. He married Elizabeth Wetmore, d/o Izrahiah Wetmore of New York and had no family.

8: Justus Sherwood Wetmore  (p.67 +)

 (Original Note: No information, except there are many descendants.)

    Justus Sherwood Wetmore was the son of David Brown Wetmore, grantee of lots no. 3 & 4. He suceeded his father on those lots and No. 8 passed to Joseph Flewelling (1792-1847) s/o Enos, s/o Thomas, s/o John. Joseph Flewelling m. Mary Puddington d/o Wm. Puddington and built his home on the part of the lot now owned by M. Wright Flewelling. He was a farmer and shipbuilder as were many of the other Clifton people of his generation. His children numbered nine.
    Part of the lot was given to his son William P. Flewelling (1814-1875) who built his house upon it, and the place now occupied by R.W. Wetmore.  Another son, J. Edward Flewelling (1816-1901) had a part of lot no. 8, and built the house now occupied by Chas. E. Puddington. He m. Deborah Flewelling, d/o John, s/o Enos, s/o Thomas. The children numbered four. J. Edward Flewelling was a ship carpenter and farmer.

    Robert J. Flewelling (1823-1910) s/o John, s/o Enos, s/o Thomas acquired a lot on front of No. 8 and built the house now owned by A.P. Wetmore. He was a farmer and carpenter, and was twice married. 1st, Susannah Flewelling, d/o Joseph, and 2nd, [Louisa] Foster, d/o Henry?

9: Thomas Pettingill (p.67 +)

    No record has been found of Thomas Pettingill at Clifton. The name still remains in the County. The lot was later owned by William P. Flewelling (1814-1875) who built his house on part of lot no. 8.  He m. 1st. Susannah Wetmore, d/o James W. Carleton, 2nd. Esther Ann Merritt, d/o Gabriel Merrit of New York, 3rd. Rachael Whelply, d/o Richard Whelply of Long Reach.  Had nine children.  He was a ship builder and bought the front part of lot no. 6 for a shipyard and operated a sawmill and store, was member of the Legislature and later of the Executive Council as Surveyor General.

    George T. Flewelling (1816-1874) s/o John, bought a strip of land on the rear of lot no. 9, where he built and lived. He married Mary E. Flewelling, d/o Thomas A. and had four children. The land is now owned by Chas. E. Puddington.

    Patrick Harrity (1814-1895) bought part of lot no. 9 and built the house now occupied by Mrs. Buckley. He was a "[bale borerer] in the shipyard". He married Rebecca Nesbit and had eight children.

10: Edward Barlow/Ballow (p.68)

 No information.

11: James Pickett (p.68)

    A native of Norwell and a passenger with his wife and two children on the ship UNION in 1783. Settled in St. John and died in Portland in 1812.

12: Joseph Ferris (p.68)

 Joseph Ferris was a native of Stamford, Conn. During the war he raised a company of men and joined forces under Colonel Butler, becoming a captain in the Rangers. He was once made prisoner by a rebel force which was under the command of his brother-in-law. He later escaped. Later he went to Newfoundland but returned to settle in New Brunswick. As a half-pay officer he travelled considerably and we read that he was fond of visiting the United States and that he sometimes met those whom he had opposed in skirmishes and battles. After Eastport was captured by the British in the war of 1812 he went there to live but returned to New Brunswick on its surrender to the US. He died at Judson Island in 1836 aged ninety-two having been a half pay officer fifty-three years. (Sabine)

 (See notes on Kingston Mill.)

13: William Eratt (p.68)

No information

14: Jedediah Knash (p.68)

No Information.

15: Thomas Fowler (p.68 +)

    Of Westchester County, New York, signer of a declaration of loyality in 1776. A John Fowler of Mass, with wife and two children were on the ship UNION in 1783.
    "The petition of Thomas Fowler, Jan 21 1785 - Humbly Sheweth / That Your Excellency's petitioner begs leave as he is now seated on the Portage on the [Cannabicasis] that he may be permitted the liberty of a ferry from said portage to Gundolow Point, or where the road may come out, as the said Fowler's Point is the most expedient for a ferry of any in that part for many miles."
    Read in council Jan 21, 1785 / Ordered: That the petitioner may keep a ferry for accomodation of such persons as may be willing to employ him. / (signed) Carleton

16: Leonard Lickner (p.68)

 No information. A similar name, that of Leonard Linkner appears among the grantees of Oak Point.

17: & 18: George Younghusband (p.68)

 George Younghusband was a grantee of land in St. John and probably never lived upon his Kingston grant. His name appears as one of those who signed a petition of protest against the election in 1786 of Jonathan Bliss, Ward Chipman as members of the first Legislature Assembly of the Province. He was a member of the Loyal Artillery Co. in 1795, an alserman of the city in 1803, one of the subscribers to the Coffee House Subscription Room in 1809 and later a member of the Legislature.

 (see also KINGSTON.B file)

19: John Gidney  (p.69)

    An inhabitant of Westchester Co., NY and one who protested against the American Congress at White Plains, NY. No additional information found.

(added) The family appears to have located in the Parish of sussex for a deed of 1812 names John and Margaret Gidney. [unclear item: The man .... .... in Yarmouth, NS.]

20: Ezekiel Flewelling (p.69)

No information

21: Jacob Lester (p.69)

 No information.

    On March 31 in the 43 years of the rule of George III an inquest was held on the body of Benjamin Lester found dead near the Public Ferry, known as Sickle's Ferry on March 30. Verdict: That he was drowned by driving into the waters of the river on Feb 6, last past. Walter Bates, Corner.

Group Five

1: Samuel Keirstead
2: James Codner & Ephriam DeForest
3: Edward Carey
4: Matthew Taylor
5: Jeremiah Travers & Henry Hyler
6: Henry Holam
7: Stephen Gilford & William Straight
8: James Adams & John McGill
9: Robert Peel
10: Eupheme Harned
11: Archibald Gilles
12: John Briggs
13: Ann Alston & Jane Sutherland
14: Peter McLean
15: John Sharp
16: Wm. Wright
17: Isaac Dunham
18: Elizabeth Traverse
19: Andrew Bowman
20: Patrick Weldon & Jonathan Conrad
21: Thomas & David Dunham
22: Charles Cater
23: James Casted
24: Sam'l. Wiggins
25: Thomas Barlow
26: Conrad Wort
27: Stephen Baxter
 Westfield Parish line ---

Group Six

1: Joel Crawford (p.50)

 Lot no. 1 South East side of Long Reach was escheated [...] and sold to Samuel Sharp for $51.

2: Jasper Belding (p.50)

 No information.

3: Thomas Walten & John Williams  (p.50)

    A John Williams was Inspector General of the customs at Boston before the Revolution.  When Hancock's sloop was seized in 1768 the mob broke several windows in his house which was near Boston Common.  A John Williams of Westchester, C.N.Y. was a protestor in 1775.  Sabine.

4: Anthony Baker / Anthony Baxter (p.50)

No information.

A Simon Baxter of New Hampshire was a grantee in Kings County and died at the Norton in 1804, aged 74.  His widow, Prudence, died the same year aged 73.  Of this man we read in Sabine's History that he was proscribed and banished and his estate seized.  Later he fell into the hands of a party of rebels and was condemned to be hanged.  When brought out for execution he broke away from the guards and fled to the woods with a rope around his neck, succeeding in making his escape to General Burgoyne's army.

Simon Baxter and [...], Also Abraham Baxter and wife.

Elijah Baxter of Kingston Parish was signer of address for better schools in 1802.

5: Samuel Mallows (p.50)

 No information.

6: John Fowler  (p.51)

    John Fowler of Massachusetts with his wife and two children were passengers on the ship Union to St. John in 1783.  In 1887 he appeared before the Loyalist Claims Commission and gave the following evidence:

    Before the Revolution he was a farmer at Stockbridge Massachusetts.  He was a native of Guilford, Connecticut, but had purchased seventy five acres of wild land at Stockbridge, built a house and barn and cleared some twenty-five
acres when the war broke out.  He was a son-in-law of John Whelpley who also came to New Brunswick.  He was outspoken in declaring his British opinion at a town meeting and in consequence was soon after drafted into the state militia. Rather than fight against his country he fled to the British lines at New York and remained there until the close of the war.  During this period he rented a farm on Long Island and supported himself and family by growing food for the
British residents in New York City.  While returning from New York to Eaton's Neck, Long Island, on one occasion he fell in with a raiding party of the state forces, was wounded, had one arm broken and was made prisoner.  He was carried to Stamford, Connecticut and lodged in gaol where he suffered considerable ill usage.  He at length got away, and in April 1783, came to St. John.  He lived for a time near the falls in St. John, and on August 11th, 1783, received his grant of land and moved to Long Reach.  His losses in the war he estimated as follows: Seventy-five acres of land at Stockbridge, purchased for 55 pounds in a wild state, with improvements of 25 acres cleared, house and barn valued at the beginning of the Revolutionary War at 3 pounds per acre, a total of 225 pounds.  He produced before the Loyalists Claims Commission a certificate showing that such lands had been declared forfeit to the State of Massachusetts.  He lost also one negro, Peter, seized by the state forces and set free, one pair of oxen, two cows, two horses, 15 sheep, furniture and farming utensils.

7: Stephen Robbon & James Ritchie (p.51)

    Seven persons named Robbins of Queens Co. N.Y. acknowledged British allegiance in Oct. 1776, John, Jacob, Jeremiah, Isaac, John Jr. and Stephen. Of James Ritchie no information has been found but it is probable that he was a member of the Massachusetts family of that name.

    An old deed dated Sept. 10, 1795, now in possession of Mrs. Mary Hoyt, records the sale of the nortern half of lot no. 7 by Thomas Richards, Joseph Brittain and Elizabeth Brittain to John Brown.  The lot is described as bounded on the north east by lands granted Joseph Lyon, and on the south west by lands of Titus Brown.  From this it would appear that Titus Brown had already purchased part of the lot.  John Brown was possibly a son or brother.

8: Joseph Lyon  (p.52-53)

Joseph Lyon appeared before the Loyalist Claims Commission in St. John on January 18, 1787 and gave under oath the following evidence:

    That in 1775 he lived in Fairfield, Conn., that he left New York in April 1783 and came to this province.  In August he went to Kingston, 22 miles up the river where he has since lived at a place six miles from the winter road.

    In February he was one who signed a protest against the proceedings of Congress and pledged himself to oppose such proceedings.  For the Commissioners he produced a printed advertisement containing the names of all persons residing in Fairfield who did not sign an association in favor of the Acts of Congress and were in consequence voted enemies of America.  The name of Joseph Lyon appeared on this.  Witness said he always remained equally firm in his allegiance to Great Britain and was in consequence much persecuted and obliged to hide in the woods.  He had no opportunity to join the British Army until General Tryon's expedition to Danburgh, in 1777 when he joined and has been with the British ever since.  He served in the Associated Loyalists.
John Lyon - Witness 150 acres of land in Reading and Fairfield acquired by purchase at different times.  For the court he produced a deed dated Jan. 23, 1762 from Henry Lyon to Joseph Lyon conveying 30 acres in Fairfield for a consideration of 95 pounds, lawful.

Another deed dated Feb. 22, 1765 from Peter Lyon to claimant conveying 60 acres of land for 60 pounds.  This was a swap with his brother and consideration was nominal.

Another deed dated Nov. 11, 1762 from Hoziah and Isaac Asborne to claimant conveying 15 acres, 45 roods of land in Fairfield and Reading to claimant for 21.15 pounds lawful.

Another deed dated Feb. 22 1765 from Peter to Joseph Lyon conveying 8 acres more or less for a consideration of 24 pounds.

Another deed from David Whitcock dated March 24, 1758 conveys 13 1/4 acres in consideration of 59 pounds, 2 shillings.

Another deed dated March 4, 1773 from Peter Lyon conveys 15 acres in consideration of 32 pounds, 10 shillings lawful.

By will from his father he had in 1750 3- acres of wood land upon which had lived 16 years and made considerable improvements.  He had made an addition to the house which cost him 100 pounds lawful.  He thought he could have sold this in 1775 for 5 pounds sterling per acre.

Re. the purchase from Daniel Whitcock he had enclosed and improved this after purchase and thought he could have sold it in 1774 for 74 pounds, lawful.

For the commissioners he produced a newspaper wherein the valuable farm of Joseph Lyon, confiscated is advertised for sale, containing about one hundred and twenty acres.  He understood that it was in consequence sold. Implements of husbandry 75 pounds sterling; 4 horses, 7 cows, 12 sheep, 9 cattle.  The rest of his stock was taken by some people who had no right. It appears that some 224 pounds lawful and some necessaries were given his wife for her support.

Witness Ephraim DeForest sworn.  Witness said he knew the claimant in 1775.  He was always considered a warm friend to Great Britian.  He refused to sign the Association with the rebels and was in consequence much persecuted. Witness lay in the woods with him for 33 days and he had seen claimant very ill treated by the mob.  He built a cave in the woods for shelter for persecuted Loyalists.  He knew the claimant's property, he understood about 200 acres. The land was good and he thought it could have sold for 1500 pounds lawful or 7 pounds per acre. The farm was well stocked.

Witness John Lyon - Witness stated he was a brother of the claimant, he was possessed of a good farm which he thought could have been sold for 1500 pounds lawful currency.  He does not know what became of it.

    From the evidence we note that Joseph, John and Peter Lyon were brothers.  The full genealogy has not been worked out, see note on John Lyon, farm Lot No. 5, Kingston Creek, also Hoyt and Paddock genalogy.

9: Ruth Nichols (p.53)

 Widow Ruth Nichols of Newport, Rhode Island arrived at St. John with her two children, one under ten years of age, on the ship Union, in 1783. (Sabine's History)

    The farm is now owned by Charles Nichols, a descendant.

10: James Crawford (pp.54-55)

The Crawford Willows on the Smith Farm.

Note from Harry S. Smith, Feb. 1927.
    Tradition has it that Crawford, grantee of the farm, visited relatives up the [...] on one occasion, [...] his wife travelling on horseback.  On return they had with them willow switches cut from [...].  These they planted one on either side of the brook flowing by the house.  In course of time they grew into very large trees.  The one on the south side of the brook was broken down and had to be cut some thirty years ago.  The second tree was cut in 1926 as its branches menaced the house.  The stump still remains and is more than [...] feet in diameter.

    Sam Nichols lived in the Smith Farm at one time.  [...] lived on it at one time.

    James Crawford was a farmer at North Castle, Westchester County, New York, where he had inherited a farm from his father, James Crawford.  Before the Loyalist Claims Commissioners in 1787 he produced the record of his father's will giving to the elder son, Robert Crawford, 57 acres, to Archibald Crawford 57 acres, to John Crawford 40 acres and the balance with buildings to James.  This was sworn to as consisting of about 80 acres, 7 acres of which was meadow, 10 acres wood lot, and the remainder plow land.  The house was two stories, and of wood.  The value of the farm including buildings, 10 pounds per acre or 800 pounds.  The stock lost consisted of one pair of oxen, three horses, eight young cattle and twenty-four sheep.

    One Titus Brown bare witness that James Crawford joined the Guides and Pioneers forces of the British army and that his property was seized and sold by the State to one John Haynes.  This would appear to be that James Crawford, senior, who drew lot No. 10.  The James Crawford, Jr. who drew Lot No. 12, Long Reach may have been his son.

The farm is now owned by [...] Smith.

11: John White (p.55)

    Of John White we have found little information.  He was a witness for Silas Raymond before the Loyalist Claims Commission in 1787, regarding property values in Norwalk, Conn., so it is probable that he was a resident of that township before the Revolution.  Sabine's History mentions that he lived on his New Brunswick farm for fifty-five years.  He died in 1838 at the great age of ninety-six.  The White family in New Brunswick has been noted for house carpentry, and from the mention in New England Histories it would seem to have been a family trade for several generations.  There were many Whites among the Loyalists.  We read of one, a joiner also, who was so outspoken regarding his British sympathies that he was summarily hanged by a New York mob to a tavern sign post at the corner of Cherry and Roosevelt Streets in 1776.  Whites still live on lot No. 11, Long Reach., sons of James White.

12: James Cole & James Crawford, Jr (p.55)

Nothing has been found regarding either of these men.  The Cole family lived in Queen's County, New York and this man was very likely a member. James Crawford, Jr. was probably the ancestor of the present Crawford family.

13: Tyler White Raymond (p.56)

    Tyler White Raymond, grantee of Lot No. 13, does not appear to have settled on it at any time.  There seems a possibility that the White Raymond who in 1800 became manager of the coffee house in St. John was the same man.
In the collections of the New Brunswick Historical Society, No. 7, page 64, mention is made that White Raymond was a brother of Stent Raymond of Hampton. In Sabine's history of the Loyalists we find mention that White Raymond of Norwalk, Connecticut, who went to New Brunswick at the Peace, was deceased in 1835, at the age of 76 and buried at Hampton.  From Mr. George Raymond of Norton we have a note that a White Raymond was grantee of land at Petersville.

14: Robert Logan (possibly Robert Lyon?) (p.56)

 No information.  The farm probably passed to the Rogers family at an early date.  [...]

15: Seth Sealey/Sealy/Seeley (pp. 56-57 +)

    Seth Sealy and Seth Jr., farmers of Stamford, Connecticut arrived in St. John in 1783 on the ship Union, the former accompanied by his wife and six children, three of whom were under ten years of age.  Lot No. 389 in Parr Town was granted to one Seth Sealy that year and farm Lot No. 15 on Long Reach the following year.

    Seth Sealy was the second overseer of the poor in Kingston Parish of whom we have found record.  That some individuals were buried at the expense of the parish at an early date we find record of in the following bill of 1797:

    The Parish of Kingston debtor to Seth Sealy
    To cash for making a coffin  0, 5, 0
      "   "       "      "                    0, 5, 0
   To one pound of candles      0, 0, 10
   To one pound of rosin          0, 1, 0
                                              0,11, 10

    In 1801 the court records of Kingston show the appointment of Seth Sealy to act as overseer of the poor from Feb. 1801 to Feb 1802, also that he was paid for fifty weeks board, the Widow Sealy at 6/0 per week, 15 pounds, 0, 0. Who this widow Sealy was is not clear, but several records for her board are entered on the books.  In 1804, Titus Brown presented a bill for 32 weeks board and nursing the Widow Sealy at

 4 shillings per week   7, 17, 4
 2 lbs. snuff                      6, 0
 1 pair of shoes                9, 0
 5 1/2 yds. flannel      1,   2, 0
                                 9, 24, 4

    The court ordered that the allowance for snuff should not be presented in future.

    In the History of Stamford we note that Seth Seely, Jr. who went to N.B. was active as a privateer in the war of 1812.

    On the list of men eligible for Grand Jury service in 1800 we find the names of Seth, Thomas & Hiram Seely.  In 1809, Thomas Seely was granted a Tavern Keeper's license by the court, Gilbert Purdy and John Lyon being his surities.  The Walling Map of King's County, 1862 notes I. Seely and William Seely residents on the Seely farm at that time.  John Seely, unmarried, is on the farm in 1924 with his aged parents.  William Seely father of Alfred Seely.

 Advertisement in the St. John Gazette, June 23, 1797:
For New York / The Schnooner Hopewell, / Seth Sealey, Master. / Has good accommodation for passengers and will / positively sail on Thursday next if weather permits.

 Advertisement in the St. John Gazette, Sept. 15, 1797:
Point Pleasant Farm, Long Reach. / Thomas Sealey
          Begs to acquaint his friends and the public that he has lately opened a house of Entertainment on the Long Reach about 18 miles from town, under the name of Point Pleasant Inn, where travellers may be accommodated with comfortable refreshments on the shortest notice.  He has laid in a stock of the best Wines, spiritous liquors and etc. for the purpose.
N.B.:  Said Sealey has for sale a few puncheons of High Proof Jamaica Spirits of excellent flavor and a good assortment of groceries well laid in and suitable for the country, which will be sold cheap for cash. / Sept. 15, 1797.

16: James Moore  (p.57)

    James Moore of Queen's County, N.Y. was one of a number of Moores who acknowledged British allegiance in 1776.  [...]

17: Easter Bradley (p.57)

    Widow Easter Bradley with her small children was a grantee in 1784. Possibly the widow of William Bradley of Reading, Conn., who was a member of the Loyalist Association at that place.  The farm is now occupied by Hamlin and Robert Bradley, the former with a large family.

18: Andrew Patchin (p.57)

    Andrew and Ansel Patchin were members of the Reading Loyalist Association.  Of his New Brunswick history nothing has been found with the exception of the fact that he appeared before the Loyalist Claims Commission in 1787 as a witness for Joseph Dickson.  Dickson was a native of Fairfield Conn., so it is probable that Patchin was a former resident there.

    The place name Andrew's Point remains attached to a point of land projecting into Gorham's Creek, part of the farm now owned by Edgar Shamper, who had it from his father, Captain William Shamper, who at a still earlier date purchased it from one Fred Crawford.  The cellar of an old house and brick of a fireplace can be seen, now grown over with large trees.  Popular legend has it that a man named Andrew or Andrews once lived there and made his living by fishing and trapping, also that he was drowned through the ice.  It is possible that this may have been Andrew Patchin. The name of Andrew is not found elsewhere in the region except in the case of Andrew Shamper, father of Captain William and Adino Shamper who lived within quite modern times.

    The memorial of Andrew Patchin, dated 1785, asked for land grants between the Kennebecassis and Belleisle for his sons John and Joseph Patchin, is found in the Dominion Archives.

19: Martin/Marten Trecartin  (p.58)

    Marten Trecartin, carpenter, and his wife, of Duchess Co., New York were passengers on the ship Union in 1783.  In addition to lot No. 19 on the eastern side of Long Reach, Marten Trecartin was grantee of Lot No. 15 almost directly opposite at Oak Point and of town Lot. 1112 on St. James St., St. John.  He was active in the organizing of the Anglican Church at Oak Point and was one of the first vestrymen, but afterwards seems to have moved away from the parish, for no further record of him has been found.  There are Trecartins in St. John who may be descendants.  Israel Hoyt's diary under date of Feb. 3, 1786 mentions a visit from Trecartin.

20: Isaac Bostwick (pp. 58-59)

    David and Isaac Bostwick were grantees of town lots in Parr Town in 1783, that of Isaac being No. 1313.

    In the early history of the Bostwick family two forms of spelling are found, Bostwick and Bostock. Both forms are now represented in Canada. It seems probable that both are derived from a common ancestor, one Arthur Bostock who settled on Long Island in 1643. Isaac Bostwick who settled on lot No. 20 in the parish of Kingston is mentioned in one of the New England records as having been born in the Southern States on May 27, 1760, and to have married in New Jersey at the close of the Revolutionary War, Tamson Cable, November 18, 1782. In the evidence before the Loyalist Claims Commission in the case of Samuel Miles, mention is made of the claimant's property in New Milford, Connecticut, having been appraised by Isaac Bostwick and Noble Hine, and a copy of that appraisement was presented to the Commission. This would indicate that Isaac Bostwick was probably a resident in Connecticut at the time of the exodus of the United Empire Loyalists.  In 1783, he came to the present St. John landing, as we find record on the 17th of May. Later obtaining his grant of land on the Long Reach and settling there with his bride on the farm which his descendants still held. A daughter, Mary Bostwick, was born to them in October, 1783, who must have been one of the first children of the Kingston Colony.  Other children were:

  • Mary Bostwick, was born to them in October, 1783
  • Hanford Bostwick,  born September, 1785
  • Hannah "   "    "     1787
  • Sarah & Clarissa,  twins born October 23, 1789
  • Thomas Bostwick,   born January 1793
  • Jared Bostwick  " " 1794
  • Ann Bostwick  "   February 1797
  • Hiram   "
  • Jane    "     1800
  • Isaac Bostwick died at Kingston in 1808, and his wife six years later, in 1814.

    More particulars of Isaac Bostwick's children are available as follows:

     Hanford Bostwick married Mary Seely, November 1822
     Sarah  " "  Nathaniel Gorham
     Clarisa " "  Daniel Crawford
     Thomas " "  Harriet Battfaine
     Jared  " "  Mary Adams
     Anne  " "  George Prince
    Jared Bostwick, son of Isaac Bostwick lived in the Kingston District and reared a large family as follows:
  •  Isaac S. Bostwick  born December 1829
  •  Eliza  "  " May 27 1832
  •  Charles Merritt "  "   1833
  •  Daniel Hiram  " November 1835
  •  John Neville  " December 1836
  •  Margaret Jane  " October 1839, married W. Fowler
  •  Thomas Bradford  " December 1842
  •  James Jared   " June 11 1844
  •  Martha Adams  " Jun 1848, married Hiram Fowler
  • Jared Bostwick died at Kingston, December 4, 1857, his wife Dec 16, 1851.

    Charles Merritt Bostwick, son of Jared and Mary (Adams) Bostwick, was brought up on his father's farm in Kingston. Later he went to St. John and entered a mercantile establishment as clerk. In 1865 he opened a business house of his own on Water Street where he conducted for years a wholesale grocery business. He also became an extensive lumber dealer and real estate owner. Among his properties may be mentioned the Dufferin Hotel, (being torn down this year, Feb. 1924). He was married August 6, 1867 to Mary O'Donnell of Amherst, Nova Scotia. The children of Charles Merritt Bostwick are as follows:

  • Charles Merritt Bostwick, Jr., born March 23, 1870, educated in Germany and later associated with his father in business.
  • Elizabeth Bostwick, born May 7, 1872. She was taken ill while on her way to school in Toronto and died Jan. 1890.
  • Guy O'Donnell Bostwick, born June 1879, educated at Rothesay Collegiate and now in business in St. John.
  • Alan Bostwick and his son Chesley now occupy the Bostwick farm (1924).
  • Chesley married Vida, daughter of George McDougall of Long Reach. Myrtle Bostwick, daughter of Alan married Roy Wetmore of Perry Point.
    Word was received in the city Sunday that the death of Joseph Hiram Bostwick occurred in Montreal on Jan 23 after a short illness.  Mr. Bostwick had spent most of his life in Kingston, N.B., and the funeral service will be held in Trinity church there, where he was a member for many years, on Tuesday afternoon at 3:30. Interment will be made in the churchyard besides his wife, formerly Jean Sheldrick, who died in 1911.
        He was the son of Hiram Bostwick and Mary A. Richards, and was born at Grey's Mill, Kings county, January 28, 1844.
     Mr. Bostwick is survived by one son, Robert R., of Montreal, one brother, L.A. Bostwick, Grey's Mill, and one grandson, D. Irvine Watters, Saint John.

    21: Ralph London

     No information can be found on this man.

        In the Dominion Archives is found the petition of Isaac Bostwick, dated 1802, asking for lot no. 21, [Houser's] first Survey. The petition stated that the lot adjoins the one granted him, is wholly unoccupied, unimproved and not cleared by any person. He offers to bear the coat of escheating the lot if it will be granted to him.
        The parcel Bostwick farm is [...] and probably includes the two lots No. 20 & 21.

    22: Sylvanus Whitney (pp. 60-61)

        Sylvanus Whitney was a native of Stanford, Conn. and possibly a grocer if one can judge from his dealings in tea, an article of commerce regarding which the feelings of New Englanders ran high during the first part of the revolutionary period. In Huntingdons history of Stanford County we find the following interesting account of Sylvanus Whitney's adventures with his townsmen on the tea question. Clippings from a Stanford paper.

     "It appears that through mainly ready for any personal sacrifice which the struggle might call for, there was one among them whose gree outweighed his patriotism, Sylvanus Whitney, more thrifty than patriotic, ventured to traffic in contraband goods, he thought he knew when it would be a money-making thing to dispose of tea for a good price and he supplied himself. His friends or his traffic betrayed him and he was summoned to answer to his townsmen for his treasonable practice. Under the presure of the moral force used on the occasion Mr. Whitney submitted himself and his [tea] to their disposal.

     "Whereas I, the subscriber, have been guilty of buying and selling Bonea tea since the First of March (1775), last past, whereby I have been guilty of a breach of the association entered into by the continental congress, and sensible of my misconduct, do in this public manner confess my crime and humbly request the favor of the public to overlook this my transgression, promising for the future to conduct myself as a true friend to my country. And in testimony of my sincarity, I do no[w] deliver up the tea I have on hand unto the said committee of inspection, to be by them committed to flames.
     (signed) SILVANUS WHITNEY."

     "On this confession and pledge the committee released the arrested culprit from further prosecution, but proceeded to arrange for the evening entertainment which had been already announced. About 8 o'clock in the evening, a gallows was erected in the middle of the street, opposite Webb's tavern. A large concourse of people collected and were joined by a number of soldiers quartered in the town. A grand procession soon began to move. First, a large guard under arms, headed by two captains who led the van, while the unfornate tea hung across the pole sistained by two unarmed soldiers. Second, followed the committee of inspection, and third the spectators who came to see the great sight. After parading through the principal strees with drums beating and fifes playing a most doleful sound, they came to the gallows where
    the common hangman soon preformed his office to the general satisfaction of the spectators. It was thought dangerous to leave the tea hanging all night for fear of an invasion on by our tea lovers. A large bonfire was made under it, which soon reduced it to ashes. After giving three loud hurras, the people dispersed to their homes without any bad consequences attending. The owner of the aforesaid tea attended during the execution and behaved himself as well as could be expected on the occasion."

        At the close of the Revolution, Sylvanus Whitney was forced to flee to Connecticut, because of his allegiance to the King. We find on the record that in 1783 he was in command of a party of loyalist on the vessel "TWO SISTERS" sailing from Staten Island to Parr Town, now St. John, arriving there on June 28. The party consisted of 42 men, 27 women, 87 children and 12 servants. In Parr Town he received the grant of lot No. 387, on the north side of Kings St. east. It is possible he was burnt out of his first house during the forest fire which swept that section of the town site the following year and that he then moved to Long Reach, as did other Loyalist. He received the grant of farm lot. No. 22, in what is now the postal sistrict of Grey's Mills, 1784. Whether or not he lived there for any lenght of time we do not know. The farm has been in the possession of the Dunham family for a long periond and there appears to be no records of the Whitney family in the district. In later years we read of him as a Magistrate and Alderman of St. John. His wife died in 1808, later he married Sarah, widow of Abraham Wetmore. They died in Carleton, she in 1818 and he in 1827.
     Sylvanus Whitney a S.P.G. schoolmaster in Carleton in 1818, was probably a son.

    23: Joseph Begar (p. 61)

    No information found.

    24: Timothy Peck (p.61)

    No information found.

    25: Nathaniel Gorham (pp. 61-63)

        Nathaniel Gorham was the second son of Shubael and Mary (Sellick) Gorham, or Gorum as the name was sometimes spelled then, and was born about the year 1752 at Stamford, Conn. From the register of St. James Episcopal Church of Stanford we find that he was married in September 16, 1773 to Mary, daughter of Elakim and Mary (Beachgood) Whitney, who was born Feb 27, 1759. He was a farmer in Connecticut and followed the same occupation in New Brunswick.
        In 1783 he arrived in St. John, possible on the vessel "Two Sisters". His uncle Joseph Gorham and the man who became grantee of the adjoining farm Sylvanus Whitney were in charge of companies on the vessel. In St. John he received a grant of lot No. 1020 on the south side of Queen Square, from which he was probably burned out the following season.
        On July 14 1784 he received the grant of his farm on the Long Reach and moved there at once with his wife and children. His wife died in the early days of settlementand was buried on her hsusband's farm and although the grave is in the midst of a cultivated field and unmarked by stone it has been carefully preserved by Seth, William and Newton Sterrett to the present day.
        Later Nathaniel Gorham married Sarah, daughter of Isaac and Tamson (Cable) Bostwick by whom he had several children. His life was long in the land, the church register of Kingston showing that he was buried there Feb 12 1846, aged niney-three years.
        There are still in 1924 several old people in the district who remember him clearly and describe him as of medium height, stout, a ruddy face with side whiskers and clean shaven chin and laughing eyes. Many of his descendants married and settled in the parish and as they afford a key to the genealogy of a number of parish families they are listed in some details as far as the second generatopn. Nathanial had nine children and thrity-nine grandchildren. were born of this marriage, George Gorham who married Sarah Raymond, Hannah who married Hugh McCleery, Hester, who married Seth Sterrett, Francis, who married William Porter, Elizabeth who married Samuel Foster, and Henry who remained unmarried.
    Sarah (Bostwick) Gorham was buried at Kingston Oct 8, 1837 and Nathaniel Gorham on Feb 9, 1846. Nathaniel attained the great age of 94 years and there are yet two people ...

    Children of Nathaniel and Mary (Whitney) Gorham

    i   Charlotte Whitney Gorham born in Conn 1776, married Richard Whelpley of Long Reach. A large postion of the Whelpley and Wetmore families are sescendants of this daughter.

    ii  Nancy Gorham, date of birth not known. Married Jan 23, 1800, Daniel Peatman of Oak Point. She died Oct 19 1864 and was buried at Oak Point. The Peatman, Belyea, Smith and Harrison families are descendants.

    Children of Nathaniel and Sarah (Bostwick) Gorham

    i   George Gorham, born July 22, 1791, married on March 1815, Sarah Raymond, daughter of Stent Raymond of Hampton. From this branch the Gorhams of the Bluff, Sussex and Moncton are descended, also the Titus, Kierstead and Cosman families.

    ii  Elizabeth Gorham married Samuel Foster of Kingston. Memorial windows to both may be seen in Trinity Church. They had no family.

    iii Francis Bostwick Gorham married William Porter of Long Reach. The Porter family of Long Reach, Inch family of Jerusalem and part of the Gorham family are descended from this branch. (Their children: Charles Porter m. Caroline Belyea; Joseph Nathaniel unmarried; Sarah Ann Porter m. Nathaniel Inch.

    iv  Hester Gorham married Seth Sterrett of Gorham's Bluff. From this branch came the Sterrett and McDougall families.

    v Hannah Gorham married Hugh McCleery of Gorham's Bluff. The McCleery family of Kingston, Ottawa and Boston are descended from this branch.

     vi Henry Gorham, unmarried

    Children of Richard and Charlotte Whitney (Gorham) Whelpley

     i Martha Whelpley  married Benjamin Wallace Crawford
     ii Caroline  "              "  John Raymond (no family)
     iii Eliza  "                   "  David Wetmore
     iv Ann  "                    "  Caleb Wetmore
     v Mary Whitney "       "  Solomon Belyea
     vi Charlotte "             "  Wm. P. Flewelling
     vii Hannah  "             "  Enos Flewelling
     viii James Scovil "     "  <Charlotte Cookson
                                        <Cornelia Flewelling
     ix Titus Brown   "      "  Elizabeth Ann Belyea
     x Nathaniel   "          "  <Fannie Britton
                                        < ?
     xi Richard   "            "  Jane Gough
     xii Geo. Frederick "  "  <Sarah Britton
                                        <Angelina Fairweather
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

     Children of Daniel and Nancy (Gorham) Peatman

     i Norris Townsend Peatman  married Jane Flewelling
     ii Charles  "  "  Isabelle Haviland
     iii Henry   "  "  Fanny Flewelling
     iv Mary Ann  "  "  John Belyea
     v George / twin "  "  Miss Cook
     vi Sarah  / twin "  "  Wm. Smith
     vii Harriet Caroline "  "  Wm. Harrison
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

     Children of George and Sarah (Raymond) Gorham

     i Chas. Samuel Gorham married  <Barbara Ann Cosman
                                                         <Miss Corey
     ii James Edward Gorham            "  Phoebe VanWart
     iii Nathaniel Raymond Gorham   "  Jane Hoyt
     iv Mary Ann Gorham                  "  James Cosman
     v Charlotte Eliza Gorham           "  Jabez Titus
     vi Joseph Henry Gorham            "  Emma Louise Paddock
     vii Francis Caroline Gorham       "  Capt. Wm. Hamlin
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

     Children of William and Francis Bostwick (Gorham) Porter

     i Charles Porter  married Caroline Belyea
     ii Joseph [M. or Nathaniel] Porter never married
     iii Sarah Ann Porter  married Nathaniel Inch
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

     Children of Seth and Hester (Gorham) Sterrett

     i Wm. Nathaniel Sterrett married Sarah Sterrett
     ii Mary Jane Sterrett married Wm. McDougall
     iii Matilda Sterrett  married  <Thomas Moore
                                                <Mr. Flight
     Note: W.N. Sterrett, the last of this family died in Jan/25.
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

     Children of Hugh and Hannah (Gorham) McCleery

     i Albert McCleery  married Helen Peatman
     ii Beverley McCleery, MD married Miss Camarad
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

     Children of Samuel and Frannie (Perkins) Gorham

     i Nathaniel Gorham  married Amanda Whelpley
     ii Eliza Gorham  never married / schoolteacher
     iii Chas. W. Gorham  never married ae 27
     iv Francis Newman Gorham d. unmarried
     v Isabell Gorham  married Jacob VanWart

    26: Walter Dibblee (p.64)

     Walter Dibble was a farmer of Stanford, Connecticut and a passenger on the ship UNION in 1783. He was one of the early schoolmasters in New Brunswick and possibly the first to teach in the Summerside district. He taught in Kingston in 1806 and in earlier years at Maugerville and Sussex. He died at Sussex Vale in 1817, aged fifty three. He was a surveyor of land also and the narrow lots on the present Gorham and Shamper's Bluffs were laid out by him in November 178[9]. The original plan of one lot signed by Walter Dibble is in the Dominion Archives.

    27: William Dibblee (p. 64)

        Another passenger on the ship UNION, also listed as a farmer of Stanford. No information concerning him. Ralph Dibble died at Kingston in 1799, possibly a son of William Dibble.

    28: Ephriam Lane (p. 64)

     Ephraim Lane came from Faitfield, Conn. and was a passenger on the ship UNION. No additional information has been found.

    29: Henry Finch  (pp.64-65)

        The memorial of Henry Finch for Lot No. 29 dated at Kingston June 25, 1787 contains some history of the farm which was orriginally in the grant to Wm. Tying and Associates.

     "Your memorialist first applied for lot No. 29 on east side of Long Reach. Hauser's first survey, 3rd lot drawn by John Simons who left the province in Oct. 1783 and is not returned and said lot being forfited by the conditions of the grant.
        Memorialist applied in March, last year and was ordered to call on Mr. O'Dell which he did and Mr. O'Dell directed memorialist to apply to your Excellency at expriation of said lot being forfited from Simons. Your memorialist has improved on said lot and would wish to put in a crop this season if he could get a title to said lot."      (Signed) Henry Finch    /     Grant registered March 25, 1788.
        The foregoing is interesting as giving the approximate date when cultivation began on the lot. Whether Finch ever lived on the lot or not has not been found, although all indications he did. On the breaking out of war between England and France in 1793 the Loyal Company of Artillery was enlisted in St. John. On the roll appears the name of Henry Finch, Loyalist. He probably lived in St. John afterwards. Sabine notes his death there in 1814.

        Two Miss Finches, elderly spinsters, were visitors at Gorham's Bluff in the writer's youth, whether descendants or not of Henry Finch is not known.

    30: John Lyon, Jr. (p.65)

        The farm was in later years owned by David Lyon. The following deed show the sale of part of this farm to Henry Finch.

        Deed John Lyon to Henry Finch dated Nov 7 1796.  Know all men by these present that we John Lyon of th eparish of
    Kingston in the County of Kings and province of New Brunswick, farmer and Sarah, his wife, for and in consideration of the sum of fifty pounds lawful money to us paid by Henry Finch of the City and County of St. John, mariner the receipt of which we do herby acknowledge, have granted, bargained and sold unto Henry Finch, his heirs and assigns All that lot of parcel of land being one half og lot no. 30 Houser's First Survey, situate, lying and being in the east end of the St. John rear of the parcel of Kingston in the county and province aforesaid fronting westerlythe banks of the Said river. Northerly by lands belonging to Walter Bates, easterly by a creek that intersects the above premises, which creek forms the rear or back part of the parcel of the aforesaid lands and southerly by lands belonging to the said Henry Finch, containing by estamation one hundred acres, be the same more on loss etc, etc... /  Signed by John Lyon, Jr / Sarah Lyon

    31: Walter Bates (p. 65)

        Walter Bates was the first historian of Kingston and a leader among the Loyalist settlers for many years. He was the son of John and Sarah (Bostwick) Bates of Darien, Conn., now the eastern end of Stanford, and was born March 14, 1760, and was therefore a young man when he arrived at St. John on the ship UNION in 1783. His name appears as Cornorer and as town clerk in 1809. He appears to have received the appointment of Sheriff of Kings County about 1808, which office he held for many years. He died in 1842, aged about 82 years.
     William Bates, an elder brother of Walter, born May 1, 1758, was in the army of General Cornwallis at the Yorktown surrender. He came to New Brunswick in 1783 and later moved to Upper Canada. A sister, Louenna Bates married Thomas Gilbert, Jr. of Birkley, Mass and was among the Loyalist settlers at Gagetown, NB. (In part from History of  Stanford.)

    32: John Mewin (p.65 +)

        Concerning this grantee very little information has been found except this from the account of the landing of the Loyalist near Kingston Creek.

     "We set sail above the falls and arried at Belleisle Bay before sunset .... John Mewin, John Lyon and myself went on shore and pitched a tent in the bushes and slept all night."

        The name of Mewin does not appear on the passenger list of the UNION, but that of John Marvin does. There may have been an error in the spelling of the name. The Marvin family continued in the county.

    extra data:
        In Israel Hoyts account books the name of John Marvin and John Merwin appear frequently. Sometimes the spelling is Marvin, sometimes Merwin but there is nothing to indicate they were not one and the same person. The names of John Marvin's wife, and Silas and Sarah also appear.

    33: John Crabb(e) The end of the Bluff (pp. 65-67)

        The John Crabb farm was surveyed by Walter Dibble Nov. 25, 1784 and a plan of the lot approved by G.A. Leonard and Wm. Tying, is in the Dominion Archives. On Jan 1784, Daniel Bostwick petitioned that lot of land which he stated he had then taken possession of by permision of the agents and had begun to make improvements. On Feb. 10, 1785 Thomas Ketchum petitioned for the same lot and was informed he must get a better description of its location than was contained in his memorial. On March 5, 1785 he submitted a plan showing the Belleisle Bay and presnt Gorham's Bluff, the latter marked with several crosses and labeled "This is the land Thomas Ketchum prays for, (signed) Walter Bates. Under date of Feb 22, 1785, Wm. Tying wrote the following letter to Hon. Jonathan O'Dell.

        "Sir, The bearer of this, Mr. Crabb, acquaints me that one Daniel Bostwick has been up the river and offered for sale two points of land on the Belleisle which he pretends to have an order from the Governor to possess.  I beg to acquaint you that those two points were surveyed for and given by the agent to Mr. Crabb and are entered on the Register. Mr. Crabb will show you a copy of the survey - he is an industrious man and says he has his board and shingles to go to work upon a house on one of these points. I have the honor to be / Sir, / Your most humble servant, / Wm. Tying."

     On March 11, 1785 the grant to John Crabb was confirmed by Council.

        Following this John Crabb appears to have lived for a time at the Bluff and fulfilled the requirements for possession but found he could not get the full area allotted to him by the survey. In Feb. 1799 he petitioned for another lot stating that he could not get possession of more than 100 acres of land in his grant without a law suit which if successful would cause his
    neighbor's boundary to be moved. He had no desire to quarrel with his neighbour and therefore asks leave to relinquish his claim and take a lot elsewhere. He stated he had purchased Lot No. 29 on the north west side of the Long Reach and asked for the grant of Lot No. 28 adjoining, called Devil's Back.
        This request was granted and after ten year's possession of the points on the Belleisle John Crabb moved to the Devil's Back where his descendants still live in 1923.
        Following the removal of John Crabb one point passed to Andrew Shamper who was listed as eligible for duty in 1802 and therefore must have been a resident there. That point became known as Shamper's Bluff and is in the possession of his son, adino Shamper, now a very old man in 1925.
        The other point passed into the possession of Reuben Lyon, a Loyalist who may have been a brother of Joseph and John Lyon, or a son of the former. He erected a house on his lot near what is at present known to sportsmen as "Robin's Point" one of the best duck shooting places on the river. This point was purchased by the writer's father, Joseph Gorham, from the Lyon family.
        The name of Crabb's Point appears to have been in common use for some years after John Crabb gave up possession. This is shown in the descriptive poem of Phillip Kehoe, 1822, where after describing Hog Island in the Belleisle Bay, he writes:

    "Now tack about, Crabb Point is right ahead
    Well known to all who on the river trade.
    Here warlike oak, the lofty fir and beech
    Nod invitation to you down the Reach.
    The stately pine and lasting cedar too
    In spiral shape rise beautiful to view."

    Mounted: 1 June 1999
    Updated:Sunday, 17-Nov-2002 09:21:11 MST