Twibell, Twibel, Twible
Frances TWIBELL, christened 27 July 1797 in Thorpe Salvin, Yorkshire, was one of my husbands ggg-grandmothers.
She married George BUTLER on 8 Feb 1820 in Thorpe Salvin; she died in Sleaford, Lincolnshire in 1885
Frances was the d/o James TWIBEL & Phoebe PARKIN who were married in Anston Yorkshire on 17 May 1795. (IGI batch M073862 - link to Anston parish records)
- Phoebe was the daughter of Thomas PARKIN & she was chr 18 Oct 1774 in Anston, Yorkshire (IGI batch C135562)
- In both the 1841 and 1851 censuses, James TWIBEL is with his nephews William and Nicholas TWIBEL in Elksley Notts. Phoebe is not to be found.
FreeBMD has 2 deaths of Phoebe TWIBELLs up to March 1841:
1. Sept 1837, Phoebe Ann TWIBELL, Southwell 15 pg 394 [this d/o John & Charlotte, below]
2. June 1838, Phoebe TWIBELL, Newark 15, pg 34
FreeBMD has 2 deaths of James TWIBELL between March 1851 and March 1861:
1. Dec 1858, Worksop 7b, pg 20
2. Dec 1858, Ecclesall B, 9c pg 169
William TWIBELL, 25, farmer & publican, born Notts
Sarah TWIBELL, 6, not born in Notts [how does she fit in?]
Nicholas TWIBELL, 20, journeyman joiner, born Notts
James TWIBELL, 60, farmer, not born Notts
William TWIBELL, head, unmarr, 39, publican and farmer of 300 acres, born Elksley Notts
Nicholas TWIBELL, brother, 32, joiner, born Elksley
James TWIBELL, uncle, widower, 77, gent, born Anston Yorkshire
Sarah TWIBELL, aunt, widow, 71 housekeeper, born Forthill? (Harthill?) Yorkshire [is this a sister-in-law of James?, haven't found her in the 1841 census yet]
The search for James TWIBELL, born Anston abt 1774 - I checked Anston parish records, LDS film 1544931 and found James TWIBELL, s/o Nicholas who was christened 28 Nov 1773. Other children of Nicholas who were christened in Anston
Also found, Nicholas TWIBELL married Frances MAJOR, Sheffield, November 1772 (IGI online)
There was another TWIBELL family in Anston at the same time as Nicholas & Frances, that of James & Elizabeth (one family? two?). A James TWIBELL married an Elizabeth BASHFORTH on 18 May 1764 Silkstone, Yorkshire, England but I have no idea if this is the correct couple - still looking.
Children of James & Phoebe (nee Parkin):
1. John, chr. 14 Oct 1795, Thorpe Salvin, Yorkshire, England. He married Charlotte PINDER on June 12, 1832 in Clarborough, Nottingham, England.
- 1841, census, Laxton, game keeper
- 1851, census, Laxton, Notts., England, age 53, farmer of 10 acres
- 1832, marriage from IGI batch M046431
Children of John & Charlotte TWIBLE:
1. Phebe Ann chr 17 April 1833, Laxton, Notts.; d. August 10, 1837, Laxton, Notts., England. (IGI batch C010952)
2. Mary Charlotte, chr 22 April 1835 Laxton, Notts. (IGI batch C010952), at home in the 1851 census. She married George LEE in 1861. [June 1861, Southwell 7b, pg 403]
Children of George & Mary LEE:
- John William, born about 1862 Tresswell Notts.
- George Jr., born about 1864, Laxton
- William John, born about 1865, Laxton
- Robert, born about 1867, Laxton
- Richard Thomas, born about 1871, Laxton
3. Betsy Susanna, chr 21 Sept 1838 Laxton, Nottingham
4. John Pinder, chr 13 June 1841, Laxton. Single in 1881.
5. William Pinder, chr 08 July 1843 Laxton. Not in 1851 census with parents
2. Frances, see Butler page
3. Ann, chr . January 29, 1799, Thorpe Salvin
4. Phebe, chr . February 02, 1804, Thorpe Salvin. She married John WADESON on 2 April 1827 in Thorpe Salvin.
- John was s/o John WADESON & Jane MINTA. He died before 1881
- Phebe died 18 Jan 1885 in Hough on Hill, Lincolnshire
- IGI batch C026122, Caythorpe, Lincoln has the christenings of 2 daughters of John & Phoebe: Elizabeth and Phoebe, on 25 Dec 1836.
- I have not found them in the 1841 census - checked Hough, Frieston & Caythorpe
- some Wadeson probate records - click here
Children of John & Phoebe WADESON:
1. William, born about 1827, Thorpe Salvin, Yorks., England. Single in 1851, cant find in 1861
2. James, born about 1829, Normanton, Lincoln England; He married Frances [surname unknown] before 1861 census
3. Jane Minta, b. 1831, Normanton, Lincoln.
4. Elizabeth, born before Dec 1836, married William DORN, December 1/4 of 1852 in Lambeth England area.
- son Edwin WADESON + son John William DORN
5. Phoebe, born before Dec 1836. She married Thomas WILSON on 22 Sept 1863 in New Sleaford. [Sept 1/4 of 1863, Sleaford 7a pg 607].
- In both 1851 & 1861 censuses Pheobe was working as a servant in different households
- Thomas was a widower, age 34, occupation = groom, & a resident of New Sleaford at the time of his marriage to Phoebe
- Thomas was s/o Richard whose occuptaion was given as cottager
- by the time of the 1881 census, Phoebe was a widow with 3 sons
Children of Phoebe & Thomas WILSON (all born in Sleaford)
- Albert, born about 1865
- Arthur Wadeson, born about 1869
- Christopher, born about 1873
6. Robert, born about 1837, Caythorpe, Lincoln; d. June 20, 1838, Caythorpe, Lincoln.
7. Thomas, born about 1840, Frieston, Lincoln, at home in 1851 census. Married Mary A. [surname unknown]. Living in Colchester, Essex, England in 1881. Thomas died in 1886 [June 1886, 46 Colchester 4a, pg 230]
Children of Thomas & Mary:
- James, born about 1868, Watford, Hertford - 1901 census search yields this: James Wadeson age 33, born Herts Watford, res Surrey Caterham, occup House Painter [need to check full entry]
- Phoebe, born about 1870, Watford
- Martha, born about 1872, Watford
- Joseph, born about 1881 (age 10 days in 1881 census), Colchester Essex:
A search for a Twibell family with sons William & Nicholas of the correct age found the following:
John Major TWIBEL & his wife Rebecca (this is probably the John Mager, s/o Nicholas & Frances above). Did John die in 1825? There was John TWIBELL, of Forest, who died Nov 1825 at age 40, buried in Anston) Also, there was a Rebecca TWIBELL who died in 1832, age 52, of Normanton, near Worksop, buried in Anston.
1. William Snell TWIBELL, chr March 8, 1812, Elksley, Notts., England (IGI batch # C044671). In Elksley in 1841 & 1851 census (above). Doesn't seem to be in 1881 census & I haven't found him yet in 1871.
2. Frances, chr on 12 July 1814 Elkesley, Nottingham (there was a Frances TWIBELL who died Jan 1815, age 7 months, d/o John of Normanton, buried in Anston)
3. Nicholas, 1819, Elkesley. Nicholas died in 1852 [Sep 1852, E. Retford 7b pg 12]
4. James, 1822, Elkesley
NOTE: There was a Nicholas TWIBELL who married an Ann MAJOR in Anston in 1763.
Census Information for above families
John TWIBELL, 40, gamekeeper, not born Notts
Charlotte TWIBELL, 35, born Notts
Mary TWIBELL, 6, born Notts
Betsy TWIBELL, 2, born Notts.
Hough on Hill, Lincoln
John WADESON, head, married, 56, ag lab, born Normanton? Lincoln
Phebe WADESON, wife, age 47, born Thorpe Salvin, Yorks
William WADESON, son, unmar, 24, house servant, born Thorpe Salvin Yorks
James WADESON, son, unmar, 22, ag lab, born Lincoln Normanton
Thomas P. WADESON, won, 11, scholar, born Lincoln, Freiston
John TWIBELL, head, mar, 53, farmer of 10 acres, born Yorks. Thorpe Salvin
Charlotte TWIBELL, wife, mar., 46, born Notts. Laxton
Mary C. TWIBELL, dau, 15, farmer's daughter, born Notts. Laxton
Betsy TWIBELL, dau, 12, scholar, born Notts. Laxton
John Pinder TWIBELL, 9, scholar, born Notts. Laxton
Hough on Hill
James WADESON, head, mar, 32, machine owner, born Lincoln Normanton
Frances WADESON, wife, mar, 32, born Lincoln, Belton?
Hough on Hill
John WADESON, head, mar, 66, laborer, born Lincoln Normanton
Phebe WADESON, wife, mar, 57, born Yorks Thorpe Salvin
Edwin WADESON, grandson, 3, born Hough Lincoln
Hough on Hill
John WADESON, head, 71, ag lab, Lincoln Normanton
Phebe WADESON, wife, mar, Thorpe Salvin
High Street, Ropsley Lincoln
William DORN, head, mar, 31, blacksmith journeyman, born Leicestershire Branston
Elizabeth DORN, wife, mar, 34, born Lincoln Frieston
Edwin WADESON, son, 13, scholar, born Lincoln Hough
John W. DORN, son, 6, scholar, born Lincoln Freiston
Hough on Hill
William DORN, head, married, 41, born Branston Leic., blacksmith journeyman
Elizabeth DORN, wife, married, 44, born Frieston Lincoln
John DORN, son, 16, born Frieson, joiner (apprentice)
40 Whitworth Lane Police Office, Attercliffe cum Darnall, Yorks.
John P. TWIBELL, head, unmarried, 39, born Laxton Notts., police constable inspector
Fanny PINDER, servant, unmarried, 30, born Laxton Notts., domestic servant
Holly Hall Wentworth Park, Greasbrough, York England
George LEE, head, mar, 49, born Laxton, shepherd
Mary Charlotte LEE, wife, mar, 45, born Laxton
John William LEE, son, unmar, born Tresswell Notts., butcher
George LEE, son, 17, born Laxton, groom
William John LEE, son, 15, born Laxton,
Robert LEE, son, 13, born Laxton, scholar
Richard Thomas LEE, son, 10, born Laxton, scholar
Vineyard St., Colchester St. Botolph, Essex
Thomas WADESON, head, mar, 41, born Frinstone (Freiston?), Lincoln, laborer
Mary A. WADESON, wife, mar, 35, born Stanbridge, Bedford
James WADESON, son, 13, born Watford Hertford, scholar
Phoebe WADESON, dau, age 11, born Watford Hertford, scholar
Martha WADESON, dau, age 9, born Watford Hertford, scholar
Joseph WADESON, son, 10 d, born Colchester Essex
5 Lords Court, New Sleaford, Lincoln
Phoebe WILLSON, head, widow, 44, bron Freiston Lincoln, char woman
Albert WILLSON, son, unmarried, 16, born Sleaford Lincoln, post boy (coachman ND)
Arthur Wadeson WILLSON, son, 12, born Sleaford Lincoln, unemployed
Christopher WILLSON, son, 8, born Sleaford Lincoln, scholar
1 Grantham Road, Quarrington, Lincs.,
William DORN, head, mar, 50, blacksmith, born Branston, Leic.
Elizabeth DORN, widoe, mar, 54, born Freiston cum Caythorpe, Lincs
John W. DORN, son, 16, c. joiner, born Freiston cum Caythorpe, Lincs
1 Grantham Road, Quarrington Lincs.
Elizabeth DORN, head, widow, 64, born Lincoln illegible
53 West--? Rd., Wood Green, part of St. Marys parish, Tottenham
John Wm DORN, head, mar, 36, house fitter & joiner, worker, born Freiston cum Caythorpe
Sarah DORN, wife, mar, 36, born Stamford Lincs
Dorothy M. DORN, dau, 4, born Wood Green London
And? J. DORN, son, 1, born Wood Green London
Marriages Mar 1889 TWIBELL John Major, Glanford B 7a813