Scroll down for other Ness lines in Ontario
WILLIAM NESS was born about 1816,(possibly the son of Alexander NESS & Marion HUNTER, in Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland). William died March 07, 1899 in Innisfil twp., Simcoe Co., Ontario. He married (1)Margarie McFarlane McKENZIE June 11, 1836 in Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland, daughter of John McKENZIE and JANET THOMSON. He married (2)Ellen BURLEY or BAXTER
William had a brother Frederick, and details of him are found farther down the page.
William & Margery were in Ontario by 1848 when their son Alexander was born. They had had 4 daughters in Scotland, but by Oct. 1846, only the eldest, Janet, survived.
In the 1871 census, William is age 59, farmer, Innisfil twp., Simcoe County, Presbyterian.
In 1872 Margarie dies, age 54. No cause of death is given on her death registration, for which the informant was her son,John M. Ness. She is buried at 6th Line cemetery, Innisfil twp, sec 1, row 9. Her name is spelled Margery on her tombstone. William is not buried with her - where is William?
In the 1881 census, William is 69 years old and has re-married, to Ellen. Her age is given as 30. They have 4 young children.
In the 1891 census, William is still farming in Innisfil twp. Ellen's age is now given as 52 years - both of her parents were born in Quebec.
In 1899 William dies of old age. His will, dated June 22 1898, leaves his real estate to his youngest son Charles - the SW 1/4 of lot 21, con 8 (50 acres) in Innisfil twp. The estate is valued at $3047.10. Daughter Elizabeth inherits $200 - to be paid to her on her 21st birthday. No other children are mentioned in this will. He refers to Ellen as mistress. The executors of his will are his "good friends" Charles CROSS and John NICHOLSON,
Ellen dies in 1907 at age 72 while residing at lot 21, con 8, Innisfil. She died of thrombosis of the cerebral vessels.
The children of William and Margarie are:
1. Janet McMillan NESS, b. August 08, 1839, Glasgow, Scotland; d. July 18, 1898, in Stroud, Simcoe Co., Ontario "in her 56th year" according to a short death notice in the Barrie Northern Advance of 21 July 1898; m. William DICKEY, Innisfil twp.. Both Janet & William are buried at 6th Line cemetery, Innisfil twp, sec 1, row 18,. In 1904 William Dickey had his photo taken with a group of men who had resided in Innisfil for 60 years. In the 1861, census William is age 28 (born Upper Canada) , a farmer in Innisfil twp and in the 1891, census he is now age 57 and still a farmer in Innisfil.
Children of Janet NESS and William DICKEY are:
1. John DICKEY, b. Abt. 1858, Innisfil twp., Simcoe Co., Ontario; m. Jane GOODFELLOW, November 15, 1882, Innisfil twp., Simcoe Co., Ontario. (marr reg # 10412-82) witnesses were Wm Dickey and Fanny Goodfellow of Innisfil. Both of Jane's parents (John & Esther) were born in Scotland. Children of John & Jane (with ages in 1891): Mabel (7), Bertha A. (5), Annie M. (3) and Rachel H. (1).
2.. William Ness DICKEY, b. Abt. 1860; d. May 24, 1896, Flos twp., Simcoe Co., Ontario; m. on 22 Feb 1882 at Innisfil, Rachel GOODFELLOW (b. about 1862, d/o John & Esther). William died intestate, letters of admin were filed by his widow, Rachel. All 5 of his children were under 21 years of age. He had owned 100 acres, S 1/2 of lot 19, 4th concession, worth $2199. His personal estate valued at $866.50 - household: $50, farming implements $95, horses $210, horned cattle $120, sheep & swine $65, farm produce $65, book debts & promissary notes $26, with $50 owing. Children's names were - William John, Robert Wilfred, Albert Lorne, Eleanor May & Thomas Harvey
3.. Robert DICKEY. age 24 in 1891, living at home, farm laborer
4. Margery DICKEY. age 19 in 1891, living at home
5, Jennie (Jane?) DICKEY, born about 1873 in Innisfil twp. In 1893 she was living in Stroud, where she married Robert James McCONKEY, a butcher, age 29, who had aslo been born in Innisfil twp. He was the son of John & Rebecca McCONKEY. Jane & Robert were married Aug. 30, 1893 at Innisfil twp - witnesses were Wilson & Catherine FORBES of Innisfil (reg# 11035-93)
6. George A DICKEY. age 13 in 1891
7. Albert L DICKEY. age 10 in 1891
Charles DICKEY, was at home in the 1881 census, age 12, but not in the 1891 census
2. Marion Hunter NESS, b. 1841, Glasgow, Scotland; d. February 20, 1845.
3. Elizabeth NESS, b. March 22, 1844; d. November 11, 1845.
4. Margery NESS, b. October 17, 1846; d. October 17, 1846.
5. Alexander NESS, b. May 19, 1848, Ontario; d. July 21, 1926, Barrie, Ontario; m. Christina HENDERSON, June 28, 1870, Innisfil twp., Ontario. In the 1871 census Alexander is married, age 22, living in Innisfil twp., Simcoe Co., Presbyterian, farmer (age 32 in 1881). In the 1901 census he is now 52 & still farming in Innisfil. In 1910 he is living in Allendale, Simcoe Co. Alexander died in 1926 and is buried at 6th Line cemetery, Innisfil twp with his wife Christina & daughters Maggie M & Christina. His tombstone says that he was born in 1844. His will is probate # 12382, Simcoe Co.
Christina HENDERSON was born Aug. 10, 1846 Isle of Mull, Scotland. She died in 1831 in Innisfil twp. Her parents were Alexander & Catherine (from Christina's marriage reg.). Christina had at least one sister, Catherine, who was witness at her wedding and at least one brother Neil, who was living with Catherine in the 1891 census (Innisfil twp)
Children of Alexander NESS and Christina HENDERSON are:
1. Alexander Henderson NESS, b. 1872, Innisfil twp., d. 1941; m. Bertha Maria DUTTON, January 27, 1904, Barrie, Ontario. Bertha was born in Guelph. Both are buried at 6th Line cemetery, Innisfil twp with daughter Christena. In 1904 Alexander was a merchant. Bertha lived to be 101 years old. Alexander & Bertha had at least one child, Christena Loas (called Loas) who died in Stroud on July 22, 1910 at age 3 of instestinal indigestion with toxemic poisoning. Loas had been born 21 June 1907. death reg # 27544-07
2.. William NESS, b. August 10, 1876; d. 1952, Innisfil twp., Ontario; m. MINNIE HUTTON.
3. Margery Alice NESS, b. May 10, 1877, Innisfil twp., Ontario; d. 1967, Innisfil twp., Ontario; m. (1) William I. ROBERTSON (farmer), Jan 6, 1904, Innisfil twp., Ontario. they were married at her parents' home, S 1/2 lot 10, conc 8 of Innisfil, witnesses: Tena Ness of Innisfil & Matthew Robertson of Allendale
4. Maggie McConkey NESS, b. August 15, 1878; d. 1880, Innisfil twp., Ontario.
5. Thomas McKenzie NESS, b. May 02, 1880, Innisfil twp., Ontario.
6. Christena May NESS, b. March 02, 1882, Innisfil twp., Ontario; d. December 01, 1910, Innisfil twp., Ontario, of TB (residence at that time was Essa St., Barrie). She was unmarried: death reg # 27307-10
7. Beatrice M. NESS, b. February 20, 1885; d. 1932; m. J. Robert McBRIDE. Beatrice i s buried at 6th Line Cemetery, Innisfil twp, with her husband and her sister Margery
6. John McKenzie NESS, b. July 13, 1850, Innisfil twp., Ontario; d. October 02, 1922, Barrie, Ontario; m. (1) MARTHA ANN HARRISON, January 06, 1875, Toronto; m. (2) FRANCES JEBB, March 07, 1888, Cookstown, (Simcoe Co) Ontario - St. Johns Church, C of E,.
When John was married in 1875 he was a merchant, residing in Bramley, Simcoe Co. Martha Ann was 18 at the time and was living with her family in Toronto. He was still a merchant in 1877, but in 1878 he gives his occupation as hotel keeper (on a child's birth registration). By 1896 John Ness owns the Simcoe Hotel in Barrie. He died in 1922 (will is Probate # 11020, see bottom of this page). Martha was the d/o Robert & Lucretia HARRISON who were both born in Ireland.
In 1886 Martha died of liver disease (tumor). Her death was registered twice, once in Barrie and once in Toronto. When John Ness re-married in 1888, the witnesses at the marriage were Talbert FISHER of W. Gwillumbury & Minnie JEBB of Tecumseth. John Ness is buried at Barrie Union cem with his second wife, lot A, #9 & 10. Frances JEBB's parents were George & Mary Ann. Frances's birth date was Oct. 11, 1863 (in Tecumseth, Ontario)
Children of John NESS and Martha HARRISON are:
1. Lucretia Margery NESS, b. December 28, 1875, Innisfil twp., Simcoe County, Ontario; d. 1945, Barrie, Ontario; m. John Franklin CRAIG, June 15, 1896, Barrie, Ontario. Both are buried at Barrie Union cemetery. The witnesses at their wedding were John M. Ness, and S. Hind of Barrie - they had a marriage announcement in 'The Northern Advance', the Barrie newspaper.
John Franklin Craig in 189 was age 21, living at home with his parents in Goderich where he was a tailor. In the 1901 census he was age 30, and a merchant/tailor in Barrie.
2. Sarah Lenetta NESS, b. April 10, 1877, Bromley, Innisfil twp., Simcoe Co.; m. William Herbert HIND, September 28, 1904, Barrie, Ontario. In 1904 William was living in Toronto where he was a railway conductor. The witnesses at their wedding: John M. Ness and Lillie E. Hind (of East Toronto)
William HIND was the s/o Joseph HIND & Mary BROCK and he was born in Jarvis. Haldimand Co., Ontario about 1874. He had at least two brothers, Edwin & Edmund, both two years younger than him. In 1881 this family was living in Walpole twp., Haldimand Co.
3. Hughena Elizabeth NESS, b. October 18, 1878; d. May 09, 1888.
4. John William NESS, b. 1882, Barrie, Ontario; m. (1) Edythe Rosamund BALL (d/o Henry BALL & Sarah Mary CUNNINGHAM), September 05, 1907, Barrie, Ontario. and (2) Eva Mae HORNER on 20 Sept 1922 in Toronto
In 1907 John William was a banker in Barrie, Ontario. The witnesses at their wedding were Lawrence and Effie BAILEY of Orillia. John William is buried at Barrie Union cemetery, in BALL plot, with both wives & infant daughter Willow who died with her mother Edith in 1912.
Eva Mae HORNER was d/o James HORNER & Margaret PRESTON and she was born aboyr 1895 in Kenora Ont. In 1922 she was a trained nurse & was she was living in Barrie. One of the witnesses at the wedding was a Thomas H. Horner of Barrie. Marriage reg 5217-22. John was still a banker in Barrie in 1922.
from The Northern Advance (Barrie), Thursday September 5, 1907 :
NESS - BALL
The marriage of Miss Edith B. youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H.
Ball, Mary street, to Mr. John W. Ness, only son of Mr. and Mrs. John
Ness, was quietly solemnized on Tuesday afternoon at the residence of
the bride's parents. Rev. G. I. Craw, Thornton, performed the ceremony
in the presence of the immediate relatives.
The drawing room had been tastefully decorated, with palms and asters,
the happy event taking place under a bell of asters and ferns. On the
entrance of the bridal party the wedding march duet was played by Mrs.
(Dr.) Henry, Detroit and Mrs. (Dr.) Bailey, Orillia, sisters of the
bride. The bride, who was unattended, was attired in a gown of white
crepoline de Paris over white taffeta with chiffon and ribbon trimming,
and carried a bouquet of pink roses. Little Gladys Ness and Isla Henry
made charming flower girls, while Master Mervyn Bailey was ring bearer.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, following the usual congratulations,
a recherché breakfast was served after which the happy couple left on
the 2 p.m. train for Toronto and Detroit. The bride travelling in a
costume of chiffon navy blue broadcloth with a hat to match. Mr. and
Mrs. Ness will make their home on Mary St.
The wedding presents were many and varied, the groom's gift to the
bride being a pearl ring and gold engraved locket with chain, to each
little flower girl a gold padlock bracelet, to the bride's sisters, who
played the wedding march, gold Florida leaf broaches, and to the page,
Master Mervyn Bailey, a gold opal ring.
5. Martha Annis NESS, b. May 09, 1884.
Children of John NESS and Frances JEBB are:
6. Gladys Bay NESS, b. December 09, 1895; d. August 18, 1968; m. Charles LOVE. Gladys is buried at Barrie Union cemetery with her husband and parents. Gladys was unmarried in 1922. Buried at Barrie Union cemetery is John McKenzie LOVE. Probably he is son of Charles & Gladys.
This is the death notice for John M. LOVE, from 'Toronto Star' of Sunday, 28 June 1992
LOVE, John MacKenzie - Entered into rest at the Ross Memorial Hosptial in Lindsay on Friday June 26, 1992. John Love in his 69th year was the beloved husband of Doris Love (Leggat), loving father of Tony and his wife Sheila and Richard and his wife Anna. Dear grandfather of Cathy, Jennifer and Tory. Stepfather of Kenneth Leggat and Donald Leggat and his wife Janice, and Janice and her husband Ray [Roy?] Star. Friends may call at the Mackey Funeral Home, 33 Peel St., Lindsay Ont., on Sunday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. with complete funeral service in the chapel on Monday at 130 p.m. Following cremation, interment at the Union Cemetery, Barrie.
7. Edith May NESS, b. Abt. 1889; m. Vernon .S. HAMBLY, December 29, 1910, Toronto.... also buried at Barrie. In 1910, Vernon was age 24, a hardware merchant of Barrie and s/o William Thomas HAMBLY & Roxana DALES. In 1922 Vernon & Edith were living in Barrie.
7. William H. NESS, b. August 23, 1852, Ontario; d. August 14, 1902, Innisfil twp., Simcoe Co.. In the 1881 census, he was age 28 and, "At college" is written beside his name. He became a Ppresbyterian minister. He died in 1902, died of catarrah of the stomach & his residence at time of death: part of N 1/2 lot 15, con 9, Innisfil (informant on death registration: Robert Ness).
8. Thomas NESS, b. November 13, 1854, Innisfil, Ontario; m. Margaret SEATON. In 1884 Thomas's occupation was hotel keeper, but in 1887, 1895, and 1901 & 1911 he is a farmer in Innisfil twp. In 1931 he is living at 55 Galley Ave., Toronto. Margaret was born July 28, 1865 in Glenelg twp., Ontario
Children of Thomas NESS and Margaret SEATON are:
1. Wilford Thomas McKenzie NESS, b. December 11, 1884, LeFroy, Innisfil twp., Ontario.
2.. Jenetta M. NESS, b. April 28, 1886; m. David WALKER, September 11, 1909, Toronto, Ontario. She was also called Nettie Jennette & she was married to David in 1909 in Toronto, marriage reg # 003705-09
3.. William NESS, b. December 20, 1888. With parents in the 1911 census - age 22, farmer
4. John NESS, b. September 20, 1892. With parents in the 1911 census, age 16, farmer,
5. Harvey Alexander NESS, b. September 03, 1895, Innisfil twp., Ontario; d. June 1960, Toronto, Ontario (Sunnybrook Hospital); m. Daphne Mary APPERLEY in Toronto on 2 June 1920 (marr reg 4458-20). In WW1, Harvey served with the Royal Canadian Artillery. In 1950 he went into business with his son - HA Ness & Co, manufacturers and distributors of production tools. When Harvey died in 1960 he was living in Toronto, Beresford Ave. He was a member of the St. Clair Masonic Lodge, and the Scottish Rifle. His obituary appeared in the Globe, June 27, 1906
Daphne was born in Natal Durham, South Africa about 1900, d/o Frederick Thomas Apperly & Mary Ada Morris.
6. Robert Burns NESS, b. September 09, 1897. With parents in the 1911 census. In his CEF attestation papers (1916) he gives his address, and the address of his father Thomas as 70 Waterloo Ave in Guelph. Unmarried in 1916
7. Blanch Glenora NESS, b. September 09, 1899. She married Norman William JAMES on 26 March 1921 in Toronto (1965-21). She was a resident of Toronto (660 Bathurst St) at the time; Norman's address on the marriage registration is also 660 Bathurst St.
Norman was born about 1898 in London Ontario, the s/o Thomas Henry JAMES (born in Canada) & Hattie TRIPP. He was a student at the time of the marriage. Witnesses were M. James of London Ont & W. Ness of Toronto.
8. Georgie McFarlin NESS (female), b. September 06, 1905, Innisfil twp.; d. January 13, 1911, Innisfil twp., lot 10, con 8 (typhoid).
9. Louise Hazel NESS, b. July 1903, age 8 in the 1911 census (as Loue). She married Robert Edward FIELDING in Toronto in 1925. Robert was the s/o Arthur FIELDING & Ruth ELLIOTT.
9. Robert McConkey NESS, b. January 11, 1857, Ontario; d. December 25, 1918, Barrie, Ontario; m. Elizabeth Hasty McCONKEY (of Irish descent, born 1864), February 23, 1887, Innisfil, Simcoe Co., Ontario.
In the 1881 census Robert is living with father, Ellen and 1/2 brothers & sisters in Innisfil twp. By the time of the 1901 census he is age 49, Presbyterian, merchant, living in Barrie (at this time an Alex Ness, age 27, born 11 Jan 1874, clerk, is living with them - nephew). Robert is buried with his wife at 6th line cemetery, Innisfil his tombstone says that he was born in 1857. He died of cerebral hemorrhage leading to heart failure on 25 Dec 1918 in Barrie (informant on death certificate is John F. CRAIG). Elizabeth died 12 June 1930 at 357 Belsize Dr in Toronto (death reg 4935-30)
Children of Robert NESS and Elizabeth Hasty McCONKEY are:
1. Margaret Wilda NESS, b. June 27, 1891; married a Mr. GORDON. She was called Wilda and she is buried at Barrie Union cemetery with her parents.
2. William Robert Max. NESS, b. February 22, 1893, Barrie, Ontario; d. April 1962, Toronto; m. Helen BOOTH on 12 June 1924 in Toronto (reg 2601-24). William Robert graduated from Osgoode Law School in 1923 and was a barrister in Toronto - 1950, Queens Counsel. His obituary appeared in the Toronto Globe, May 8, 1962 - he was a member of Yorkminster Park Baptist church & was living on Kingsmere Road (had 3 grandchildren). During WW1 he served with 29th Guelph Battery, including Ypres.
Helen Marie BOOTH was born in Toronto abt 1894, d/o Arthur George BOOTH & Addie Alderman MILLER.
In 1924 William was living at 90 Castlefield Rd in Toronto. One of the witnesses at the wedding was a F.A.B. Ness of the same address (brother?). In 1924 Helen was living at 91 Hayden St.
3. Elizabeth Margery McKenzie. NESS, b. December 28, 1896.
4. Fergus Allan Barclay NESS, b. December 28, 1900. Called Barclay in the 1911 census (Barrie)
10. James NESS, b. March 11, 1859; d. March 23, 1859.
11. Elizabeth Ann NESS, b. November 05, 1860; d. August 19, 1866.
Children of William NESS and Ellen BURLEY are:
1. James NESS, b. March 12, 1873, Innisfil twp., married Annie YOUNG (b, abt 1876) on Dec. 28, 1897 in Teeswater, Bruce Co. Annie was d/o Andrew & Elizabeth. #3298
2. Frederick NESS, b. June 29, 1875, Bromley, Innisfil twp., Simcoe Co.; d. 1946; m. Mable Elizabeth POLLOCK who born in Cookstown in 1889. Frederick is buried at 6th Line cemetery, Innisfil twp, on hwy 11/Yonge St
Children of Frederick and Mabel is:
Walter Douglas NESS, b. 1924; d. 1991; m. Marion Ethel JACKSON. Walter is buried at 6th Line cemetery, Innisfil twp, on hwy 11/Yonge St
Elsie NESS, b. & d. 4 Jan 1921 at Stroud
3. Elizabeth NESS, b. February 02, 1878, Innisfil twp.,.
4.Charles NESS, b. November 12, 1880, Innisfil twp.,; d. 1954; m. Matilda Louise BENSON (Mar. 31, 1880 - June 4, 1943). Both are buried at 6th line cemetery, Innisfil
Children of Charles NESS and Matilda BENSON are:
i. Harold Alfred NESS. Harold married Margaret SPRING, daughter of Isaac M. SPRING & Ida MARTIN (Isaac was the s/o Peter SPRING & Margaret McCONKEY). Harold & Margaret had two children, Howard & Heather.
ii. Zedna NESS.
iii. Eleanore NESS.
THE WILL OF JOHN MACKENZIE NESS (Esquire) summary of probate -microfilm MS1387,
Probate costs: $48
executors: Frank Ness (his widow) and William H Hind (his son-in-law) of Toronto.
real estate valued at: $21,510.00
property #1: N ½ of lots 1,2 & 3 on N side of Eugenia St., plan 18, town of Barrie (93 Berczy) $4500
property#2: All of lot 62 on S side of Collier St., except the N 110 feet thereof in town of Barrie (Simcoe Hotel and garage in rear) $17,000
property #3: Lots 9 & 10 in block A, Barrie Union cemetery $10 (note: he is buried there)
Personal estate valued at $6961.73
clothing & jewelry - $75
household goods & furniture - $1800
stock in trade - $200
banks stocks & other stocks - $4875
cash in hand - $1.73
book debts & promissory notes - $10
life insurance, with Confederation Life - $1450
shares: 30 Durant Motor of Canada - $500; 40 Barrie Tanning Co - $4000; 10 Cdn Mortgage Investment Co - $500; 6 The Colonial Investment & Loan Co (Barrie) - $250; 25 Yorkshire Worsted (Barrie) - $250; 7 The Agricultural Joint Stock Co (Barrie) - $140
will (handwritten) was dated 15 April, 1914, he died 2 Oct, 1922
witnesses of will: Maggie Tooke, teacher in the town of Victoria Harbor & George Arthur Radenhurst of Barrie
named the following children:
Sarah, age 45 at the time of probate - by first wife
Martha, age 37 - by first wife
Edith May, age 32 - by second wife
Gladys Bay, age 25 - by second wife
His widow, Frank (Frances) was 60 years old
children not named: Lucretia (Craig) & John William & Hughena
Obituary of John M. NESS, Barrie Examiner, Thurs. 5 Oct., 1922
Barrie lost a highly respected resident with the death Monday afternoon of John M. NESS, proprietor of the Simcoe Hotel, He succombed to an attack of double pneumonia, which his system, weakened by a stroke incurred some months ago, was unable to withstand.
Mr. NESS represented a staunch type of citizenship. He was a fair, square man, loyal to principles and ideals. In his business he was known throughout the district as a man who kept hotel in the best sense of the word. He adopted a clean, high standard of hospitality and clung to it. And because of these things he made many friends in the community and fostered a spirit of genuineness among his patrons.
Mr. NESS was a native of Innisfil. He was born on lot 21, con 8, of that township, near Craigvale, where his father, a deep-sea sailor and a Scotchman, had retired from the sea to take up the plow. Farming, however, lost its appeal when he reached manhood and he took an early venture into the field of retail business, assuming charge of a general store at Bramley. Two years of store keeping was followed by a move to Barrie, and for the next ten yeras or so he was manager of the Wellington Hotel, subsequenetly purchasing the Simcoe Hotel outright, the ownership of which he held until his death.
Part of the deceased's life was spent in Owen Sound, and he was also identified in Barrie with a flourishing hack business, which he ran for several years. His pair of black carriage horses was one of the best looking turnouts in town.
Mr. NESS was married twice. His first wife, deceased, was Martha HARRISON of Bramley. In politics, Mr. NESS was a life-long Liberal.
Mr. NESS is survived by his second wife, who was Miss Frances JEBB of Cookstown, and by two daughters, Mrs. Verner S. HAMBLY of Barrie and Miss Gladys at home. His other children born from his first marriage include Mrs. J.F. CRAIG of Barrie, Miss Mattie NESS of Barrie, Mrs. William HIND of Toronto, and J.W. NESS of Barrie. Alex NESS of Allandale and Thomas NESS of Toronto are brothers of the deceased, who also has two half-brothers and a half-sister living. They are: Charles on the homestead in Innisfil, Fred NESS of Stroud, and Miss Lizzie NESS of Northern Ontario.
Mr. NESS was proprietor of the Simcoe Hotel for about forty years.
THe remains were carried to the grave by Alex NESS Sr., Thomas NESS, Alex COWAN, Alex FISHER, W.A. LOWE, and J. DICKIE. Rev. A.R. BEVERLEY officiated.
Will of Frederick Ness - microfilm MS1405, 1855, probate # 174
"being weak in body but sound in mind... to my wife Isabella NESS the full management of all my property, 50 acres of land, SE __ lot 21, 8th con, Innisfil twp., Simcoe Co... all goods & chattel until my youngest son Frederick comes to be 21 years of age..... then divide between oldest son David and Frederick but they must pay their mother 5 pounds 10 shillings per year". Frederick Ness signed the will with an "X"
executors of the will were John & Robert McCONKEY
probate listed the following property "found in the estate of Frederick Ness"
- 1 yoke of oxen
- 1 plough
- 1 ----- mill
- 3 sheep
- 1 bed, 1 table, 6 chairs
- 2 cows, 1 hefer 2 years old, 1 steer
my note: the obituary of William NESS states that he divided portion of lot 21, con 8 with his brother. The obituary does not give the name of the brother. I suspect that this Frederick NESS is the brother.
Other Ness lines in Ontario
John Ness died in Grimsby Ont., 16 Jan 1876 at age 75 yrs & 9 months. He was a farmer, Methodist, who had been born in Yorkshire, England. The informant on his death reg. was Horatio N. NESS of Smithville (reg # 7780-76)
David NESS, age 60, born Scotland, died in Toronto (217 Concord Dr) on June 29, 1910. He was married, a laborer, & died of pernicious anemia. (reg # 3879-10)
A John NESS & his wife Charlotte LEADER, of 23 Shirley St., Toronto, had a daughter who was born 4 Oct 1924 but died 23 Oct 1924 of acpostular? infection of the skin (death registration # 6114-1924)
Thomas NESS of 3458 Eastern Place in Detroit died at Hotel Dieu Hosptial in Windsor on 12 July 1935 at 2:15 p.m. of heat prostration. He was a married salesman (distributing light machines), born 21 July 1873 in Kirkcardy - Fifeshire Scotland, s/o Charles Wright NESS & Susan WHITTON. Buried in Detroit. Informant was son (no name given) of 3458 Eastern Place in Detroit. Death reg 14840-35
- Arthur Edward, June 28, 1905, St. Catherines #012665
- Sarah Jane, Dec. 28, 1905, King twp, #21049
- Ada, June 5, 1907, Smithville, #13576
- Edith, Feb. 13, 1907, Windsor, #8257
- Jean, June 12, 1907, no age given, born in Hamilton, no parents given, married Walter STEWART, carpenter, born in Ireland, resident of Hamilton, witn: Leslie R. NESS & Ada R. RENWICK, both of Hamilton, 12 June 1907 at Hamilton, reg #22084
- John William, Sept 5, 1907, Barrie, #18826
- Lilly Marion, Jan. 6, 1907, Brantford, # 5262
- Mabel, Dec. 25, 1906 - age 19, of Sandwich South, d/o Henry NESS (farmer) & Annie RODD married William Henry McDOWELL, 25, farm hand, of Sandwich twp., s/o William McDOWELL (farmer) & Jane SECORD
- Ida J. B., Aug. 12, 1909, age 46, lady, of Kingston, d/o Alexander NESS (banker) & Hellen WATSON, married Duncan J. ROBERTSON, 61, bachelor, farmer, of Martintown, s/o John ROBERTSON (farmer) & Margaret MacDOUGALL, at Kingston
- Mabel, Dec. 25, 1909, Sandwich South #9845
- Sophia Eader, Oct. 24, 1909 at Toronto, # 4184
- Jessie E., June 8, 1910, Winger, #23094
- Joseph, Sept 14, 1910, Toronto, #3868
- Mabel Marion, May 20, 1904, Merritton, #12033
- William, Nov. 2, 1904, Richmond Hill, #20563
- Ethel G., Oct. 20, 1903, Merritton, #12110
- Louise M., Sept. 26, 1903, age 23, born in Brantford, resident of St. George, d/o Joseph NESS & Marion CLOW, married Elmer Townsend McCUBBIN, 23, machinist, born in Hamilton, resident of Brantford, s/o Samuel McCUBBIN & Eliza McMALLEN, at Brantford
- Walter Scott, Sept 2, 1903, Vaughan twp., #20743
- William Franklin, Dec. 7, 1903, St. Catherines, #12223
- Emma, Feb. 12, 1902, Smithville (Lincoln Co), William S. GRIFFIN, 42, farmer, born in Gainsboro, res of South Grimsby, s/o George Erastus GRIFFIN & Maria Lucinda DAVIS, married Emma NESS, 32, born in & res of Smithville, d/o Horatio Nelson NESS & Jane ALCOCK, witn: H.N. NESS & Ellen GRIFFIN, both of Smithville,
- Sadie, March 19, 1902, Thornhill, #18831
- Thomas Henry, June 17, 1897, Ancaster, #15424
- Mary A., May 16, 1896, Hamilton, #13790
- Robert Ness, 36, builder, born in Canada, resident of St. Catherines, s/o John & Jane, married Beatrice OLIVER, 29, born in Canada, resident of Grantham twp., d/o George & Willamena, witnesses were Julia & Peter ADAMS of Pelham twp., 16 Oct 1872 at Grantham twp