AN HISTORICAL SKETCH of the Long Cane Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, By Nora Marshall Davis, M. A., D. Lit., Director of the Historical Markers Survey of South Carolina
Prepared for The Historical Markers Survey of South Carolina O. H. Doyle, Supervisor Nora M. Davis, Director
Printed by The Greenwood Index-Journal Company Greenwood, South Carolina 1941
Transferred to digital word processor by John Calvin Grier 1996, and reformatted for HTML by Lynne Bernard, 1998
It is a distinct privilege to write this forward for the historical sketch prepared and delivered by Dr. Nora Davis in connection with the historical meeting at old Long Cane Church on October 27,1940. The outstanding feature of this occasion was her paper prepared with painstaking care after thorough research setting forth the long and honorable history of this notable church of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Synod. The thoroughly scholarly character of this history makes it a work of outstanding worth. All of us who love old Long Cane owe to Dr. Davis a debt of continuing gratitude for the labor of love expended in the preparation of this interesting brochure.
R. C. Grier
Office of the President
Erskine College, Due West, S. C.
November 15, 1940
Fearful of more Indians and of worse barbarity, following the Cherokee and the Creek massacres, the people of the Long Canes settlement took refuge in such neighboring fortified places as they were able to reach, forts prepared for just such emergencies. In these forts the school house served also as a meeting house, where the inhabitants assembled for worship.
These forts, or blockhouses, afterward became churches. In an Act, dated February 7, 1780, the church at Fort Boone was incorporated "as the Presbyterian Church called Fort Boone congregation at Long Cane Settlement". Fort Long Cane became this church, the Lower Long Cane Associate Presbyterian church (subsequently the Associate Reformed Presbyterian church). Fort Long Cane, however, was a little less than a mile distant from here, a short distance east of the old mill formerly known as Gervais Mill, then Andrew McCombs' Mill, and now Bradley's Mill. Descending the Austin Davis hill on the eastern approach to Long Cane bridge, and looking across the ravine to the opposite hill, one can see the ruins of the old John Kennedy home, on the top of Fort Long Cane Hill.
About the time of the construction of these forts, Providence was shaping events in Ireland. On May 10, 1764, petitioned by members and friends who had preceded him to America, and influenced by favorable descriptions of New York by Robert Harper, of Kings College (Columbia University), Dr. Thomas Clark, with about one hundred families of his parishioners and neighbors, left Newry, Ireland, for America. Their arrival on the following 28th of July was announced in the New York Gazette of August 6th as follows:
"Last week in the Ship John, from Newry, Ireland, Luke Kiersted, master, there arrived about three hundred passengers, a hundred and forty of whom, together with the Rev. Clarke, embarked on the 30th ult., with their stores, farming and manufacturing utensils, in two sloops, for Albany, from whence they are to proceed to the lands near Lake George, which were lately surveyed for their accommodation, as their principal view is to carry on the linen and hempen manufacture to which they were all brought up."
The remainder, who did not go with Dr. Clark to Stillwater and subsequently to Salem, New York, formed the nucleus of Little Run, Long Cane, and Cedar Creek (later Cedar Springs) churches. Dr. Clark and his congregation are said to be the only known ecclesiastical body that came to America as an entirety, pastor, ruling elders, and communicants, with no break in their religious services.
Long Cane Associate Reformed Presbyterian church was organized in 1771 as Associate Presbyterian church. Whether Dr. Clark visited this part of his congregation when he came to the Waxhaws for three weeks in 1770 in obedience to Presbyterys order of November, 1769, is not definitely stated in available records; but the centennial memorial exercises to Dr. Clark at the meeting of Synod at Long Cane in 1871 give credence to the natural supposition that he did visit his people at Long Cane during his three weeks stay at Waxhaw, and that this church was organized in 1771. Dr. Clark, in 1779, again visited, this time by order of the Presbytery, that part of his former congregation which settled in Abbeville County, S. C.; yet no records show the organization of a church on this visit. When he again visited the congregation, in 1782, Long Cane is listed among the churches at which he preached.
The first stated supply of Long Cane Meeting House was the Rev. William Ronaldson (sometimes written Donaldson), who came to America in 1773. The Rev. William Martin, who came to America in 1772, from Ballymena, Ireland, and who was pastor at Catholic church, Chester county, preached at Long Cane some time between 1772 and 1775. Whether other visiting ministers did we have found no record. The Rev. William Ronaldson was the stated supply from 1774 to 1781, at the same time he was stated supply at Joppa and at Poplar Springs, Georgia. This term of service at these churches is supported by Dr. Lathan's statement that it is probable that from the fall of 1779 to the summer of 1782, there was no Associate minister in the South, in good and regular standing, except a Mr. Ronaldson. Because of Mr. Ronaldsons strong Tory sentiments, he was requested to discontinue his preaching at Long Cane.
Very little has been recorded about this Rev. William Ronaldson. He was a man of wealth and influence; was born, educated and licensed in Scotland, and was ordained at Scavvagh, near Loughbrickland, in 1759. As previously stated, he came to America in 1773, and became a member of the Associate Synod. He served as stated supply at Joppa, Jefferson county, Georgia, at Poplar Springs, Georgia, and at Long Cane, South Carolina, 1774-1781. After being banished from these charges for his objectionable Tory views, he returned to Charleston, South Carolina, where he died of ship fever, 1783.
For lack of time, no attempt is made to give even an incomplete list of the Revolutionary soldiers of this church. The very fact that the Rev. William Ronaldson was dismissed because of his Tory sentiments - was told that he need not preach to them any more - is proof that this church espoused the cause of the colonies.
Evidently the Rev. John Jamieson, who came to America in November, 1783, supplied here sometime during 1784. Synod records state that he preached for a year among the churches in the South; and the fact that he carried to Synod, May 1785, the request of a number of people in and about Mecklenburg and Rowan counties, N. C., and Rocky Creek, Cannons Creek and Long Cane, S. C., who are "destitute of a settled ministry to be taken under the judicial care of this Synod" proves unquestionably that he had preached among these churches thus petitioning.
Long Cane's next pastor was the Rev. Thomas Clark, M. D. Soon after his release, at his own request, from his Salem, New York, congregation in 1782, Dr. Clark again visited this congregation, and spent the remainder of that year, 1782, and the greater part of 1783 in the congregation of Long Cane, Little Run (Little River) and Cedar Springs (organized in 1782 and then called Cedar Creek). Sometime during the summer of 1783, he returned North and identified himself with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (organized in 1782); and during the next two years he labored as a missionary among the churches of this branch in the North.
In May, 1785, Long Cane Church and others destitute of a settled ministry desired to be taken under the care of the Associate Reformed Synod; whereupon the Synod Resolved, "That the desire of these people be complied with, and that the Second Presbytery be directed to take them under their immediate change, and that Mr. Clark and Mr. Houleston be appointed to supply the people in North Carolina and South Carolina as soon in the fall as practicable".
Dr. Clark came South sometime during the latter part of that year (1785) and began to labor permanently, as subsequent events proved, in Abbeville County.
On June 1, 1786, at the meeting of the Associate Reformed Synod, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a call to the Rev. Thomas Clark, with a petition from the united congregations of Little Run, Long Cane, and Cedar Creek (Cedar Springs) to admit the said Dr. Clark to the pastoral charge of the said congregations was read. This call had previously been made out, March 7, 1786, and, according to tradition was signed by Robert Foster, John Cochran (two of those who had accompanied him from Ireland), Elijah Sinclair, and a Mr. Patterson. Synod sustained the call; and as Dr. Clark was then laboring among the very people who petitioned for his settlement as pastor, Synod directed that he continue to labor among them till provision be made for his regular installment.
Since Dr. H. T. Sloan, who had the Minutes before him when he wrote his sketch of the two churches, states that the Minutes contained no record of an installation service, the natural inference is that Dr. Clark refused to be installed on the same ground that he had refused a similar service at the Salem, New York congregation: that he had been installed pastor at Ballibay, Ireland, July 23, 1751, and that the relationship had not been severed. That he was not installed is given definite support by the fact that at the meeting of the Presbytery of the Carolinas and Georgia at Long Cane, June, 1791, a request was made for the installation of Dr. Clark over these two churches. Dr. Clark died the following December, and there is no known record of his installation between June and December.
During Dr. Clark's pastorate, a larger and better church replaced on the same site the original log church. The enthusiasm of the pastor was shared by the members. All the nails in that new church were wrought. Too, tradition relates that Miss Jennie Young, who lived where Mr. Cowan Young now lives, forded Long Cane Creek each day with warm dinner for the workmen, a deed that is still a memorial unto her.
The tradition that this church was built on the James Hutcherson Survey is supported by the fact that the land of Mary Hutcherson, his daughter, bounds the property on almost all sides; and also by the fact that additional land was given by Mary's estate to the Church. John Creswell was a chain-bearer when the additional land was laid off. Mary Hutcherson's mother was a daughter of William Robinson, an elder in the Church; and Mary's home stood just beyond the church yard. In her home was a prophet's chamber, which was frequently occupied by visiting ministers.
Dr. Clark's last sermon was preached at Long Cane Meeting House, December 25, 1791. On the same day he read the citation of the death of Robert McCarter. Dr. Clark died in the evening of the following day, December 26, 1791. (His probated will and the sale of property and the notice of his death in the Charleston Gazette prove that he died in 1791, NOT 1792, as is frequently stated). On his desk, at which he was found dying, was A Pastoral and Farewell Letter to the Associate Congregation of Presbyterians in Ballibay, Ireland, the last sentence of which was, What I do thou knowest not now, but shalt know hereafter. Thus passed a man whose godly example was his best advise, a man of great eccentricities, but wholly devoted to the cause of Christ, and in active labors exceeding abundant.
Following Dr. Clark's death, Long Cane had supplies for four years. During the first year, The Rev. Peter McMillan (frequently written McMullan in American records), pastor of Due West, supplied as often as he could. At the October 12, 1795 meeting of Presbytery at Cedar Springs, Long Cane and Cedar Springs presented a call for the Rev. William Dickson; this call, however was not accepted.
In the meantime, the Rev. Alexander Porter, born (in 1770) and reared near Parsons Mount (so called from the owner of this mount and surrounding land, James Parson, a lawyer, of Charleston), Abbeville County, the first native-born minister of the Presbytery of the Carolinas and Georgia, has completed his literary and his theological training at Dickinson College, Pennsylvania. Having been licensed to preach by the Second Associate Reformed Presbytery of Pennsylvania, he returned home and began to preach at Long Cane and Cedar Springs, January 1, 1797. On March 22, 1797, a call was moderated for him, signed by the following members:
William Hill, Adam Hill, Simon Beard, Hugh Beard, Robert Smith, Pat Quin, John Campbell, Nat Weed, Reuben Weed, William Dale, Jr., James Nelson, William McDonald, Jr., Peter Totten, William Deal, Sr., Andrew White, Jr., Matthew Shanks, Adam Beard, Samuel Patterson, John Wilson, John Beard, John Kown, David Wiley, Thomas Wiley, John Learry, Robert Jones, James Hawthorn, William Pressly, Samuel Spence, Thomas Jordan, Angus Massey, Henery (Henry?) Weems, Thomas McBride, George Hearst, James McBride, Hugh McBride, Thomas McMillan, Gilbert Wilson, William Stewart, John Foster, Joseph Jones, John Young, James Foster, Jr.
Also, David Kenedy (Kennedy?), Nathanial Weed, Sr., Samuel McClinton, George Con, John Hearst, John Devlin, Thomas Mealey, David Cochran, Archibald Thompson, Jane Vickery, Bart. Weems, Sr., James Foster, Sr., Mary Black, Robert Crawford, Andrew Paul, John Lesley, Samuel Young, Robert Margey, William Black, Andrew Jones, John Morrow, Sr., James McBride, Jane Patten, John White, William Cochran, George Macbeath, Robert McMical, Samuel Leard, James Foster, John Waddle, Andrew English, Jr., Samuel Foster, Sr., James Cochran, Archibald Thompson, Jr., Samuel McClinton, Sr., Samuel McClinton, Jr., Robert Bradford, Mary Ann Nannaway, John McCullough, Rosanah McKinney, Marget Riley, Jane Hannah, Edward Wailes, Mary Boggs, Griel Findley, James Smith, John Kown, William Fife, James Gray, Jr., James Patterson, Charles Beaty, John Beaty, Jr., Andrew Cochran, James Thompson, John McClinton, Archibald Morison, Hugh McCullough, Alexander Patterson, William McBride, John Robertson, John McBride, Thomas McBride, James McCormick, John Gilmer, John Deal, William Etward, Samuel Leard, Abraham Little, Thomas Hearst, Timothy Russell, John Miller, John Cooey (Couey?), James Conn, Agnes Irwen, Elizabeth Boggs, Elias Gibson, John Pressly, John McGaw, James Bonner, John Leard, John Thompson, Andrew McCormick, Robert Taylor, Michel McClimmins, Mary Glasgow, Andrew Ewart, John Campbell, Pat Bradley, James McMillan, George McFarlin, Ann Lessly, John Patterson, Pat Gibson, Jr., James Shanks, William Buck, John Beaty, Sr., Francis Hunter.
Also James Gray, Sr., Margaret Meaben, James Hawthorn, Martha Downey, Elizabeth Chalmers, Andrew Paul, Samuel Foster, Jr., Samuel McClinton, James McClinton, Robert Gibson, John Gibson, Joseph Couey, Hugh McCormick, Gennit Quin, Alexander Spence, Arthur McCrery, Alexander Clark, John Tygart, Robert Hearst, John Diffur, John Douglas, James Foster, Jr., John Gaston, William Nelson, James Young, Robert Kewn, Robert Foster, James Lesley, Agnes Rogers, Collen Forbis, James Forbis, Frederick Hart, Malcolm Kays, Robert Corley, William Foster, Enos Crawford, Jr., William Norris, William Clark, William White, Robert Cravin, Rowland Kewn, Anthony Tittle, John McBride, William McDonald, William Henderson, William Robinson, Jane Patten, Arthur Morrow, Sr., Arthur Morrow, Jr., James Morrow, John Morrow, Jr., John Black, Joseph Hearst, John Anderson, David Anderson, Alexander Gaston, John Kewn, John Beard, John Wilson, James McBride, John Morrow, Thomas Lindsey, Joseph (James?) Lindsey, Robert McDonald, John Pinkerton, Simon Beard, Samuel Stewart, James Anderson, Samuel Pressly.
Mr. Porter was installed pastor of these two churches, April 2, 1798, at Long Cane. Rev. John Hemphill, D. D., delivered the charge to both pastor and people. Thus was devolved on the youthful pastor the herculean labors of one of the largest (charges) in the Presbytery.
Return for a moment to the boyhood of the Rev. Alexander Porter, who was made fatherless when a very young boy. After the fall of Charleston, and while the people were still in the old Pickens Block House at Abbeville, The following men were sent to Coronaca Creek for a much-needed supply of corn: Hugh Porter, the Rev. Alexander Porters father, Jared Liddle (Liddell), Enos Crawford, Andrew White, Matthew Thompson, James Beard, a Mr. Smith, a Mr. Finley, John Pickens, a brother of General Pickens, and others. Soon after crossing McCord's Ferry in the early morning, they were attacked, when ascending the hill leading up to where Mr. West Cromer subsequently lived, by a party of Tories; Enos Crawford, Hugh Porter, and John Pickens were killed on the spot.
Many of the important transactions of the Second Presbytery are identified with either Long Cane or Cedar Springs, since fifteen meetings in fourteen years (Presbytery convened more often then than now) were held at these two churches, although the Presbytery included forty-three churches from Mecklinburg, North Carolina, to Louisville, Georgia. Doubtless the somewhat central location of these churches accounts for this. In subsequent years these churches had a vital connection with Erskine College and the Seminary: Cedar Springs is inseparably linked with the first and third steps in the establishment of these institutions; and at Long Cane the second and intermediate step was taken, March 1831, when the Rev. Samuel Pressly and the Rev. E. E. Pressly were appointed a Committee "to consider the propriety of establishing within our bounds an Academy for the particular purpose of training up youth for the sacred office." At King's Creek, April, 1825, Synod resolved to establish an institution for the education of young men for the ministry, and had appointed Dr. John Hemphill, of Chester, Professor of Didactic and Polemic Theology; and Dr. John T. Pressly, of Cedar Springs and Long Cane, Professor of Original Languages, Biblical Criticism, and Church History. The young men spent six months in special study at the homes though many miles apart, of the respective teachers. After Dr. Hemphill's resignation in 1827, Dr. John T. Pressly was appointed, November, 1827, sole Professor of Theology in the Seminary established by the Synod. In 1831 Dr. John T. Pressly's acceptance of the presidency of the Allegheny Seminary left our church without a Professor and without a Seminary (which had been Dr. Pressly's home at Cedar Springs); hence this second step taken at Long Cane in 1831.
The Rev. Alexander Porter resigned the Long Cane charge, September 15, 1803, on account of his weak state of health and the uncommon largeness of his charge. After he notified the congregation of his anticipated resignation, a congregational meeting was called at the home of Mr. James McBryde to determine upon a plan of procedure; none being agreed upon, a meeting was next appointed at Cedar Springs, when a majority present resolved to divide the charge. Cedar Springs then petitioned Presbytery for Mr. Porter as stated supply. Mr. Porter was accordingly released from Long Cane, September 15, 1803, and accepted the call to Cedar Springs alone, at a call meeting, January, 1804, on condition that he be allowed eight Sabbaths.
Long Cane was so much dissatisfied with this arrangement that the congregation, at the same meeting at which the relation was dissolved, September 15, 1803, asked for a certificate, which was granted, but which the congregation did not subsequently use.
Unfortunately, from this date until February 28, 1828, the Church experienced a period of lean years, a period of internal strife. After Long Cane withdrew from Cedar Springs, Robert Irwin and Isaac Grier, who had been ordained in 1802, were appointed to supply this Church, one day each, during the winter. When Presbytery met at Cedar Springs, March 1805, Long Cane petitioned for the administration of the Lord's Supper, catechizing, and a supply of sermon, which request was granted and Mr. Porter was appointed to assist. In April, 1805, the congregation prepared a call for Robert Kerr, of one of the Pennsylvania Presbyteries, and forwarded it to the General Synod, but it was returned to the Synod of the Carolinas. About twelve families, it is said, continuing dissatisfied because they were too far to attend Cedar Springs, and because they received few supplies at Long Cane, eventually withdrew from this church and joined Hopewell, a neighboring Southern Presbyterian church.
The remnant was torn, partly, at least, because of a different ecclesiastical influence that was brought to bear upon the members: one part was inclined to Southern Presbyterianism and Hymnody; the other part remained true to the church of their fathers and Psalmody. The Rev. W. R. Hemphill, had, in 1799, introduced and the church adopted the following addition to its rules adopted in 1797: "Nor shall any composure merely human, be sung in any of the Associate Reformed Churches". Their use of hymns, therefore, was in direct violation of the rules of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian church. A number of Presbyterian ministers during this period preached here; they obtained permission, however, on condition that they would always give place to the Associate Reformed ministers. The Rev. Henry Reid preached for a time, pursuing the temporizing policy of Psalms one half the day and Hymns the other half, which was followed with the usual disastrous results to the cause of an inspired Psalmody, and the peace of the Church. Dr. Moses Waddel, the Rev. Mr. Carter, and the Rev. Mr. Boyle also preached here occasionally.
This condition brought about a definite but temporary schism in the Church. Dr. Howe gives the following record of those inclined to Hymnody:
At the meeting of Presbytery of South Carolina at Fairforest, September 25th, 1812, a petition from Lower Long Cane congregation, formerly attached to the Seceders or Associate Reformed, praying to be taken under its care was laid before that body. This church had preferred a request to Presbytery at a previous meeting held at Duncan's Creek, 1812, for the ordination of Mr. Henry Reid, who, probably, had been preaching to them as a licentiate. The Presbytery regarded itself constitutionally barred from attending to the spirit of the petition, perhaps because that church was not under its jurisdiction. After mature deliberation had thereon, the prayer of the supplication was granted and their elder, Robert McCullough, was invited to a seat in Presbytery. (Minutes of Second Presbytery of South Carolina, September 26, 1812).The Presbytery seems to have proceeded with some measure of caution. It could not view the petition of Lower Long Cane in the light of a call from that people for the ordination of Mr. Reid as their pastor, yet it appeared to be their desire that the ordination should take place for that purpose. Upon the whole, taking into consideration the peculiar situation of that congregation, they resolved that should a regular call for Mr. Reid be brought from that people to Presbytery at their next stated sessions (Mr. Reid having intimated that he would accept it) they would proceed to his examination. A call was regularly presented at their next meeting and Mr. Reids trials were entered upon. The Committee, Messrs. Andrew Brown, Hugh Dickson, and Wm. H. Barr, to whom his lecture and sermon were submitted, reported unfavorably upon them at a pro re nata meeting at Varennes, April 30, 1813, as advancing doctrines at variance with our standards, the symbols of our faith, and the word of God.
After the presentation of this report and its formidable array of divergencies from our standards of doctrine, Mr. Reid was called forward, and after a lengthy and amicable conference, with some explanations, he disavowed (as he had done previously at his licensure) the sentiments which were considered exceptionable. At a pro re nata meeting at Lower Long Cane Creek Church, May 12th, 1813, Mr. Reid was ordained and installed, Doctor Waddel, presiding, Wm. H. Barr, preaching the ordination sermon, from Ezek. iii, 17, and a suitable charge being given to the newly ordained minister and the congregation. At the meeting the Rev. Alexander Porter, of the Associate Reformed Church was present as a Corresponding member.
In the minutes of the General Assembly, of May, 1814, Lower Long Cane was reported among the churches of the Presbytery of South Carolina, and Henry Reid as its pastor.
At the October sessions, Mr. Reid obtained leave to spend three-fourths of his time, till the next stated sessions, without the bounds of the Presbytery, it being understood that it was with the concurrence of the congregation over which he had been installed. On November 4th, 1814, Mr. Reid was dismissed from the pastoral charge of Lower Long Cane, and from the Presbytery, to join the Presbytery of Hopewell, and Lower Long Cane became vacant, and it was so reported in the Assembly's minutes of 1819.
The remnant of the Church that had continued faithful to the church of their fathers and to Psalmody, however, regularly sought the Word and Ordinances at the hands of the Associate Reformed Presbytery. They petitioned Presbytery at Cedar Springs, March, 1815, for the moderation of a call for the Rev. Robert Irwin as stated supply. Cedar Springs made a similar request; and at the ensuing meeting of Presbytery the joint call to Mr. Irwin was presented. Strange to say, however, the support promised was deemed by the Presbytery not sufficient, and the call was never put into the hands of Mr. Irwin.
During this season of destitution the members adopted an excellent practice of meeting on Sabbath at the home of an elder or of a member in different sections for prayer and praise, reading and catechetical instruction, and occasionally the reading of a sermon from some book.
In September, 1815, Long Cane petitioned Presbytery for preaching and for the ordination of elders.
Both Long Cane and Cedar Springs petitioned Presbytery for the moderation of a call for the Rev. John T. Pressly, who had been born and reared in that community, and who had been licensed at Cedar Springs, July 3, 1816. For some unstated reason, the call was made out to Cedar Springs alone. Presbytery, however, directed the pastor installed to supply Long Cane if requested.
In April, 1823, Long Cane petitioned Presbytery for one-fourth of the Rev. John T. Presslys time; but since "the congregation of Cedar Springs is able and desirous to retain the whole of Mr. Pressly's ministerial labor, and are unwilling to give up, statedly, and portion", the Presbytery, at its December, 1823 meeting at Cedar Springs, Resolved that "it is not expedient, under existing circumstances, to grant the petition of Long Cane". Dr. Pressly and others, nevertheless, continued to give Long Cane occasional supplies.
About 1825 or 1826, the tide of emigration to the west and southwest so greatly weakened the two congregations, especially Cedar Springs, that the two congregations were again united, at the petition of Long Cane on February 28, 1828.
Dr. Pressly resigned this charge, November 10, 1831, to accept the presidency of Allegheny Seminary, Pittsburgh, Pa. Following his resignation, the two churches experienced a somewhat long period of destitution. This time, Nullification was the disturbing factor, dividing the neighborhood and antagonizing families. Dr. H. T. Sloan's moral, when later commenting upon this political disturbance in the church may not be amiss today when petty politics and selfish ambitions too frequently motivate the conduct of church officials and of church members: "May this condition prove a warning to all others to keep out of party politics and forget not to serve the Lord".
In January, 1834, these churches made out a call for the Rev. John G. Witherson, a probationer of the First Presbytery; this call, however, was not accepted.
In November, 1835, they addressed a similar call to The Rev. James L. Young; he too, declined. During 1836, the Rev. W. R. Hemphill, son of the Rev. John Hemphill, and a probationer of the First Presbytery, came, by order of Synod, and preached four Sabbaths and one week-day. Then he returned to the Allegheny Seminary to complete his studies. In November of the same year, Presbytery sustained a call for him, which call had been carried up to the First Presbytery by Col. John Hearst. Dr. Hemphill accepted sometime during that winter and arrived at the home of Dr. G. W. Pressly, June 28, 1837, and was ordained at Cedar Springs, December 6, 1837.
Long Cane and Cedar Springs had no deacons until the Rev. W. R. Hemphill's pastorate. Prior to this time, a Collector was appointed in each Elder's Quarter, who was met on the first Wednesday of July and of January annually in their own quarter, and those that could not pay in July must be positive in January or they must give their note to the Collector and those who will not comply with these terms must give up their seat in the Meeting House.
Sometime during his pastorate, the Rev. W. R. Hemphill preached on the subject of deacons, and had the following deacons ordained: W. K. Bradley, David McLain, Andrew P. Weed, and John McCreary, all of whom are still listed as deacons, March 9, 1850.
In October, 1848, the Rev. W. R. Hemphill was elected by the Synod to the Chair of Latin in Erskine college, which position he accepted; and he demitted the Long Cane and Cedar Springs charge. Of him it is said, "He measured up to the standard of pastoral excellence furnished by his predecessors".
A call was prepared, March 9, 1850 for Dr. H. T. Sloan, who had been licensed, September 22, 1848. He accepted the call, placed in his hands, September 19, 1850, and signed by the following heads of families:
Elders: George W. Pressly, John Devlin, John Bradley, James Drennan, Archibald Kennedy, Robert Drennan, James Harper Foster, Pat H. Bradley.
Deacons: A. P. Weed, W. R. Bradley, John McCreary, David McCain.
Heads of Families: J. J. Devlin, Robert Devlin, M. D., A. Bradley, Thomas McDill, John Faulkner, William Gibson, James Lessly, John E. Pressly, S. B. McClinton, R. W. Lites, David Wiley, Thomas McBride, William Watson, Leroy Purdy, John Creswel, John Robinson, Jr., F. B. Robinson, Matthew Goodwin, William Cowan, J. W. Hearst, J. L. Devlin, J. J. Shanks, Adam Wideman, John Brown, T. F. Lanter, Samuel Jordan, J. B. Adamson, Simpson Evans, A. S. Evans, Samuel Goodwin, J. P. Kennedy, J. L. Pressly, John McDonald, Harvey Drennan, A. B. Young, E. J. Kennedy, John R. Martin, James C. Martin, William Fell, John Robinson, A. L. Wideman, David Morrah, A. P. Conner, James Richey, T. M. Chiles, J. L. Hearst, Bartholomy Jordan, John Bradley, Jr., George Young, Josiah Patterson, Andrew Brown, John M. Young, John Watson, William McDonnald, James Creswell, William Davis, James McGill, A. P. Evans, A. Little, Isiah McCormick, A. B. Boyd, Alexander Stewart, Wilson Watkins, James W. Frazier, Samuel Agner, J. L. Morrow, Isaac Kennedy, J. L. Little, Bird Bluford, Joseph Creswell, William Robinson, J. C. Lindsay, John Creswell, Joseph McBride, Jonathan Jordan, George Davis, D. W. C. Tollotson. (There was a total membership of 233; 216 white and 17 colored members).
Dr. Sloan's ordination and installation took place at Long Cane on the first of November following. The Rev. J. Galloway preached the sermon; the Rev. E. E. Pressly ordained the pastor; the Rev. J. P. Pressly addressed the pastor; and the Rev. W. R. Hemphill, addressed the people.
After preaching a special sermon to the children, December 15, 1850, from Ecclesiastes 12:1, "Remember now thy creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them", Dr. Sloan organized on that day the first Sabbath School at Long Cane. Henceforth, Sabbath School was held regularly except during two months in mid-winter. Dr. Sloan himself served as Superintendent until 1885, and during the years 1889 and 1891.
In 1855, Long Cane lost its last charter member, Miss Ann McCracken, at the age of 92 years.
This present building was constructed during Dr. Sloan's pastorate, Mr. Henry Jones, contractor, and dedicated by Dr. Sloan, July 20, 1856. The text of his dedicatory sermon was Habakkuk 2:20, "But the Lord is in His Holy Temple; let all the earth keep silent before Him". The structure remains as originally built except for one change: a part of the amen corners was made into small rooms that you see on each side of the pulpit. This change was made about 1892, after the church discontinued the use of the Session House, which served also as a school house, and which stood in the edge of the woods just back of the church and across the present road (the old road ran in front of the church). The Session House was sold to Mr. John Brown, and the money received was used in adding the two small rooms previously mentioned. Mrs. J. P. Crawford says they were built by a Mr. Patterson, of Anderson county, then living at the old Bradley place.
The Long Cane and Cedar Springs congregation showed its patriotism and suffered its losses during the Confederate War. The Church observed June 6, 1861, as a day of fasting and prayer, a day set apart by President Davis to be observed by the Confederate States of North America. The preaching service was held at Long Cane.
The pastor, Dr. H. T. Sloan, left home for camp about the middle of August, 1861, (was appointed chaplain, July 20, 1861), as Chaplain in Orrs regiment. During his absence, the two churches were supplied chiefly by the Rev. W. L. Pressly and the Rev. J. H. Myers. Dr. Sloan was at home on furlough, March 16, 1862; and on the following August 1, he was reported as having returned home, "very much emaciated by sickness and exposure in the camp of the Confederate Army."
The following members died or were killed in service:
John Bradley, Jr., enlisted April 4, 1862, Co. G, Fourteenth Regt. Infantry; killed in battle of Ox Hill, Virginia, Sept 1, 1862. James M. Kennedy, enlisted April 15, 1861, Co. C, Seventh Regt. Infantry; killed at Sharpsburg, Maryland, Sept. 17,1862. John McQuinns, enlisted April 15, 1861, Co. C, Seventh Regt. Infantry; wounded, Sept. 13 1862, at Maryland Heights; and died there October 1, 1862. James M. Purdy, enlisted January 3, 1862, Co. H, Nineteenth Regt. Infantry; died of disease at Danville, Kentucky, September 30, 1862 Thomas Jordan, died in hospital in Richmond. (No record in Historical Commission of South Carolina - Confederate Records are incomplete). Thomas M. Chiles, enlisted May 14, 1862, Adjutant in Seventh Regt. Infantry; wounded at the battle of Maryland Heights, Sept 13, 1862, and killed in battle at Sharpsburg, September 17, 1862. William Gibson, died of disease contracted in camp below Charleston. (No record in Historical Commission). Samuel P. McGaw, enlisted July 20, 1861, Co. B First Regt. Rifles (Orrs Regt.); died at Lynchburg, Virginia, Dec 11, 1862. George Austin Davis, died in Reeds Hospital, Lynchburg, Virginia, Dec. 21, 1862, of quinsy. Buried in old Methodist cemetery there. (No record in Historical Commission). James A. Wilson, died April 20, 1863, in Richmond, Virginia hospital. (No record in Historical Commission). J. D. Malone, enlisted July 20, 1861 (3rd Cpl.), Co. B, First Regt. Rifles (Orrs Regt.); Killed in battle of Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863. J. F Martin, enlisted July 20, 1861, Co. B, First Regt. Rifles (Orrs Regt.); killed in battle of Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863. William Bradley, enlisted August 17, 1861 (3rd Cpl.) Co. G, Fourteenth Regt. Infantry; died May 20, 1863, from wounds received at Chancellorsville May 3, 1863 Henry D. Gray, enlisted August 15, 1861, Co. G, First Regt. Rifles (Orrs Regt.); killed in battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, July 3, 1863. John A. Weed, died at Staunton, Virginia, July 11, 1863. (No record in Historical Commission). Lieut. J. T. Jordan, (according to church record), mortally wounded at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; died July 3, 1863. (The Historical Commission gives no verifying record; it gives the following service of a James Turner Jordan, Pvt.: Enlisted July 20, 1861, Co. B, First Regt. Rifles (Orrs Regt.) ; wounded at Fredericksburg; furloughed home; detailed in hospital at Richmond and later in Quartermaster Dept.; served throughout the war). J. C. Martin, died at Petersburg, Virginia, October 4, 1863 - age 26. (No record in Historical Commission). Robert McClair, enlisted September 23, 1861, Co. C, Seventh Regt. Infantry; killed in battle near Chattanooga, Tenn., September 24, 1863. J. H. Morris, enlisted January 28, 1864, Co. B, Fifth Regt. S. C. Cavalry; wounded in battle of Trevillian Station, June 12, 1864; died in hospital of wounds June 23, 1864. Thomas C. Bradley, enlisted July 1, 1862 (4th Cpl.), Co. C, Sixth Cavalry; killed in battle of Trevillian Station, June 12, 1864. John Bickett, killed below Richmond, Virginia, January 28, 1864. (No record in Historical Commission). Robert Drennan, killed near Petersburg, Virginia, July, 1864.
On Monday afternoon, September 18, 1871, during the meeting of Synod at Long Cane, Synod celebrated the centenary of the organization of Long Cane congregation. Drs. Boyce and Hemphill, and the Rev. A. R. Ross. the Rev. David Pressly, and the Rev H. T. Sloan made short addresses. Mrs. W. R. Bowen, a ten-year-old eyewitness, said recently that the ministers gathered about the two old oak trees (one of these was killed by lightning a few years ago; the other, though damaged, is still standing) at the back of the church where benches had been placed for the occasion, and where as the speaker stated, Dr. Clark had first preached one hundred years ago. After the talks made at the two trees, Dr. Clark's tree-pulpit, the ministers, clad in long black Prince Albert coats and tall beaver hats, and many with long beard almost to their waist, filed two abreast along the east side of the church and entered from the front.
Long Cane church organized a Foreign Missionary Society, April 4, 1874, with the following officers: Dr. H. T. Sloan, president; David McClain, first vice president; P. H. Bradley, second vice president; J. L. Pressly, third vice president; E. W. Watson, secretary; J. H. Chiles, treasurer; and A. T. Wideman, J. J. Shanks, W. K. Bradley, Wm. P. Kennedy and S. B. McClinton, executive committee. On August 30, 1874, this society agreed upon the following objects:
1. The establishing of Foreign Missions. 2. The support of Foreign Missions with their means. 3. Cooperation with the United Presbyterian Church. 4. Selection of field to be left to choice of Synod.
During his pastorate, Dr. Sloan organized three churches: Lodimont, Troy, and Bradley. In the spring of 1875 Dr. Sloan organized a new congregation in Abbeville County, Lodimont (Mt. Carmel), with 23 members, of whom three were elders and two were deacons. Lodimont, once called Little River, was a community church organized sometime prior to 1805; but on May 8, 1875, it became an Associate Reformed Presbyterian church, presided over by Dr. H. T. Sloan. On Saturday, May 14, 1881, the Session of Long Cane and Cedar Springs voted to build a church at Troy, for the benefit of members in that quarter of the congregation, and the following were appointed to investigate and make arrangements: Capt. P. H. Robinson, S. O. Young, P. H. Bradley, William P. Kennedy, A. B. Kennedy, James Truitt, Dr. J. D. Neel, R. W. Lites, and A. T. Wideman. The church was completed by the spring of 1882, and the congregation organized June 4, 1882, with thirty-three charter members, only one of whom is now living, W. H. Robinson, of Troy. Frederick C. Cook, and J. N. Dendy were elected ruling elders; and R. W. Lites, R. J. Robinson, A. B. Kennedy, and W. C. Robinson were elected deacons. The Bradley church, says Mrs. M. Bradley, in her sketch of that church, was organized in 1887, and was made part of Dr. Sloan's charge; on January 13, 1892, Cedar Springs and Bradley became one charge, and Long Cane was henceforth an independent charge. Although Dr. Sloan did not organize the Abbeville church, Nov. 25, 1889, nine of the fourteen charter members were from the Long Cane and Cedar Springs congregation.
No colored members are reported from Long Cane and Cedar Springs after 1880.
The Centennial of the organization of the Presbytery of the Carolinas and Georgia, organized at Cedar Springs meeting house, February 24, 1790, was held at Long Cane, February 24, 1890, because says Dr. Sloan we had held a centennial of the congregation at Cedar Springs in 1879 (it was held there June 21, 1879). Dr. Lathan says it was organized at Long Cane, which was a term generally applied to the whole area of Abbeville County, in which area both churches, under one pastorate, were located. (Notice that Dr. Lathan does not say Long Cane Meeting House. Dr. Sloan, who quoted from the minutes, which he states were before him, and which unfortunately have since been lost or destroyed, and old Dr. S. A. Agnew, one of the best informed men of his day, say that this Presbytery was organized at Cedar Springs meeting house. At this centennial celebration Dr. Sloan presided and the following men were the principal speakers: the Rev. James A. Lowry responded to Dr. Sloan's words of welcome; Dr. Robert Lathan made the historical address; Dr. J. E. Pressly spoke on Secession Churches of Ireland and Scotland, their Doctrines and Trials; Dr. J. I. McCain, The Reformation; and Dr. E. E. Boyce, Necrology. On motion of Dr. Lathan, the Centennial meeting adjourned to meet at Cedar Springs, Abbeville county, on 24th of February, 1990.
On account of failing health, Dr. Sloan resigned this charge in 1890. Dr. G. W. Pressly frequently entered in his business Ledger the following comments, after giving Dr. Sloans text: "excellent sermon, a wonderful discourse, a most melting and sweet discourse, etc". A long pastorate, such as was Dr. Sloan's, with enduring love and abiding reverence and influence, is a tribute to both pastor and people.
On December 5, 1891, the Rev. R. F. Bradley became pastor of Long Cane church. On the following January 13, 1892, as previously stated, Cedar Springs and Long Cane again separated: Long Cane has since remained an independent charge; and Cedar Springs and Bradley thereafter formed one charge.
While pastor at Long Cane church, the Rev. R. F. Bradley began to publish monthly a two-page paper entitled The Psalm Singer. With his press in the third story of his home, with his oldest son, W. R. Bradley, as Printers Devil, and with himself as editor and chief contributor, he published for two years, 1885-1886, this small paper, after which time he sold it to the Rev. George Warrington, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. It had the honor of proposing the first Pan Psalmody Council, held in Belfast, Ireland.
During the World War, 1917-1918, the following young men enlisted for service:
Bowen, John Creswell, SCNG, June 15, 1916, CAC 5 Co. NCNG CAC 10 Co. C Def of Charleston to Dec. 10, 1917; Battery B 61 Artillery CAC to discharge. Mec. June 15, 1916; Corp. August 23, 1917; Sgt. Sept. 5 1917; 1 Sgt. May 5, 1918. AEF July 17, 1918 to Feb. 17, 1919. Honorably discharged March 3, 1919. Bradley, Eustice Uel, 2 Lt. FA from ORC Ft. Myer, Va. Tng. Cp. 12 FA to May 20, 1918; 318 FA to Nov. 2, 1918; 137 FA to discharge. Cp Lee, Va.; France. AEF March 11, 1918 to Dec. 23, 1918. Honorably discharged Feb. 18, 1919. Bradley, Francis Wright, Appt 1 Lt. AGD Aug. 15, 1917 fr CL capt. Nov. 6, 1918; Maj. May 30, 1919. Statistical Sec. AGD to Nov. 6, 1918; Corps of Interpreters to May 30, 1918; Inf to discharge France; Cp. Dix, N. J., Cp. Gordon, Ga., AEF May 11, 1918 to Sept. 20, 1919. Honorably discharged October 7, 1919. Awarded British Military Cross and Authorization Certificate. Awarded Belgian Croix de Guerre. Awarded French Legion of Honor (Chevalier) decoration and certificate. Awarded Italian Groee di Guerra. Bradley, Robert Foster, Jr., 1 Lt. Inf. Dec. 15, 1917 fr ORC Ft. Oglethorpe, Ga. Tng Cp. Tng Cp. Hq. 38 Inf. to - ; Hq. 2 Army to discharge. Cp. Greene, NC; Cp. Upton, N. Y., AEF March 28, 1918 to May 10, 1919. Honorably discharged May 31, 1919. Awarded SS. Dansby, William Luther, National Army, September 3, 1918, L Regt. FA Replacement Draft Cp. Jackson, SC to Dec. 10, 1918; Battery C 60 FA to discharge Pvt. Honorably discharged January 28, 1919. Long, William Pressly, National Army, May 25, 1918. Depot Brigade to July 20,1918; Cp. Jackson Aug. Automatic Replacement Draft to Aug. 20, 1918; 6 Battery FA Replacement Draft to discharge. Pvt. AEF Sept. 8, 1918 to June 5, 1919. Honorably discharged June 14, 1919. Long, Wylie Kennedy, National Army, Sept. 5, 1918. Medical Department to discharge. Pvt Honorably discharged Feb. 27, 1919. Morrah, Uel Wideman, SCNG April 13, 1917. Machine Gun Co. 1 Inf. SCNG (MG Co. 118 Inf.) to discharge. Pvt. lcl June 25, 1917; Corp. Feb 23, 1918 AEF May 11, 1918 to March 27, 1919. Honorably discharged March 31, 1919. Morrah, Samuel P., Jr., enlisted in the Enlisted Reserve Corps, June 2, 1917, Atlanta, Ga.; served in QMC to discharge. Corp. Aug. 1, 1917; Sgt. October 20, 1917; Pvt. June 1, 1918; Corp. Sept. 16, 1918; Sgt. November 1, 1918; Sgt. 1cl Feb. 5, 1919. Honorably discharged March 18, 1919. Wideman, Boyce, enlisted in the Enlisted Reserve Corps, May 7, 1917, New York; Private 1cl Aug. 9, 1917; Cook June 1, 1918; served in Medical Department, Base Hospital 2 to honorable discharge, February 17, 1919; served overseas from May 14, 1917 to February 3, 1919. Young, David Abner, National Army, Sept. 3, 1918. 156 Depot Brigade to discharge. Pvt. Honorably discharged Dec. 17, 1918. Young, John Henry, National Army, Aug. 12, 1918. Co. L 56 Pioneer Regt. Inf. Aug. 12, 1918 to Sept 23, 1918. Pvt. AEF Sept. 4, 1918 to Sept. 23, 1918. Died of pneumonia Sept. 23, 1918. Young, Robert Perrin, National Army, Aug. 5, 1918. 63 Co. Syracuse Recruit Cp. NY to Sept. 12, 1918; 301 Guard & Fire Co. QMC to Dec. 14, 1918; 302 Guard & Fire Co. to discharge. Pvt. 1cl Sept. 2, 1918. honorably Discharged Jan. 24, 1919. Young Thomas Oliver, National Army, July 25, 1918. Co. F, 58 Pioneer Regt. Inf. to Aug. 6, 1918; Co. F, 3 Pioneer Regt. Inf. to discharge. Pvt. AEF Aug. 30, 1918 to March 31, 1919. Honorably discharged Apr. 23, 1919.
The Rev. R. F. Bradley resigned the Long Cane charge in October, 1930, on account of the infirmities of age. He died March 8, 1932, and lies buried among his forefathers in the Long Cane cemetery, the first pastor of that church to be buried in its cemetery.
The Rev. W. C. Kerr began serving Long Cane as stated supply, November, 1930, and is still serving this congregation faithfully in this capacity.
The Sabbath school superintendents of Long Cane are as follows:
Dr. H. T. Sloan 1850-1885, 1889, 1891
E. W. Watson 1886, 1887, 1883 (?), 1890
W. P. Wideman 1893-1909
W. H. Kennedy 1910-1922
Charlie Dansby 1922-1931
Reese O. Young 1931-1937
Horace Brown 1937-
Some of the first known elders of Long Cane and Cedar Springs are: Robert Foster, Elijah Sinclair, Mr. Patterson, James McBride, Arthur Morrow, Robert Gibson, William Robinson.
The following were elders when the Rev. Mr. Porter was called, and they are believed to have served under Dr. Clark, as there is no report of any ordination in the interim: James McBride, Alexander Smith, Robert Foster, Samuel Foster, Arthur Morrow, Andrew Jones, Robert Gibson, James Cochran (clerk in 1799), William Pressly, James Foster.
Additions February 24, 1800: William McGaw, John Patterson, John Young, Archibald Thompson (clerk in 1800), Samuel Leard, Hugh McBride; about 1811: Mathew Shanks and John Young, and Robert McCullough was in 1812.
1817-1831 (under Dr. John T. Pressly): Old Master Foster, James Foster, Hugh McBride, James Cochran, John Devlin, William Dale, Robert Drennan, Samuel McQuerns. Subsequently: Robert Foster, Dr. Samuel Pressly, William Dale, Jr.
About 1823 or 1824: Abraham Russell, John C. Couey, John Patterson.
In the fall of 1827: Samuel Young, John Kennedy, Josiah McGaw, Hugh Cochran, James Drennan. Added about 1829: James Foster, Samuel Morris. About 1837: Adam Stewart, Robert M. Mealy, Archibald Kennedy, D. P. Robinson (was in 1847), John Bradley, Dr. George W. Pressly. March 9, 1850: George W. Pressly, John Bradley, Arch Kennedy, James Harper Foster, John Devlin, James Drennan, Robert Drennan, Pat H. Bradley. In 1851: James J. Shank, Andrew Jones Neel, John Bradley (was in 1855), James Leslie, William Gibson. Listed May 10, 1871: James Drennan, Andrew Jones Weed, David McClane, Samuel B. McClinton, James J. Shank, Dr. Joseph L. Pressly, A. T. Wideman, John H. Chiles, Pat H. Bradley. Ordained January 1, 1874: Dr. J. H. McCreary, John L. Drennan, Edmund W. Watson, William K. Bradley, W. P. Wideman (was in 1884), Wm. P. Kennedy, B. F. Young, Dr. J. D. Neel (?). Listed February 24, 1890: David McClane, James J. Shank, John E. Bradley, Edwin Cowan, J. L. Pressly, M. D., W. P. Wideman, J. H. Chiles, E. W. Watson, John Lyon.
Present elders (October 27, 1940): J. A. Young, E. C. Young, Sr., R. P. Young, J. C. Dansby, W. T. Cowan.
As previously stated, the first deacons were: W. K. Bradley, David McLain, Andrew P. Weed, John McCreary, Archibald B. Boyd (was in 1851) Ordained April 5, 1860: Wilson Watkins, Joseph C. Lindsay, Adam Wideman, William Butler. Listed May 30, 1871: John McCreary, Joseph C. Lindsay, Adam Wideman, Wilson Watkins, William Butler, William K. Bradley. Ordained January 1, 1874: John McClinton, John E. Bradley, Robert W. Lites, T. M. Jay (Dorie), John H. Morrah, John A. Devlin. Listed February 24, 1880: W. W. Bradley, W. P. Devlin, J. C. Kennedy, L. P. Morrah, John H. Morrah, J. H. Drennan, Robert Crawford, E. W. Watson (clerk). Present deacons (October 27, 1940): R. C. Young, E. C. Young, Jr., J. C. Young, S. L. Long, Luther Dansby, David W. Wardlaw.
Of the sixteen Associate Reformed Presbyterian missionaries on foreign fields the following are connected with Cedar Springs and Long Cane either by birth or linage: Dr. J. G. Dale, Mrs. J. G. Dale (Dr. Kate Neel Dale), Rev. John T. Dale, Rev. W. C. Halliday, Mrs. W. C. Halliday (Flora Harper), Miss Mary Kennedy, Mrs. B. L. Hamilton (Mabel Pressly).
In addition to the churches which it has organized, The Long Cane and Cedar Springs congregation has made large contributions numerically to the following churches: Hopewell, Preble County, Ohio; New Zion (later Spring Hill), Decatur County, Indiana; the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Churches in Freestone County, Texas, the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Churches in Cameron County, Texas; two churches in Southern Illinois; and Lebanon, Wilson County, Alabama. Under the pastorate of Dr. J. P. Pressly, the bench of elders of Lebanon Church was composed entirely of natives of Long Cane and Cedar Springs: Joseph Jones, Samuel Young, Alexander Foster, William Dale, John Norris, Robert McBride, and David Black.
The genesis of the Abolition movement is a part of the early history of South Carolina and of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, in South Carolina. Before Wendell Phillips and William Lloyd Garrison began to write in vehement language and to speak with passionate eloquence against the institution of slavery, a whole settlement of Quakers had left Rayburn Creek, Newberry County, to go into a non-holding-slave State; and large settlements of Associate Reformed Presbyterians had left Hopewell, Chester County, from Fairfield County, and from Long Cane and Cedar Springs, Abbeville County, because of their opposition to slavery, and had formed Hopewell Church, Preble County, Ohio. In 1826, an overture on the subject of slavery was sent up to the Synod of the West by this Hopewell congregation in Ohio. Not only the members of this church, as previously stated, were from South Carolina, but also the pastor, the Rev. Alexander Porter, who was a native of Abbeville County and the second installed pastor of Long Cane and Cedar Springs. When this overture was presented to the Synod of the West, 1826, only the First Presbytery of Ohio, says Dr. Lathan, was decidedly in favor of it; and three of the six pastors of the First Presbytery were native-born South Carolinians: Alexander Porter, of Abbeville County; Samuel P. McCaw, of Abbeville County; and David McDill, of Chester County.
I shall close this sketch with the closing words of Dr. W. M. Grier, uttered at the Centennial here in February, 1890:
"Shall we not this day pledge ourselves anew to those noble principles which have given to us a system of doctrine and form of worship simple and scriptural, and which anchors us to a foundation more enduring and immovable than the everlasting hills - even the Word of God that liveth and abideth forever."
Glasgows Cyclopedic Manual of the United Presbyterian Church. New York Colonial Manuscripts endorsed Land Papers, Vol. 16. Pittsburg-Xenia Seminary Records, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Centennial History of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Indian Book 6. Notes of Miss Francis May Davis. Council Journal, 1763-64, Vol. 30. Howes History of the Presbyterian Church in South Carolina, Vol. 1. Sketch of Bradley Church, by Mrs. M. Bradley. Journal of the House of Representatives, Vol. 41. The Somonauk Book, Patten, 28. Manuscripts in the Historical Commission of South Carolina. Minutes of Cedar Springs and Long Cane Church. Minutes of the Synod. Notations in Dr. G. W. Presslys Ledger. Dr. S. A. Agnew, in Greenwood Index-Journal, March 2, 1930. The Abbeville Press and Banner, September 21, 1871. Dr. H. T. Sloans Sketches of Long Cane and Cedar Springs. McCalls History of Georgia. Historical Collection of the Joseph Habersham Chapter. Lathans History of the Associate Reformed Synod of the South. Historical Foundation of the Presbyterian and Reformed Churches, Montreat, N. C. Official Roster of South Carolina Soldier, Sailors and Marines, World War, 1917-18, Vol. 1. History of the Congregations of the United Presbyterian Church, 1733-1900, Edinburgh, Scotland. Division of Military and Naval Affairs of the Executive Department, Albany, N. Y. Office of the Adjutant General, Atlanta, Georgia.
Index of Historical Articles
Last revised 4 October 1998