Tue, 25 Nov 1997 18:52:23 -0800 (PST)
Nicholson Researchers For your information. best regards, dennis ward
Dennis, I got to the Library yesterday and was able to copy attached application.
GUION MILLER APPLICATION # Commissioner of Indian Affairs Washington, D.C.
SIR: I hereby make application for such share as may be due me of the fund appropriated by the Act of Congress approved June 30, 1906 in accordance with the decrees of the Court of Claims of May 18, 1906 and May 28, 1906 in favor of the Eastern Cherokees. The evidence of identity is herewith subjoined.
1. State full Name
English name: James P. Nicholson
Indian name: Not Known
2. Residence Chelsea
3. Town and post office: Chelsea
4 County: Cherokee Nation
5. State: Indian Territory
6. Date and place of birth: Aug 26th 1882 in Texas
7. By what right do you claim to share? If you claim through more than one relative
living in 1851 , set forth each claim separately:
8. Are you married? Yes
9. Name and age of wife or husband: Single
10. Give names of your father and mother, and your mother's name before marriage:
11. Where were they born?
12. Where did they reside in 1851, if living at that time?
13 Date of death of your father and mother --
14. Were they ever enrolled: .........:
15. Name all of your brothers and sisters, giving ages, and residence if possible:
16. State English and Indian names of your grandparents on both father's and mother's
side if possible:
17. Where were they born? Paternal grandparents born in Cherokee Nation East
18. Where did they reside in 1851 if living at that time? In Cherokee Nation
19. Give names of all their children, and residence, if possible:
20. Have you ever been enrolled of annuities, land or other benefits?
21. To assist in identification, claimant should give the full English and Indian
names, if possible of their parents and grandparents back to 1835:
REMARKS (Under this head the applicant may give additional information that he believes
will assist in proving his claims)
Note - Answers should be brief but explicit: the words "Yes" "No" "Unknown", etc, may be used in cases wheree applicable. Read the questions carefully
I solemnly swear that the foregoing statements made by me are true to the best of my knowledge and belief:
Signature James P. Nicholson
Subscribed and sworn to before me this first day of December, 1906.
AFFIDAVIT. (the following affidavit must be sworn to by two or more witnesses who are well acquainted with the applicant;) Personally appeared before me Miss Mabel Graham and J. E. Fleshman who being duly sworn, on oath depose and say they are well acquainted with James P. Nicholson who makes the foregoing application and statements, and have known him for two and two years respectively, annd know him to be the identical person he represents himself to be and that the statements made by him are true, to the best of their knowledge and belief, and they have no interest whatever in his claim. Witness to mark Signature of witnesses Mabel H. Grahnon J. E. Fleishman
Subscribed and sworn to before me this first day of December , 1906