Descendants of ROBERT HARPER

Descendants of ROBERT HARPER

Generation No. 1



(Ruth Lincoln Kaye's research)

Statement from "History of Old Alexandria Virginia, By Mary G. Powell, pub. 1928, stating: (page 313)

"John Harper, son of Robert and Margaret Harper, was born October 3rd, 1728, at Philadelphia, where his family owned the suburb known as 'Franklin'. He was for some years a shipping merchant, but came to Alexandria on the breaking out of the Revolution, as did so many of the Quaker faith..."

This is the only statement found that sounds authentic as to his parents. F.L. Brockett in "Lodge of Washington" says John Harper's family came from England to Virginia in the 16th century. I have found deeds in Fairfax County of John and William Harper owning land there in 1698 [perhaps ancestors of our John??]

Mrs. Powell's information surely came from a descendant, of whom there were many in 1928 when she wrote the book.

She also wrote that John Harper procured for George Washington in Philadelphia eight casks of powder, drums, and colors for five companies of Prince William and Fairfax Counties, Virginia. He also sold Washington's herring on commission. Was a member of the Lodge of Washington and attended his funeral in 1799.

Ref: "The Harpers of Virginia, West Virginia and Mississippi," by Frank O'Beirne, 1039 26th Street, S; Arlington, VA 22202, Copyright 1982


The name of Harper comes from England where, originally, it was "le Harpur." It is believed to have been given to those who played the harp at fairs and festivals. Families of this name were to be found at early dates in many English counties -- principally Leicester, Warwick, Stafford, Derby, Oxford and Kent. British records indicate the Harpers were of the landed gentry and nobility of the British Isles. A brief account of some outstanding members of these families follows.

Richard le Harpur was the earliest of this name to appear in the records. It was in connection with the grant of certain lands to the canons of Kenelworrth [sic] by "Hugh le Harpur, son of Richard le Harpur." This gr4ant occurred in the time of King Henry I, youngest son of William the Conqueror, who lived from 1068 to 1135 AD. In later generations, male members of the le Harpur family appeared with the given names of Gilbert, Robert, John, Henry, William, Humphrey, Nicholas, George, Thomas, Edward and Charles. Of these, the most common were John, William, Henry and Robert, which appeared in almost every family.

The first of the family to be knighted apparently was Sir Robert le Harpur (seventhy generation), son of Gilbert le Harpur and his wife Isolda (Morton) le Harpur. Sir Robert lived in the time of Edward II (1284-1327) and bore for his arms a plain cross, and the same for his crest, issuing out of a coronet. he married Isabel Hercy, daughter of Henry Hercy, Lord of Pillerton Hercy, in Warwickshire. For the next seven centuries the records are replete with the names of the various le Harpur and Harpur knights and barons. Many men of these families married the daughters of barons, earls and dukes.

Women of the le Harpur families were named Dorothy, Anna, Anne, Jane, Isabel, Mary, Elizabeth, Winifred, Catherine, Barbara and Susan, with Dorthy, Mary and Elizabeth appearing most frequently. Many le Harpur daughters married the sons of prominent knights, barons, earls and dukes.

Sir John le Harpur (tenth generation), son of Sir Richard le Harpur and his wife Alice (de Culy) le Harpur, married Eleanor Grober, daughter and heir of William Grober of Rushall. They had three sons: William, Richard and Henry. The Eldest of these, William, became Lord of Rushall. he adopted the former de Rushall arms as his own; known later as the Harpur arms, they were used by several descendants, including Sir Henry Harper, the seventh Baronet. The arms were: argent, a lion rampant within a bordure engrailed, sable. The crest was : A boar passant, or, ducally gorged and crined, gules. In these and later generations, most of the Harpur men matriculated at one or another of the colleges at Oxford.

Sir Henry Harper (or Harpur) (fourteenth Generation) was the first of the family to be created a Baronet. This occurred on 8 December, 1626, in the second year of King Charles I. Sir Henry was born about 1578 and died in 1638. he resided in Calke in Derbyshire. he matriculated at Brasenose College, Oxford, on 20 February, 1595/6, at the age of seventeen. He was admitted to the Inner Temple in 1598. Sir Henry was the third son of Sir John Harper and his wife Jane (Findern) Harper. He married Barbara (Faunt) Beaumont, daughter of Anthony Faunt and his wife Elizabeth (Noell) Faunt) Beaumont, daughter of Anthony Faunt and his wife Elizabeth (Noell) Faunt of Leicestershire, and widow of Sir Henry Beaumont, Baronet, of Gracedieu in Leicester; they had nine children.

Sir John Harper (or Harpur), Beronet (sixteenth generation), eldest child of Sir John Harper, Baronet, of Calke, and his wife Susan (West) Harper, succeeded to the Baronetcy in 1669; he married 17 September, 1674, Anne Willoughby, daughter of William, Lord Willoughby, sixth Baron of Parham. In 1677, this Sir John Harper inherited the estate of a cousin (also named Sir John Harper, of Swarkeston, Derbyshire) who died without issue. The wealth of various branches of the family thus became concentrated.

Sir John Harper (or Harpur), Baronet (seventeenth generation), only son of Sir John and Anne (Willoughby) Harper, was born 23 March, 1649 [this date apparently should be 1679] and died 24 June, 1741, at Calke Abbey. he was an extraordinary character in many respects, and was a person of great worth and standing in the area. He married Catherine Crewe, daughter and co-heir of Thomas, Lord Crewe, of Stene.

Sir Henry Harper (or Harpur), Baronet (eighteenth generation), was born about 1709 and died 17 June, 1748. he married (by special license) 2 October, 1734, Lady Caroline Manners, daughter of John, Second Duke of Rutland, and grand-daughter of the Earl of Harborough.

Sir Henry Harper (or Harpur), Baronet (twentieth generation), was born 13 May, 1763 and died 7 February, 1819, as a result of a fall. By Royal License, 11 April, 1808, he took the name of Crewe, it being that of his great-grandmother. His children and lineal descendants all bore the name of Harper-Crewe (or Harpur-Crewe).

Sir Vauceny Harper-Crewe (or Harpur-Crewe) (twenty-third generation) was born 14 October, 1846. He married Georgianna Jane Henrietta Eliza Lovell, and succeeded to the Baronetcy in 1886. He died 13 December, 1924, without a male successor and the title became extinct.

Branches of the Hrper line in other counties adopted arms somewhat different from those of Sir William le Harpur, of the eleventh generation. Several of these used the same golden boar, passant, in the crest, and all used a lion, rampant in the arms. In one case, however, the lion was sable (black) on the argent (white background without the black bordure; in another case, the lion was gold on a black background, with gold bordure; in a third case, the lion was red on a white background, with a black bordure. The Harper-Crewes used quartered arms, Harper and Crewe, and latter being a white lion, rampant, on a blue background. The Harper motto was "Te Deum Laudamus."

Since the eldest son in an English family inherited his father's hereditary title and estates, the younger sons had to strike out for themselves. Some of these must have been the Harpers who found their way to America.

The first of our Harper line in the United States of whom we have definite knowledge was Captain John Harper (1728-1804). The letter written by William Walton Harper states:

"The said John Harper, Kent, son of Sir John Harper, Kent while yet in England, bought of William Penn 500 acres of land near Philadelphia and willed it to his son, Robert Harper, who was in Philadelphia, but it was only a life interest, so that at the death of said Robert the land should be owned by John Harper, a grandson of said John and son of said Robert Harper. This John Harper, the grandson, was born in Philadelphia in October 1728, and removed to and settled in Alexandria, Virginia, before 1776, became wealthy in the South American trade, owned ships etc., died and was buried in Alexandria."

The information provided in that letter about the life and activities of "John Harper, the grandson" was correct. It is confirmed in several books written by various Alexandria historians. "John Harper, the grandson" became Captain John Harper, merchant, ship owner, exporter, city councilman, land-owner, and a wealthy and respected citizen of Alexandria. The information contained in the letter about Captain John's parentage and ancestors appears questionable in some respects.

How and when Harpur became Harper, and exactly who brought this name to Philadelphia and became the father of Captain John Harper, I have been unable to determine with certainty. There appear to be almost as many stories about Captain John's parentage as there are writers on the subject. None presents documentary evidence but, curiously, there are threads of similarity running through many of the stories. It may be that two Harper families -- possibly related -- have been mixed up or confused. For the benefit of future researchers, I will relate some of these stories.

One author states that Sir William Harper, Knight, oldest son of Sir Thomas Harper, was Lord of Rush Hall; that he married Margaret Coke, or Cook; that Humphrey Harper, their second son, married Elizabeth Stokes; and that John Harper, son of Humphrey and Elizabeth (Stokes) Harper, emigrated to Virginia and died in Alexandria in 1803. This appears to be a garbled account which the author attributes, incorrectly, to another writer. All other writers seem to agree that Captain John Harper was born in Philadelphia in 1728, but even they differ as to the identity of his parents.

Anderson, in her lengthy genealogy of the Meriwethers, say that John Harper, a Quaker, settled with his brother in Oxford Township, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in April 1682, and that he died in 1714. She further relates that John's son, Joseph, who married Ann -------, had an eldest son named Robert Harper, that the latter married Sarah -----, and that their tenth son was Captain John Harper. I ahve obtained copies of the will of John Harper, Mariner, who died in Oxford Township, Philadelphia County in 1714; another John Harper who died in Oxford Township in 1716; a Joseph Harper who died in Oxford Township in 1746; and a Robert Harper (whose wife was Sarah -----) who died in Philadelphia County in 1765.

John Harper, Mariner who died in 1714, left his entire estate to be divided equally between his wife Deborah (whom he named his executrix) and his son John Harper; he mentions no other children in his will. The second John Harper indicated above, who died in 1716, mentions in his wife Ann and his children John, Josiah, Ralph, Joseph, Mary andy Elizabethj. The Joseph Harper who died in 1746 does not mention a wife in his will, so she must have died earlier. He leaves bequests to several children: Robert, John, Joseph, Josiah, Ann, and Sarah whom he names as the wife of Mathias Keen; he also made a bequest to his sister Mary, widow of John Mills. He named his son Joseph and daughter Sarah to be his executors. Robert Harper, who died in Philadelphia County in 1765, leaves his son Samuel a certain "Smith's Shop and Lott of Ground;" he left all his remaining estate to his wife Sarah and his children, with the income to be managed by his wife until the youngest child should arrive at the age of fourteen. he mentions his six daughters Elizabeth, Sarah, Agnes, Rebecca, Mary and Ruth, and his "three younger sons" Robert, William and John.

From these wills, it appears that the John Harper who died in 1716, the Joseph Harper who died in 1746, and the Robert Harper who died in 1765, are the three Harpers mentioned by Anderson and referred to above. However, John Harper, tenth child of the Robert Harper who died in 1765, apparently was less than fourteen years old when his father signed his will in 1757. So, that John Harper could not have been "our" Captain John Harper who was born in 1728, unless some of the dates given are erroneous. (Besides this Robert was married in 1733).

The Harper genealogy published in the Magazine of the Jefferson County (West Virginia) Historical Society traces the ancestry of the Robert Harper (1703-1782) who founded Harpers Ferry. It shows this Robert to have been a son of Joseph Harper (d.1746) and Sarah harper, and that Joseph was the son of John (d. 1718) and Ann Harper. However, this Robert Harper who founded Harper Ferry married Rachel Griffith and died a widower, without descendants. His property at Harpers ferry was left by will to Sarah Ann, daughter of Robert's brother Joseph, of Philadelphia. This Sarah Ann Harper married Johannes (John Wager, Sr., son of Peter Wager, a German emigrant. From this rather positive evidence, it must be concluded that the Robert Harper mentioned by Anderson who had a wife Sarah and ten children, and died in 1765, was not the son of the Joseph Harper who died in 1746.

Another genealogy of "our" Harper family is presented by du Bellet in "Some Prominent Virginia Families". She gives the linage of Captain John Harper as follows:

1. Sir William Harper, Knight, oldest son of Sir Thomas Harper, Knight, was Lord of Rushall; he married Margaret Coke, daughter of Henry Coke, of Cathorp Manor, in Leicester.

2. Humphrey Harper, second son of Sir William, married Elizabeth Stokes; their son was ----

3. Walter Harper, of Chinnon, in Oxfordshire, (father of)

4. John Harper, who emigrateds to Virginia (father of)

5. Robert Harper, the father of

6. Captain John Harper, d. in Alexandria, VA in 1803, (father of

7. Captain William Harper, father of

8. William Harper, b. in Alexandria, VA in 1786; m. Mary Thomas Newton

9. Maria Ann Harper, d. at Orange, VA 26 August 1890; m. George Ira Thomas

10. Mary Newton Thomas, b. 9 August 1842; m. Fielding Lewis Marshall

It will be noted that the above genealogy goes back to the William Harper, Lord of Rushall, I mentioned earlier who adopted the de Rushall arms of his mother to be the Harper arms. My early Harper chronology does show Humphrey as the second son of William Harper, and shows Walter Harper, who married Mary Blount, as a son of Humphrey harper. It also shows Walter as having resided at Chinnon (or Chinnor) in Oxfordshire. it continues, however, by stating that Walter and Mary (Blount) Harper "had at least one son..., " and names that son as Thomas Harper. There might, of course, have been another son, John, as du Bellet says, and he might have been the grandfather of "our" Captain John Harper. This is a lead for someone else to pursue.

It appears somewhat significant that William Walton Harper, in his letter, and the authors of two Alexandria histories, all state that the father of Captain John harper was Robert Harper, which is in agreement with du Bellet's genealogy of this family. Even Anderson says Captain John's father was named Robert -- but she designates an implausible Robert as the father. Both Powell, in "the History of Old Alexandria, Virginia," and Dow, in "A History of the Second Presbyterian Church, Alexandria, Virginia, " go even one step farther by stating that the parents of Captain John Harper were Robert and Margaret Harper.

Some research was done in PA, but no trace of the Robert and Margaret Harper said to have been the parents of Captain John Harper. There is an entry in an index of area marriages showing that a Robert Harper married Margareta Archer on 9 December, 1727, in the Swede's Church, Wilmington, Delaware, which is not far from Philadelphia. The significant feature of the entry is that the date of this marriage is about ten months before the generally accepted date of birth of Captain John Harper; it merits further research.

Also no record was found in the Genealogical Society of 500 acres of land near Philadelphia having been pruchased by John Harper, Kent, for his son robert, and his grandson, John Harper. Oddly enough, though, we did find records of another Harper family having purchased 500 acres of land from William Penn. This other Harper family was from Noke, Oxfordshire, England. These records relate that John (1) Harper and his son, John (2), lived and remainded in Oxfordshire. John (3) Harper emigrated and settled on a farm near Philadelphia and bought 500 acres of land from William Penn; John (3) married Ann Butcher, had seven children and died in 1716. John (3) had no son named Robert, but did have a son John (4), who married Deborah------, a son Joseph, and a son Charles, whose wife is unknown but who also had a son named John who appears to have been born shortly before 1730. Further research on this latter John Harper, son of Charles needs to be done; the similarity of dates could be significant. This Harper line appears to mesh with that of the Harpers of Harpers Ferry and, in part, with the line recorded by Anderson.

Kitty Hookin's mother obtained some Harper genealogical data several years ago from Virginia descendants of William Walton harper; these descendants reportedly had all the latter's notes and records, but admitted that they were in a somewhat jumbled and confused condition that made clear conclusions a little difficult. This data indicates that Captain John Harper was a descendant of the John (3) and Ann (Butcher Harper referred to above, although in these records the wife of this John Harper is referred to as Ann (Batchelor) Harper. This data also indicates that John (3) Harper emigrated from Ireland to pennsylvania 2 August 1682. This data does not, however, establish either a probable or a verificable connection between John (3) Harper and Captain John Harper. The date 1682 is the same as that reported by Anderson for the arrival of Harper brothers in Philadelphia!

So we have the unusual situation wherein I am unable to locate the Robert and Margaret Harper mentioned by more than three sources as the parents of Captain John Harper and as having owned 500 acres of land near Philadelphia purchased from William Penn; yet I do find another Harper family that was in Philadelphia at about this same time that did own 500 acres of land purchased from William Penn. This latter Harper family contained numerous Johns, Roberts, Williams and Samuels, just as "our" Harper families did, but I have found no positive connection between this Harper family and "our" Robert or "our" Captain John Harper.


1. Captain John Harper and his wives (1) Sarah Wells, and (2) Mary (Reynolds) Cunningham

Captain John Harper, our earliest verifiable ancestor, was born in Philadelphia (city or county), Pennsylvania, 3 October, 1728. He married, first, Sarah Wells, daughter of John Wells of PA, on 20 October, 1750; they had twenty children. After the death of Sarah, he married Mary (Reynolds) Cunningham on 25 November, 1782. She was a widow and was the daughter of John Reynolds of Winchester, Virginia; they had nin children. Captain John Harper died 7 May, 1804, in alexandria, Virginia, where he is buried.

John Harper apparently was the son of wealth parents, whatever their given names were. They probably lived in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. John was a ship captain and later a merchant in Philadelphia.

in 1773, Reese Meredith, of Philadelphia, wrote a letter of introduction for Captain John Harper to his "Esteemed Friend," Colonel Washington:

"From the little acquaintance I had with thee formerly, I take the liberty of recommending the bearer, Captain John Harper who is in partnership with William Hartshorene -- John Harper comes down in order to see the country, if he likes, they propose to come down and settle with you; they are Men that have a verry (sic) pretty interest -- Wm Hartshorne lived with me some Time -- They are Industrious, careful, Sober men; if Capt. Harper should want to draw on this place for Five hundred Pounds, I will engage4 his Bills shall be paid -- Any Civilitys shown him will be returned by

Thy Friend

Reese Meredith

John Harper did make use of this introduction, for the diaries of Washington show that Captain John Harper and three other gentlemen dinid with George Washington on 11 June, 1773, and that they, plus two ladies and two other gentlemen who arrived after dinner, all spent the night at Mount Vernon; Captain John Harper departed after breakfast the next morning. A note inserted in the "Diaries of George Washington," edited by Jackson, states that John Harper (1728-1804) was a Quaker from Philadelphia, that he carried a letter of introduction from Resses Meredith, and that Harper and Hartshorne were considering moving their mercantile firm from Philadelphia to Alexandria, which they later did.

The diaries of George Washington also show that on 14 February 17758, Captain Harper, with several other gentlemen, again lodged at Mount Vernon. It would appear that those who had business with the owners of country estates often lodged in the latter's homes rather than in an inn which might not have been nearby. This certainly seems to have been true in the case of George Washington, for his diaries are full of entries having to do with dinner and overnight guest.

Accounts do not agree as to just when Captain Harper moved from Philadelphia to Alexandria. It appears to have been some time between 1773 and 1775, most likely in 1774. He and William Hartshorne were still partners when they first came to Alexandria, for Harrison, in "Landmark of Old Prince William," lists twenty firms -- merchants and factors -- that were located in Alexandria in 1775, and places Harper & Hartshorne, wheat purchasers, number four on this list. Jackson, however, indicates that this partnership was dissolved sometime in 1775, after which Captain John Harper went on by himself to become a prosperous shipping merchant and respected citizen of Alexandria. he was elected a member of the first City Council of Alexandria in 1779; Robert T. Hooe was Mayor.

Captain John's shipping business was conducted from Harper's Wharf on the Potomac River, at the foot of Prince Street in Old Alexandria. At that time, this city was a well-known port for ocean-going sailing ships, by Georgetown, a few miles farther upriver, later took some of the commercial business away from Alexandria. Captain John owned a fleet of sailing ships in which he exported grain, flour, tobacco, and other commodities to foreign countries. Islands of the Caribbean and various South American cities were frequent ports of call for his ships. It is interesting to note that in the latter part of the nineteenth century the Posomac River was famous for its sturgeon and the caviar of exceptionally high quality obtained from them. The river must have been well-stocked with other fish, as well; Captain John Harper sold on commission Washington's whole catch of herring, as they came.

Although a Pennsylvania Quaker, and therefore a non-combatant, Captain John was in sympathy with the colonies. In early 1775, when Washington was equipping the independent companies of Prince William and Fairfax Counties in Virginia, Captain John procured ammunition, casks of powder, drums and colors from Philadelphia for three fo these companies. Captain John Harper is listed in the DAR Patriots Index.

Captain John purchased a great deal of real estate in Alexandria and Fairfax County. Some of that in Fairfax was so extensive that portions were divided into lots and sold to the public, shortly after the Revolution. His remaingin holdings still were such as to cause several historians to remark that on his death Captain John left a house and lot to each of his twenty-nine children! Those were slight overstatements; all his twenty-nine children were not even liveing when Captain John died. Many who were alive at that time, and even some of his grandchildren who had lost their Harper parents, did receive real property, though, and many of these parcels of land did have houses on them.

In his early years in Alexandria, Captain John's sea captains needed houses nearby for their families. Several of these captains lived in houses built by Captain John shortly after the Revolution; these were in the 100-200 blocks of Prince Street, on lots that had been bought by Captain John from John Hough of Loudon County in June of 1772. This is one example of his foresight and planning. The houses Captain John built on the north side of the 100 block of Prince Street, in one of which he, himself, once lived, are known to this day as "Captain's Row." They are still occupied, and bear the city's historical markers alongside their front doors. This block of Prince Street is still paved with the original cobblestones; even the springs and rubber tires of modern automobiles do not appreciable dampen out the jolts caused by these round-topped stones, said to have arrived as ballast in returning ships.

Captain John also bought an estate for himself in adjoining Fairfax County, called "Walnut Hill". It was very near Ash Grove, the home at that time of Bryan, Lord Fairfax, who was his intimate friend and whose estate he administered in 1802. Several of Captain John's children were born at Walnut Hill. In the latter part of his life, Captain John built two brick houses on the east side of Washington Street in Alexandria, just south of Prince Street. These also are still occupied; it was in one of them that he die in 1804.

Captain John Harper was a Federalist and was one of several men appointed Justices of the Peace by President John Adams on 3 March, 1801, the last day Adams was in office. Although the appointments were made, signed, confirmed by the Senate and sealed, four of them -- including Captain John Harper's -- were not delivered. Jefferson, upon coming into office, at once ordered these commissions withheld, saying that they had been crowded in by Adams at the last moment formen known to be his political enemies, and were "an outrage to decency." There was quite an uproar, and a Surpreme Court case over this action (Marbury-Madison case), but the commissions never were delivered.

Many of Captain John's children and grandchildren became prominent and well known in the Alexandria area, and married into other highly-regarded families. (see family pages for marriages of Captain John's children).

Birthday Balls, in honor of former President George Washington, were held annually for may years in Alexandria. On the occasion of Washington's last Birthday Ball, held on 11 February, 1799, at the famous Gadsby's Tavern in Alexandria, the Alexandria Artillery, commanded by Captain William Harper, fired a special salute. Among the ladies invited to this Ball were Mrs. Edward harper (wife of Captain John's son Edward), Mrs. Samuel Harper (probable the wife of another son of Captain John) and three Miss Harpers. Note that Washington's birthday was 11 February under the Old Style calendar; it was changed to 22 February after his dath because of the eleven days dropped in 1752 when the Gregorian Calendar was adopted by England.

Both Captain John Harper and his son Captain William were members of the Masonic "Lodge of Washington" in Alexandria. This was Lodge No. 22 A.F. & A.M., of which George Washington was the first Worshipful Master. Members of this lodge participated as a unit in the funeral ceremonies for George Washington.

Although Captain John Harper was a Quaker in Philadelphia, many of whom were driven away from there by persecution on account of their aversion to warfare, he became a Presbyterian in Alexandria; virtually all the members of his family were members of this same faith. Initially, they were members of the Frist Presbyterian Church, better known as the Old Presbyterian Meeting House, on South Fairfax Street. The Register of Births, Baptisms, Marriages and Funerals of this church is full of the names of members of Harper families, those they married, and their children. In march, 1817, thirty-nine people (men and women) broke away from the First Churhc and formed the Second Presbyterian Churhc of Alexandria. At least ten of these were Harpers, many of whom became leaders in the new church. This, however, was after the death of Captain John.

Captain John Harper died 7 May, 1804, in his house on Washington Street in Alexandria. There were no official death certificates at that time, but the church Register shows his death at the age of 76 years to have been due to "Old age." Captain John was buried in the graveyard of the Old Presbyterian Meeting House. His grave is near those of two of his daughters, Mary Vowell, wife of Thomas Vowell, and Margaret (Peggy) Vowell, wife of John C. Vowell. Captain John's son Edward, who married Rosalie Hickerson of Down, Ireland, died in 1830 at the age of 40 years, of consumption; he also is reported to be buried in this graveyard. Captain John's grave, that of his son Captain William Harper, and that of Captain Geroge North (of whom, more later) are now uner the enlarged church, close to the north wall.




2. i. JOHN2 HARPER, b. October 3, 1728, Philadelphia; d. May 7, 1804, Alexandria, VA Bur graveyard of the Old Presbyterian Meeting House.

Generation No. 2

2. JOHN2 HARPER (ROBERT1) was born October 3, 1728 in Philadelphia, and died May 7, 1804 in Alexandria, VA Bur graveyard of the Old Presbyterian Meeting House. He married (1) SARAH WELLS October 20, 1750, daughter of JOSEPH WELLS. He married (2) MARY REYNOLDS November 25, 1782, daughter of JOHN REYNOLDS.


See John Lloyd ( 11/16/1775 ) for reference:

A shipbuilder of Philadelphia and Alexandria.

Father of 29 children, one of them being Sarah, who married Nicholas Warner Lloyd.

John Harper was a successful and prosperous shipbuilder in Philadelphia but moved to Alexandria with his large family. He was a Quaker, believing in pacifist principles, and Quakers were unpopular in Philadelphia at that time because they would not support the Revolutionary War. In Alexandria, John Harper built a shipping establishment on the Potomac at the foot of Princ Street, and soon became a prominent figure in the commercial life of the thriving Virginia city.

The first Harper that we know of in Pennsylvania arrived about 1680, and was named in a court case in Chester in 1682. Our ancestor John Harper was born near Philadelphia in 1728, apparently a grandson of the original settler. In 1750 he married Sarah Wells, daughter of Joseph Wells, and in the next quarter century had by her no less than 20 children whose names were duly inscribed in the Harper family Bible. The names of the first 14 and the last nine were legible, but one daughter had torn out the page reporting her date of birth, hoping to protect the secret of how old whe was! So several names, from 15 to 20, were lost.

After the death of John's wife Sarah, he remarried to Mary Caswell, a widow, daughter of John Reynolds. She presented the indefatiguable Captain Harper with nine more children, born practically up to the time of his death at the age of 76. Moreover, she also brought up three grandchildren from the first marriage -- John Lloyd, son of Sarah Harper Lloyd, and two of his female first cousins. John Harper became quite prominent in the business and community life of Alexandria. In addition to a house in the city, he bought a considerable acreage of land in nearby Fairfax County and built a home known as "Walnut Hill." He was a neighbor of Brian, Lord Fairfax, developed a warm friendship with him, and when Fairfax died in 1802 John Harper became the executor of his estate.

When Young Capt John had a vessel and engaged in West India trade. Then went Philladelphia and then Alexandria, where was engaged in West India and So. American Trade. On 1st City Council Alexandria; bought "Walnut Hill" Ffx He is buried against North wall of Old Presbyterian Meeting house graveyard.

29 children by Sarah; (most buried Presby): note: some say 20 children by Sarah and 9 by Mary


Of the twenty reported children of Captain John Harper and his first wife, Sarah Wells, only fourteen are named in his will. The other six must have died earlier without issue. At that time, a relatively high proportion of all children appeared to die either in infancy or before reaching adulthood. Even among adults, there were many deaths attributed to consumption, pleurisy, and fevers of various kinds. This high death rate among children and young adults probably necessitated the large families so often seen at that time; they served to insure survival of the family.

Children of JOHN HARPER and SARAH WELLS are:


ii. JOHN HARPER, b. 1753; d. Bef 1797; m. MARGARET WEST.

3. iii. SARAH HARPER, b. March 1, 1755; d. November 10, 1779.

iv. ROBERT HARPER, b. 1757; d. Bef 1797; m. SARAH WASHINGTON.


4. vi. WILLIAM HARPER, b. March 14, 1761; d. April 18, 1829.

vii. EDWARD HARPER, b. 1763; d. 1803; m. ROSALIE HICKERSON.

viii. SAMUEL HARPER, b. 1765; m. SARAH BROOKE.


x. CHARLES HARPER, b. ABT 1768; d. 1848; m. (1) SARAH JANNEY; m. (2) LUCY SMITHER.


xii. MARY HARPER, b. 1772; d. 1805; m. THOMAS VOWELL.

xiii. MARGARET HARPER, b. 1775; d. 1806; m. JOHN C VOWELL.


Children of JOHN HARPER and MARY REYNOLDS are:

xv. ROBERT3 HARPER, b. 1784; d. Lost at sea.

xvi. JOHN HARPER, b. 1786.

xvii. SARAH HARPER, b. 1787.

xviii. JAMES HARPER, b. 1788; m. ELIZA WARD.

xix. SARAH ANN HARPER, b. 1790.

xx. NANCY HARPER, b. 1794; m. (1) (FNU) KING; m. (2) WELLS ANDREWS.


xxii. RUTH (?) HARPER, b. 1798.


Generation No. 3

3. SARAH3 HARPER (JOHN2, ROBERT1) was born March 1, 1755, and died November 10, 1779. She married NICHOLAS WALN LLOYD, son of THOMAS LLOYD and SUSANNA KEARNEY.


See John Lloyd ( 11/16/1775 ) for reference:

- A lady who had the distinction of being one of the 29 children of the shipbuilder John Harper, of - Philadelphia and Alexandria.

Her father strongly disapproved of her marriage and after her death raised her son as his own.

Sarah died when her son John was born or in his infancy.


5. i. JOHN4 LLOYD, b. November 16, 1775, Alexandria, VA; d. July 22, 1854, Alexandria, VA.

4. WILLIAM3 HARPER (JOHN2, ROBERT1) was born March 14, 1761, and died April 18, 1829. He married MARY SCULL 1781, daughter of WILLIAM SCULL and JANE LODGE.


Capt. William Harper commanded artillery at GW funeral

Children of WILLIAM HARPER and MARY SCULL are:

i. WILLIAM4 HARPER, b. April 28, 1787; d. September 1, 1852; m. MARY THOMAS NEWTON, October 17, 1810.

ii. JOEL Z HARPER, b. June 16, 1794, Alexandria, VA; d. October 18, 1864, Upperville; m. FRANCES MCCOULL.

Generation No. 4

5. JOHN4 LLOYD (SARAH3 HARPER, JOHN2, ROBERT1) was born November 16, 1775 in Alexandria, VA, and died July 22, 1854 in Alexandria, VA. He married (1) REBECCA JANNEY November 30, 1798, daughter of JOSEPH JANNEY and HANNAH JONES. He married (2) ANNE HARRIOTTE LEE November 2, 1820 in Ellersley, Loudoun County, VA, daughter of EDMUND LEE and SARAH LEE.


This comes from, "A Profile of JOHN LLOYD - - Alexandria Merchant and Businessman", 1775-1854; T. Michael Miller, Alexandria Library, Lloyd House, June 1984.


Born on the 16th of November, 1775, John Lloyd was the only son of Nicolas Warne Lloyd and Sarah harper of Philadelphia.(1) His maternal grandfather was the famous Capt. John Harper (1728-1804) of Revolutionary war fame. Capt. Harper, a Quaker, who was born in Philadelphia in 1728 was married twice. His first wife was Sarah Wells of Pennsylvania by whom he had 20 children. Upon her death, Mary Cunningham, a widow and daughter of John Reynolds of Winchester became his spouse. By her, he had nine children. It is thought that Capt. Harper was residing in Alexandria by 1773. Insurance records definitely place him at 209 Prince Street in 1796. Although a Quaker, Capt. Harper was instrumental in securing gunpowder from Philadelphia for the Prince William and Fairfax County militias during the revolution. After the war, he carried on an extensive merchantile and trading business at his wharf at Prince and Union Street. He later constructed a large number of homes for many of his children on the north side of the 100 block of Prince Street commonly referred to as Captain's row. Capt. Harper died in 1804, age seventy-six and was buried in the Old Presbyterian Metting House cemetery.(2)

On his paternal side, John Lloyd's ancestory can be traced back to Edward the First, King of England (1239-1307). His great-great grandfather, was Thomas Lloyd (b. 1640; d. 1694) Deputy Governor of Pennsylvania and President of the Council from 1684 to 1693. He was a graduate of Jesus College, Oxford and had studied medicine.(3)

John's grandfather, Thomas Lloyd (d. 1754) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania married Susanna Owen, widow of Dr. Edward Owen on May 31, 1734.(4) They had a son named Nicholas Waland Lloyd who was John Lloyd's father. Nicholas was dropped from the Society of Friends for marrying out of the Meeting and removed to Baltimore, Maryland. (5) Little else is known about Nicholas or his life in Philadelphia or Baltimore. He married Sarah Harper, a daughter of Capt. John Harper and family tradition states that Lloyd was "dissipated". Their union did not have the blessing of the Harper family. As an only child, John Lloyd's parents died when he was young and he was raised by his grandfather, Capt. John Harper, a stern disciplanarian. Harper supposedly never forgave his daughter for running away with Nicholas Lloyd and thus never spoke to John about his father's background.


John Lloyd, as a charge of his grandfather, must have been familiar with the sights and sounds of the busy seaport of Alexandria in the 1770's and 80's. No doubt, he was influenced by his grandfather's business acumen and insight.

Lloyd first emerges from the shadowy pages of the past as an entry in the 1796 Alexandria tax records.(6) This document asserts that he rented a lot on Duke Street from Joseph Coleman that year. In 1797, John Lloyd advertised in the "Alexandria Advertiser Times" for a runaway apprentice:

3 Pence Reward

Ran Away from the subscriber, on the 8th instant an apprentice boy, named John Hilliar; about 14 years of age: his parents live in or near Leesburg, and it is supposed that he is not far from them. The above reward will be given for him without thanks.(7)

On November 30, 1798, John married Rebecca Janney, daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Jones) Janney of Pennsylvania. She was born in Alexandria on August 14, 1776.(8) As a result of marrying out side her religion, Rebecca was dismissed form the Fairfax Quaker Assembly on May 25, 1799 but was later re-instated on September 23, 1809.(9) During their nineteen years of marriage, John and Rebecca sired eight children. These included the following offspring:

Nicholas Waln Lloyd, born: 28 October 1801; died young.

Horatio Nelson Lloyd, born: 2 January 1804. died unmarried in Mississippi, 13 March 1860

Selina Lloyd, Born: 30 September 1807; died: 4 August 1871; married 28 September 1830,Charles Levin Powell - 7 children

Alfred Lloyd, born: 1811, died: age one year

Richard Henry Lloyd, born: 15 July 1815; died: 24 February 1883; married (1) Mary Fife - one child, married (2) Elizabeth Jenkins, 5 children - Home - "Balmont", Now St. Agnes School.

Frederick Lloyd, born: October 1817; died: 28 November, 1868; merried 1852 - Lucy Lee Powell, daughter of Alfred Harrison Powell - no issue.

(Notes of Mahlon Hopkins Janney, 1812 K street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20006, 1956. 28 August 1966, age 85; son of Mahlon Hopkins & ... Jameson Janney. Buried St. Paul's Cemetery, Alexandria, Virginia.

*Children of John Janney and Eliza Armistead Selden Lloyd

Mary Bowles - died young

Rebecca Janney married Rev. Henry Melville Jackson - one son - died young

John Janney Lloyd, Jr. - married Ella Hubard - 5 children

Nellie Selden Lloyd, born: 3 March 1853, died: 15 March 1931; married August 8, 1876, George Uhler, born: 9 January 1849; died: 11 December 1925. They had Katharine Griffith, John Lloyd**, and Nellie Selden Uhler**

Eliza Fontaine Lloyd, married: (1) Rowland D. Burks - daughter Eliza Fontaine Lloyd, (2) Clarence Woolfolk - son, clarence Alexander Woolfolk, married: Zoe ..., no issue.

Arthur Selden Lloyd, married: 30 June 1880, Elizabeth Robertson Blackford, died: March 1932; He was born at "Mt. Ida," Alexandria County, Virginia 3 May 1857, died: 22 July 1936 at Stanford, County. There were six children: Arthur - died young, Mary robertson married Rev. Edmund Pendleton Dandridge - 2 children, Elizabeth and Edmund: Elizabeth Blackford married Charles j. Symington, died: 5 November 1958, - 4 children: Gay Blackford married Rev. Churchill Gibson in 1913, was born 1888, died: 5 October 1960 - 4 children: John died: 1922 of World War I wounds, unmarried; Rebecca married Gavin Hadden - he died 195_, she 7 December 1964, issue 5 children.

**Eliza Armistead Selden Uhler married Thomas anderson Sommers - issue 2; son & Rebecca Lloyd Uhler married Charles Calvert Smoot, III, issue 4; 3 daughters & 1 son - John Lloyd Uhler married Bertha Marr Stevenson - issue 1 daughter - died young; Katherine Griffith Uhler - unmarried.

(Ref. Seldens of Virginia and Allied Families, mary Selden Kennedy, 1911 - 2 Volumes - Frank Allaben Gen. Co. and Obit. notices)

Rebecca LLoyd died in 1819 and was interred in Christ Church cemetery off Wilkes Street. One year - later John married into the famous Lee family of Virginia. His bride was Ann harriott Lee, eldest daughter of Edmund Lee, lawyer and former mayor of Alexandria. They were married at Ellersley, Loudoun, County, Virginia by Rev. Norris on November 9, 1820.(10) Anne Harriott was born March 6, 1799, and was the first cousin of Robert E. Lee. John Lloyd had six children by Ann and they were:

Edmund Jennings Lloyd - born; August 27, 1822; died: October 1, 1889. According to the 1880 census Edmund owned the Lloyd House during that time frame. he never married and his occupation is listed as "gentleman."


"...He was a captain in the commissary department of the Confederate service during the war." (Civil War) Alexandria Gazette, 10/2/1889, p. 3.

Rebecca Lloyd - born: June 7, 1824; died: July 17, 1873. She married Dr. John Prosser Tabb of Gloucester county, Virginia and had 5 children: John, Matilda Prosser, John Lloyd, John Prosser, and Rebecca Lloyd Tabb.

Anne Harriotte - Born: January 7, 1826; died: June 23, 1888. Anne married the Rev. John Stearns and had four children: Mary who married William Hoge; John, Rebecca, who married William Hastings; and Lawrence Stearns. Recently, Mrs. Byron White donated som 700 letters of Anne Harriotte Stearns to the Lloyd House manuscript collection. (1984)

George Francis Lloyd - born: October 28, 1828; died: October 1866. He married Mary Pindle Hammond and sired three children: Nelson, who married a Miss Morris; Nannie, who married Robert Hare Delafield; Francis Frederick, who married a Miss Taylor.

Jean Charlotte Washington Lloyd* - born: 1842; died: ? She married Capt. Philip Tabb yeatman, C.S.S., in 1867. Yeatman was living at 220 N. Washington Street (Lloyd House) in 1895-96 according to Richmond's Alexandria Directory. He was a captain in the 26th Virginia Infantry (Wise's Brigade) during the Civil War. Yeatman was born November 28, 1829 and died March 18, 1897. Interment took place in christ Church Cemetery. After the Civil War, Philip was a clerk with an unidentified company in Alexandria. During the Yeatman occupancy of the Lloyd House, the United Daughters of the Confederacy was formed there in 1895. Jean Charlotte Yeatman must have been one of its charter members.

Mary Lee Lloyd* - born: 18__; died: 19__, Mary Lloyd was probably the last member of the family to occupy 220 N. Washington Street and the last member of the Lee family to reside in the structure.

(The above material is liberally quoted from E.J. Lee, "Lees of Virginia", P. 381. *Indicates the members of the Lloyd family probably born at 220 North Washington Street.)


During his lifetime, John Lloyd resided in several Alexandria locales. Tax records and newspaper advertisements are useful tools in determining many of these sites.

In 1797, Lloyd is listed as renting a house and office from Jacob Leah valued at $400.(11) From 1801 to 1821, insurance maps and tax assessment records place him on South Fairfax Street approximately where the current Burke and Herbert parking lot is now situated. He first rented and later purchased several buildings on the 100 block of South Fairfax Street. these included a three story dwelling house, warehouse, carriage house and stable. (See Appendix A) Initially these structures belonged to Eleanor Doll and George Cooke. They owed John Lloyd $100, 000 which they failed to pay. On the 20th of December 1815, lloyd purchased the above mentioned structures for $5,000 on an unexpired lease from the Bank of the Potomac. In 1826, many of these buildings were put up for sale:

Public Sale

On Monday the first day of January next, at 10 o'clock A.M. the subscriber will offer at Public Sale, on the premises, that valuable

Lot of Ground and Improvements

Fronting on Fairfax and Water streets, between King and Prince streets, now in the tenure of Wm. F. Thornton, and lately occupied by John Lloyd. The lot fronts on Fairfax and Water streets 26 feet 5 inches on the former and 24 feet nine inches on the later. It extends northwardly to Swift's Alley on which it binds 60 feet.

The improvements consist of a three story Brick Dwelling House and Store on Fairfax Street, a Brick Stable and Carriage House, and a three story Brick Warehouse on the Alley.

The above sale will be made under the authority of a deed of trust from Geo. Janney to the subscriber.

Terms cash.

R.J. Taylor, Trustee(13)

609 Oronoko Street - 1821 - 1823

Just after John Lloyd married Anne Harriott Lee, He and his new bride moved into this Lee home. Formerly it had been owned by John Hopkins, Richmond banker, who married Cornelia Lee, daughter of William Lee of Greenspring. No doubt, Harriott wanted to be close to her Lee relatives on the corner - her father, Edmund J. Lee resided across the street at 428 North Washington Street; the Kendalls who were her cousins lived at 429 North Washington Street (Lee-Fendall House) and Robert E. Lee and his mother Ann rented 607 Oronoko.

It is not positively known where John Lloyd domiciled from 1823 until 1833. Possibly, he lived at Salisbury, his farm in Fairfax County. (see page 13). In 1832, however, he bought the dwelling at 220 North Washington Street.

220 North Washington Street

Upon the death of the widow Hooe, 220 North Washington Street was auctioned off. Benjamin Hallowell, Quaker schoolmaster, had previously conducted a school there. He had hoped to purchase the property but was outbid by John Lloyd who paid $3,450 for the site.(14) In a 1832 real estate advertisement, the house was described as "a spacious brick dwelling now occupied and used as the 'Alexandria Boarding School' by B. Hallowell."(15) The residence was not formally conveyed to Lloyd until March 11, 1835. For the next 19 years, he would reside here with his family until his death in 1854. The home would remain in the Lloyd family until 1918.


Unfortunately, there is not available a wealth of information to flesh out the character of John Lloyd. A guage of his civic mindedness, however, can be measured by the number of social organizations in which he participated.


The February 27, 1819, edition of the Alexandria Gazett mentioned that John Lloyd was a member of the Washington Society. This association was formed in 1800 shortly after the death of George Washington. composed of some of the most influencial patricians of Alexandria, its goals were to perpetuate the memory of the America's first President and to raise funds for the Washington Free school. Each year on the 22nd of February and the 4th of July, the society would lead a parade to the Presbyterian church for an edifying oration. Then after the speech, the membership would retire to a tavern for festivities. Notable orators who spoke before the society included: Richard Bland Lee, Francis Scott Key, Chief Justice John Marshall.(16) Other members included: William Fitzhugh, Dr. E.C. Dick, Wm. Herbert, Jacob Hoffman, Anthony C.Cazenove, Edmund J. Lee, Lewis Hipkins, Philip R. Fendall, Geo. Washington Parke custis, General Light Horse Harry Lee, John Marshall.


Established in 1786, the Alexandria Academy was a seminal keystone in the educational heritage of Alexandria. It is located on the southside of the 600 block of Wolfe Street. Three stories high, the first contained the English school, the second, the language school and on the third was situated the Free School established by George Washington's annual contribution of L 50. Robert E. Lee as well as the renown artist John Gadsby Chapman attended school in this building. It later reverted to private hands circa 1853 when Edward Powell bought it. The school is thought to have been the oldest free school established in Virginia, if not the United States. John Lloyd was a trustee of this venerable Alexandria institution in 1833(17). It is obviously that Lloyd was concerned with the quality of education in the community and tried to assist the underpriviledged.


Although John Lloyd was civic minded, it was also necessary for him to provide food, clothing, shelter and to manage the financial affairs of his family. To this end, he was constantly engaged in several business enterprises during his lifetime.

The 1799 Alexandria city census listed his occupation in that year as a "hatter" who had 3 apprentices working for him.(18) Perhaps, his shop was situated in the complex of buildings he rented on South Fairfax Street. Later, he expanded his commercial activities and became a full fledge commercial merchant. In November, 1807, he ran the following advertisement in the Gazette:


has received from the William and John and the George from Liverpool a general assortment of


Which are for sale on the usual terms.(19)

Later, in 1816, it was reported that John Lloyd:

Offers for sale by the piece or package, a general and well selected assortment of seasonable


imported by the latest arrival, in well assorted packages and will be at the unusual low advance, and on credit.(20)

Besides being a commercial merchant, Lloyd was also engaged in other business affairs. For instance in 1824, 1825, and 1827, he was elected one of the directors of the bank of the Potomac.(21) Established in 1804, this was the second bank to be organized in Alexandria and the Dirstict of Columbia. It was headquartered in a beautiful four story brick structure located at 415 Prince Street. When foreign trade was high in Alexandria, this bank met a real need for capital.

Like many wealthy Alexandria merchants, John Lloyd owned extensive tracts of real estate both in and outside of town. One transaction which involved five houses on the east side of South Washington Street is particulary noteworthy because these group of buildings still bear the appellation "Lloyd's Row." the history of this row can be traced to June 26, 1814, when Jonathan Scholfield, merchand, indemnified Andrew Scholfield, lumber merchant, against the responsibility for endorsing several notes of the firm Scholfield and Scott. In order to accomplish this, Jonathan conveyed to Robert J. Taylor, a prominant Alexandria lawyer, in TRUST, a lot of ground on the North side of Duke and on the East side of the 200 block of South Washington Street containing 5, 3 story brick tenements.(22) Taylor auctioned off the properties to Lloyd on October 1816. Scholfield was also indebted to John Lloyd for a sum of $18,000. In a deed signed on May 1, 1816, Lloyd agreed to assume Scholfields $14,325.95 debt at the Union Bank together with a note for $4,105.03. In turn, Scholfield conveyed to him 2,633 shares of stock in the bank to cover the assumption.(23) After Scholfield defaulted, Lloyd purchased the 5 brick houses from Robert J. Taylor on October 29, 1816: 3 tenements for $1,625; middle tenement for $825 and the most southern tenement at $1,936. These houses remained in the Lloyd family for many years and were rented to a variety of individuals. An assortment of real estate advertisements concerning them from the "Alexandria Gazette" appear below:


A commodious 3 story brick dwelling house on Washington street lately occupied by Mr. John Jackson...

J. Lloyd Gazette 1/1/1820

...The 3 story brick House on Washington street, a pleasant and healthy situation at present occupied by Mrs. Jacobs.

Gazette 9/21/1827, p.2.

The dwelling houses, lately occupied by Mr. James C. Berry and Mr. Jonathan Janney, a pleasant and healthy situation on Washington street.

Gazette 5/21/1828, p. 3.

The three story brick dewlling house on Washington street, at present occupied by Mr. Caruisi.

Gazette 10/13/1831


The building lately occupied by Mrs. Porter as a Boarding School for young ladies at the intersection of Washington and Duke streets which from their locality and arrangement are considered admirably adapted for the purpose. Should they not shortly be taken together they will be rented separately. ...

John Lloyd Gazette 8/12/1834, p. 3

...Two or three of the 3 story brick dwelling houses in the row, on Washington street will be rented immediately . . .

Gazette 5/25/1840, p. 3


The 2 and 3 story brick dwelling houses on Washington street near the Lyceum, lately occupied by Mr. John Douglass and Mr. E.S. Hough.

Gazette 11/12/1844, p. 3


The house on Washington Street in Lloyd's Row, now occupied by Mr. Perry. ...

Gazette 2/28/1854, p. 3.

Lloyd's Row almost went up in flames in 1852 when a young white girl set fire to one of the dwellings on the block. It was reported that:

An attempt was made yesterday to fire one of the block of buildings on Washington Street, known as Lloyd's Row. The fire was kindled in the cellar of the house, so as to communicate with the wood, but was fortunately discovered before it made much progress.(24)

A small white girl, employed as a domestic in a family, in town, has within the last few days, confessed to the perpetration of a number of pretty larcencies, in the house where she is employed - stealing rings, small sums of money, and finally ended in making the attempt to set fire to the dwelling in Lloyd's row, to which reference was made a day or two ago. The girl had false keys, and represents that she was induced to commence her depredations by communications with the gypsies who recently passed through this place.(25)

Indebted to William Fowle for $2,040 in 1838, Lloyd pledged one of the houses on the row as security. If he had failed to pay off his incumbrance, the property could have been sold at public auction.(26) Since it wasn't, it is an indicaction that the debt was paid.


Another historic property which John Lloyd owned and rented was the Carlyle House. John Carlyle was a prominent Scottish merchant, trustee and early founder of the town of Alexandria. he started construction of this lovely Georgian Mansion on North Fairfax Street between Cameron and King in 1750. Long a town landmark, the Carlyle House has been associated with many important events in Alexandria's history. Most notable was the meeting of Royal Governors and General Edward Braddock who met there in 1755 to plan the campaign against the French in the Ohio valley. By 1780, the home had been inherited by Carlyle's grandson John Carlyle Herbert. He later removed to Maryland and the structure and grounds were conveyed to a group of Alexandria businessmen to repay a debt owed by Herbert's brother - Thomas. (27) One of these businessmen was John Lloyd.

On April 8, 1831, Lloyd sold the dwelling house and other structures on the property to Orlando morse for $2,300. the deed read:

...Beginning on Fairfax Street at the house formerly occupied by Wm. Herbert as an office thence South on Fairfax Street to the said house formerly occupied by Herbert as a kitchen. ....

Morse owed Lloyd several thousand dollars and he immediately placed the house in a trust held by Edmund J. Lee and R.J. Taylor in order to cover the debt.(29) Apparently, Morse was unable to fulfill his financial obligation because the property reverted back to John Lloyd on June 25, 1834. (30)

As early as December 1833, however, Lloyd had been trying to rent or sell the Carlyle House:


...The commodious Stone Dwelling House on Fairfax street, near the Bank of Alexandria, formerly the residence of William Herbert, Esq. The House last mentioned, with the large and valuable lot, will be sold on reasonable terms. ...

Not successful in selling the property, Lloyd offered the structure as a possible site for the new city and county courthouse to be constructed in Alexandria in 1838. this proposal was rejected and Lloyd continued to lease the premises to a number of renters until it was sold to James Green, a noted Alexandria furniture manufacture, in 1848.(32)


Planned and incorporated in 1808 by Alexandria merchants, this turnpike was constructed as an all weather road between Alexandria and farmland in Fauquier and Culpeper county. It was completed in December 1827 at approximately $2,000 a mile but failed to make a profit for its investors. The Virginia State Board of Public Works authorized $30,000 to be raised by a lottery in 1828 for improvements and repairs. John Lloyd was a director of the turnpike Company as early as February 1825 and continued to serve in that capacity as least until 1832.(33)


To provide foodstuffs and agricultural produce for his family, John Lloyd owned several farms in Fairfax County. One of these was called Salisbury and was located on the "old road from Alexandria to Aldie and (was) about equidistant (2 miles) from the Little River Turnpike and Fauquier Turnpike roads."(34) When the Salisbury farm was offered for sale in 1827, a thorough description of the estate was enclosed:


A valuable farm of 1300 acres, 8 miles from Alexandria Georgetown and Washington, in a pleasant neighborhood in the upper part of Fairfax County Virginia.

Nearly one half of this tract is in wood, the remainder is cleared and well fenced, and the last two years sufficiently demonstrate, that by the use of plaster, is susceptible of great and rapid improvement. The land is admirably adapted for grass, is well watered and unusually healthy. About 100 acres of meadow land are now cleared, and as much more, at least, remains to be cleared. The Orchards are very large, young and productive.

There is a commodious dwelling House, with a large Garden, Dairy, Ice House, and every other necessary out building; together with a Pump, affording delightful water, and a never failing Spring. The Stables are extensive, the Barn capacious, and the Cyder House with a complete cyder mill and screw press, substantially made and conveniently arranged. The whole is in a good state of repair.

The farm is abundantly stocked with horses, oxen, hogs, cattle and sheep - the last constisting of a flock of about 300, mostly marionoes; wagons, carts, and every impliment of husbandry necessary for its cultivation.

... I have also several small Farms, within 10 or 12 miles of Alexandria, Geogretown, or Washington, on the Little River Turnpike Road, which would be rented to suitable tenants for a number of years on accomodating terms.


Salisbury, 5th April, 1827. (35)

No doubt, Salisbury, would have also served as a lovely retreat for the Lloyd family during the hot, torpid Virginia summers. Perhaps, Lloyd resided here from 1824 to 1832. its close proximity to the Fauquier Turnpike would have been extremely advantagous for him to ship vegetables and cereal grains to the prot of Alexandria. As a director of the Fauguier Turnpike Company, he was in a key position to see that the road adjacent to Salisbury was properly maintained.


During the tragic fire of 1827 which destroyed over $100,000 worth of real estate in Alexandria, John Lloyd lost several commercial buildings, Noticable were: "a frame house occupied by Mr. Laughlin Masters as shoemaker; a frame warehouse owned jointly with Mordecai Miller and occupied by George Hill, tinner and coppersmith;... A two story frame house...occupied by Richard Horwell, suspender manufacture."(36) Many of these structures were located on Prince and Fairfax Streets where the most extensive damage occured. Fortunately, several of the buildings were insured.

1799 Census says he was a hatter


After a long and prosperous life, John Lloyd died on July 22, 1854. In his will he directed that all his debts be paid and be bequeathed all his estate, real and personal to wife Anne Harriott. This was to be utilized for her support and that of Jane or Mary while they remained unmarried. If Anne remarried his estate would be divided into as "Many equal parts as may be necessary... two of said parts to Edmund J. Lee of Shepherdstown, Virginia to be held in trust for the use of Anne (Lloyd) wife of Rev. J. Stearns..."

"Two other equal parts were devised to Jane, and two equal parts to Mary Lloyd ..."

After John Lloyd's death, Anne, his wife, continued to reside at Lloyd House, 220 North Washington Street until the early 1860's when the Civil War forced her to emigrate to Gloucester Virginia where she died on September 9, 1863, at the home of Dr. John P. Tabb after a brief illness of two days. Her body was returned to Alexandria after the Civil War and interred beside that of her beloved husband in Christ Church cemetery on Wilkes Street. Lloyd House remained in the family until 1918.


Children of JOHN LLOYD and REBECCA JANNEY are:


6. ii. JOHN JANNEY LLOYD, b. March 8, 1800; d. May 22, 1871, Alexandria, VA.

7. iii. SELINA LLOYD, b. September 30, 1808; d. August 4, 1871.

iv. RICHARD HENRY LLOYD, b. July 15, 1815; d. February 24, 1883; m. (1) MARY FIFE; m. (2) ELIZABETH JENKINS.

v. FREDERICK LLOYD, b. October 1817; d. November 28, 1868; m. LUCY LEE POWELL.

vi. NICHOLAS WALN LLOYD, b. October 28, 1801; d. Died young.

vii. HORATIO NELSON LLOYD, b. January 2, 1804; d. March 13, 1860, Mississippi.

viii. ALFRED LLOYD, b. September 1811; d. 1812, Died age one year.

Children of JOHN LLOYD and ANNE LEE are:




xii. EDMUND JENNINGS LLOYD, b. August 27, 1822; d. October 1, 1889.

9. xiii. REBECCA LLOYD, b. June 7, 1824; d. July 17, 1873.

10. xiv. ANN HARRIOTTE LLOYD, b. January 7, 1826; d. June 23, 1888.

11. xv. GEORGE FRANCIS LLOYD, b. October 28, 1828; d. October 1, 1866.


xvii. MARY LEE LLOYD, b. July 23, 1835.

Generation No. 5

6. JOHN JANNEY5 LLOYD (JOHN4, SARAH3 HARPER, JOHN2, ROBERT1) was born March 8, 1800, and died May 22, 1871 in Alexandria, VA. He married ELIZA ARMISTEAD SELDEN October 16, 1845, daughter of WILSON SELDEN and MARY ALEXANDER.


The oldest son of John Lloyd

Had 8 children

Home "Mt. Ida" - now St. Mary's Academy.

"Exeter" burned 1931

Children of JOHN LLOYD and ELIZA SELDEN are:

i. MARY BOWLES6 LLOYD, d. Died age one year.



iv. NELLIE SELDEN LLOYD, b. March 3, 1853; d. March 15, 1931; m. GEORGE UHLER, August 8, 1876.


vi. ARTHUR SELDEN LLOYD, b. May 3, 1857, "Mt. Ida", Alexandria County, VA; d. July 22, 1936, Stanford, County; m. ELIZABETH ROBERTSON BLACKFORD, June 30, 1880.

7. SELINA5 LLOYD (JOHN4, SARAH3 HARPER, JOHN2, ROBERT1) was born September 30, 1808, and died August 4, 1871. She married CHARLES LEVEN POWELL September 28, 1830, son of CUTHBERT POWELL.


See John Lloyd for reference:

Had 2 sons & 4 daughters.

One of the daughters was named Selina called Nina (1842-1918) married the Rev. Sewell S Hepburn in 1871.

A schoolmate of Mrs Robert E Lee letters between them are on file see "The Powell and Lloyd families of Alexandria Vierginia by Frank Snowden Hopkins, 1988


i. SELINA6 POWELL, b. 1842; d. 1918; m. SAMUEL SEWELL HEPBURN.







9. REBECCA5 LLOYD (JOHN4, SARAH3 HARPER, JOHN2, ROBERT1) was born June 7, 1824, and died July 17, 1873. She married JOHN PROSSER TABB May 2, 1844.



Children of REBECCA LLOYD and JOHN TABB are:






10. ANN HARRIOTTE5 LLOYD (JOHN4, SARAH3 HARPER, JOHN2, ROBERT1) was born January 7, 1826, and died June 23, 1888. She married JOHN STEARNS July 19, 1848, son of JOHN STEARNS and SARAH KETCHUM.

Children of ANN LLOYD and JOHN STEARNS are:

i. MARY BARLOW6 STEARNS, b. November 27, 1850, Brooklyn NY; d. January 12, 1925, Elizabeth NJ; m. WILLIAM SCOFIELD HOGE, January 28, 1874, Lincoln M.H. VA (Source: "The Hoge, Nichols and Related Families - Biographical/Historical - A Sequential Arrangement of Genealogical Data", by William D. Nichols, 4578 Rain Park Drive, Fairview Park, OH 44126, Sept. 1969).

ii. JOHN LLOYD STEARNS, b. December 20, 1852, Brooklyn, NY; m. ELLA POWELL.

iii. REBECCA LLOYD STEARNS, b. June 7, 1856, Stratford, Conn; m. WILLIAM H HASTINGS, October 6, 1885.

iv. ROBERT LAWRENCE STEARNS, b. December 24, 1857, Alexandria, VA; d. June 11, 1888, Elizabeth NJ.

v. HARRIOTTE LEE STEARNS, b. May 1, 1849, Alexandria, VA; d. July 16, 1851, Brooklyn, NY.

11. GEORGE FRANCIS5 LLOYD (JOHN4, SARAH3 HARPER, JOHN2, ROBERT1) was born October 28, 1828, and died October 1, 1866. He married MARY PINDLE HAMMOND.

Children of GEORGE LLOYD and MARY HAMMOND are: