James Benjamin Dunbar and his wife, Mary Ann Wilkinson
James Benjamin &
Mary Ann Wilkinson Dunbar
James Benjamin Dunbar was the youngest son born to Thomas and Delilah
Cahoon Dunbar. Benjamin, or Benny, was born circa 1817. He married Mary
Ann Wilkinson circa 1847. Benjamin died around 1865. The children of Benjamin
and Mary Ann Wilkinson Dunbar were:
- William Benjamin Dunbar was born January 30, 1848 and died April
19, 1912. He married Margaret E. Gowers.
- Nancy Elizabeth Dunbar was born July 1850.
- Jane Elizabeth Dunbar was born in Dec. 1852 and died Oct. 17, 1911.
She married Benjamin L.S. Dunbar, son of James Dunbar, Sr. and Nancy Liverman
- George F. Dunbar was born on April 28, 1856. He married Nancy Monroe
Smith, daughter of Major James Smith and Mary Elizabeth Davis.
- Israel T. Dunbar was born in 1859.
- Mary Ann " Mamie" Dunbar was born in February 1860. She
married Caswell Jordan Squires.
- Alice Virginia Dunbar was born June 11, 1862. She married William
Penn Dunbar, March 12, 1879.
- Alexander "Alex" Norfleet Dunbar ( my great-grandfather)
was born April 3, 1864, in Beaufort Co., NC. He married Sarah Catherine
"Kate" Dunbar on May 13, 1888. Alex and Kate were distant cousins.
Alexander is buried in Hyde County in the A.N. Dunbar cemetery on Alligator
Lake Road #1303 while Kate is thought to be buried in Virginia since she
was living with a daughter at the time of her death. Alexander died May
The children of Alexander and Kate Dunbar were: Prushia Ann (my grandmother),
Hattie Ethel, Margaret Wilson, Hughie Eugene, Lesley Agness, Rose Lee,
William Ernest, Clarence Norfleet, and Ray Harold Dunbar.
- Prushia Ann Dunbar was born November 10, 1889, in New Lake, NC.
She first married I. W. Perry and they had one daughter, Aldean Barrette
Perry. Prushia Dunbar Perry married the second time to John Henry Baynor
(my grandfather) on December 5, 1915 in Pantego NC. John Henry was born
Sept. 18, 1884, son of John Alfred Baynor and Julia Hollis Baynor. Prushia
Dunbar Baynor died in 1941 and John Henry Baynor died October 19, 1948
in Long Acre, NC. They are both buried in the Long Acre Chapel Christian
Church cemetery, in Long Acre, NC. John and Prushia had five children,
Elvin Glenn, Howard Ellsworth, Theodore Hardin, Luther Jhue, and Jesse
(Information submitted by B.J. Roundtree, great-great-granddaughter
of Benjamin Dunbar.)
to Hyde Photos Page
to Hyde Biographies Page
Return to Hyde
County Home Page