Immigrants and Ships

Immigrants and Ships
Back Home Next

 

 

 

Home
Site Map
What's New?
Ancestors Discovered
Lost Photographs
Family Mysteries
Military Secrets
Old Places
The Sources
Cemeteries
Immigrants and Ships
Missing Links
Skeleton Closet
 

 

 

The Winthrop Fleet of 1630 consisted of eleven small sailing ships and was said to have carried the larges group of English passengers at one time to the New World up to that time.  The eleven ships included Arbella, Ambrose, Jewel, Talbot, Charles, Mayflower, William and Francis, Hopewell, Whale, Success and Trial.  The ships highlighted in bold letters carried passengers and the others transported freight and livestock.  The Mayflower, not the same as the 1620 Mayflower that brought the Pilgrims to Plymouth, carried Robert Seely.  This Mayflower dropped anchor in Charlestown Harbor on July 1, 1630 after a voyage that started at the end of April.  The above illustration is from Banks (2002) who states:

"The construction and model of these ships are shown in the accompanying illustrations of a typical craft of the early seventeenth century.  The bow with the high forecastle deck was occupied by the seamen before the mast, and the still higher poop deck on the stern which covered the cabin sheltered the quarters of the officers.  The space between these two towering structures, or 'between decks,' which was open on small vessels or fitted with a deck and a hold in large craft, was used for the cargo, the ordnance and stowing of the long boats  In this part of the ship, as we learn from Winthrop's story, 'some cabins' had been constructed, probably rough compartments of boards for women and children, while hammocks for the men were swung from every available point of vantage."

 

Route of the Winthrop Fleet.  

The above information and illustrations from Charles Edward Banks 2002, The Winthrop Fleet of 1630, An Account of the Vessels, the Voyage, the Passengers and their English Homes from Original Authorities.  Heritage Books Inc. Bowie, Maryland.

The William Tapscott built in 1852, carried Charles William MANN across the Atlantic from England in 1859   While on this voyage he married Livina Ann Smith.  Photograph by Permission of the Peabody Essex Museum, East India Square, Salem, MA 01970

The William Tapscott was one of the largest full-rigged ships built in Maine during the 1850s. She was a typical "Down Easter"-sturdy, moneymaking, moderately sparred, and designed for carrying capacity. She was a three-decker with a square stern and billethead. Among her owners, including her namesake, were such well-known mariners as William Drummond, Gilbert C. Trufant, and George B. Cornish. She hailed from New York. After plying the oceans for about forty years the William Tapscott was lost in the English Channel in the early 1890s.

The William Tapscott: 1525 tons: 195 x 41 x 21
Built: 1852 by William Drommond at Bath, Maine

The above from Conway B. Sonne.  Ships, Saints, and Mariners: A Maritime Encyclopedia of Mormon Migration 1830-1890  (Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 1983) pp. 198-199.

 

The Minnesota, built in 1866, carried Joseph and Marie Hirschvogel [they came form Bavaria but got on board the Minnesota in England.]  to the United States in 1869.  Photograph by Permission of the Peabody Essex Museum, East India Square, Salem, MA 01970