Davidson - Davison Family Resource - Upper Monongahela Valley West Virginia
DAVIDSON - DAVISON FAMILY RESOURCE
UPPER MONONGAHELA VALLEY - WEST VIRGINIA
Genealogical & Personal History of the Upper Monongahela Valley West Virginia
under the editorial supervision of Bernard L. Butcher Volume II
pgs 1167 & 1168
The Davidsons of Fayette county, PA from whom spring theDavidsons of Morgantown, WV descend from the ancient Scotch family of Davidson, who trace to Malcolm, chief of the clan Dhaividh or Davidson. The chief of the clan are descendants from its chief David, second son of King David I, of Scotland, who on the accession of his brother to the throne of Scotland, took the leadership of part of the clan of Chaltan and thereupon assumed the name of Mac Dhai or Davidson. From Scotland a branch settled in Ireland and from that country came several of the early western PA settlers bearing the name Davidson.
(I) Jeremiah Davidson is supposed to have been one of these settlers. He is first known to have been in Mercer county, PA but his stay there must have been short, as there is no record there of his having been taxed. Prior to the year 1800 he is found in Fayette county, PA, where he continued the operation of the old Crawford Ferry across the Monongahela river and resided in Luzerne township. This ferry was established by John Crawford, and after passing out of the Davidson hands was known as Jacob's Ferry. Jeremiah Davidson was in Fayette county, however, prior to his operating the ferry, as there are recollections of him assisting in the organization of a party of settlers and going with them on an expedition to take vengeance upon a band of Indians who had been raiding the neighborhood. His first ferry boat is said to have been a dugout, which he soon replaced with a flat boat. He owned a farm, and in addition to ferry and farm was also a boat builder, constructing his own boats and barges and filling the orders for others needing his style of river craft. He made several trading trips down the river, loading his boat with products of the farm and selling both load and barge at lower river points. He maintained the ferry until his death in 1850. The old Davidson property passed into the hands of Adam Jacobs, of Brownsville in 1862. He married Anna Alexander. Children: Henry Alexander, of whom further; Elizabeth married George Brown.
(II) Henry Alexander, son of Jeremiah and Anna (Alexander) Davidson, was born at Davidson's Ferry in Luzerne township, Fayette county, PA 1805. He worked with his father on farm and ferry, later settling in Cumberland township, Greene county, where he engaged in farming. He married Elizabeth Gallagher. They were the parents of eight children, one of whom was Jeremiah, of whom further.
(III) Jeremiah (2), son of Henry Alexander and Elizabeth (Gallagher) Davidson, was born in Cumberland township, Greene county, PA May 26, 1834, died in July 1900. He was a farmer until 1875, when he went into the hotel business. Still later he entered the livery and undertaking business. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the encampment at Waynesburg, Greene county, PA. He was a Presbyterian and a Democrat. He married (first) in 1856 Selanta Flennikn, (second) Harriet Jane (Stone) Hatfield, who married (first) Ira J. Hatfield. Children, three by first, two by second wife: John Calvin; Frank Francis; Minnie, died at the age of twelve; George S., now a liveryman at Morgantown, Monongalia county, West Virginia; Henry Alexander, of whom further.
(IV) Henry Alexander (2) son of Jeremiah (2) and Harriet Jane (Stone-Hatfield) Davidson, was born at Carmichael, Greene county, PA March 24, 1878. He was educated in the public schools and the State Normal School at California, Washington county, PA. He worked for his father until 1900, and on April 1, 1901 removed to Morgantown WV, where he is engaged in the livery and undertaking business. He is a member of Lodge, Chapter and Commandery of the Masonic Order; is an Odd Fellow and past exalted ruler of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (local lodge) 1911-12
Transcribed by Helen Satterfield
Contact Site Administrators