David Garard and Elender Gerard

David Garard and Elender Gerard

An article in the Shelbyville Banner Aug 16, 1860: David Garard of Washington Township had all the fingers of one hand torn off by a threshing machine a few days ago.

Eleanor was granted a divorce from David Oct 29, 1883, Order Book 11, p. 394. After the divorce, David went to Missouri where he married again.

His will names his heirs and is recorded in Carroll Co., Missouri, Book G, Pg. 62-64.

The following is quoted from Frances Spurlin Garard's notes (1929):" The Garard and Spurlin family lived so they would have joined farms if it had not been for Lewis Creek dividing them. There was a new road put through; it left the two houses off the road. The Garard's was a nice place; but it is burned down now. Grandma Garard smoked a pipe and her man told her that he was going to get a young wife, because she was old and stunk and he wanted someone young and fresh. One day she said she wanted the horse and buggy hitched up; so she could to town. The old man told one who was staying there to hitch up the buggy for her; which he did. When the buggy came up, she had her clothes packed and in going to the buggy she said, "David, I am leaving you for good. I am never coming back." "All right", he said and that's the way they parted, not mad at each other.

Not long after, he was subpoenaed to appear at her divorce trial. Some said she was going to lose all she had for she was not learned, could not even spell her own name: but others said she had a lawyer to look out for her, he was learned enough. Sure enough she got the home place and household goods and he got one bed and enough covers to keep warm in one bed.

She lived on alone until her health was poor, then after trying to live with her children in with her--she got an old lady for two dollars a week to stay with her until the end--then they gave the old lady her clothes.

He went to Kansas (City)and married a woman (28) twenty-eight years, a German named Emma. They lived in Noblesville on the road to the cemetery a year or so, she saw so many funeral processions, she decided it was a sickly place and moved West."