Duncan research files of
US Land Patents in Missouri and many other states are available on the Internet from the Bureau of Land Management, General Land Office Records (address as of 6/2001)
US Land Sales, Missouri, Abstracts (FHL film 984,765)
(Sales are by office (city) where entry made, by volume, and by chronological order in each city for that time period. The columes do not have headings, but appear to be date, name, acres?, ? (usually blank), description of land by 1/4 and/or 1/2 sec or ?, Section #, Township & Range (Range & Township ?). I looked for a sale of land in Twp 58, Range 34, to Charles Duncan - none found, but that part of the state was apparently sold from the Lexington office)
Vol. 1 (to 1832) - not looked at
2-149: 9 Dec. 1831, Elijah Duncan, 80 acres, -, W 1/2 of SE 1/4, 7, 43, 2E (St.Louis office)
2-161: 10 Sept. 1832, Elijah Duncan, 39 acres, 37 ?, NW 1/4 of NE 1/4, 7, 43, 2E (St.Louis office)
2-169: 18 Feb. 1833, Elijah Duncan, 39 acres, 37 ?, SW 1/4 of NE 1/4, 7, 43, 2E, Franklin Co. (St.Louis office)
2-198: 7 March 1834, Elijah Duncan, 80 acres, -, E 1/2 of NE 1/4, 37, 43, 2E (St.Louis Office)
2-251: 8 May 1834, Alexander B. Duncan, 40 acres?, -, SW NE, 11, 50? (56? 53?), 33? (Lexington office)
2-461: 1835 (no other date), Nathaniel A. Duncan, 40 acres, -, NW NE, 13, 48, 14 (Fayette office)
2-461: 1835, Nathaniel A. Duncan, 40 acres, -, SE SW, 12?, 48, 14 (Fayette office)
Vol. 3 not on film; Vol. 4 1836-1837
4-10: (no date, but film is 1836-1837), Richard Duncan, 40 acres, SE NW, 35, 43, 2E (St.Louis office)
Checked Lexington Office, 1837-1841 - no land sold in Twp. 58, range 34, to anyone, although land sold in nearby townships and ranges.
Index of MO and AR and Partial IL (C-D) Land Patentees, War of 1812; Warrants (Index on FHL film 983,163)
Sec. 1, MO Index (p.56)
#13766: Duncan, William, Corporal, Talbot's 19th Inf., located Feb. 9, 1819, in NW 27-55-16. (NW 1/4 Sec.27 T55 R16) (from warrant on FHL film 983,170)
#21346: Dunnan, William, (rank blank), Gates Co. of Artillery, located May 8, 1819, in SE 25-56-17. (from warrant on FHL film 983,173)
#21562: Duncan, Lewis, (rank blank), Zantzinger's Corp. of Artillery, located May 17, 1819, in SE 36-56-20. (from warrant on FHL film 983,174)
#22413 (indexed as #22433): Duncan, Coleman, Matross in Hobart's Light Artillery, located Aug. 27, 1819, in SW 11-56-19 (from warrant on FHL film 983,174)
Sec. 2, AR Patentees, from G.L.O. (General Land Office) Patent Book
Vol.2 p.270: Duncan, Jeptha, #24,332; in NE (1/4 of Sec.) 35, (Twp) 10N, (Range) 7W (no dates)
Vol.2 p.433: Dunkum, Ephraim, heirs of, #24,262; NE 18 2N 3E
Vol.8 p.427: Duncan, alias Dunkin, Anderson, #25,043; SE 11 14N 4W
Vol.10 p.154: Duncan, George heirs, #25,618; SE 23 7N 14W
Vol.12 p.449: Duncan, Thomas, #24,945; NE 28 1S 2E
Vol.13 p.6: Duncan, Daniel, #354; S 1/2 35 10N 4W
Sec. 3, IL (Partial) -- no Duncan
Sec. 4, Patentees Under Act of 1842 -- no Duncan
"List of private claims presented to the House of Representatives of the US from the 1st to the 31st Congress, inclusive" (from Joe Hammond 8/1984)
Pgs.552-3: Name of Claimants; nature or object of the claim; congress; session; how brought before the House of Rep.; Page of journal; to what committee of the House referred; No. or date of the report; nature of the report; No. of the bill; how disposed of by the House of Reps.; how disposed of by the Senate; Date of the act of Congress and remarks.
Duncan, David; Grant of land; 21st; 2nd; Pet. of citizens of Missouri; pg. 272; Public Lands Committee (other columns blank)
Duncan, Captain James (Mo.); Invalid pension; 21st; 1st; Petition; pg. 426; Invalid Pensions Committee; April 15, 1836; Adverse report; Laid on table
Duncan, Captain James (Mo.); Invalid pension; 24th; 2nd; Petition; pg. 147; Invalid Pensions Committee; Jan. 13, 1837; Adverse report; Laid on table
Duncan, Captain James (Mo.); Invalid pension; 25th; 2nd; Petition; pg. 401; Invalid Pensions Committee; Discharged; Laid on table
Duncan, Captain James (Mo.); Invalid pension; 25th; 3rd; Petition; pg. 129; Invalid Pensions Committee; Discharged; Laid on table
Duncan, Matthew (Mo.); Confirmation of land title; 18th; 1st; Petition; pg. 287; Public Lands Committee (other columns blank)
Duncan, Matthew (Mo.); Permission to change location of land; 18th; 1st; Resolution; pg. 317; Public Lands Committee (other columns blank)
Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Soldiers Who Served During War of 1812; National Archives Roll 62, Microcopy 602 (FHL film 882,580, Dun to Duq)
All last names are Duncan unless otherwise noted (MAD: have interfiled by first name); all entered service as privates and were discharged as privates unless otherwise listed. Vols = Volunteers; Mil = Militia
James; Capt. Tinnen's Co. Mtd. MO Mil
John; Capt. Wood's Co. IL & MO Mil
Robert Dunkin; Col. McNair's Mtd. Reg. IL & MO Mil
Robert; Capt. Woods' Co. IL & MO Mil
Also see the published abstracts and indexes to military records by Virgil D. White for Duncans who served in the Indian Wars and the Mexican War.
Alleghany Co. NC Original Probate Records (FHL film 1,651,918)
FRANKLIN DUNCAN, 1898 (not all documents extracted). ... Petition to Superior Court, D.R. Duncan admin. of Franklin Duncan decd, vs. H.A. Duncan, Calvin Duncan, Oliver Duncan, G.W. Duncan, Isam B. Waganer and wife Rosa Waganer, Dobson Waganer and wife Peggy Waganer, Wm. Jennings and wife Teny Jennings, J.J. Hampton and wife Jane (last name not given), Bryson Kirby and wife Julia Kirby, Tyre Duncan, Richard Edwards and wife Eunice Edwards; that Franklin Duncan died in 1898; petitioner qualified as administrator in 1898, he died owing money, no personal estate but owned two tracts of land, one known as "Susan Wolf" lands adj. David Richardson, M. Hudson and Martha J. Wolf (acres not given), and the other adj. poor house lands, 30a; Franklin Duncan left ten children: petitioner and H.A. Duncan, Calvin Duncan, Oliver Duncan, G.W. Duncan, Rosa Waganer, Peggy Waganer, Teny Jennings, Jane Hampton, Julia Kirby, and two grandchildren, Tyra Duncan and Eunice Edwards, being children of Wesley Duncan, a decd son of Franklin Duncan; all heirs live in Alleghany Co. except Jane Hampton and Julia Kirby who live in Grayson Co. VA, and Tyra Duncan and G.W. Duncan who live in the State of Missouri; petition to sell land.
1878 "History of Morgan County, Illinois, its past and present : containing a history of the county; its cities, towns, etc.; a biographical directory of its citizens; war record of its volunteers in the late rebellion; portraits of its early settlers and prominent men; general and local statistics ... map of Morgan County ..." pub. by Donnelley, Loyd & Co. Publ. (FHL book 977.346 H2h and FHL film 1,000,507 item 5)
Pg.544: "Morgan County Directory" DUNCAN, J.C., farmer and stockraiser, Sec. 24, P.O. Waverly. Mr. D. was born in North Carolina, May, 1840. His parents, moving to Virginia, he there remained until he attained his fourteenth year, when he went to Missouri, where his mother died. The father, not altogether pleased with the prospect in Missouri, removed to Virginia. Of a restless, stirring disposition, however, prior to the rebellion he made his way to Illinois, where he lived in the several counties of Morgan, Sangamon and Macoupin. J.C., who heads this sketch, married Mrs. Arminda J. Allis, relict of Richard Allis, and a daughter of Andrew J. Stice, an old pioneer of this county. Mrs. Duncan died April 27, 1878, leaving to the care of her husband five children: Clara A., Ira J., Irwin L., Minnie A., and Chas. W. (MAD: Jonathan Columbus Duncan, 1850 Grayson Co. VA census)
1887 "Portrait and Biographical Album of Washington County, Iowa : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county" pub. by Acme Publ. Co. (FHL book 977.792 D3p)
Pg.508-9: ALEXANDER DUNCAN, of Washington, is another one of the truly representative pioneers of Washington County, having made this his home since 1847, a period of forty years. He is a native of Ireland, born in 1813, and is the son of John and Elizabeth Duncan, both of whom were also natives of that country. When Alexander was about seven years of age, the family emigrated to America and located in Somerset Co. PA, where they remained eight years, and then moved to Washington County, in the same State. In 1833 they removed to Richland Co. OH, where Mr. Duncan died in his one hundredth year. Mrs. Duncan died in Coshocton Co. OH, from a cancer, in her 86th year. .... They were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and were among the first to embrace that faith in the days of John and Charles Wesley. Five children were born unto them, of whom two are yet living -- Samuel, now living in Missouri, and Alexander, in Washington, Iowa. (MAD: see Washington Co. IA for more)
1885 "History of St. Charles, Montgomery and Warren Counties, Missouri : written and compiled from the most authentic official and private sources, including a history of their townships, towns and villages, together with a condensed history of Missouri ..." orig. pub. by National Historical Co.; pub. by Paul V. Cochrane, 1969 (FHL book 977.83 H2hs and film 1,000,309 item 7; Los Angeles Public Library book 977.8 H6737 and from Louis Boone 3/1984)
Pgs.6-7: In 1804, Congress, by an act passed in April of the same year, divided Louisiana into two parts, the "Territory of Orleans," and the "District of Louisiana," known as "Upper Louisiana." This district included all that portion of the old province, north of "Hope Encampment," on the Lower Mississippi, and embraced the present State of Missouri, and all the western region of the country to the Pacific Ocean, and all below the forty-ninth degree of north latitude not claimed by Spain.
As a matter of convenience, on March 26th, 1804, Missouri was placed within the jurisdiction of the government of the Territory of Indiana, and its government put in motion by Gen. William H. Harrison, then governor of Indiana. ... until the admission of the State into the Union, in 1821.
The portions of Missouri which were settled, for the purposes of local government were divided into four districts.
Cape Girardeau was the first, and embraced the territory between Tywappity Bottom and Apple Creek [MAD: apparently southern portion; Apple Creek runs E-W north of town of Cape Girardeau].
Ste. Genevieve, the second, embraced the territory from Apple Creek to the Meramec River [MAD: apparently northwest wedge above Cape Girardeau; Meramec River runs NE-SW through Crawford Co.].
St. Louis, the third, embraced the territory between the Meramec and Missouri Rivers [MAD: north of Ste. Genevieve; Missouri River runs E-W from St. Louis to Kansas City, then due north].
St. Charles, the fourth, included the settled territory, between the Missiouri and Mississippi Rivers [MAD: apparently northern half of state.]. ...
Pg.24-25: Five years after the founding of St. Louis the first settlement made in Northern Missouri was made near St. Charles, in St. Charles County, in 1769. The name given to it, and which it retained till 1784, was Les Petities Cotes, signifying, Little Hills. The town site was located by Blanchette, a Frenchman, surnamed LeChasseur, who built the first fort in the town and established there a military post.
Soon after the establishment of the military post at St. Charles, the old French village of Portage des Sioux, was located on the Mississippi, just below the mouth of the Illinois River, and at about the same time a Kickapoo village was commenced at Clear Weather Lake. The present town site of New Madrid, in New Madrid county, was settled in 1781, by French Canadians, it then being occupied by Delaware Indians. The place now known as Big River Mills, St. Francois county, was settled in 1796 ... In 1796, settlements were made in Perry county by emigrants from Kentucky and Pennsylvania ... Bird's Point, in Mississippi county, opposite Cairo, Illinois, was settled Aug. 6, 1800 ... Warren county was settled in 1801. ....
In 1807, Nathan and Daniel M. Boone, sons of the great hunter and pioneer, in company with three others, went from St. Louis to "Boone's Lick," in Howard county, where they manufactured salt and formed the nucleus of a small settlement.
Cote Sans Dessein, now called Bakersville, on the Missouri River, in Callaway county, was settled by the French in 1801. ... During the war of 1812, at this place many hard-fought battles occurred between the whites and Indians, ...
In 1810, a colony of Kentuckians numbering one hundred and fifty families immigrated to Howard county, and settled on the Missouri River in Cooper's Bottom near the present town of Franklin and opposite Arrow Rock.
1908 "A history of Missouri from the earliest explorations and settlements until the admission of the state into the Union" 3 Vols., by Louis Houck, pub. by R.R. Donnelley (FHL book 977.8 H2h and films 1,697,679 items 2-3 and 1,320,710 item 1; from Louis Boone 1984)
Pg.56-7: Chapter on Colonel George Morgan, who came to upper Louisiana with a view of establishing an American colony in the Spanish possessions near the mouth of the Ohio, ... visited St. Louis in connection with this project. [ca 1792 from footnote about Perez, who wrote a letter regarding Col. Morgan's visit.] [continuation of footnote 116, apparently of very early settlers in St. Louis area] ... Prior to and in 1803, other residents were: ... Robert Simpson bought property here prior to 1805; ... Mathew and John Kerr; ... [many French names, some with occupations] ... Robert Duncan; ...
Pg.64-9: Chapter on St. Ferdinand, Dunegant, Bellefontaine: When the US took possession of Louisiana, the St. Louis district embraced all the territory between the Maramec and the Missouri and extended indefinitely west. The largest settlement in the district outside of St. Louis was St. Ferdinand, or San Fernando de Florissant (on Cold Water river). ... This region was known as Florissant ... long before it received the name of St. Ferdinand. [Footnote, pg.67-68] ... In addition to these we find the following American settlers, either in the village and south of fork of the Missouri river, or in the adjacent territory: Edmond Hodges, who was syndic in the neighborhood in 1787; ... William Musick (1795), from Kaskaskia, also David and Thomas R. Musick, David was also at Marais des Liards in 1797, and part of the family on Feefee in 1800; ... Thomas Williams (1797), on the Maramec and Williams creek in 1800; Samuel, William, and Amos Duncan (1797), Amos afterwards removed to Pearl river in the Mississippi territory; ... Thomas Hooper (1797); ... [other Hodge names in 1798, "all these seem to have been on the Missouri near the town;"] ... Others here at an early date: ... Joel L. Musick; ....
Vol.II, pg.154-5: Vandenbenden: The precise jurisdiction of the commandants at New Madrid and Cape Girardeau were for a time a matter of dispute. This New Madrid jurisdiction appears to have at one time extended at least as far north as the so-called Big Swamp, a bottom about three miles wide, located immediately south of Cape Girardeau city, and called by the French Grand Marais. The New Madrid district always embraced the Tywappity bottom, situated opposite the mouth of the Ohio, as well as all the country as far west as White River. Before the establishment of the civil and military post of Cape Girardeau, the jurisdiction of the commandant of New Madrid extended as far north as Cinque Homme creek, this creek being named as the northern limit of the claim of Morgan. On the south, the jurisdiction of the Arkansas post seems to have extended as far north as the mouth of the St. Francois and west to White river, ....
The principal settlement near New Madrid was located on Lake St. Ann ... On Lake St. Marys, Stephen and Joseph St. Marie, though residents of New Madrid, in 1791, had their plantations, so also Francois St. Marie dit Bourbon. (Footnote:) The first plantations were opened by David Shelby (1796) of Pennsylvania, ...; William Dunkin (Duncan) (1801), a Madame Dunkins presented a bill against the estate of Thomas Brucks for nursing him in last sickness; .... [MAD: apparently in the settlement on Lake St. Marys].
Vol.II, pg.145: New Madrid district evidently changed, at one time extended as far north as the Big Swamp about 3 miles wide and located immediately south of Cape Girardeau City, always embraced the Tywappity Bottom opposite the Ohio River as far west as the White River, before the establishment of Cape Girardeau district. Seems to have extended into Arkansas.
1912 "(History of) Southeast Missouri, a narrative account of its historical progress, its people and its principal interests" 2 Vols., by Robert Sidney Douglass; pub. by Lewis Pub. Co. (Los Angeles Public Library book 977.8 D737; FHL book 977.89 H2d and film 1,000,278 items 1-2)
Counties of Ste. Genevieve, Cape Girardeau, New Madrid, Madison, Washington, Perry, St. Francois, Bollinger, Pemiscot, Dunklin, Mississippi.
Pg.81: District of New Madrid. As originally defined by the Spanish in the grant to Morgan, the District of New Madrid extended from the Cinque Homme, south to the mouth of the St. Francois, and west a distance of ten or 15 miles, though the western boundary was not exactly located. Out of the north part of this district was carved the District of Cape Girardeau and after this was done New Madrid District was bounded on the north by Tywappity Bottoms. The exact line between Cape Girardeau district and New Madrid district was, however, for a long time a matter of dispute. It was finally settled by the governor-general and located at a point about five miles south of the present town of Commerce. The western boundary was left unsettled; however, the district was generally understood to extend as far west as there were settlements. .... The southern boundary of the District of New Madrid was generally understood as about the present southern boundary of the state. It was fixed not by any order or enactment but by the fact that settlements extended only about that far to the south.
"Territorial Papers, Louisiana-Missouri Territory, 1806-1814" Vol.XIV (CA State University, Sacramento, library book)
Pg.378-397: Land Commissioners to the Secretary of the Treasury, March 15, 1810; cover letter for letter from William Russell, St. Louis, to the Land Commissioners and William C. Carr, 14 March 1810; letter from Russell is cover letter for memorials of inhabitants of Territory of Louisiana, no date, 1810. Memorial (petition) that the inhabitants have seen a large portion of their just and bona fide claims to land, formerly provided for by Spanish custom and usage, rejected. That there are many defects in the present laws and regulations in regard to their land claims. That the 2nd section of the law of Congress passed 2 March 1805 used the words "one mile square together with" which seemed to mean not less than a mile square; that under the faith of this section of law, claimants have bought and sold these kind of claims and bound themselves to guarantee the title to at least a mile square; that the commissioners issued certificates that the claimants under this section of the law were entitled to 640 acres at least; that if this section of law can now be interpreted to mean one hundred arpens to the settler, it might as well be construed to mean nothing. ... Machanicks (sic) and others who lived in towns had no idea of forfeiting their right, for want of occupying the particular tracts conceded to them, if claims like those are now to be rejected under the 4th Sec. of the law of Congress passed 3 March 1807. For want of three years cultivation, such construction will impair the obligations of bona fide contracts made in good faith under the Spanish government. The 2nd Sec. of the law of Congress passed 2 March 1805 confirms land on (certain conditions) to claimants actually inhabiting and cultivating their claims on 20 Dec. 1803. (Objections to having to occupy their land on a particular day, instead of for a time; mentions that if they had known of the treaty which ceded Louisiana to France, and which transferred it to the US, they would have completed their titles.) Section 6 of subscribers signed by William Dunkin among others, and forwarded by Col. Stephen Byrd Esqr. of Dist. C. girardeau (sic) to post master in St. Louis. Another section signed in New Madrid Township of Big Prarie. Sec. 14 signed by Thos. Musick and others, no location given. Sec. 19 signed by James Musick and others, location "to mouth of Coldwater". Sec. 22 signed by William, David, Uri, John, Abraham and Jesse Musik or Musick and others, no location given. A total of 986 signatures.
"Territorial Papers, Louisiana-Missouri Territory, 1815-1821" Vol.XV (CA State University Sacramento, library book)
Pg.130: Reference in letter April 22, 1816, to James M. Duncan being willing to accept a contract to survey between the St. Francis and Arkansas River "before next fall."
The website of the Missouri Secretary of State contains material from their archives (web address from Charles Dalton 9/2002, with information that they cover several counties and are adding more all the time and that they include birth and death records)
Return to Index to Duncan Research Files in Missouri
Return to The Genealogy Bug's Home Page