Pennsylvania Records

Pennsylvania Biographies


Report Of The Commission To Locate The Site Of The Frontier Forts Of Pennsylvania - Fort Pitt.

Blockhouse At Bull Creek (Allegheny County).

In the biographical sketch of Captain Robert Orr, of Armstrong county, which was published in the Kittanning Gazette for Sept., 1833, it is stated that Captain Orr, on returning from his captivity at Montreal whither he had been sent for exchange after his capture, with others taken at the massacre of Lochry¹s party in 1781 (he), in the summer of 1783, raised another company for the defense of the frontier, to serve two months; and that "he marched them to the mouth of Bull creek, northwest of the Allegheny river, built a blockhouse there, and served out the necessary term." (Quoted in Day¹s Historical Coll., page 98.)

This point is now Tarentum, Allegheny county. * * * There is some evidence to indicate that this was a place of some importance sometime earlier, although there is nothing to indicate that there was a blockhouse here for a rendezvous. It is probable that this was the place meant in the order which Col. Brodhead gave to Lieut. John Jamison, Nov. 27, 1779, directing him to evacuate Fort Armstrong (Kittanning), in which he says, after considering that he might not be able to transport all the store by water, "if not you must have recourse to pack horses, which you can receive from Capt. Carnahan,

who is now with a party at Bulls town or the mouth of Kiskiminetas."

(Brodhead¹s Letter Book No. 101, Arch xii. 193.)

THE HISTORY OF BUCKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, CHAPTER XIX, HISTORICAL CHURCHES, 1710 TO 1744. from the discovery of the Delaware to the present time by W. W. H. Davis, A.M., 1876 and 1905* editions..


Charles Beatty, son of an officer of the British army, born in Ireland about 1715, and came to America in 1729. He began life as a peddler, but stopping at the Log College with his pack, Mr. Tennent discovered he was a good classical scholar, and advised him to dispose of his goods and study for the ministry. He succeeded his preceptor at Neshaminy in 1743, married a daughter of Governor Reading, of New Jersey, in 1746, was present at the coronation of George III, and present at court, in 1758, and died in the

West Indies, in 1772. He was the ancestor of [the late*] John Beatty, of Doylestown;

On December 1, 1743, Reverend Charles Beatty was ordained "to the congregation of Warwick in ye forks of Neshaminy," on a salary of £60, increased to 100 pounds, or $260 at the end of twenty years. Here Mr.

Beatty spent his life, absenting himself from his charge only on three occasions, on a missionary visit to the frontiers in 1766, when chaplain to Franklin's regiment in 1755 (8), and a visit to the West Indies in 1771, to collect money for Princeton college, and where he died. In 1745 Neshaminy and "adjacent places" raised 14 pounds .5s 10d. to build a school-house and buy books for Brainard's Indians. The division in the

church was consummated during his pastorate. The old church was in the present graveyard, where it stood for several years after the new one was built. Mr. Beatty was succeeded by Reverend Nathaniel Irwin in 1774, who was installed May 18th, and remained until he death, in 1812

(8) Franklin says: "We had for our chaplain a zealous Presbyterian minister, Mr. Beatty, who complained to me that the men did not generally attend his prayers and exhortations. Whey they enlisted they were promised, besides pay and provisions, a gill of rum a day, which was fortunately served out to them half in the morning and half in the evening, and I observed they were punctual in attending to receive it, upon which I said to Mr. Beatty: 'It is perhaps below the dignity of your profession to act as steward of the rum, but if you were to distribute it out only just after prayers, you would have them all about you.' He liked the thought, undertook the task, and with the help of a few hands to measure out the liquor, executed it to satisfaction, and never were prayers more generally or more punctually attended. So that I think this method preferable to the punishment inflicted by some military laws for non-attendance on divine service."

Bios: BEATTY, William 1807-1851: Butler, Butler Co, PA

Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774-1949

page 830

BEATTY, William, a Representative from Pennsylvania; born in Stewartstown, County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1787; immigrated to the United States in 1807 and settled in Butler, Butler County, Pa.; was a sergeant in Captain Thompson's company in the War of 1812; sheriff of Butler County 1823-1826; elected as a

Van Buren Democrat to the Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth Congresses (March 4, 1837-March 3, 1841); member of the State house of representatives 1840-1842; appointed deputy sheriff of Butler County; died in Butler, Pa., April 12, 1851; interment in the Old Butler Cemetery.

Bios: Austin BEATTY, 1844-: Bell Twp, Clearfield Co, PA

AUSTIN BEATTY, one of the best known residents of Bell Township, where he has lived for many years, having settled on his present farm when he was twenty one years of age, was born October 19, 1844, in Indiana County, Pa., and is a son of James O. and Christiana (Miller ) Beatty.

James O. Beatty was born in 1819 in the old Beatty homestead in Indiana County, where his parents, Joseph and Catherine (Orr ) Beatty had settled when they came from Ireland In 1831 he came to Bell Township, settling on the old Samuel McGee farm, which he partly cleared and lived on until 1860, when he moved to Chest Falls where he resided for seven years.

From there he moved to the present Beatty farm and during the remainder of his life was engaged in

farming and lumbering. His death occurred in Sept. 25, 1891. He was a member of the Methodist Protestant Church. In politics he was a Democrat and on numerous occasions was elected to office. He married Christiana Miller who was born in October 1819, a daughter of John and Catherine McLaren Miller.

Three children of James O. Beatty and wife still survive, namely ; Austin, Foster, who is a farmer in Bell Township; and Huston who lives in Clarion County, Pa. Austin Beatty was not more than twelve years of age when he became his fathers chief helper on the homestead and he assisted his parents until he

was twenty one years old, when he came to the farm he has occupied ever since. He was one of the first settlers in this section of the township, north of McGee Mills and built the first log cabin. He has followed general farming and lumbering since twenty one years of age and has spent almost all his life here, his longest period of absence being when he served in the Civil War. He enlisted in 1864 in Company H, Fifty Eighth Pa. Vol. Inf. And was mustered out near Richmond, Virginia, where he had been mainly detailed

on picket duty, following the surrender of General Lee. He then returned home and engaged in saw milling and farming. He has long been recognized as one of the representative men of his township, and his judgement is consulted and his opinion is asked in all public matters in his section. He is a Democrat

in politics and has served many terms as a School Director.

On October 5th, 1865 Mr. Beatty was married to Miss Rachel Young, who was born in Clarion County, Pa. in 1842. A daughter of Joseph and Mary Hawk Young, the former of whom died in 1856 and the latter in 1851. They were natives of Butler County, Pa. Mrs Beatty has one brother, Joseph Young, who lives in Indiana County. Mr. and Mrs. Beatty have had the following children; Clark, who is a farmer, married Letha Baker and they have 6 children; Annis D. who is the wife of C. Flory who works in the tannery at Mahaffey, and they have 6 children; Willis who lives in Newtonburg, Pa. married Elizabeth Stigers and they have 5 children; John who lives near Clearfield married Myrtle Coleman and they have 5 children; and George, Mary, and Ward, all 3 of whom are deceased. Mr. Beatty is a leading member of the Methodist Protestant Church in Bell Township and is one of the church Trustees.

Bios: Thomas & Martha Beatty Johnson, 1770s: Antrim Twp, then Cumberland Co, PA

Martha Beatty, daughter of James Beatty, was born in Antrim township, Cumberland county, Pa., May 21, 1748. Her parents were emigrants from the Province of Ulster, Ireland, and were the first settlers in that locality, some three miles south of the present town of Greencastle. The daughter was the youngest of a large family of children, grew up to be a woman of education and refinement, and about the year 1770 married Thomas Johnston, the son of James Johnston, an intelligent farmer, also an early settler in the neighborhood.

Wills: Index to Will Abstracts, A-Z Surnames: 1750 - 1825: Cumberland Co, PA

BEATTY, HENRY. 2 September 1772. B. 128-129. willbka-b.txt

BEATTY, JAMES. March 7, 1795. E. 342. willbke.txt

BEATTY, SAML. September 24, 1791. E. 316. willbke.txt

BEATY, JOHN. October 22, 1790. E. 201-202. willbke.txt

ORR, JAMES. 18 August 1768. A. 189. willbka-b.txt

ORR, JOHN. December 12, 1794. E. 335. willbke.txt

ORR, MARTHA. January 3, 1821. I. 195. willbki.txt

ORR, WILLIAM. 26 March 1770. B. 35-36. willbka-b.txt

Pennsylvania Biographies

Bios: Ba-Bl Surnames: Gresham and Wiley, 1889: Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia, Fayette Co, PA

Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Fayette County, Pennsylvania

editorially managed by John M. Gresham

assisted in the compilation by Samuel T. Wiley, A Citizen of the County

Compiled and Published by John M. Gresham & Co. Chicago: 1889

Beatty, C S Dunbar 413

CHARLES SHEARER BEATTY is a native of Dunbar township, Fayette county, Penna, and was born July 27, 1843. He is descended from an Irish family on the paternal and a German family on the maternal side.

His paternal great grandfather of New Jersey served as a soldier in the War of 1812. After the war he removed to Centre county, Penna. He had three sons: Samuel Beatty, James Beatty and John Beatty, who were in the war with him.

Samuel Beatty engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods at New Haven, soon removed to Belleville, Washington county, Penna, and there engaged in the mercantile business which he followed until 1840 when he moved to "Little" Washington, Washington county, Penna, and engaged in the woolen business. For twenty five years he was considered one of the largest wool dealers in the county. He is still living at Washington.

His brother James Beatty died at Cool Spring Furnace, this county, in about 1849.

John Beatty, paternal grandfather was born in New Jersey, removed to Centre county, Penna, and settled at Cool Spring Furnace, this county, about 1820. He was a common laborer and married Isabella Hyndman.

Her father, Charles Shearer, was a native of Germany, born about 1768, and came to Baltimore about 1790. He engaged in the fish trade, and married Elizabeth Gamble.

Colonel James Beatty, father, was a son of John Beatty and Isabella Hyndman Beatty, and was born August 21, 1822, in Fayette county, Penna. He was a farmer, colonel of a regiment of state militia that offered its services in the Mexican war, but was never called out. Colonel Beatty was married to Sarah J Shearer on July 25, 1842. They had nine children, five sons and four daughters: Charles S Beatty, Mary Beatty, Isabella Beatty, William Beatty, John Beatty, Alice Beatty, Emma Beatty, Louisa Beatty, and Robert Beatty.

Charles S Beatty was educated in the common schools and is now engaged in farming in Dunbar township. He has lived for twenty years in that township, has taught school for sixteen years, and has never taught out of Dunbar except for one year. He has served continuously from 1876 to 1879 as school director of Dunbar township, and was secretary of the board. He was secretary of the democratic county committee in 1873-74.

In the fall of 188, Mr Beatty was elected from Fayette county to the House of Representatives of Pennsylvania, and was the only candidate on the democratic ticket at that time elected. In the Pennsylvania

legislature he has been very earnest in advocating measures in the interest of education. His bill providing for a county uniformity of textbooks to be determined by a majority vote of the citizens of each county of the State is one that commends itself to the careful consideration of everyone.

He is a prominent member in several secret societies: Independent Order of Odd Fellows; withdrew in 1873 and became one of the charter members of King David Lodge, No 826, at Dunbar, of which he was the first Noble Grand; has filled all the offices of the subordinate lodge; was Grand Lodge Representative several times from King David, and has been since 1874 a member of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania of I O O F. He was charter member of Dunbar lodge No 410, K of P, organized October, 1873, withdrew March 23, 1889, and organized a lodge at Leisenring and at present is its Grand Lodge Representative; has filled all the offices of the subordinate lodge; and has been a member of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania since 1874. He is a member of the Junior O U A M and has passed the chairs; was representative to the State Council at Wilkesbarre, July, 1888, and Harrisburg, July, 1889.

He was married August 25, 1865, to Rebekah Woodward, daughter of Davis and Mary Woodward, natives of Dunbar township. Mr Beatty has seven children: Louella B Beatty, Mary F Beatty, Davis W Beatty, Sarah J Beatty, Charles F Beatty, James L Beatty, and Robert E Beatty.

Mr Beatty is a Presbyterian and for four years past, has been elder in the Leisenring church. He is clerk of the session and has been a delegate three years to the Presbytery. He was elected in 1888 by the Redstone Presbytery to the Synod at Erie City, Penna.

Bios: Charles Sherrer Beatty, 1843 - : Dunbar Twp, Fayette Co

Hon. Charles Sherrer BEATTY, a leading citizen and successful farmer of Dunbar Township, was born in Dunbar Township on the farm where he now resides July,28,1843.He is the son James and Sarah Jane (Sherrer) Beatty. James Beatty was born July 25,1822 in Dunbar Township, where he devoted

his life to farming. He was a son of John and Isabelle (Hyndman) Beatty.

John Beatty was born in New Jersey near Trenton, about 1796.He and his two brothers, James the oldest and Samuel the youngest, came over the mountains from New Jersey and settled in Dunbar Township near Laurel Furnace about 1816,they being accompanied by their mother. James Beatty, the great-grandfather, was born in Ireland and with several brothers came to this country, settling near Trenton in New Jersey, prior to the Revolutionary war. He and some brothers were soldiers in the Revolutionary war. John, a brother, was captured by the indians in 1783 and burned to death. James Beatty died about 1790.The family remained in New Jersey until about 1816, when the three sons, as stated above, settled with their mother in Fayette County. The family was one of the wealthy families of the country, but converted their property into Continental money, which became worthless. James Beatty, the oldest son of James Beatty, the first American ancestor, remained in Fayette County, PA until his death about 1850.He left four children ,one son and three daughters. Thomas, the son, married a Miss Keffer, was a soldier in the Union army during the Civil war and died in 1886,leaving three children: Mattie, who married and moved to Illinois; Mary Jane, who married J.S. Showetter, of Virginia (now West Virginia); and Margaret, who never married.

Samuel; the youngest son of James, the great-grandfather, was engaged in the manufacture of paper. Later became interested in the manufacture of woolen goods at New Haven, Fayette County, and accumulated great wealth, and afterwards engaged in the mercantile business in Philadelphia. He moved to

Bellville, Washington county, where he was engaged in the mercantile business. About 1840 he went to Washington, Pa, where he for twenty years was considered as the largest wool dealer in the county. He died about 1894;being about ninety-four years of age. He left four children: Mary A., widow; Preston, a resident of Washington, Pa; Elizabeth, married a Mr. Smith and resides in Allegheny, Pa, Gazella, married a minister and went West. The mother of James, John and Samuel Beatty, died in Fayette county about 1830..John Beatty, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born in 1796,and married Isabelle
Hyndman, a native of Fayette county about 1820.Six children blessed that union; James (father) born July,27,1822; Mary Jane, deceased wife of James Graham (deceased), resided in Dunbar Township, where Mr.  Graham died (about 1884) and left three children: Geo.B., John S., and Thomas, all of whom reside on the homestead; Samuel, never married and died in 1891; John died in 1848 at the age of twenty years; Joseph, married Miss Lydia Humbert, of Fayette county, and left three children: John C of Fayette county, married ; William, a resident of Allegheny, Pa; Florence, unmarried, resides at home with her mother; Sarah, married Uriah McNatt, resides in Redstone township and has three children:

Isabella, Amanda, Katherine; and James. James Beatty married July 26,1842 Miss Sarah Jane Sherrer, daughter of Charles Sherrer, of Baltimore, the latter a native of Germany, born about 1786,Jane Sherrer was born in September,1823.Nine children were born to James and Jane (Sherrer) Beatty; Charles S; Mary married John Long and resides in Dunber Township and whose children were: Granville, Albert, Emma, Clara, Queen, Samuel and Pearl: Isabell, married William Long and has one child; John C, who married Miss Ella Kelley,and both are dead, leaving no children; James W. a resident of North Union township married Miss Mary E Ache, of Uniontown and has five children: Blanche, John,
James, Edgar and Elizabeth; Alice, unmarried, and resides at home; Emma married Charles Sherrer and has four children: Gertrude, Grace, Fern and Wilber.

Charles Sherrer Beatty attended the common schools of Fayette county. He left school when eighteen years of age to engage in farming and teaching-farming in the summer and teaching in the winter. On August 25,1863,he married to Miss Rebecca Woodward, daughter of Davis and Mary (Boyd) Woodward, of Dunbar Township, Pa. Eight children bless that union: Luella B, wife of Osmond Thatcher of Moundsville, W.VA, now of Dunbar township, and has one child, Sidney; Mary Florence, married Thomas Hughes, an engineer of Scranton, Pa and resides at Plymouth, Luzerne county, Pa. and has four children: Annie, Maggie, Edna and Llewellen; Davis Woodward, married Miss Annie Hankins and has four children:

John, Robert, Lee, Lena May, and Davis Dempsey, and resides in Dunbar Township: Sarah, married William A Hankins, formerly of Virginia, but at present resides in Dunbar township and has four children: Helen

Rebekah, ames Alfred, Flodoris and Rhea Lafayette of Dunbar Township; Charles S, a student of the Allegheny Theological seminary (Presbyterian) and who will graduate in the class of 1900;James Lee, at home; Robert Earl, at home. Mr. Charles S Beatty purchased his present farm in 1869;it is valuable and contains one hundred and twenty-five acres of land well improved and in a high state of cultivation. Mr Beatty is one of the successful farmers of the county. He has taken an active interest in every move to advance the agricultural interests of the county. He and his ancestors have been lifelong Democrats; and leaders of as well as active workers in the party. Mr Beatty is strong in his convictions, yet liberal in his views and is deservedly by popular with all classes.In 1873-4 he served as secretary of the Democratic county committee; has served fourteen years as a member of the school board and secretary of the same for Dunbar Township and previous to this taught seventeen terms in the public schools of Dunber township. He is one of the best and most efficient school directors the Township has ever had. He was nominated and elected on the Democratic ticket in 1888,and again in 1890,from Fayette County to the House of Representatives of Pennsylvania, which office he filled with honor to himself and credit to the County. He was nominated in 1894 on the Democratic ticket for State Senator, but was defeated as were the Democratic nominees nearly all over the county. Mr Beatty introduced a number of bills of interest to the county while in legislature, but as his party was in the minority, many measures were defeated for party reasons.Mr Beatty is a member of the presbyterian church at Leisenring and has been an elder since the organization of the church. He has been a member of King David Lodge,No.826,Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Dunbar, for many years. He is a member of Leisenring Lodge, No 334 K.P., formerly of Dunbar Lodge, No 410 and has been secretary of the same for many years. He is a member of the Junior Order of American

Merchanics, Leisenring Council, No 184,and secretary of same; also a member and secretary of Dunbar Grange, No 1022,A member of and secretary of Fayette County, Pomono Grange, No 49. Mr Beatty is a man of pleasing address, unimpeachable business integrity and splendid intellectual endowment.

Bios: John R BEATTY, 1844 - : Fayette Co


Quoted form Nelson's Biographical Dictionary and Historical book of Fayette County.

John R BEATTY, a sucessful merchant at No.110 North Pittsburg Street, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, was born at Blairsville, Indiana county, Pa. March 16,1844. He is the son of Peter and Minerva (Armstrong) Beatty, the former of Irish and the latter of Scotch nationality. Peter Beatty was a carpenter and contractor and died in 1889, his wife dying in 1848. Mr & Mrs Beatty had four sons and one daughter; Samuel C, Oliver W, Alvin C, John R, and Mrs Nancy J Kauffman. John R Beatty received his education principally

in the public schools of Cumberland, Md, and then followed steam boating on the Ohio river from 1859 to 1861. July 5,1861, he enlisted in the First Kentucky Battery, served until mustered out at Camp Joe Holt, September 9, 1864; re-enlisted March 22,1865; at Greensburg, Pa Company I, Third Pennsylvania Volunteers, under Hancock, in which he served until honorably discharged at New York, March 22,1866. He took part in the struggles of Stone River, Pittsburg Landing, Chickamanga and other battles, and starting with Sherman on his march to the sea, was sent back to aid Thomas in Crushing Hood at Nashville. He was on the guard booth passed after shooting of Lincoln and also stood on guard when Mrs.Surratt was executed. At the battle of Perrysville his horse was shot and fell on him and when he was taken from under the animal, he was pronounced dead. He had many escapes, but was never wounded. Leaving the

army, he was engaged for five years as a brakeman and for seventeen years as a car inspector on the B.& O. railraod from Pittsburg to Connellsville, and closed his present mercantile business in Connellsville, to which he has been devoted ever since. April 9,1867, John R Beatty was married at Blairsville,

Indiana County, Pa by Rev. John S Wakefield to Minerva Jane Duncan, a daughter of Thomas and Eliza (Jellison) Duncan, who were of scotch nationality. To Mr. & Mrs Beatty have been born two sons and a daughter; George Plummer who married Nellie Snow, and has two sons (Everett and Ralph); Emma J., and

Thomas D., now serving in Company D, Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteers, which has won renown for bravery in its campaign in the Philippine Islands. Mr. Beatty pleasant and courteous and has won the confidence of all who know him. He has done well in business, and has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. He is a democrat in politics and holds membership in Penn Council,No.30, Order of

Chosen Friends, General Worth Lodge, No.386, I.O.O.F., and the Veteran Legion. He and his wife are members of the Connellsville Methodist Episcopal church.

Bios: Ba-Be Surnames: History of Luzerne County, by H.C. Bradsby, 1893

BATES, William H.

WILLIAM H. BATES, miner, Duryea, was born in the County of Durham, England, October 13, 1849, and is son of Henry and Matilda (Cranston) Bates, natives of the same place, who reared a family of four children, of whom our subject is the youngest. He went to work in the mines about the year 1859, and came to the United States in the summer of 1873, settling in Scranton, where he lived until 1881, when he took up his residence in Duryea. Mr. Bates was united in marriage December 16, 1878, with Hannah J., daughter of George and Henrietta (Payne) Glover, natives of Westmoreland, England. Their union has been blessed with the following issue: William F., born June 3, 1880; John E., born August 10, 1882, and Mary J., born January 7, 1885. Our subject is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of the I.O.O.F.,

the A.O.U.W., and K. of M.S. In politics he is an adherent of the Republican party.

Bios: Ba-Be Surnames: History of Luzerne County, by H.C. Bradsby, 1893

BATES, William H.

WILLIAM H. BATES, horse dealer, Parsons, was born in Washington, D.C., July 29, 1861, and is a son of William and Mary (Barenger) Bates, natives of Washington, D.C., and of New England origin. Mr. Bates came from Washington to Parsons, this county, in May, 1884, and engaged in the horse trade, which he has extensively carried on since, sometimes having on hand as many as thirty five horses. He generally buys his stock in the western States and ships them to the East. Mr. Bates is a stanch Democrat, always

faithful to the cause of that party.

Bios: Ba-Be Surnames: History of Luzerne County, by H.C. Bradsby, 1893

BATEY, George W.

GEORGE W. BATEY, proprietor of the meat market at No. 324 East Main street, Plymouth, was born September 2, 1857, at Hartlepool, England, and is the ninth in the family of ten children of Atkinson and Elizabeth (Clousten) Batey, both also natives of England, the former born in the County of Durham, the latter in Northumberland, and of Scotch origin. Mr. Batey was educated in his native land, and the family came to America in 1870, locating at South Wilkes-Barre, this county, where they remained nine months, after which they removed to Plymouth, where, in 1871, the father of our subject established the meat business. Since the father's death in 1881, the business has been carried on by George W., who was a former partner. The neat brick block where his market and residence are located was recently built by the subject of this sketch, who has spared no pains in making it one of the finest and best markets in the borough. His many patrons are loud in their praises both as to the quality of his meats and the neat manner in which they are prepared for the cuisine. Mr. Batey was married, April 8, 1879, to Miss Jennie, daughter of Thomas and Ann (Smiles) Fawcett, natives of Durham, England, and six children have been born to

this union: Bessie, John A., Margaret, George F., Ethel and Helen. Mr. Batey is a Republican, and for three years has been councilman for Plymouth borough. For four years he has served in the National Guard of Pennsylvania. The family attend the Presbyterian Church.

Bios: Ba-Be Surnames: History of Luzerne County, by H.C. Bradsby, 1893

BEATTY, Patrick A.

PATRICK A. BEATTY, miner, Plymouth. This experienced miner was born January 17, 1833, in County Mayo, Ireland, and is the second in the family of seven children of Charles and Kate (Conway) Beatty, also natives of Ireland. Our subject was educated in the place of his birth, and in 1864 he came to America, settling in Schuylkill county, where he was engaged in mining for about one year. He then came to Plymouth, Pa., where in 1866 he assisted in sinking the famous Nottingham Shaft, where, when it was

completed, he began working as a miner, continuing as such until 1880, when he went West, locating near Denver, Colo., and there mined silver one year. In 1882 he returned to Plymouth, and resumed his old occupation at the Nottingham Shaft, where he has been employed ever since. Mr. Beatty was united in marriage February 11, 1858, with Miss Margaret, daughter of Michael and Ann (Fraley) Murry, natives of Galway, Ireland, which union has been blessed with four children, viz.: Charles, a resident of Olyphant,

Pa., Michael, a resident of Wilkes-Barre; and Annie and Maggie, residing at home. The family attend the Catholic Church, and in his political preferences Mr. Beatty is a Democrat.

History: Local: Chapters XLIV-XLV: Boroughs of Hatboro' and Jenkintown: Bean's 1884 History of Montgomery Co, PA

THE UNION LIBRARY. -An institution that was established one hundred and thirty years ago for the dissemination of useful knowledge in this county and has flourished ever since certainly merits some notice in a historical work of this nature…….. However, nothing was done towards the formation thereof

until the beginning of the summer of 1755, when the same came to beseriously considered on the 19th of July, when a meeting of conference was held on the premises by the Rev. Charles Beatty, Rev. Joshua Potts, John Lukens and Joseph Hart, when a plan for establishing the same was unanimously agreed upon.

The "Instrument of Partnership," as it was called, was signed by

Charles Beatty, Jonathan DuBois, Joseph Hart, John Lukens and others

At the annual meeting held November 1, 1755, John Jarret, Samuel Erwin and Joseph Hart were elected directors, William Loofbourrow, secretary and Daniel Thomas, treasurer.

At the directors' meeting held on December 19th the sum of £44 7s was given in charge to the Rev. Charles Beatty, who was directed to send the catalogue of books ordered to the stationer in London, who was to secure the same……..In August 1757, John Lukens was authorized to make a purchase of

books to the extent of ten pounds, which were bought on the following November 5th. On this occasion £19 19s. 6d. were given to Mr. Beatty for an additional purchase in London, which he was ordered to get insured." These were received October 24, 1758, and were found to be "much damaged on shipboard from water." At the meeting held February 10, 1759, the secretary was permitted to hire out books, the charge for large folios being eighteen pence, quartos one shilling, and all smaller volumes six pence. This year

the yearly payments, loans and fines amounted to £13 10.s. The secretary, Joshua Potts, was allowed one pound for the use of the room and attendance. May 10, 1760, books were purchased of Charles Beatty to the amount of £6 7s. and as he was going to England, he was requested to make an additional

purchase there. Labels were ordered to be printed and placed in the books.

History: Local: Chapters XVI - XIX : Davis's 1877 History of Northampton Co, PA

This discussion was about the army.

We had for our chaplain a zealous Presbyterian minister, Mr. Beatty,1 who complained to me that the men did not generally attend his prayers and exhortations. When they enlisted they w ere promised, besides pity and provisions, a gill of rum a day, which was punctually served out to them, half in the morning and half in the evening ; and I observed they were punctual in attending to receive it; upon which I said to Mr. Beatty: 'It is perhaps, below the dignity of your profession to act as steward of, the rum; but if you were to distribute it, out only just after prayers, you would have then, all about you.' He liked the thought, undertook the task, and, with the help of a few hands to measure out the liquor, executed it to satisfaction,and never were prayers wore punctually attended. So that I think this method preferable to the punishment inflicted by some military laws for non-attendance on divine service." This was a novel way of inducing men to be devotional, but it was certainly most ingenious, as well as original.

1 "The Rev. Charles Beatty, a native of Ireland obtained a pretty accurate classical education in his own country; but his circumstances being narrow, several of the first years of his residence in America in the business of a peddler. He halted one day at Log College (Neshaminy Bucks County). The peddler to Mr. Tennant's surprise addressed him in correct Latin, and appeared to be familiar with that language. After much conversation –in which Mr. Beatty manifested ferverant piety, and considerable religious knowledge as well as a good education in other respects Mr. Tennant said 'Go and sell the contents of your pack and return immediately and study with me. It w ill be a sin for you to continue a peddler when you can be so

much more useful in another profession.' He accepted Mr. Tennant's offer and in due time became an eminent minister. He was chaplain in the army, under Dr. Franklin on the Lehigh. He died at Barbadoes, where he had gone to solicit benefactions for the New Jersey College." - Miller's Life of Dr. Rogers.

History: Part 4 - Pages 90-136. - CHRISTOPHER GIST'S JOURNALS, 1750-53: William M. Darlington, 1893.


Bouquet's army, in 1764, made their twelfth encampment here, after leaving Fort Pitt, from which Captain Hutchins computed the distance to be one hundred and sixteen miles. They found "Tuscarawas a place exceedingly beautiful in situation, lands rich, and on the northwest side an entire level plain, upwards of five miles in circumference," and "from the number of ruined houses, supposed the Indians who inhabited the place and are with the Delawares to have had about one hundred and fifty warriors." ("Journal of Bouquet's Expedition, 1765," p. 13, original edition.)

This is a noted spot in the early history of Ohio. Christian Fred Post, the Moravian Missionary, established a station on the north side of the Tuscarawas, in the present Stark County, in the year 1761, and erected, it is claimed, the first house in Ohio. ("Heckwelder's Narrative," p. 61. "Life of Zeisberger," by De Schweinitz, p. 256. "Beatty's Journal," 1766, p. 40.) Fort [105] Laurens, the most western military post erected by the Americans during the Revolution, stood just below the site of Tuscarawas town.

December 25, 1750. Christmas Day.‹This, no doubt, was the first Protestant religious service ever held within the limits of the present State of Ohio. The first Protestant sermon was preached by the Rev. Charles Beatty, on the 21st of September, 1766, at Newcomerstown, about sixteen miles farther up the Muskingum. The Rev. George Duffield preached in the afternoon of the same day, at the same place. These ministers were Presbyterian Missionaries, sent out by the Synods of New York and Philadelphia.

("Beatty's Journal of a Two Month's Tour West of the Allegheny Mountains in 1766," London,

1768, pp. 55-56.)


Of one thing in this connection we are certain: namely, that Presbyterianism was the primitive religion of the Juniata Valley, and of this particular part of it. Of the first civilized men who took possession of this region that now forms Blair County, the great majority were Presbyterians. One hundred and ninety years ago, in 1756, Colonel Armstrong of Cumberland County, Pa., at the head of three hundred men, marched from Carlisle through Blair County to destroy the Indian town of Kittanning, west of the Allegheny Mountains. The Rev. Charles Beatty, a Presbyterian minister, accompanied Colonel Armstrong as Chaplain of his regiment. The troops' rendezvous, both in going and returning from this expedition, was at the "Beaver Dams," the flat just below where Fort Fetter was built a few years later. While encamped here, Rev. Beatty held divine services for the soldiers - the first religious services ever held in Blair County.

Church: Part II - Rocky Spring Presbyterian Church, Edifice Centennial Celebration, 1894:

Letterkenney Twp, Franklin Co, PA


The first ministers, most of whom had come from abroad, were soundly learned men, and possessed of correct theological creed, but their piety was less spiritual and earnest. A different spirit was needed for a great church of a great country. How was the want to be met? In a way we would little have expected. He sent here that most godly and eloquent man, Rev. George Whitfield, bringing with him from England, the burning spirit of the Oxford Methodists……..The God of infinite wisdom and power has his plan ready. In the Log College, He has a band of ten evangelists prepared, with the same doctrines and the same spirit; but with different gifts, and different powers, as soon as his plans are ripe; to spring forth over the whole land and spread the system in every quarter, and plant the standard at every point But little is this glorious movement understood.

The names of these blessed men, all taught in the Log College, sanctified by the same spirit, and bring with them the same love to Christ and souls, must be had in remembrance. They were the four great sons of Tennent, Gilbert, William, John and Charles; the two brothers, Samuel and John Blair, Samuel Finley, William Robinson, John Rowland, and Charles Beatty. These were the men whom God prepared and sent abroad to disseminate the cause over the whole land.


No. 33.

John Beatty.

Bios: BEATTY, E. Calvin : Oil City, Venango Co, PA

E. Calvin Beatty, of Oil City, has devoted his business life to operations in the Pennsylvania and Mid-Continent oil fields, and his extensive holdings and prestige indicate that he possesses the high character

and substantial qualities for which all the members of his family have been distinguished, as well as the discernment necessary to the efficient administration of his various properties. The Beattys, father and sons, have contributed materially to progress in the conduct of the oil industry no less than to its expansion, their operations representing an appreciable share in its continued growth...

E. Calvin Beatty was born March 10, 1860, on his father's farm in Mercer county, Pa., in a log house standing near the Craig school house. He moved with his parents to Rouseville March 27, 1867, and received his education in the public schools of that borough. He began work in the oil fields at such

an early age that he witnessed practically all of the development of the industry, which had hardly departed from the crude first methods in his boyhood. When twelve years old he worked in the power house on his father's production reversing the engine when it was used in "pulling" a well, a process done away with by the invention of the reverse action on steam engines, and he became familiar with all the ordinary duties about the wells within the next few years. In 1879 he was employed on the Quintuple tract

near Song Bird, in the Bradford field, by the E. Strong Company. In 1884 he became a member of the Oil City Oil Exchange, upon which he operated profitable until the next year. But speculation in pipe line certificates had declined and he resumed activities as an operator, in which capacity he has since been most prominently associated with the oil business. From 1884 he was in partnership with O. H. Stron and his brother H. B. Beatty under the firm name of H. B. Beatty & Company, having a tract of 150 acres at Tiona, in Warren count, where they brought in some very good wells, E. C. Beatty and his father-in-law, William Helm, eventually taking over this property, which they have worked as Beatty & Helm. Mr. Beatty has also been interested with the firm known as the Helm, Meley Company in operations in Warren county. He has also been engaged in gas production, but an unfortunate investment in that line a few years ago swept away his accumulations, leaving him to start life over again. However, his experience led him into profitable oil operations in which he has more than retrieved his losses, his holdings in the shallow sand development in Oklahoma proving highly remunerative. He originally had eight hundred acres in that territory, near Nowata, but he has been selling gradually, still retaining ninety acres in fee, with twenty-seven producing wells. For a number of hears Mr. Beatty was manager of the Oakwood Farm & Garden Company, whose property in Cranberry township, near Oil City, ranks with the leading horticultural establishments of the United States, its shipments of cut flowers reaching enormous proportions.

He owns and manages a fine truck farm in Dorchester county, Md., on the "East Shore" near Chesapeake Bay, having acquired 180 acres in two pieces, all of which is under cultivation. There are fifty-five acres in wheat. He spends the summers there with his family.

On Jan. 22, 1884, Mr. Beatty was married at Tidioute, Pa., to Barbara Ida Elizabeth Helm, who was born July 19, 1864, daughter of William Helm, and they are the parents of the following children:

Elliott Braham, born Nov. 29, 1884,..; Mabel Alicia, born Jan. 3, 1886, ..; Maude Irene, born Dec. 2, 1888, ..; Vina Marguerite, born Sept, 22, 1895..; Clara Barbara, born April 16, 1898, ..; Marshall Helm, born June 29, 1903,..; Robert Bruce, born Aug. 3, 1904,.. The family have lived in Oil City since 1888, ... Mr. Beatty is a prominent Odd Fellow, having been a member of Oil City Lodge, No. 589, for over thirty years and treasurer of that body for several years. Politically he is a Republican.

Venango County, Pennsylvania Her Pioneers and People, p. 547

Bios: BEATTY, Samuel : Venango Co, PA

Samuel BEATTY, pumper and oil producer, was born in 1845, in the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and is a son of William and Mary (English) Beatty, of Scotch-Irish ancestry. William Beatty was a member of a regiment that was raised in Pittsburgh to serve in the Mexican war and was killed in one of its hardest battles. Our subject received his education in the public schools of his native city, and was employed in the iron mills there until March 29, 1864, when he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Sixteenth Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. He was wounded at Cold Harbor June 3, 1864, and on recovering was transferred to Company I, Sixteenth Reserves. After being mustered out he returned to Pittsburgh and engaged in farming in the vicinity of that city, subsequently removing to Lawrence county. In June, 1877, he came to Venango county, and engaged in coal mining for Findley Surrenna, and afterward worked for the Phillips Brothers, oil producers, with whom he remained four years. In 1882 he entered the employ of J. N. Hovis, with whom he has since remained, being interested in two producing wells. He was married in 1863 to Sarah B. Haslet, who died in 1872 leaving four children: William J.; Andrew S.; Samuel W., and Thomas J. In December, 1876, he was married to Mrs. Miranda E. Jacobs nee Surrenna and by this union has one son, Edward E. Mr. Beatty is a Republican and a member of John M.

Phipps Post, G. A. R.

History of Warren County, Pennsylvania

Edited by J. S. Schenck-Assisted by W. S. Rann

Syracuse, N. Y. -D. Mason & Co., Publishers -1887

Beaty, David, was born in Beaver county, Pa., on the 26th day of October, 1811. His paternal ancestry is derived from Scotland. His grandfather, William Beaty, emigrated from Scotland to Newburg, on the Hudson, in New York State, and thence removed to Beaver county, in this state, nearly eighty years ago. He had a family of three daughters and four sons, of the latter of whom William, Jr., the eldest, was the father of David Beaty. William, the younger, was born in Newburg, N. Y., in 1764; could distinctly remember having seen Washington; served in the War of 1812, being stationed at Erie to protect the country from an apprehended invasion of the enemy, and died at his home in Beaver county on the 5th of June, 1859. He was a farmer by occupation, a Democrat of the old school, and a consistent member of the Presbyterian church. His wife, Mary, had four brothers and three sisters, the children of David Clark, of Irish birth and parentage. He was a giant in stature, measuring six feet two and one half inches in his stockings. He died in Beaver county about the year 1822. Mary (Clark) Beaty died in the summer of 1868, of palsy. William and Mary Beaty reared a family of seven sons and six daughters. Of this family of thirteen children, David Beaty was the sixth. Just previous to his nineteenth birthday David Beaty came to Chautauqua county, N. Y., where he remained at work on farms for four years, removing, at the expiration of that time, to Tionesta, Warren county, Pa. There he engaged in lumbering in the forests for a period of five years, when he went to West Hickory, near Tidioute, and was married November 16, 1843, to Abigail Mead, youngest daughter of Joseph Mead; uniting the labors of a farmer with those of a former vocation. At the beginning of the oil excitement, more than twenty years ago, he commenced his operations in petroleum on Oil Creek, eight miles south of Titusville. This occupation gradually assumed larger proportions, and in time absorbed Mr. Beaty's entire time and attention. The material result, however, has been most gratifying. The boy who left home with one dollar and seventy-five cents in his pocket, and with venturesome daring, walked 130 miles to the destination which he had selected as the field for his labors, was bound to succeed, and has succeeded beyond his original calculations. After erecting and furnishing the buildings in which he now lives, Mr. Beaty removed hither from West Hickory on the 11th of March, 1873. His home farm consists of 170 ½ acres, besides which he now owns sixty acres in one lot above here, 100 acres on Hatch Run, etc., making more than five hundred acres that he owns in Warren county, and nearly four thousand acres in Dakota. Mr. Beaty is a stalwart member of the Democratic party, and a member of the Presbyterian church of Warren. Joseph Mead was born in Northunberland county, Pa., June 25, 1772; came to where Meadsville now stands, when it was a wilderness, with his eldest brother, David Mead. Joseph was sixteen years old at that time. They had some narrow escapes. Their father, Darius Mead, was taken prisoner by the Indians and killed about thirty miles from Franklin. Joseph remained there one year; returned to Northumberland, and went to school; acquired as good an education as he could possibly; was married in 1794 to Hannah Boone, a relative of Daniel Boone, of Kentucky; emigrated to near Youngsville, Warren county, in 1799 with his brother Darius, and their families. They built the first grist and saw-mill in the county. Joseph afterward came to reside three miles below Warren, on the Allegheny River, and died there in 1846.

The family of Mr. and Mrs. Beaty consists of three sons-O. W., David W., and Albert B., the last named of whom died on the 20th of September, 1851. The other two are still residing in Warren county.

  Back to Pennsylvania Records...

Last update: