HOME PAGE | AMANDA AND JOSEPH BARTLETT'S PAGE | SEARCH | WHAT'S NEW | GUEST BOOK | E-MAIL
[This page is part of the Jesse Bartlett-Frances Callaway Web Site]
Amanda Monroe Estes
And Some of Her Ancestors
[Click on a supernumeral to go to the
[Click on a source number to return to the text]
Some of Amanda Monroe ESTES's lines can be traced back six generations.
In the chart below, a person's father has a number that is twice the child's number and a person's mother has a number that is one number higher than the child's father's number. Thus the father of number 6 is number 12 and the mother of number 6 is number 13.
1. Amanda Monroe ESTES was born on 6 Jun 1822 in Tennessee.1,2,3 She died on 18 Oct 1851 in Navarro County, Texas, at age 29.4,5,6,7 She died of yellow fever.8 She probably was buried near Taos (Porter's Bluff), Navarro County, Texas, as that is where the family was living when she died.
To read about her husband, their
2. James D. ESTES was born circa 1786.9 He died on 27 Dec 1851 in Washington County, Texas.10 He was born in Tennessee or Virginia, was in Missouri by 1820 (where he worked in silver mines), and moved to Texas after 1825. He was an early resident of Fort Bend County, Texas. He died from yellow fever during an epidemic. His probate estate was valued at more than $7,000.11,12
3. Eunice WILLIAMS died before 1851.13,14 She must have died before her husband's death in late December 1851, as she does not appear to be listed as an heir to his estate.15
6. Nimrod WILLIAMS was born on 10 Feb 1750 in Laurens County, South Carolina.16,17 He died on 18 Feb 1820 in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, at age 70.18,19
7. Christiana GRIFFIN was born in 1758.20 She died in 1811 in Davidson County, Tennessee.21,22
12. Daniel WILLIAMS was born in 1718.23 He died between 16 Apr 1793 and Jan 1794.24
13. _____ ECHOLS was born in Virginia.25 She died before 1786.26
14. David GRIFFIN
15. Susan GARNETT
26. William ECHOLS was born in 1699 in King and Queen County, Virginia.27 He died on 8 Apr 1771 in Halifax County, Virginia.28
27. Sarah TURNER died in Feb 1778 in Halifax County, Virginia.29
52. John ECHOLS was born in 1650 in Lunenberg County, Virginia.30 He died in 1712.31
53. Mary CAVE was born in 1670.32 She died in 1712.33
106. John CAVE died in 1721.34
107. Elizabeth TRAVERS
1. Holy Bible (Philadelphia,
Pa.: M. Carey & Son, 1817), p. 678 (date only). This bible was originally owned by
Jesse Bartlett and Frances Callaway Bartlett and was in the possession of Ruby Lynn
Shelton, Rice, Tex., in 1974. On the flyleaf, believed to be in Jesse's hand, is
"Jesse Bartlett his Book."
2. Holy Bible (1873) (date only). This bible was originally owned by J. M. Bartlett and Mollie Clopton and was in the possession of Ruby Lynn Shelton, Rice, Tex., in 1974.
3. Lineage of Mrs. Bessie Lee Bartlett Buchanan, Founders and Patriots of the Republic of Texas: The Lineages of the Members of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (Austin, Tex.: The Daughters of the Republic of Texas, 1963), p. 556 (date only).
4. Bartlett-Callaway bible, above, p. 679.
5. Bartlett-Clopton bible, above.
6. Lineage of Mrs. Bessie Lee Bartlett Buchanan, above.
7. Supposition as to place, based on family's residence.
8. Tammy Van Horn, computer files sent to Roger Bartlett, 19 Feb 2001.
9. The Estes and Van Horn Family Page (database LVH1903), online http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com, downloaded 5 Feb 2001.
10. Tammy Van Horn, electronic mail to Roger Bartlett, 10 Sep 2000.
11. Probate Records, Washington County, Texas, Estate of James D. Estes, Deceased, file 150 (as to value of estate).
12. Tammy Van Horn, electronic mail to Roger Bartlett, 10 Sep 2000 (as to all information except value of estate).
13. Supposition as to date, based on list of heirs of husband's estate.
14. Tammy Van Horn, 19 Feb 2001 computer files, above.
15. Probate Records, Washington County, Texas, Estate of James D. Estes, Deceased, file 150.
16. Robert Williams, electronic mail to Roger Bartlett, 12 Jul 1998 (giving only the year and not naming the place).
17. Jerry A. Simpson, Tyler, Tex., computer file sent to Roger Bartlett, 21 Mar 1999.
19. Williams Cemetery, Davidson County, Tennessee, online ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tn/davidson/cemeteries/williams.txt, downloaded 17 Mar 2001 (stating that he died in Feb 1820 and not naming the place).
20. Jerry A. Simpson, 23 Mar 1999 computer files, above.
22. Williams Cemetery, Davidson County, Tennessee, online, above (stating that she died in 1811 and not naming the place).
23. Robert Williams, electronic mail to Roger Bartlett, 12 Jul 1998.
24. Will of Daniel Williams Sr., 16 Apr 1793, online http://searches1.rootsweb.com/usgenweb/archives/tn/davidson/wills/wliams01.txt, attributed to Will Book 1, p. 32, Davidson County, Tenn., downloaded 18 Mar 2001 (probated during January term of court in 1794).
25. Jerry A. Simpson, 23 Mar 1999 computer files, above.
Click here to go to the top of this page
Click here to go to Amanda and Joseph Bartlett's page
Click here to go to the home page
Click here to sign or view the guest book
This page maintained by Roger A. Bartlett
Last revised on 11/27/02