HOME PAGE | JOE AND AMANDA CLAYTON'S PAGE | SEARCH | WHAT'S NEW | GUEST BOOK | E-MAIL
Dixie Rena Clayton
[Click on a supernumeral to go to the source
[Click on a source number to return to the text]
Dixie Rena CLAYTON, third daughter and sixth child of Joseph Alvey CLAYTON and Margaret Amanda POOLE, was born on 4 Apr 1863 in Navarro County, Texas.1,2,3 She married James M. REID on 16 Dec 1880 in Navarro County, Texas.4,5,6 She died after 1938.7 They lived on a ranch, Hacienda El Carocol, near La Cruz, Tamalipas, Mexico.
1. Maggie Highnote, undated records
(giving only the date). These five pages are marked "Record from Family Bible
(Clayton)" on one page and "Family Record" on another. Two pages are on
letterhead of Charles H. Highnote, 616 S. 15th St., Corsicana, Tex. Some or all are
thought to have been written by Mrs. Highnote from a family bible. The bible probably is
now in the San Jacinto battlefield museum, near Houston, Texas. Joe Guthrie, Corsicana,
Tex., provided copies to Roger Bartlett on 31 May 1973.
2. Frank W. Johnson, A History of Texas and Texans, ed. Eugene C. Barker and Ernest William Winkler (Chicago, Ill.: The American Historical Society, 1914), vol. IV, p. 1727, s.v. "Mitchell S. Clayton."
3. Supposition as to place, based on family's residence.
4. Navarro County, Texas Marriages, vol. 1, 1846-1888 (Corsicana, Tex.: The Navarro County Gen. Soc'y, 1987), p. 59 (citing Navarro County, Texas Marriage Records, vol. III, p. 528).
5. Frank W. Johnson, A History of Texas and Texans, above, vol. IV, pp. 1727-28, s.v. "Mitchell S. Clayton" (not giving the date or place and giving his name as James M. Read).
6. Susie Robinson, Corsicana, Tex., letter believed to be to Will Bachman in California, 18 Sep 1938, p. 5 (not giving the date or place).
7. Ibid., p. 1 (stating that "Aunt Dixie is the only one left now").
Click here to go to the top of this page
Click here to go to the beginning of the sources
Click here to go to Joe and Amanda Clayton's page
Click here to go to the home page
Click here to sign or view the guest book
This page maintained by Roger A. Bartlett